Windows 7 disk
So, you have verified that the computer meets the system requirements, but the installation still does not go. My next tip is for those who use pirated software, download another disk image.
Email me at email@example.com and I’ll try to help you if you haven’t found such a Windows 7 distribution.
Another reason why Windows 7 does not install is that the BIOS is incorrectly configured. If the computer does not see the installation disc, then you must check the settings in the BIOS so that the CD / DVD Rom comes first. That is, you need to set the download priority. This procedure is necessary because the computer does not understand where to boot from, because before it started booting from the hard disk, but now you need to install Windows and therefore you must “tell” it that now you need to start booting from the disk that you insert into drive.
To enter the BIOS, when you turn on the computer (as soon as you pressed the button to turn on the computer), press the Delete, F1 or ESC button continuously. These buttons are almost always used to enter BIOS, but sometimes they assign different keys. You can try these buttons or see them on the screen when the computer boots up.
If your BIOS is Phoenix AwardBIOS, then you will see the following data on the screen:
Then you need to select Advanced BIOS Features and find the First Boot Device item there. Select it by pressing Enter and then specify the CDROM. Next, save the changes by pressing the F10 key.
Note: make settings without a mouse, all operations are performed using the keyboard.
Then you need to go to the Boot section and find 1st Boot Device in it. Select 1st Boot Device and press Enter. This field is for your CD drive.
As in the previous case, press the F10 button in order to save the data. I talked in more detail about setting priorities in: “How to set boot priorities in BIOS”.
Burning a disc and checking it
Even if the disk image is normal, but there were errors during recording, this will also affect the installation. When you write the data you need, I recommend setting the low speed of 4x. 24x. You specify this speed in the program through which you write the image with Windows 7.
Also in the programs for recording CD and DVD discs there is a good, and the main necessary function is “write check” or something like that. That is, when you write data to disk, you can not only specify the burn speed, but also check the data after writing. Thus, you will eliminate the problem that the disc was written with errors.
Note: if your disk is scratched and you are trying to install from this Windows disk, but you get errors, then overwrite this disk.
Tip: if there are scratches on the disc and they are small, then you can do a little trick. When an error appears that the file cannot be copied, then remove the disc, ruin it and insert it back. Sometimes this procedure helped me when there was no empty disk at hand.
So, the retraining for the installation is over. That is, you recorded the desired image and, most importantly, checked the recorded data for errors. Now you can go to the hardware of the computer and its settings.
If you did all the above points correctly, then the first thing to check is the floppy drive. Sometimes, when installing Windows, the drive may poorly read data on the disk.
I want to say right away that it happens that the drive seems to spin the disk, but the installation is very slow and never ends. To complete the installation or start, you need to connect a different drive (from a different computer). You can also ask your friends for a portable USB CD Rom. a very cool thing when there is no floppy drive in netbooks and office computers.
To minimize the risk of the installation process freezing, first make sure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements. They are listed below:
RAM must be more than 1 (for 32-bit system). 2 GB (for 64-bit system).
Processor recommended to use at least 1 GHz.
Make sure there is enough hard disk space. It must be at least 20 GB.
And, of course, a video card supporting DirectX 9.0 and higher.
Note: if you are going to install Windows, then you should know the approximate characteristics of the computer.
From my own experience, when a device does not meet the system requirements of the system, the installation can take not one hour, but as much as 4-6 hours. And as a result, the system can freeze pretty much, even when the computer boots. So no need to experiment, or change the components of your computer, or think about changing the version of Windows.
What steps should be taken to install Windows
Every user who has installed Windows more than a dozen times on a computer or laptop to his friends or colleagues has encountered problems that prevented him from installing Windows. I did not choose the topic of today’s article by chance, because recently such an incident happened to me and I remembered that I had not talked about this problem on the blog. Well, we need to improve! First of all, you need to understand why Windows 7 is not installed from a flash drive or wild on your computer or laptop (this is the system that will be discussed now). Although we will talk about this system, all methods can be considered for other systems as well. Thus, you will find out why Windows 8, XP and 7 are not installed.
In fact, there can be a lot of nuances, but I will try to mention the main problems and situations. And I will give tips that will help you find a way out of this situation. I hope that one of the ways I suggest will help you install Windows 7.
RAM and hard drive
Sometimes unexpected things happen. breakdown of computer components. You can check your RAM and hard drive just in case. When there are problems with the hard disk, that is, there is a large percentage that errors may appear when installing Windows.
If these components are present, you can replace them without checking them. If Windows is successfully installed, you will need to check them to know exactly which component did not work for you.
Why do I advise you to simply replace these parts for a while? Testing takes time, if you have a lot of it, then you can test them as much as you like. But if there is no time, and you need a working system already yesterday, then it is better to follow the above.
Also, a complete formatting of the hard disk may affect the result and you can try to replace the hard disk and floppy cable.
As I said at the very beginning, there can be many problems with installing Windows 7. Now I have described the possible reasons why it is not possible to install the operating system. Also pay attention to errors that appear during installation. If you know the error, you can find a forum on the Internet or even an article that describes this problem.
For those who install Windows for the first time:
Disabling Secure Boot
If the laptop does not boot from a USB flash drive, and it is a laptop with a UEFI BIOS, the problem may lie in the activity of the Secure Boot function. a secure boot mechanism that prevents booting from devices based on unsigned software, which are many Live disks, some Linux distributions and installation processes of older versions of Windows. Learn more about Secure Boot and how to disable this feature in this article.
Boot priority setting in the hard drive selection menu
The inability to prioritize the BIOS flash drive boot is a problem not only for laptops, but also for PCs, and usually it is due to the fact that many programs for writing bootable media create a bootable USB flash drive according to the principle of arranging a hard drive. In such cases, the flash drive does not appear in the general list of prioritizing boot devices; it must be looked for in a separate menu where the priority hard drive is determined. In this menu, USB plug-in drives are listed as hard drives along with the laptop’s internal storage devices. HDD or SSD. But even users who have previously encountered this nuance may not remember it, since they may be misled by the fact that in the BIOS a UEFI flash drive is listed as a UEFI boot device (with an addendum in front of “UEFI”). It appears, but in fact the laptop does not boot from such a flash drive. If the bootable USB flash drive is not UEFI or we are dealing with a laptop based on a regular BIOS, the flash drive must be set in the hard drive priority menu. For example, in the tested Asus laptop, you need to go to the “Boot” section, in the “Boot Option # 1” column, install the hard drive.
Then go down to the “Hard Drive BBS Priorities”.
In the general list of boot devices, the flash drive will not appear as a UEFI device, and it will boot from it.
But it will come true if the Legacy compatibility mode is active.
Divorces when buying and selling an iPhone on Avito: new deception schemes
How to reinstall Windows or try to reanimate the operating system using Live-disks if the laptop does not boot from the USB flash drive? This does not mean rare devices that, in principle, do not support booting from USB media, but modern laptops that provide for booting from a USB flash drive, but do not offer a clear mechanism for setting the boot priority from the start. Using the example of one of the tested Asus models below, we will understand the specifics of booting from a USB flash drive of modern laptops and consider the common reasons why problems may arise with this case.
Why Windows 10 can’t install from a flash drive and troubleshooting
Previously, launching operating systems required the help of a specialist, but today every user can try to do it on their own. You can find enough detailed guides that will help him with this. One of the most popular ways that does not cause much difficulty is from a USB flash drive. Windows 10 is pre-recorded on it, which, as a rule, is easy to install.
Inappropriate hard disk partition structure
It’s also worth taking a closer look at the hard drive. Perhaps the OS does not want to install because it lacks the required amount of RAM. Due to the files stored on the device, the program cannot be started. She lacks the resources she needs to work.
To fix this problem, you need to clean your hard drive. It is not necessary to delete files that are stored there. It is enough to use a USB with a large amount of memory, for example, 16GB or 32GB, to which information is transferred. If the download still does not start, you can rule out the problem.
Inconsistency of “hardware” and problems of its performance
The laptop generates an error even if the OS and hardware do not match. For example, you cannot install Windows 10 designed for a 32-bit system on a PC designed for 64-bit. To determine the downloadable version, you need to click “Start”, call the control panel and select the “System” section. It will provide information about the type of system.
There are also other parameters that you can familiarize yourself with in order to have an idea of the device. This is the processor and the amount of available memory. After learning this information, you can go to the Windows website and find the appropriate file. If the PC still gives an error, the cause of the problem remains the same.
BIOS security function (UEFI)
The program might not start due to a security feature in the BIOS. It appeared in 2012 and was aimed at protecting PC users from breakdowns. UEFI blocks access to an external drive and prevents you from using the files that are stored on it. It can be turned off.
This is done through the BIOS. On the blue screen that appears after pressing certain keys, the section responsible for security is selected, the corresponding function is selected, and a shutdown occurs. After that, the PC restarts, and the splash screen hangs for a while. When the device is rebooted, you can try to install the operating system again.
USB flash drive problem
However, if the program is still not installed, it can be assumed that the problem is related to a malfunction of the flash drive. This happens quite often, because most drives are made of poor quality and quickly deteriorate.
Therefore, it is recommended to buy devices from trusted manufacturers. This will save not only time, but also nerves.
For starters, pay attention to the USB and make sure it doesn’t boot. You can download a program to your laptop that scans external devices and identifies problems in their work, or try to find another USB flash drive. Honor has its volume. RAM should be at least 8GB. If after these steps you still cannot start the installation, then the problem is different.
If the flash drive opens, but the program does not start, the problem may be related to the package of files. Some of them may be missing, damaged, or incorrectly archived, resulting in an endless installation. The device tries to start the OS, but cannot do it, because it does not see the necessary material for this, and the operating system does not boot.
The installation stick should only contain what you need to run. Additional files and folders from the personal archive must be transferred to a computer or other storage device in advance. It takes a long time, but in some cases it helps to cope with the problem. You can also download Windows 10 and drivers again and zip them again. perhaps a failure occurred during the archiving phase.
For the system to work smoothly, drivers are needed. special programs that must be downloaded separately. They are collected in a folder that is archived and transferred to a USB flash drive. Its unpacking and loading starts automatically. after the launch of the OS. No additional commands are required. the device does everything by itself.
If the drivers were matched or archived incorrectly, a blue screen will appear during installation. It indicates an error. To fix it, you need to understand the essence of the problem. In most cases, it is typical and fits the above points.
Installing Windows 10 from a USB flash drive to a laptop or computer
Windows installation is required in different cases. when replacing the motherboard, when a computer or laptop is heavily infected with viruses, if necessary, get access to new functions, etc. In this case, the best solution. This is a clean system installation from bootable media (USB stick). You can entrust this work to a qualified specialist by calling 8 (495) 782-65-87
There are two options for installing the operating system. First. upgrade Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10 using the installer file from the Microsoft website if you already have a working operating system on your computer. In this case, you download a file that carries out all the update procedures on its own, and saves your data and program shortcuts in the old locations. all you need to do is read the messages on the screen and confirm the actions by clicking the “Next” button. The computer will restart several times during the update process. To update, download the installer file and follow the instructions of the installation wizard
Second option. installing Windows 10 from a bootable USB stick. It is required in cases, for example, when Windows does not load on the computer. Using a flash drive, you can also access your data before installing the operating system in order to transfer it to a secure location. For the convenience of saving data, write the Total Commander program to the USB flash drive. For a clean install of Windows 10, you will need any USB stick with a capacity of 4 GB or more, since the unpacked image takes about 3.5 GB. After installing Windows, the USB flash drive can be cleaned and used for storing and transferring data
To download the original version of the installer, follow the link and on the official website press the button “Download the tool now”
Run the downloaded file MediaCreationTool.exe (right-click and select “Run as administrator”)
Accept the license terms. click the “Accept” button
If you are upgrading a Windows 7 or Windows 8 computer, in the next window, select the radio button “Upgrade this computer now”, then click Next and follow the instructions of the installation wizard
We will analyze the option of creating a bootable USB flash drive and installing Windows from it. Installation from a flash drive is required if the operating system on the computer or laptop does not load, or there is no access to user data. During the creation process, we will save the Total Commander file manager to the USB flash drive, so that, if necessary, during the installation process, we have access to the disks and can save important files
Select “Create installation media.” And click Next
In the next window, it is recommended to click the Next button without changing the settings state. If you need to create an image with certain parameters, you can uncheck the “Use recommended parameters.” Box and manually select Architecture and Release
If you want to save the image to disk as an iso file, then select the “ISO file” radio button. To create bootable USB media. select “USB flash drive”
Insert the flash drive into the USB port and wait for the driver to install (a pop-up message and an icon in the system tray will appear)
In the window, click “Refresh disk list” and click on the media that appears, then click Next
Wait for the download and installation to finish
In the next window, click the Finish button
If you chose the “ISO file” option when choosing a medium, then click the “Finish” button
Installing Windows 7, 8, 10, inexpensive, calling the wizard at home by phone 8 (495) 782-65-87
This step must be performed if you selected the “ISO file” option when saving a Windows image
Press WinR, type “cmd” without quotes and press Enter. In the console window, type diskpart, then enter the list disk command. Find the disk number of your flash drive among the results of the command. you can distinguish it, for example, by the “Size” parameter. it will be slightly less than the stated volume of the media. in our case it is “Disk 1”
Now, sequentially enter the following commands into the console and after entering each press Enter:
You can also manually convert the file system of the flash drive to NTFS in order to avoid cases when the BIOS will not see it. To do this, open Explorer (WinE hotkeys), find your USB flash drive (in our case, it received the letter G :), right-click and select Properties
Check the type in the “File System” section. in our case it is already NTFS
If the File system. not, NTFS, but FAT32 or other, then you need to execute the “convert” command for your drive letter (in the title of the “Properties” window in the illustration above)
Press WinR, enter “cmd”, in the console enter the command “convert g: / fs: ntfs / x” without quotes. instead of the letter “g”, insert the letter that your flash drive received. Press Enter and wait for the process to finish
Now unzip the ISO image to disk using 7-Zip archiver. open the folder in the image file in Explorer and right-click on it, select 7-Zip in the context menu. Unpack
In the extract window, uncheck the box under the unpack path bar, then click the Browse folder button
In the Browse window find your USB flash drive and select it with the left mouse button, click OK, then OK again in the “Extract.” Wait for the end of unpacking the archive
You can also download the Total Commander program. it can be useful for saving data in case the computer does not boot in the usual way
On such a USB flash drive, you can write any image with the Windows installer downloaded from the Internet (for example, from a torrent resource)
Another option for creating a bootable USB flash drive is in our article “Virus Removal”. such a flash drive is designed to clean the computer from malware and access files on an infected computer that does not start
To boot, you need to restart your computer, wait for the BIOS diagnostic screen, and then press one of the function keys F1-F12. which one. usually signed at the bottom of the screen
For a complete list of BIOS hotkeys, see the link
Installing Windows 7, 8, 10, inexpensive, calling the wizard to your home or office by phone 8 (495) 782-65-87
Depending on the manufacturer of the motherboard, the keys to enter the boot menu may be different (read the hint at the bottom of the BIOS screen)
For AMI BIOS it can be F8, F11, ESC
The bootmenu call key can be disabled in the settings. In this case, go to BIOS. press Del or F2 (these are the most common options)
For AMI BIOS. enable button action in Boot menu
Phoenix BIOS. horizontal menu Main
Now enable the key action. set the value to “Enabled”, then press the F10 key, save the settings and call the bootmenu again
In the Boot Menu section, select your USB flash drive or one of the devices with the word “USB” in the name and press Enter
After the boot starts, the Windows logo will appear on the screen
Installing Windows 7, 8, 10, inexpensive, prices. call the master by phone 8 (495) 782-65-87
If the Windows installation does not start and an error appears instead of the logo, then you must install the boot device manually. go to BIOS
AWARD BIOS. use the DEL key to enter, then select Advanced BIOS Features
Go to Hard Disk Boot Priority
Use the arrow keys to select the item with the name of your flash drive and use the “” and “-” buttons to set it to the first place, and then save the settings. press the F10 key and then “Y”
In the “Hard Drive BBS Priorities” section, set your flash drive to the first place and exit the section with the Esc key. Save your settings. press the F10 key and then “Y”
After that, the download should start automatically. Otherwise experiment with USB settings
For Phoenix-AWARD BIOS, this is the “Integrated Peripherals” section
Install Windows 7, 8, 10, going to your home or office, inexpensive, phone 8 (495) 782-65-87
If you have a product key. enter it in the appropriate field, otherwise click “I do not have a product key”
On the next screen, select the required version of Windows 10 (Pro. Best) and click Next
Check the box “I accept the license terms” and click Next
On the next screen click “Custom”
The next step is to prepare the partition for installation. Usually the partition at the beginning of the disk is selected. in our case, this is a space of 146.5 GB
Attention! If there is important data on the disc. do not forget to save them before formatting, this can be done using the Total Commander program
Installing Windows 7, 8, 10, going to your home or office, prices. call the master by phone 8 (495) 782-65-87
Let’s find out first. what letter is currently assigned to the flash drive: click the “Download” button, then “Browse”. In our case, the flash drive received the letter D:
Press ShiftF10. In the console window, enter D: (you need to enter the letter assigned to your flash drive) and press Enter. Then enter the command “total \ totalcmd” (total. Is the name of the directory, and totalcmd. Is the name of the program file)
If you unpacked the archive into a directory with a different name, then enter the dir command, then the Enter key to see the contents of the directory, and specify the name of the folder. Then enter the command “cd folder name” (cd. Command to change to the specified directory from the current one), press Enter and run the program. type totalcmd and hit enter
After starting the program, you need to press the key from the prompt. in our case it is number three
In the program window, select the sections in the consoles on the left and right, and then save the information you need by pressing the F5 button
After saving important data, close Total Commander, the console window and select the desired partition to install. If necessary, you can format it, delete it, or recreate it using the installer. After selecting the section, click the “Next” button
Installation of Windows 7, 8, 10, home and office visits, prices. call the master by phone 8 (495) 782-65-87
Wait for the end of the first stage of the installation
Now you should go into the BIOS and return the settings to their original state
Install your hard disk as the first boot device, save the settings with the F10 key, press “Y” to confirm
Windows 10 logo should now appear on boot
Wait for the installation to complete (the computer may restart several times)
If necessary, you can add an additional layout (for example, English)
Wait until the end of the creation of your profile (account)
Now set an existing email or create a new one using the installer, then click “Next”
After setting the password, the Windows 10 desktop will open in front of you
Everything will be familiar to you in the interface. desktop, taskbar and slightly extended start menu
Windows 10 independently installs and updates drivers for sound cards, video cards, and network devices. If after installation the sound or the Internet does not work, or the screen resolution is incorrect (too large icons on the desktop), then refer to our materials:
and unpack the image to disk using 7-Zip archiver. open the folder in the image file in Explorer and right-click on it, select 7-Zip in the context menu. Unpack
In the extract window, uncheck the box under the unpack path bar, then click the Browse folder button
You can also download the Total Commander program. it is needed to save data or to run service programs if the computer does not boot
Sometimes the steps shown may differ slightly, but the process is fairly straightforward, and the explanations that appear on the screen during installation allow you to determine the next necessary steps.
Installing Windows 10 from a USB flash drive
This step-by-step guide details how to install Windows 10 from a USB flash drive to your computer or laptop. The guide will also work in cases where a clean installation of the OS is carried out from a DVD, there will be no fundamental differences. Also, at the end of the article there is a video about installing Windows 10, by watching which some steps can be better understood. Also available as a separate material: Installing Windows 10 on a Mac.
As of Fall 2020, when you download Windows 10 for installation using the methods described below, it downloads Windows 10 20H2 October Update. If you have already installed licensed Windows 10 on your computer or laptop, obtained in any way, you do not need to enter the product key during installation (you should click “I do not have a product key” at the appropriate stage). For more information about activation features, see the article: Activating Windows 10 (you can work without activation, see Using Windows 10 without activation). If you just need to fix problems with the installed OS, while it starts, you can use an easier method: How to reset Windows 10 to factory settings or automatically reinstall the OS.
Preparing for installation, booting a computer or laptop from a USB flash drive
Before you start installing the system, take care of your personal important data (including from the desktop). Ideally, they should be saved to an external drive, a separate hard drive on your computer, or to “D drive”. a separate partition on your hard drive, if available.
Another step before proceeding with the installation is to put boot from a USB flash drive or disk into the BIOS (UEFI) of a computer or laptop. To do this, restart your computer (it is better to reboot, and not turn off-on, since the Windows fast boot functions in the second case may prevent you from performing the necessary actions) and:
- Alternatively, go to BIOS (UEFI) and install the installation drive first in the list of boot devices. The BIOS is usually entered by pressing Del (on desktops) or F2 (on laptops) before the operating system starts loading. Read more. How to set boot from a USB flash drive to BIOS.
- Or use the Boot Menu (this is preferable and more convenient). a special menu from which you can choose which drive to boot from this time, is also called by a special key after turning on the computer. Read more. How to enter the Boot Menu.
After booting from the Windows 10 distribution kit, you will see the message “Press any key to boot from CD ort DVD” (does not always appear) on a black screen. Press any key and wait for the installer to start. Possible problem at this stage and its solution: BIOS / UEFI does not see the Windows 10 bootable USB flash drive.
Creating a bootable device for installation
The first step is to create a bootable USB drive (or DVD) with Windows 10 installation files. If you have an OS license (or the licensed system was previously installed on a computer or laptop), then the best way to make a bootable USB flash drive is to use the official utility from Microsoft available at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (Download Tool Now). For more ways to download the original Windows 10, see How to download a Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft.
The process of creating a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive with an original image in a program from Microsoft consists of the following steps:
- After launching the official Microsoft Media Creation Tool, accept the license terms, select “Create installation media”, then select the language and version of Windows 10. At the current time, just select “Windows 10” and the created USB flash drive or ISO image will contain editions of Windows 10 Professional, Home and for one language, the choice of edition occurs during the installation of the system. For almost all modern devices, it is desirable to choose the x64 version.
- In the next window, select “USB flash drive”, then select the connected USB flash drive (data from it will be deleted) and wait until the Windows 10 installation files are downloaded and written to the USB flash drive. Using the same utility, you can download the original ISO image of the system for burning to disk. By default, the utility offers to download exactly that version and edition of Windows 10 (there will be a mark about loading with the recommended parameters), the update to which is possible on this computer (taking into account the current OS).
In cases where you have your own Windows 10 ISO image, you can create a bootable drive in a variety of ways: for UEFI, simply copying the contents of the ISO file to a USB flash drive formatted with the FAT32 file system using free programs such as Rufus ( popular and convenient solution), UltraISO or command line. Learn more about the different methods in a separate instruction Windows 10 Bootable USB Drive.
The process of installing Windows 10 on a computer or laptop
- On the first screen of the installer, you will be asked to select a language, time format and keyboard input method. you can leave the default values, Russian.
- The next window is the “Install” button, which should be clicked to continue, as well as the “System Restore” item below, which will not be considered in this article, but it is very useful in some situations.
- You will be taken to the window for entering a product key to activate Windows 10. In most cases, except when you purchased a product key separately, just click “I do not have a product key.” Activation will occur automatically after connecting to the Internet, if previously licensed Windows 10 was already installed on this computer or laptop. Additional options for actions and when to apply them are described in the “Additional information” section at the end of the manual.
- The next step (it may not appear if the edition was identified by a key, including from UEFI). select the edition of Windows 10 to install. Choose the option that was previously installed (if activation of the assigned digital license is required).
- Read the terms of the license agreement and accept them. After this has been done, click the “Next” button.
- One of the most important points is choosing the type of Windows 10 installation. There are two options: Update (it is possible to perform only if a new system is installed, when an old OS version is installed on the disk). in this case, all parameters, programs, files of the previous installed system are saved, and the old system itself is saved to the Windows.old folder (but this option is not always possible to run). That is, this process is similar to a simple update, it will not be considered here. Custom installation. this item allows you to perform a clean installation without saving (or partially saving) user files, and during installation, you can partition disks, format them, thereby clearing the computer from the files of the previous Windows. It is this method that will be described.
- After specifying a custom installation, you will be taken to the window for selecting a disk partition for installation (possible installation errors at this stage are described below). At the same time, if this is not a new hard drive or SSD, you will see a much larger number of partitions than you saw in Explorer before, an example is shown in the screenshot. I will try to explain the options for action (also in the video at the end of the instruction, I show and tell in detail what and how you can do in this window).
- If you have multiple physical disks on your computer, they will appear as Disk 0, Disk 1 and beyond. Everyone can have multiple sections. Regardless of which drive you install Windows 10 to, Disk 0 will be used to write system files, hidden partitions, and the bootloader. Therefore, ideally, install the OS on Disk 0 (otherwise, if this disk is disconnected, the system on another disk will not start). If, for example, you purchased a new SSD and it is displayed as Disk 1, you can try to find a separate item in the BIOS to indicate the order of hard drives and put the SSD in the first place, or change the SATA cables (if this interface is used) between the two drives, so that the desired disk will appear in the installer as Disk 0.
- If you had Windows preinstalled by the manufacturer, then in addition to the system partitions on Disk 0 (their number and sizes may vary 100, 300, 450 MB), you will see another (usually) partition of 10-20 gigabytes in size. I do not recommend touching it in any way, as it contains a system recovery image that allows you to quickly return your computer or laptop to its factory state when the need arises. Also, do not modify the system-reserved partitions (unless you decide to completely wipe the hard drive).
- As a rule, during a clean installation of the system, it is placed on the partition corresponding to the C drive, with its formatting (or deletion). To do this, select this section (you can determine it by its size), click “Format”. And after that, having selected it, click “Next” to continue installing Windows 10. If you see messages about the impossibility of installing to this section, click on the message to get information about the error (they are discussed later in the instructions). Data on other partitions and disks will not be affected. If you had Windows 7 or XP installed on your computer before installing Windows 10, a more reliable option would be to delete the partition (but not format it), select the unallocated area (unallocated disk space) that appears and click “Next” to automatically create the necessary system partitions by the program installation (or use of existing ones, if available).
- If you skip formatting or uninstalling and select a partition for installation on which the OS is already installed, then the previous Windows installation will be placed in the Windows.old folder, and your files on the C drive will not be affected (but there will be a lot of garbage on the hard disk).
- Best practice: if there is nothing important on your system disk (Disk 0), you can completely delete all partitions of this disk one by one, select a single unallocated space on Disk 0 and click the “Next” button, this will avoid almost any errors and problems. You can create disk D (if required) after installing the system.
- If the previous system is installed on partition or drive C, and to install Windows 10 you choose another partition or disk, then as a result, you will have two operating systems installed on your computer at the same time with the choice of the one you need when you boot your computer.
Note: if, when you select a partition on a disk, you see a message that it is impossible to install Windows 10 on this partition, click on this text, and then, depending on what the full text of the error will be, use the following instructions: The disk has a GPT partition style when installation, The selected disk has an MBR partition table, on EFI systems Windows can only be installed on a GPT disk, We were unable to create a new or find an existing partition when installing Windows 10
- After choosing your variant of the partition for installation, click the “Next” button. Copying Windows 10 files to your computer starts.
- After a reboot, you will not need to do anything for some time. “Preparation”, “Component configuration” will take place. In this case, the computer may restart, and sometimes “hang” with a black or blue screen. In this case, just wait, this is a normal process. sometimes it takes hours. Important: if after a reboot you start the Windows 10 setup program again, just put the boot from the hard disk or SSD in the BIOS or Windows Boot Manager in UEFI, or disconnect the USB flash drive, or do not press any key when prompted to do so.
- The next step is to configure the basic parameters of the system. The first point is the choice of the region.
- The second step is to confirm that the keyboard layout is correct.
- The installer then prompts you to add additional keyboard layouts. If you do not require input options other than Russian and English, skip this step (English is present by default).
- If you have active network adapters, you will be prompted to connect to the Internet. You can do this, especially if you plan to use a Microsoft account. If you need a local account, I would recommend not to connect to the network until the installation of Windows 10. To do this, click on the item “I have no Internet” and “Continue limited installation” in the next window.
- If you have an Internet connection, you will be offered two options for setting up Windows 10. for personal use or for an organization (use this option only if you need to connect your computer to a work network, domain, and Windows servers in your organization). Usually, you should choose the option for personal use.
- The next step of the installation is to set up a Windows 10 account. If you have an active Internet connection, you are prompted to set up a Microsoft account or enter an existing one. You can click “Offline Account” at the bottom left to create a local account (Windows 10 Home latest versions does not have an “Offline Account” option, but it is still possible to create one, see How to create an offline account when installing Windows 10). If there is no Internet connection, a local account is created. When installing the latest Windows 10 versions, after entering the login and password, you will also need to ask security questions to recover the password if it is lost.
- When using a Microsoft account, you will see a prompt to use a PIN to sign in. You will also be prompted to set up OneDrive.
- If you select Offline account, you will be prompted again about the benefits of using a Microsoft account (opt out), and then you will be asked to enter your computer username. Do not enter the name Administrator, as it is assigned to a hidden system account. Any user you create with any name will be a Windows 10 administrator anyway.
- Enter your account password, confirm it, and then select and provide answers to security questions to be used in case you forget your password.
- You will be prompted to enable Windows 10 Activity Log. a new feature that stores a history of programs, documents, websites used and can be accessed from other devices with the same Microsoft account. Enable or disable. at your discretion.
- And the final step of the setup is to configure Windows 10 privacy settings, which include location data transmission, speech recognition, diagnostic data transmission, and the creation of your advertising profile. Read carefully and disable what you don’t need. I disable all items, but if you have a laptop or tablet, you can recommend leaving the Location and Find device enabled, this can help you find it in case of loss.
- After this, the last stage will begin. setting up and installing standard applications, preparing Windows 10 for launch, on the screen it will look like the inscription: “This may take a few minutes.” In fact, it can take minutes or even hours, especially on “weak” computers, you should not forcefully shutdown or restart it at this time.
- And finally, you will see the Windows 10 desktop. the system is installed successfully, you can start configuring and studying it.
Actions after installing the OS on the computer
The first thing to worry about after a clean installation of the system on your computer is to install the drivers. At the same time, Windows 10 will automatically download many device drivers if there is an Internet connection. Most drivers will work fine, but just in case, keep in mind that you can download them:
- For laptops. from the official website of the laptop manufacturer, in the support section, for your specific laptop model. At the same time, even if the official website has drivers only for Windows 8.1, 8 and 7, they can be installed in Windows 10, they will usually work. See How to install drivers on a laptop
- For PC. from the site of the motherboard manufacturer for your model.
- For a video card, from the respective sites NVIDIA or AMD (or even Intel), depending on which video card is used. See How to update graphics card drivers.
The second action I recommend is after successfully installing all the drivers and activating the system, but even before installing the programs, create a complete system recovery image (built-in OS tools or using third-party programs) in order to significantly speed up the reinstallation of Windows in the future, if necessary.
If after a clean installation of the system on your computer something does not work (for example, Windows 10 does not see the second hard drive) or you need to configure something (for example, divide the disk into C and D), you can most likely find possible solutions to the problem at me on the site in the section dedicated to Windows 10, or use the site search in the menu, asking the question in your own words: a solution will most likely be found.