How to hack Wi-Fi from a phone?
The use of the program does not cause problems, since most of the processes in it are automated. If it is impossible to install the above utility, it is recommended to find and install “Linux Deploy” in the market, the menu of which is also not difficult.
Despite the ease of installation of these tools, they are advanced cracker tools that even a novice hacker can figure out.
Advanced users often use Wi-Finspect for hacking. It allows you to display detailed information about the modes of operation of the detected networks. The program is also freely distributed, but some of its functions require root to work.
If you have ROOT authority, you can also use the powerful WI-FI Analyzer tool. It successfully copes not only with Wi-Fi networks at a frequency of 2.4 GHz, but also 5 GHz.
Owners of phones from “Apple” can successfully hack neighboring Wi-Fi by installing “Airslax” or “Aircrack-ng”.
Punishment for hacking networks
The punishment for the 273rd will follow in the case of writing applications that have the purpose of erasing (encrypting, blocking, changing, copying) information or when using and distributing such utilities.
If the hacker used access to the global network for a long time and the victim suffered damage of more than 250,000 rubles. when paying for the traffic downloaded by the cracker, the attacker will be punished by Art. 165 (Causing property damage to the owner).
Solving the password using the PIN code of the device
To guess the password for a WPA / WPA2 protected Wi-Fi network, you will need:
- PC with Wi-Fi adapter (almost all laptops and netbooks already have built-in modules);
- USB flash drive not less than 2 Gb;
- Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor for Windows.
It is recommended to perform the basic operations in the Linux environment, although it is possible to execute the plan through the Windows OS, but in Linux everything is much easier. It is necessary to format the USB flash drive and save the “WI-FI Slax” package on it.
Wi-Fi-Slax is launched directly from external media, just expand the contents of the “boot” directory and click on “Wi-Fislax Boot Installer”. Next, specify the s parameter and click “Enter”. Then start the PC from the created flash drive and perform the following sequential steps:
- Specify boot with SMP kernel and Wi-Fislax with KDE with corrections;
- After the download is complete, it is recommended to change the laptop’s MAC by running “ifconfig wlan0 down” in the console;
- Now open the Macchanger application;
- Click “Change MAC”;
- Exit the utility and execute “ifconfig wlan0 up;
- Open the “minidwep-gtk” utility;
- Click “Scan”;
- If among the points found there are WPS support, then they are the easiest and fastest to hack.
- Newbie hackers are advised to hack points with active WPS and only after gaining experience proceed to complex tasks. Highlight the point and click “Reaver”;
- Click “ok”;
- The utility will show the password;
- If the attack was unsuccessful due to WPS blocking, then the packet recorded on the USB-drive contains means for bypassing it;
- If no points with WPS are found, then it is very easy to guess the password when at least one PC or mobile gadget is already connected to the network. After waiting for someone (victim) to connect to Wi-Fi. You should select it and click “Attack”;
- The wireless module built into the laptop will generate interference and the “victim” will be disconnected from the Wi-Fi;
- Of course, the victim will predictably make an attempt to reconnect, and this will result in a “Handshake” of the victim’s device with a router with data exchange that is easily intercepted. The captured information is saved as files;
- Next, you should write the files to the laptop’s memory and restart;
- Start Windows in a laptop;
- The copied files have an encrypted Wi-Fi access code. To view it, you need to install the Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor utility;
- Click import data. TCPDUMP;
- After that, with one finger, click on “Ctrl” and, without releasing it, click on the button with the English letter “I”;
- Specify copied files;
- Click “Run”;
Note: WPS is an encryption technology vulnerability. The connection is made using a PIN code. For example, a PIN can contain eight characters, that is, after going through about one hundred million PIN-code variants, hacking a Wi-Fi network will be successful. The disadvantage of this technology is that it is allowed to divide the PIN into a couple of parts. As a result, it is required to analyze parts of a maximum of four characters, and this reduces the number of options by several orders of magnitude (up to 10 thousand).
We connect to an open WI-FI network with filtering by mac-address
Some users have high hopes for ensuring the security of their network by filtering by MAC address, however, in practice, even a novice hacker bypasses such protection faster than the owner of the router enters the device’s web configurator with administrator rights.
The procedure for changing the MAC of a wireless adapter in Linux takes only a few seconds, for example, with the command “ifconfig wlan0 down”. Also, the “Macchanger” utility allows you to automatically assign random MACs, as a result, even a technically advanced network owner will be confused. And if the victim uses a whitelist, the “Airodump-ng” application helps to determine the loyal address. The utility displays the allowed MACs in the “STATION” column.
Note: You can also detect a valid MAC using Brute force, which was already mentioned at the beginning of this article.
The mdk3 application in brute force mode is also capable of picking up the MAC. The main advantage of the utility is the ability to detect MAC even in the absence of devices connected to the wireless router. For example, you can use the command: mdk3 wlan0 f.t 20: 25: 64: 16: 58: 8C.m 00:12:34.
We select the password for wi-fi manually
Often, the owners of routers put access codes that are easy to remember, for example, consisting of seven or eight identical numbers or symbols, or simply enter “12345678” or “QWERTY”, for example, the most popular WI-FI passwords in Russia and the world. Obviously, such passwords can be easily picked even manually, and special applications can cope with them in a matter of minutes.
Also, many users fell in love with the “Phishing” method. The method is based on the manipulations of a cracker, forcing the owner of the Wi-Fi network to give out the name and password himself.
Hackers widely use the “Interception” method, in which a request is sent to connect to a router from a smartphone or laptop. A router with a hacker’s mobile gadget exchanges data (“Handshake” process), which contains an encrypted password.
To decrypt the received code, special applications or services are used.
Next, we will take a closer look at the topic of how to crack a Wi-Fi password, using various methods and utilities intended for these purposes.
For the most popular platform in the world, the largest number of cracking apps released.
Wi-Ficrack. Works almost completely automatically. The selection technique is used.
- Run “Wi-FiCrack.exe”;
- Mark the network;
- Click “Next”;
- Activate the database with passwords and click “Start”;
- Now the application directory contains the file “Good.txt”, which displays the password and login.
Kali Linux. Steps:
- Install Kali Linux in a Vmware virtual machine;
- Run the program and select “Live”;
- Enter “iwconfig”;
- Write the displayed name of the interface on a sheet of paper;
- Run “airmon-ng start wlan0”;
- Then “airodump-ng mon0”;
- Click “ctrl c”;
- Enter “wash.i mon0 –C”;
- Indicate Wi-Fi with WPS;
- Enter “reaver.i mon0.b (the name that was written earlier on a piece of paper).a –vv”;
- Login and code will appear on the monitor.
Protecting your WI-FI network from hacking
The more steps of protection you provide, the longer and more difficult it will be to hack your network, and a newbie hacker may completely abandon the idea. Therefore, it is recommended to use all the recommendations below, without missing a single.
Set the password to enter the router’s web configurator
- In the web interface of the router, open the “System Tools” tab.
- Then enter the subsection “Password” and set a secure access code. Be sure to click “Save” upon completion.
- Set Wi-Fi access code.
- Enter the “Wireless” tab and then go to the “Wireless Security” subsection. Set the type of encryption “WPA / WPA2” and show your imagination to set a complex password.
- Save the entered parameters and restart the router.
- Hide wi-fi name
- Reopen the “Wireless” tab. Uncheck the box “Enable SSID Broadcast”.
- Click “Save”.
Activate MAC filtering
Determine the MAC devices that will be allowed to connect to Wi-Fi (for example, you can see the address of the smartphone in the “About phone” settings section). Then open the subsection “Wireless MAC Filtering” in the “Wireless” tab.
- Click “Enable” and activate the column “Allow the stations specified by any enabled entries in the list to access”.
- Then click “Add New”.
- Specify MAC with allowed status.
- Click “Save”.
- Disable QSS (WPS).
- Open the “WPS” tab (in some interfaces of router models it is called “QSS”). Click “Disable WPS”.
- Restart router.
Hacking WI-FI: Programs and Applications
Many utilities have been developed for hacking Wi-Fi networks. Some of them may seem too simple to use, but that doesn’t diminish their effectiveness. Applications are released for all existing platforms, below we will consider the most popular of them.
How to turn on Wi-Fi on a laptop?
Many people already use the wireless network, because it is convenient, especially if you have such autonomous devices as a laptop, tablet and smartphone at home. And if you are already among those who have purchased and connected the router, all you have to do is find out how to turn on Wi-Fi on a laptop and start using wireless Internet.
Wi-Fi connection by hardware method
Almost all laptop computers have a button or switch for Wi-Fi. They can be located either on the top of the case near the keyboard keys, or on the side of the laptop.
If you did not find a button or a switch on your device, Wi-Fi can be connected using the keyboard. On one of the keys from F1 to F12 there is a pattern in the form of an antenna or a laptop with “waves” diverging from it. You need to press the desired button in combination with the Fn key.
Where to turn on Wi-Fi on an HP laptop: turn on the network using the touch button with the antenna image, and on selected models by pressing the Fn and F12 keys. But there are also some HP models that have a regular button with an antenna pattern.
How to turn on Wi-Fi on an ASUS laptop: on computers from this manufacturer, you need to press a combination of the Fn and F2 buttons. On Acer and Packard bell, you need to hold down the Fn key and press F3 in parallel. To enable Wi-Fi on Lenvo together with Fn, press F5. There are also models that have a special switch for connecting to wireless networks.
On Samsung laptops, to activate Wi-Fi, you need to hold down the Fn button and simultaneously press either F9 or F12 (depending on the specific model).
If you use an adapter, then you do not need to know how to turn on Wi-Fi on a laptop, since it is always turned on in hardware. But for complete confidence, you can check the operation of the adapter using the Fn key combination with the one showing the wireless network, as we described above.
Wi-Fi connection via programs
If, after turning on the button, switch or keyboard shortcut for Wi-Fi on the laptop, you still do not have a network, the wireless adapter is probably turned off by software, that is, it is disabled in the OS settings. You can connect it in two ways:
- Enable via Network and Sharing Center. To do this, you need to press the WinR combination, and in the free line of the window that opens, type the command ncpa.cpl. You will immediately be taken to the “Changing adapter settings” section (in Windows XP the section will be called “Network Connections”). We find here the “Wireless Network Connection” icon and see: if it is gray, then Wi-Fi is disabled. To activate it, right-click on the wireless network connection and select the “Enable” line. Trying to connect to the network.
- Enable via device manager. Here Wi-Fi is turned off extremely rarely, or it happens due to a failure. Nevertheless, if other methods do not help, it is worth looking here too. To do this, press the WinR combination and type the devmgmt.msc command in the line. In the task manager window that opens, we find a device whose name contains the word Wireless or Wi-Fi. Right-click on it and select the line “Engage”.
If the device still does not start or an error is displayed, download the drivers for the adapter from the official website and install them, then try again to perform the actions according to item 1 or item 2.
If your laptop is still running Windows at the factory, you will need to run the wireless network management software from the laptop manufacturer. They complete almost every computer, and they are called “wireless assistant” or “Wi-Fi manager”, and are located in the “Start”. “Programs”. Sometimes, without running this utility, no effort to connect to the network will work.
How to set up wi-fi on a laptop?
Connecting to a wireless network is the most convenient way to access the Internet at a good speed without unnecessary wires. However, to take full advantage of a wireless connection, you must first understand how to set up Wi-Fi on your laptop.
How to set up Wi-Fi on a laptop
We figured out how to turn on the adapter, then let’s see how to set up WI-FI on a Windows laptop. The setup process is slightly different in different OS versions, so an individual step-by-step guide will be given for each system.
Turning on the adapter
Before you start creating a new connection, you need to check if the Wi-FI adapter is turned on.
The function key for turning the adapter on / off is different for each laptop model. For example, ASUS laptops use FnF2, while Acer uses FnF3. On some Lenovo models, adapter status is controlled by a hardware switch located on the front panel.
To determine which key you have, look at the F1-F12 row. One of the buttons should have an icon. an antenna that sends out a signal. Press this button in combination with the Fn key and verify that the Wi-Fi adapter indicator light changes from red to blue or green.
Configuring on Windows XP
To configure, it is enough to correctly specify some parameters of the wireless connection:
- Open the “Network Connections” section through the “Control Panel” and find the wireless connection.
- Click on it with the right mouse button and open the properties “Properties”.
- On the General tab, in the Components field, highlight TCP / IPv4 and click the Properties button.
- Set the automatic acquisition of IP and DNS addresses or enter specific values (depending on the settings of the router).
- Close the protocol properties and go to the “Wireless Networks” tab.
- In the field “Available networks” click the button “Wireless networks”.
- Click “Update List” in the menu on the left.
- Select the network through which you want to access the Internet and click “Connect”.
If a password is set for the wireless connection, then you will need to specify the security key, after which the connection will be established.
What to do if the Wi-Fi adapter won’t turn on?
There are situations when, after pressing the function key, the adapter does not turn on. Typically, this problem occurs for one of the following reasons:
- Incorrectly installed drivers.
- Incorrect system operation.
- Laptop virus infection.
Until you eliminate the cause, the question of how to set up wai wai in a laptop will not receive a positive resolution. Most often, the problem lies in incorrectly installed drivers, but it will not be superfluous to check the system for viruses. If no malicious applications are found, reinstall the Wi-Fi module drivers and try to enable it again.
Setting up on Windows 7
We figured out XP, now let’s see how to set up a wireless network on a laptop with Windows 7 installed. There are practically no fundamental differences:
- Go to “Network Sharing Center”.
- Click in the menu on the left on the section “Changing adapter parameters”.
- Open the properties of the wireless connection.
- Set TCP / IPv4 to the desired operating parameters.
- Return to the “Network and Sharing Center” and click “Connect to the network”.
- Select an available connection and click “Connect”.
This completes the WI-FI setup on a laptop with Windows 7. When you connect, you enter the security key and get access to the Internet.
For Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, there is no difference in setting from the seventh version. The list of networks available for connection can be called directly from the notification panel. there is a special Wi-Fi icon in the tray.
Installing the Wi-Fi adapter driver
For the proper functioning of the hardware components of the system, appropriate software is required. Therefore, as a rule, any computer equipment is equipped with drivers. They can be found on the installation disc that came with the device. Everything is simple here: we launch the proprietary software and follow the instructions on the screen. Alternatively, you can use the tools of the OS itself to install the program.
But it also happens that, for various reasons, such a medium is absent. Usually proprietary drivers for laptop computers are included in the recovery partition on the disk or are included as separate DVDs with the system image. But it should be said that most modern laptops do not have built-in drives (DVD, Blu-ray) at all, and the process of using recovery tools requires reinstalling Windows. Of course, this option is not suitable for everyone.
The best way to get the right Wi-Fi adapter driver is to download the software from the laptop manufacturer’s website. Let’s show by a concrete example the actions necessary for this. To find the required resource, we will use Google.
Then we go to the appropriate resource. Often, official sites are displayed in the first positions in search results.
In the “Please select OS” field, indicate the operating system you have installed.
The site will display download links for your computer model.
Usually the driver of a wireless adapter has in its name words like “Wireless”, “WLAN”, “Wi-Fi”.
How to set up Wi-Fi on a laptop
Wi-Fi technology has long been firmly embedded in the everyday life of ordinary people. Today, to access the Internet, you do not need to plug in a cable and sit in one place: wireless distribution allows you to move freely around the house without losing communication. When buying a new laptop, you can be sure that all the necessary settings for using Wi-Fi have already been made. But what if the settings have been changed and the computer cannot access the wireless network? Read about this in our article.
Enabling Wi-Fi adapter
After installing the necessary drivers, the next step is to enable the Wi-Fi adapter itself. There are several ways to do this.
One of the methods to start Wi-Fi is to turn on the adapter using a special button on the laptop keyboard. This feature is present on some models of laptop PCs. Often such a key performs two functions, switching between which is carried out using “FN”.
For example, on some Asus laptops, you need to press “FN” “F2” to turn on the Wi-Fi module. It is very easy to find such a key: it is located in the top row of the keyboard (from “F1” to “F12”) and has a Wi-Fi image:
The parameters of the functioning of the elements of the motherboard are set in the BIOS.
By disabling (by accident or knowingly) the wireless adapter in these settings, you will not be able to use Wi-Fi on your laptop. The specific steps for activating the adapter are determined by your laptop model, type of firmware, and BIOS version. In general, when you enter the BIOS when booting a PC, you must:
- Go through the menu items and look in the settings for names such as “Onboard WLAN”, “Wireless LAN”, “Wireless”, etc.
- If such an item is found, then its value should be set to “Enabled” or “ON”.
Press the “F10” key (or the one that, in your case, is marked with the inscription “Save and Exit”).
Windows System Tools
Other solutions boil down to programmatically launch Wi-Fi on Windows.
By the link below you can read the lesson, where the process of turning on the Wi-Fi module using the Windows 7 operating system is considered.
To enable Wi-Fi in Windows 8 and 10 operating systems, follow these steps:
- Left-click on the network connection icon at the very bottom of the screen on the right.
Or click on the “Wi-Fi” button if you have Windows 10.
It is possible that by clicking on the icon in the tray, you will not see the switch for starting Wi-Fi in the menu. This means that the module is not involved. To put it into working condition, do the following:
- Press “Win” “X”.
- Choose “Network Connections”.
To start the Wi-Fi module in the “Device Manager” you should:
- Using the combination “Win” “X” to call the menu, where to select “Device Manager”.
Thus, launching a Wi-Fi adapter on a laptop requires an integrated approach. To start working on configuring wireless communications, you need to check the BIOS settings. Next. make sure that all the necessary drivers are present in the system. The final stage will be the hardware or software launch of the Wi-Fi connection itself.
Setting the channel width 20 MHz
802.11N technology works with broadband by default to increase network throughput. But it should be borne in mind that this will be effective only with an excellent signal. Under standard Wi-Fi conditions, this is almost impossible to achieve. In addition, 40 MHz channels operating at 2.4 GHz can interfere with other gadgets that use this range.
And with a weak signal, a broadband channel has the opposite effect. the data transfer rate decreases, and noise appears. In devices like ASUS RT-AC66U, the use of such channels is the default, so you should change it manually.
In the additional Wi-Fi settings, you need to set the value of 20MHz opposite the item “channel width”. Then click on “Save” and restart the device for the updated parameters to take effect.
Enabling WI-FI MultiMedia (WMM)
After 802.11N is connected, in order for the Internet to reach record heights in speed, you need to activate WMM. This parameter goes in tandem with QoS (quality of service) and is well suited, for example, for streaming video.
WMM is connected in the Wi-Fi settings. For this you need:
- go to “Wireless mode”;
- click on “Advanced settings”;
- click on On opposite the inscription WNN.
WNN is also required to support a wireless PC adapter. You can connect through: Settings. Properties. Advanced.
Translate all gadgets to 802.11N
When working with the “ancient” standards 802.11G or 802.11B, the ability of the network to quickly transfer information is reduced to 80%, so it’s time to move to a more relevant one.
The standard is launched very simply:
- in the Internet browser, you must write the ip-address of the gadget (indicated on the label);
- enter username and password (factory or personal);
- go to the menu and select “Basic settings”;
- go to “Wireless mode” and select 802.11 N from the list.
It remains only to save the settings by clicking on “Change” and start testing the operation of the gadget in the updated standard.
A nuance: in devices from different manufacturers (for example, ASUS or Tenda), the settings may differ. details can be found in the instructions for use, which is supplied with the unit.
Improving the speed of the Internet through the Wi-Fi network of the router
Problems become obvious when a user watches, for example, a video in good quality and sees that the speed of information transfer via Wi-Fi only reaches the minimum 20-30 Mbit per second, while the tariff is designed for 100 Mbit or even more How to increase the speed of wireless Internet through a Wi-Fi router in this case?
To begin with, it is worth finding out 3 points:
- Decide on the capabilities of the device itself. Budget devices with basic equipment provide average internet speed. In inexpensive units, the manufacturer can save on the chipset (1 core, minimum frequency), the amount of RAM, and antenna power. For home use and simple online work, this is quite enough. If you need to quickly download large files, play adventure games and shooters, you should think about purchasing a more expensive device (for example, TP-Link ARCHER-C5400X).
- Look at the Wireless N label on the box. The numbers next to this inscription, for example 300, indicate the maximum achievable speed over Wi-Fi (if you use the latest 802.11N standard). If an older standard is used, then the indicators will be somewhere in 1.5-2 times less than the specified number.
- Update the firmware. Before trying to increase the Wi-Fi speed by manipulating the settings, you need to update the device’s firmware to the newest one (it is also advisable to do this for Wi-Fi adapters). In addition, the compatibility of computer software can have a negative impact on speed. Therefore, you should visit the web portal of the developer company, download the latest version from there, go to the Windows “Device Manager” or adapter settings, make changes to the firmware.
What else do you need to check before setting up your unit? The number of connected gadgets to it. After all, the device has to “divide” the initial connection speed among all. To successfully solve this, you can use specialized powerline adapters that will help equip a wireless virtual network without “jumps” in the pace of work.
Another simple method to increase the speed of Wi-Fi operation several times is to use an interval of 5 gigahertz. Some routers support 2 bands: 2.4 and 5 GHz. Most often, Wi-Fi networks are operated on the first of the indicated frequencies. And it turns out that the more devices operate at 2.4 GHz, the worse the connection can be. Residents of apartment buildings should know this firsthand.
5 gigahertz is used less often, as a result, it has less interference and better connection quality. Nuance. for the operation of the specified frequency, a mobile or stationary device must support it (a good example is ASUS RT-AC66U / B1).
After everything is checked, you can start digging into the settings.
WPA2-PSK security standard with AES encryption algorithm
You should not use the outdated WEP or WPA / TKIP: they can significantly “slow down” the speed of the wireless Internet. Even if you switch to 802.11N, but do not change this parameter, you will not be able to increase the speed on any router model. In addition, this standard provides a high degree of security by working in tandem with a block cipher algorithm called AES.
To change these parameters, you will need:
- go to the device settings (how to do this is described above);
- select “Advanced settings”;
- go to the security section;
- set: network authentication. WPA2-PSK, encryption. AES.
Click on the “Change” button at the bottom of the screen. Parameters take effect after restarting the device.
How to increase the speed of the Internet through a Wi-Fi network of a router: 7 real ways
Routers are not just popular today: they are a must-have in every home and office. After all, users with them gain not only a stable connection with the World Wide Web. The main thing is that this connection is also of high quality, and ideally super-fast.!
But what if the provider provides a speed of 100 megabits per second, but via Wi-Fi it barely reaches the 20-30 Mbit mark per second? It’s time to start using these far from superfluous megabits, and for this you need to figure out how to quickly and accurately increase the speed of WI-FI functioning on modern and not very models of routers.
Setting the transmitter power
When manually configuring the wireless network, you need to select the value not to the maximum, but the optimal number. This can be done in the aggregate interface (e.g. Archer 17):
- setting up a wireless network;
- signal strength;
- gradually decrease the value.
You need to stop when, at the farthest point of the room / apartment / office, the laptop or smartphone ceases to “see” the network. After that, you need to increase the transmitter power by one division and you can use Wi-Fi at optimal settings.
How to Create Wireless Wifi Network Connection in Laptop or PC
The maximum power value will automatically stand, but if the device is located directly next to a PC or laptop, this may lead to losses or a weak signal. Yes, and an extra temptation for neighbors And if the router settings do not provide for the replacement of this value, it is worth increasing the distance between it and the gadgets that receive an Internet from it.
To summarize: to increase the speed of Wi-Fi on the router, you will need to set:
After all the actions, it is important not to forget to restart the unit. The procedures described above will significantly speed up the pace of the Internet via Wi-Fi and will make it possible to productively use the capabilities of both budget and more expensive devices.
Setting up wi-fi on a laptop
One of the most convenient ways to access Internet resources is to connect to a WI-FI wireless network. Despite the proliferation of computers, tablets and smartphones, and other devices using network resources, many users have no idea how to set up WI-FI on a laptop.
A module that provides functionality and networking capability
Before proceeding with the software configuration of your laptop, you will need to check the activity of a special Wi-Fi adapter. It is important to understand: any laptop manufacturer can lay down the ability to manage the adapter both programmatically and physically:
In the first case, in order to install this module in the working position, you will need to find the key with the symbols “fn” on the switched on portable device, as well as the button with the antenna symbol in broadcast mode. usually this is a small “stick” around which the emitted waves are schematically depicted By pressing the key combination at the same time, you can bring the Wi-Fi adapter in the laptop into working condition;
In the second case, if no keys are found, before setting up Wi-Fi on a laptop, you will need to find a special hardware switch on the side or bottom of the case. If the key does not contain indicators, then try to move it from position to position until the corresponding familiar icon appears on the taskbar, indicating that the device can be connected.
If the attempt to bring the laptop into a state in which it can contact the network failed, then you can try to take the following measures:
- Reinstall drivers. software for the module through which communication with the network is carried out;
- Check the system for failures or critical errors;
- Scan media for viruses.
Important: for computers of different models and years of release, the driver, respectively, may differ.
Let’s move on to considering the main question: how to set up Wi-Fi on a laptop.
After the problem is solved with the adapter and it is active, you can proceed to the configuration itself. Depending on the operating system installed on your personal computer, the process will vary slightly. As an example, let’s take a closer look at how to configure Wi-Fi on a laptop with a pre-installed Windows xp operating system (for subsequent versions, the procedure is the same, the only difference is in the names of individual menu items and options):
Open the “control panel”, go to the “network connections” section:
- We type on the keyboard the combination Win (Start) R The combination of Win R on the keyboard
- Enter the ncpa.cpl command in the “Open” field
Windows Control Panel appearance
- You will see a “wireless connection” icon;
Go to Ethernet properties
- After selecting the properties of the wireless connection, the “General” tab, in the “Components” field, set the value “TCP / IPv4”, then select its properties by clicking on the right mouse button;
- Next, set the automatic acquisition of IP and DNS addresses, or enter the required values. These values will depend on the settings on the router;
- Next, we turn to the “wireless networks” tab;
- Selecting the field of networks that can be accessed, set the value “wireless”;
- After updating the list of available networks, Wi-Fi on the laptop will become available.
Let’s analyze the same procedure for a device with a pre-installed Windows 7 operating system:
Turning to the network control center, select the option to change the parameters of the adapter;
Going to the properties of the wireless connection, we configure the values for the TCP / IPv4 we are already familiar with;
After updating the corresponding list of networks open for connection, we can safely connect to any of the available and use all Internet resources.
The procedure for setting up wi-fi on laptops with preinstalled operating systems from Windows 8 to 10 practically does not differ from the setting procedure for version 7. The only fundamental difference from the considered operating systems is the presence on the notification panel of a special icon with the Wi-Fi network logo, by clicking on which you can access the required options and functions.
Setting up a laptop to work with a wireless network is a simple matter: even the most inexperienced user will be able to connect by following the steps described in the article. The duration of the procedure is no more than 10 minutes. However, do not forget about the likelihood of difficulties in the setup process.
One of the most common difficulties that a user may encounter is a hardware malfunction or pre-installed but outdated drivers.
They can be updated both through the software environment and manually, however, it is recommended to first uninstall old software versions.
If, after this procedure and checking the system for virus and malicious files, the problem could not be solved, it is recommended to contact the appropriate service: most likely, the module responsible for the ability to make a wireless connection is damaged or for some reason does not respond to system inquiries.
Connecting to the network on a “laptop”
When the network indicator lights up on the “laptop” panel (it can be on the bottom or on the top of the keyboard) and a yellow circle appears on the network icon on the screen on the “Taskbar”, this will mean that “Wi-Fi” is activated and the device has already found some access points.
A lit indicator means that the wireless network is turned on
Go directly to the wireless network connection:
- In the lower right corner of the “Desktop” on the “Taskbar” we find an icon for a wireless network connection, usually it has the same familiar shape of a Wi-Fi antenna. It can be hidden behind the up arrow, so if you couldn’t find it right away, open the additional section.
Click on the network icon to open the panel with the list of points
Select a point and click on “Connect”
What the user needs to do before turning on “Wi-Fi
If you have a “laptop” after reinstalling the “operating system” or if it is completely new, before direct activation, make sure that you have everything in order with the drivers of the wireless network adapter (they are correctly installed, updated and enabled). To do this, go to the standard system window “Device Manager”:
- We go to the Run panel through the Windows R combination and write the devmgmt.msc formula there. Click on OK and wait for the dispatcher interface to load.
Paste and run the devmgmt.msc command on the panel to start the dispatcher
In the context menu “Start” you can select the dispatcher item
Select the “Properties” item through the additional menu
How to Make Your Laptop’s Wifi Signal Faster On Windows 10/8/7 [Tutorial]
Click on the link “Device Manager” on the left
In the manager expand the item “Network adapters”
If there is an arrow on the item with Wireless, turn on the adapter
Click on “Enable device” in the additional menu
Select automatic search for updates in the wizard
The notification informs about the relevance of the current “firewood”
If there is an item “Unknown device”, then you need to update the drivers through the official website
Using HP Connection Manager
You can activate the “Wi-Fi” function through a proprietary application from the HP laptop manufacturer:
- Type in the “Search” menu (search bar or the magnifying glass icon on the “System Tray”) the query HP Connection Manager.
Activate “Wi-Fi” in the manager interface if it is disabled
When you turn on “Wi-Fi”, go to the connection to your point
How to turn on “Wi-Fi” on an HP laptop
For HP laptops, the wireless network is turned on through a special program, as well as through special buttons located on the device panel.
We reinstall the “firewood” of the wireless adapter through the official HP resource
Downloading “firewood” from the official site is a fairly simple and intuitive process, but it can take a lot of time. Let’s break it down in detail in the manual:
- Click on the link to go to the official HP website.
For the service to detect your device, click on the big button on the website
Look at the serial number in the window called with Esc and Fn
It will take some time for the system to find a product.
Make sure you visit the page with that product
Download the driver for the network with the word Wi-Fi in the name
Accept the terms of the software agreement
How to activate Wi-Fi on an HP laptop: reinstalling drivers and turning on through a proprietary manager or buttons
It turns out that it’s not always easy to connect a laptop to your Wi-Fi hotspot. In some cases, you need to “get confused”: check the relevance of the drivers and, if necessary, reinstall them, as well as enable the very signal recognition on the “laptop”. How to do it on a “laptop” from HP?
How to install a driver for a wi-fi adapter
There are several ways how to install the driver on a laptop. This applies to other devices as well. The first and easiest option is automatic installation, when all the work is done by Windows. She independently searches for the necessary, modern, relevant drivers suitable for a specific system. The main disadvantage of this method is that often the OS cannot find the required driver. And then you have to deal with the installation manually.
In some cases, automatic searches are successful and the driver installation is correct. often than not, at least this should happen, the OS itself will try to install the driver. If this does not happen, start the automatic installation of the driver to enable the Wi-Fi adapter on the laptop.
- Press WindowsR at the same time;
- Enter the devmgmt.msc command in the empty field that opens;
- Confirm by pressing Enter;
- Find the “Other Devices” section.
For some reason, the Wi-Fi adapter ended up in the category of other devices, because there is a special section for it. Very simple. The driver is not installed by the system for a specific device, or the first installation failed.
- Find a Wi-Fi adapter in “Other devices”;
- Mouse click (button on the right);
- Selected from the presented menu “Properties”;
- Go to “Driver” and update;
- Select “Search automatically for updated drivers”.
After selecting the last item, the OS will automatically search for suitable drivers and install them for the Wi-Fi adapter. Here it is already a matter of the operating system: it may or may not install the driver. If the installation didn’t happen, don’t worry. You can install it manually. How to do this is detailed below. There is nothing difficult. It is enough to follow the instructions exactly.
Installing the Wi-Fi adapter driver manually
First, they go to the official Internet portal of the device manufacturer. In our case, the adapter. Find the “Downloads” section, go into it and simply download the required driver onto the PC. Installation takes place thanks to the installation package.
When the installation takes place on a laptop, go to the website of the laptop manufacturer. If there is a problem with installing the driver through the downloaded installer, use the semi-automatic installation method through the Device Manager. And indicate the address of the directory where the driver is located on the PC.
To do this, you need to take several steps:
- Go to the download section of the official creator. the manufacturer of the purchased wireless network adapter or netbook.
- Download the driver package to their own PC.
- Press the WindowsR keyboard shortcut.
- In the line that appears, enter devmgmt.msc.
- Confirm with Enter.
- Find a section called “Other devices”.
- In this category, choose a wireless network adapter.
- Make a mouse click on the icon.
- Choose “Properties” from the presented menu.
- Go to the “Driver” tab.
- Click to update.
- Click on “Search for drivers on this PC”.
- Click “Browse”.
- Indicate the directory where already downloaded programs are located. drivers.
- Click on “Next”.
Now you just have to wait for the driver installation to finish.
Setting up a wireless connection on a laptop
Nowadays, almost everyone uses a wireless network. It is on every device: Wi-Fi on a laptop, for example, is present on all the latest models. It’s so convenient. You can access the Internet anywhere: at a party, cafe, office, library, etc.
Many are accustomed to the fact that this process happens by itself, automatically and does not require any effort on the part of the user. As much as possible, enter a password to access the wireless network on the device. As a rule, the input occurs 1 time, and then the entrance is carried out automatically.
Sometimes it can be difficult to connect. The article describes what to do if the wireless network is disabled, how to enable it (Windows 7 and more modern versions of this OS), as well as how to enable Wi-Fi from the keyboard, connect an external adapter, and install software. At the end, a video is presented. instructions on how to set up a wireless network on a laptop with Windows.
Enabling Wi-Fi on a laptop using the keyboard
In most cases, wi-fi can be activated with a simple keyboard shortcut, usually two at the same time. The combinations may vary depending on the manufacturer of the device. There is a primary Fn button on every keyboard. The second is in the F1-F12 row.
Below are the most common keyboard shortcuts:
- Asus: FnF2;
- Lenovo: FnF5;
- HP: FnF12;
- Aser: FnF3;
- Samsung: FnF9;
- Toshiba: FnF12;
- Samsung: Fn F12 or F9 (varies by model).
On older devices, there is a slider on the side of the case that turns on the wireless network. When everything is normal, a mark appears on the screen in the form of steps. To open it and see the settings, just click on the icon. A window will open indicating the current connection.
There may be such a situation that you cannot turn on Wi-Fi either with a keyboard shortcut or with the power button on the case. How do I turn on the wireless network on my laptop in this case? The first step is to check for a failure in the settings: select “Network and Internet” on the control panel, go through the “Network Connections” tab, diagnose networks. The operating system will fix errors on its own.
How to connect a Wi-Fi adapter to a laptop
For a better signal, you should give preference to devices with an antenna. There are adapters with two ranges. They are only relevant if home computers support the 802.11ac standard. Of course, you need to purchase a router operating at 2.4 and 5 GHz frequencies.
The wireless adapter must be plugged into a USB port on the PC. Better to use the 3.0 connector for the fastest speed. 2.0 will do too.
As for the drivers, they are already there, as a rule, in a laptop. Manual installation is required on Windows XP. However, there are not many users of this operating system at the moment. If you need to install drivers, the adapter will include a disk.
The device is configured as follows: go to the device parameters (properties of the Wi-Fi adapter). A software update is available here. Then they connect to wi-fi. At the bottom of the screen on the right, they click the network connections icon, select the one you need from the list and click “Connect”. Enter a password if necessary. Check for internet connection.
How to install the software for the Wi-Fi adapter
A driver is a program through which the OS receives information about the type of connected equipment and its purpose. It ensures the correct functioning of a laptop, computer and other devices with an operating system.
Quite often, failures in the wireless network appear after cleaning the system from viruses, after reinstalling the hardware or the operating system itself. Deletion of settings may occur during this time. When a problem is detected, the presence of a driver on the laptop is determined.
- Enter the “Start” and then into the “Computer”;
- Go to the appropriate section “System properties”;
- Open the “Device Manager” tab. In this section there is an inscription in English “Wireless Network Adapter”. Click on it and go to the “Driver”. When there is no content, they install the driver on the laptop.
How to turn on a wi-fi adapter on a laptop
After the drivers are installed by any of the above methods, it remains only to enable the wireless connection on the laptop by turning on the adapter. It’s simple. Press and hold the Fn key while pressing the Wi-Fi button. It is marked with a special icon. Some models have a separate button. In this case, it is enough just to press it one.
In principle, after these steps, the wireless network should be turned on. If the connection fails, open the Network and Access Center. Check if there is a connection or not.
To do this, at the bottom of the screen on the right, find an icon and click on it. A menu will open in which the category “Change adapter settings” is selected. Next, select “Wireless Network Connection”. If the function is disabled, the icon will be grayed out. To turn it on, just right-click and click on “On”.
After the performed manipulations, a check is made. That the wireless connection is established and active is indicated by a lit icon in the form of a signal level from the steps. It is marked with an asterisk. It is now obvious that the module is enabled. Can be connected to the network. To do this, click on the icon. A list of available networks will open. Choose your router and click on “Connect”.
How to Enable Wi-Fi on Windows Laptop. video
The presented method of how to connect a wireless connection on a laptop will help at the same time eliminate the existing connection difficulties, correct the functioning of the wireless network and calmly continue to work on the Web. For a better understanding and assimilation of information, below is a video instruction on connecting Wi-Fi on Windows 7, Windows 10 and Windows XP operating systems:
Now you know how to turn on Wi-Fi on a laptop. Models from different manufacturers have their own characteristics. They are not very different. The principle is the same everywhere. This can be done automatically and manually. To do this, the laptop must have the appropriate drivers installed. You can connect the device to a wireless network both through an external adapter and through an internal.