Via the system menu
This method is preferable when the device boots up and works more or less normally, that is, you have access to the system menu and all on-screen buttons.
- Open the system settings utility and go to the “General” section. Some Samsung models do not have this section. If this is your case, proceed to the next step.
- Tap the “Reset” button or its equivalent. “Privacy”, “Archiving (archiving) and reset”.
- Go to “Reset device (data)”.
- Click “Delete All” or “Reset”.
After a few seconds, the device will restart in a zeroed state.
3 Ways to Factory Reset Samsung Phone and Tablet
By dialing code
This option is applicable under the same conditions as the previous one. In addition, he can help you out in case of problems in the system menu, if you still have access to the application for calls.
To activate the factory reset procedure, enter one of the following codes on the Samsung phone keypad:
- 27673855 #
After pressing the call button, the device will reboot and all data from it will be deleted.
What is a factory reset and when to apply it
Factory reset or hard reset of any mobile gadget on Android (not only Samsung Galaxy) is clearing its permanent memory from all applications, settings and files, except for those installed by the manufacturer.
The reset function is intended for:
- Restoring the device to operability in case of software problems and malware infection, when the failure cannot be eliminated by milder methods.
- Preparing a gadget for sale or transfer to another user.
- Optimizations after firmware update.
After a hard reset, no user data remains on the smartphone, except for those stored on the removable memory card and SIM (contacts). However, in some cases, the changes made by the user are still saved. Namely:
How To Reset Samsung Galaxy S8. Hard Reset and Soft Reset
- If, before the rollback, the device was root. Preinstalled applications removed with superuser rights are not restored after a reset.
- When FRP (Factory Reset Protection) is activated. enhanced protection of the owner’s data in case of loss or theft of the phone.
A device with FRP enabled, even after a hard reset, will ask for a user account password, without which access to the system is impossible. Therefore, it is completely pointless to rollback on such a device in order to delete a forgotten password.
Preparing for a hard reset
Before proceeding with restoring a mobile gadget to factory settings, if the situation permits, copy all important information from it to external media, for example, to a computer hard drive or to the cloud.
It is convenient to save contacts on the Google service of the same name. To do this, copy them from SIM cards to the phone memory and log in to the device under the Google account to which you want to transfer them. Synchronization will take place automatically.
Videos, pictures, music and other user files can be simply transferred from folder to folder by connecting the phone with a USB cable to the PC.
If this is not possible, install a cloud service client on your mobile device, for example, Google Drive or Yandex.Disk, enter the “Files” section, click “Upload to disk” and select the data to save.
To avoid having to enter the owner’s login and password when starting the device after the reset, delete your Google account from the system.
Immediately before recovery, charge the device to at least 25-30% or connect to a power source, and also remove the memory card and SIM from it.
This method is used for the most serious problems. He is the only salvation when the device does not load the operating system or insurmountable problems arise during its launch. For example, blocking by a ransomware virus.
Fortunately, Android devices, including Samsung, have a Recovery menu with a hard reset function for such a case. This menu can be accessed even when the main system has completely lost its functionality.
To enter Recovery, turn off your phone or tablet by long pressing the power button. Then press one of the following key combinations:
- Home Power Volume up.
- Bixby (Voice Assistant Activation Button) Power Volume Up.
- Power Volume up (on devices with a touch home button).
After the manufacturer’s splash screen appears on the screen, release the power button. Continue to hold the rest until the inscription “Samsung Galaxy” changes to the menu “Android Recovery”.
- Using the volume keys to navigate, highlight the “Wipe Data \ Factory Reset” item. To confirm the selection, press the power button 1 time.
- Confirm your choice again by pressing “Yes” or “Yes, delete all user data”. This will start the process of zeroing user data.
- When you return to the Recovery menu screen, select the “Reboot system now” command. The machine will restart.
If the reset and restore is successful, after a few seconds you will see the desktop, which will look the same when you pick up the phone for the first time.
On devices of this South Korean brand, it will be enough to hold down the “Power” and “Volume Up” keys. When the phone starts vibrating, release the first button and keep holding the second button. When the list of options appears, go to the next step.
What are factory settings and why reset them on Android?
The internal memory of Android is divided into separate segments, each of which performs a specific set of tasks. For example, one part is responsible for system files, the other is responsible for storing and processing data, the third is for temporary files, logs, etc. A factory reset is the removal of user data and programs, while the system registries remain intact. Technically speaking, this process involves formatting specific memory segments. At the same time, it is important to understand that in case of a failure in the operating system or after an unsuccessful flashing, restoring the normal operation of the smartphone, a rollback to the factory state will not help.
Situations when you need a factory reset on your phone
It is recommended to perform a factory reset on Android quite often, and for this there are special standard tools and third-party services. However, the most common indicators for performing an operation are the following cases.
- Smartphone sale. The most relevant reason to “roll back” the device, because before transferring it to the new owner, all data must be deleted. But here you need to choose the most reliable reset option. For example, if you use the settings menu and the “Restore and reset” option, personal data may not be completely deleted. If you are going to buy a gadget, for example, from Apple, check out: how to check an iPhone for originality.
- Viral infection. The lack of antivirus increases the risk of picking up spyware or other malicious code. A factory reset will be the best option. However, there are viruses that are not removed even after a radical cleaning. In this case, the service department will help. Also read the article: How to check an Android phone for viruses.
- ErrorsAndroid. They can accumulate due to the installation of third-party services or applications, optimizers, cleaners, etc. In addition, the influence of one program on another can cause a conflict and cause the gadget to malfunction.
- Decreased performance, freezing when opening applications, spontaneous shutdown. If procedures such as clearing the cache and rebooting do not fix the problem, it is worth resorting to a radical method. rollback. Have you tried clearing the cache on Android yet? Be sure to try.
On the switched off smartphone, hold down two keys: “Volume control carriage” (in the center) and “Power”, and hold them for 10 seconds. When the logo is highlighted, release the second button. After the appearance of the “Robot with gears”, move the finger on the regulator carriage from the center to the top and wait until the green bar of the loading status is displayed.
Asus and Acer
Here, as well as on other devices, there is a standard option for entering the Recovery mode. Two buttons “Power” and “Volume down” are pressed simultaneously and remain in this state until the menu appears to restore the device’s performance. At the next stage, follow the algorithm suggested above.
Via the Android menu
The easiest and most accessible way even for inexperienced users to return the device to the pre-sale state is to reset the settings using the corresponding function built into the system. This option is relevant if the problems are not critical and the user has not lost access to menu items. In this case, you will need to do the following:
- Open the “Settings” section in any convenient way (through the menu, quick access panel, desktop);
- Go to the “Restore and reset” tab;
- Scrolling down the screen, select the “Reset settings” option (depending on the device model, the name may differ);
- The system will issue a warning that during the operation, all user data: personal information, applications and programs, settings, will be deleted;
- Confirm smartphone cleaning by pressing the “Reset all” button.
After completing the process, the device will match the appearance it had at the time of purchase.
The functionality of devices with the specified versions of the operating system has undergone some changes. Therefore, the “Reset settings” option can be found in the “Reset” tab, which is now in the “System” section.
A feature of the product of Chinese developers is the Flame OS operating system. Accordingly, resetting the settings on this platform is different than on Android. To perform the operation, you need to go to “Settings” → “About phone” → “Memory” → “Reset settings”.
Through Fastboot Mode
If the Recovery mode seems complicated, and the cheat sheet with service codes was not at hand, you can reset the device and bring it to a pre-sale state using the Fastboot utility. It is suitable for all smartphones and is available for download on the official developer resource.
Allows you to restore the device’s performance if, for example, you do not know how to unlock the picture password on Android or Android is frozen on the startup screen saver. For correct installation, you will need to perform a number of sequential steps:
- After the installation is complete, unpack the archive to the root directory of the C drive, then download the “Java Development Kit”, install the package, accepting the licensing terms;
- Go to the “Android SDK” folder, open it, and find and run the “Android” file among the contents;
- Install the package, having previously checked the “Accept license” option.
To perform a Hard Reset in Fastboot mode, you will need to unlock the bootloader first. You can do it yourself only on Nexus devices. For owners of smartphones or tablets from other manufacturers, you will need to contact the developers, go to the official resource and fill out the appropriate form. The application should indicate the reason for unlocking. When choosing this method, it should be borne in mind that the consideration of the application may take some time, and sometimes the waiting period lasts a month.
The bootloader is unlocked in Fastboot mode. To perform a hard reset with the “Bootloader” unlocked, you need to go to Fastboot mode, and then connect the gadget to your computer in USB debugging mode. When the preparation is complete, enter certain commands in sequence on the command line:
- adb reboot bootloader;
- fastboot erase userdata or fastboot-w;
- fastboot reboot.
You can enter commands on Windows 10 in PowerShell. In this case, add “. \” At the beginning of each line.
After that, the device will reboot, and it will look similar to what it was at the time of purchase.
Preparing for a factory reset
Naturally, the question arises: after resetting the settings on Android, what will disappear irrevocably? Contacts, phone book, all installed applications will disappear. All in all, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
The phone book can then be restored if you have a password for your Google account. Just in case, I copied important contacts from Android by hand into a notebook, so that later it would be powerless to restore them from.
Another important point. Since a virus can sit in Android, you don’t need to log into any accounts where passwords are entered. If you have logged in somewhere from your phone recently, then it is better to change the passwords (not from Android, of course, but from a computer).
Having secured with phone contacts, you can reset the settings on the phone.
Save to PC
If you choose to completely reset your Samsung phone to factory settings, you can reset the data on your smartphone to your PC. For this:
- connect the device to the computer using a USB cable;
- find a new device in the Computer folder (you do not need to install additional drivers, because the connection is made using the MTP protocol);
- enter the internal memory and select the files you want.
After that, it remains to reset the necessary data from the phone to the PC. There are situations when nothing is reflected in the internal memory. This happens when the Samsung display is locked with a pattern, password or PIN. After unlocking, the files should appear.
BackUp is required
After Hard Reset completes, Samsung will delete user files, apps, and account information. If you reset the parameters through Recovery. nothing will be saved, if using the “Settings” tab. before starting the procedure, perform synchronization and backup.
- Go to device options, then open the “Cloud and accounts” tab.
- Click on “Samsung Cloud”. The cloud storage management menu will open. Here you can see the date and time of the last synchronization and the available volume in the cloud.
- Tap “Backup Options”.
- If the switch next to the item “Automatic backup” is activated, it means that your information is regularly uploaded to Samsung Cloud.
- Click Archive Now if Scheduled Copy is disabled.
- It usually takes a few minutes to boot to a virtual disk.
- After the factory reset, open Cloud & Accounts again. Go to Samsung Cloud and tap “Restore”. After logging into your personal account, information, contacts and media files will be downloaded to your phone again.
How to hard reset on Samsung phone remotely
This method is designed for lost mobile devices that can no longer be found. Remote hard cleaning of user files to prevent potential theft of usernames and passwords from the gadget.
Find the item My Account in the Russian version of the interface. Then select the phone search mode. It is also available for any Android devices that are signed in with a user account.
Selecting the Delete all data from the device item allows you to clear its memory without direct access to the gadget.
Attention! To verify the right to this irreversible operation, Google will require a password to access your account. If double authorization is enabled, and the SMS cannot be read on the phone, it is lost, then use the opportunity to send the code to the linked e-mail address.
Delete Google Account
Without deleting the Google account, the user will not be able to perform other actions in the future. After a complete cleaning, the gadget will require you to log into the account that was on the device earlier, respectively, it will restore all the data that was previously on the phone. Since the user does not need this, deleting the account is one of the important parts.
- Open settings. This can be done by going to the main screen and finding the settings icon, or by pulling out the top control panel and opening the settings through it;
- After that, in the settings we find the item “Cloud and accounts”. Depending on the version of the phone, the name of this item will be shown. The second possible name is “Accounts and Archiving”.
- Having opened this field, we find the item “Accounts” and go to it;
- After that, we click on the Google account, which is located in the “Personal” section;
- Click on the “Delete account data” button and agree to delete it from the device;
- After that, the account will be deleted on its own.
After that, you can only proceed to further cleaning the device, erasing all data on it.
Deleting a Google Account
Before you can roll back to Samsung factory settings, you need to delete your Google account. If you do not do this work, after the reset, the account that was active before the reset is requested. Without entering data, it will not work to restore the smartphone.
To delete your Google Account on Android 9 and above, please do the following:
go to Cloud & Accounts and Accounts;
if you suddenly forgot your password, click on the Forgot your ID and password link, and then follow the prompts;
If you need to delete your Samsung account from Android before version 9, do the following:
specify the required account (the one that you want to reset);
click on the Menu at the bottom left or three dots;
select the uninstall section and confirm the action.
If you suddenly forgot your password, proceed as described above.
How to reset to factory settings
To do this, on the Android Samsung phone, tap Applications. Settings, in which we are looking for the “Backup and reset” option.
Going to “Archive and reset”, we find there “Personal data”, and in them. “Reset data”.
Copy important information
You need to copy important information so that the user does not restore it with his own hands afterwards. With the built-in Smart Switch application, the user will be able to save all the data he needs, including:
- Contacts, contact book and all calls;
- All SMS. messages, correspondence and mail data;
- Music, photos, videos, audio documents and all other similar files;
- Wallpaper backgrounds;
- All applications, their settings.
You can see how the application works in this video.
Further, after installing and checking the cable, you need to apply the following algorithm:
Download the program to your computer and connect Samsung with a cable;
If the device is connected, it will be detected on the PC. Click on the “” button;
We find and select the data that we would like to archive, click on the agreement;
Click on the “Backup” button;
Thus, you can easily copy data using system and official applications that can be downloaded on a PC.
Resetting a Samsung smartphone using the menu
Open the “Settings” application using the icon on the desktop.
Here you find the item “Data reset”, tap on it.
You see a message about what data will be erased from your smartphone when you reset. The list is quite long. If you need to save any information, make a backup first (save a copy of the data on another medium).
There is a Reset button at the bottom of the page. Click on it.
The last step remains, but here you need to stop and find out the following: if the smartphone is tied to a Google account, then after the data is reset, the system will ask you to enter the password for this account. What’s wrong with that, some users may ask? In general, nothing, but if you forgot the password for your Google account and cannot recover it, then unlocking your smartphone after resetting is possible only through the service center! Therefore, we recommend unlinking your account following this instruction. In addition, if the smartphone is tied to a Samsung account, you will need to enter the password for this account. without this action, the reset is impossible. If you don’t remember the password, use the recovery instructions.
When you are ready to reset, click on the Delete All button. The smartphone will restart and start wiping data. When the cleaning is over, the smartphone will boot normally. The reset may take some time depending on the amount of data in memory.
Resetting Samsung Phone Using Buttons
Also, a reset can be done using the recovery menu. The method is relevant if, for example, the touch screen does not work.
The smartphone must be turned off. If the device is turned on and it is possible to turn it off, press the on / off key and hold it until the menu appears on the screen.
The smartphone is turned off. Now you need to launch the recovery menu. Depending on the smartphone model and Samsung firmware, this can be done in different ways. In our case, the S8 model is used, which means that you need to hold down the power, volume up and Bixby keys at the same time, holding them until the smartphone is turned on.
Then release the Power key while holding the Volume Up and Bixby buttons until you see something like this:
And on the Samsung Galaxy A50, which does not have a Bixby key, it is even simpler. the power and volume keys. On older Samsung devices. volume up, power and Home keys.
You do not need to press anything. the menu recovery should load. Use the sound keys to navigate the menu and select the Wipe data / factory reset item using the power key.
Then move to Yes and confirm the action. Reset will start. All unsaved data will of course be deleted.
At the end of the process, select Reboot system now.
The smartphone will restart normally.
Friends! If our site helped you or you just liked it, you can help us develop and move on. To do this, you can:
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- Subscribe to our group.
After the reset is made, when logging in, you will need to enter the data of the Google account that was linked to the phone.
Therefore, in order not to get into an unpleasant situation, make sure that you know exactly the details of your Google account, and if you are going to sell your phone, be sure to delete your account from your phone before resetting.
If at the time of the reset, you were not logged into your existing Google account, you may receive a message with the following content:
An unauthorized attempt was made to reset the device to factory settings. Connect to a Wi-Fi or mobile network to verify your identity.
Do not be afraid of him, just enter the details of your account, which is used on the phone.
Factory Reset on Samsung Galaxy from Menu
So, if the preparatory part is done, and you can go to the smartphone settings menu, to reset the Galaxy to factory settings, do the following:
- Go to smartphone settings
- Go to the “General Settings” section. If there is no item, go to step 3
- Open “Reset” (Archive and Reset or Privacy, Archive and Reset)
- Open “Reset” (Reset device or Delete all)
- Click on the “Reset data” button (Reset device)
In parentheses are alternative names of menu items that may appear in different versions of Android.
If necessary, confirm the operation, after which the reset will begin. It usually takes a few minutes.
After the smartphone is turned on, it will be in a state “out of the box”, as if you just bought it.
Things to do before resetting?
Before performing a reset, there are two main points to pay attention to:
A factory reset deletes all data from your Galaxy, including games, apps, photos, and contacts. That is why it is called that, because it returns the smartphone to its factory state.
Therefore, we recommend that you back up your Galaxy data before performing a reset. To do this, with the official instructions of Samsung.
How to Factory Reset Samsung Galaxy?
Resetting Samsung Galaxy to factory settings (Factory Reset, Hard Reset) will help restore normal operation of the smartphone in case of a failure. In addition, it should definitely be done before selling the phone in order to delete all unnecessary data.
In the instructions below, you will learn how to prepare and reset your Galaxy smartphone through the menu and physical buttons. The instruction is relevant for most devices of the Galaxy line, including S7, A5, J2, as well as more “recent” models.
Reset settings on Samsung Galaxy with buttons
If you cannot enter the smartphone menu, you can hard reset the Samsung Galaxy using a combination of buttons, which will depend on the available buttons on your phone model.
Turn off your phone. Further, the following options are possible:
- If there is a physical Home button, as in the picture below, you must simultaneously press and hold the Power, Home and Volume Up buttons.
- If there is no Home button and there is a Bixby button, you must simultaneously press and hold the Power, Bixby and Volume Up buttons.
- If there are no Home and Bixby buttons, hold down the Power and Volume Up buttons at the same time
The further procedure is the same for all options:
- After the Samsung Galaxy logo appears on the screen, release the “Power” button
- Hold the rest of the buttons until you go to the Recovery menu (usually about 5 seconds)
- In the menu that appears, select “Wipe data / factory reset” (to navigate the menu, use the volume up / down buttons
- Confirm selection by pressing the power button
- Then select “Yes” (Delete all user data)
- Press the power button
- After deleting the data, click on Reboot system now
Your Samsung Galaxy should reboot and power on for further setup. As mentioned above, you will need to enter the details of the Google account associated with the phone.
In this tutorial, we showed you how to reset your Samsung Galaxy to factory settings. In preparing the article, materials from the official Samsung website were used. If something doesn’t work out for you, write about it in the comments.
How to reset Google settings on your phone?
To erase all data from your phone, reset it. This procedure is also called formatting or resetting to factory settings.Preparing for a factory reset
- Open your phone settings.
- Click Accounts.
- Here you will find your google username.
What happens if you reset all settings on iPhone?
Reset all settings. All settings (including network settings, keyboard dictionary, Home screen design, location and privacy settings, Apple Pay cards) will be deleted or reset to their default settings. Data and media files are not deleted.
How to Factory Reset Samsung?
Factory reset methods
- Go to settings, select “General settings”.
- Select the “Reset” menu.
- Find the item “Reset data” or “Reset device”.
- Select the option “Reset”, “Reset device” or “Delete all”.
- Start deleting all information and rebooting the device.
How to remove everything from Samsung?
How to Erase All Data on Samsung Galaxy
- Open the application menu
- Click “Settings”
- Scroll down and click on “Backup” and “Reset”
- Click “Factory data reset”
- Click “RESET DEVICE”
- Click DELETE ALL
How to undo a factory reset on Android?
Go to the device settings menu and select the “Restore and reset” item. At the bottom of the list, click on the “Reset settings” button. A menu will appear informing you about the deletion of personal data. To confirm, you need to press the button “Reset phone settings”.
How to factory reset Samsung A30?
- First, turn off the gadget
- Hold down for a while Volume Turn on
- When we see a picture with a green robot or Samsung logo on the display, we stop pressing the buttons
- Select the wipe data / factory reset item by applying the Volume Control and confirm the selection by pressing the Power button.
What is the code to reset the settings on Samsung?
The first method to reset the settings is to dial the following code: ###. A screen will appear where you need to click on the “Reset phone” option. The second code for a factory reset is 27673855 #. It is used to execute Format Factory and phone flashing.
How to reset Samsung if you forgot your password?
If one of the combinations suits, the service menu will appear on the screen. In it, using the volume buttons as up and down buttons, select the Recovery item, and then the Wipe data / factory reset command. Confirm the execution of the reset.