Why does my laptop get very hot??
The reason for overheating the laptop is always the same. it is the gasket between the chair and the device. In simple terms and without sarcasm, these are the wrong actions of the user. There are a number of recommendations for using laptops.
- They cannot be used on soft surfaces. We understand perfectly well that watching a movie in the crib before bed is a sacred thing. But, unfortunately, it is not useful for iron. The blanket simply blocks the hot air outlets, which causes the laptop to heat up. In this case, the device may even turn off: this is how the processor overheating protection works. When a certain threshold is exceeded, the CPU shuts down completely to avoid damage.
- Also, you cannot use your laptop in the open sun. Does the idea of going outside in summer and surfing the Internet in the fresh air seem harmless? However, the air temperature directly affects the temperature inside the laptop. And if the sun is hot from above, then we hope that you have brought a couple of fresh eggs with you. The omelet will undoubtedly be excellent. A folding device is used as a frying pan. In general, take care of your laptop during the summer season.
- Reason: dust. This is the main enemy of any electronics. In addition to clogging the cooling system (and in laptops it is very compact), you can get a short circuit. Most often this concerns the motherboard of the device. Clean your device regularly (here are detailed instructions), and if you don’t decide to do it yourself, take it to a service center.
- Finally, don’t forget about thermal paste. It is designed to better dissipate heat from the processor, but over time it dries out and loses its properties.
The laptop is very hot: what to do?
Have you noticed that the laptop is increasingly reminiscent of a red-hot brick? This is not normal: we explain how to deal with it.
Which came first, the laptop or its overheating? The question is philosophical, but every laptop owner sooner or later faces high temperatures. Due to their compactness, portable devices are equipped with a weak cooling system, which does not always cope with heavy loads and becomes clogged with dust faster. Well, for portability you have to pay in Uncle Celsius degrees. In today’s article we will talk about the causes of overheating and how to fix it.
- The most obvious is the hot case.
In the specifications for any model, the developers indicate the maximum temperature of the components, which is better not to exceed. And to extend the life of the device, it is better not to exceed the recommended values at all. You will probably find them on the official website. To monitor the temperature, you can install one of the programs: Speecy, MSI Afterburner, Aida64.
- Cooling system noise.
The fan speed is directly proportional to the temperature: the higher it is, the faster the turntables inside spin. Dust also reduces cooling efficiency, and cooler speeds will always be higher in a clogged laptop.
- Turning off the device for no apparent reason.
As mentioned above, this is how the overheating protection works. When a certain threshold is reached, the processor turns off. The device may not even turn on right away, it may take time until it cools down to an acceptable temperature.
- Freezes and freezes.
Overheating directly affects laptop performance. Increased thermal exposure leads to degradation of many components and they become less effective.
High Temperature Procedure
- First, look at how bad it is. Monitor the temperature using any program that can do it.
- Depending on the results obtained, clean the device. If the temperatures are not very high, then a simple purge of the disassembled case will be sufficient. If the readings go off scale, update the thermal grease and check the coolers’ performance.
- If cleaning doesn’t help, try upgrading the cooling system.
- If this does not help, install additional airflow. The cooling pad can handle this.
What to do if the laptop is overheating. eliminate overheating
To prevent the laptop from overheating, you should first analyze the reasons for this phenomenon and only then proceed to eliminate it. In this case, the following options are possible:
- The laptop gets very hot and makes noise at any load of the processor and video card.
- It heats up only during the game (at the maximum load of one video card).
- The device heats up even in passive mode (no one is working on it).
In the first case, the reason is usually hidden in the accumulation of dust, which can be removed by the simplest cleaning of the internal cavities with a miniature vacuum cleaner.
Note! It is recommended to do this at least once a year (better. twice).
If the laptop gets very hot during the game, the following solutions are possible:
- Take breaks every 2-3 hours.
- Switch on a more “powerful” (discrete) video card while playing, and switch to the integrated chip in normal operation modes.
- Do not install game programs on the laptop (use a stationary PC for this, for example).
In the absence of another computer, you will have to check the cooler of the device and, if necessary, replace it with a new product.
How to find out the temperature of a laptop
Anyone who has decided to determine the temperature of a personal device should use well-known utilities.
Additional Information! You can try to check it using the BIOS, but in this case, errors are possible (when you reboot, this indicator usually changes).
One of the simplest and most accessible utilities successfully used to determine the heating temperature of laptop nodes is a small program called “Everest”.
After installing and launching it, you need to go to the “Computer / sensor” section, where data on the temperature of the processor and hard disk is located. These indicators, albeit indirectly, indicate the temperature regime of the device.
Why the laptop is heating up. the main reasons for overheating
If the laptop is warming up and what to do. it is not clear, first of all, you need to identify the reasons for its intense heating. Due to the limited internal spaces characteristic of these devices, a violation of the thermal regime of the following working units is possible:
- Video cards (it gets especially hot during games).
- The main processor, which has problems with heat dissipation (thermal paste has dried).
- Other chips that heat up during operation, set on heat sinks.
Note! First of all, when identifying the cause of overheating, attention is paid to the presence of dust in the internal cavities of the case.
Only after the “capital” cleaning of the interior of the laptop by means of a miniature vacuum cleaner should one proceed to diagnose the above options. Overheating of a video card, for example, is judged by the appearance of characteristic stripes, ripples or squares on the display screen, and a violation of the thermal regime of bridges is judged by the failure of USB ports.
To eliminate the causes of increased heating in this case, it is recommended to try to update the paste on the thermal outlets (radiators).
What to do if the laptop heats up (on the left or right side), heats up and turns off
Such a well-known computer device as a laptop usually heats up during operation, which is explained by its small dimensions. In addition, the body of the device can also heat up due to user errors (that is, the “human factor” is triggered).
Cooling the laptop
If the cooler hums very loudly, it means that it is operating at the maximum mode and cannot cope with its main function (ventilation of internal spaces). This must be taken very seriously and measures must be taken to add additional cooling to the device.
To do this, you can choose to do the following operations:
- Try replacing the built-in cooler with a more powerful device (if the footprint allows).
- Install a powerful household fan next to the laptop to cool the outer surfaces.
- Use a special stand under the body, which promotes better heat dissipation.
No matter how unusual these forced measures may seem, they, nevertheless, give a certain effect and allow you to extend the operational life of an expensive device.
What is the normal temperature for a laptop
It is very difficult to say unequivocally what temperature for a laptop is considered normal, since it depends on a number of factors and, in particular, on the model and the degree of workload of the device.
Should the laptop warm up. is there a threat to the device
Any laptop with intensive use, at least a little, but heats up. This is due, firstly, to the compact size of the device, which leads to a deterioration in air circulation. And, secondly, laptops are inherently not designed for constant work in heavy modes (running game and other “capacious” programs).
Therefore, when asked why a home laptop is heated, there may be one answer. this is a normal phenomenon that should not cause panic in its owner. You can feel the heating of the device by touching the keyboard buttons, for example. Normally they should be a little warm.
Another thing is when they are hot to the touch, and the case heats up so much that the laptop turns off automatically. In this case, you will have to carry out its full diagnosis, followed by clarification of the specific causes of overheating.
What to do if your laptop heats up and shuts down
An extreme case, often observed when a laptop overheats, is its automatic shutdown, which most often happens due to the user’s fault. The reason for this is usually his violation of the following points of the rules for operating a compact device.
- Avoid large accumulations of dust in the interior of the case.
- Make sure that the fan is not clogged with them.
- Do not place soft, non-heat-dissipating underlays under the cabinet.
- Monitor the state of thermal paste on thermal gadflies (radiators).
Important! If you neglect all these rules, the device quickly overheats, and a working cooler does not have time to cool it.
In order to avoid these troubles during the operation of a personal device, its prevention is mandatory, consisting in the following:
- Clean the interior of the laptop from dust at least once every six months.
- Periodically monitor the state of the thermal paste on the heatsinks of the processor and other chips, and update it (if necessary).
- Systematically check the temperature of the main nodes of the device.
note that if you follow the above recommendations, it is possible to keep the laptop in perfect condition, preventing it from overheating and spontaneous shutdown.