The monitor screen goes off quickly. What to do
Received a letter with a question that the monitor screen goes off quickly. Verbatim:
Of course, there are serious problems with monitors, and finding solutions to such problems can be quite serious business. So in some cases, even calling a specialist cannot be dispensed with.
But, also in many cases, the monitor screen quickly goes out simply due to the installed power settings.
Therefore, first of all, novice users just need to pay attention to these settings, which is what we will do in this article.
Let’s talk about Windows 7 first, and then about Windows XP, so choose where you need to deal with the monitor screen.
Power settings in Windows 7
So, you have the operating system Windows 7 and the monitor screen quickly goes blank, whether it is a laptop or a stationary computer.?!
We go to the Power supply section. To do this, simply right-click on the power icon on the Taskbar (as shown in the screenshot below) and select Power supply in the context menu that appears:
If you do not see the power icon on the taskbar, in this case, click on the small triangle icon (in the picture to the left of the power icon) with the left mouse button and find the power icon.
You can enter the power supply in another way.
Start menu. Control Panel:
Next, select System and Security:
So, whether we entered the Power supply section through the Taskbar or through the Start menu, now in the selected power plan we click on the link with its settings:
And already here we can configure the way we need:
How long does it take to dim the display (monitor) or turn it off so that it goes out completely, as well as when to put the computer into sleep mode and adjust the screen brightness.
over, for a laptop, this can also be configured separately: From battery or From mains.
And, of course, after changing the settings, you need to save them for them to take effect:
So, if your monitor (laptop) screen goes blank quickly enough, try here to increase the time in the appropriate parameters (when to dim and turn off the display).
Since we have “climbed” into these settings, then, perhaps, it will be interesting for someone to delve into the additional settings:
But, this does not apply to the topic raised, so I will leave it for independent development, especially since everything is quite intuitive there.
Power settings in Windows XP
You have Windows XP operating system on your computer or laptop and you notice that the monitor screen goes blank quickly?!
We go to the Start menu. Control Panel:
Further, at the very end of the large list, we find Power Supply. We go there:
First, we choose a suitable power management scheme (as shown in the picture below), since perhaps some of the proposed schemes may suit us in terms of parameters (or at least approximately it may fit).
And we configure the parameters as we need. In particular, if, for example, we believe that our laptop’s screen goes blank quickly, then in the Display off column we increase the time (after how long to turn off the display):
Do not forget to click on the Apply button and then on OK for the changes to take effect.
So, if we think that on our computer (laptop) the monitor screen goes out quickly enough, then first of all we go to the Power supply to adjust it there. And here it was shown how to do it in Windows 7 and Windows XP.
If you are faced with a situation where not only the monitor screen turns off, but the laptop screen turns off completely, you can go to the article: The laptop screen turns off. What to do.
Why does a black screen appear on TV and sound works
Try to find out if your TV has a mute function. This is true for newer LCD / LED TVs such as:
- Philips (Philips);
- Toshiba (Toshiba);
- Sony (Sony);
- LG (LG);
- Samsung (Samsung).
Certain TVs have the ability to turn off the picture: this function allows you to listen to the sound of the TV or DVD player when the picture is turned off on the screen Make sure not to enable this function.
But if we exclude all factors from the outside, then only the problem remains at the hardware level. Let’s take a look at what’s the matter.
A common cause of malfunction of new TVs, due to which the image disappears when there is sound, is the failure of lamps or screen backlight LEDs.
The easiest way to determine whether the problem is in the backlight or not is: take any light source (lamp, hand-held flashlight, or even a flashlight on your phone) and, with the TV turned on, bring the light source to the screen.
If you see that the image is there, but it is very difficult to see, then your lamps or LED strip are out of order. Of course, there is a possibility that the color module, power supply, frame and line scan unit, tuner or matrix are out of order.
If you are not an expert in this matter, it is quite difficult to replace or repair the listed parts, therefore, this work should be carried out only by a TV repair specialist.
Proper handling of the TV is the key to its long-term service.!
Often equipment breaks down due to improper operation.
Unscrupulous attitude to the appearance of minor malfunctions, mechanical stress, penetration of moisture into the body. all this leads to wear of the components, as a result of which malfunctions appear.
One of the most vulnerable spots in modern TVs is the inverter. This part often fails. An inverter is an expensive part, so a specialist will most often recommend repairing it rather than changing it. This problem, for which the picture is missing, is typical for TVs of LG and Samsung models.
Why is there a black screen on the TV, but the sound remains?
You are faced with such a problem on TV: the TV screen is black, but there is sound. Naturally, due to this malfunction, viewing the programs is not possible. In this article, we’ll show you what to do about this problem. What caused the picture to disappear? Let’s look at the internal and external causes of the problem.
- To understand what went wrong, the first thing: we look at the equipment. If the equipment is completely new, this malfunction may appear due to the manufacturer’s defect.
- If the device has served you for several years, there is a possibility that the batteries or backlights are out of order.
It follows from practice that the technique itself most often has absolutely nothing to do with it: this malfunction is not always the result of equipment failure. Uninterrupted image reproduction depends not only on internal elements (boards, circuits, blocks), but also on external ones (antenna cable, distribution box, etc.)
Don’t be discouraged if you just see a black screen when you turn on the TV.
There is a possibility that the solution to the problem is very close:
- Antenna cable (cord);
- Distribution box;
- An external antenna located on the roof is the most vulnerable element in this problem.
Inspect these items, especially the plug. Basically, it is connected from the back to a special connector (socket).
First you need to pull it out of the connector and insert it back. There is a possibility that due to poor contact, the signal coming through the plug is weak. This could be one of the sources of image fading.
Next, you need to connect a second TV (of course, a working one) to the antenna wire in order to check the signal quality.
If, after connecting, a poor-quality signal began to arrive or there is simply no image, then most likely the problem is either in the external antenna or in the antenna cable.
If there is a problem with the external antenna, then it remains only to call the organization responsible for its maintenance.
What is the reason for the disappearance of the image on the TV screen connected via HDMI?
Let’s just superficially touch on the connection via HDMI of a computer to a TV. In rare cases, with this connection, the image may disappear quite often. The first thing to do is test the HDMI cable itself. Also check if hibernation is running on your computer.
The sound can also be played, but the picture will never be. Basically, everyone can cope with the HDMI cable connection, and this is not a serious problem if you have a whole and working HDMI cable. But this issue also has its own pitfalls that the user may encounter.
So what to do. If you do not have an image when connecting, check the cable for kinks, bends, breaks, if there is such damage, you need to replace the HDMI cable.
You also need to check the settings and make sure that the computer has not entered sleep mode. Another option is connector failure. In this case, you need to refer the technician for repair to specialists.
These are the main reasons due to which, when the TV is connected via HDMI, the image is not displayed.
Do not forget to say “Thank you”, “Like” or repost to the author:
Restarting the explorer.exe service
Another option that users face when trying to understand why the black screen and the cursor hang constantly is associated with the Explorer service (not to be confused with “Explorer”).
Alternatively, if the system still comes to its senses, you can use restarting the process (if the screen hangs, you will have to act blindly). Here you need to call the “Task Manager”, end the explorer.exe process through the RMB menu, and then start again. There is also a quick restart command in the menu, but, I think, it is not effective enough, so it’s still better to first complete the process completely, and only then restart it.
Another method can be used. For normal loading, at startup, the spacebar is pressed several times, and then the Tab key five times.
There are several methods to remove the black screen and cursor when starting Windows 10. However, the simplest solution may be to forcefully turn off the computer or laptop and then reboot (the method, of course, is quite barbaric). But after that, either the hard drive can be checked for damage to system files and bad sectors, or the system recovery tool will start working.
In the second case, all operations will be performed automatically without user intervention. It is very likely that after half an hour of waiting, depending on the hardware configuration, everything will be back to normal. If such a solution does not work, you can use either an installation disc or a recovery disc (or a USB flash drive), but you need to take care of creating such a media in advance.
Problem: black screen at system startup. Updating graphics card drivers
Updating video card drivers is a fairly effective method. It often helps in situations where the system has two cards. discrete and integrated. Most of the crashes concern discrete cards.
In this case, you can switch to the integrated accelerator. At the same time, you will have to reinstall or update the drivers of the main adapter (it is advisable to completely remove them first). This is done in the “Task Manager” by calling the appropriate commands in the RMB menu.
Black screen and cursor when starting Windows 10: what is the reason?
In general, for all operating systems of the Windows family, such a problem, as a rule, is a consequence of the incorrect operation of the video adapter, despite the fact that when the computer is turned on, the BIOS signals that everything is in order with the system and all devices are working normally (this is determined by a long signal from the system speaker ).
But not everything is so simple. The operating system itself is such that the graphics accelerator is not always directly related to the problem of a black screen appearing at startup. Not everyone knows what to do. Meanwhile, it is worth paying attention to some of the components of the OS itself. First of all, this is incorrect operation or malfunctions of the explorer.exe service, disabled fast startup, activated re-licensing, outdated, incorrectly installed or missing video card drivers.
Reverting to the old system
If the tenth version was installed over an existing one in the form of an update (for example, Windows 7), you can use the tool to return to the old OS (only if the 30-day period has not expired from the moment of installation).
To do this, go to the settings section and select the update and security section there, and then use the appropriate line.
By the way, even after that, a black screen and a cursor may appear when Windows 7 starts (meaning the situation after returning to the old OS). And here you need to look for the reason already in the graphics accelerator drivers.
Black screen and cursor on Windows startup: what to do?
Despite all the attractiveness of the tenth version of the Windows operating system, after installing it or installing updates, you can often come across moments when, instead of the expected system boot, a black screen and a cursor appear, which sometimes may be absent. What is the reason for this phenomenon and how to deal with it,
A black screen and cursor may also be the result of a reactivation service enabled. Accordingly, the solution is to disable it.
Using “Explorer” or any other file manager, you need to enable the display of hidden objects and find the Windows Activation Technologies directory. On 64-bit systems, it is located directly in the Windows directory, on systems with 32-bit architecture, you should look for it in the System32 folder. Next, you need to delete both the folder and all of its contents (if it turns out to be impossible to delete the entire directory at once, the elements inside it will have to be deleted manually one by one). After that, you need to perform a complete reboot of the system. Perhaps after that, the black screen and the user’s cursor will no longer be disturbed.
Similar actions can be performed in the services section (stop and disable the start of the process), but it will take longer.
Safe mode and command line
Black screen and cursor when starting Windows 7 or 10 can be removed by another universal method that many computer users are not aware of. You need to use the command console (no matter if the system is loaded or when starting from removable media).
In the installed system, loaded in Safe Mode, the command line must be launched as an administrator; when booting from a disk or flash drive, no selection is required. The line bcdedit / set advancedoptions true is written in the console, after which, upon restart, you can select tools for working with the system.
The command line in the operating system is called through the Run menu with the combination of cmd, in the recovery console on removable media, Shift F10 is used.
In the console itself, you need to register sfc / scannow and wait until the integrity check of system files is completed. Perhaps this procedure will help. Indeed, well, do not overwrite the entire bootloader and boot area (although this is quite simple to do).
The reason for a black screen on a laptop can be a computer infection with hacker software. To diagnose and fix the problem, just run a virus scan. If the original matrix does not turn on at all, connect an external monitor.
Go to Safe Mode. To do this, press the F8 button before loading Windows. In the menu that opens, select Run in Safe Mode. After turning on your computer, open your antivirus application and run a scan. For testing in this mode, you can use software such as Dr.Web Cureit! or Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool.
Upon completion of the process, the antivirus program will automatically delete the malicious files or prompt the user to do so. After removing the viruses, you need to restart the device. In this case, it will no longer boot into a safe, but normal operation mode.
What to do if your laptop has a black screen
Before disassembling and diagnosing the electronics, you must perform the following simple steps to check the functionality of the main elements:
- Check cable and power plug. Perhaps the wire is broken or frayed, due to which the device does not receive power.
- Checking the health of the battery. Perhaps the battery has “gone” into an excessively deep discharge or has exhausted its resource. To do this, it is usually enough to connect the laptop to the network and check if the power and charging indicators light up.
- If the indicators are off, you should try to remove the battery. Oxides or impurities may be present on the contact pads, which may prevent the instrument from receiving power. Usually these defects are gray or greenish in color. You can clean your contacts with a simple eraser.
Note! Some laptops require complete or partial disassembly to remove the battery. To avoid difficulties, the manufacturer’s instructions must be followed. The battery can be connected not only by means of snap-on contacts, but also by soldering wires or a loop.
If the battery is defective, it must be replaced. Each battery has a marking by which you need to look for a spare part.
Reasons for a black screen on a laptop
Most often, the malfunction is hardware, which means the failure of one or more components. But, the problem of a black screen on a laptop can also be caused by a software glitch, although this happens less often. The main causes of the problem include:
- Mechanical damage. May be caused by drops or moisture getting inside the unit. As a rule, the reason is associated with a violation of operating conditions.
- Damage to the loop through which the matrix is connected to the motherboard.
- Lost contact in RAM connection slots.
Software problems are usually straightforward to fix. This requires software configuration, which may involve removing viruses, installing the correct driver versions, or completely reinstalling the operating system.
If the RAM strips do not fit tightly to the connection pins, there may also be no image on the laptop screen. The reason for this phenomenon can be shock, water ingress, temperature jumps, etc. Diagnostics and elimination of breakdowns is performed in this way:
- Complete disconnection of the device from the mains, including removing the battery. After disconnecting, press the power button to clear any residual charge.
- Complete or partial disassembly of the laptop. Sometimes, to gain access to the RAM, it is enough to remove the small cover on the back of the device. But, in many models, this requires almost complete disassembly. Remember the screw positions when disassembling as they may differ in length, thickness and thread type.
- Disable RAM. To do this, there are special latches on the sides of the connectors, which you just need to slightly spread apart.
- Clean the pads on the RAM rulers with an eraser.
- Clean the connector itself with alcohol.
- Put the straps back and fix them securely in the slot. Contacts should fit snugly and evenly.
- Tighten all the screws and try to turn on the laptop.
Black screen on laptop
A black screen on a laptop is a serious and often difficult to fix problem. Failure can be of both hardware and software nature. Usually it manifests itself as follows: the user turns on the device, but there is no image on the screen, and the restart does not give a result.
If all indicators confirm that the hardware is working properly, you should try to reset the settings as follows:
- Disconnect the computer from the electrical outlet, disconnect the battery and hold down the power button for 15-20 seconds.
- Install the battery back and connect the power cable.
- Start the laptop and select the standard boot mode in the menu (if the screen lights up).
If after such a reset the display does not light up, it is possible that the malfunction lies directly in the matrix.
Checking BIOS settings
Incorrect BIOS configuration can be causing a black screen on a laptop. To enter the settings, you need to press the Del, F2, F12 or another key immediately after switching on. You need to have time to do this before loading the OS. The key you press may differ depending on the model of your device.
Advice! If a picture is displayed on an external monitor, you should immediately connect it so that you can visually adjust the BIOS settings.
After entering the BIOS, you must press the F9 button. In this case, the initial settings will be set. This will actually reset the configuration parameters. After that, you need to go to the Exit tab, where select Load Optimized Defaults, and then Save and Exit. If there is no picture, after F9 press F10 and Enter to save the settings. After completing the steps, the laptop will automatically reboot.
Screen health check
Check if the rest of the components work. Listen to the device, you should hear a fan noise. The sounds of the hard drive should also be heard (slight noise, possibly slight clicks and crackles).
Perhaps the malfunction lies in the loop through which the matrix is connected to the video card. The latter in laptops is usually soldered on the motherboard itself. For testing, you can connect your laptop to a traditional monitor or even a TV (subject to the availability of suitable inputs). Usually for this, the device has VGA, DVI or HDMI connectors. Connect the laptop with a suitable cable to an external display device and try to start it up. If a picture appears, the matrix does not work, the loop is damaged or the backlight is broken.
Important! In the event of a malfunction of the matrix or loop, it is better to contact a repair shop. Attempting to replace yourself without skills and special tools may cause more serious malfunctions.
Black screen on laptop. what to do?
- Battery recovery
- Power supply repair
- Cleaning from dust and dirt
- Laptop is noisy
- Battery does not charge
- Laptop screen replacement
- Black screen on laptop
- Laptop power problems
- Why does the laptop restart itself
- Laptop won’t turn on
- HDMI port not working on laptop?
- Laptop keyboard not working
- Laptop turns off frequently?
- The laptop heats up and shuts down
- The laptop does not see the Wi-Fi network?
- Laptop imaging problems
Laptop won’t turn on or do you see a “black screen”? First, there is no need to worry and rush to see a specialist. Most often, you can fix the cause yourself. Homemade recipes will not work, then contact the service center. Replacement of the matrix and other complex components is done only there. Yes, and minor repairs, soldering parts, if you are not a radio amateur or a computer technician, be sure to go to the workshop. We have everything you need to eliminate the “black screen” and other laptop breakdowns.
Typical causes of malfunction
- Power failure, battery, charging, or mains problem. For example, if the battery is critically low, the laptop may turn off.
- Failure of the display, loop, backlight lamps
- Overheating, abrupt shutdown of laptops by protection, failure of the south or north bridges. Cooler problems, clogged ventilation
- Windows errors
- Incorrect system and BIOS settings
- Excessive amount of software, games, “heavy” programs, especially those infected with viruses. This causes errors in the OS.
- RAM or cpu problem
- Lost contact in the slots of the device modules. It turns out due to shaking, mechanical damage, dust inside the computer case
- Liquid spills, falls, shocks and carelessness.
- Individual malfunctions. Depends on design features, manufacturers and models (see PC manual).
What to do. the laptop turns on, but the screen is black?
- Have you recently switched your laptop to an external monitor with the original one turned off? Check if “dimming” is turned off by a couple of buttons.
- “Clogging” of the hard drive with unnecessary and non-working files, lack of cleaning and optimization. Clean up your hard drive and registry. After removing the trash and rebooting, an image will appear and the device’s performance will improve.
- All indicators are on, judging by the sounds, ventilation is working, and loading is in progress. Only the display does not show signs of life. faulty video card or matrix. No picture when connecting an external monitor? Exactly. a breakdown of the video card. Few users can handle replacing it, call the workshop.
- Problems in the monitor cable and its connectors. Check the connections and the loop itself, reconnect.
- Could jam the shutdown button on the screen. Happens from damage or liquid ingress. Older laptops have it on the front panel. It is more difficult with newer ones, here the button is in the swivel mechanism. Laptops are disassembled to repair it.
- The backlight lamp is faulty or its inverter (transformer) burned out. In this case, there are first image distortions, along the edges of the monitor or completely. The display in such cases may be white or gray. The backlight is working, but the screen is black. a malfunction in the matrix or its connection. Unsuitable lamps are changed in workshops. It’s the same with a transformer, yes, sometimes it needs to be restored. They inject transformer oil, etc., with a syringe, constantly disassembling the PC. Easier and more profitable replacement.
How to deal with problems yourself?
It is quite possible to restore the PC on your own. If the work concerns hardware settings or a simple change of modules (when they are not soldered). For a rough diagnosis, use the above list of the causes of the malfunction. Consider safe and effective ways to troubleshoot problems:
Connect your laptop to the network, it’s probably just dead. See battery status. No effect? We examine the connection along the circuit: outlet, charger, computer. Disconnect and wiggle the plugs.
Use a different monitor, does an image appear? Then you can try to fix the problem with the screen. Review the system settings, it is better to return them to the basic ones. As a last resort (if you have the skills), try to disconnect the matrix cable, check and clean the contacts. The loop is damaged. to mount a new one, it is useless to repair. If all else fails, the matrix is most likely faulty. Then you cannot avoid the help of a specialist.
PC worked long and hard? Overheating possible, let it cool well. The ventilation openings must not be obstructed. Did you hear the noise of the cooler, hot air? If the ventilation is out of order, the computer turns off automatically. Parts can suffer from severe overheating, the south bridge often burns out. Replace Thermal Grease and Purchase a Cooling Pad.
Rollback or reinstallation of the OS helps (only the display does not work). In this case, errors and settings are reset. For a start, you can limit yourself to returning to a restore point (when everything was fine). Does not work. reset completely (if there is an OBC on a flash drive or disk).
- Disconnecting your computer from an electrical outlet.
- Remove the battery.
- Press the power button for 30-60 seconds (charge reset)
Resetting BIOS to Factory Defaults.
- Power on, press the Del and F2. F12 keys
- In the menu, click on Load BIOS Setup Defaolts or Load Safe-Fail Defaolts.
- Reboot, done.
BIOS reinstallation helps. The order is as follows:
- Download the installation file from the manufacturer’s website
- You need to enter model and OS data in the support section so that there is no error
- Before installation, make sure the battery is charged and the power supply is connected. Power cut during BIOS setup kills laptops. We are waiting for the end of the process.
How To Fix Dark Screen Laptop / No Backlight
Inspect installed software and games. Probably, the reason for the problems is precisely in them, remove unnecessary and problematic programs and games. It is more convenient to do this with simple utilities like Glari Utilities and CCleaner.
Removing the RAM module with cleaning the connectors helps to light the screen.
- Disconnect power, remove battery
- Next, unscrew the separate RAM cover or remove the laptop cover
- We slowly bend the fasteners, take out the modules. Use a thin, non-pointed object if no tool is available
- We clean slots
- There may be additional contacts, then it is better to insert the module strip into them at an angle of 45 °
- Further in reverse order
Clogging of connectors and ventilation occurs due to dust. The structure must be cleaned regularly, once every 1-2 years. In some modifications, the RAM may be soldered, then replacement only by the master.
Liquid spilled. Thorough drying is necessary, if there is a lot of moisture, remove the lid. Only after that, perform the above manipulations. Helps cleaning connectors, reinstalling the RAM bar.
The laptop suffered serious mechanical damage (impacts, falls from a height), is the case cracked? Better to contact the service center, there may be damage to the motherboard.
For any action, you must carefully read the user manual.
Devices of different types, models, firms have design and control features. The manual may contain descriptions of rare problems inherent only to this computer. If the problem is serious, you cannot fix the breakdown. stop there. Inappropriate intervention in equipment is more expensive than ordinary repairs in service centers.
Force Explorer to start
- The first thing to do is press Ctrl Alt Del, this should bring up the Task Manager. If it happens, great!
- Click File. Run New Task.
- Type explorer.exe and hit Enter.
Switching to Safe Mode
If removing external devices does not resolve the issue, go to Safe Mode.
- Reboot your computer.
- On the lock screen, tap on the power icon towards the bottom left of the screen.
- Hold SHIFT and click on Restart.
- After reboot, you will get additional boot options. select Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
Perhaps instead of rebooting, you will be presented with a screen with 3 options to continue:
- Continue booting Windows 10;
- Completion of work.
Then click on Troubleshooting, then on Advanced. Then click on Startup Options and then restart in Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
- Check if the display is set to a different device.
Press Windows P to launch the projection panel.
A Sidebar will appear on the right with a list of displays connected to the computer.
Select the option to output to the current computer monitor
Reinstall the monitor driver. Open Device Manager and uninstall the display drivers:
- Right-click on the Start button, then left-click on Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager window, find and expand Monitors.
- Right click on the monitor, select Uninstall.
- Reboot to reinstall the driver.
Disconnecting external devices
To solve the problem, disconnect all external devices and restart your computer. This primarily applies to devices such as a second monitor, projector or TV. If the computer or laptop displays the boot process, then one of the external devices was causing the problem. If the error disappears, then connect external devices one by one until you get a black screen again. After that, remove the last device you connected and make sure the monitor is working again.
Do not use the problem device until you get a response from the manufacturer about the current problem.
Black screen after logging into Windows computer (no screen connected)
The first scenario that will be discussed is a black screen that appears after logging in.
Black screen when booting Windows 10, 8, 7 on a computer or laptop. What to do?
Read how to fix the Windows 10 black screen problem. Possible causes and solutions. If you are experiencing a black screen problem in Windows 10, 8 or 7, then there are 2 different scenarios that will help you determine the cause of the error and fix the problem.
Windows 10 Black Screen With Cursor [Solved]
In the first case, you can log into your computer, but you do not receive any image on the screen after logging into the system. In the second case, you cannot even log into the computer. This article will tell you how to fix the black screen error after logging into Windows, booting the system. We will consider options both with and without the mouse cursor.
Black screen when turning on the computer (no login option)
If a black screen appears before the login window, you will not be able to boot into Safe Mode using the above method. To enter the system, you need a bootable DVD or USB flash drive with the Windows distribution. You can also create a Recovery Disc on another work Windows 10 computer.
- Connect the bootable media to your computer;
- Set the priority for booting from the desired media in the BIOS;
- Boot up your computer.
After downloading, you can try to boot in safe mode and carry out all the same actions that we considered in the previous paragraph. To select Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then Boot Options, and then restart in Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
If the problem persists, you can try resetting Windows to its original state and performing a clean installation of the system.
Safe Mode Failure Remediation Procedure
- Click “Start”;
- Then go to “Programs”;
- Then enter the “Standard”;
- After that, open the “Service” section;
- Click “System Restore”;
- Check the box “Recommended recovery”;
- Click “Next”;
- Select a restore point;
- Click “Next”;
- In the menu that appears, click “Finish”;
- Wait until the end of the process;
- After the procedure and restart, the laptop will no longer crash with a black background, and the system will start in normal mode.
If the problem is caused by malicious applications?
The operating system is often disrupted by viruses, which also cause a black display on a laptop, and it can even turn off spontaneously. Therefore, after restoring the OS, it is necessary to perform a complete analysis of the laptop’s memory with an antivirus program.
The main causes of failure
Mechanical stress as a result of careless operation of the device, the presence of liquid on the components and contact surfaces of parts, overheating of the PC due to poor cooling conditions, and much more leads to equipment failure.
Among the most common reasons a laptop won’t boot normally are the following:
- Incorrect hardware settings;
- RAM malfunctions;
- Battery malfunction;
- Display errors (the matrix or loop may be damaged);
- Problems caused by laptop overheating;
- Video accelerator problems.
If the consequences of the first three reasons can be eliminated at home, then to solve the rest, you will have to give the device for debugging in the hands of an experienced master.
Solving BIOS Settings Problems
Difficulties are often caused by incorrectly entered parameters in the BIOS. In order not to waste a lot of time searching and correcting incorrectly entered parameters, it is recommended to simply roll back the settings to the default state.
It will be convenient during this procedure to use an additional display connected to the laptop, although all actions can be carried out blindly, but with a lack of experience it will be very difficult to do this.
To do this, you need to perform just a few of the following steps:
- Open BIOS, for this purpose, at startup, press “Del”, “F2”, “F10” or another button intended for this. You can clarify it by reading the accompanying documentation for the device;
- The menu will be displayed, unfortunately, not in Russian. But here, even people who are completely unfamiliar with English should not worry. You just need to click on the “F9” button;
- Or in the top menu, which is separated by a strip, enter the “Exit” tab and highlight the inscription “Load Setup Defaults”;
In this case, the text of the line should turn white;
- Further, in the menu that opens, confirm your firmness in making a decision by clicking “Enter”;
- Then, sequentially click “F10” and “Y” to close the BIOS while saving the entered adjustments;
- After restarting the PC, the standard OS greeting should be displayed on its own screen.
If there is still only a black monitor in front of your eyes, you can proceed to the steps from the next chapter of this manual.
Installing the latest BIOS version
Having previously specified the name of the laptop with precision to the last letter, take the following sequential steps:
- Open the official resource on the world wide web of the device developer;
- Then go to the page with the software;
- In the search bar of the site, type the name of the laptop;
- Find and download the latest BIOS modification;
- Along with the distribution kit, the software installation manual will also be downloaded, after careful study, which the user can install the latest BIOS on his laptop.
First, you need to think and remember what the user was doing with the PC before the crash occurred. It is not uncommon for the boot problem to be affected by some last installed application or game causing errors in Windows.
Then it won’t be difficult to fix the problem by booting in safe mode and rolling back the OS to the resume point. Below is a description of the recovery method in more detail.
Also, be sure to pay attention to commonplace things, such as whether there is a power supply to the laptop. Often the device cannot start due to a completely dead battery.
In the case when the PC starts up normally after applying power through the AC adapter, it means that a simple battery replacement is required.
It should be noted that if in early models, for example, Asus and Acer Aspire, access to the battery was very simple and easy even for novice users, then some modern models require disassembling the case to get to the battery.
You also need to pay attention to the condition of the power cord. It should be free from defects, cuts, kinks and squeezes.
If after installing the adapter into an outlet on the laptop case the indicator starts to light up, then this reason must also be excluded and go to the next step.
If it does not light up, then, firstly, you need to make sure that the outlet itself is working and power is supplied to it and, secondly, analyze the condition of the laptop adapter wires.
What should I do if all indicators are lit normally and the device cannot start? Further, it is necessary to exclude the influence of incorrect parameters of the hardware settings. This is also easy to do on your own by simply resetting them.
For this purpose, it is necessary to perform the following actions:
- Disconnect the device from the mains;
- Take out the battery;
- Press and do not release the “Start” button (at least 15 seconds);
- This action will completely use up the small accumulated charge in the laptop;
- Install the battery in its original place (it is recommended to pre-clean the contacts and wipe them with a concentrated solution of ethyl alcohol);
- Connect to the power supply;
- Turn on the laptop;
- In the displayed menu, specify the normal Windows boot mode;
- Click “Enter”;
If the device still refuses to turn on, then proceed with the implementation of the recommendations from the next paragraph of this manual.
What to do if the display shows a black screen when you turn on your laptop
The more complex the equipment, the more likely it is to malfunction. This type of device includes laptops.
than half of laptop owners face unexpected problems in terms of the loss of functionality of this complex device, for example, displaying a black screen the next time the mobile computer is booted.
Failures occur for a variety of reasons, which are often caused not only by a factory defect, but also by careless handling of a laptop.
Of course, the easiest way to solve the problem is through specialized service centers, but often the causes of problems lie on the very surface and are completely removable on their own.
If the display has a black background with a cursor?
This situation is often encountered by laptop users on Windows. The only thing that is displayed on the screen is just an arrow that is properly listened to by the mouse, that is, the owner of the PC can move the cursor over the black field and this is where all the current functions of a modern laptop end.
Fortunately, such a symptom often indicates the health of the hardware component of the machine and you will only have to slightly tweak the software component.
The bootloader cannot cope with its functions due to a system failure in one of the many files.
Sometimes even experts cannot find the problematic file quickly, so an ordinary user is immediately advised to resort to the possibility of safely turning on the laptop to restore Windows to fix the failure.