Laptop Charging Light. On, Blinking, or Off
Most modern laptops use a removable lithium-ion battery that provides an average of 3-5 hours of battery life.
After the battery runs out, just connect the AC adapter to the computer to start charging the battery again.
Confirmation of successful battery charging will be a lit indicator on the laptop panel, which, as a rule, is a small light with a battery image.
Under normal conditions, this indicator is highlighted in green (blue, yellow) or another neutral color, but at certain moments it may start blinking, change color to red, or stop burning altogether.
The color indication of the battery, as well as the intensity of its blinking, may differ depending on the brand and model of the laptop, but one thing is intuitively clear. if the charging indicator on the laptop blinks red (or orange), this warns of some problem.
What can the blinking charging light mean? What should I do if the laptop battery charging indicator is off when the AC adapter is connected? The answers to these and other questions are in our review.
Why is the charging indicator on the laptop flashing?
Let’s consider several situations in which the battery charging indicator may blink, including in an unusual color:
- When the laptop is working autonomously, the charging indicator suddenly began to flash red. There is nothing wrong with that. such an alarm indicates that the battery charge level is approaching zero, and you need to urgently shut down or connect an AC adapter to the device.
- On the laptop, the charging light is constantly blinking in green (blue, amber) or another neutral color. This can be observed when the device is closed, but not turned off.
This indication is not a cause for concern, but only indicates that the computer is in standby mode.
- When the laptop is charging, the battery indicator blinks red. If the battery charge lamp continues to blink red even when connected to the mains through a standard charger, this indicates a problem. In this case, the malfunction may be hidden not only in the laptop battery, but also in the power supply itself. To establish the exact cause of the breakdown, you should contact the service center.
Attention! Do not try to open and repair the battery yourself. it is unsafe! The rechargeable battery has its own resource (about 1000 charge-discharge cycles), it may be time to replace the battery.
- Charge light is on when AC adapter is plugged in, but laptop will not turn on.
If the device was completely discharged before connecting to the network, then you should wait a few minutes. the problem should disappear.
If the laptop has been charging for a long time, the corresponding indicator is highlighted in the regular color, but the device does not respond in any way to pressing the power button, then there is a high probability that there are problems with the computer’s video card. The exact cause will be established only by diagnostics.
What to do if the battery charging indicator on a laptop is off
As a rule, in most laptop models, the battery charge indicator does not light up when the device is running on battery power.
This indicator usually starts blinking when the battery level drops below 10%. When approaching a critical charge level, the indicator starts flashing orange or red.
If the charge indicator does not light up when the power adapter is connected, and charging does not work, you should check the contact in the laptop power supply socket. it is often broken if you handle the device carelessly. You should also pay attention to the cable. it may be damaged.
If the battery charging indicator on the laptop is off, but the device is charging and operating normally, then you should check whether the indicator itself is working properly.
Dell charge light blinks continuously while laptop is operating normally
On some modern Dell laptops, where a single LED (white) is used to indicate charge and connect to the network (in earlier models, there were 2-4 separate indicators as standard), some users notice that for no apparent reason it starts constantly blinking during operation, while some specific pattern is missing.
The reason is that this LED can work both in the display mode of charging and notification of the connection of the charger, and in the mode of displaying the activity of a hard disk or SSD.
To switch these two modes, use the FnH key combination (English). just press it and the indicator will work in normal mode again. And the fact that the indication was previously changed is usually associated with accidentally pressing the same key combination while typing.
Dell laptop charge light is blinking. why and how to fix
If you own a Dell laptop, you may find that the charge (battery) indicator is constantly blinking. In this case, various scenarios are possible: on modern Dell laptops with one white LED, it can blink without any system on a fully working device, on older ones it can switch according to a certain pattern between white and orange.
This guide explains the possible causes of the charging LED blinking on Dell Inspiron, Vostro, Latitude, XPS and other models and how to correct the situation where possible. You may also be interested in: How to download the original recovery image for a Dell laptop.
Other situations where the battery LED on a Dell laptop is blinking
On Dell laptops equipped with multiple LEDs and when they flash with a specific system, switching between white and orange (on some models also green), this usually indicates problems, namely:
- Too strong battery discharge or high battery temperature (usually indicated by constant orange blinking, including when charging).
- Damaged battery cells (one of the templates, on the Inspiron 4x orange, once green, but there may be others).
- On not the newest (but also not the oldest) Dell Latitude laptops with three LEDs, different blinking patterns between white and orange are used to indicate hardware problems. details. on the official website: dell.com/support/article/ru/ru/rudhs1/sln155342/diagnostic-and-battery-indicators-for-dell-latitude-notebooks-and-tablets
- Also, the indication may indicate a non-original or not detected by the laptop charging and battery (and Dell laptops are first defined as “native”, and not just immediately take power from them).
In some cases, there is no problem as such: for example, on some Dell laptops, the indicator blinks after replacing (or disconnecting and reconnecting the battery) and disappears after the first charge. Also, for some laptops, BIOS updates were released related to a spontaneously blinking charge indicator (check for updates for your laptop on the official website).
If the cause cannot be determined and the battery is removable (or you know how to disconnect the “non-removable” battery), try disconnecting it and see if the problem persists without the battery and if it reappears when you reconnect it. If the situation does not depend on the presence of a battery, the reason may be in the charger. they are quite capricious at Dell: laptops may not work with non-original and “universal” chargers, as well as in the case of relatively minor damage to the cable or plug / connector contacts (or their pollution).
If you cannot figure out what is the reason for the blinking of the indicator, write in the comments the exact model of the laptop, and also describe how exactly and under what conditions it blinks, perhaps I will be able to suggest the cause and solution.
Just in case, additional material that may be related to the current one: Laptop does not charge. reasons and solutions.
Distribution of new, sometimes interesting and useful materials from the remontka.pro website. No ads and free computer help for subscribers from the author. Other subscription methods (VK, Odnoklassniki, Telegram., YouTube, Yandex.Dzen)
inspiron 5423. I replaced the battery, the indicator 4 orange 1 white began to blink. Turns on for 2 minutes and turns off. Original charger, battery too. After resetting, the BIOS blinks alternately orange. white, three times. When turned on, it also works for 1-2 minutes and turns off. Also in the BIOS, the battery appears and disappears. There is a solution, or the battery is defective?
The contacts on the battery (and in the connector for it) are in order?
Dell xps 13. When you press the power button, it lights up for a few seconds, then goes out. The laptop does not start, does not beep, other indicators are silent. What could it be?
And then did it arise? If after discharging the battery to zero, then put it on charge and let it lie down for an hour.
How to check the laptop power button for a malfunction
To make sure that the power button on the laptop does not really work, you need to diagnose it.
To do this, follow a series of steps:
- Disconnect the device from the network;
- We disassemble the laptop. To do this, turn it over, remove the battery, unscrew all the screws on the case, disconnect the bottom cover;
- We carry out a visual inspection of the button. In most cases, the button is very simple: two contacts are closed when you press on the convex metal diaphragm. Very often, dust accumulates under it, and the contacts themselves become covered with a layer of oxide over time. As a result, when you press the button, the contacts are not closed;
- We call the button. To do this, put the needle tips of the tester on the two contacts of the button and press it. When the button is pressed, the device should emit a characteristic sound signal. If this does not happen, the button does not work;
- We clean the contacts under the metal diaphragm of the button. With tweezers, carefully remove the upper part of the button and use a contact cleaner to remove traces of oxide and other contaminants;
- Putting the button together and retesting it. In most cases, cleaning the contacts allows you to restore the functionality of the button without replacing.
“alt =” ”
If such manipulations did not give a result, and the button still does not work during testing, its complete replacement is required. For this, the old part is soldered out and a new one is mounted in its place.
Laptop does not turn on from the power button. repair overview
An incomprehensible situation, when when you press the power button, the laptop does not show any signs of life, makes the user seriously nervous. A laptop is often used for work, so it involuntarily becomes scary for the fate of the documents stored on it.
Fortunately, these fears are not always justified: in most cases, any malfunction of a laptop, be it hardware or software glitches, can be corrected without damaging the data. over, you can diagnose and eliminate this malfunction yourself.
As practice shows, there may be several reasons why the power button stops starting the laptop. All of them can be divided into two groups. hardware (hardware problems) and software. Let’s consider the most common ones:
PC power failures are the most common hardware problem. Perhaps the laptop battery is completely discharged, and to fix the problem, just put the laptop on charge and wait a little.
- When connecting the power supply, you should pay attention to whether the power indicator, which is usually located on the front of the laptop case, comes on. If the light is off, then the reason should be looked for in the adapter and power wires.
- In this case, you need to check the reliability of the connection of all connectors, make sure that the socket itself is working. To do this, it is enough to connect any other serviceable electrical appliance to it. Next, you should inspect the power cord for damage.
- If the laptop power button is blinking, then this indicates a problem in the power circuit. There is a chance that there is a problem with the internal power supply on the motherboard. In this case, you cannot do without the help of a specialist.
- Battery problems. If the power light is on, but the laptop does not respond to the power button, you should check the battery. To do this, you need to remove the battery, wait a few minutes and try to start the computer without it. If the reason was the battery, the laptop will turn on, but it will only work from the mains. In this case, it remains to purchase a new battery.
Lack of initialization is the main programmatic reason.
In this case, when you click on the “Start” button, the laptop starts, but does not fully load. There may be several reasons for this behavior.
The most common ones are damage to the BIOS firmware, overheating of the processor (for example, due to a dust-clogged cooler), boot from the hard disk does not work, etc.
Some problems of lack of initialization can be solved by yourself.
- First you need to disconnect the hard drive and check if the BIOS splash screen appears when you turn on the laptop. If it appears, it means that the hard drive needs repair or replacement.
- You should also check if the RAM is tightly seated in the socket (it often comes off when hit or vibrated).
- The laptop start button itself may also fail during operation. There may be several reasons for this. from trivial wear and tear and dirt to moisture getting on conductive tracks (for example, when turning on the computer with wet hands).
- To fix the problem in this case, check the functionality of the button and, if necessary, clean or replace it.
How to turn on a laptop without a power button
There are several ways to turn on a laptop without a button.
If the computer is disassembled, you can start it by closing the contacts of the Power button with a screwdriver.
However, this method is appropriate only if you need to make sure that the button itself does not work, and does not interrupt, say, the loop of the laptop power button.
When you urgently need to start the laptop for work, it is easier to use another method:
- We start the computer by pressing and holding the Del key;
- In the BIOSa window, go to the Power Management Setup section, which is responsible for setting the computer’s power consumption;
- Select the Power on Function option, which determines the order in which the computer is powered on;
- To turn on the computer from any key on the keyboard, select “Any Key” in the settings;
- Save the specified parameters (F10), press ENTER.
The power button on a laptop does not work. big consequences of a small breakdown
How unpleasant it can be. you open the laptop once, but you cannot turn it on, because the power button does not work. The most annoying thing is that the laptop itself is working, and it never showed signs of breakdown. What is the reason that the button does not work on a laptop? What can be done about this and how to solve the problem? Let’s get it straight from the start.
The laptop keyboard has a large number of buttons, each of which attaches to small elevators, or elevators. If one of these elevators is damaged, liquid or debris got there, the button stops working.
By the way, to clean the keyboard from debris and dirt, the buttons can be easily removed from their place, or snapped off. But it is not recommended to do this on your own, since you must be careful when removing and installing the buttons. the fastening mechanisms are easily damaged.
Possible reasons for the breakdown of the power button
- The simplest thing that can be assumed when the power button stops responding is trivial wear and tear. It is likely that you have been using your laptop for many years and the keyboard begins to fail in it.
- The second reason, not so obvious, but quite probable, is damage to the button. You can accidentally pick it up with something sharp, breaking the mount. This happens to those who use a laptop with a long manicure and involuntarily clings to the buttons while typing. In this case, it is likely that several buttons are damaged at once, and all of them may stop working in the near future.
- Another reason for the failure can be considered the ingress of liquid on the keyboard area, namely in the place where the power button is attached. Even a drop of liquid can corrode the paths that conduct an electrical signal if it gets under the protective film under the keyboard. And if your laptop does not have protection in the form of a film, then even light splashes of liquid are likely to cause damage, as a result of which. the button on the laptop does not work.
So, we have established a preliminary diagnosis and possible reasons, but the button still does not work, the laptop does not turn on, the work is worth it. Here, most likely, you will not get by with minor repairs, because you will have to check not only the power button itself, but also the entire unit responsible for launching. For the device to turn on, the coordinated work of several nodes and modules that are located on the motherboard is necessary. If the ribbon cable is damaged, the charger connector or the battery, your laptop will not start. And according to external signs, it seems that the laptop power button is to blame for everything.
When using your laptop, take a close look at the indicator lights located on the laptop case and learn to recognize the signals coming from them. Perhaps the battery in your device is completely discharged. and deep discharge can lead to a refusal to work altogether. Is there any voltage coming from the power adapter? Think back if you had any problems with the power connector. Tell the master or receptionist about your observations. All this information will help the foreman to quickly navigate and localize the problem, spending a minimum of time on repairs.
If the cause of the breakdown turns out to be more serious. a problem with the motherboard requiring replacement or restoration, then a global repair is brewing, despite the fact that an external factor is only the refusal of the power button to work. Such repair, by the way, may turn out to be under warranty, then you will not have to pay its cost. But for repair under warranty, you need to contact a service center certified by the manufacturer of your laptop model and have a warranty card with you. over, the warranty period on the coupon must be relevant, as a rule, one to two years.
In a service center operating on high-quality equipment, you can perform even complex repairs. soldering damage, restoring modules and assemblies. But not a single specialist, even the most experienced, not a single special equipment can save your laptop from future problems, since complex motherboard repairs, in principle, are not provided by laptop manufacturers, all of them, as a rule, must be replaced.
The laptop blinks and does not turn on!
How to identify a malfunction?
Is your laptop broken? Are you trying to turn it on, but there is only a blank black screen in front of you? This is a very unpleasant situation, but even in such a situation, you can try to restore its working capacity, or at least try to determine what exactly is faulty in the laptop.
Most often, the cause of the malfunction is one of the components of the laptop’s power system, but sometimes there are more serious malfunctions, which we will also consider in this article. We will begin to identify the faulty component a little later, since it is necessary to start with other steps.
How to identify a laptop malfunction by indication
If your laptop does not have critical damage, then thanks to the external display system (error codes), you can try to determine the malfunction of the laptop or its faulty component.
External indication is LED indicators (“lamps”) of power supply (battery charge), as well as indication (“lamps”) of buttons Caps lock and Num lock laptop keyboard.
Most of the codes below are used on HP notebooks, but most of the codes will work for other manufacturers’ notebooks such as Asus, Acer, Sony, Samsung, etc.
How to identify a laptop malfunction using the Caps Lock and Num Lock indications?
When you turn on the laptop, you need to pay attention to one (or more) indicators located on the buttons Caps lock or Num lock. These indicators (“lights”) will flash periodically. The number of repeated signals will indicate an error code.
Blinks are constant with pauses between each sequence.
- Blinks 1 time. CPU malfunction;
In this case, there may be a problem with the power supply of the processor. For an accurate determination, it is better to contact the service center, since a malfunction of the central processor may be the result of some other malfunction.
- Blinks 2 times. BIOS error;
If an error occurs in the functioning of the BIOS, then when such an error is detected, the laptop will restart and the BIOS recovery process will automatically start. After rebooting, there will be a message on the screen stating that the BIOS has been recovered from an error.
If the automatic correction of BIOS settings fails, follow these steps to manually restore the BIOS:
Continuous blinking and other types of non-standard indications. this may be the result of other, sometimes more serious problems with laptops.
If flashes are followed by a sequence of long and short flashes.
- BIOS error:
2 long / 2 short blinks. The main BIOS area (DXE) is corrupted and there is no recovery binary image available.
Blinks 2/3. Onboard controller policy requires user to press a specific key sequence
2 long blinks / 4 short blinks. the built-in controller checks or restores the boot block
3/2. the built-in BIOS controller timed out to return after memory initialization;
3/3. The onboard BIOS timed out to return after graphics initialization;
3/4. the mainboard is reporting a power failure (scrap symbol);
3/5. the processor is not detected;
3/6. the processor does not support the enabled function
- Temperature conditions:
4/2. processor overheating detected;
4/3. overheating of the ambient temperature was detected;
4/4. MXM overheating detected;
5/2. the built-in controller cannot find valid hardware;
5/3. the built-in controller has timed out waiting for the BIOS;
5/4. the embedded controller timed out waiting for the BIOS to return after initializing the system graphics;
5/5. the onboard controller rebooted the system after detecting a possible lockdown due to the use of the system health timer, automated system restore timer or other mechanism.
How to troubleshoot a laptop using the power and battery indicator
Power and battery indicator indicates the operating status of the AC adapter (power supply) and laptop battery.
If the power and / or battery indicator blinks when the notebook is turned on or while it is running, it means that there is either a problem with the power adapter or a problem with the battery.
- Power indicator is off. Low battery or faulty battery, power adapter;
Determining laptop malfunctions using the power and battery indicator
The Power and Battery Indicator indicates the operating status of the AC adapter (power supply) and laptop battery (battery). If, when you turn on the laptop or while it is running, you notice the blinking power and battery indicator, then this means that there is a problem with one of these two components: either the power adapter is faulty or the battery is having a problem.
Using the information below, you can try to identify the faulty component.
The second is to try and check the warranty on your laptop. At this stage, you will also need the serial number of your device (usually located on the laptop case (bottom) or under the battery).
In the photos below, you can find an example of what the serial number looks like on laptops from different manufacturers.
This information will help in determining the warranty status of your laptop, so as not to self-medicate if your laptop is still under warranty.
You can skip this step if you are sure that your laptop is out of warranty.
The power indicator is on, the laptop does not turn on: causes and elimination of the problem
In some cases, it turns out that, despite the fact that the power indicator is on, the laptop does not turn on. Why does this situation arise? What do you need to pay special attention to? What may be required to correct this situation? Sorting out all the issues that arise is actually not as easy as it might seem at first glance. The personal computer is a rather unpredictable piece of equipment. Power-up problems can be the result of many failures. Some users are in a hurry to go to service centers. This is not recommended. First, it is advisable to independently diagnose the problem that has arisen. It may be possible to cope with the situation without outside help.
The laptop won’t turn on even though the power light is on? There are various reasons for this phenomenon. The first thing you might think about is a problem with the video card. In the case of a stationary PC, it is quite easy to detect and fix such a breakdown. To do this, just take out this component and connect it to another machine. But in the case of laptops, the user will have to try. If you suspect a malfunction or breakdown of the video card, it is recommended to contact the service centers for help or call the system administrator for help. You don’t even have to try to diagnose the problem yourself. The laptop usually turns on by itself. you can hear the cooler work. But there is no picture on the screen. Sometimes you can even hear the operating system loading.
If the power indicator is on, but the laptop does not turn on and the problem with the video card is excluded, then the monitor may be damaged or broken. This is an extremely rare occurrence that sometimes occurs in practice. If the display is broken, then the reasons for the breakdown are likely to be the same as in the case of the video card. In this case, there will be no image on the monitor, but the sound of turning on the OS will appear. You will not be able to deal with this problem on your own. Your only option is to buy a new laptop. You can try to contact the service center under similar circumstances. Perhaps they will be able to repair the display. Usually, after such a repair, the devices do not work for long. Ultimately, you still have to replace your laptop with a new one.
The following possible situation can be corrected without assistance. What if the power light is on but the laptop still won’t turn on? The main reasons for this phenomenon are a crash or a factory reset. Perhaps the BIOS settings are out of order. It is for this reason that the problem in question could arise on the laptop. In this situation, it is recommended to reset the BIOS and the computer should then be fully operational.
What else could have caused this problem? If we are talking about a new laptop that worked before, then we should not exclude the absence of any components. If the laptop itself turns on, but nothing is displayed on the screen, and the NumLock and CapsLock buttons do not go out, then the BIOS may be initializing. Probably, the laptop does not have RAM or a processor. If we are talking about a device that previously functioned, then the reason may lie in the breakdown of the components listed above.
In some cases, it happens that despite the power indicator is on, the laptop still does not turn on, although it worked normally before. The hard drive is causing the problem. One small crash is enough for the computer to refuse to start. In this case, the power button will still be lit. You may also notice that the fan is operating normally. In this case, the NumLock buttons and others light up and go out, as expected. It is recommended to disassemble the laptop and disconnect the hard drive. Now try switching on again in this state. It did not help? Then you can try again to gently attach the component. If the problem was a crash, then it should go away.
What if the power light is on but the laptop still won’t turn on? Diagnosing the problem in this case will require certain knowledge from the user. Do not rush to give your computer for repair. It should be borne in mind that most of these problems are usually solved with the help of a professional. You can solve the situation yourself if the problem is with the battery. She was probably just discharged. Then it will be enough just to connect the power to the network and the computer and try to turn on the devices again. It is better to wait a few minutes before pressing the laptop power button. This will allow the battery to receive some power. This technique turns out to be quite effective. Some experts also recommend removing the battery from the laptop completely and then plugging the power cord into it. After that, you need to turn on the computer and observe the situation. If the computer is working at full capacity, then nothing else needs to be done. Otherwise, the source of the problem will have to be addressed elsewhere. Practice shows that a discharged laptop or battery problems are quite common. These problems are eliminated quite easily and without outside help.
What to do if Samsung laptop won’t turn on? In this case, the power indicator is on and the cooler is working. The following reason is quite rare. It is almost impossible to diagnose it yourself. This problem can appear when the laptop is damaged in the south or north bridge. Why does this situation arise? Bridge failures can be caused by various causes, such as short circuits due to temperature differences. If, because of this, the USB port on the laptop is damaged, then the appearance of the problem under study will be quite likely. In this case, there will be only one method of fixing this problem. repairing damaged components. Buying a new PC will be the most effective way to solve this problem. Repaired components in laptops are unlikely to last long. Here, each user will have to independently decide what to do.
If the laptop refuses to turn on, but the device has previously functioned for some time, then you should think about the effect of viruses on the device. Often, a computer infection leads to the fact that the computer simply stops functioning normally. In some cases, it comes to BIOS damage by viruses. In this case, there may be problems with turning on the laptop. It is unlikely that you will be able to fix the problem yourself. As with most of the previously mentioned cases, it is best to take your computer to a service center right away. Here you will be helped to restore the laptop to work and cure it from viruses. Fortunately, this scenario is quite rare. However, you should not exclude it, especially in cases where the user himself admits the presence of viruses on the computer. In some cases, problems associated with turning on the laptop occur after the OS is treated. In this case, it will be enough to first reinstall the BIOS, and then the operating system. After that, no problems will bother you.
Let’s summarize preliminary results. To begin with, it is worth noting that diagnostics and troubleshooting in most cases boil down to calls to the service center. often than not, many do just that. After all, a laptop is a rather complex device. It is actually not as easy to repair it yourself as a stationary computer. If you cannot figure out on your own why the computer does not turn on, then you can immediately contact a specialized service center for help. If you suspect a specific problem, it is imperative to inform the service center staff about it.
Power indicator is blinking
- Plug in the power adapter, make sure the battery indicator is on
- Leave the laptop in this mode to charge for 15-30 minutes, then disconnect the power adapter, try to turn on the laptop
- If the laptop turns on, you need to test the battery using a special program
- If the laptop does not turn on, you need to disconnect the battery and connect only the power adapter
- Make sure the power light is on, then try turning on the laptop
- If the power light does not turn on, the power adapter is defective or poor contact in the adapter connector. If possible, try connecting another, the same power adapter, for a more accurate diagnosis of the problem.
If the battery charge indicator is blinking, it means that the battery has insufficient charge to turn on. To fix this problem, try the following:
- Connect the power adapter to your laptop and try starting it
- Check all connections and connectors, and that the corresponding indicator lights up when the power adapter is turned on.
Attention! If you are having trouble identifying a faulty component in an HP notebook or non-HP notebook computers, it is best to contact a service technician. Do not “self-medicate” if you are not an expert in this field.
Also, you can use the “Feedback Form” at the end of the article and ask your question to our technical specialists.
If this article was useful to you and the information presented in it helped to solve your problem, please share the link to our site with your friends and acquaintances using the social buttons below. This will help the development of our site, thank you!