USB headphone connection versus normal connection
Is there a difference between a USB connected device and a standard TRS jack?
Yes, there is a difference. It lies in the fact that any additional USB device that can play sound is considered Windows separate from the second and can be flexibly controlled. While your sound card is seen by Windows as a single device, and if you connect speakers and headphones to it at the same time, Windows will still see them as a sound device.
But what if you want to switch between speakers and headphones, which are connected to the same device?
There is a solution, but I will describe you only a general algorithm, because Each of the sound-reproducing devices may differ significantly from the second in the proprietary application interface or settings.
Make sure you have the latest drivers and firmware for your sound device on your computer. This is a prerequisite.
Is it possible to set up automatic switching from speakers to headphones and vice versa?
Consider a situation when you have one sound card to which you simultaneously connected headphones and speakers.
You connected the speakers to the green output on the back of the computer, and the headphones to the audio jack on the front of the computer.
If the front panel connections to the sound card are correct, the sound card software will automatically switch between audio output to speakers and headphones.
Windows will always be sure that the sound is being output through the sound card, and will give it all the audio stream for processing and output. The sound card will independently detect whether the headphones are connected or not and output sound to them.
Selecting the audio playback device in the application
Let’s return to our situation, when we have 2 sound devices: speakers built into the monitor and a separate sound card.
Let’s say you have installed a voice chat application. I’ll use the Discord app for this example.
In the settings of all such applications there is an item that allows you to select a sound-reproducing and recording device that will be used when this application is active, NOT depending on which device was selected by default in Windows. Let’s go to the audio settings of the Discord program. We see that we can select separate devices for recording audio and its output. What does it give us?
We can choose the same audio output device that we use for everything else, or we can choose a separate one. Thus, we can split several audio streams for output to different devices.
For example, you have good external speakers that you use to sound your game, and there are speakers built into your monitor that you DO NOT use at all. By configuring audio output devices inside Discord, you can make sure that the voice of your interlocutors is output through the speakers in the monitor, and the sound of the game is output through good external speakers.
To do this, you need to select external speakers in Windows by default, the game will see these settings and use it for itself. And in Discord, we will choose the audio output device for the speakers in the monitor. Now all the voices of the interlocutors will be voiced by the monitor, and the game will be good speakers.
As you understand this is just an example, you can choose any sound device as it is convenient or appropriate for you.
Likewise, you can choose different recording devices if you have multiple microphones. For one application will use one microphone, and for the second a second, or vice versa.
How to switch the audio output from speakers to headphones and vice versa
Select the default audio playback device
Let’s say you have one sound card and you connected a monitor with speakers, while you already have good speakers that are connected to the sound card.
Of course, the sound quality of SEPARATE speakers will be better than in the built-in speakers, therefore, in order for the sound to be output from SEPARATE speakers, we need to select the sound card as the default playback device.
After we have selected the sound card as the default device, all sound from the computer will be output through it.
Switching audio output devices using third-party programs
Switching playback devices in Windows is not very convenient, and sometimes you want to do it faster and more clearly.
There are several programs for this:
- Audio Switcher
- Razer Surround
The first two programs work only for switching sound playback devices, but do not introduce any distortions into the sound and do NOT perform additional processing.
Razer Surround is also suitable for switching devices, but its main purpose is to create virtual surround sound in games. Therefore, if you do not play games, it will be superfluous for you.
How to set up automatic and semi-automatic sound switching from speakers to headphones using Audio Switcher
After launching, you will see a simple interface, the purpose of which is to give you the flexibility to switch between different sound-reproducing devices. Configure the program to start automatically when Windows starts so that it always works. Select the audio devices you need, you can configure the selection of THESE devices using hot keys.
The program is very lightweight, does not require installation and works exactly as it should. With hotkeys you can switch between devices instantly.
How to get to the control panel of sound-playing devices in Windows
In the lower right corner of the screen, find the clock, to the left of it there will be a “Speaker” icon, right-click on it.
In the pop-up menu, select the item “Sounds” and click on it with the left mouse button.
You have entered the Windows audio device control menu. Within the framework of this article, we are only interested in the “Playback” tab.
How audio output works on a Windows computer
At the very beginning, I want to explain how the sound interface works on a computer, so that you understand what we will talk about next.
The computer sees any device that is capable of playing sound separately from the others. If an ordinary computer has only one sound card, whether built-in or separate, then in some cases THESE devices can be much more.
In order to enable a person to control these devices, as well as to automate sound playback in general, Windows computers have a special item in the sound output settings, which is called the “default device”.
What does “default device” mean??
This menu item shows us which device is currently responsible for outputting sound or recording sound.
For example, if your computer has many sound-reproducing devices, then this setting will show which device is currently playing sound.
Why does a black screen appear after turning on a computer or laptop?
A black screen may appear if the monitor or cable is faulty between it and the PC.
However, this is NOT the only reason why there are images on the screen.
Other reasons include:
- The problem is in loading the operating system;
- Computer treatment with antivirus. In this situation, the desktop may NOT load;
- Using pirated Windows;
- Malfunction of parts of the system unit. You need to check the video card, motherboard, RAM, power supply;
- Incorrectly installed drivers.
What is monitor mode on a laptop and how to activate it
As already mentioned, there are function keys to activate the laptop screen. They also allow you to change the brightness of the display. You can find out the buttons responsible for this function by the sun drawn on them.
You can press the desired key by simultaneously pressing it and on Fn.
It is worth saying that the laptop can work in monitor mode for a PC. The settings are the same as for the second screen. A prerequisite. the laptop must have a video input.
Why do I turn on the computer and the monitor is NOT responding
Until now, we have considered functions related only to the activation and activation of the image transmission device. However, there are often problems with the monitor.
The reasons that the screen does NOT respond when the PC is running may be the following:
- The cable is poorly connected or not connected;
- The video adapter is damaged;
- The problem is in the power supply;
- There is not enough RAM or it is faulty;
- If there are two video cards, the display is connected to a disconnected.
In some situations, the display itself may break.
How to turn on the monitor on a computer and laptop
Turning on a monitor already connected to a computer or laptop is easy. It is enough to press the power button. “Power” on its front panel. This is only required if, when the PC was turned off, users also turned off the display.
If the computer was turned off without turning off the screen, when turned on, the “Power” button lights up automatically, the display works.
Another thing is connecting a new monitor.
To enable it:
- Make sure the device is securely attached to the stand;
- Let’s check that there are 2 cables. The first is needed for food. It has a socket for an outlet on one end. The second cable is for connecting to a computer. This is the so-called interface cable, it has a plug with two screws;
- Let’s find an elongated connector on the system unit, reminiscent of an inverted trapezoid. This is the entrance to the video card;
- Carefully connect the interface cable to the display with screws and insert it into the video card port;
- Connect the power cable;
- Check that the connections are NOT loose;
- Turn on your PC and monitor. The started download shows that everything is in order.
The native screen on the laptop turns on automatically. The additional connection is carried out in the same way as to the PC.
Why, when the PC is turned on, the monitor says that there is no signal
If after you turn on the computer, it says that there is no signal, the problem is definitely not in the display.
You need to look for the reasons in the following:
- Connecting cables. They must sit firmly in the connectors and be plugged into the correct source;
- Malfunction of the video card;
- System unit details.
Why does the monitor flicker in different colors when the computer is turned on
Malfunctions are indicated not only by a black screen, but also by multi-colored flashing.
The reasons for this malfunction are usually as follows:
- Broken or poor cable connection;
- Malfunction of the monitor;
- The problem is in the video card. Reinstalling the driver often helps.
How to connect a monitor to a laptop, connection problems
Good afternoon, dear reader! Everyone knows that it is impossible to work without a screen on a computer or laptop. However, problems in its functioning arise quite often. They are connected with the correct connection, various kinds of malfunctions. Additionally, there are questions about non-standard situations that require a computer to work without a monitor or with two image transmission devices at the same time.
- How to turn on the monitor on a computer and laptop
- Using the keyboard
- How can I turn on a computer without a monitor
- Can I connect the monitor to turn on the computer
- How to connect a second monitor on a laptop and PC
- How to turn on sound in a PC or laptop on a monitor
- What is monitor mode on a laptop and how to activate it
- Why do I turn on the computer and the monitor is NOT responding
- Why does a black screen appear after turning on a computer or laptop?
- Why, when the PC is turned on, the monitor says that there is no signal
- Why does the monitor flicker in different colors when I turn on the computer
- Video review
Is it possible to connect the monitor to turn on the computer
With the computer turned on and working without an image transmission device, you need to turn it off before connecting the display to it.
Many people think that turning off the PC is not necessary, however, one day such an action can lead to damage to the video card.
How to turn on sound in a PC or laptop on a monitor
If the monitor used is equipped with speakers, then to connect the sound you need NOT 2 cables, but 3. The latter must have a mini jack connector. It is usually green, just like the connector on the board.
All sound on TV when connecting a computer via HDMI
The HDMI standard allows you to easily display image and sound from a laptop or computer to an external monitor or TV. To transfer picture and sound, you just need to connect your computer to the device via a cable. But, as with any other data transfer standard, problems with HDMI can arise, including due to incorrect Windows settings. One of the common mistakes that users have to face is the lack of sound on the TV when connecting a computer to it via HDMI. There are several ways to fix this problem, which will be discussed below.
Please note: Before proceeding with the tips below, make sure that the lack of sound on the TV when the computer is connected to it via HDMI is NOT related to the settings of the TV itself. Often the reason is quite trivial. the sound of the TV is reduced to zero or the “Silence Mode” (Mute) is on.
Selecting the correct playback device
When an external information output device such as a TV or monitor is connected to a computer via HDMI, the Windows operating system should automatically determine that the sound will be broadcast from the connected source by default. If this did not happen for one reason or another, the user must independently assign a TV as a sound reproduction device. For this:
- In the lower right corner of the screen, click on the speaker icon (“Digital Audio”) with the right mouse button and in the window that opens, select “Playback devices”;
Important: If you DO NOT see a connected monitor or TV in the list of available playback devices, right-click anywhere in an empty space and check the boxes “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disconnected devices”. Try to find a connected monitor / TV among them.
In a situation where even among the hidden devices it was not possible to find the TV / monitor connected via HDMI, you can try the actions described below.
All audio through HDMI on TV due to hardware issues
The second most common prerequisite for no sound when connecting a computer to an external monitor / TV via HDMI is a hardware problem. It can manifest itself in two ways:
Defective HDMI wire. It is not excluded that the wire through which the devices are connected was previously pinched or damaged by its contact base. There is a possibility that there is a partial wire break or other problem;
Installing drivers for audio output via HDMI
Another prerequisite for why there is no sound through HDMI on the TV may be the lack of drivers. Most often, this problem occurs if, when installing the drivers for the video card, users manually selected the components to be installed and disabled the installation of drivers for HDMI.
You can find out if the drivers for audio output via HDMI to your computer are installed in the device manager. This requires:
- Press the WindowsR key combination on the keyboard and write the devmgmt.Msc command in the window that opens;
If only a sound card is listed in the list of available audio devices, you need to download drivers from the video card to your computer and install their components that are responsible for transmitting sound through HDMI. To do this, go to the Intel, NVIDIA or AMD website and download the latest video card drivers, then run their installation. At the installation stage, select manual mode and be sure to check “HD Audio Driver” among the available drivers.
Please note: The driver responsible for audio output via HDMI is called “HD Audio Driver” on the NVIDIA graphics card. On the second cards, it may be called differently.
After installing the necessary drivers, restart your computer and try to reconnect it via HDMI to the TV.
Vs sound when connecting a laptop to a TV via HDMI
It so happened that in our time the TV is considered one of the main attributes, which should be in the house. And many have had LED TVs or plasma TVs for a long time. And almost every model has support for USB and HDMI, which is one of the criteria when choosing a TV.
Well, everything is clear with USB, I downloaded the movie, dropped it on a USB flash drive and you watch. Now, I want to talk about HDMI connectivity. It’s just that my friends bought TVs with an HDMI cable, but when they came home, they found out that when the laptop was connected to the TV via HDMI, there was sound, and only the picture was displayed on the screen. Well, the sound remained in the speakers (headphones) of the computer. And with surprise, they called me with a request to help figure it out.
When I looked, the cable was plugged in ok and into the right connectors. Sometimes users simply confuse and insert the cable into the integrated HDMI port, instead of the port located directly on the video card. But in this case everything was connected correctly. Hoping that the cable was not defective, I started looking in the system settings for the reason due to which there is no sound when connecting a laptop (computer) to a TV via HDMI.
It often happens that many people confuse HDMI with a simple cable for connecting a monitor and connect a VGA cable to a laptop or computer, after which a picture appears on the screen, and there is sound. Because VGA (blue-ended monitor connection cable) only transmits the image, the same goes for the DVI cable, so if you need sound be sure to use HDMI.
Vs sound when connecting laptop to TV via HDMI, how to fix
As it turned out, the laptop and computers, when connected to HDMI, automatically switch only to display the picture, and the sound device leaves the one that was previously selected by default. Therefore, for us to fully transmit sound and picture via HDMI cable, we need to specify our TV as a device that reproduces sound by default.
Having connected the cable to the TV and laptop in advance, we go down to the right corner to the sound icon and open its settings with the right mouse button (just in case, instructions on what to do if the sound icon disappeared). A context menu will appear in which we click on “Playback devices”.
A settings window will appear, where by selecting the “Playback” tab, in front of you you will see all the Possible sound devices that are connected to the laptop (computer). In the screenshot below, I can find that there are 2 sound cards with speakers and a TV sound output.
Since we need a TV as a playback device, right-click on the name and select “Use as default”.
Then close the window with the button “OK”. After that, the problem with the fact that there is no sound when connecting the laptop to the TV via HDMI should disappear.
In a similar way, you can also return the sound back to the speakers, headphones of a laptop (computer) by selecting the desired device as the main one for playing sound. This is where the setup ends, now you can easily figure out if there is no sound when you connect your computer to the TV via HDMI.
For those who do NOT display a TV in the playback settings, but the picture is transmitted, then you HERE.
Be sure to subscribe who has NOT done this yet and follow us on social networks. Good luck to all!
Faded, faded colors when connected via HDMI
The first, very common and easily corrected situation: after connecting the monitor to a computer or laptop using an HDMI cable, all colors become pale and desaturated.
The reason for this is that most video cards expose a limited sampling range (dynamic range) when a new HDMI display is connected. To change this, follow these steps:
- Right-click on an empty spot on the desktop and select your graphics card’s utilities to customize the image, for example: NVIDIA Control Panel, Intel Graphics Settings, Radeon Settings.
- In the properties of the connected displays, find the items responsible for color settings. For example, in the NVIDIA Control Panel, this item will be in Display. Change Resolution. Apply the Following Settings. Use NVIDIA Color Settings. In the “Output dynamic range” item, set “Full”.
- In the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, the same is found in the “Basic Settings” section under “Sampling Range”.
- In AMD Radeon settings, the setting is in the display properties, where you need to select “Advanced settings”. “Pixel format”. RGB format 4: 4: 4 (Full RGB).
Also pay attention to the following points:
- If instead of a monitor you use a TV connected via HDMI, then the inclusion of the YCbCr 4: 4: 4 color format can give a better result.
- If any adapter or converter is used, i.e. NOT HDMI-HDMI connection, such a setting may NOT appear in the list.
Fuzzy fonts, blurry image
There are several possible reasons for an unclear image when outputting via HDMI and second interfaces.
The most important reason for an unclear image on the monitor, regardless of the type of connection, is that the resolution that the screen physically has cannot be set. Often, when purchasing a monitor or laptop with a high-resolution screen, users, so that everything does not seem small, change the resolution: everything becomes larger, but blurry. Solution for this situation:
- Choose the screen resolution that your monitor or TV has physically. Usually, it is determined automatically and indicated in the “Recommended” item, otherwise you can familiarize yourself with the monitor specifications on the Internet. See How to change the screen resolution in Windows 10.
- If you have installed an old OS without scaling support on a laptop with a high resolution screen and the only way to achieve an acceptable size of system elements is to reduce the resolution, I cannot help here. The fonts will remain blurry. Solution. using Windows 10 in the latest versions with scaling is still fine.
- Keep in mind that even when the resolution changes in multiples: for example, you set Full HD on a 4k monitor, blur will also be present (though not so noticeable).
If the resolution is set correctly, you are using NOT a monitor, but a TV, but the fonts are still Blurry, read the separate instruction How to fix Blurred fonts in Windows 10 (some of the solutions are also applicable for previous OS versions).
In a situation where you encounter blurry images after connecting a PC or laptop to a TV as a monitor, while not sitting close to it, carefully Study the TV settings: often the prerequisite is the included “image enhancement” functions implemented on the TV.
Jittering mouse pointer, jerking image when connected via HDMI
If, after connecting a monitor or TV via HDMI, you notice that the system interface does not behave smoothly for centuries, as before, it is usually a matter of the refresh rate, which can be changed in the settings.
However, here it should be borne in mind that an acceptable refresh rate may not be available and it often depends on the screen:
- For example, when connecting a laptop or PC with Intel integrated graphics to a 4k UHD display, you usually will NOT be able to get a refresh rate higher than 30 Hz (for those adapters that are relevant at the time of this writing).
- If both the video card and the monitor support the High refresh rate for HDMI, but you took the cable itself from the “box with wires” or bought it, and did not pay attention to the HDMI version (and it happens that on cheap Chinese cables for 100-200 rubles the information is NOT correct ), the cable bandwidth may not be sufficient for the desired refresh rate.
Details on how to change the refresh rate of the monitor screen, in the same place about other reasons why you cannot set the desired frequency.
Poor HDMI picture quality. why and how to fix it?
When connecting a computer or laptop to a monitor or TV via HDMI, you may experience that the image quality has deteriorated in one way or another. as if faded colors, fuzzy fonts and general blurring of the image, strange twitching, lack of smoothness of the OS interface, and others.
This guide will detail what can cause poor HDMI video and what actions you can take in each case. The situation when the video card driver is not considered to be the fault, I assume that you downloaded and installed the latest official driver manually (Considering that the device manager message is that the driver does not need to be updated, do not say that you have the correct driver installed). See Also: How to Connect Laptop to TV, No HDMI Sound.
Other Causes of Poor HDMI Display
In conclusion, there are a few more points that can affect the image quality when connected using an HDMI cable (I will repeat some of those that have already been indicated so that you pay attention to them):
- Using adapters / converters, especially when displaying images from analog output (for example, VGA).
- Hardware specifics: For example, some of the integrated graphics cards still present on laptops have HDMI resolution limitations. over, some monitors may also have resolution restrictions for SEPARATE inputs (for example, everything works in full resolution via DisplayPort, and only in FullHD via HDMI). Study the specifications of both the video card and monitor carefully. In some cases, creating a custom permission in the application from the video card manufacturer works.
- Various image enhancement functions. Usually, they are a prerequisite for distortions on TV (especially when working with OS and texts), but they are also present on Some monitors: look at the settings.
- Bad or “not correct ”HDMI cable standard. To check, you can temporarily take such a cable from a second device (usually there are more than 1 of them in apartments today).
- “Matrix overclocking”. setting the screen refresh rate higher than that stated in the device specifications. Sometimes leads to the appearance of various stripes, dots and image artifacts.
- Rarely, but sometimes it makes sense to install a monitor driver if one is present on the manufacturer’s official website (for many monitor models, there are none and are NOT necessary).
- An even less common case is the need to update the monitor firmware: it is available only for SEVERAL expensive monitors. The update process is usually launched using special software from the manufacturer when the monitor is connected via USB. Before performing, I strongly recommend that you carefully read the manufacturer’s instructions on this topic.
Hopefully one of the suggested options will work in your situation. If you can share other cases when it was possible to fix the image quality over HDMI, I will be glad to hear from you.
This problem is the second most common and manifests itself at such times.
- Wire malfunction for various reasons, including mechanical properties. There may be a partial rush or other defects inside, so it does not transmit audio signal.
- An adapter was used, and not transmitting a stable audio signal due to poor manufacturing. cheap analogs sometimes do not have the contacts necessary for transmitting sound.
Outdated “wood” can be another prerequisite for the lack of sound through HDMI on the TV. You can find out if the drivers have been installed or updated on a laptop through a special system installed on any computer:
- Click on the “keyboard” at the same time Windows R in the line “Open” write devmgmt.Msc. OK;
- The dispatcher opens, at the top we find “View”. put a tick in front of “Show hidden devices”;
- We open the item “Sound, game and video devices”, when the computer’s audio card is in this list, this means. the drivers for HDMI are NOT included. we do, as shown in the photo, to activate them.
If there is one sound card in the registry, then it loads the drivers for the video card, taking the option we need to transmit sound to the connected TV. We go to the official sites of Intel Corporation or NVIDIA, download the latest version of the drivers for the video card, then install them on the laptop and activate them, while we will definitely turn on the manual setting mode and mark the HD audio driver among all the listed versions.
After installation, we restart the laptop so that the changes take effect, and we make a new connection of the computer to the TV.
Sound Output Setting
Using the remote control, we check whether the sound is really not output from the laptop: press the TV volume up button, but nothing happens. It is necessary to check the contact in the connectors. if everything is in order there, then the sound adjustment on each product is repeated.
The operating system (OS) Windows, when connecting any external device to the laptop, automatically detects that the sound is coming from this connected source. In some cases, the OS DOES NOT perform THESE actions, so you yourself can assign the TV as a playback device through which you need to transmit sound to it.
- They will name the speaker icon in the taskbar with the mouse and select the section shown in the photo;
- In the window that opens for the settings with a list of all connected devices, select the TVs included in the list, move the cursor and name the PKM;
- Mark the default use case;
- Save your actions. apply. ok.
Sometimes the playback devices have a TV connected. In this situation, press RMB here and activate the item “show devices”. This makes it possible to see the previously connected equipment, which means that if the TV is connected, but turned off by the program method, it will be displayed and it will be possible to turn it on.
In many cases, if the sound is NOT transmitted to the TV when using the HDMI connection, then after the manipulations the TV speakers will steadily reproduce the transmitted sound sequence.
Removing a sound card
The lack of audio signal may be caused by a sound card failure. Open the Device Manager and select “Sound, game and video devices”. Remove the existing equipment one by one. Next, we find the “update configurations” button or simply reboot the device. Deleted nodes will be automatically restored, and sound will appear along with them.
Why is there no sound on the TV when connecting a PC via HDMI
There are different types of connecting a stationary computer or laptop to a TV, the most progressive and easy to perform is to connect an HDMI cable to products. Some users complain that when household appliances are connected in this way, the sound is often not reproduced on the TV, although the cable was connected according to the instructions and in accordance with all the rules. Why there is no sound on the TV, despite the reliability of HDMI. consider further.
Laptop does not see TV
There are options when, when a computer is connected, TV is not displayed in the list of connected devices for audio transmission. It turns out that the laptop does not see its speakers, and, accordingly, there is sound on the TV. It is necessary to reboot the product and do not disconnect the cable. After the end of the process, the TV dynamics should appear in the list, only they can be inactive. How to make your TV active, we have already described above. repeat the settings, the TV acoustics will sound quality.
When the laptop has difficulty selecting the Priority connection, HDMI audio often does not work. Try to disconnect all devices from the PC except the TV. the situation should return to normal.
Checking the High Definition Audio Controller
If there is no sound with HDMI connection, and PC in the section “playback devices” does not display TV, then you should make sure that it is not disabled. To do this, you need to find a subsection with system devices in the device manager and in it they will call it “High Definition Audio controller”. Among the actions that can be performed with it is “turn on”. If the node is turned on, then you can try to turn it off, restart the PC and try to turn it on again. Also, it will not be superfluous to update the software of this equipment.
If the node is turned on, then you can try to turn it off, restart the PC and try to turn it on again
In the open device manager, you should also enter “sound, game and video devices”. There may be a similar controller from AMD or NVIDIA. If it is, then we repeat the above steps.
The last point, which will not be superfluous to check. “audio and video outputs”. The TV can be displayed here, in which case we try to turn it on or turn it off / restart the PC / turn it on.
If all of the above did not help, then in the control panel you should find the “troubleshooting” tab. This is a proprietary Microsoft utility that will help you get rid of crashes. A dialog box will appear, where the system will clarify the problem and suggest solutions.
It should be noted that the HDMI cable today is the most common and progressive method of connecting devices. In addition to a laptop and a computer, you can connect other devices with it. Learn more about how to connect DVD player, iPad and other tablets to your TV.