5 reasons why your laptop suddenly turns off (disconnected)
A laptop is the same thing as a computer, which also requires care and careful handling. If you have the slightest suspicion of a laptop breakdown, you must contact the service center, where specialists can diagnose.
A sudden shutdown (disconnection) of the laptop is a very unpleasant symptom and requires a quick response. In this article, we will look at the reasons for the accidental shutdown of the laptop. What can the laptop suddenly shut down??
Hello. Samsung laptop is far from new. But a month ago the hard drive and Windows were changed. A couple of weeks since the Internet is connected. When watching YouTube, it suddenly turned off and does not turn on. Before this week, how much warmed up. Apparently overheated. Overheating can break completely?
When playing Dota 2, the laptop is periodically disconnected. (For 40 minutes it turns off 2 or even 3 times). The air from the fan is slightly warm. There was such a problem after the “upgrade” (I replaced the HDD with an SSD and added 2GB of RAM, the cooling system was also cleaned, completely the entire laptop from dust and a new Windows 10 was installed). Please help find the problem. There was no such problem before
Once a laptop hp omen 15 while browsing the Internet went out and does not turn on what to do ?
The processor in the laptop is overheated
Overheating of the processor in laptops is the most common problem. Especially Acer laptops with an AMD processor suffer from it.
The BIOS has a protection that turns off or reboots the laptop if the maximum available temperature is exceeded, thanks to which the processors DO NOT burn out from overheating.
Intel’s new processors have their own overheating protection, which does NOT restart or shut down the laptop, but SIMply resets the frequency. This action is called throttling.
The temperature of the laptop can be checked in the Everest program, the Trial version can be downloaded from the link, and there you can also check whether the processor is throttling or not.
If the program shows a High temperature and your processor throttles, then you need to urgently clean the laptop, replace the thermal paste and check the cooling system
If, under load, cold air comes from the cooler and the temperature rises, then it is urgently necessary to change the cooling system. The pictures below show how to find out the temperature and throttling of the processor using the Everest program.
You can also use the AIDA64 program, you can download the test version “Here”
Hello, not long ago when I played games The laptop turned off when it was restarted it did not start just for a couple of seconds the power indicators were on and the battery then the power indicator started blinking for a long time in terms of the screen the hard drive did not work. On the Internet I looked it was written that it could be a short circuit and the charge controller failed or the standby voltages before that the laptop was warming up, I even thought that if overheating, then the system turned off itself so that it would NOT burn out, waited for it to cool down, but to the point comments, suggested that the chip and hard drive flew but they DO NOT react to starting the laptop rather the screen turned on and knocked out an error, but nothing here at all. I disassembled disconnected from the battery, pressed the power button for 20 seconds without a battery, then tried it straight to the wire, but the reaction was commentary, I removed the BIOS battery all the same comments, I looked at the board itself. Gorely everything is clean. Most likely voltage charge controller ?
Add comment Cancel reply
Hello laptop started shutting down after map update.
When starting the game, the laptop turns off completely after 1 minute.
An asus laptop suddenly turned off for the first time in attempts to turn it on DOES NOT respond to power DOES NOT come backlight on the keyboard works bought it recently in the service they turned it on and gave it back NOT doing anything
what to do?
Hello, I cleaned the beech from dust and generally removed the thermal paste, it was already like sand, after cleaning I collected everything without thermal paste, I turned on the laptop for verification, and after 5 minutes it started to turn off, could this be due to the lack of thermal paste?
The laptop shuts down due to heatstroke
Very often, overheating is a prerequisite for a laptop suddenly shutting down. You may have put the car on your lap or the soft surface of the sofa. The cooler, even when operating at full capacity, only pumps back hot air from the hardware. There is an emergency shutdown of the system in case of overheating. Sometimes before this the system starts to “slow down”, but if the machine is running slowly, then this sign may not be noticed.
A SIMilar situation can arise if the radiator is clogged with dust. Therefore, we recommend that you contact our center, where specialists will carry out all the necessary work to clean the machine and prepare it for further operation.
This is not a problem that can be solved by reinstalling the system. Naturally, you can keep the machine running for some time by minimizing running programs and applications. A special case is the situation when the laptop turns off during the game, as well as watching movies.
But this is a temporary solution. In total, cleaning will still have to be carried out, since, working even in the cleanest rooms, laptops inevitably become clogged. Please note that the cooler should spin quickly and easily.
The best option is to regularly clean the laptop at a service center, as well as use additional devices that increase the air conditioning of the system and improve air exchange.
If the problem is really related to overheating, then after cooling for a few minutes, the laptop can work again. By the next overheating.
Motherboard issues are also causing the laptop to shut down. What exactly could have happened:
- Capacitor burnt out;
- Crack due to falling laptop or impact;
- Physical deterioration
- Filling with liquid
It is impossible to independently establish and eliminate the cause in this case without special equipment. At the NotebookCenter service center, specialists will not only carry out accurate diagnostics, but also give qualified advice on further maintenance of the equipment.
Power supply problem
Power surges in the power supply can shut down the system. The elements of the block can wear out rather quickly due to frequent power surges in public networks.
Defect in BIOS
Quite a rare case, but it happens. The laptop shuts down due to BIOS errors. In this case, you should contact the service center to flash the BIOS. Since this defect is often factory-made, and if the machine is under warranty, you can try to contact directly the brand center where the laptop was purchased.
The laptop turns off. What to do?
Very often during operation, the laptop overloads or turns off by itself, and does not turn on immediately for a while. DO NOT get upset, this does NOT mean that your laptop is broken, this often happens if the processor or card overheats in the laptop.
Many users have faced this annoying problem. The laptop shuts down unexpectedly. And there seemed to be no threatening symptoms or prerequisites for this. Or were, but you did NOT pay attention to them.
Why does the laptop turn off by itself, without an appropriate command from the user? As a rule, these are emergency system actions, hardware malfunctions, or the operation of viruses.
Some signs of overheating:
- The laptop can go to sleep and wake up only through the restart button;
- The laptop turns off by itself, that is, without warning labels, and after an immediate restart attempt it does not turn on immediately;
- The car freezes, slows down, the panels heat up, the fan is loud and at the limit;
- Despite the maximum speed of the cooler, the temperature exceeds 90 degrees Celsius and approaches 120. In this case, the laptop overheats and turns off. You already know how to solve the problem.
The laptop will turn off if you interrupt the cable or if contact is lost. This is in the event that the laptop is powered by the network and the unit is not connected. It is worth checking the cord, the tightness and the position of the plugs.
Or maybe a virus?
May be. Some viruses force the machine to shutdown itself. Sometimes the cash antivirus cannot cope with this muck. Carry your laptop, clean it from viruses and put it in order.
Something happened to the RAM
Usually, in this case, the laptop takes a long time to load and works with regular freezes. Notebook Center specialists recommend changing the RAM. Do you want to do it without errors and with maximum effect on the speed of the machine? We will help. If the reason is really this.
How to check a laptop card for overheating
In a SIMilar way, you will need to carry out the next critical check. It is especially useful if the laptop turns off while playing. We will tell you what to do below, but for now. a little more about diagnostics. You can start it from the “Computer” section, referring to the item “Sensors”. In the new menu that opens, you will need an item called “Graphics Processor”.
Here, pay attention to the values displayed opposite the title. If the temperature exceeds 45-60 ° C, you should think about correcting the situation. Beforehand, we advise you to assess the condition of the components in stressful conditions.
This is done as follows:
- After opening the “Service” section, go to the “GPGPU Test” tab.
- Check the boxes in all the checkboxes next to the devices that you are going to diagnose.
- Click Start.
- As a result, in a few minutes you will receive the test results summarized in a table. Evaluate them yourself. or involve a familiar specialist in the case.
In some situations, it makes sense to perform NOT a partial, but a complete diagnosis of the equipment. This should be done only after you have passed the previous steps. Follow the SIMple instructions outlined below:
- Run the program again. or do not close if it is still open.
- To find the reasons why the laptop turns off by itself, in the “Service” section, click the new item: “System stability test”.
- Select the main investigated parameters with checkboxes: CPU, GPU, FPU, Cache, System memory, optionally. Local disk. They are responsible respectively for the processor, graphics adapter, cooler, cache, RAM and system disk.
- Start the process by clicking Start.
In total, the check will last from half an hour to an hour and a half. If the temperature threshold is exceeded during diagnostics, you will receive a corresponding system notification. It cannot be ruled out that the check will cause the next shutdown of the laptop. Upon completion of the study, you can save the report for later analysis.
Tip: Look for errors in the Windows event log
Quite often, you can determine the cause of the malfunction by looking at what recent problems were recorded by the operating system. A special magazine will help with this. You can access it as follows:
- Press the Windows key, then, without releasing it, use the second, R.
- When a new window appears, enter eventvwr in the line, and then immediately press Enter.
- In the next window, refer to the “System” subtab. Here, to facilitate the task, you need to filter the displayed data.
- To understand why the laptop turns off when turned on, indicate that you want to see all errors, and not excluding critical ones, by the last day.
- Study the list on the screen carefully: it will not only help you to set the time of each failure, but also get an extended description of the problem.
With this information at your disposal, you will be able to get recommendations on how to eliminate each of the identified shortcomings. and therefore, eliminate them.
How to check laptop processor overheating
The easiest way to make sure that this critical part of your laptop is okay is to use the AIDA64 utility. Download and install it in the usual way. then run and proceed with the steps:
- Open the “Sensors” tab. you can easily find it in the “Computer” section. See what values are displayed here for each of the available cores.
- Optimal operating values differ Not only for the most popular component manufacturers, Intel and AMD, but also for different models. In the most general case, for the first it is 40-45 ° C, for the second. 45-60 ° C. A slight excess on the condition of the machine does NOT negatively affect, but reaching the bar of 70-75 ° C and 80-100 ° C, respectively, already indicates that it is time to start acting. However, most likely, a complete failure will NOT happen: the equipment is programmed to automatically slow down, accompanied by a natural decrease in temperature indicators. Here is another answer to the question of why the laptop turns off during the game: the case is in the Central Bank.
- To proceed with the subsequent manipulations, look at the processor model. The easiest way to do this is to pay attention to the label placed on the body of your device. If there is nothing to disassemble there, open the section “Motherboard” in the same application. and then the subsection “Central Bank”.
- Next, you will need to start testing components for performance. You can carry out diagnostics in stress mode using the same utility: it provides the process that is as safe as possible for a laptop. First of all, open the “Service” menu, then click on the heading that suggests going to the stability test.
- In the new window, pay attention to the scale in which the temperature graph will be displayed as a continuous line. DO NOT switch from the first tab in a row. otherwise you will see other, and not relevant, characteristics. If a CPU Throttling notification appears on the screen some time after starting the test, indicating an emergency overheating, immediately Turn off the machine: you have definitely established that there are problems.
Other options presented in the testing window help to thoroughly understand, as a result of which the laptop spontaneously turns off. Please note: all available functions offer to start stress mode. during stress test, do not run any third-party processes on the laptop.
Here is a brief guide to checking the machine under stress conditions:
- Select, by checking the boxes in the checkboxes, all the options you are interested in, and then click “Start”.
- We also recommend that you set the time of the check yourself. Optimal. half an hour, with slight deviations in one direction or another.
- When the CPU Throttling notification appears, you can immediately stop the process: you have definitely established that there is a problem.
We strongly advise you not to carry out repairs on your own: the parts are small, need high-quality fastening, and the installation should be carried out in a room with a minimum amount of dust. If one of THESE conditions is violated, the device may require more expensive fixes.
It is worth performing the check described above regularly: this way you will be able to make sure that the laptop is in full working order.
Reason # 2: If the laptop shuts down without a charger
In such a situation, the prerequisite for the problem is NOT overheating of the components. although the coincidence of both factors cannot be ruled out. First of all, you need to see how the laptop works when connected to the network and on a “native” battery. If in the first case everything is fine, and in the second the laptop turns off, the most logical solution would be to replace the battery.
As a rule, this component quietly functions for 2-4 years, after which it ceases to provide the resource necessary for full-fledged work. The service life of the machine itself is much longer. you can use your laptop for several more years if you replace the battery.
Some of the most salient signs of a malfunction are:
- The OS incorrectly displays the remaining charge. For example, you see that the device can work for another half hour, and the shutdown occurs after a few minutes.
- The laptop stops working immediately after you unplug it from the power outlet. In this case, everything is very clear: the battery has completely lost its functionality.
- The machine turns on, but does not see its own battery at all. Consequently, you have to constantly keep the laptop connected to the network.
The easiest way out in all these cases is to replace the power supply. There is nothing fundamentally complicated in this. and repairing the battery will cost you approximately the same amount, and without any guarantees.
But before deciding that you understand exactly why the laptop turns off, check the condition of the power supply.
Typically, problems with a component fall into one of the following categories:
- Capacitive wear. During the first one and a half to two years, the capacity drops by 10-25; in subsequent years, the process is greatly accelerated, up to a complete loss of the initial parameters.
- Failure of the controller. In this case, the battery can be practically serviceable, but due to the impossibility for the system to “identify” it, it ceases to receive power supply. or, on the contrary, charges up to infinity, gradually becoming unusable.
- Physical or electrical damage to the item. In this situation, it stops working immediately, without any Preliminary problems.
To assess the state of the element you are going to change, use the same universal utility, AIDA64. You can find the necessary data on the “Power supply” tab. as you can see in the illustration, not only the current, but also the initial capacity will be given here.
As a rule, serious problems begin if the degree of loss of properties by the battery exceeds 20-30%. If the critical value is reached, you can immediately start replacing. with the next unplanned shutdown of the laptop, you will not see anything new.
Why the laptop turns off by itself: causes and solutions to laptop shutdown problems
With proper operation, the laptop will serve you for many years. without the need to remove firmware, reinstall the OS, and, even more, replace internal components. But sometimes even the most frugal owner can be puzzled by the problem: the laptop turns off by itself. The causes of this problem, as well as the ways to fix it, will be described in the next article.
So far, a few Preliminary remarks. You should start responding to a problem already at its first occurrence: spontaneous termination of a session is NOT included in the concept of normal computer functioning. Most likely, nothing terrible has happened to your laptop yet, and by following the steps listed below, you can easily return it to working condition. The sooner you start fixing problems, the better your chances of recovery. and vice versa.
The most common cause of detected deficiencies is overheating, which, due to the danger to the electronics, causes automatic interruption of operation. There are other circumstances that can cause the same effect; we will also list them below.
Note that the problem, which will be discussed in detail in the article, can affect the owner of any device: from Asus and Lenovo, to Samsung and HP. As a rule, the more powerful the car, the more it heats up during operation. which means that the owner of gaming laptops should not relax.
In addition to the main reason, spontaneous “overclocking” with a subsequent increase in temperature, it happens that the laptop turns off immediately after turning on due to the following circumstances:
- When using the device, you block the openings of the built-in radiator. Most often this happens when installed on soft surfaces: chairs, blankets, even “fluffy” tablecloths. As a result, for natural reasons, the circulation of air that cools the internal elements stops, and the latter overheat to a critical value. after which the machine turns off.
- You are using the laptop in extremely dusty rooms. Dust particles, attracted by a static charge, not only settle on the surface, but also penetrate into the interior of the case. Over time, an insulating layer forms there, preventing heat dissipation. The components overheat. and, in order to prevent the final failure of the machine, the OS initiates a shutdown. The situation is aggravated if the dust is not dry, but wet: then sticking occurs much faster.
- The cooler inside the device has failed, which is responsible for creating circulating air masses. It is quite natural that in such conditions overheating of components occurs. and as soon as the temperature reaches a critical level, the system shuts down. and you have to ponder why the laptop turns on and off immediately.
- You are operating the machine in extremely hot conditions. For example, it happens in the summer, at temperatures above 35-40 ° C. In such a situation, especially if a resource-demanding game or program is running, ordinary built-in cooling will not help. you will have to take additional measures to create a comfortable environment for the equipment.
There are other circumstances other than a rise in internal temperature. We will tell you more about them in the following sections of the article.
Reason # 1: Laptop components are overheating
Since a laptop is a closed system that needs forced cooling, a sensor is installed inside the body of any device that monitors the temperature. Without such monitoring, carried out at the hardware level, overheating will occur. and the motherboard, and after it, other components, will SIMply fail. Unfortunately, a system for alerting the user about malfunctions has not yet been developed. so the machine is forced to shut down when it reaches a certain temperature.
In the vast majority of cases, the reason for the spontaneous termination of the session is as follows. When the laptop is turned on, it immediately turns off due to shortcomings in the cooling system. from minor ones, like dust settling, to critical ones. Among other things, even serviceable equipment may not cope with increased loads, for which it is NOT designed by default.
So, additional factors that can provoke the automatic end of the session can be:
- Incorrect configuration of the case and heat removal system. In this case, nothing can be fixed: it remains only to thank the developer and think about the extended external cooling. otherwise your laptop will NOT last long. It even happens that very hot components are located by the manufacturer almost close to each other, and the cooling elements are placed on the outskirts and, in fact, do not bring any benefit.
- Incorrect installation of the cooling complex. The problem is almost inevitable if you tried to clean the case from dust on your own, successfully disassembled it, but couldn’t put it back together. In no case is it necessary to fasten the component parts to other places, install the cooler so that its normal rotation is impeded by other components. and, of course, it is inadmissible to fill the “fillings” with thermal paste. The latter is worth talking about in particular. an error can lead to the fact that the laptop starts up and immediately turns off. Always apply it in a thin layer, remember that the substance is needed to remove heat and not to create an insulating layer.
- Obvious malfunctions arising in the cooling complex. In particular, the cooler may fail or from time to time “slow down”, the heat-removing element may crack, the thermal pipes may break off. In all these cases, there is no longer any need to hope for effective heat dissipation. and ideally, you should immediately start troubleshooting.
- Attempts to overclock. A dangerous practice, in most cases leading NOT to the desired increase in the speed of work, but to almost instantaneous machine failure. Do not overclock in any case. it will be safer to purchase and install new compatible components.
- Load, not planned for the device you are using. A weak laptop can be used to work with text editors, listen to music, watchs on the Internet. but not for running the latest generation games or extremely resource-demanding engineering or design programs. You will most likely be able to open the application. but immediately after that, an uncontrolled rise in temperature inside the case will begin.
So, the laptop heats up and turns off, what should I do? In the article, we will give several effective tips, but for now. a few of the most characteristic signs of exceeding the permissible temperature level:
- The laptop works fine under normal conditions, but as soon as you start any “heavy” process, it automatically ends the session.
- Both the body of the machine and the air masses coming out are perceived by you as excessively hot. taking into account the natural heating of electrical engineering during operation.
- The case seems not just hot, but incandescent. while the air practically does NOT come out. Most often this happens due to the adhesion of dust or the overlap of the grill by some external object.
- The car is hot to the touch, but the air from the inside is normal, if not even low temperature. The point in such a situation is unequivocally in Incorrect installation of the cooling complex: you need to check it for serviceability and mount it properly.
- The cooler, located inside, periodically begins to “howl”, rattle, and sometimes completely stops rotation for a few moments. All these are signs of unstable equipment functioning.
- In search of an answer to why the laptop shuts down on its own, you ran one of the applications for assessing the condition of components (for example, AIDA64 or HWiNFO) and found that the temperature of the graphics adapter or processor exceeds 90-110 ° C. These are critical parameters indicating that that the car needs urgent diagnostics. Values acceptable for most laptops are shown in the following figure.
If the problem is recent, you will most likely only see one of the following: unstable machine operation. The main danger lies in the fact that hardware diagnostics does NOT concern all components. in particular, bridges are usually left without proper control.
It is easy to guess that exceeding the permissible indicators will sooner or later lead to adverse consequences. First of all, the components of the BGA “balls”, by means of which they are attached to the board, are gradually unsoldered, which leads to a power outage. If the process is completed quickly, the microcircuit will SIMply “fall off” from the carrier, which does NOT exclude the possibility of soldering. Unfortunately, the case is usually delayed, and this leads to the complete destruction of the chip, bridge, hub, and less often even the processor. In this case, one day you will see that the laptop has turned off and does not turn on. and you will definitely not be able to “cure” it with software.
Adapters are usually at risk, while central processors are more resistant to temperature increases. They have a built-in function of automatic braking when a critical value is reached. as a result of which free cooling occurs. Cards usually do not have this option, so they burn out first.
Will NOT be difficult and understand how you can eliminate the problem. It is necessary to eliminate the causes of overheating as soon as possible, and first, to normalize the operation of the cooling complex. The air outlet openings must be cleaned of dust particles, adhering dirt and other foreign objects.
Next, having disassembled the machine body, inspect the surfaces of the thermal pads. If the latter are dry, and even more so cracked, they must be replaced with new, smooth and elastic ones. After that, you need to replace the thermal paste, Using special compounds for laptops. the usual options, like KPT-8, in this case will NOT come in handy.
Unfortunately, in some cases, these measures are not sufficient. Having figured out why the laptop turns off by itself, and seeing that the cooling system is irrevocably damaged, you can only do one thing: completely replace it with a new one. However, if the problem is of a technical nature, but not critical (for example, the loop is gone), it can be eliminated without purchasing new components.
In the future, in order to avoid new excesses, it will not hurt to purchase a special stand with external cooling modules for the laptop. Coolers are driven most often by connecting to a machine port. you will need to keep at least one of them free.
There are more interesting situations. In particular, the machine can automatically interrupt the session while the internal temperature does not exceed the permissible values. The point here is solely in the sensor. in order to wean it from false positives, you need to reset the settings of the hardware-software link. We will describe below how this is done in practice. Another option is to update the firmware. However, in the latter case, another unexpected shutdown may occur, and then you will have to solve much more issues than it was before the start of the manipulations. In any case, we cannot exclude the possibility that the laptop turns off by itself without overheating. then replacing the thermal paste and gaskets will not guarantee a result.
How to clean a laptop from dust so that it does not turn off
Determining that your laptop needs cleaning is not difficult: the presence of dust particles will indicate this. The procedure is not complicated, but it requires certain technical skills. If you are sure that you can act on your own, prepare a screwdriver, brush and thermal paste in advance.
Ready? Let’s start cleaning:
- If the laptop shuts down spontaneously, unscrew the machine case to access the internal components. External cleaning will not give any result. it is necessary to thoroughly free the laptop from dust particles. Unscrew all screws holding the panel in sequence; it is highly desirable to fold them so that during assembly, each fastener is easy to “native” thread.
- Try to remove the cover protecting the accessories. If it doesn’t work, be sure to remove all screws. In some cases, it will not be possible to fully lift the panel. only partial disassembly is possible. Removed plastic parts Wipe or rinse under running water and then allow to dry.
- Having coped with the task, try to find a cooler (built-in fan) and a heatsink. a box with a grill, extending outside the case. Both of THESE items will also need to be cleaned using a mini fan or a can of compressed air. If neither of these comments, use a fluffy paint brush. Finally, you can purge the components yourself. During cleaning, be very careful not to break thin parts or “blow out” loose parts.
- Now the problem causing the automatic shutdown of the laptop has already been partially solved. Move on. Unscrew, using the same screwdriver or another, for precise work, the cooler. The latter must be carefully lifted, disconnected the current-carrying loop, and then, using a brush, carry out the final cleaning.
- Along the way, you can lubricate the rotating elements by dropping a little oil on them. Please note: this tool should not be abused, since, remaining on the surface, the sticky mass will accumulate new dust very effectively. After completing the operation, connect the cooler and put it back.
- Using a brush, remove the old thermal paste from the radiator; most likely, it will be a cracked dry layer. At the same time, you will get rid of dust and dirt accumulations.
- If possible, slightly lift or even completely Remove the motherboard. so that it is easier to remove dust particles from it. You need to act in the same order as described in the previous paragraphs. When finished, don’t forget to screw the board back in place. You can use NOT too powerful vacuum cleaner for blowing.
- Pull back the connector slightly to troubleshoot the next possible cause of the laptop shutting down. Remove the processor as gently as possible and clean all surfaces. As before, you can use a brush dipped in a liquid suitable for removing dust particles.
New layers of thermal paste should be applied especially carefully. Before applying, be sure to remove the remnants of the old substance, and then apply a new one as thin as possible. If the residue cannot be removed dry, wipe it off with a damp cloth. Never rush, not scratching surfaces. this is of fundamental importance.
Remember: thermal paste does not have to fill the entire free space. It is needed exclusively to normalize heat dissipation. if you overdo it, the excess will have to be removed. It is best to smear the applied layer with the stick supplied with the tube.
Reason # 4: Laptop power problem
The problem described in the article can occur even when the battery is completely “healthy”. The reason lies in the incorrectly set power supply parameters: they make autonomous operation completely impossible or significantly reduce its time.
Even insignificant at first glance, failures can provoke freezes, reboots and other unpleasant malfunctions. and in especially difficult cases, incorrect settings cause burnout of components. Ideally, special sensors should monitor the condition of the machine. but sometimes they make a mistake.
The most common factors causing a failure include:
- Malfunctions of the power supply, from capacitors to live parts, or the battery itself.
- Damage to the main board: from substrate and conductors to bridges and permanent memory.
- Unplanned BIOS Settings Changes.
- Other unforeseen circumstances.
Most clearly, the presence of a problem leading to the fact that the laptop turns off by itself is indicated by:
- Instant interruption of the session for completely incomprehensible reasons. You could play a game or do nothing at all. and after a few moments the machine is already inoperative.
- The impossibility of starting the first time after another failure. As a rule, in this case, the laptop almost immediately turns off again.
- Problems occur without reference to time and circumstances, while overheating is not observed.
- The inability to work equally effectively on battery and mains power. Usually, shutdown occurs after disconnecting the cord, but there are also opposite cases.
To eliminate defects in the operation of the machine, proceed as follows:
- Reset BIOS on next power up. This can be done by entering the appropriate menu and choosing among the sections (they can be called differently) the item in the name of which there are the words Load and Default.
- If the first method seems too confusing to you, proceed differently. Let’s disassemble the case, find a round shiny battery on it (perhaps, as in the illustration, it will be glued with tape) and either Remove it for 20-30 seconds, or, Using a slotted screwdriver, prohibit contacts for the same time. In both cases, the laptop must be turned off in advance.
- Among other things, if the laptop turns off by itself, and it does not hurt to connect a third-party monitor to the case. Then proceed as follows: disconnect all components from the main board and check if it will be possible to perform a normal start, connect each component in turn.
Note that in this case, attempts to obtain information using programs to monitor the parameters of the laptop will be ineffective. The signal coming from the sensors goes through several transformations by means of resistors, which greatly reduces the accuracy of the readings. You will receive the data. but, most likely, they will be incorrect.
Reason # 3: Motherboard is defective
It is likely that your device spontaneously interrupts due to the failure of internal components, in particular, the motherboard. It is through it that the voltage is transmitted to other components. and if the bearing surface or live parts are damaged, shutdowns can begin at any time.
Common factors leading to problems are:
- Ingress of liquids into the housing. Usually it is water, tea, coffee and other drinks.
- Incorrectly performed maintenance. The error could have been made both during disassembly and during assembly.
- Mechanical damage. You could drop the device, accidentally hit it, allow gravity to fall on the body. in all THESE cases, the result will be approximately the same.
In addition, the external connectors of the laptop must not be ignored: they, like the graphics adapter, can automatically terminate the session at the most inopportune moment.
It is quite difficult to diagnose on your own: you can cause even more damage to the board. When you turn off the laptop again, we advise you first of all to eliminate the overheating factor. and only then proceed to more delicate operations.
Why the laptop turns off (part 1 of 2)
Probably every user has come across the fact that his laptop turned off by itself, and this is a very bad sign, in this case, it is advisable NOT to postpone and DO NOT wait until something breaks, in most cases, this is due to the automatic activation of protection from overheating. And overheating, most often, occurs due to clogging of the cooling system with dust, which prevents air from passing through the radiator. Solving the problem of clogging the cooling system. Cleaning laptop cooling from dust. In the article we will take a closer look at all the main reasons and possible solutions to the problem.
Find out 3 reasons for shutting down your laptop and 4 solutions from a REAL Service specialist.
1 Reason. Dust clogged cooling system.
This is the most common reason, according to statistics, about 90% of cases.
Precautions: in most cases, to perform cleaning, a complete disassembly of the case with disconnection, keyboard, cables, the motherboard itself is required, so if you have not had any previous experience of such work, it is recommended to contact a specialist to avoid possible damage.
Each mobile computer is equipped with a cooling system consisting of a fan and a heatsink. The fan blows around the grill (i.e., the radiator), which, due to heat exchange, cools and transfers the cold to the processor through a copper tube.
The radiator consists of a large number of iron plates, close to each other for effective cooling, so dust gets stuck between them quickly enough, forming a felt, the thickness of which can reach 5. 10 mm in advanced cases,
1. When disconnected, no inscriptions are displayed, but the screen SIMply goes out without warning. The inscription may appear only when the operating system is included in the boot, and this is quite rare.
2. The temperature 15-30 seconds before shutdown is above 90C, the value is approximately in the range from 90C. 120C for most laptop computers, in other words, if before the screen went out, the readings were 60. 70C. the reason is most likely not overheated. It is also important to note that not all measurement programs show the readings of all sensors, at the time of this writing, the hwmonitor (Download) or hwinfo (Download) program showed quite complete information. It is advisable to catch the moment before the screen goes out, i.e. In about 15-30 seconds, measure the readings of the sensors, you need to look at the Max column (i.e. the maximum value for the period of the program operation).
In the image below, the interface of the hwmonitor application, opposite the Acpi label, indicates the chipset temperature (north or south bridge), core1 and core2 labels, etc. Processor heating readings, where the digit indicates the core number, and the inscription Gpu. Card readings.
3) The laptop turns off by itself and turns on only after a few minutes (i.e. it does not turn on right away), here it is almost unambiguous, we can talk about overheating, because The sensors record an increased temperature and DO NOT allow it to turn on until it cools down.
4) The laptop turns off in games after the movie, skype, photo applications, and other programs are launched, however, after loading. Windows installation can also be attributed to a SIMilar case, but stoppage during Windows installation or using resource-intensive programs may not always be caused by overheating.
The cooling system of a laptop is designed in such a way that even at 100% load, it must cope with the load assigned to it and work stably if there is dust inside and there is thermal paste on the chips.
If the device turns off while idle, it may be in sleep mode. If the timer is set, the device will go to sleep after the allotted time. You can understand that a laptop: HP, Dell, Acer, ASUS, Lenovo or another company. you can use the periodically blinking power indicator.
You can make edits to sleep mode like this:
- Click “WinR” and enter “powercfg.Cpl”
- Select the case option “Configure the transition to sleep mode”.
- Select the conditions you need. on laptops there is another parameter when working on battery power.
What you need Pay attention if the device is disconnected
If the laptop begins to turn off by itself, Analyze the main points that may be associated with a sudden breakdown.
Waking up the laptop
You can wake up the laptop from hibernation or sleep mode by pressing the “Power” button once. But there are times when the laptop turns on by itself. This behavior can occur when a system-scheduled update or network activity is installed. When these actions are completed, the laptop may “fall asleep” again.
Disabling the option is done like this:
- In the Power Options section, select Display Turn Off Setting and go to Change advanced power settings.
- Go down to the section “Sleep”. “Allow the wake-up timer”. put “Disable”.
- If you have an AMD system, check if your AMD Adaptive Sleep Service is enabled. If “YES”, it must be disabled.
- This is done in the “Services” program (WinR = services.Msc).
Why the laptop shuts down on its own while running without overheating: Hamster’s answer
Owners of portable equipment have repeatedly encountered laptop spontaneous shutdowns. There are many reasons for this. The article discusses the likely causes of spontaneous shutdown of the laptop and how to fix them.
- Reasons for shutting down a laptop properly
- Sleeping mode
- Waking up the laptop
- What you need to pay attention if the device is disconnected
- Overheating device
- Storage device
- Driver problems
- Searching for the reason in Event Viewer
Laptop and overheating are two words used interchangeably. Due to the compactness of the case, the CPU and graphics card DO NOT get good enough airflow. Passive heat dissipation also helps a lot. Because of this, devices with high heat generation quickly reach the maximum allowable temperature under load. and the built-in automation responds accordingly.
The temperature sensor constantly measures. at what stage of heating the device is. When raised, it speeds up the speed of the cooler, increasing the speed of air circulation. If this is not enough and the temperature continues to rise, during the critical point, the automation decides to abruptly turn off the laptop power in order to cool the device and prevent potential iron failure.
The same AIDA64 utility will help you find out the temperature of the device:
- Open the section “Computer”. “Sensors”.
- Study the information from the paragraph “temperature”.
- The perfect temperature for the processor and graphics card in a laptop can be considered as 40 ° C without load.
- Acceptable temperature of the Central Bank and GPU is considered. 50 degrees.
- Working can be considered. the range is 60. 85 ° С.
- Temperatures exceeding 95 ° C under load are considered undesirable or critical.
If at rest (computer resources are used to a minimum) you observe operating readings from 60 degrees and above, your gadget is probably overheating for the following reasons:
- Dust. after a year or two of using the gadget, dust enters the ventilation holes along with the drawn in cold air, settles on the radiator, interferes with air exchange. Because of this, the fan drives exhaust air in a circle, and not having normal access to cold air. As a result. high temperature inside the case.
- Incorrect operation. for the laptop to shut down, it is enough to block access to the air duct. This is done involuntarily if the device is placed on a sofa or other soft surface. Do not allow this and try to work with a laptop located on a table when working with resource-intensive tasks.
- Increased room temperature. if the room where the laptop is located, the temperature exceeds 40 ° C. this can be a catalyst for turning off the laptop after a while.
- Technical breakdown. If the fan starts to work at increased speed and dies down abruptly, or its hum is NOT audible at all, it is probably broken. At the same time, the temperature is constantly growing and the laptop reports this with various notifications, heating of the case and hard lags, followed by shutdown.
Disabling resource-intensive processes and lowering the power of the processor will help to temporarily lower the temperature:
- Click “WinI” and open the “System” section. Go to Power Sleep, open Advanced Power Options.
- Click on “Wiring Diagram Settings”.
- Next, the “Change” button.
- Reduce the “Maximum processor state” parameter to 80%.
Reasons for shutting down a laptop properly
If the gadget is technically sound, there are two possible reasons why it turns off:
- Overheat. A laptop is a fairly compact device that is not easy to cool down when running demanding tasks. If the cooling system does not cope, the device may be automatically triggered. and it suddenly turns off without warning. In such a scenario, the protective mechanism of the device can act, which saves the processor and other components from operational damage.
- Zero battery charge. If the device is disconnected from the 220V network, then it receives power from the battery. The laptop turns off due to a dead battery, but usually the operating system receives a notification about a low battery charge beforehand. However, the alert may NOT be displayed if all notifications and prompts have been disabled in the OS settings.
The battery is the first thing to pay attention to.
When the device was disconnected. was it plugged in or was it on battery power? If the problem appears when the laptop is running on battery, you should check it. The check can be carried out with various specialized software.
Battery problems are as follows:
- Depreciation. the active use of a laptop battery for 2-3 years leads to natural wear and tear and a decrease in capacity by 10-20%. This helps to reduce the battery life of the device.
- The battery charge controller is broken. If the controller is broken, the display of information in charges with the real value may differ. That is, more than half of the charge is displayed on the screen, and the laptop turns off by itself, without overheating, because the real value of the charge is close to zero.
- The battery itself broke. Due to physical damage or aggravated wear and tear, the battery becomes unusable.
To check the battery status Use the “AIDA64” utility. With its help, the degree of deterioration of the battery is assessed, you can compare the current state of affairs with the passport data. Wear of more than 25% can lead to periodic shutdown of the device if the charge remains less than 20%.
To view information:
- Run “Aida64”.
- Open the “Computer”. “Power supply” section.
- Pay attention to current capacity and wear rate.
ATTENTION! It is recommended to replace the battery with wear of more than 25% with a new one.
Spontaneous shutdown of the laptop with previous lags can be observed due to such problems with the drive:
- Freezes, lags, freezes and slowdowns of the entire device are noticeable when starting the Windows 10 operating system or writing files to the hard drive.
- The software stops responding to commands or starts completely.
- Grinding, clicks and other noise.
- Blue screen errors.
- The laptop abruptly goes to reboot or shutdown.
If these symptoms are visible, diagnose your gadget’s hard drive for performance and “health.” The utilities “CrystalDiskInfo” and “Hard Disk Sentinel” will help with this.
If NOT readable disk sectors (Bad) are found, they can be isolated from the main memory so that the disk does not access them. In this way, sometimes it is possible to save the disk and extend its “health” with a lifespan for some more time. The above utilities will help you to do this. If the disk is bad at all, then you will have to change it to a new one.
If the laptop has recently been paired with a new device, or you have reinstalled Windows 7, 8 (or an older version. for example, 10), there is a chance that errors will appear when you turn off the device. This happens due to incorrect operation of the drivers for the devices used in the laptop. What to do in this case:
- Click RMB on the “Start” button and call “Device Manager”.
- Make sure that all drivers are installed on the devices. there are icons with an exclamation mark.
- If necessary, update the driver to the latest version. then right-click and then select the option you want from the system suggested.
- Additionally, you can open Windows Event Viewer and view the history of driver errors that appeared on your computer.