Disconnect the old floppy drive from your computer
If your computer has an old drive that you want to replace, then first you need to unplug and remove the old drive. To do this, remove the screws that secure the drive. Typically, there are four of these screws, two on each side of the drive.
After you have unscrewed the screws, the drive must be carefully pulled out of the system unit. To do this, slightly push the drive from the inside of the system unit and pull it out.
It should be noted that the drive is installed and removed only outside the system unit. Therefore, do not try to push the drive inside the computer case.
How to connect a floppy drive to a computer
A disk drive, or optical disc drive, is a device used to read and write optical discs. Despite the fact that optical discs are losing their popularity every year, it is still impossible to do without a drive, especially on a desktop computer. In this article we will show you how to connect a floppy drive to your computer.
Preparing your computer for connecting a floppy drive
Before proceeding directly to connecting the drive to the computer, you need to perform a number of preparatory operations. First, the computer must be completely de-energized. Not just turn off, but completely de-energize. To do this, you need to pull out the cable that connects the computer’s power supply to the power supply. This simple action will protect you from electric shock and save your life.
After you have turned off the computer, you need to remove the side covers of the system unit. You need to remove both covers, since to connect the drive to the computer, we need access to both sides of the system unit.
Typically, the side covers are secured with four screws at the back of the system unit. After unscrewing these screws, slide the side covers back a little and then remove them.
Connecting a floppy drive to a computer
Now we come to the most important question of this article, how to connect a floppy drive to a computer. To do this, insert the drive into an empty bay from the front of the case and push it in until it stops. After the drive is in place, you need to fix it with screws. Don’t skimp on the screws, tighten all four, two on each side of the drive. If the drive is not properly secured, it will vibrate and make a lot of noise while writing or reading discs.
After the drive is installed, it must be connected to the computer. All modern drives are connected in the same way as hard drives, using SATA cables. All you need to do is plug a narrow SATA cable (usually red) into an available SATA port on the motherboard and into a floppy drive. You also need to connect the SATA powered cable that comes from the power supply. The SATA power cable is slightly wider and consists of 4 conductors.
Once you have connected the SATA cables to your drive, you can close the side covers and turn on your computer. This completes the process of connecting the drive to the computer.
The creator of the site comp-security.net, the author of more than 2000 articles on computer repair, working with programs, setting up operating systems.
Everything is stated well! However, it should be supplemented with information for users of old computers.
Today, according to your instructions, I connected the drive itself, everything is written. thank
The process of connecting the monitor to the computer
Connecting a PC to a monitor is easy. The whole process will take a couple of seconds. However, before connecting two devices, there are a few things to consider.
- The most convenient is when the interfaces of both devices are the same. But if the connectors are different, you will need an adapter. It is recommended to purchase such an accessory from the same company as the cable: there will definitely be no conflicts.
- A system unit or laptop with DVI, VGA port can be connected to a monitor with HDMI, which shows a picture in 4K. But this quality should not be expected: the user will receive images of the definition that the older port is capable of.
- If, in addition to the integrated graphics chip, there is a discrete PC in the PC, it is better to connect the screen to it: more power = better image.
Usually, no additional settings are required.
If the PC works, but the screen does not show anything, you should check if the plugs are tight enough in the connectors.
How to connect a monitor to the system unit: 4 steps
This guide will help you figure out how to connect the system unit to the display, which ports to use. He will also tell you about the procedure and how you can connect two system units to the monitor.
Computer and monitor connectors
Three port options are used to connect computers to monitors. Below are the features of each of them.
Quite an old port. However, thanks to the ability to stream content in FHD, it’s still on the way. For example, the inexpensive 2E Rational is equipped with such a connector. However, when working with some video cards capable of dual-channel mode, the indicator can increase to 2560 x 1600 pixels.
- transmits only a picture, a different channel is needed for the audio signal;
- the maximum resolution that the connector is capable of transmitting depends on the length of the wire: up to 10.5 meters. 1920 x 1280 pixels, up to 18 meters. 1280 x 1024 pixels;
- there are three types of such ports that are compatible with each other: A. analog transmission only, D. digital only, I. analog digital.
Minus. frequent interference that appears near devices emitting electromagnetic waves.
This port is often found on simple office monitors. The maximum resolution that the connector is officially capable of is 1280 x 1024 pixels. In practice, the indicators are even higher. As in the previous case, the port is created only for video signal transmission.
Interesting: such a connector is installed in the compact VZ249HE with full resolution.
This interface is the most modern and one of the most popular. Most laptops and systems are equipped with it. Even tablets often have such a connector.
- capable of transmitting not only video, but also audio signal: no additional cable is required;
- supports full resolution with three-dimensional effects, broadcasts content up to 8K (version 2.1);
- high bandwidth. 4.9-48 gigabits in an instant. allows you to transmit a signal without delays, which has a beneficial effect on picture quality.
Interesting: the creators of the Vinga Ark 0022 equipped it with many ports, including a pair of HDMI inputs.
There are three types: A. classic size, as well as mini. C and micro. D. The first option is most often found in laptops and PCs, and the second and third. in portable devices.
How to connect two system units to one monitor?
In this case, you need such a thing as a KVM switch. The accessory makes it possible to connect at least 2 system units to 1 monitor, as well as to a mouse and keyboard.
This solution not only eliminates the need to use multiple displays, but also allows you to free up workspace: there will be no extra wires, peripheral devices.
The KVM switch is a compact device with multiple connectors. They are usually placed around the perimeter. For example, D-Link DUB-1341 has four of them.
Each of the connectors that are connected to the video card of the system unit transmits not only the video signal, but also data from the keyboard and mouse. As a rule, the switch is also equipped with buttons that allow the user to select the computer that needs to be used.
The advantage of switches is that they do not distort the picture: the quality depends on the port the device is equipped with. In addition, they work with any operating system, including server versions. Some models are also equipped with an audio interface, but they are more expensive. However, it is not necessary to look for one: you can buy a monitor with speakers, like the Samsung Curved C27T55.
The order of connecting a pair of system units to a monitor using such a switch is almost the same as described in the previous section. The only difference is that all cables go through the switch.
The connection process is pretty straightforward. If the connectors on the devices are not the same, then you should stock up on a suitable adapter. A pair of PCs can also be connected. Then you need a special switch.
Types of drives and purpose
They are divided into internal (built-in) and external. Depending on the type, the functions differ.
The built-in ones are installed in laptops in the factory assembly and with settings. In stationary user computers, readers are installed during assembly, or, at the request of the user, a drive is selected when purchasing a computer with prefabricated components.
External drives come in a compact design for mobile use. Portable, lightweight equipment easily fits into a laptop or netbook case. There are different types of devices with functions of only reading or writing information, or two functions together.
The demand for mobile drives has emerged with the development of technology. Over time, the characteristics of a new mobile computer become obsolete along with the reader. The understanding comes that advanced, high-quality technical data is needed for the full use of the device.
The main types of drives: with the ROM extension. read-only functions. RW extension. read and write functions.
- CD-ROM; CD-RW. conventional optical;
- DVD-ROM; DVD-RW; DVD / CD-RW. digital, for reading, writing CD and DVD;
- BD-ROM – RW. blu-ray with high speed reading and writing of all formats;
- HD DVD-ROM; HD DVD RW. digital with high speed reading and writing of all formats.
- For a personal computer, there is a special compartment in the case on the front side, where the drive is attached to the brackets with fastening screws.
- Connect the floppy drive to the motherboard and power supply using ribbon cables with connectors of different calibers.
- It is impossible to make a mistake. which cable to connect to the power supply, and which one to the motherboard. Molex and SATA are similar in appearance, but cannot be plugged into a Molex SATA connector. And vice versa.
- If everything is connected correctly, the drive should work.
Installation of additional equipment does not require special knowledge. Following the instructions given by a computer or laptop will lead to the cleanest possible installation of the software.
Despite the presence of adapters and hubs with different types of connectors, smartphones and tablets do not support external consoles for reading discs. The operating system of gadgets is arranged differently.
By the way. HD DVD media (Hitachi) has been discontinued since 2008 due to the format war with Blu-ray (SONY). HD DVD drives and discs are not used.
There were also problems with CD drives. technical design and quality were not up to par due to lack of demand. DVD and BD format is a great success.
We connect the floppy drive to your laptop
Buying a disc reader will easily solve the problem of an inoperative internal drive or its absence in the package.
How to connect a floppy drive to a laptop with minimal knowledge.
Modern laptops are equipped with interfaces, devices, sealed in a single modular case. Occasionally internal parts fail and are replaced with new components.
A weak point in a laptop is a disk drive that fails despite infrequent use. Or a working drive does not “read” new formats.
How does it work?
It is arranged from a spindle drive, where a disc with information is inserted and attached. The laser head moves over the areas of the rotating disc and reads data.
The spindle is powered from the mains via the USB interface. The carrier disc is covered with a special layer on which the laser burns out information, making depressions and bumps.
Selection and installation
Why install an external drive. Compact and mobile netbooks come without an optical drive. Built-in laptops may not meet user needs. Therefore, it is important to use external drives that read and write information.
Despite the presence of flash media and hard drives for storing data and archives, optical disks are needed for work, for storing files. Different situations require an externally connected disk reader.
Connecting to a laptop
- Choose the best option for an external device for reading discs with a USB connector. The functions of the drive must match the specifications of the laptop, how it will be used and what for. Portable can be carried along with a computer. If the work is stationary, you can choose with stable legs.
- Before installing, you need to study the instructions. Turn off the operating system and disconnect from the network.
- Connect the reader cable to the USB-interface or FireWire connector of devices turned off from the network. Cables with SATA and IDE connectors are designed for internal optical drives of a personal computer. The lack of connectors is made up by a hub. multiadapter.
- When starting the operating system of the laptop, a message should appear that “new hardware has been found.” Most peripheral equipment operates on the PnP principle, which stands for Plug and Play. No need to install additional drivers or applications. The device is automatically configured and starts working. The system notifies that the device is installed and operating normally. Sometimes, along with the device, special programs or utilities are attached to facilitate certain tasks associated with the installed equipment. For example, an application that helps write to a disc media, or others downloaded from the official website of the product.
- The laptop may not detect and start the device. To eliminate this, go to the Control Panel. Find the “Device Manager” folder. Click on the Action button on the top panel of the window. Select tab. Update configuration. If an unidentified device is found, right-click to update the driver, then click on the option to automatically search for the driver. The equipment should be installed.
Connect the floppy drive to your laptop: 2 comments
And what is a floppy drive for now? You can reinstall Windows from a USB flash drive, and everything else is easy to download. But thanks for the article!
Some things, for example, archives, are better kept separate, because it is safer because of failures.
Connecting a floppy drive: step by step instructions
Some devices are quite difficult to connect to a computer, but this rule does not apply to a drive. The process of connecting it is the simplest, if only the scheme of this procedure is clear. Next, we will take a closer look at how to do it correctly.
Diagram of connecting a drive to a PC
Turn off the power to the computer before directly connecting the drive. You can pull out the plug from the outlet, but more correctly. turn off the power supply to the system unit itself. This is done here:
There is a plug on the back of the system unit (in the upper left corner). It needs to be pulled out, and the power will disappear. The plugs cannot be confused: they go directly to the power supply. After powering off the computer, you can start connecting the drive:
- Remove the two side covers from the case of the system unit. This must be done, since the drive is fixed on both sides. To do this, you need to unscrew the bolts on the back of the case:
Then, gently, slightly pressing, the cover is pushed back and removed from the mounts. After that, access to the drive is open, and the process of connecting it directly begins.
If you don’t have a drive (old), skip this step. If there is one, it must be turned off, pulled out and replaced with a new one. All cables that connect the device to the motherboard must be disconnected. It is enough to disconnect them from one side, from the drive, and then remove the drive itself from the mounts:
Finally, when there is free space, you should start connecting the new drive. You need to start with its location and fixing in the case.
Place the drive outside the system unit, from the front side of the case, and carefully slide it inside until it stops:
Further, according to the previous photo, tighten the holders. These can be either ordinary bolts or more sophisticated methods of fixing the device. Their essence, however, is the same. to firmly hold the drive in the case of the system unit. It can be twisting valves, latch, etc.
After fixing the device, connect the wires correctly:
The thin and red cable is SATA, it drives the device. Wider. power cable.
The SATA cable is connected to the desired connector on the motherboard (it is designated as SATA):
Well, the power cable of the drive does not need to be connected anywhere, since it initially comes directly from the power supply:
In the end, the case of the system unit is closed with covers, they are fixed with bolts behind. After all these steps, the process of installing the drive is considered complete.
A floppy drive (for floppy disks) is connected in an absolutely identical way. He, of course, is not held in high esteem, but some manufacturers have left support for this type of device.
It is worth considering specific details in the connection process. For example, you need to connect such a drive with the following plug (Molex connector) from the power supply:
And the device is connected to the motherboard (the connector is designated as IDE) exclusively with an FDD cable:
This video shows you how to connect a floppy drive. This does not take into account the connection of wires, but special knowledge is not required for this. The main problem arises during the physical installation of the device.
Connecting a floppy drive via BIOS
If you are sure that you have connected the drive completely correctly, but the system did not recognize it automatically, it may be in the BIOS.
In order to get into it, you need to press certain keys while loading the operating system. This is often the DEL key on your keyboard, but it may differ depending on the BIOS version, computer configuration, etc. When the computer boots up, the message “Press X to enter setup” may appear in the lower corners. It is the button that will be indicated instead of “X”, and you need to press to get into the BIOS.
Next, you need to find the appropriate section, using the arrows for navigation and confirming the selection with Enter:
- SATA-Device (for a SATA drive);
- IDE-Device (for IDE drives);
- USB-Device (for USB drives, including external).
Inside this section, you should find the name of your drive. If Disabled is written next to it, you need to change the value to Enabled. After that, the device will be recognized by the system and will work.
Transferring a PC drive to a laptop and vice versa
There are situations when it is necessary to use a floppy drive, but it is not on the PC (or it is on a stationary computer, but not in a laptop). This can be done in two ways. The first one is the most difficult, it requires a complete understanding of what is planned to be done, mastery of a soldering iron and radio engineering knowledge. The procedure itself consists in melting the contacts and many other nuances. We will not consider this method because of its complexity and, often, inexpediency in terms of “expended forces / final result”.
- PATA / USB;
- SATA / USB;
- IDE / USB;
- SATA / IDE onwards, in turn.
The procedure for connecting drives is absolutely identical to that described earlier. SATA connectors are inserted into specially designated places on the motherboard. They are marked with text on the board. USB plug to USB port, etc.
As an example, consider the scheme for connecting an IDE drive from a laptop to a computer via a SATA adapter:
- The IDE cable is inserted into the adapter and the opposite end into the drive;
- the reverse side of the adapter (SATA) is connected to the system board;
- the cable from the power supply is connected to the drive as standard.
From this point on, the laptop drive is fully operational, connected to the computer. If a SATA / USB adapter is used, then you do not need to connect the power. The current in the USB connector is fully sufficient for the operation of the device. To find out, check the documentation for your drive (if available).
The exact same method works when connecting a computer’s floppy drive to a laptop (this is where a USB adapter is often used). This rule also applies to external drives.
Connecting a floppy drive is not difficult at all, although at first it can seem a little confusing. All connectors are signed, and it is unlikely that it will be possible to connect the device incorrectly without breaking something in the process. Observe safety precautions when turning off the power, and otherwise there will be no difficulties.