Password recovery for folders
In order to provide additional protection of personal data, many users use special programs that allow them to hide and set a password for individual documents or file directories. And although this type of restriction is very reliable, any user with access to the system can reset the keyword.
In general, each special-purpose software differs from other similar programs in that it can be equipped with an internal system for recovering a forgotten password. If you lose access to files, be sure to check the program parameters for the presence of the appropriate functionality.
If you have problems with the accessibility of personal documents and file directories, but in the absence of a built-in recovery system, you can uninstall the program using the basic tools of Windows.
There are also such circumstances that the software that acts as a means of protection cannot be removed through the manager of programs and components. Faced with such difficulties, use our recommendations for removing software with the introduction of Special Programs.
In addition to the above, portable software can be used to protect personal documents, which can only be eliminated by removing the folder from the right-click menu. However, in most cases, such software starts automatically when the OS is turned on, imposing restrictions on deletion, which can be removed by disabling the process in the task manager.
If, due to the disabling of the process, the restrictions on deletion are still preserved, you can use the instructions on Getting rid of unremovable folders.
After following the recommendations, we will clean the system, in particular, the registry from garbage.
Completed cleaning the operating system, restart Windows in any way convenient for you.
Ways to reset access
Today there are quite a number of methods for setting access restrictions on Windows OS, each of which can be reset according to the corresponding instructions. It is important to note here that the protection of personal data can be ensured Not only by system means.
The only significant difference you may encounter when using BIOS settings.
In addition, we will touch on some special-purpose programs that help improve data protection within Windows. If we did NOT take into account the nuances of some software, you can get acquainted with the Similar action by finding the main article on the software on our website or ask a question in the comments.
The password set by the basic means of the operating system can, in fact, be reset by several different approaches. However, taking this into account, each Method used is not capable of causing you any difficulties, even with some inconsistency of actions with our instructions.
Today, little actual Windows XP has many differences in terms of restoring access, if you compare this process with other later distributions. But even so, following the instructions, you will be able to resume unhindered login without any problems.
Note that this operating system provides two possible methods at once to reset access to personal user data.
Generally speaking, Windows 7 does not differ much from the later ones. However, in the case of setting access restrictions, this system has many unique differences related to both the location of the sections and the required actions.
You can restore the ability to log in to this type of Windows by using the basic functionality of changing the secret key. At the same time, having a sufficiently high level of rights, you are given the opportunity to change data for second users.
In the event of critical situations when it is required to completely disable access by entering a secret word, it can be reset. Actions are relevant Not only for your own profile, but also for other existing users.
Operating systems older than the seventh version are very similar to each other in terms of the arrangement of partitions and methods of changing parameters. At the same time, on our website you are provided with unique instructions for a similar process in different OS.
As in the case of the seven, you can change the key, thereby restoring comfortable access to personal data.
Read more: How to change password on Windows 8 and Windows 10
Among other things, it is quite possible to completely disable restrictions on entering the OS.
Of course, there are circumstances in which the installed secret word is unknown to you, and there is no access to the OS settings. Here I can only help you with recommendations for resetting your Microsoft account password.
Disable network password
Following the main topic of this article on resetting and restoring access, it is impossible not to mention the possibility of disabling network restrictions that can greatly affect the user’s actions while using the home network. Here, note that this method applies equally to all operating systems, starting with the seventh version.
Since problems with sharing can directly prevent the connection of third-party equipment, which is most often the role of a printer, you should pay attention to additional instructions. Do not forget to use the Side links as necessary within the framework of our proposed articles.
Reset password via BIOS
Sometimes, due to the loss of access to a laptop or personal computer, you may need methods to reset your password without logging into the operating system. This is where the BIOS comes in. the basic hardware of any motherboard that allows you to manipulate almost all the basic parameters of your device.
To get started, you need to launch the main BIOS menu, which is extremely simple to do, following the instructions in a special section on our website and NOT having any difficulties with protecting the BIOS itself.
After successfully entering the main BIOS control menu, you can proceed in two different ways:
- Use an engineering password;
- Perform a full factory reset.
If there are restrictions on entering the BIOS, you can reset all of its main parameters.
Regardless of the method chosen, the login to the OS will be completely resumed. However, keep in mind that in the event of a massive reset, the best option would be to configure everything as it was before the recommended actions.
How to recover password on a laptop
A password on a personal computer or laptop is the main and most effective means of restricting access of unauthorized persons to the personal data of the owner of the operating system and device. As part of this instruction, we will tell you in detail in what methods and under what circumstances it is possible to perform recovery.
Unlike all the previously mentioned methods, this method can cause you a number of difficulties, since it requires the substitution of system files. But at the same time, if you follow the recommendations, you will get an excellent opportunity not only to reset the password for your account, but immediately replace it with any other.
Each time Windows starts, several additional actions are automatically launched before entering the password, among which we are interested in sethc.Exe. It is this file that is responsible for automatically calling up the Sticky Keys window by pressing the Ctrl, Alt or Shift hot keys sequentially and repeatedly.
It is easy to guess that in order to achieve positive results from the actions taken, it is necessary to take care in advance of enabling the Sticky Keys functionality, guided by the relevant material on our website. Otherwise, the substitution of files will be unsuccessful.
Going directly to the main instructions, remember that any actions with the substitution of system files, even according to recommendations, you do at your own peril and risk.
- After connecting the removable media with the OS and opening the installation window, press the “ShiftF10” keys on the keyboard.
To avoid possible problems in the future, you need to find out the exact letter of the Windows volume. For THESE purposes, you can use a standard notepad by calling the file save window and opening the “My Computer” section.
Now you need to back up the file you are replacing, if you suddenly need to roll back the changes. Manually enter the following command, where the volume letter may vary depending on the specifics of your drive naming:
Copy c: \ Windows \ System32 \ sethc.Exe c: \
Next, you need to use a similar command, Replacing the executable file sethc.Exe with the command term.
Copy c: \ Windows \ System32 \ cmd.Exe c: \ Windows \ System32 \ sethc.Exe
Confirm the actions to copy the file, typed the character “y” from the keyboard and using the “Enter” button.
At each stage, the success of the operation will be marked with appropriate signatures.
After completing the steps Exit the operating system installer and start the OS in standard mode.
- From the Windows welcome screen, click on the “Shift” button on the keyboard five or more times in a row until the “sethc.Exe” window appears.
Now, using the basic command specification for cmd.Exe, enter the following:
On the same line, immediately after the specified command, write down the username, replacing all existing spaces with underscores.
The final step after the username, type your preferred password or leave the space blank to remove the key altogether.
If problems occur, you will be presented with an appropriate error notification.
Upon changing the password, the line “Command completed successfully” will be displayed.
Additionally, it is important to make a reservation that changes can be rolled back to the themes with the same commands, Using a backup copy of the file.
Copy c: \ sethc.Exe c: \ Windows \ System32 \ sethc.Exe
This is where you can finish with this technique.
Using the utility
For cases when users of the Windows operating system face various kinds of difficulties, there are a number of auxiliary programs. One of the most famous utilities is the Offline NT Password Registry editor, designed specifically for collecting passwords.
This software was considered in maximum detail in a special article on the site, within the framework of Windows XP. However, it is important to note here that the utility itself is a universal tool and can be used in any other, even later, Windows distribution.
Modifying registry entries
As part of this method, as well as in the case of the previous instructions, you will need the original OS media. In this case, you can try to use the distribution kit of the eighth or tenth version of the operating system, edit the registry in the earlier seventh version.
The essence of the method lies in the fact that each OS, released later than Windows 7, has a hidden administrator account, thanks to which you can edit other users. However, access to this account can be obtained only by editing the registry branches from under the OS installation window.
- After opening the start page of the installer, use the keyboard shortcut “ShiftF10” to open the command term.
On a new line, enter a special command to open the system registry editor, then press “Enter”.
Among the presented registry branches Expand the item “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE”.
Open the File menu and select the Load Hive section.
Using the OS explorer in the “Load bush” window, go to the directory we specified and select the “SAM” file.
You can choose the name of the downloadable section yourself.
Next, you need to follow a special path, where the “name” will be replaced by the name you specified.
In the list of keys of this registry branch Left-click on the section “F”.
Now, using the window for editing the binary code, find the 0038 term with the numeric parameter 11.
Change the number we specified 11 to 10.
All changes must be saved in the system.
- Open the File menu again and select Unload Hive.
You will now be presented with an additional Administrator account on the user selection screen. By logging in from under this entry, you can change the password of the second users of the topic using the methods that we touched upon in the first method of this article.
And although the prescribed method may seem difficult for a beginner, we recommend using it. This is due to the fact that at any time you can delete the created registry branch by blocking access to the administrator account.
How to set an alarm on a laptop
You can set an alarm clock on a laptop in several ways: using standard Windows utilities, using already installed programs with an additional tool for setting an alarm clock, or thanks to special alarm clock programs. As you can see, there is plenty to choose from. Note that the options for setting the alarm depend on the laptop model; the operating system that is installed is responsible for this.
The standard ways to set an alarm in Windows are, first of all, “Task Scheduler” and “Windows Media Player”. As mentioned above, some programs also provide an alarm tool.
Set the alarm using the “Task Scheduler” in Windows 7 or Windows 8
To do this, you need to start the “Task Scheduler”. For windows 7, just click the “Start” button and drive “Scheduler” into the search. For windows 8, it’s a little harder to find. So, in the search we prescribe “Control Panel”.
Open the program and select “Administration”
In the list of utilities we find the “Task Scheduler” and run it.
To set an alarm, select the action called “Create a simple task”.
A wizard for creating a task will open, which will help you set an alarm. At the first step, specify the name of the task and click “Next”.
After that, indicate the period for the task and click “Next”.
In the next window of the wizard, indicating the date and time of the alarm, as well as the time after which it will again try to wake you up. Continue and click “Next”.
Next, select the action that the alarm should perform. We will follow the advice of the settings wizard and select “Run the program”. Then click “Next”.
Click on the “Browse” button and find a melody that will wake you up in the morning.
Finally, we check all the alarm settings and press the “Finish” button.
We will use a special program Free Alarm Clock. Designed to wake people up professionally. Here all the basic wishes of users are taken into account: simple and understandable setup, setting a melody, waking the computer from sleep mode.
We open a special alarm clock and see a pleasant and simple program interface. We have already been offered to wake up at 9.00 to the standard “Birds” melody, but we will fix everything and the mood for ourselves.
First, remove the already set default alarm. To do this, click on it with the right mouse button, select “Delete”. In the next window, I confirm my intentions and click “Yes”.
Now we create our new alarm clock: by clicking on the green plus, which is located in the top bar of the program.
A form will appear on the screen in order to set the conditions for the alarm:
Time stamping when we need to wake up.
We set the days when the alarm will work.
Let’s write a message that can be displayed along with the work of the alarm clock.
Indicate whether to show this message or not.
Choosing a melody from those already available in the program.
Choosing a melody from those available on the computer.
We select the required sound level of the melody. And below we select additional conditions for the alarm clock.
Save the settings. click “OK”.
We look at the main window of Free Alarm Clock. the alarm is set.
After that, you can close the program, it will still work. This can be seen as the tray icon is lit.
Now let’s set the alarm using the existing program on the computer. this is AIMP.
We open, in fact, the player and in the upper right corner of the window we find the alarm clock icon, which has other functionalities. Now we can verify this.
After clicking on the alarm button in AIMP, a window will appear where the user can work with the scheduler and alarm clock.
The scheduler will help you turn off the computer, pause the playback of songs in the playlist, exit the program, set conditions and time.
2. Go to the “Alarm” tab.
After that we will see an inactive form for filling. We activate it. put a tick in the box, which is located under the button “Scheduler”.
Now we choose when to turn on the computer: “At a given time “or” At a given time “.
Choosing a music track for the alarm. To do this, you can use the search button on the computer among the songs “.” or select from the AIMP playlist.
Then we set the initial volume of the song playback in the alarm clock and, if desired, set a smooth increase in the volume. During what period we can independently indicate or use the standard duration of 100 seconds.
We start setting up. press the “Apply” button. Close the alarm.
How to put a laptop on a shutdown timer
It often happens that you need to leave urgently, and an important file is being downloaded to your laptop. A special timer will help to turn off the equipment after a certain period of time. There are many ways to install it, but they are not always known to a beginner.
How to set a shutdown timer on a laptop in Windows
The operating system does not provide for automatic shutdown by default, but it can set a timer using Several methods.
The first way to set the timer is to use the command line. First you need to turn it on by simultaneously holding down the key “R” and “Win “. A window appears where the “shutdown.S.T N” command is entered. You need to pay attention to the letter N, which means the time in seconds before shutdown. Then it remains to click “OK” and continue working on the PC. A message will appear on the screen notifying the user of the remaining time. After its expiration, all open programs will close (the data is pre-saved), and the laptop will turn off as always.
The Task Scheduler is the faster option. First, you need to call the command term using the “WinR” keys, then write “taskschd.Msc” in it and confirm the action by clicking “OK”. The “Task Scheduler” will appear, where you need to select “Create a simple task”, give it a name, set up a trigger, set the time and date for starting the task. On the left pane, click Action and select Run Program. In the first window enter the command “stutdown”, in the second “-s” and at the end click “Next”. At the set time, the laptop will automatically turn off.
Why is it necessary to put a shutdown timer on a laptop
Automatic shutdown of a computer or laptop is an important function, so every user should be aware of it. When should you use a timer:
- The software is being installed on the computer, but there is no way to wait until the end of the process;
- It is necessary to control how much time the child spends on computer equipment in the absence of parents and whether he turned off the computer at the right time;
- Requires process automation to speed up your laptop.
In addition, the timer will help when scheduling personal time. It’s no secret that many people spend most of the day behind a monitor screen, putting off work or study. Automatic shutdown of the laptop will help to break away from the exciting game at exactly the right time.
How to put a laptop on a timer using third-party programs
There are faster ways to put a timer on a laptop, for example, using Special Programs. Some of them:
- Wise Auto Shutdown. Free utility in Russian, which can be mastered even by a beginner. It is necessary to launch it, select the desired function (“Shutdown”, “Sleep” and others) and set the time. By default, a reminder will appear 5 minutes before shutdown, the end of the session can be postponed or canceled if necessary.
- Sleep timer. A simple program with an interesting interface in Russian, can be automatically launched when turned on. Often, additional software is installed along with it, which affects the operation of the laptop. It is worth saying that the utility closes all applications and DOES NOT save data, that is, you need to take care of this in advance.
- Power Off. A program in which you can find many functions besides the timer. There is no need to install it. it runs from the archive. There is a countdown and automatic shutdown after the system has been idle for a certain period of time, as well as blocking, sleep and much more. The only negative is that you cannot close the program, otherwise the TIMER will not work.
- Auto PowerOff. A clear interface and a minimum of actions. this is what sets the program apart from hundreds of others. You only need to set the time and date, as well as the system action in order for the laptop to automatically turn off.
A timer on a computer is considered one of the fundamental functions. There are several ways to turn off the laptop. this is using the command line, the task scheduler or an Unauthorized program. The last option is considered the simplest.
Set password on laptop via command term
Some users will prefer the alternative option, which also allows you to block access to the laptop and protect valuable information stored on its Hard disk. All you need to do is use the command line.
- The first step is to press the “Windows X” key combination. Next, select “Command line (administrator)” from the list. In Windows 10, you can simply click the magnifying glass icon in the lower left corner. Then enter cmd. Then the command line will open.
- We register “net user” and press enter. After that, a list of users will appear on the screen. This is necessary to see the correct spelling of the name / login.
- Now we enter the command “net user Name Password”. Naturally, “name” and “password” must be replaced. For example, net user user1 qwerty.
- If you do everything correctly, the system will inform you about it. The message “command completed successfully” appears.
Windows login password
The first option is Windows Password Access Protection. What is its advantage? It’s simplicity. The downside is low reliability. You can set passwords when entering the OS as follows:
- Let’s take a look at Windows 7 as an example. The first step is to go to the Control Panel (via Start). Further in the tab “User accounts”.
- In the window that opens, click on “Create a password for your account”.
- Now you need to fill in all the fields. They are called “new password” and “password confirmation”. When doing this, pay attention to whether you have Caps Lock enabled. Also, remember that the strongest password contains upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.
- Optionally, you can enter a hint at the very bottom line. By the same token, if you suddenly forget the password, the system will remind you of it. But, of course, not in full. So, if necessary, write down the password somewhere on a piece of paper.
For laptops with Windows 8, the algorithm is somewhat similar to what is relevant for devices with Windows 7. However, there are some differences. Therefore, to set a password on a laptop with “eight”, adhere to the following scheme:
- Move your mouse cursor over the top-right or bottom-right side of the desktop. Then move it up or down.
- A menu will open where you need to select the “Options” section (usually at the very bottom).
- In the window that opens, click on “Change computer settings” and go to the appropriate section.
- Select “Login Options” on the left or “Users” right away, depending on the OS version. Next, you need to find a key that will be called like “Create password”, “Change password”, etc.
- A window will appear on the monitor. Enter the password in it, repeat it and, if necessary, set a hint.
- Click “next” or “done”. Here you are “password protected” laptop.
How to put a password on a laptop
Many users store valuable and important information on laptops. These are various documents, scans, passwords, as well as access to social networks, personal correspondence, photographs, and more. Dr. Naturally, it is highly undesirable for such data to fall into the wrong hands. For this, you need to put a password on the laptop. This can be done in different ways. Let’s take a closer look at each of them.
Windows 10 laptop password
There are several protection options for devices with top ten. On such a laptop, you can set both a symbolic and a graphic password. You can also restrict access to your Windows 10 laptop using the PIN and Windows Hello features.
To activate any of the methods, you need to go to the “Settings” section, then to the “Login Options”. Here on the left you can choose the type of password protection that you like. All you have to do is click “Add”.
It should be remembered that the pin code and picture password are available only for a Microsoft account (under the local administrator, these functions are inactive).
By the way, there are frequent situations when the user’s password for entering Windows 10 is set, but for some reason the system does not ask for it when turning on the laptop. This is usually due to the corresponding input requirement setting disabled. To activate it, you need to press the WinR key combination, and in the window that opens, type control userpasswords2. Then they will call OK.
Laptop BIOS password
There is also BIOS Password Protection. It is more resistant to hacking. At the same time, it Not only restricts access to the same account, but also prevents unauthorized changes to settings in the BIOS. In addition, to disable BIOS password protection, the “Cracker” will need to remove the battery from the motherboard. And all this procedure requires a lot of time and effort. So the user can NOT worry that someone will use the device in his absence.
So, to put a password on a laptop through the BIOS, you need:
- Go to the corresponding menu. Each manufacturer (acer, asus, samsung, HP, lenovo, etc.) gives preference to certain keys. The most popular options are F1, F2, F10, F12, Del, Esc. All that is required is when you turn on and boot the OS, press the desired button. By the same, you will be taken to the BIOS menu.
- Find a section where you can set a password. It can be called in different ways. For example, “Security”, “User Password” (for a regular user) or “Supervisor” (for an administrator).
- Set a new password. To do this, select the Corresponding section and press Enter. Then we write the code.
- Save password and exit BIOS menu. To do this, go to the Exit item and select “Save and Exit Setup”. Or first press F10, select “YES” and then Enter.
Now you need to enter the password every time you turn on the laptop. Otherwise, Windows loading and access to any information stored on the computer will be denied.
However, what if you forgot your password? As we said above, you can disconnect the battery for powering the special flash memory, which stores the BIOS microcode with all settings. To do this, you have to disassemble the laptop a little. There is another option. a forgotten password can be reset programmatically. How? Using Special Pass Phrases (the so-called standard BIOS password). However, each manufacturer (ASUS, Acer, Samsung, Dell, etc.) is unique.
It happens that in a particular laptop model there are a dozen options for individual codes for resetting the settings and the BIOS password. Therefore, it is not so easy to pick them up. First you need to find out the BIOS version, and then find on the Internet a list of standard passwords, which you then have to enter one by one.
The laptop must be in sleep mode for the alarm to go off. Hibernation or complete shutdown will result in no signal at the set time. You can put your laptop to sleep yourself by selecting the Appropriate item in the Shutdown menu. But there is also a more convenient option:
- Open the section “Power supply” in the control console.
- Go to the subsection “Actions when closing the lid”.
- Go to change the parameters that are not currently available.
- Set the transition to sleep when the lid is closed.
Now you can safely close the laptop lid and did not worry that the alarm clock does not sound at the time set in the scheduler.
Ways to enable and configure an alarm on a laptop
If you need to get up early and have nothing at hand except a laptop, you can set an alarm on your laptop. There are several ways to set a signal to wake up at a specific time, using built-in Windows tools and third-party software.
Third party software
The disadvantage of using the scheduler is that you can’t just take and set up the signal for 5 days, you gave yourself two legitimate days off to sleep. But there is a way out: you can set an alarm clock on a laptop in the form of the Free Alarm Clock program. This free application works on all versions of Windows, from XP to 10.
Immediately after launching Free Alarm Clock, you will see the Default Alarm Clock. Such concern pleases, but you still need to adjust the time and frequency of awakening yourself.
- Right-click on the set alarm, select “Delete” so that He does not call at the wrong time.
- Click “Add” on the top bar. Set wake-up conditions with Free Alarm Clock.
There is nothing complicated in setting the conditions, but some explanations the available options still require:
- Set the alarm time.
- Select the days you should be woken up at the specified time.
- Write a message that will appear on the screen when you call (optional).
- Indicate whether there is a need to display the written message.
- Click on the “Browse” button and specify the path to the music file, the playback of which will wake you up.
- Use the slider to set the appropriate volume level.
- Turn on repeat sound.
- Set the computer to automatically wake up and turn on the monitor.
- Save the configuration by clicking “OK”.
The fact that the program is running will be indicated by a glowing icon in the system tray. The main thing is not to forget that the laptop should be put into sleep mode, and not turned off or sent to hibernation. The program will NOT run when the laptop is off, so you can oversleep.
In addition to Free Alarm Clock, there are other applications with similar functionality. Wakemeup, Alarm Master Plus. But these programs are distributed under a paid license, so Free Alarm Clock is more popular, although it cannot boast as many additional options as paid applications.
Setting the alarm
As such, there is an alarm clock among Windows tools. But there is a task scheduler, which can be used to perform various operations at a set time. With its help, it will be possible to configure the automatic start of the media player with the selected melody. than NOT an alarm clock?
- Open the “Administration” section of the management console.
- Run the Task Scheduler tool.
- Choose to create a simple task.
- In the first window of the wizard for creating a simple task, enter the name of the task. let it be “Alarm”. Click Next.
- Set a trigger, that is, specify how often the task should be run. For the alarm you need to set “Daily”.
- In the “Daily” subsection, specify when to start waking you up in the morning and set the time to call. Click Next.
- Select the action “Run the program”.
- Click on the “Browse” button and specify the path to the music file, the playback of which will wake you up in the morning. No need to add arguments and working folder.
To set additional parameters for the alarm, check the box “Open Properties” in the last window “Finish” and click “Finish”.
Go to the Triggers tab and click Edit. In the “Additional parameters” field, you can, for example, set the task to repeat every 5 minutes.
The snooze can be set for 15 or 30 minutes, an hour, a day, or indefinitely, until you wake up and change the settings.
Then return to the window with additional parameters and go to the “Conditions” tab.
Check the box “wake up the computer to complete the task” and uncheck the box “Run only when powered from the mains”. Save the configuration by clicking “OK”.
If your laptop has AIMP media player installed, you can use it as a full-fledged alarm clock.
- Launch AIMP. Click on the timer icon in the right corner.
- Go to the “Alarm” tab.
- Check the box next to the “Alarm” item to activate the settings window.
- Mark when to play the signal. at a specified time or after a specified time.
- Select a track from your computer or from the AIMP playlist.
- Set the ringtone volume and indicate how long it will gradually increase.
- Click “Apply” to save the configuration.
In the AIMP scheduler, which opens when you click on the timer icon, there are many more useful options: shutdown the computer, pause playback, exit the program at a specified or after a specified time. This functionality is mostly redundant, but it can also come in handy in non-standard situations.