Why WI-FI does not work on a laptop, and how to fix it?!
An interesting incident happened the other day, which prompted me to write this article. I got into my hands a completely new, just bought laptop Hewlett Packard HP 15-AC052UR with the already preinstalled “Eight”. The owner is a modern man and really wanted to try the new Windows 10 operating system, so he asked me to update. No sooner said than done. The update procedure went off without a hitch, but then the troubles began.
The first thing that caught my eye after logging in was that the laptop does not see the WI-FI network. There was a red cross on the adapter icon in the list of connections. There was no reaction to any attempts to somehow turn on the adapter. Well, we’ll fix it.
Looking ahead, I will say that I solved the problem and it was very specific. But I want to make a small guide on the example of this case on the topic of what to do if Wi-Fi does not work on a laptop.
Is the WI-FI adapter turned on?
As practice shows, the reason for more than half of the problems with the wireless network on laptops, netbooks and ultrabooks is that the network card is turned off. How can I check this? Let’s start with the Wi-Fi button, which is found on almost every laptop. It can be in the form of a separate button or a slider, like this:
Or combined with one of the F1-F12 keys:
In the latter case, to enable, press this button in tandem with the Fn function key.
If the adapter turns on successfully, the indicator on the case should light up. It can be made separately and marked with an antenna-shaped icon, or located on the power button:
If the laptop does not respond to pressing this button, then most likely you do not have a driver for the function keys installed. To download it, go to the manufacturer’s official website, open the “Support” or “Downloads” section and enter the laptop model into the search bar.
In the results found, we are looking for software for function keys, download, install.
Note: If you have a modern laptop, then it may have the following button “On the plane”:
It was made by analogy with smartphones and tablets to disable the radio module. When it is turned on in the system tray, an airplane icon appears instead of the network icon:
It must be turned off, otherwise the laptop will not see the wireless network and by itself will not be able to connect to it.
OK, the hardware network card was turned on, but the Wi-Fi is not working! Have you turned it on programmatically? Let’s check.
We look at the tray icon. If it has an asterisk:
Then skip step 1 and step 2 and go straight to step 3. When there is a red cross on it:
This means that the network is off. To enable Windows 10, there is a separate switch located in the “Settings”. “Network and Internet” section:
By the way, it did not move for me, or rather, when I tried to move it to the “On” position, from itself it returned to the “Off” position. and I clicked on the link “Configuring adapter parameters”.
In Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 this is not, and therefore you have to go to Windows connections. Press the WinR key combination, enter the ncpa.cpl command:
Find the “Wireless network” icon in the list of connections. It’s gray? Then click on it with the right mouse button and select the “Enable” item.
If the WI-FI adapter icon is not there at all. most likely the driver is not installed.
Everything was much sadder for me. the Wi-Fi adapter was active, but there was a red cross on it.
Wi-Fi is available, Internet is not.
A very common problem for novice users. It is usually caused by incorrect Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP / IPv4) settings. You can check this as follows. In Windows network connections, right-click on “Wireless network” and select the “Status” menu item:
In the “Connection Status” window, click the “Details” button. Another window will open, in which we first look at the line “Default gateway”. there should be the IP address of the router. It is also usually indicated as the primary DNS server.
Now look above, in the line “IPv4 address”. The IP from the subnet of the router must be registered there (you can see an example in the screenshot). But if there is nothing at all in these lines, or an IP is registered from the 169.254.X.X subnet, then this means it was not automatically assigned from the router and is not manually registered.
Click on the “Properties” button and open the item “IP version 4 (TCP / IPv4)”:
Here you need to write the address of the router in the fields “Default gateway” and “Preferred DNS server”. You can see it on the sticker on the bottom of the device (unless, of course, you have changed it). The mask is usually 255.255.255.0, and in the “IP-address” field we indicate any address from the subnet of the router. Click on OK and reconnect.
If after that a message appears that “a network without Internet access”, then in this case we go here.
P.S. As a conclusion, I will consider another reason why WI-FI does not work on a laptop. It is the saddest. a hardware malfunction of the network card. This is rare, but it does happen. over, very often this is due to poor contact between the adapter and the antenna soldered to it. In this case, only going to the service will help.
Does the laptop see the WI-FI network?
The hardware has been checked. let’s start with the software. Very often users complain that the laptop does not see the WI-FI network. The reason for this malfunction may be in the laptop and in the router that distributes Wi-Fi. The third option is not given. How to identify the culprit? Very simple, left-click on the network icon in the tray and see what is in the drop-down menu.
If the laptop sees other people’s networks, but does not see its own, you need to check the router.
If you don’t see any network at all, go back to Steps 1 and 2, since the problem is most likely hardware.
For the purity of the experiment, you can use any mobile gadget. a tablet or a smartphone and see if it connects normally. It will be immediately clear where to “Dig”.
As a special case, you can consider the option when the computer cannot connect to the wireless network due to an authorization error. If you have connected to it before, then in this case it is worth trying to delete it in the list of known ones and reconnect:
In Windows 10, this is done in the “Manage Settings”, in Windows 8, right-click on your network in the list of networks and select the “Forget” menu item. If you are connecting to this WI-FI network for the first time, enter a 100% correct password and still discard by an authorization error, then the problem is in the router and you must first try to make a purely digital key. If this does not help, try reflashing it. In 90% of cases, this allows you to successfully solve the problem.
Now we will look at several ways to eliminate them. I recommend using them in the order in which I will describe them.
Disable auto tuning (tuning) TCP_IP
The developers have implemented this function in Windows 10 to improve the efficiency of the network channels operation by dynamically changing the memory in the buffer. But in practice, this has caused a lot of problems (especially on laptops). Let’s try to disable the mode using the command line. Do not forget that you need to run the CMD utility with admin rights.
We enter the following commands into the console one by one: netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel = disabled
netsh int tcp set global rss = enabled
netsh int tcp show global After each execution, an “OK” message should be displayed to indicate the success of the operation.
Be sure to reboot the system. If after that the adapter does not turn on, go to the next method.
WI-FI does not work. then we go to you
Laptop owners very often contact me with questions regarding problems with the Internet connection. In this article, I have collected effective methods that will help fix problems with WI-FI on a laptop on Windows 10. Most often, the signal disappears or the wireless adapter turns off spontaneously. Now let’s take a closer look at these defects.
Resetting the TCP_IP stack
Not everyone knows this method. But very often it helps out when the connection is limited. Make sure the TCP / IP settings are correct. Better yet, reset them to their defaults right away. We use the code:
We restart the computer and try to connect to the Internet.
What are the problems?
The laptop finds the desired access point, the connection is made, the Internet works. But not for long After a while, the tray displays an exclamation mark on the network connection icon. This speaks of the restrictions that have arisen. I have to connect again, but soon the problem makes itself felt.
Also, there are times when a red cross appears on the network status icon, which indicates an unrecognized connection error. Most often, such troubles appear after updating the system or the Wi-fi driver. But first, it is worth checking whether other devices (smartphones, tablets) can connect to the access point in order to exclude a malfunction of the router.
And sometimes the laptop just doesn’t see the wireless networks. Or they appear in the list of available points, then disappear. I am sure that many of you have faced similar problems.
Remove the Wi-fi profile
There is a possibility that some changes have been made to the router settings, and the laptop is trying to use an “outdated” profile to connect. To remove it and provoke the creation of a new (updated) one, use the command:
netsh wlan delete profile name = [profile name]
You need to enter it in the command line utility (CMD). After that, you should connect, re-enter the password.
Setting the power consumption mode
If the connection is intermittently disconnected, it is likely that the laptop has certain power options specified. They are aimed at economy, so they disconnect the adapter when the battery is low. How to check it:
- Go to the properties of our wireless connection and click the “Configure” button:
- A new window will open where you need to go to the Power Management tab, as shown in the following image
- You need to check if there is a check mark next to the inscription: “Allow the PC to turn off device”.
Friends who live nearby often use directional antennas. For example, Kharchenko’s biquadrat. The signal does not pass the walls well, but it will easily fly over the courtyard. The lion’s share of equipment is equipped with a connector. Build with coaxial cable, f-connectors, foil laminated PCBs. The finished outdoor assembly is protected with a plastic cover.
A piece of coaxial cable of a fixed length can become a receiving antenna. Simply screw in the f-connector, removing the outer shield.
Purchase of new equipment
The new equipment is devoid of the shortcomings of previous generations. Miniature antennas are developing by leaps and bounds. Reception becomes more confident every 5 years. Buy Mutually Compatible:
- New router.
- Laptop wireless adapter (built-in or external).
Look for technical characteristics yourself, the scope of the review does not allow you to solve purely engineering problems. Today, another implementation of the Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11ad protocol has appeared, using the 60 GHz bands. Interference will be zero considering three factors:
- The equipment is relatively expensive.
- The signal is strongly extinguished by any obstacles.
- The number of equipped networks is now measured in units. Rare neighbor boasts 60 GHz band.
The speed reaches 4.6 Gbps. Faster than cable access. In addition to the radical change of the band, the use of the 5 GHz band is allowed. Today, a relatively small number of networks climb so high. Low competition will provide a confident reception.
The sites are full of messages that are overlooked by talented authors who intend to solve the problems of users of the Russian Federation. The Switch Trojan comments on a Kaspersky Lab resource. RBrute attacked ADSL modems 10 years ago. The essence of the actions:
- The code infects a device that has visited an unreliable site.
- Infected gadget starts hacking its own router.
- The attack aims to rewrite DNS addresses.
While the password is being broken, with a normal level of the Wi-Fi network, the speed is practically zero. Other gadgets can optionally use the provider’s services harmlessly.
Antivirus development experts recommend updating the router’s firmware, assuming a greater level of protection for the latest versions. Often, hopes are in vain. However, it is possible to update the firmware, given the notorious KRACK vulnerability. Proceed with caution: it is easy to spoil a router by incorrectly flashing it. Take the trouble to get an uninterruptible power supply, otherwise there is a chance of irrevocably ruining it. Follow these simple rules:
- Install the latest firmware exclusively from the manufacturer’s official website.
- Follow the recommendations carefully.
Solution to the problem
Stop wireless access immediately. A device where Wi-Fi does not work well, later you need to check with an antivirus. A hypothetically infected gadget must be cut off from router control immediately. However, you need to visit the admin panel. Try it like this:
- Turn off the router, turn it on again.
- Try to have a network, preferably wired (via cable).
- A negative result gives you a reason to call the provider. Ask about the availability of technical work.
Further logic of actions, provoked by the remaining problem, is designed to suppress the harmless intervention of the Trojan:
- It is forbidden to visit sites that require entering passwords. Sometimes a high traffic load will not allow surfing the world wide web.
- It is logical to reset the router settings using the Reset button. Make sure you know the provider’s password beforehand.
- After resetting the settings, re-authorize, assess the problem. It is advisable to try the service with another device that has not shown any problems before.
Gadgets should be checked with antivirus software. Revision of mobile operating systems is difficult. Antivirus vendors release software, but databases are often tailored for a select range of Trojans. Try to remove recently installed copies of the software downloaded from the Internet. Achieve performance in two ways:
- Change device.
- Change of router (neighbor’s will do).
The laptop does not pick up the Wi-Fi signal well
Discussing the weak Wi-Fi signal on an HP laptop, forums spammed with fake comments recommend some amazing options. Like updating a passkey. We consider the most efficient methods:
- Channel change.
- Changing the spectrum width by 20 MHz.
- Reboot the router.
- Updating drivers. Quite a controversial path. There were times when updating screen drivers made it necessary to roll back the system. Took half a day.
- Changing the type of authentication, encryption.
Indeed, often old models of routers are exposed to internal or external attacks. The bot begins to brute force the admin panel password, overloading the channel with requests. Internet is lagging. Although nominally, the laptop accepts perfectly, and the phone connects. Let’s take a look at the attack mechanism.
The first vulnerabilities of the Internet of Things (IoT) were amicably demonstrated by hackers back in 2013. Guys (or ladies) hacked into a wide range of household appliances, deliberately discovering traces of the attack. It would seem that the reception became a lesson, however
An exhibit has recently been released that imitates the functionality of the Chinese search engine Baidu. The script exploited an obvious vulnerability. the same type of default passwords. Hacked devices become part of a botnet used by attackers conducting DDOS attacks on resources.
It becomes possible to steal passwords. The cunning Trojan prescribes its own DNS server as the main one, redirecting traffic to the resources of password stealers. Kaspersky experts caught (December 4, 2017 news) 85 applications that steal data, including a game downloaded over 1 million times. Draw conclusions.
Distance of the connected device from the WI-FI router
If the router is far from the laptop, the signal may be unstable. Especially if the router is weak, and there are many obstacles between the devices in the form of walls and furniture. Metal barriers are especially harmful to the signal strength: the signal does not pass through them well and is simply reflected. To achieve the most stable connection, you need to do the following:
- It is best to be as close to the router as possible. If the laptop is moved around the apartment or even more so in a private house, then the router will not be the best option either. over, if there are several laptops in the apartment. The best option would be to place the router in the center of the room at a height of 1-1.5 meters above the floor (fix it on the wall or place it on the table).
- Keep the router away from other sources of radiation, such as microwave ovens and cordless phones, as they will interfere with the WI-FI signal.
Reinstalling the WI-FI adapter driver
Sometimes a new driver for a network adapter installed with a Windows update may not work correctly. In this case, it is recommended to reinstall the old driver, that is, to roll back. Unfortunately, errors with drivers after updating are quite common in Windows 10.
Instructions on how to update or roll back a driver using standard system tools:
- First of all, let’s try to update the software. To do this, just download it from the manufacturer’s official website and install it. In this case, you need to select your version of the system (32 or 64 bit).
- If the problem is with the newest driver, you need to roll it back. Open the “Device Manager” through the context menu “Start”.
- In the window we find the item “Network adapters” and find the one with the word “Wireless” in its name. Click on it with the right mouse button and select “Properties” in the context menu.
- In the window that opens, select the “Driver” section on top and click on the “Update” item.
- In the next window, select “Search on a computer”.
- Uncheck the box “Compatible devices only” and select the previous version of the driver that was installed earlier.
- After reinstalling, you need to restart Windows and try to reconnect to the network. Check if the problem persists.
Laptop loses WI-FI network on Windows 10. all possible causes and solutions
Many users face the problem of unstable wireless connection from laptop. Below we list the ways to stabilize the connection in case the laptop loses the WI-FI network on Windows 10.
Deactivating TCP IP Autoconfiguration
- Opening the command line as administrator.
- We register the following command: “netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled”. Press the “Enter” key.
It is also recommended to disable protocol version 6 in the connection properties. To do this, go to the “Network and Sharing Center”, then go to “Changes to adapter parameters”, then right-click on the icon with the name “Wireless network” or “Wireless network connection”.
In the context menu, open the connection properties. In the “Network” tab, uncheck the “Internet Protocol version 6” item. Confirm the changes by clicking on OK, then restart Windows.
Updating WI-FI profile
If the parameters of the router to which the laptop is connected have changed, then it is worth updating the Wi-Fi profile. Otherwise, there is a chance that the connection will be dropped periodically, and the connection as a whole will be unstable. To update the WI-FI profile, you need to do the following:
- Right-click on the “Start” menu to bring up the context menu. In it we run the command line. Required as administrator.
- In the console window itself, you need to register the command “netsh wlan delete profile name = [profile name]”, where the profile name should be replaced with the name of the required network, the profile of which needs to be updated. This command is needed to remove the network from the system, after which you will need to connect to it on a new one.
- Restart Windows.
- We reconnect again to the same network.
Please note that you will have to re-enter the network security key to connect. If you do not know him, then you will not be able to connect.
So, in this article we discussed with you all the possible reasons due to which the WI-FI network on Windows 10 may be lost. Do you have any questions? Be sure to ask them in the comments! We will try to help you as soon as possible.
Disabling Power Saving Mode
Occasionally, the system may disable the wireless adapter on the laptop to conserve power. This happens when the battery is low. In this case, the laptop loses the network and it is impossible to re-implement it, since the module is disabled. To prevent the WI-FI module from turning off automatically, you need to follow a few simple steps:
- Right-click on the “Start” menu to bring up the context menu. In it we find the item “Device Manager” and click on it.
- In the window that opens, we look for the line “Network adapters”, expand it and find our WI-FI module (as a rule, the word “Wireless” should appear in the name). Click on it with the right mouse button to call properties.
- In the properties window, go to the “Power Management” tab and turn off the “Allow this device to be turned off to save energy” item. We save the changed parameters and by clicking on “OK”.
It is also recommended to activate the maximum performance mode. This is done as follows:
- Right-click on “Start”, select “Options”.
- Click on the first icon. “System”.
- In the window that opens, go to the “Power and sleep mode” section. Next, you need to expand the advanced options.
- Let’s move on to setting up a balanced power supply (or other activated circuit).
- Moving on to advanced power options.
- In the window that opens, expand the item “Wireless network adapter settings”, and then “Power saving mode”. In both lines, we set the maximum values.
Changing the distribution channel of the WI-FI network
It happens that this channel, on which your router is configured, is loaded by many other devices (neighboring routers), and because of this, the WI-FI network on Windows 10 is constantly lost. After that you have to reconnect.
So that the WI-FI network is not lost for this reason, you need to switch to a freer channel. To find it, we need the inSSIDer utility:
Downloading the utility from the official web resource
We found out which channels are free. Now let’s figure out how to switch your router to a free channel using the TP-Link router as an example:
- We go to the web interface of the router through a browser using its IP address. It is indicated on the body of the router, on the information sticker. The most common addresses are 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1. You will also need to log in there. enter the login and password from the same sticker.
- Go to additional settings by clicking on the corresponding tab at the top.
- Next, open the “Wireless Settings”.
- Here, in the line, you need to select the channel that is free (based on the inSSIDer scan results).
- Click on the “Save” button.
After switching the channel, in addition to the restored connection stability, an increase in speed is possible.
WiFi Option Not Showing on Windows 10 ( Easy Fix )
Often Wi-Fi is bad on a laptop for the following reasons:
- Weak signal. As you know, the range of coverage of a wireless network in open areas is limited to 40 meters. However, in rooms, the signal is obstructed by walls. over, the more complex the structure of the walls, the worse the signal will pass. The most obvious and simple solution to this problem is to install the router in the center of the room.
- Poor quality equipment. A weak Wi-Fi signal on a laptop and, accordingly, low Internet speed may be due to poor quality of the router. In this case, it is optimal to purchase new high-quality equipment.
Yes, yes, it also happens that due to DDOS attacks, the speed of Wi-Fi suffers. If there is a suspicion of an attack, you need to do the following:
- Terminate the wireless connection;
- Check a device that does not catch Wi-Fi well with an antivirus program;
- Reboot your router;
- Check cable speed;
- Sometimes a router reset is required;
- Check Wi-Fi performance;
- You can update your router’s firmware.
Wrong location for the router
An equally common cause of poor Wi-Fi signal, most often caused by hardware installers. In order to save time, the router is installed right in the corridor or in the closest room, where the Internet is then set up, showing the full scale of signal reception. However, if you want to use the resources of the global web in rooms remote from the modem, it is found that the signal is too weak or disappears altogether.
To fix the problem, you need to choose the right place for the router. In the process of choosing the most optimal location, you can use any mobile gadget, with which you can subsequently walk around the house and identify the signal levels. You need to install the modem at the point that shows the highest degree of Internet access.
It is important to take into account that in the presence of a large house with several floors and floors made of concrete, it is advisable to additionally install Wi-Fi repeaters at the very top of the dwelling. When connecting such repeaters to the main modem, it is better to use cables, which makes it possible to prevent loss of Internet speed.
Tip: Sometimes bringing phones, laptops or tablets too close to the modem can degrade the signal quality. For this reason, it is important to maintain a minimum distance of a couple of meters between devices.
The picture shows a menu where you can change the channel and range (for example, a TP-Link router):
One of the most common reasons for apartment buildings. The point is in the limited number of radio channels that are usually used as access points on standard modems. In our country, their number is 13, but Europeans have to be content with only 11 available points. At the same time, radio channels that do not have any effect on each other are only 3 pieces.
Checking for overload is simple. If more than 10 access points are found on a laptop, you can be sure that the range is congested. Accordingly, as the number of such radio signals increases, the quality of the Internet will deteriorate.
To solve the problem, you can use the selection method, as a result of which there is a chance to find the least loaded channel. However, it should be borne in mind that such a high density of access points implies a constant change in the load of radio channels during the day, so sometimes this method becomes useless.
In such a situation, the most effective, but also quite expensive solution is to switch to another 5 GHz Internet band, which almost always remains free, and there are no problems with crossing frequencies.
The problem of poor wireless internet at home is becoming more and more urgent. At the same time, quite often the user has to deal with it on his own, since difficulties of this kind are not within the competence of the provider, and the service center, as a rule, is limited only to rendering the result directly about the breakdown or malfunction of the equipment after testing it.
However, in the vast majority of cases, users are able to resolve difficulties on their own, since there are not so many reasons for a poor Wi-Fi signal and most of them can be solved on their own at home.
Why does internet speed drop? From diagnostics to problem solving. the following is about this
There can be a variety of reasons why Wi-Fi does not work well on a laptop. But, as a rule, for the Internet to work properly, it is enough to set the settings correctly:
- find and activate the “Control Panel”. Next, select “Device Manager”, which is located in the “Hardware and Sound” tab;
- in the “Network adapters” section we find two tabs called “Ethernet” and “Wi-Fi”, in one of which you should find Wireless. This will be the required adapter.
However, sometimes the information you need about the receiver cannot be found. This happens when:
- the presence of an icon, which is a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside, indicating that the adapter is defective;
- the absence of any records indicating the absence of settings. In this case, you need an installation disc.
Sometimes next to the selected item is the same yellow triangle-shaped icon. To fix the problem, you need to right-click on this icon. After that, you need to select “Engage”. This option is appropriate in case of activation of the economy operating mode of the receiver. In the “Properties” section, you need to go to “Power Management”, where uncheck the box next to “Allow this device to be turned off to save energy”.
There is no doubt that Hewlett and Packard are brilliant developers who gave the world great hardware and trouble-free software. But, as practice shows, often HP laptops are bad at catching Wi-Fi.
What is the reason? As a rule, this is due to incorrect operation of the hardware after the update has occurred in the presence of new versions of Windows 10 and Windows 7.
What to do in such a situation? To fix the problem, you need to download the HP Support Assistant.
After starting, go to the section “My PC”, then. “Updates”, where you need to download the adapter update for Wi-Fi “Broadcom”. As a result, a significant expansion of the list of available networks, as well as the full scale of signal reception.
This can happen not only on HP laptops. It would be more correct to say that it is PCs with Windows 10 that often face the problem of turning off Wi-Fi due to updates and incorrectly installed drivers.