How to turn on sound on a laptop
There can be several reasons for the loss of sound on a laptop, and you can deal with some of them yourself at home.
The reasons for the disappearance of sound can be divided into hardware and software.
The hardware rooms include a malfunction of the sound card (repairs in the workshop will be required), malfunction of speakers or headphones, failure of speakers on a laptop, malfunctioning communications (plugs, connectors, cables, etc.).
Software malfunctions include sound settings in the operating system, player, audio manager, driver updates, etc.
I lost sound on my laptop, what to do
If the sound on the laptop disappears, what to do at home, what measures to take.
First. Check the sound level in the notification area. At the bottom right of the working window, next to the clock there is a speaker icon, left-click on it, you will see the volume level. Set it to maximum for now. Here you click on the mixer and see the volume controls, also look at the sound on the speaker icon.
For Windows 10, if you left-click:
And if you right-click, you will see a window like this:
How to turn on the sound on a laptop using the keys. The laptop may have a volume mute button on the keyboard. Maybe, through the keyboard, the Mute mode (silence) is turned on, the desired key is turned on with the Fn key. Press a couple of times and check the sound. The crossed out speaker from the screen should disappear.
You can adjust the volume (sound) level on a laptop by clicking on the speaker icon in the notification area (tray) and using the “Fn buttons with the image of speakers” (usually these buttons are the same color as the Fn key). You need to press the Fn button and, Do not release it, press the volume up or down buttons several times.
If the sound on the laptop is quiet, then you need to check all the volume controls, both software and hardware.
Second. Check speakers. To do this, you need to connect an external device (headphones, powered speakers, etc.), if the audio signal appears on an external device, then you need to replace the laptop speakers. Internal speakers on a laptop can fail when operating at maximum volume, and for this reason, speakers may begin to wheeze.
If you often used headphones and often inserted a plug into the connector, then the contacts could deteriorate over time. This is especially indicated when, when headphones are connected, the signal playback changes (appears, disappears, noise appears, etc.). You need to change the connector in the laptop, you need a specialist.
If the sound card is not working properly, there may be noise, intermittent sound cuts or no sound at all. It is impossible to change the integrated sound card, in which case you can connect an external sound card via USB.
Third. Check the audio manager (a separately installed sound program from the sound card manufacturer). This could be the Realtek High Definition Audio Manager, which is usually located in the notification bar. If it is there, then you can advise to install the sound driver again, or update it.
Fourth. Check drivers. We go to the device manager and find “Sound devices”. If the device is disabled, then enable. If there is a yellow exclamation mark next to the device, then you need to reinstall the driver.
How to enter the device manager: move the mouse over the “computer” and press the right mouse button, select properties and then “device manager”. You can also click “Start” and “Control Panel”, in the window that opens, click on the item “System” and already there will be a section “Device Manager”.
In the manager, look for your sound card in sound devices and press the right mouse button, select “update the driver “. After updating the driver, it is advisable to reboot the system.
If, when updating the driver, the system itself did not find the required driver, then it must be either on a disk to the motherboard with all the drivers, or it can be downloaded from the website of the sound card manufacturer, if the card is built-in, then from the website of the laptop manufacturer.
Sometimes you may need to reinstall the drivers, even if the system says that they DO NOT need updating and everything works fine, but there is an audio signal.
Fifth. Check Windows “audio” services.
Audio service path: “control panel.> administration.> services.> Windows audio”. this service must be running. If this is not the case, then go to the properties of this service (right-click on the name of the service) and start, as well as set automatic start.
If the audio service is stopped again at the next boot, you can manually add it to autorun.
Sixth. For the built-in sound card, you can check the inclusion in the BIOS.
We go into the BIOS and find the device item (advanced), find the item with the word audio, for example “High Definition Audio” and set “Enabled” (included) if it stood there “Disabled”.
You can enter the BIOS when you turn on or restart the laptop, you only need to periodically (every second) press the key, which is indicated for each system separately.
You can see the name of such a key at boot time, when the system itself writes that to enter the BIOS press such and such a key, such a message reads as “Press F2 to Setup”. Instead of the F2 key, it can be DEL, F10, F12.
Go to the BIOS, find the section “Devices Configuration”, or “Integrated Peripherals”, or “Onboard Devices Configuration”, or “Advanced”, and already there you need to find the settings for our sound, the name of the item may contain the word “Audio”. The item “High Definition Audio”, or another name for your card, should be Enabled.
Additional tips for setting up sound
1) If the sound disappeared after installing the programs or was updated, then try to roll back the system to the time when the sound worked normally. If the sound is restored, then the problem may be in conflict with a new program or update.
2) If the sound in the laptop stops working and the system says that the device is being used by the second application. Then you need to look in the tray (next to the clock) which of the applications are running. You can also look at the Running applications in the task manager. Try to disable something that can use sound (players, record players, etc.). If you find such applications, after turning off which sound appears, then you need to remove them from autorun.
3) The sound on the laptop disappeared what to do: if the laptop went into sleep mode with the headphones, then the headphones were removed and the laptop was taken out of sleep mode. And there is sound. It helped: go into sleep mode again, but exit with the headphones already inserted. That is, repeat the operation in the reverse order (we put it into sleep mode without headphones, and the output from the mode is already with headphones). This can be the case when connecting second interfaces using sound, for example, HDMI.
4) If you right-click on the volume icon in the tray, you can see the items for selecting playback devices. Select playback devices and see if the device is selected for audio playback. You need to choose speakers to listen to sound on your laptop. If you connected, for example, via HDMI to a TV, then another device may be selected.
5) If there is sound only on video or when playing SEPARATE files, then maybe there are necessary codecs. You can download and install codecs, it’s easy to do. The popular set of K-Lite-Codec codecs. You can download and install it.
6) Check if the sound disappeared only in one application or on some website. Or the sound is completely available on the laptop when using any programs. Maybe on the site or in one of the applications, the volume control is removed to a minimum, but on other applications everything works fine. For example, and on “Youtube” and when listening to music on the site “In contact with” have their own volume controls.
Why the speakers on the laptop don’t work
There may be several reasons why the speakers on the laptop suddenly stopped playing the sound:
- Lost volume control settings;
- Lack of the required driver;
- Audio device settings are NOT adjusted;
- Speaker failure and so on.
I think that if the speakers are NOT out of order, then using the methods listed above, you will find a problem with sound reproduction. But when is it a purely technical problem. This problem can be solved by replacing the built-in speakers.
It is possible that the laptop does not have sound drivers for the internal speakers.
Check for their presence by following the path:
- Control Panel.
- device Manager.
- Sound, video and game devices.
If there is a problem, you will notice an icon. a question or an exclamation mark. The reason for the problem will also be indicated there. If the sound card driver is outdated or missing, you should update or download it. To do this, visit the official website of the laptop manufacturer of your brand.
Why the speakers on the laptop don’t work, but the headphones work
Why the speakers on the laptop do not work, but the headphones work, how to fix the problem.
What to do if the internal speakers on a laptop stop working. For example, there is sound through external or through headphones, but not on the device itself. My first thought was that a skiff came to the internal speakers of the laptop. However, I want to make sure that this is not the case.
The question immediately arises, how can this be verified? I decided to devote this article to this question.
If your laptop speakers are not working, but the headphones are working, then there may be a problem with the settings. It is possible that headphones are specified in the default setting and speakers are disabled. Check this assumption, in the same place where you checked the drivers. That is, in the device manager, in sound settings.
Click on speakers and define default. Check the sound through the speakers. If the problem persists, you can find the cause using the diagnostic utility. DxDiag. Or by getting information about the system, via. msinfo32.
In order to find and run the DxDiag utility, enter its name into the search on your computer and click. run the command. Search is where the magnifying glass icon is located.
Thanks to these tools, you will be able to find out what the system does not function.
Volume control settings
First of all, you should check how the volume controls are installed on your device. At the bottom of the screen, on the taskbar, there is one of these controls. Click on the speaker icon, Adjust the volume. Look at the speakers listed by default.
Different laptops have different buttons for adjusting the sound. For example. Fn (F10 or F11 or F12). And on some, instead of the values indicated in parentheses, there may be an up arrow. Look in the user manual which buttons on your device are responsible for adjusting the volume.
Windows is NOT muted?
Pay attention to the icon in the system tray (lower right corner of the screen). If there is a red crossed out circle next to the image of the white speaker, you need to increase the volume by moving the slider up.
Frequently encountered queries in search engines, according to statistics, are issues related to the lack of sound, as can be seen in the screenshot from Google below.
Reboot your laptop.
If this is the first time you lose sound, restart your laptop. It will probably appear already when Windows starts loading.
Why is there no sound on the laptop?
This problem can occur on any laptop with any operating system, therefore, below we give an actual list of actions that must be performed sequentially. Perhaps, after one of them, the sound that disappeared in the laptop will appear. The problem can be caused by two factors: software or hardware. Let’s start simple and move on to more complex.
Check your speakers
If external speakers are used to reproduce sound, check that they are plugged in, that all wires and plugs are connected, and that the volume control is not turned off.
Open Start. Control Panel. Device Manager. In the list of devices, find the Sound, video and game controllers tab. Right-click on your codec (IDT or Realtek HD) and in the context menu that opens, try to disable-enable the device, or update the drivers. You can also open the laptop manufacturer’s website in the browser, find your model on it and download sound drivers for it.
The above steps will fix the problem 99% of the time. The chances of a malfunction of the speakers themselves are very small, so if you cannot succeed, contact a more experienced friend or a service center. You should NOT write in the comments requests to help restore the sound on the laptop, it is useless, since it is impossible to do this remotely, and without seeing your laptop and the settings set in it before your eyes. The problem often lies in the little things, like an extra check mark, the adjustment slider dragged in the wrong direction, and not the installed driver.
Check system settings
Open Start. Control Panel. Sound and check all parameters. Here in the Control Panel, you can open the menu of your IDT or Realtek audio codec, and see if their settings are normal.
Sound card status
Partially checking the sound card has already been mentioned in the previous paragraphs. Initially, you should think about how old the device is and whether it is possible for it to fail. If the board is new enough, this is also not a guarantee of its performance.
Checking her work:
- Press WinR and enter “devmgmt.Msc” in the line;
To immediately rule out one of the most basic audio problems. let’s check the volume controls. First, if the video is played from the Internet, you need to name it the speaker icon and turn up the volume. Then try the controls on your speakers. If this procedure did not help to return the sound. move on.
The sound on the laptop is missing. Possibly speakers
One of the main reasons for the loss of sound may be the inoperability of the speakers. a kink or a crease in the cord, connection to the wrong input.
In this case, we proceed as follows:
- We check the cords along the entire length to make sure they are intact;
- Make sure that the speakers are connected correctly: the sound card has several outputs, the microphone connector is usually highlighted in pink, and the speaker connector in green.
Do not forget to check if the speakers are connected. This is usually indicated by the LED located on their front panel. We check the sound, increase it to the maximum (in this case, a characteristic hiss should appear in the speakers).
Driver malfunction is another common reason why laptop sound does not work.
Let’s check it out:
- We open the control panel;
- In the search bar, enter “dispatcher” and follow the link found;
- Select the tab “Sound, game and video devices”;
- Download and install drivers, reboot the system.
If the sound card is NOT displayed in Windows, this may signal a device malfunction or incorrect connection. We recommend to clean the PC from dust and, if the Card is not built-in, blow out its slot and reconnect.
Install Windows XP from a USB flash drive, located here.
You can also try to install a different version of the driver. an older or newer one. Perhaps a driver conflict is a prerequisite for the lack of sound. In this case, installing a different version may help.
Correct connection of audio devices
You also need to make sure that the speakers and headphones are correctly connected to the sound card outputs. Usually the speakers are connected to the green output of the sound card. It is important to check the performance of the speakers themselves, otherwise further steps to adjust the sound may be in vain. The easiest way to check is to connect the speakers to the phone as headphones and turn on the music.
The sound on the laptop works, only in headphones
This behavior of the device is due to the peculiarity of laptops as such. they have an automatic switch, which allows you to configure and switch between headphones and speakers. If the sound is present only in the headphones, there is a problem with it. In this case, you can try to reinstall the driver (we wrote about this procedure above). If the problem persists, we recommend contacting a specialist.
Configuring sound in BIOS
To configure sound through BIOS, we need:
- Go to the BIOS menu by pressing the “Del” key at the start of the PC or, depending on the computer model, F2, F9 (information about the key required for this is usually displayed at the bottom of the screen when you turn it on)
- In the interface that appears, we find the “Integrated Peripherals” section;
- Select it and press “Enter”;
- Here is a list of devices integrated into the motherboard, look for the item “Onboard Audio Controller” in the squeak (the name may differ depending on the BIOS version)
- Open the list of options and start configuring them;
- If you need to activate the built-in sound controller, in the “HD Audio” item set the value “Disabled”, and in the “AC97 Audio” item specify “Enabled”;
After that, the computer will reboot and start working with the new settings.
Windows Audio Service
Let’s try to find the reason for the lack of sound using the Windows Audio service:
- Press the WinR key combination and enter the command “devmgmt.Msc” in the window that appears;
- Go to the “Sound, game and video devices” tab and right-click on the name of the sound card;
- Select “Properties” and check the “Device Status” period;
- If this paragraph says something other than “The device is working normally”, then the problem most likely lies in the drivers for the sound card, we will talk about updating them in the corresponding section of the article.
Quite often, especially in laptops, the sound disappears after the usual automatic update of sound card drivers. The best, according to the system, the driver, in fact, is NOT the best one. In such cases, you should prevent the system from automatically loading drivers. To do this, select “Devices and Printers” in the control panel and right-click on the computer icon. In the list of auto goods, select “Device installation settings”.
Then, in a new window, disable automatic downloads.
Manual installation of drivers is discussed below.
If the sound disappears on a computer or laptop with Windows 10, you need to right-click on “Start” and go to “Device Manager”, where you select the appropriate sound card. A reassuring inscription in the normal operation of the device and a driver that does NOT need updating, should not be trusted in the absence of sound. Much more informative is the inscription “Device with High Definition Audio support” instead of the name of a specific sound card. Such an inscription, as a rule, indicates that the optimal drivers for the board are not installed.
In this case, you must first try to reinstall the drivers from the motherboard disk supplied with the computer upon purchase. If they are absent or obsolete, you need to find out the model of your motherboard. To do this, you can see the documentation or the board. Then you need to visit the website of the manufacturer of the motherboard (not the sound) board, download the latest sound drivers and install them. If they are not already in Windows 10, then drivers for the “seven” or “eight” will do. But the bitness of the driver (64 or 32 bits) must necessarily match the system.
If it was not possible to determine the model of the motherboard, then you need to use the special Driver Pack Solution program. It will automatically download the correct drivers.
The described sequence of actions does not always solve the problem with no sound. In this case, the “Device Driver Installation Wizard” should be launched in compatibility mode with the previous version of Windows. To do this, you need to right-click on the shortcut or the executable file of the installer program, select the “Properties” item and the “Compatibility” tab.
If the sound is still stubbornly not playing, then a global reinstallation of the audio path can help. To do this, in the “Device Manager”, first remove the sound card and all devices of the item “Audio inputs and outputs”.
Then it will run the installer again. If the driver did not install like this, then in the manager select “Action”, and then. “Update hardware configuration”.
Why doesn’t sound work on Windows 10?
Sound problems on computers running Windows 10 may be similar to other versions of this operating system. But the disappearance of the sound of the “dozens” quite often happens after updating to it previous versions of Windows. 7 or 8.
If after installation or update the sound does not work on Windows 10, then it is recommended to try to restore it in the following sequence:
- Built-in automatic facility;
- Checking the performance and contacts of playback devices;
- Checking the correct start of the audio service;
- Correct installation of drivers;
- Correct setup of playback devices.
The first 3 points require a minimum of time. First, you should try to restore sound automatically using the built-in recovery tool designed specifically for this. To do this, you need to right-click on the speaker icon on the taskbar, and click the term “detect problems with sound”.
If there are no changes, you should eliminate in turn Possible reasons for the lack of sound. And you need to start by carefully checking the reliability of the connection of the speakers or headphones to the corresponding socket of the computer. You need to make sure that the playback devices are working by connecting them to other sound sources (to a second computer, smartphone, player).
The next step is to ensure that the Windows Audio service is functioning properly. To do this, in the control panel, select “Administration” and “Services”. Windows Audio service startup type should only be “Automatic”.
Checking the settings of playback devices
Sometimes audio problems are related to incorrect settings of audio devices. For example, if there is no sound from the headphones, then you should check the default playback device and make sure it is NOT muted. To do this, right-click on the speaker icon on the taskbar and select “Playback devices”.
In addition to the lack of sound, its defects are possible. For example, the sound stutters or wheezes. Sound effects sometimes interfere with normal sound reproduction. To exclude them, you need to right-click on the dynamics, select the “Properties” item, go to “Additional features” and check the corresponding box.
If the sound is too quiet on a laptop or computer, then you will need to check the volume settings. To do this, right-click on the icon of the audio device being checked, select “Playback devices” and go to the “Communication” tab. In the window that appears, if necessary, select the item “Action NOT required”. This will increase the sound on the laptop while using it for talking on the phone.
As you can see from the described recommendations, sound restoration is not a trivial task, and sometimes it can require perseverance and significant time investment.
Missing sound in Windows 10 after updating or installing system
The most common variant of the problem is that the sound on the computer or laptop simply disappears. In this case, as a rule (let’s consider this option first), the speaker icon on the taskbar is OK, in the Windows 10 device manager for the sound card it says “The device is working fine”, and the driver does not need to be updated.
However, at the same time, usually (but not always) in this case the sound card in the device manager is called “Device with High Definition Audio support” (and this is a sure sign that there are no installed drivers on it). This usually happens for Conexant SmartAudio HD, Realtek, VIA HD Audio, Sony and Asus laptops.
The sound is quiet, wheezing, or the volume is automatically lowered
If, despite the fact that the sound is playing, there are some problems with it: it wheezes, too quiet (and the volume can change itself), try the following solutions to the problem.
- Go to playback devices by right-clicking on the speaker icon.
- Right-click on the device with a sound problem, select “Properties”.
- On the Advanced Features tab, check Disable All Effects. Apply settings. You will return to the list of playback devices.
- Open the “Communication” tab and remove the volume decrease or mute during communication, set “No action required”.
Apply the settings you made and check if the problem was resolved. If not, there is another option: try to select your sound card through the device manager. properties. update the driver and install not “native” sound card driver (show a list of installed drivers), and one of the compatible ones that Windows 10 can offer itself. In this situation, it sometimes happens that on “not native “drivers, the problem does not appear.
Optional: check if the Windows Audio service is enabled (press WinR, type services.Msc and find the service, Make sure the service is running and the startup type for it is set to Automatic.
Sound or microphone stopped working on Asus laptop (may work for others as well)
Separately, I would like to note a solution for Asus laptops with a Via Audio sound chip, it is on them that most often problems arise with playback, as well as connecting a microphone in Windows 10. Solution:
- Go to the device manager (through the right click on the start), open the item “Audio inputs and outputs”
- Through the right click on each item in the section, delete it, if there is a suggestion to remove the driver, do it too.
- Go to the section “Sound, game and video devices”, remove them in the same way (except for HDMI devices).
- Download Via Audio driver from Asus, from the official site for your model for Windows 8.1 or 7.
- Run the driver installer in Windows 8.1 or 7 compatibility mode, preferably as Administrator.
I will note why I am pointing to an older version of the driver: it was noticed that in most cases VIA 126.96.36.199 turns out to be workable, and not newer drivers.
Installing sound drivers in Windows 10
What to do in this situation to fix the problem? Almost always, a working method consists of the following simple steps:
- Enter in the search engine your_Laptop_Model support, or your_Mother_Board_Model support. I do not recommend that if problems arise, which are discussed in this manual, start searching for drivers, for example, from the Realtek website, first of all look at the website of the manufacturer NOT of the chip, but of the entire device.
- Find audio drivers for download in the support section. If they are for Windows 7 or 8, and not for Windows 10, that’s fine. The main thing is that the bitness does not differ (x64 or x86 must match the bitness of the system currently installed, see How to find out the bitness of Windows 10)
- Install these drivers.
It would seem simple, but many write that they have already done this, but nothing happens and does not change. This is usually due to the fact that although the driver installer guides you through all the steps, the driver is not actually installed on the device (easy to check by looking at the driver properties in the device manager). over, the installers of some manufacturers DO NOT report an error.
There are the following ways to solve this problem:
- Runs the installer in compatibility mode with the previous version of Windows. It helps most often. For example, to install Conexant SmartAudio and Via HD Audio on laptops, this option usually works (Windows 7 compatibility mode). See Windows 10 Program Compatibility Mode.
- First remove the sound card (from the section “Sound, game and video devices”) and all devices from the section “Audio inputs and audio outputs” through the device manager (right-click on the device. delete), if possible (if there is such a mark), together with the drivers. And immediately after uninstalling, it will launch the installer (including due to compatibility mode). If the driver still does not install, then in the device manager select “Action”. “Update hardware configuration”. Often works on Realtek, but not always.
- If after that the old driver was installed, then they will right-click on the sound card, select “Update driver”. “Search for drivers on this computer” and see if new drivers have appeared in the list of already installed drivers (except for a Device with High Definition Audio support) compatible drivers for your sound card. And if you know its name, then you can look among the incompatible.
Even if you could not find the official drivers, still try the option to remove the sound card in Device Manager and then update the hardware configuration (point 2 above).
Playback devices and their additional parameters
Some novice users forget to check the settings for audio playback devices in Windows 10, which is better. How exactly:
- Right-click on the speaker icon in the notification area at the bottom right, select the “Playback devices” context menu item. In Windows October 1903, the path will be different: right-click on the speaker icon. Open sound settings. Sound control panel in the “Related options” section, and in Windows October 1809 and 1803: right-click on the speaker icon. “Sounds”, and then the ” reproduction “.
- Make sure the correct default playback device is set. If not, right-click on Needed and select “Use as default”.
- If the speakers or headphones are the default device as required, right-click on them and select Properties, then go to the Additional Features tab.
- Check the box “Disable all effects”.
After making the above settings, check if the sound is working.
Missing sound in Windows 10
Many users who upgraded to Windows 10 or after a clean installation of the OS encountered a variety of problems with the sound in the system. someone just lost sound on a laptop or computer, for others. the sound stopped working through the headphone output on the front of the PC, another common situation. the sound itself becomes quieter over time.
This step-by-step guide describes Possible ways to fix the Most common problems when audio playback does not work correctly or sound disappears in Windows 10 after an update or installation, or just during operation for no apparent reason. See Also: What to do if Windows 10 sound is wheezing, hiss, crackling, or very quiet, No HDMI sound, Audio service not running.
Windows 10 sound not working after updating to a new version
If you have lost sound after installing a new version of Windows 10 (for example, updating to the 1809 October 2018 Update), first try the following two methods to fix the situation.
- Go to the device manager (you can use the menu that opens by right-clicking on the Start button).
- Expand the “System Devices” section and see if there are any devices with the letters SST (Smart Sound Technology) in the name. If there is, right-click on such a device and select “Update driver”.
- Then select “Search for drivers on this computer”. “Select a driver from the list of available drivers on the computer”.
- If there are other compatible drivers listed, such as High Definition Audio Device, select it, click Next, and install.
- Note that there may be more than one SST device in the list of system devices, follow steps for all.
And one more way, more complicated, but also able to help in the situation.
- Run Command Timeline as administrator (you can use the search in the taskbar). And in the command line enter the command
- Pnputil / enum-drivers
- In the list that the command will give, find (if any) the item for which the original name is intcaudiobus.Inf and remember its published name (oemNNN.Inf).
- Enter the command pnputil / delete-driver oemNNN.Inf / uninstall to uninstall this driver.
- Go to device manager and from the menu select Action. Update hardware configuration.
Before proceeding with the steps below, try running the automatic fixes for sound problems in Windows 10 by right-clicking on the speaker icon and selecting “Troubleshoot sound problems.” Not a fact that will work, but if you haven’t tried it, it’s worth a try. Additional Notes: Sound over HDMI does not work in Windows. how to fix “Audio output device not installed” and “Headphones or speakers not connected” errors.
Note: if the sound disappeared after a simple installation of updates in Windows 10, then try to go to the device manager (through the right click on the start), select your sound card in sound devices, name it with the right mouse button, and then on the “Driver” tab press “rollback”. In the future, you can disable automatic driver updates for the sound card so that the problem does not arise.
If none of the above has helped, I also recommend trying to use some popular driver-pack, and first check if the devices themselves are operational. headphones, speakers, microphone: it also happens that the sound problem is not in Windows 10 but in themselves.
Computer repair in Samara
If the speakers on the laptop have stopped producing sound, then with a high degree of probability it can be argued that the problem that has arisen is related to the volume control utility or incorrect settings of the computer’s audio devices. Although it cannot be ruled out that the speakers on the laptop do not work due to their physical failure. In order to correct this condition, you need to check the volume level set in the sound mixer properties, and also check that everything is correctly configured in the “Sound and Audio Devices” settings of the system “Control Panel”.
Checking the volume control
Make sure that all hardware volume controls on the laptop and speaker system are NOT all the way down. If there is a problem with this, then on the desktop you need to find in the area of system icons (system tray) the volume control icon in the form of a speaker image. If through the volume control utility the sound level is brought to a minimum, then you also will NOT hear anything.
Double-click the right mouse button on the “Volume” icon displayed in the system tray. This will open the Volume Mixer Dialog Box. Find the volume control slider in it, and bring it to at least 25 percent of the entire scale. This percentage will be displayed next to the volume slider. Volume levels greater than 90 percent may distort sound on the computer.
Pay attention to the “All Off” item under the volume control. If there is a check mark on it (in Windows 7 it looks like a speaker icon covered with a red sign, symbolizing a stop. a circle crossed out by an oblique line), then this means that regardless of the current volume level, the laptop speakers will be turned off. Uncheck this box or the red crossed out circle to turn off the so-called “Mute” mode and activate the speakers.
Turn on the audio device control service
Go to the system start menu, start the “Run” section of the menu and in the text window enter the name of the system snap-in “services.Msc” in order to launch the “Services” utility for managing services. Click “OK”.
In the dialog box that opens, find a service named “Windows Audio”. Right-click on the service line and select Properties from the context menu.
On the “General” tab, find the “Startup type” section and select the “Auto” value from the drop-down list. Next, on the same tab in the “Status” section, click on the “Start” button, and then Confirm the start of the service, click the “OK” button.
If your version of the operating system has a service called “Audio Endpoint Builder”, then similarly to the previous point, enter its properties and set the automatic start mode. For the changes to take effect, restart the computer.
Checking audio device settings
Click the “Start” button and open the section called “Control Panel”. Find the subsection “Sounds and Audio Devices” in the control panel window and start it by double clicking.
In the new dialog box, open the “Audio” tab, find the “Audio playback” section in it and open the drop-down list “default device”.
From this list select the correct audio playback device and confirm your choice by clicking “OK”. If, after selecting a device, the speakers on the laptop still do not work, then you should sequentially go through all the devices available in this list until I hear a sound. Another way to diagnose audio problems on your laptop is with the DXDIAG diagnostic tool.
Why are my laptop speakers not working?: 2 comments
The explanation is not for ordinary users. I got to the point “include audio device control service” and what’s next, I don’t understand. Can’t be explained in simple words, not all such super-advanced users