The computer does not see the SD memory card
SD cards will remain a popular storage format for a long time to come. The standard has become very closely entrenched in the photo and video equipment market, and therefore the need for card readers has been, is and will continue to be. From time to time, users encounter a problem with the operation of SD cards (or card readers) in computers running Windows 10. The card is inserted into the appropriate port, but the computer cannot recognize it and the SD card is not displayed in Explorer. This is a very common and rather unpleasant problem, which, fortunately, is very easy to fix in the vast majority of cases. In this article, you will find some tips to help you if your computer does not see your memory card.
Although in this manual we mainly talk about SD cards (the ones that are larger), the instructions are also relevant for microSD cards. Modern computers (Surface tablets, for example) are often equipped with microSD slots lately. The tips in this article also apply to these devices.
The computer or laptop does not see the memory card. what to do
First you need to make sure the card is working. To do this, insert it into another device with a slot for SD (or microSD using an adapter) cards. It can be a camera, camcorder, second computer, tablet, smartphone or any other device equipped with a corresponding slot. If the memory card is not recognized in this device or works intermittently, then it is either damaged or needs cleaning the connectors.
Take a cotton ball, ear stick, or piece of cotton wool, lightly soak them in alcohol or an appropriate cleaning agent (in theory, plain water will do, but either a special cleaning agent or simple alcohol will do the job best) then lightly walk over the metal contacts on back of the memory card. Important: do not pour liquid onto the card (you only risk killing it) or insert it wet into the port. Make sure the contacts are dry and clean, and then try again to connect the memory card to the computer.
Check for dirt in this area of the memory card or adapter you are using.
If after this procedure the memory card works in other devices, but does not work in the computer, then it makes sense to also clean the slot itself. Perhaps there is too much dust in it, which prevents the computer from reading information normally. You can clean the memory card slot in a computer or laptop using compressed air.
Another tip: make sure you insert the card the right way round. The computer should show which side to insert the card. Some slots use a latching mechanism to secure the card into the slot. In such a computer, you cannot insert the card upside down as it will not lock. Other computers may not have this mechanism, so make sure the memory card is installed correctly. Do not use force when connecting or removing a card, as you risk breaking the slot, card or locking mechanisms.
Let’s say the memory card is working, you insert it in the correct direction, the slot in your computer is clean, but the PC still does not see the SD card. In this case, there are some more tips that should help.
Check if the memory card is detected in the disk management interface. If a letter is not assigned to the memory card, the drive will not appear in Explorer, although both the slot and the memory card are physically working.
- Disconnect any flash drives from your computer and leave only your SD card. This will help streamline the process.
- Click Win X and select Disk Management.
- At the bottom of the utility interface, your hard drives and SSDs will be displayed first. They are labeled as “Basic”. Any removable drives (flash drives, memory cards, external hard drives, etc.) are marked as “Removable Device”. See if it’s on the list. Disk Management should display the type of media, its size and the label “Online”. this means that the card is working properly.
- Check if a letter is attached to the card. If there is no letter ((G :), for example) next to the name of the map, then it is because of this that it is not displayed in Explorer.
- Right-click on the map and select Change Drive Letter or Drive Path. In the window that appears, click Add, and then select the Assign Drive Letter (A-Z) option. Choose any letter you like and press OK.
- After that, the system should inform you about the new found disk and the memory card will appear in Explorer.
Check if the memory card slot is enabled in the BIOS settings of your computer. Sometimes it happens that the card reader on the PC motherboard is simply disabled for some unknown reason. You can check this by simply diving into the BIOS settings. Restart your computer and during startup press F2 / Delete (or another button chosen by your manufacturer) to get into the BIOS. Each computer has its own BIOS (UEFI), which differs depending on the manufacturer or model of the motherboard, so we cannot publish all the options here. You need to find the section with ports and devices (Onboard Devices / Miscellaneous Devices and so on), and then look for something like “Media Card Reader”, “SD Reader”, “Enable ExpressCard” and so on. Make sure it is turned on, then save the settings, restart the computer and try again to connect the memory card.
The checkbox that is responsible for activating the built-in SD card slot in the BIOS of Dell computers. If the checkbox is not checked, the port will not work.
In the case of desktop computers, it is also possible that the SD card slot on the front of the chassis is not connected to the computer’s motherboard. Here you will have to open your case (before that, completely disconnect the computer’s power from the outlet) and see if the wire is connected from the front panel of the case to the motherboard. The wire with a 9-pin connector must be connected to the appropriate comb on the motherboard.
Sometimes the source of the problem may be an adapter that does not work as expected. This is the case if you are using an SD adapter for microSD cards or other format cards paired with an adapter. Of course, an extra adapter is not always on hand, but this option is also worth considering if you can’t get your computer to work with a memory card. Fortunately, the adapters cost mere pennies and it will not be difficult to find them.
Samsung Galaxy S8: How to Fix Micro SD Card Problems and Issues
You can refer to the system’s built-in diagnostic and troubleshooting methods. Perhaps Windows itself will be able to find the cause and successfully fix it.
- Click Win I and go to Update & Security.
- In the left menu, click Troubleshoot. Find Hardware and Devices in the list. Click this item and then click Run the troubleshooter.
- Wait while the wizard checks your system and reports the results. If he does not find anything, proceed further along this instruction. If the diagnostics still find something, apply the tips suggested by it, and then try to reconnect the card to the computer.
How to fix Galaxy S10 “SD card not detected” error
The next option is to turn off and on the card reader. Perhaps a trivial bug in the operating system or controller led to the failure of the card reader.
- Press Win X and select Device Manager. Alternatively, you can press Win R and enter devmgmt.msc.
- In the list of devices, look for Host Mass Storage Adapters. This is your SD reader. Expand it and the adapter controller should appear on the screen. This can be a Standard SDA-Compliant SD Host Controller, some Realtek PCIe CardReader, or an adapter from another manufacturer.
- Right click on the adapter and select Properties. Go to the Driver tab and click the Disable device button. Confirm Action.
- Then reopen the properties and turn the card reader back in exactly the same way.
If a peculiar reboot of the adapter does not help, you can try reinstalling or updating the card reader driver. Go to your manufacturer’s website and check if there is a new driver version. If there is, download and install it. Previously, you can remove the old version of the driver in the Device Manager.
- Press Win X and select Device Manager.
- Expand Host Mass Storage Adapters, then click on the adapter and select Properties.
- On the Driver tab, click Uninstall device. Confirm deletion.
- After that, download the driver on the manufacturer’s website and install it. Restart your computer and then try plugging in the card again.
- If the slot stopped working after a recent driver update, click Roll Back on the Driver tab to revert to the previous version of the driver. Please note that the function to roll back a driver to a previous version will only be available if you have updated the driver at least once. If there are no previous driver versions in the system, the Rollback button will be grayed out, as in the screenshot below.
It should be understood that none of these methods will help if your computer’s slot is damaged or broken. If the memory card works in other devices, but is not detected in your computer in any way even after all these dances with a tambourine, then you need to contact a specialist who will check the physical health of the port, repair or replace it. To extract information from the card, insert it into another device (the same camera), and then connect it via a USB cable to your computer, or transfer the data you need from another PC.
We hope these tips will help you fix the problem and you will not have to contact a service center, repair your computer or change a memory card.
Incompatibility between device and memory card
When buying a new microSD for a gadget, you must strictly follow the manufacturer’s recommendations. Often, a phone or tablet does not see the medium precisely because the wrong size or speed is selected.
Software glitch in the phone itself
The “invisibility” of a flash drive can also be explained by a software malfunction. For check:
- reset the gadget settings to standard;
- in the “Storage” section, set the removable version as such.
In addition, you may need to update the firmware to the current one, which will help “cure” all failures. Updated software versions are freed by developers from critical errors, bugs.
How to fix the problem
To fix the situation when Samsung does not see the memory card, you need to:
- inspect the carrier, wipe the contacts and wipe them;
- check if the card is correctly inserted into a special slot or card reader. insert it correctly;
- bring the format in line with the requirements of the operating system;
- check the system for failures. update, roll back to standard settings, select removable media as the main.
Problems with the memory card itself
In this case, the card will not be detected by a smartphone, tablet or computer. Breakage can occur due to:
- Removing and reinstalling media without a special mode that ensures safe removal;
- mechanical damage.
If Samsung does not see the memory card due to its breakage, the gadget should be replaced.
Top reasons why Samsung phone stopped seeing memory card
There may be several reasons. Before looking for it and fixing a health issue, there are several steps you can take that can bring the punishment to work:
- restart Samsung. Restarting the operating system can correct the situation, the flash drive will become visible again. This means that a system failure has occurred;
- if the Samsung model has a removable battery, remove the battery for a few seconds, then reinsert it. It is worth remembering that the extraction is carried out only on the switched off smartphone;
- checking contacts. both on the card itself and in the smartphone. They must not be deformed or oxidized. The contacts on the carrier should be wiped with a soft, lint-free cloth.
If the listed actions did not help to correct the situation and Samsung does not see the memory card as before, they search for another reason. It can be in both the carrier and the smartphone. If the flash drive is damaged, it will have to be replaced. They cannot be repaired. Phone problems can be solved by yourself or at a service center.
Incorrect flash drive format
The most common reason for the “invisibility” of the card is the wrong format. Usually they are not read by devices, ask for formatting and give other error codes. This is due to:
- the markup or file system cannot be read by Android;
- the memory markup is out of order;
- formatting was done with incorrect settings.
This is because the flash drives come from the factory configured to work with the exFAT file system. It is not accepted by all phones, tablets or computers. The way to fix it is formatting. Methods:
- Run the process under FAT32 using Recovery mode. Note that this method is effective, but laborious and not suitable for inexperienced users.
- Using the SD Formatter application on a personal computer. The procedure is simple. You will need to download a free utility to your computer, insert a mobile media into it using a special slot or card reader. Select SD in the system menu and start formatting by selecting the required file system.
- Using standard Windows tools. The difference from the previous method is that you do not need to download the utility. It is enough to select in the list of SD drives, right-click the menu and start the process.
- Use standard Android tools. In this case, the microSD does not have to be removed from the mobile device. There is a special item in the mobile memory settings. The method is suitable only if the smartphone or tablet sees SD, but cannot read it.
Often the problem is fixed immediately after changing the format.
What is fraught with such a situation?
The main trouble that threatens in the event of a removable media failure is switching to the internal one, its overflow and slowdown in the operation of the device. Even if the user pulls out the USB stick from Samsung and inserts a new one, the problem may remain. The preset amount of memory will quickly fill up and your device’s performance will be compromised. Various applications will stop working stably, the operation of the operating system will be prone to failures.
Samsung smartphone does not see the memory card
Good afternoon friends. Many owners of phones with the Android operating system often ask themselves. why the phone does not see the microSD memory card? I would not say that such cases happen often, but what should be done if, nevertheless, the phone does not see the card?
This process can arise for a number of reasons. Let’s look at them in this article and, most importantly, try to get rid of them. The material that I have prepared will help you fix a similar problem not only in smartphones, but also in cameras, camcorders and other gadgets in which such a memory card is present.
Does not “contact”!
If someone “crooked” (not you) tried to insert the card into the slot with the wrong side, showed excessive persistence, then the connector could be damaged. the contacts came off. Or, on the microSD itself, the tracks are oxidized / wiped.
It is necessary to carefully examine all the objects described above. Perhaps you just need to pull out the drive and insert it correctly. Suddenly the problem is in the contacts, they can be replaced, but with this problem it is better to contact the service center to specialists.
The memory card is broken
A memory card can break either mechanically or thermally (overheating of the flash drive). Because of this, it ceases to function normally on all devices, including on a computer.
Why it can be dangerous?
Modern smartphones have their own internal memory, and a plug-in MicroSD is needed to increase this memory. Imagine an unpleasant situation. You, as the main storage medium, specified the external card, and it suddenly stopped functioning correctly. Android just stopped seeing her. In this regard, information began to be sent to the built-in memory. Of course, the internal memory space quickly becomes clogged and the phone starts to malfunction.
Let’s say you come to the conclusion that the external card has simply deteriorated, and replaced it with another. But, there are no fewer problems in the phone. In situations like this, people tend to get nervous. The conclusion suggests itself, the problem in the phone is not with the card. And with what then? We start to solve.
Correcting the inappropriate format of the drive (memory card)
The most common reason why the phone does not see the SD memory card is the wrong file system format or the presence of bad sectors. Usually, when connected to a computer, such cards are not read, they give errors, ask for formatting. The reasons for such a malfunction of the flash drive can be:
- the Android operating system does not understand the markup or file system that the drive is working with;
- memory markup failure;
- the user has formatted with incorrect settings.
SD Card Not Detected || SD Card Not Inserted || SD Card Not Showing Samsung/Android Without PC [Fix]
Usually the reason is trivial. manufacturers prepare modern flash drives to work with the exFAT file system, which is not perceived by all devices. This problem is eliminated by formatting the media. It can be produced in several ways:
- Formatting in FAT32 can be done using the Recovery mode. This method is laborious and not very convenient, since you have to go to the system menu and look for the desired item. We will not give it, as there are better methods for solving the problem.
- SD Formatter utility for PC. In this case, you will need to install a free program on your computer and insert a USB flash drive into it using a card reader. If you have a laptop, then most likely you have an SD compartment. Together with microSD cards, adapters are sold that are just intended for this slot. It’s easy to manage the program. you need to select your card from the list of hard drives, and then stop at the “Format” item in the menu. Before starting the process, you need to select the file system that you want to use in the future on the media.
- Using a standard Windows tool. The only difference between this option and the use of a special utility is that the formatting option is invoked by right-clicking on the name of the media. You can connect a USB flash drive using an adapter. There is another option. to use a standard cable and use it to connect a phone with a carrier installed in the slot. The second method of detecting media by a computer should be used only in extreme cases.
- The Android operating system has another built-in way to help you solve the formatting problem. In the memory management menu there is a function “Format SD”, you can use it. This feature should be used only in cases where the smartphone detects the card, but cannot use it due to an error.
In most cases, simple formatting will fix the problem. If this option did not suit you, keep looking for the reason why the phone does not see the USB flash drive.