4 ways to do a factory reset on Windows 10
Consider all possible ways to reset Windows 10 to factory settings.
As a result, an automatic reinstallation of the system will start.
Method 3. Reset using a bootable flash drive or disk
If for some reason you were unable to roll back to factory settings using the above methods, you can use a boot disk or flash drive.
The essence of this method is that you download the Windows 10 image to any other device and move the file with the ISO extension to a flash drive or disk.
If you already have a licensed disk with which you installed the OS on your computer, you can use it.
Note! The assemblies installed on your Windows 10 computer and the version stored on the drive must be identical. For example, you can download Windows 10 Professional to a USB flash drive only if the same system modification is installed on your computer.
Use the drive emulation program to create a bootable media.
Most popular utilities:
- Daemon Tools;
- Ultra ISO;
- Nero Burning ROM;
- Alcohol 120%;
- Gizmo Central and others.
All of the above programs have free versions, with which you can easily add the previously downloaded OS image to the disk and make it bootable.
Also, in the BIOS settings, specify a new boot queue for computer components.
In the first place should not be the OS, but your drive. After making changes to this queue, turn off the PC, connect the disk / flash drive to it and press the “Power” button again.
The system installation window will appear, in the lower left part of which you need to select the “Recovery” field:
As a result, you will be redirected to the Select Action window. Click on the “Troubleshooting” tile.
In the new window, click on “Diagnostics”. Select the Reset tile and wait for the reset to complete.
Also, you can start reinstalling the system, for this, in the window shown in the picture above, click on the “Install” button and in the new window select whether to save user files or not.
This method of resetting to factory settings will be effective if you cannot start the OS due to a fatal error or due to the operation of virus software.
When is it recommended to do a system reset?
A factory reset (or Hard Reset) is a procedure to return to factory settings. All options and settings will be returned to their original values.
There are two types of reset in Windows 10:
With the preservation of user files. After the reset, you will receive a completely new system, in which only standard applications for building will be installed. All parameters will be reset, but files and folders with photos, videos, documents will not be deleted;
Complete deletion of all data. As a result, you will receive a copy of the OS, which is identical with the freshly installed “clean” Windows. You will need to perform a basic setup (specify the region, date, time, log into your account or create a new one).
Rollback to the original settings should be done if your computer starts to slow down, programs take too long to load, or the system boots for more than a few minutes.
- All unnecessary programs and processes will be removed;
- Erroneous settings and temporary files that “clutter up the system” will disappear. Instead, the correct parameters will be set to ensure the normal operation of the OS;
- Viruses, advertisements and other malicious applications are removed.
If you encounter viruses, it is recommended to perform a reset without saving user information. Otherwise, a process may remain in the system that starts the work of the “pest”.
Method 1. Reset from Windows 10 already installed
Note, if you have upgraded to Windows 10 from the seventh or eighth version of the OS, within 31 days you can return the previous system and stop using dozens.
To do this, go to the “Options” window (keyboard shortcut WinI) and select the “Update and Security” tile.
In the new window, click on the “Recovery” section. The field “Return to” will appear in the right part of the window.
Click on “Start” and wait until the computer is turned on again with the returned old version of the system. User files, programs and settings will not be saved.
If the deadline for returning to the old version of the OS has passed or you want to get Windows 10 reset to factory settings, in the “Reset the computer to its original state” field, click on the “Start” button.
In this reset option, you will be able to save all user data.
Only settings and installed applications will be removed.
The look and feel of your desktop and all your folders on your hard drive will remain intact.
Click on the “Reset” button after a new window appears with a message about readiness to return to its original state:
Next, the computer will restart and on the screen you will see the progress bar for resetting the settings.
The system may reboot several times, and as a result, you will receive a “clean” version of the OS, which needs to be configured again:
- Set the parameters of your location;
- Enter the network password of the router;
- Sign in to your Microsoft account.
Method 4. instructions for laptops
On all laptops, the developer provides a quick recovery option.
To do this, a special section is allocated on the hard disk of the system for the factory copy of the OS.
If you have formatted the HDD, you will not be able to rollback using this method.
Do you have a separate disc called Recovery on your computer? In this case, you can start with the new system. This version of Windows 10 will retain all the programs and settings that the manufacturer installed.
The way to run the reset utility varies.
It all depends on the brand of your laptop:
- HP. immediately after pressing the “Power” key, click on F Instead of the Windows 10 icon, a window for enabling the recovery service will appear. Follow the instructions to roll back your existing OS to its original state;
- ASUS. press F9 to start working with the Recovery Manager utility window. Next, select “Reset the current version of Windows” and wait for the process to complete. After the automatic restart of the computer, you will start using the “clean” firmware;
- Samsung. Click on F4 while turning on the computer. Then select “Reset OS to factory version”;
- Acer and Lenovo. press the AltF key combination Acer notebooks will require an access password. By default, these are six zeros. 000000. Also, the built-in recovery utility can be run in the Windows environment. If it was not possible to start the software during the startup process, find the Recovery icon in the list of all installed programs and open the utility.
Go to the system menu by pressing the ESC key after turning on (also, for your laptop model, your own way of starting BIOS can be determined. The floating line at the bottom of the power-on screen will tell you how to do this).
In BIOS, open the “Boot” tab and deactivate the “Boot Booster” option, as shown in the picture below:
After performing a reset, we recommend activating this option back so that the OS turns on faster.
Method 2. Using the Windows Refresh Tool
Refresh Windows Tool is a built-in utility to perform automatic reinstallation of Windows 10.
The service is available for assemblies released after August 2016.
If you are using an old version of Windows 10, we recommend that you first update the system in the Settings window and then start using the service.
Follow the instructions to launch the Refresh Tool:
- Open the system parameters window using the WinI keys;
- Then click on “Restore”;
- In the right part of the window, find “Advanced options” and click on the line “Learn how to start over”;
- Next, you will be redirected to the Microsoft website with detailed instructions on how to perform a clean install of Windows 10. Click on the hyperlink titled “Download the tool now”;
- Run the downloaded file and in the window that appears, check the box “I accept the agreement”;
- Next, specify whether you want to save your files and personal data.
Follow all the instructions that will appear in the utility window.
Once the installation process is complete, you should be able to start using the clean OS version.
All parameters and settings will be returned to their original state.
We recommend deleting possible temporary files using the hard disk properties window.
Note! The system rollback process can take a long time. It all depends on the number of files to be deleted and the current OS settings.
As you can see, you can easily reset Windows 10 to factory settings using the system already turned on.
If you encounter OS startup errors or a virus operation, use a boot disk or a distribution kit with a system image.
Calling up the diagnostic window will help not only find and fix errors, but also roll back to the original OS version.
contacts / jumper
In general, it is unrealistic to give a universal advice for each laptop model! In the article below, I will disassemble a typical Acer laptop and show, using it as an example, how you can reset the BIOS.
In principle, the key difference can only be how to disassemble the laptop, and where the jumper and battery will be located on the mat. board.
1) First, turn off the laptop and disconnect all cords from it: power, network, mouse, etc.
2) Turn it over and remove the protective covers: from the RAM, hard drive. Also remove the battery (see photo below).
By the way, pay attention to the fact that the battery on laptops is usually held and fixed by a pair of latches. To remove the battery, simply slide them apart.
3) Next, remove the strips of RAM and the hard drive (because usually, under them or next to them, there will be the cherished contacts or a jumper). Usually, the contacts to be closed are signed like JCMOS (or Clear CMOS or something like that).
Note! Before removing the RAM on the laptop, open the “antennae” that fix the planks. Many do not know this and are in a hurry to remove the bar.
4) Next, close these contacts with a screwdriver or tweezers (as in my example). It will take about 15-30 seconds. time.
Note! If you closed the contacts, and then collected everything and the BIOS did not reset, you need to do the following.
Close the contacts and do not release them: connect the power cord to the laptop in parallel and turn it on (for 20-30 seconds). Then turn off and open the contacts.
5) Next, connect the hard drive, RAM, install the protective caps, connect the cords and turn on the laptop. BIOS should have reset (reset to zero).
Using a jumper on the motherboard
Usually, by default, it is in 1-2 mode. To reset the settings. put the jumper in 2-3 mode for a couple of minutes (see photo below).
Important! This operation must be done with the computer completely turned off (you must also disconnect all connections from the system unit from the system unit).!
Note: The jumper can be named differently. For example, CLRMOS1 (as in the photo below), CLRTC, Clear CMOS, CCMOS, Clear RTC, CRTC
The photo shows a jumper used to reset BIOS settings.
If there is no jumper
Some motherboards may not have a jumper at all. But then, usually, there is either a special button for resetting parameters (called CLR CMOS), or there are two special ones. contacts that must be closed with a screwdriver (or any other metal conductor; there are contacts near the Clear CMOS inscription).
Important! Close the contacts or press the CLR CMOS button when the PC is completely off (and the power cord is unplugged)!
The photo shows what the CLR CMOS button looks like on the mat. PC board
If you still have documentation for your PC / laptop, it almost always contains this information (look for the BIOS Setup section). Perhaps, only cheap Chinese devices may not have this information.
Reset password and BIOS settings on laptops
In principle, all of the above is also true for laptops, albeit with some reservations.
Firstly, the laptop is not so easy to disassemble, especially some models (but often the necessary reset jumpers are located under the cover that protects the RAM, which can be easily opened from the back of the laptop).
Secondly, after removing the battery, the laptop does not always “forget” the old passwords (some models have one more non-volatile memory, which, in principle, cannot be turned off by usual methods). In some cases, you cannot do without a service center.
The photo below shows the message that appears on the laptop after turning on. The laptop will not turn on without entering the password.
Using a battery on the mat. board
A little higher, when it came to the jumper, I mentioned that the easiest way to find it is by the battery. It resembles an ordinary coin (in size, except 2-3 times thicker), on which, usually, you can see the word “battery”.
As a rule, it is light and iridescent, when you look at the motherboard from above. it immediately catches your eye.
So, thanks to this battery, when you turn off the computer, it still remembers the settings in the BIOS, knows the time, year, month, etc. Those. all this happens and is saved thanks to this small battery. it provides independent power.
As a rule, its energy is enough for 10-15 years of PC operation (sometimes even more). Thus, changing it while using the computer is practically unnecessary (in 10-15 years your PC becomes morally obsolete, and you change it to a newer one).
To reset the BIOS settings, you can simply remove this battery and wait 15-20 minutes (preferably half an hour for reliability). Here is such a simple and quick way!
The photo below shows 2 examples of what this battery looks like on a mat. board.
Please note that the date and time, and other settings that you will need to set after turning on the PC will be reset
It is necessary to remove the battery with the PC completely turned off and disconnected from the power supply.
How to reset BIOS settings (password reset) on laptop and PC
Such a question is not uncommon, quite often inexperienced users, having changed any parameters in the BIOS, are faced with a “problem” PC operation, and the need to return everything to its previous state.
In some cases, resetting the settings to the factory defaults is quite simple, in others (when, for example, a password for entering the BIOS / UEFI is set), it is very difficult to do this!
In this article I will try to consider several typical cases for solving a similar problem.
In general, you most often have to reset BIOS settings in the following cases:
- if the computer has stopped working stably, and the nature of the reason is not clear;
- if you cannot enter the BIOS, as it asks for the super-administrator password;
- if Windows does not boot (often after setting up the boot queue);
- if you were overclocking the processor and want to return the frequencies to optimal and safe.
1) By analogy with the previous method: unplug the laptop, unplug all cords, and turn the laptop over. Remove the battery, protective caps.
Then you should see (or not see. depending on the configuration of your laptop) a small round battery (in the photo below it is shown with a green arrow).
2) Carefully remove it with a small straight screwdriver. Wait 15-20 minutes, then put it in place and assemble the laptop.
3) Turn on and check. In 98% of cases, the BIOS will be reset!
By the way, in some cases, to get to the battery, you have to completely disassemble the laptop.
In general, there is nothing complicated in this, but this operation requires great accuracy, since many thin wires that can be easily damaged.
For example, the photo below shows an ACER laptop, the battery for resetting the password is located under the keyboard.
Using the BIOS menu itself (Load Defaults)
The easiest and fastest way to reset BIOS settings is to use a special menu in the settings, usually called as “Load Defaults”.
This menu is available in absolutely all BIOS versions, most often in the Exit section. I will consider how it is done in steps.
How to reset monitor settings
It happens that due to an error in the system, or careless assignment of parameters in the settings, or the activity of a virus, the monitor settings or generally displaying the picture on the screen are reset, so much so that it becomes very difficult or even impossible to work on the computer.
How to reset the settings on the monitor
For a complete “rollback” of the monitor settings, you will need to perform several actions in order.
- Log into the system as an administrator so that there are no problems with editing the system state.
- Select the “Start” menu, then click “Control Panel”, and then select “Device Manager”. In some versions of Windows, to get into this menu, you need to select the “Hardware and Sound” item, and only then it will be possible to open the manager.
- Having opened the list related to video cards (video adapters), check for the presence in the list of the device that is currently installed in the system unit of the computer. If it is not there, or there are exclamation or question marks next to the name, then you need to update the device drivers by downloading them from the manufacturer’s official website. If there are no such problems, then you can move on.
- In an empty space of the desktop, you need to right-click and select “Screen Resolution”. After that, in the window that opens, click on “Additional parameters”.
- A menu will appear where you need to go to the “Diagnostics” tab and click the “Change parameters” button. If this button is not available, that is, the device driver does not allow diagnostics, then you need to return to the first tab and select one of the modes manually from the list by calling it with the appropriate item.
- The picture settings will be switched to another profile and the data will be reset. You can roll back the changes if the result does not suit the user. for this, after switching to a new style, the question of saving the changes arises.
REFERENCE: some users on the forums suggest resetting the monitor settings through the BIOS menu. In any system, this will not work, you should not even try.
Factory default settings. what they are?
Failure of settings manifests itself in different ways: familiar objects can become either too large or too small, the color palette changes, or the brightness drops. The cause of the problem can be not only a change in the actual settings, but also simply incorrect operation of the video card.
As a rule, the factory settings of the monitor are reduced to the average parameters of all its characteristics. For example, if the brightness levels of the screen are determined on a scale from 0 to 100, then the default will be 50. However, if any special functions have on / off parameters, then they will most likely be enabled. So, on some LCD TVs or DVD-players, subtitles are automatically turned on (if they are present in the video you are watching).
How to reset a laptop
If the laptop is running on Windows, then you can reset the settings using the following algorithm:
Backup on Android
- Open “Settings”.
- Go to “System”, select “Backup”.
- Select “Create a backup”.
This will keep the data in your Google profile.
Important: Beginning with Android 5.1, you should log out from all Google accounts, because due to the updated security policy, before turning on the device, you will have to log in to one of the accounts that were enabled on the tablet before it was reset. And if the login and password are forgotten, then you need to contact a specialized SC (service center) with documents confirming the purchase.
If the tablet or smartphone is not reset due to the presence of a virus, then it is advisable to also make a backup.
Remove the memory card
It is advisable to remove the micro-SD flash drive before doing a reset on the tablet. Sometimes unexpected failures can occur that are capable of formatting even external storage devices.
It is imperative to remove the card when using the Recovery menu, since the software formats all connected media.
Huawei tablets can be reset in three ways: through the menu, as well as by pressing 2 or 3 keys. The first 2 methods are listed in the table above.
The algorithm for the unique “three-button” method is as follows:
- Simultaneously hold down the “On” button and both volume keys.
- Hold until the HUAWEI logo appears, then remove your finger from ON.
- Without releasing the sound key, wait for the restart.
Then the device will reboot, formatting all personal data.
How to reset your tablet. 3 step instructions for 6 popular brands
Cleaning the tablet from user data and setting the factory settings is needed when selling or when the system is rolled back. After this operation, the device will not have a single bit of data from the previous owner. How to Hard Reset on a Tablet. Below.
Things to do before factory reset
The process cannot be reversed. even at the service center, only part of the data will be returned. Content, app history and even biometrics are removed. Therefore, before you reset the tablet to factory settings, it is worth conducting preliminary preparation by uploading key data to third-party resources.
Upload all data
Before dropping the tablet to factory settings, you need to upload documents, photos and other content to external resources like a micro-SD flash drive or “cloud”. it depends on the device and the amount of material. For example, iOS devices simply do not have a card slot. information needs to be transferred to iCloud. But Android owners already have a choice of where to store their data.
There is no complete recovery tool in this operating system. You can try using a restore point. But the likelihood that it was created at the very beginning of using the laptop and has survived to this day is extremely small. You can check it like this:
- Open the Start menu, type “Recovery” in the search bar. There is a “System Restore” program. Run it.
- Click “Next”, then select an available point in the list. In the Date and Time column, you can see when it was created. If there is not the same date when you bought the computer, there is no point in using it.
- And if you are lucky and the point is really old, select it, click “Next”, “Next” again, then “Finish” and in the window that appears “Yes”.
If the instructions above are not relevant for you, you will have to use the recovery utility provided by the manufacturer. If you have the disc that came with the laptop when you bought it, that’s great! Then just insert the disc into the drive and follow the instructions on the screen.
If the OS does not boot normally, you will have to set the computer to boot from the disk through the BIOS.
But if there was no disk, that’s okay. This is a common case. Then you can use the built-in reset tool. Next, we will analyze how this is done on different laptop models. They can be used on Windows 7, 8 and 10.
It was the turn of the South Korean manufacturer and the answer to the question of how to return a Samsung laptop to factory settings.
Windows 8 and 8.1
It already has its own reset facility. The process of using it looks like this:
- Swipe down on the right side of the screen. A panel will open in which you will need to select “Options”.
- At the bottom there will be an inscription “Changing computer settings”. Click on it now.
- In Windows 8, you just need to go to the “General” section, in 8.1 you will need to additionally open the “Update and Recovery” section.
- In the window that opens, select “Recovery” on the left panel.
- First try performing “Non-Deleting Recovery”, then, if it does not help, “Deleting All Data”
After choosing a method, you just have to follow the instructions on the screen.
Acer and Asus
On these laptops, the procedure is the same, only the launch of the utility is different:
- Reboot your laptop. If you have Acer, press “AltF10” at the same time, and if Asus. “F9”.
- Then click “Diagnostics”.
- Then click “Only the disk where Windows is installed.” If rollback does not help, do the same, but at this stage select “All disks”.
- Again, then first you should try to select “Just delete my files”, and if it does not help, “Completely clean the disk”.
Factory Reset Samsung Laptop:
- Press the F 4 key while turning on the computer.
- Accept the license agreement and go to the “Recovery” section.
- Run Full Recovery.
- Specify breakpoint (earliest by date, with factory settings).
- Start the rollback procedure and wait for it to finish.
You figured out how to reset a Samsung laptop to factory settings, so you can forget about the need to reinstall the system.
It’s the turn of the next manufacturer: let’s see how to return an HP laptop to factory settings.
While the device is booting, press the F4 button several times. Alternatively, find the preinstalled Recovery Solution utility in the list of programs.
After starting the utility, select the “Recovery” option, then “Full recovery”. Then you need to select a resume point. the state to which you plan to return the computer.
For factory settings, this is the “Computer Initial Status” item. Agree with the utility’s suggestion to restart the device. Then follow its instructions until the parameters are fully restored. Restart the device again to complete the rollback process.
Here, too, you can do everything without the manufacturer’s utilities:
- In the “Start” menu, select “Settings” (in the form of a gear, there is a shortcut on the left).
- Go to the Update & Security section.
- On the left panel, select “Recovery”.
- Under the inscription “Return the computer to its original state” click “Start”.
Now you know how to restore factory settings on a laptop. If you have any questions, write them in the comments below.
Resetting settings using the menu
The easiest way is to use the Settings menu. It is enough to go to it and select the appropriate section. By clicking “Reset settings”, the phone will do everything by itself.
However, most often this need arises in cases where there is no access to the menu. For example, the device is frozen and does not show signs of life, does not respond to commands. In such a situation, there is no choice but to use the instructions below.
When you need a full factory reset?
There are several reasons when a lenovo hard reset is needed. For example, if a decision was made to sell a smartphone. In this case, it should be prepared, get rid of applications and programs that were installed during operation. Often, users are faced with situations when the phone starts to slow down, and by rebooting it is not possible to achieve the desired effect. It happens that the display is locked with a graphic key, and the code required for unlocking is lost. The situations described require a full reset to return to factory settings.
Before deciding on such a step, you should know how to hard reset on lenovo, and also remember that all current data from the device’s memory, including the phone book, will be lost. Therefore, it is recommended to rewrite important numbers and information in advance or copy them to a memory card.
Factory reset the harder way
To perform a hard reset on Lenovo, you must perform the following sequence of steps:
At the same time, the “Power” key is pressed, as well as the volume control (immediately “up” and “down”). They are held until the Recovery menu opens on the display.
When you use the button for adjusting the volume level, you switch to the wipe data / factory reset option. To confirm your own choice, use the “Power” key.
After that, a window will appear on the screen where the line Yes. delete all user data is selected. This confirms a hard reset to factory default.
After the lenovo hard reset is carried out, the smartphone reboots. There are some models in which automatic reboot is not provided. In this case, you will have to commit it forcibly.
After turning on the device, the settings will already be reset. As a result, the user will receive a “clean” smartphone as it was immediately after purchase. In this case, braking and other malfunctions should disappear. If this does not happen, you will have to contact the service center so that the specialists carefully examine the device. It is possible that the hardware is not the reason. The possibility of failure of one of the internal elements cannot be ruled out. If so, you cannot do without replacing it.