Windows 10 microphone not working. what to do?
One of the common problems in Windows 10 is microphone issues, especially since the recent Windows update. The microphone may NOT work at all or in some specific programs, for example, in Skype, or in the entire system. In this instruction, step by step on what to do if the microphone stopped working in Windows 10 on a computer or laptop, both after updating, and after reinstalling the OS, or without any action at all from the user. There is also a video at the end of the article that demonstrates all the steps.
Before proceeding, be sure to check the microphone connection (so that it is connected to the correct connector, the connection is tight), even if you are completely sure that everything is in order with it. Important note: if you have headphones with a microphone with one connector, they require a combined input / output for the microphone and headphones, and this is not available in every PC and laptop.
Checking recording devices
Make sure your microphone is set as the default recording and communication device. For this:
- In the latest version of Windows 10, right-click on the speaker icon, select Open Sound Options, and on the next screen, select Sound Control Panel under Related Options, then click the Recording tab. In earlier Windows 10 versions, right-click on the speaker icon in the notification area, select “Sounds”, and in the window that opens, open the “Recording” tab.
- If your microphone appears but is not listed as the default communication and recording device, right-click on it and select Use Default and Use Default Communication Device.
- If the microphone is listed and already set as the default device, select it and click the Properties button. Check the parameters on the “Levels” tab, try disabling the “Exclusive mode” checkboxes on the “Advanced” tab.
- If the microphone is NOT displayed, Similarly, right-click anywhere in the list and enable the display of hidden and disconnected devices. is there a microphone among them?
- If there is a device and is disabled, right-click on it and select “Enable”.
If, as a result of these actions, nothing was achieved and the microphone still does not work (or could not be displayed in the list of recording devices), go to the next method.
Microphone check in device manager
Perhaps the problem is in the sound card drivers and the microphone does not work for this reason (and it also depends on your sound card).
- Go to the device manager (for this you can right-click on “Start” and select the desired item in the context menu). In Device Manager, open the “Audio Inputs and Audio Outputs” section.
- If the microphone is not displayed there. we either have problems with the drivers, or the microphone is NOT connected, or is faulty, try to continue from the 4th step.
- If the microphone is displayed, but you see an exclamation mark near it (it works with an error), try right-clicking on the microphone, select “Delete”, confirm the deletion. Then in the Device Manager menu select “Action”. “Update hardware configuration”. Perhaps after that it will work.
- In a situation where the microphone is NOT displayed, you can try reinstalling the sound card drivers, for a start. in a simple way (automatically): open the “Sound, game and video devices” section in the device manager, right-click on your sound card, select “Uninstall »Confirm deletion. After uninstalling in Device Manager, select “Action”. “Update Hardware Configuration”. Drivers Will have to be reinstalled and, possibly, after that the microphone will appear in the list again.
If you had to resort to step 4, but this did NOT solve the problems, try installing the sound card drivers manually from the website of the manufacturer of your motherboard (if it is a PC) or laptop specifically for your model (i.e. NOT from the driver-pack and not just “Realtek” and the like from third-party sources). Learn more in Windows 10 sound missing.
Microphone stopped working after Windows 10 update or reinstall
After the recent big update of Windows 10, many have faced the issue in question. Likewise, the microphone may stop working after a clean install of the latest system.
The reason for this (often, but not always, further described methods may be required) is the new OS privacy settings that allow you to configure access to the microphone for various programs.
Therefore, if you have the latest version of Windows 10 installed, before attempting the methods from the following sections of the guide, try these simple steps:
- Open Settings (WinI keys or through the Start menu). Privacy.
- On the left, select “Microphone”.
- Make sure microphone access is enabled. Otherwise, click “Change” and enable access, also enable application access to the microphone just below.
- Even lower on the same settings page in the section “Select applications that can access the microphone”, Make sure that access is enabled for those applications where you plan to use it (if the programs are in the list. everything is in order).
- Enable access for the Win32WebViewHost (or Desktop Web Viewer) app here.
You can then check if the problem has been resolved. If not, we try to use the following ways to fix the situation.
Microphone does not work in Skype or other software
Some programs, such as Skype, other programs for communication, screen recording, and other tasks, have their own microphone settings. THOSE. Even if you set the correct recorder in Windows 10, the settings in the program may differ. over, even if you have already set up the correct microphone, and then unplugged and reconnected it, these settings in programs can sometimes be reset.
Therefore, if the microphone stopped working only in a specific program, carefully study its settings, perhaps all you need to do is specify the correct microphone there. For example, in Skype, this option is in Tools. Options. Sound Settings.
Also Considering that in some cases, the problem may be caused by a faulty connector, and not by the connected connectors of the front panel of the PC (if you connect a microphone to it), by a microphone cable (you can check its operation on another computer) or some other hardware malfunction.
If you DO NOT see images, including on the connection to an external monitor, then try resetting the hardware settings:
- Unplug the laptop and remove the battery.
- Press the power button for twenty seconds.
- Reconnect the equipment.
- Turn on the laptop and select normal boot of the operating system.
You can also try updating your video card drivers or revert the system to the state before the monitor stopped showing if you have backups.
Why the laptop monitor may NOT work?
Often, if a laptop is broken, the monitor does not work. This is Acer, ASUS or LG. The brand is not important, as the malfunctions in computers are usually the same.
Problems are of the following type:
- The monitor turns gray.
- The picture is very difficult to see.
- Image stripes.
- There is no signal at all.
Such problems, as a rule, arise due to such breakdowns:
- Damage to the connector or matrix cable.
- Burnout of the decoder or failure of the monitor matrix.
- Graphics card problems.
- Damaged screen matrix inverter.
- Backlight problems.
It is also worth remembering that it will not necessarily be a matter of breakdowns. There are hardware reasons why the monitor on a laptop does not work, or it functions too dimly:
- You accidentally pressed the screen light off key. It is located on one of the function buttons F1 to F12. Most often it looks like a crossed out square. The key can also accidentally stick.
- You set the brightness level to zero.
- A hardware or driver error has occurred.
- You installed the RAM module incorrectly.
Connect an external monitor
If the above tools did not help you, then try to diagnose the laptop by connecting an external monitor to it via the HDMI or VGA connector. Do not forget to check that the computer monitor or TV is also working and is connected to a power source.
If the image is displayed on an external monitor, then there is nothing good about it. Most likely, this means that the cable is damaged in the laptop itself or the screen matrix is broken. Then you just have to go to the service center and ask the specialists a question: “Why the monitor on the laptop does not work?”
Reinstall the RAM module
If the monitor on your laptop stopped working after you disassembled it or installed new memory, then you can try to partially disassemble the laptop again, pull out the memory module and put it back, already correctly.
If the image is very difficult to see
If you have an image on your monitor, but it is very dim, then the problem is not in the matrix. Most likely, the monitor backlight on the laptop does not work. Backlight problems can be different too. It may simply burn out, or it may be closed, have poor contact, or feel a lack of power due to problems with the inventory. It will be possible to understand what is wrong with your matrix only after testing the entire circuit. In any case, if you do not have experience with laptops, you will definitely not carry out such testing yourself, so you will have to contact the specialists at the service center.
Check the screen off button
The screen off button can also fall in. It is also tied to the F1-F12 keys or is located separately. Sinking can occur when the keyboard is old, or if you spill something sweet on it. You can cope with sinking with a toothpick or fine needle.
Why the monitor does not work on a laptop: Possible causes and troubleshooting methods
Very often people are faced with the problem that their monitor does not work on a laptop. The screen may function partially, but show poorly, or, for example, NOT reproduce anything at all, and will not turn on or be covered with an even gray color. This problem needs to be solved in different ways, depending on the reasons that caused it.
Everyone would like to know why the monitor on a laptop does not work in it, and it is not very difficult to do this even at home. Often, you yourself will be able to reanimate the equipment, and if I don’t, you will know how to describe the problem to a specialist.
If the image is defective
The monitor on the laptop does not work: the screen shows, but stripes and spots creep along it? There can be many reasons for this problem too. To install them, you will need to do a few steps.
First, try connecting an external monitor to your laptop. If defects appear there, then the cause of the breakdown is immediately clear. It lies in the problems with the video card. The video cards may have weak contacts or some internal problems. Weak contacts can still be dealt with by warming them up with a hairdryer or by soldering the chip, but internal breakdowns will most likely require a complete replacement of the video card. Remember that you will definitely not re-solder the video card yourself at home. This is a very complex process, which requires experience Not only in soldering, but also in working with laptops. Even an experienced repairman has a 70 to 30 percent success rate at best.
If the external monitor displays a normal image, then the problem is not with the laptop matrix, but most likely with its cable. Most often, problems with the loop are indicated by wide vertical stripes that periodically appear on the screen. Also, when pressing on some parts of the monitor, the image may suddenly partially disappear or, conversely, be highlighted.
Plume. This part is very capricious and fragile, and also quite inexpensive. So if malfunctions are identified in it, then it will be much easier to simply replace it.
It is worth noting that not all the reasons why people do not have a monitor on a laptop are listed here. In any case, only a specialist can carry out a full diagnosis. Also, we did not talk about visible damage to the screen, since here the reason for the absence of an image is obvious.
If the monitor on your laptop suddenly stops working, and before that everything was fine, then try changing the brightness level. To do this, hold down the Fn key and press the function button to increase the brightness. This will help if the screen is NOT completely dim, but just very dim.
How to enable touch mouse on Lenovo, Toshiba and HP laptops
To understand why the touch mouse does not work on a Lenovo, HP or Toshiba laptop, you need to take a closer look at the working panel: these models have a barely noticeable depression above the touch field. Double-tapping it, like a double-click, should return the touchpad to a working state. Only when all of the above did not help, it makes sense to go deeper. into the BIOS settings.
Reinstalling the touchpad driver
Removing the driver entails the need to reinstall it. If you have a folder on your computer where you carefully store all the drivers you have ever Saved and installed, do not worry about what will happen after deletion. But if you have neither a flash drive, nor an external HD, nor a folder where the installation files for the equipment whose driver you are going to uninstall would be stored, you should download the software before uninstalling.
If you do not know the parameters of your equipment, the name and model, or you do not want to search for software on the network yourself, trust the updated Windows Center. In this case, the system itself recognizes the device parameters, searches for the required software and installs it. This is possible due to the fact that all developers publish their projects and updates to Windows Update.
An alternative could be any of the third party driver managers. The program will always inform you if an update has been released, and will also be able to find and install the necessary software.
Touchpad customization from Synaptics
The manufacturer Synaptics supplies hardware as accessories to laptop assembly plants. This model is most often found in modern laptop computers, and you can configure it through the standard menu, which is very convenient if the mouse sensor does not work on your laptop.
- Open the “Control Panel” window to go from there to the “Hardware and Sound” section.
- Named on the line “Mouse”.
- Go to the “Parameters” tab.
- The manufacturer of the panel and its active or inactive position will be indicated here.
If the system says that the touch mouse is disabled, you just need to activate it.
However, the button reserved for turning on the pointing device may disappear. In this case, you need to follow the steps of the algorithm:
- On the manufacturer’s website download the driver for your Synaptics Touchpad model. If the model code is unknown, you can specify the laptop model in the search bar on the website. You can download and unpack the utility at any convenient place.
- Now you need to update the driver. To do this, open the “Start” menu, go to the “Control Panel”, go to the “Mouse” hardware section, from there. “Synaptics SMBus TouchPad”. Next, you need to open “Properties” in order to “Change parameters”. Select “Driver” from the options, then “Update Driver”. This will help if the mouse sensor on a laptop does not work due to outdated or inoperative software.
- When asked by the system about where to look for the driver, indicate the search on the computer. After clicking on the “Browse” button, you will be able to specify the path to the folder into which the utilities were downloaded and unpacked from the manufacturer’s official website. Prescribed the path, you need to put a checkbox for the “Include subfolders” parameter to make all the contents of the address available.
- Now pressing the “Next” button to start the process.
- It is imperative to restart your computer so that the system takes into account the changes made.
If the user knows why the touchpad on the laptop stopped working, and the problem lies in the driver, but it was not possible to update it through the described method, you can go an alternative way. The main thing is to download the utility from the official website corresponding to the sensor model.
The downloaded archive will contain an installation file with a typical extension “.Exe”, traditionally called “Setup.Exe”. Double click on the file to start the installation. The welcome window will appear first:
It is easy to install the pointing device settings program by following the prompts from the dialog menu. If it works fine upon completion, it will be easy to fix the next failure after updating Windows. just repeat the installation process.
Test the touchpad in Windows
Try to find the sensor power button
Some manufacturers place a separate button on the case that is responsible for activating / deactivating the touchpad. Before analyzing any possible causes of failure, make sure the switch is in the active position. If a separate indicator is not provided for such a button, after pressing, you will need to check the sensor for operability by touching or moving.
Most HP notebook models have this button disguised in the corner of the touchpad. To turn it on, you need to double-tap the edge of the sensitive area. If you moved the switch to the active position, but you still have a positive result, it’s time to test the rest of the methods.
Updating the built-in mouse driver
Almost all modern devices are equipped with drivers, complete with which special utilities are supplied to monitor version compliance. Every time an update is released, this utility will display a message on the screen asking you to install a new version. If you give permission to the software in the settings Not only inform about the release of updates, but also download and install them in the background. the user will not even know that the system has updated the drivers.
You can also initiate the download of new versions through the Device Manager, if the built-in mouse on the laptop does not work. drivers for native peripherals are available here.
- First you need to find the latest driver on the official website of the manufacturer of the peripheral device or laptop. As a rule, utilities are supplied in archives, therefore, the package must be extracted from the archive into any folder convenient for you.
- Use the “Win” “X” hotkeys to bring up the shortcut menu to launch the “Device Manager”. Those who have an operating system older than Win 10 will first have to go to “Start” and type the desired section in the search bar.
- Select the required device from the list of devices. If the touch mouse on the laptop does not work, it will be called the right-click on the line “Mice and other pointing devices”. In the context menu, click “Properties”.
- Driver Tab will offer Update Driver.
- Next, the menu will offer two options for searching for updates: automatically on the Internet or manually on disk. If you choose automatic download, the system itself will go to the Internet and perform a search, download and installation. But often this option ends with a message that the system failed to update, the reasons may NOT be specified. Therefore, manual installation is safer. By choosing to search for the driver on the device, you can specify the folder into which you unpacked the archive with the utility.
- Specified the path to the installation file, you can click “Next”.
If the system indicates mismatch of certificates of authenticity or mismatch of digital signatures, but you are sure that you downloaded the utility from an official source, and not from a pirated copy site, Disable cryptographic verification of digital signatures in Windows and run the installation again.
Check if the panel is enabled in BIOS
The abbreviation BIOS stands for the basic input-output system in Russian. It has such a name NOT accidentally. through the basic menu, you can configure the operation of all peripherals, including the sensor. To enter the menu, you need to have time to press the keyboard key responsible for accessing the BIOS before the OS boots. Most manufacturers have this “Delete” (“Del”), but there are other options.
- We press the power button. for a disconnected laptop, or reboot the working system. It is important even before the Microsoft logo appears to click “Delete” (or “F2” for some models).
- Go to the “Advanced” tab using the keyboard arrows. Here it is important to find the “Internal Pointing Device” item to set the “Enabled” parameter for it.
- By pressing “F10” We will tell the system to save the changes, and by pressing “Y” to confirm the intentions.
In order not to get confused at the sight of the English-language menu, you can first find on the network instructions with translation into Russian, which will facilitate the search for the desired item.
Check the touchpad settings in Windows. How to enable touchpad on Asus, Samsung and Acer laptops
Often the owner himself forgets that he turns off the device when working with text, which is why the Acer, Asus or Samsung touch mouse does not work on the laptop. These manufacturers did NOT equip the operating position with an LED, which is why NOT everyone can remember that they turned off the device on their own, so that when typing with their thumbs, they do not accidentally move the cursor.
Having found on one of the buttons (F1. F12) an icon resembling a touch panel, symbolically crossed out, you can simultaneously press it with the Fn button and look at the screen to see if a corresponding message appears. If the keyboard is worn, or for some reason not all keys have signs indicating actions, you can try each one in turn to find the one you need. Do not forget to repeat the combination a second time if it is responsible for turning off some other device in order to return it to its working position. Or you can find a manual on working with your laptop model on the Internet to find out which button the cursor control is hidden under.