Internet setup on Android tablet
How to connect a 3G USB modem on an Android tablet
You’ve probably already noticed one feature of tablets. their inability to connect to a USB modem for connecting to the World Wide Web.
In this guide, you will learn how you can connect a USB tethering to your Android tablet.
Tablets are a kind of hybrids of a PC and a smartphone, which does not have a conventional mechanical keyboard and has a rather impressive size to be a mobile phone, but even thanks to this, it was able to win a large audience in the device market, and tablets, today, are preferred by more than one million users worldwide.
New tablet formats have made it a truly new tool that does an excellent job of basic tasks: watching videos and movies, launching and playing games, and also great for surfing websites, social networks.
On the tablet, today, the main Internet connection is a wireless Wi-Fi network.
But this method is not “ideal”, and it has a lot of drawbacks, the main one is the locality of the Wi-Fi connection, which reaches no more than a few meters from the router.
And setting up other ways to connect to the tablet’s network is a rather complicated process.
This is because the organization of an ordinary wired connection is accompanied by several technical nuances.
Due to such technical characteristics, the only alternative to standard Wi-FI may be a USB modem, which will allow the user of an Android tablet to access a 3G or 4G network.
You can connect the modem to the tablet using additional settings, which will be described in detail here.
Additional equipment for the tablet to connect to the Internet
First of all, in order to be able to connect an Android tablet at all, you need a USB port through which the modem will be connected.
Most of the models have a connector, except for some budget tablet models. Currently, the USB port on tablets has been replaced by Micro-USB, which can be used for some devices. To connect the modem to the provided tablet connector, you will need a special adapter.
Configuring the modem connected to the tablet
Especially to improve the functioning of the modem on the tablet. it should be set to modem only mode. If the modem for connecting to the Internet brands ZTE or Huawei, then everything will become much easier.
All because there is a special program called “3G Modem mode Switcher for ZTE and Huawei”, which makes it possible to switch the modem mode in one click.
If the modem is “stitched” for a certain operator, then it will also need to be configured for the network parameters of the operator.
Configuring Huawei 520/510 modem
All settings are made through the user interface, which is most often opened for modems through any browser.
How to connect a 3G modem to an Android tablet
In this post we will talk about connecting a separate 3G modem to your gadget using a USB OTG cable. This question is relevant specifically for tablets, because, unlike smartphones, not all of them have a 3G module. And the speed offered by the USB 3G modem is often higher than that of the mobile Internet.
You may also be interested in reading about connecting another headset to your Android tablet or smartphone:
I must say that a USB modem consists of two things: a 3G module and a flash drive, which is integrated into it, for storing connection data. If you connect such a modem to a PC, then it will easily recognize both devices when connected, but not all tablets cope with this seemingly simple task and some of them define a 3G modem exclusively as a Flash drive.
How to connect a 3G modem to an Android tablet
- Install the 3GSW program from ZyXel on your PC or laptop using the link
- Open the utility and connect a 3G modem to the computer
- In it, click on the buttons “Only modem” and then “Exit”
If this method does not help you, use the following:
- Download and install the HyperTerminal utility from the link on your PC
- Connect modem to PC
- Open the Windows “Device Manager”, find the connected modem among the equipment and open its properties
- Write down somewhere the data about the port number and speed, which you will find in the “Modem” tab
- After that, run the HyperTerminal utility and in the new connection window enter an arbitrary name for the connection
- In the new window, enter the port number data you recorded earlier
- In the next window, enter the connection speed and click on the “OK” button
- In the next window enter the command “ate1”, after a positive answer “OK” enter “at ^ u2diag = 0”
- For some modems, you need to enter other AT commands: at ^ setport = “a1, a2; 1,2,3”
- Wait for the next answer “OK”
- Now you can disconnect the modem from the computer
UPD: As suggested in the comments, tablets without a 3G module do not have an interface for configuring the connection of mobile networks, so we will have to install the PPP Widget application from Google Play. The program requires root rights.
The program will create its own widget that needs to be displayed on the desktop. Go to the widget settings and enter the APN, username, password and dial-up number, which you can find on the operator’s website.
If you get a “No driver” error, go to this page, download the driver for your device and place it in the sdcard / pppwidget / lib folder.
There are only 2 ways to connect the modem to the tablet:
- The first method is suitable for absolutely any tablet on the Android or IOS system. Since any tablet is equipped with WI-FI, this method is the most convenient and does not require any settings. You can use the Internet through a mobile Wi-Fi router. Here is a small list of the most popular models that are guaranteed to work with any tablet: Huawei E5577UA, Novatel 7730L, Huawei R206.
- The second way is more complicated. This is to connect a 3G USB modem. Modems such as Huawei 3372, Huawei E8372, ZTE MF 79U, Huawei K4203 work on almost all Android tablet computers.
Connecting 4G / 3G modem to a tablet running on Android system (with USB output)
Tablet computers have long been in high demand among users. The demand for them is associated with such factors as their small size (for example, compared to a conventional laptop), the possibility of a long battery life. It should be noted that not all tablets are equipped with a built-in GSM or CDMA module that allows you to connect to the Internet. However, Wi-Fi is available on all tablets, and almost all devices of this type are equipped with a USB output.
Most modern tablets run on the Android operating system. However, not all 3G 4G WI-FI modems are compatible with tablets (the list of supported modems is indicated in the accompanying documentation for the tablet).
4G / 3G WI-FI router Huawei E5577UA (adapted for Ukrainian operators)
Ready-to-use 4G set “Internet in a car for the city” (modem with WI-FI and antenna, cable and adapter)
Ready-to-use set of 4G “Internet in cars for all Ukraine” (router auto antenna cable)
To connect a 4G / 3G modem to a tablet running on Android OS, you need:
Connect the modem to the tablet using the USB port, install the drivers.
Switch the modem to “modem only” mode. To do this, you need to download and install the 3g modem mode switcher program. The above modems are equipped with Zero CD technology (drivers are installed automatically). This prevents the Android system from correctly determining the port through which the data exchange between the modem and the tablet will take place.
Run the program 3g modem mode switcher, and with the modem connected to the computer, press “only modem”. ATTENTION! Performing any manipulations with the modem specified in this manual, the responsibility for its performance lies entirely with you.!
Insert the modem into the USB port of the tablet computer.
Launch Settings. Wireless Networks. APN Access Points.
In the menu that appears, enter the settings of your operator.
|For Kyivstar||For Vodafone||For LifeCell|
|APN: www.kyivstar.net||APN: internet||APN: internet|
Then plug the modem into the USB port of the tablet. After 10 seconds, a 3G (H) or 4G (LTE) symbol should appear next to the battery icon.
Congratulations! Your tablet computer is ready to work on the Internet!
How to connect 4G / 3G modem (internet) on iPad?
But what if your tablet does not have a USB output or is built on an operating system other than Android and Windows (eg iPad)? 4GStar specialists have found a solution to this problem! We present to your attention the portable 4G / 3G Wi-Fi routers Huawei E5577UA, Novatel 7730 and Huawei R206. This device is a 4G / 3G modem with built-in Wi-Fi, which allows you to distribute the Internet to up to 10 users at the same time!
Ask an engineer a question and get a FREE consultation
The engineer will call you back shortly or call us at 0 (800) 210-295 (calls from all phones are free).
We connect the USB modem to the tablet
A USB modem can be connected to an Android or iOS tablet if it has a built-in 3G module and a mobile network setup interface. It is not difficult to identify such a tablet. it has a tray for a SIM card.
If there is no SIM card tray, then connecting the modem will require root-rights and the installation of third-party software. In this article, we will not touch on this topic, since it is too extensive and requires certain experience and skills from the user.
How to connect a USB modem to a computer or tablet
A USB modem is a popular and simple device that can provide access to the Internet not only at home, but also in any other place. as long as the network is catching. It’s easy to connect such a device. just follow the step-by-step instructions.
OTG cable is sometimes presented as a compact adapter without a cord
Only those USB modems that support Mac OS X and mobile iOS will work with the iPad. You can clarify these data in the specification of the modem on the packaging or on the manufacturer’s website.
A cable designed for connecting a camera will also work.
Armed with the adapter, connect the modem to the tablet and wait until the indicator light on the modem stops blinking. Now you can proceed to setting.
Connecting a modem to a PC
In most cases, connecting a USB modem to a laptop or desktop computer is straightforward. You need:
- Insert the operator’s SIM card into the modem.
- Connect the modem to an available USB port on your computer or laptop. You can use both USB 2.0 and 3.0. If you have a laptop, you can connect the modem through an extension cable and put it next to it. this way you reduce the risk of damage to the device.
- Install special software. Complete with the modem, you will have a CD with proprietary software and drivers. Insert it into the computer drive and install all the proposed software using autorun.
If the disc was not included in the kit, then go to the modem manufacturer’s website, go to the Downloads section and download the drivers for your device manually, then install them.
- Now let’s make sure that the drivers are up correctly. To do this, open the “Control Panel”. “Device Manager” and select our modem from the list. You will be able to identify it by its name. it will indicate the manufacturer of the device. Double click on it.
- In the window that opens, click “Poll the modem”. The system will run a small test and then notify you of the results. If everything is in order, then the modem can already be used. If the system gives an error, then either the drivers are outdated (try downloading new ones on the manufacturer’s website), or the modem is physically defective, or it is incompatible with your OS version.
At this point, the connection can be established automatically. You will see an internet connection icon in the tray. But if this did not happen, we will do everything manually. The setting is the same for Windows XP, 7, 8.1 and 10:
- Right-click on the Internet icon (or lack thereof) in the tray and select “Network and Sharing Center”.
- In the window that opens, click “Set up a new connection”.
- We are interested in the Internet connection. select the first item.
- Next, select “Switched”.
- You will see a window with three fields: “Dialed number”, “Username” and “Password”. If you bought a modem from an operator, then these fields will already be filled in. If you took the SIM card separately from the USB modem, then you need to fill them with data from the operator. They are usually specified in the contract. The dialed number may also be called the APN. If this data is not in your agreement with the operator, then contact his hotline. they will tell you how to fill in these lines. You can fill in the “Connection Name” field at your discretion. for example, “MTS Modem” or something like that.
To see the password, check the box “Show entered characters”
Done! You should now be able to connect to the internet using your USB tethering.
To make the use of the modem comfortable, it is worth making additional settings.
You can select the maximum baud rate for the modem. This is useful when the traffic provided by the operator is limited. For this:
- Right-click on an active connection in the tray or on the shortcut created earlier.
- Click “Status”.
- Click the “Properties” button at the bottom of the window that opens.
- On the first line, you will see the Fastest Rate (bps) drop-down list. Choose a constraint that suits you. The maximum rate here is limited by the hardware speed of the modem. Therefore, to remove all restrictions, select the last value in the drop-down list.
Create a shortcut
To get quick access to the modem’s settings, disconnect and reconnect its Internet in two clicks, you can make a connection shortcut. For this:
- Go to the “Network and Sharing Center” if you had time to leave it.
- Click “Network Connections”.
- Find the created connection in the list. You will be able to identify it by the name that was given when creating the connection.
- Click on it with the right mouse button and select “Create shortcut” from the drop-down menu.
You now have a dial-up connection icon on your desktop. By right-clicking on it, you can quickly deactivate and activate it if necessary.
Switching to “Modem only” mode
By default, the tablet will recognize your modem as a USB drive, that is, a simple USB flash drive. To fix this, you need to:
- Connect the modem to a PC with installed proprietary software.
- Run the modem configuration utility.
- Select “Modem only” mode. Usually it is located on the main settings page, but for some manufacturers it may be located in the “Mode” or “Settings” menu.
ZTE and Huawei modems can also be switched to the desired mode using third-party software. To do this, you need to download the Mode Switcher utility. It has only one window, at the bottom of which you will see the “Only modem” button. click on it.
Some utilities provide exclusively transfer of the modem mode without additional settings.
How to connect a modem to a tablet? And other ways to connect your gadget to the Internet
You can endlessly talk about the potential and advantages of the Internet, but without connecting to the “World Wide Web” it is impossible to feel its advantages! Modern computer gadgets, in particular tablets, devices are functional, convenient and useful. In some models, manufacturers provide a module for communication with the network. But, for gadgets without such options, and indeed, in order to have an Internet connection, you can use mobile modems. These are external devices consisting of a case, digital content, a SIM card slot and often a data storage device. If you connect your tablet via a modem. select the desired tariff and operator, then you can get an Internet connection anywhere: in a park, in a cafe, on the street, in transport, anywhere where provider networks are spread.
You should pay attention to such models of modems:
- Huawei E3372 is a compact and affordable device that supports 3 / 4G technologies. High-speed, with good reception and transmission, simple and straightforward to use, it is possible to connect an external antenna to improve communication.
- The Huawei E372 is small and light, weighing only 40 grams. There is a connector for a remote antenna. Supports communication standards of 2-3 generations. Integrates into software systems independently, can also be used as a file storage.
- ZTE MF669 is a reliable USB modem with traditional functions. There is a connector for an antenna, supports communication technologies of 2-3 generations, there is a slot for site: 3gstar.com.ua microSD 32 GB to use the device as a flash drive.
- Huawei K 5150 is a high-speed model that supports GSM / UMTS / LTE networks of Ukrainian and foreign operators, reconfigures itself. Interesting design, high quality materials, functionality, automatic driver installation. There is a slot for a card up to 32 GB, the device can be used as a flash drive. An external antenna will help to amplify the signal; there are connectors on the case to connect it. And Huawei K 5160 with similar characteristics but with a different design and supports 2 antenna technologies, allowing MIMO and panel type designs.
Internet on a tablet via a mobile modem
This option is the most acceptable. Experience shows that devices from ZTE and Huawei have shown themselves best in business. Let’s figure out how to connect a modem to an Android tablet ?
Connection via a modem cable to the tablet, and there is no full-fledged USB connector, is via a USB Host adapter. It can be supplied with the gadget, or purchased additionally.
The tablet can still be connected to the Internet via a laptop
Many modern laptop models are equipped with a Wi-Fi module, through which a wired connection or a mobile modem is used to connect to the Internet. The laptop can be reconfigured and run as a wi-fi router. For this, additional built-in Windows tools are activated. You can also use third-party programs such as Connectify, for example.
What are the modems for tablets with Android?
It is advisable to buy a device free of any firmware, so that you can have an Internet connection through any Ukrainian or world operator.
Connecting a tablet via a Wi-Fi router
Everything is simple here. Many people have routers at home today. And for clients and visitors in different institutions and institutions, free access points are organized in open areas. Networks are free, you can connect to the Internet without restrictions during your stay in one place or another.
The tablet needs to be configured! To do this, we lower the “shutter” with functions, it is important to make sure that the “flight mode” is turned off. Next, we find the Wi-Fi item and activate it by moving the slider. From the proposed access points from the environment, select the desired one, connect to it by entering a password or without it. At the top of the tablet screen in the right corner, the corresponding icon will light up.
Probably, some users, studying the previous access method, thought about how to connect the modem to the tablet directly and is it possible at all. It is possible and not even difficult.
This method is most likely the most productive of all those proposed, since it provides constant stable access to the Internet at any point where your modem will receive a signal.
Smart people also figured out how to connect a USB tethering to a tablet. To do this, you need a 3G modem and an OTG cable.
So, let’s move on to the essence of the method, but before that, Honor needs some points. The 3G modem must be compatible with your tablet, your tablet must not be an ipad as it does not have OTG function. This function allows you to connect USB devices such as flash drives, modems, and so on to Android tablets. The very physical connection of the modem to the tablet should not cause any difficulties for people. To do this, you just need to connect the OTG cable to the 3G modem, and connect the latter directly to the gadget.
Nothing complicated yet. Next, you need to wait a couple of minutes while the tablet synchronizes the modem. Then, in the tablet settings, turn on mobile traffic and create an access point in the “Mobile network” tab.
For everyone else, let’s just say that it’s just the modem settings. It is necessary to switch the 3G modem to the “Modem only” operating mode. To do this, you just need to download the program, which, like most applications in the Android system, will offer several options for the modem, from which you will need to select the “Modem only” mode.
How to connect a modem to a tablet? In fact, everything is simple
In the last decade, information technologies began to develop at an insane speed, every day the science about them is developing more and more. Today it is quite difficult to keep up with all the innovations of foreign and domestic companies. Tablets are one of the most widespread and demanded gadgets in the modern world.
The easiest. is to connect your tablet using a wifi router. Thus, having bought this device and correctly configured it, you will not experience any problems with Internet access, but only within limited limits around the router, and then taking into account the bandwidth of the walls.
Connecting using a Wi-Fi module
The next method will be more complicated. It requires a laptop with Internet access, no matter whether it is via a wire or a 3G modem. Its essence is to use the Wi-Fi module, which is available in all modern laptops, in a slightly non-standard way, namely to reconfigure it so that the Wi-Fi module does not receive waves, but distributes.
If the above methods are not enough for you, do not get discouraged ahead of time, there is another solution.
What is it needed for?
The tablet performs the function of not only a trinket that allows you to easily spend time waiting for something or just dispel boredom in an instant, but it is also a way of communication, a good assistant at work and at home. The intuitive interface makes it accessible to people of all ages and in most cases does not require special knowledge of foreign languages.
However, most applications used on tablets require access to the World Wide Web. Diverse firms have flooded today’s market with a multitude of applications.
There are both ultra-modern models of tablets, which are controlled almost by the power of thought, which cost accordingly, and budget models with reduced software and hardware capabilities. Nevertheless, the Internet is necessary for any model.
How to connect a modem to a tablet
So, back to our question about connecting to the World Wide Web with your newfangled gadget. In fact, everything is not as complicated as it seems. Of course, you can take your device to the service, and everything will be connected there, but why pay someone when you can do it yourself.
There are several ways to use the Internet from your device.
As you already understood, everything is much simpler than it seems at first glance. The main thing. it is to be patient, ask the right questions and strictly follow the instructions.
Now you know how to connect a modem to a tablet in order to be always connected and have unlimited possibilities of the World Wide Web user. You can safely go buy a tablet and use your knowledge when connecting a modem.
It is possible to connect your smartphone to the camera and control it using the screen as a viewfinder. For an ordinary user, this may not be interesting, but photographers will be delighted. To work correctly in tandem, the DSLR Controller application is required. In the Google Play service, its cost is 9 euros. Before buying, be sure to check on the developer’s website if your camera model is supported.
What it is?
USB OTG is an adapter for your smartphone that connects to it via Mini or Micro USB, and on the other side there is a USB port, into which you can insert not only flash drives, but also other types of gadgets. For example, card readers, external drives, game joysticks, keyboards and many other technical innovations that surround us in everyday life. Thus, the OTG function on Android significantly expands the capabilities of the smartphone, providing the user with a wider range of applications for his device.
Also, there are often questions about why device developers do not build in a separate USB port so as not to use third-party adapters.
- Firstly, this is an extra space on the body of the phone. Almost all companies involved in the production of equipment are trying to reduce the thickness of the case and this is a huge advantage over competitors, so no manufacturer will take such a step.
- Secondly, such a port will actively consume additional energy, and this greatly affects the overall battery consumption.
- Thirdly, partners of developers make huge money on the sale of accessories. That is, they added support for USB OTG to Android, aroused interest in their technology, and partners provided the same adapters on the market that are necessary for work. In the end, everyone wins, even the consumer.!
Hardware damage to ports
If the laptop has damaged USB ports or the south bridge on the motherboard, then no way will help to enable the interface. Therefore, if the connectors stopped working after mechanical stress, liquid entering the case, short circuit or other negative factors, then you should take the laptop to the service for diagnostics.
In this article, we will figure out how to connect Android to a computer / laptop via USB as a USB flash drive and be able to transfer information without using a classic flash drive.
This article is suitable for all brands that produce phones on Android 9/8/7/6: Samsung, HTC, Lenovo, LG, Sony, ZTE, Huawei, Meizu, Fly, Alcatel, Xiaomi, Nokia and others. We are not responsible for your actions.
Prior to Android 4.4 KitKat, it was possible to establish a USB connection as a USB flash drive. The PC saw the device as a removable disk and granted the same rights: the user could. and take other actions.
Then, in newer versions of Android, the USB mode was replaced by MTP, in which only the data transfer function remained, and the same formatting does not work.
Configuring the operation of a smartphone or tablet with a modem
The procedure for activating and configuring the network on mobile devices running different operating systems is considered identical and is performed in a specific sequence. So, at the preliminary stage, you need to get data such as username and APN. This can be done on the official website of the operator or by calling the hotline.
If the settings are made automatically when using a smartphone, then in the case of a tablet, manual data entry may be required.
- Armed with the information, you need to open the “Settings” device.
- Go to the “Additional” section.
- Select the category “Cellular network”.
- Find and expand the Data Transfer tab.
- Fill in special fields by entering the parameters provided by the operator.
- Go back two positions, and activate the “Cellular network” option by moving the slider to the right.
Often, during active data transmission in 4G mode, there may be a deterioration in communication. In this case, the system automatically selects a different work format. the order below, that is, 3G. In a similar way, the third generation standard may be replaced by an earlier one. EDGE. This will be indicated by low speed and poor signal quality.
In the event of a similar situation, it makes sense to disable mobile traffic and activate the Wi-Fi connection. But a prerequisite for the implementation of this option is the presence of an active access point near.
Portable drives often have problems connecting via OTG, and not only due to lack of power, but also due to the file system. If there are no problems with FAT32, then with NTFS there are sometimes failures. To solve this problem, we recommend using the StickMount utility, just keep in mind that it requires root rights.
Lifecell modem for laptop and PC
The need of the majority of the population of Ukraine for a permanent and stable Internet connection provided the growth in demand for 4g lifecell modems. With their help, users provide themselves with freedom of movement while maintaining the ability to access the World Wide Web from any device.
How to connect a device
The first step in connecting a modem is choosing the right one. When deciding on a suitable model, it is important to pay attention to a number of parameters:
- the speed required for work: if a regular 3G device is enough for a student, then music lovers and fans of TV series make more demands on the available traffic, a 4G modem is suitable for them;
- price range;
- autonomy: is it planned to connect only within the home or the user is active and regularly moves in space;
- the need to connect several users to the network: large families are recommended to buy a lifecell Wi-Fi router with the ability to simultaneously use the network by 5 devices.
The installation process can be done in two ways:
connect directly to laptop, computer or tablet via USB port;
with the Wi-Fi function, the modem can be used as a portable router.
How to set up a 4g, 3g Life modem
After the user has bought a lifecell modem, it is necessary to carry out its initial configuration:
- Connect the device to a laptop or PC;
- Switch the equipment to the “only modem” mode;
- Run the automatic driver program installed by the manufacturer;
- Start setting up the connection, following the prompts of the conductor;
- After the process is complete, the remote connection will automatically start.
Benefits of mobile modems
Mobile modems are used by all social groups of the population:
- schoolchildren and students;
The universal recognition of the new type of device is associated with the numerous advantages of this equipment from lifecell:
- stable and high-quality communication in any corner of the country (life coverage area is 95% of the territory of Ukraine);
- the ability to connect to the Internet without wires,
- location independence: a laptop connected to a modem can be used at home, in the office, in the park and even in the country, if there is a weak network signal;
- the ability to connect multiple devices, which is especially convenient for large families;
- high speed of data transfer: for lifecell 3G modems. up to 63.3 Mbps, with the support of a laptop 4G connection, you can purchase a 4G modem with access to speeds up to 100 Mbps.
How to increase the speed of the Life modem
If subscribers are not satisfied with the speed of the Internet, and the speedtest program shows a significant decrease in incoming and outgoing traffic, you must take the following steps:
- check the balance on the modem and the timely payment of the subscription fee;
- make an external examination of the SIM card for damage and breakdowns;
- to clarify the meteorological conditions: in a thunderstorm and during sudden changes in the weather, the data transfer rate drops sharply
- if the owner of the device is in motion, wait for a stop and repeat the test.
If the balance is positive and there are no external factors that prevent good signals, you can try the following actions:
- Disconnect the device from the computer and change its location: fix the device away from walls, near a window, lifting it closer to the ceiling. Connect using a USB cable with a length of at least 2-2.5 meters.
- Adjust “Network Settings” of laptop or PC: change the MTU automatically set for TCP / IP in the range of 256 to 4096.
- In order to steadily increase traffic, use an external amplifying antenna for 3G modems. In the city, an antenna with a coefficient value of up to 5db, installed next to the window, is suitable. In suburban areas, a directional amplifying antenna must be used.
How to connect a modem to a tablet
Today we are going to talk about how to connect a modem to a tablet. After all, not every one of them is equipped with an integrated data transmission device, so it is only possible to access the Internet in this way. But don’t worry. There is nothing difficult in this.
To do this, I took a 3g device “Huawei E150”, which came with the MTS-connect. But you can do it with others as well. The main problem is that connecting a modem to a tablet is accompanied by a number of inconveniences. Android gadgets recognize it as several devices, such as a virtual CD-ROM, a flash drive, and, in fact, a modem. This is because Android cannot work with such composite devices.
So how do you connect a USB tethering to your tablet? First, it needs to be switched to single modem mode. This can be done using special utilities. Install one of them on your computer with the Windows operating system, and then connect your 3g modem to it. Check it to see if it works. If everything is in order, save all the data located on the virtual cidirome of this device. Run the installed utility. In my case, it was Hyper Terminal.
You will see a window describing the connection. You can enter whatever you want here. Press the “Enter” key and the following window will appear. Find the last column and select your modem there, then confirm with the “Ok” button. Just close the new window with the “Cancel” button.
We continue to figure out how to connect the modem to the tablet. Click the “Properties” button in the program bar. In the window that appears, go to the parameters tab. After that, click on the button responsible for the ASCII parameters. Put a check mark on the top in the second column of the display of the entered characters on the screen and press the “OK” button again. Confirm all settings. After closing the windows in the main window, the cursor should blink.
After that, turn on “Caps Lock” and type the AT command, then press “Enter”. If you see “Ok”, then the connection with the modem is established. Enter the command AT ^ U2DIAG = 0. It will put your device into single modem mode. Press “Enter”, then “OK” appears. That’s it, now close the utility window by responding positively to the offer to interrupt the connection, and also refuse to save the connection.
Now you need to make sure that the sidirome emulation is turned off. To do this, go to “My Computer” through Explorer and see if there is a new disk there. If in the future you need to restore the modem to its original state, then you will always have the opportunity to do this.
Now how to connect the modem to the tablet. Launch your Android device. Connect a modem to it and wait for it to be recognized. After that, go to the settings, there select the wireless networks where you will need to launch the access points. That’s it, now we indicate the settings provided by the mobile operator. These include: username, dialing number, and password. Once you do this, restart your tablet.
If you did everything correctly, then when it boots up again, you will see the 3DG icon. You can go online. Now you know how to connect a modem to your tablet.
How to connect a 3g modem to a tablet if the tablet only has a MicroUSB connector? At the same time, a difficulty arises: modems designed for a full-fledged USB port can interact with the tablet only through a special adapter, the so-called OTG cable. This is how it looks:
After connecting the modem to the tablet, you need to install the device drivers. The drivers come with it. Next step: go to security settings and disable PIN control. The following setting is required and you need a computer to do it:
- We go to the “Control Panel” on the computer and select “Network and Remote Access”. Right-click on the active connection icon and click on “Disconnect”. thereby breaking the connection between the computer and the Internet.
- We go to the “Device Manager” and go to the node “Modems”.
- Select our device, open its properties window (all with the same right mouse button) and remember the port number.
- Then we launch the “Hyper Terminal” utility, enter an arbitrary name and indicate the memorized port number.
- In the utility window menu, select the item “File” = “Properties” and go to the tab “Settings”.
- On this tab you will find a button labeled “ASCII Setup”. click on this button.
- After specifying the launch options (checkmark in the figure below). click on the “Ok” button.
- A terminal window appears, in which you need to type the command AT ^ U2DIAG = 0. The terminal will answer “Ok”, after which the modem can be removed from the computer.
Let’s move on to solving the main problem: how to connect a 3g modem to an Android tablet, naturally assuming that it is an external 3g modem for the tablet that is used.
We connect from a tablet via a modem
Various equipment can be used as a mobile subscriber of a home WI-FI network: laptops, smartphones, and tablets. The smartphone display is too small and inconvenient for full-fledged operation. it is more a toy and a website viewer than a full-fledged computer. The laptop is too bulky.
In contrast, a tablet is an ideal mobile device. it is lightweight and has a screen with sufficient diagonal. Powerful enough for work and play. Our article is devoted to those who preferred this technique. Here we will look at the nuances of connecting a tablet. Or rather, let’s figure out how to connect the modem to the tablet. Why is it 3G that attracted our attention? There are reasons for this:
- Independence from wires.
- The modem is not a router. it is small in size and you can take it with you wherever you go.
- The modem provides a high quality connection.
- The modem is extremely easy to set up, and only one USB port is enough to connect it.
Whether it is convenient or not. judge for yourself. Everything would be fine if any modem could be connected to any tablet. However, not all so simple. Not all models can be used for this purpose. a modem for an Android tablet must meet some requirements, which we will consider below. So, our task is to connect a USB modem to a tablet with the Android operating system installed on it.
The modem connected to the tablet with Android needs to configure the parameters of the mobile network.
- Going to the network configuration section, activate the “Data transmission” checkbox.
- Then we insert the device into the USB-port of the computer and wait 30 seconds. All this time the connected device will blink its lights. As soon as the blinking stops, you can continue setting.
- Go to the section of additional network settings and select the menu item “APN access points”.
- Create a new point using the “New access point” menu item.
- In response, you will need to specify the connection parameters. Whether it is possible to connect without them is a rhetorical question. Therefore, if you do not have this data, then refer to the website of your provider, there is all the necessary information. True, this is unlikely to be needed, since when buying a modem from a provider, all data, as a rule, is already entered into the device.
- We save all the changes made (by selecting the “Save” menu) and check: whether the green indicator is lit opposite the name of the access point. If it is on, it means that everything is in order and our modem is ready to work. Sometimes you have to wait a while before the signal appears. Two other indicators are also a symptom of a successful network connection: 3G and GPRS icons on the notification panel.
- If there are no signals, then try restarting the tablet. it often helps. Sometimes, after a full reboot, you have to wait a few minutes. Don’t worry, a working modem will definitely be able to connect to the network.
- Next, we launch the browser and try to enter the first page that comes across (for example, the Google search engine). Sometimes it happens that the indicators are on, and the Internet is not available. This is possible in the absence of Root access rights to the tablet. It is not difficult to solve this problem using the ClockWorkMod Recovery utility.
Well, that’s probably all. The third “G” is at work. You can read on the net how to connect a 4g modem to an Android tablet.
We present the most common case: we have a tablet (Android), to which we want to supply the Internet. There is no connection to regular Wi-Fi, but there is a USB modem at hand. You need to somehow connect this USB-modem to the tablet and start the Internet on it. Can this be done? Usually yes!
The task is defined, now you will need to go directly to the conditions for its implementation. I note right away that if something deviates from this plan, nothing will work out with a high probability, you will need to look for solutions in the direction of classic Wi-Fi (even if from a modem with the ability to create an access point). We will not consider solutions with iOS and Windows. only classic Android.
I list the minimum required for a successful connection:
- The tablet. The newer the Android, the better, there will be fewer driver problems. There should be OTG support (this is a technology that allows not only “giving”, but also receiving data via USB. that is, not only connecting the tablet as a USB flash drive to a computer, but also connecting any devices via USB: hard drives, flash drives, modems).
- OTG cable. Usually, if the tablet supports OTG, this cable is included. On one edge it has a tablet input (miniUSB, microUSB), and on the other, a connector for connecting standard USB devices. If you suddenly have a full-size USB connector on your tablet, the task is simplified, we connect via this USB.
- Modem. Ideally, some kind of unlocked Huawei or ZTE, so that the history of setting up the modem does not turn into something separate. Specific models are not so important. usually everything starts without problems.
- SIM card. We insert it into the modem. The main thing here is that the SIM card should be allowed to distribute the Internet quietly. And it happens that you seem to be connecting everything correctly, but there is no Internet. the operator is already intervening here. And the story of circumventing its limitations is beyond the scope of this tutorial.
The most ideal case
- Insert the SIM card into the modem.
- We connect the modem via the OTG cable to the tablet.
- The Internet should appear on the tablet immediately. In special cases, you should still go to Settings. Mobile network (make sure Data transfer is enabled).
By the most common case, there is a good
If the tablet does not see the modem at all. read on.
Connecting a USB modem to a tablet: instructions and tips
Friends! Welcome to our tutorial article. Today we will try to connect a regular USB modem to the tablet. The task is not entirely trivial, but we will try to come up with something.
Since, depending on the tablet and modem you are using, this instruction may stop working, I recommend sharing your positive and negative experiences in the comments. This will greatly help other readers of this article.
Possible connection features and problems
As you can imagine, in the ideal case, everything should work on its own. If something went wrong, I recommend running through the following list, but you never know, some of these thoughts will successfully superimpose on your situation.
- Many people write about the application “3G Modem Mode Switcher for ZTE and Huawei”. There was no need to install it personally. Installed on the computer to which the modem is connected. The program allows you to set the “Modem only” mode on the modem. This will prevent the tablet from trying to identify it as a simple drive. Solves most of the definition problems. The use of other programs is advisable only for a specific version of your modem with verification on specialized forums, here you just have to look for yourself, tk. you can’t predict all cases.
- Do you know that to connect to the operator’s network, you need to enter some connection parameters (for example, an APN access point)? Usually these parameters are registered automatically, the same happens when the modem is connected. But for some operators there are no presets. so you have to enter everything by hand (especially if the tablet version is not new). In this article, all these settings are presented chewed up. In general, they need to be entered in “Settings. Wireless networks. APN access points”.
- Usually, after a successful connection, the usual data transfer icon (3G, 4G, etc.) appears on our phones. But on some models of the tablet it is not, while the Internet is working fine. Just use it and ignore it.
- Check the modem first on the computer. Does it connect normally there? Sometimes such a connection can reveal a problem in the spirit of the modem’s requirement to enter a PIN code. we do everything so that the Internet appears on the computer just when the modem is connected to USB, this is how it should work on the tablet.
- Some modems require external power supply, do not forget to connect it with the available connector. Tablet power may not be sufficient. In this case, the power indicator will be on, but the initialization and connections themselves will not occur.
- We remember that some operator modems (MTS, Megafon, Beeline) do not really like such operations, here you need to go to specialized forums and first think about their unlocking / fixes.
That’s all. But most importantly, remember that there are options when the connection is really impossible. But in this case, do you really need this connection? Maybe there are workarounds?
A simple way to connect a 3G modem to a tablet
and more tablet users are faced with the problem of connecting wireless Internet to an Android tablet. Most of the tablets of Chinese origin in a priori support the connection of a USB 3G modem. But quite often it is not possible to connect without problems.
So what’s the reason? Often, the drivers are not working correctly or not. But before proceeding with the instructions for setting up a 3G USB modem for Android, you need to make sure that your cdma USB modem is present in the following list:
- ZTE MF-100
- ZTE MF-112
- ZTE MF-180
- Huawei E171
- Huawei E173
- Huawei E352
This list contains 3G modems that have been tested and are guaranteed to work with tablets with Android OS.
Leave your phone number, we will call you back within 30 minutes and tell you how to do it
Instructions for connecting a 3G modem to an Android tablet
Warning: Any actions to configure the modem you do at your own peril and risk!
- Make sure the device is working properly. Connect it to your PC and install the drivers on the 3G modem from the CD or from the modem itself (in some models the drivers are installed automatically from the device’s Flesh memory).
- It is necessary to switch the gadget to “modem only” mode. A special program 3g modem mode switcher will help you with this. If your modem uses the technology of auto installation of drivers, this may be the reason for it not working correctly with the tablet.
- So, run the 3g modem mode switcher program. We select “only modem”. Modem must be turned on.
- We connect the modem to the tablet
- Launch settings. wireless networks. APN access points
- A menu will appear on the screen where you will need to enter the settings depending on the operator you are using:
|Utel (OGO! Mobile)||3g.utel.ua|
- Reboot the tablet
- We connect the 3G modem to the USB of the tablet. After about 10 seconds, the “3G” icon should appear next to the battery charge indicator.
- We open champagne and celebrate, you are on the Internet!
If your tablet and mts modem still does not work, or you have not yet purchased a device for accessing the Internet, then it will be useful for you to find out the following:
The easiest way to connect the internet to your tablet!
The easiest way to connect wireless Internet to a tablet is to buy a 3G Wi-Fi Router (more about the “3g modem for a tablet” kit).
What is 3G Wi-Fi Router and how to use it?
3G Wi-Fi Router is the same 3G modem, but with the ability to distribute Wi-Fi. Those. you get a portable, miniature router that is able to provide all your devices (laptop, tablet, smartphone, etc.) with the Internet.
If you want to work with the Internet from a computer, you can use, for example, the MTS Connect modem.