Power settings in Windows 7
So, you have a Windows 7 operating system and the monitor screen quickly goes blank, whether it is a laptop or a stationary computer?!
We go to the Power supply section. To do this, simply right-click on the power supply icon on the Taskbar (as shown in the screenshot below) and select Power supply in the context menu that appears:
If you DO NOT see the power icon on the taskbar, then click on the small triangle icon (in the picture to the left of the power icon) with the left mouse button and find the power icon.
You can enter the Power supply in the second way.
Start menu. Control Panel:
Next, select System and Security:
And Power Supply:
So, whether we entered the Power supply section through the Taskbar or through the Start menu, now in the selected power plan we click on the link with its settings:
And already here we can configure the way we need:
How long does it take to dim the display (monitor) or turn it off so that it goes out completely, as well as when it puts the computer into sleep mode and adjust the screen brightness.
over, for a laptop, this can also be configured separately: Here are the batteries or From the network.
And, of course, after changing the settings, you need to save them for them to take effect:
So, if your monitor (laptop) screen goes blank quickly enough, try here to increase the time in the appropriate parameters (when the display is dimmed and turned off).
Since we have “climbed” into these settings, then, perhaps, it will be interesting for someone to delve into the additional settings:
But, this does not apply to the Raised Topic, so I will leave it for independent development, especially since everything is quite intuitive there.
The monitor screen goes off quickly. What to do
I received a letter asking that the monitor screen goes off quickly. Verbatim:
Of course, there are serious problems with monitors, and finding solutions to such problems can be quite serious business. So in some cases, even calling a specialist is indispensable.
But, also in many cases, the monitor screen quickly goes out simply due to the installed power settings.
Therefore, first of all, novice users just need to pay attention to these settings, which we will do in this article.
Let’s talk about Windows 7 first, and then about Windows XP, so choose where you need to deal with the monitor screen.
Power settings in Windows XP
You have Windows XP operating system on your computer or laptop and you notice that the monitor screen goes blank quickly?!
We go to the Start menu. Control Panel:
Further, at the very end of the large list, we find Power Supply. We go there:
First, we choose a suitable power management scheme (as shown in the picture below), since perhaps some of the proposed schemes may suit us in terms of parameters (or at least approximately it may fit).
And we configure the parameters as we need. In particular, if, for example, we believe that the screen goes off quickly in our laptop, then in the Disconnect the display column, increasing the time (after how long to turn off the display):
Do not forget to click on the Apply button and then on OK for the changes to take effect.
So, if we think that the monitor screen on our computer (laptop) goes out quickly enough, then first of all we go to the Power supply to adjust it there. And here it was shown how to do it in Windows 7 and Windows XP.
If you are faced with a situation where not only the monitor screen turns off, but the laptop screen turns off completely, you can go to the article: the laptop screen turns off. What to do.
There are 4 main reasons that can lead to a change in the image on the monitor screen:
- Wrong resolution selected;
- The video card driver is not installed;
- Second display connected
- Monitor not configured correctly.
Let’s consider all the options separately and in detail.
How to restore and expand the monitor screen if it has narrowed? 4 reasons
Greetings to you, dear subscribers and readers of my blog! Quite often, Windows 10 users are faced with the fact that the screen has narrowed, the icons have grown, and the overall picture is rather fuzzy. How to expand the monitor screen when it has narrowed, and how to restore it, I will tell in the article below. The reader will be able to find out why this happens in Windows 7 and newer OS versions.
Sometimes users are faced with the fact that the image on a laptop or computer has changed after connecting a second display. Perhaps it is he who causes the change in the picture. You can check whether this can be done by disabling it, if the reason is in it, then it is eliminated by setting the resolution for the monitor screen and the second display separately for each. This is done as described in the first paragraph with the only difference that first the user selects monitor 1 and adjusts the resolution, then selects monitor 2 and adjusts his resolution for it.
The video card is the node that is responsible for the image. If the video card driver is not installed or it is outdated, damaged, the display may not be displayed correctly. You should download a fresh driver from the manufacturer’s website and install it. After reboot everything should start working correctly.
The second option is to simply update the driver. Better to use third-party apps. There is software from Intel. He will find the correct software version, tell you what changes the program will cause. If you update using standard Windows tools, then it is possible that the driver will not be found. Typically, standard Microsoft software finds a new driver 1 in 10 times. The rest of the time he writes that everything is installed correctly and this is not true.
If you have any difficulties with finding a driver for a video card, then I recommend taking the disks supplied with the PC and installing with it. The downside is that the driver is either new and needs to be updated.
For those who do not know the model of the installed video card, I recommend installing the Everest program on the PC, it gives out all the information about the stuffing of the system unit. Everything is simpler in a laptop. It is enough to look at the model of the device, it is written on stickers from the bottom of the laptop. Then just go to the manufacturer’s website and find your device. For all nodes on the site there are drivers, it remains only to choose the software that suits the operating system.
Incorrect desktop resolution
This can happen on a new device or a newly installed OS. Periodically, the effect is caused by applications and games with the ability to adjust the resolution.
Windows 7 needs to select properties on any area of the desktop, and they have “personalization”. On Windows 10, instead of “personalization” there is an item called “display settings”. He is interesting to us. For the 10th OS, the user will immediately go to the menu of interest on the 7th, you must additionally go to the “screen settings”. Then we just go through different resolution options and see which one will give the optimal image. After keeping your choice.
Setting up the monitor
Sometimes a failure occurs in the settings of the monitor itself. In this case, you will have to resort to the buttons, which are located on the device itself. There are several items on the menu. We are interested in the one that moves the picture left and right. It is enough to select this item and use the button to move the image so that it fills the entire screen. In addition, there is a picture setting that stretches it around the corners. Sometimes it is she who can help. It is also worth Paying attention to whether the display has a function to reset all settings. It is best to use it, since it will simply return the original state, and it was definitely correct.
Sometimes users are faced with expanding or shrinking the screen on social networks. This can happen in classmates or VK. What to do in this case? In fact, everything is very simple. The fact is that the scale of the image could be accidentally changed. increased or vice versa reduced. Setting up the original is easy. Press the CTRL button on the keyboard, and then use the wheel to scale the picture so as to Get the original version. The second way is to go to the browser settings and reset the scale to the usual value. Often this item does not even take a long time to look for, it is located in the main browser menu.
We have analyzed the main points that can change the image on the monitor. One of the above methods will help, otherwise the effect is caused by a hardware failure and service assistance will be required here.
Thanks for attention! See you soon on the pages of my blog! Best regards, Rostislav Kuzmin.
After you have found out the reason, you can start fixing the problem.
If you have a problem with incompatible applications, you need to find out with which one and remove it.
For this you need:
- Press CtrlShiftEsc at the same time to call the “Task Manager”. Then click “File”. “Run new task”.
- Enter compmgmt.Msc. Press Enter and go to the Computer Management window.
- Then select “Event Viewer”. “Windows Logs”. “System” and “Applications”.
View information about errors that have occurred recently and find out which program is causing the system to become unstable. After finding out the problematic application, remove it.
To do this, you need to perform two simple steps:
- Enter “This PC”. “Uninstall or change a program”.
- In the list of installed programs, find the one you are interested in and remove.
However, after uninstalling the incompatible application, the problem may persist. The fact is that some temporary files, registry entries and other “traces” of a remote program can cause the display to blink.
To clean the “tails” you need:
- Click RMB on the Start menu and select “Command Prompt (Administrator)”.
- After opening the system editor window, enter the sfc / scannow command and press Enter.
- If no errors were found, type the command dism / online / cleanup-image / restorehealth and confirm with the enter button.
- Next, download the CCleaner application from this link, Install and run.
- In the “Registry” tab, click the “Search for problems” button.
- Click “Fix”, and when a dialog box appears asking you to save backup copies of registry entries, click “Net”.
- It remains only to click on the button “Fix all”.
- After completing the registry cleaning operation, restart your computer.
Causes of problems
There are three main reasons for display blinking: video driver or application incompatibility with the operating system, or physical damage to the device.
Let’s look at everything in order:
- Minimize the browser and press AltCtrlDelete at the same time.
- In the list that appears, select “Task Manager”.
- When opening the Manager window, expand it to full screen.
- Scroll through the list of running applications and processes, go through the tabs.
If the flickering stops while using the Task Manager, the problem is in an incompatible application, which, most likely, was installed recently. Otherwise, the prerequisite is the incompatibility of the video driver (or its version) with the operating system.
Computer monitor flickering: solution to the problem
The problem is not very serious, and the discomfort is great. While working in word processors, surfing the Internet and watching movies, screen blinking is distracting, annoying and has a negative effect on a person’s vision. Therefore, let’s find out how to fix the flickering of the computer monitor.
Most likely, the problem lies in the driver. We need to find out some of the nuances:
- If the problem appeared after updating the video driver, you need it Rollback;
- If the problem appeared after updating the operating system, you need to update or reinstall the video driver;
- If nothing has been installed or updated, you need to carry your computer or laptop to the service center for a thorough diagnosis of the video card and monitor matrix.
So, if your situation is related to the first two points, follow these instructions:
- Restart your computer while holding down the Shift key. After a while, a window will appear in which you need to click “Diagnostics”. “Additional parameters”. “Boot options”.
- Press F5 to boot the system in safe mode (with network driver support).
- Find the video card in the “Task Manager”, double-click on it and select the required action, depending on the specifics of the problem.
Following all the recommendations, you will solve the problem of display flickering on your computer. If the defect is not eliminated, the reason lies in the physical damage to the board. To diagnose the equipment Contact the service center.
Connected monitor or TV
- First you need to try to disconnect the additional device from the laptop.
- If after that the screen returned, then the problem is in the difference in resolutions between the laptop monitor and the TV or the second monitor.
- The next time you connect, you will need to select the desired display, and change the resolution manually in the “Screen Resolution” option.
Through the settings of the OS itself
- Call the desktop context menu and go to the “Personalization” section.
The fastest and easiest way is to use hotkeys. Special combinations in which a particular command is triggered:
- “CtrlAlt”. flips the screen and all open windows;
- “CtrlAlt”. return to the initial position;
- “CtrlAlt →”. will return the image 90 degrees clockwise;
- “CtrlAlt ←”. rotate counterclockwise by 90 degrees.
General Technique for Troubleshooting Monitor Problems
1) We look at the physical connection of the monitor to the motherboard connector. We try to pull out and reinsert the cable. 2) We check with our hands the serviceability of the cable (are there any kinks). 3) Check the monitor power connection. 4) If the image does NOT appear on the monitor, then most likely the video card is covered. You need to take another and try to see if the monitor works with it. If not, then the end of the monitor has come. 5) If you still saw the image, but it is distorted, then go again to the context menu of the desktop. Screen resolution. Here you need to set the standard resolution of your monitor, specified in the instructions. If CRT monitors (similar to TVs) allow you to change the resolution without any problems, then in their LCD counterparts only the standard one should be. Otherwise, the image will be blurry. 6) If the image looks like a ladder, like here (best seen on the cart shortcut): then go to the additional parameters (as in point 2 of the solution to my problem), go to the tab “Monitor” and at the bottom there is a color quality mode switch. So there you need to select 32 bits (True Color): Then the image will become smooth and the gradients will be invisible:
Smooth image with normal gradients
7) If the text still looks fuzzy, crumpled, like printed by a printer, in which ink is running out, then most likely you have disabled the Clear Type mode. To turn it on, all in the same screen setting at the bottom, click on “Make text and other elements larger or smaller”. A panel will appear:
Make text and other elements larger or smaller
On the left in the menu, go to “ClearType Text Settings”. And in the window that appears, put a check mark “Enable ClearType”. At the same time, you can immediately see the changes and concepts of what’s what on the monitor. Press the button next and choose the best text options for you. It is not difficult there, so I will not provide screenshots.
Customizing ClearType Text
8) If the interface elements on the screen look small, then in the menu that we entered in paragraph 7, select “Other font size (dots per inch)”. A window for selecting a scale will appear:
Here you can adjust the scale to within 1%. However, I do not advise you to get carried away, because, for example, at 140% magnification, not all elements will fit on the screen. Especially at low resolution, like mine. 9) If there are any stripes, blurring or other artifacts on the monitor, then you can update the video card drivers. To do this, go along the following chain “context menu of my computer. Management. Device Manager”.
In the middle window, go to the video adapters and click on the name of the video card. In the pop-up window, go to the tab “Driver”.
Updating video card drivers
Here we choose “Automatic search for updated drivers ”. I found drivers without problems. If you cannot update the drivers in this way, then go to the manufacturer’s official website, find your video card model, download the latest (or penultimate) version of the driver and update manually. It is better to download the penultimate drivers, because the latter may be raw (unfinished). If the picture is still displayed incorrectly, then there may be program conflicts. I myself did not come across such, but on the Internet I met people who told that after reinstalling the system everything worked perfectly. You can try this method as a last resort. I will not talk about color calibration here. Because this is already an improvement in the reality of displaying a picture. And here either special tools or skills (for amateur tuning) are needed. I’m 100% sure that even those lying on the surface did NOT mention a bunch of details. So if there are any problems, please contact us, we will think together.
Screen narrowed. reasons and solution
The narrowing of the monitor screen can be caused by:
- Wrong screen resolution (for example, the selected resolution is designed for a 16: 9 ratio with a 4: 3 monitor or vice versa)
- The video card driver is not installed;
- TV or second monitor connected;
- Monitor set up incorrectly.
How to return the screen to its normal size. effective ways
Sometimes there are situations when, after turning on the computer, the image is strikingly different from normal: the screen becomes cropped, changes the scale, or even completely flips. The reasons can be both technical and software. Let’s consider ways how to solve this problem.
Returning the screen to its normal position
. Troubleshooting Monitor (Image Shifting)
Hello! Today there will be a small note about such an everyday problem, which may not be common, but annoying decently. If we discard the phrase in brackets of the title of the article, then this topic and in a number of extensive articles cannot be fully disclosed. In fact, I will talk about one little problem and directions to dig when the second problems arise.
How I solved the problem?
Everything turned out to be very simple. It was enough to change the frequency of the monitor (LCD monitor). Now I’ll show you how it’s done. 1) Go to the desktop context menu, Screen Resolution (in Windows 7). 2) A menu with screen settings appears. Click on “Extra options”. 3) the characteristics of your video adapter (video card) will appear. Go to the tab “Monitor”. Here’s an important dropdown menu. “Screen refresh rate”. We set the maximum screen refresh rate.
By default, I had 60 Hz, which was the cause of the problem. After that, the image should move to its place.
A black screen and cursor may also be the result of an enabled reactivation service. Accordingly, the solution is to disable it.
Using “Explorer” or any other file manager, you need to enable the display of hidden objects and find the Windows Activation Technologies directory. On 64-bit systems, it is located directly in the Windows directory, on systems with 32-bit architecture, you should look for it in the System32 folder. Next, you need to delete both the folder and all of its contents (if it turns out to be impossible to delete the entire directory at once, you will have to delete the elements inside it manually one by one). After that, you need to perform a complete reboot of the system. Perhaps after that the black screen and the user’s cursor should no longer be disturbed.
Similar actions can be performed in the services section (stop and disable the start of the process), but it will take longer.
Black screen and cursor on Windows startup: what to do?
Despite all the attractiveness of the tenth version of the Windows operating system, after installing it or installing updates, you can often find moments when, instead of the expected system boot, a black screen and a cursor appear, which sometimes may be absent. What is the reason for this phenomenon and how to deal with it.
Black screen and cursor when starting Windows 10 can be removed by several methods. However, the simplest solution may be to forcibly shutdown the computer or laptop and then reboot (the method, of course, is quite barbaric). But after that, either the hard disk can be checked for damage to system files and bad sectors, or the system recovery tool will start working.
In the second case, all operations will be performed automatically without user intervention. It is very likely that after half an hour of waiting, depending on the hardware configuration, everything will be back to normal. If this solution does not work, you can use either an installation disc or a recovery disc (or a USB flash drive), but you need to take care of creating such a media in advance.
Black screen and cursor when starting Windows 10: what is the reason?
In general, for all operating systems of the Windows family, such a problem, as a rule, is a consequence of the incorrect operation of the video adapter, despite the fact that when the computer is turned on, the BIOS signals that everything is in order with the system and all devices are working normally (this is determined by the length of the signal from the system speaker ).
But it’s not that simple. The operating system itself is such that the graphics accelerator is not always directly related to the problem of a black screen appearing at startup. Not everyone knows what to do. In the meantime, it is worth Pay attention to some of the components of the OS itself. First of all, this is incorrect operation or malfunction of the explorer.Exe service, disabled fast startup, activated re-licensing, outdated, incorrectly installed or missing video card drivers.
Restarting the explorer.Exe service
Another option that users face when trying to understand why the black screen and the cursor hang constantly is associated with the Explorer service (not to be confused with “Explorer”).
Alternatively, if the system still comes to its senses, you can use restarting the process (if the screen hangs, you will have to act blindly). Here you need to call the “Task Manager”, complete the explorer.Exe process through the RMB menu, and then start again. There is also a quick restart command in the menu, but, I think, it is not effective enough, so it’s still better to first complete the process completely, and only then restart it.
Another method can be used. For normal loading, at startup, the spacebar is pressed several times, and then the Tab key five times.
Problem: black screen at system startup. Updating video card drivers
Updating video card drivers is a fairly effective method. It often helps in situations where the system has two cards. discrete and integrated. Most of the crashes concern discrete cards.
In this case, you can switch to the integrated accelerator. In parallel, you will have to reinstall or update the drivers for the main adapter (it is advisable to completely remove them first). This is done in the “Task Manager” by calling the appropriate commands in the RMB menu.
Safe mode and command line
Black screen and cursor when starting Windows 7 or 10 can be removed by another versatile method that many computer users do not know. You need to use the command console (it doesn’t matter if the system is loaded or when starting from removable media).
In the installed system, booted in Safe Mode, the command line must be launched as an administrator; when booting from a disk or flash drive, a choice is NOT required. The line bcdedit / set advancedoptions true is written in the console, after which, upon restart, you can select the tools for working with the system.
The command line in existing systems is called through the Run menu with the cmd combination; in the recovery console on removable media, Shift F10 is used.
In the console itself, you need to register sfc / scannow and wait until the integrity check of system files is completed. Perhaps this procedure will help. Indeed, well, do not overwrite the entire bootloader and boot area (although this is quite simple to do).
Enabling Fast Startup
All actions to configure the system, of course, should be done in safe mode (This is optional, but recommended).
But the black screen and the Windows 10 cursor may also appear when setting the power supply scheme, which for some reason has failed. In this case, you need to go to the Corresponding section from the “Control Panel” or call it from the PCM menu to the battery icon on the laptop. On the main page, you just need to tick the fast start time when waking up from sleep or hibernation (if enabled).
Reverting to the old system
If the tenth version was installed over an existing one in the form of an update (for example, Windows 7), you can use the return to the old OS tool (only if the 30-day period from the moment of installation has NOT expired).
To do this, go to the parameters section and select the update and security section there, and then use the appropriate period.
By the way, after that a black screen and a cursor may appear when Windows 7 starts (meaning the situation after returning to the old OS). And here you need to look for the reason already in the graphics accelerator drivers.
How to expand the screen by adjusting the resolution
Those who have reinstalled the operating system often know that the first time the monitor starts up, it displays standard settings and a screen resolution of 800 × 600 pixels. This happens for all versions of Windows. Thus, the developers offer us to independently adjust the required screen resolution for comfortable future work. For older computers, this permission may be sufficient to work primarily with textual information. But for modern digital machines, such a resolution, of course, is unacceptable.
Instructions on how to change the resolution in Windows.
Screen Resolution Setting
The system often advises you to select the maximum value for your screen. You can follow her recommendations. It is advisable NOT to touch other settings here. Click “Apply” and “Ok”.
Reasons for failure
There are several reasons why your screen has shrunk to a certain size. One of them is that the operating system has a corresponding driver. Yakiy shows her how to work with a graphic picture. An additional monitor may be connected to your computer. Yakiy receives the signal from the video card and does not allow the second device to receive it. Certain monitor settings may be incorrectly configured. How to eliminate these causes. let’s find out.
Lack of video card driver
The reason is also quite common. often occurs after installing / reinstalling the operating system, or after trying to update the video card drivers.
To check this option, we advise you to read the article in the correct search, update and installation of the video card driver.
Connecting an additional monitor
You can also face the configuration of the displayed video on the screen of your device when connecting a second monitor. Most often this is necessary for broadcasting at several points at once or when working with multiple files at the same time. In this case, the computer can remember the connected equipment and apply its parameters to the main equipment. If you used two identical monitors, then the problem does not have to be even while maintaining its characteristics.
The situation is different when connecting a second monitor with sharply different output characteristics.
In this situation, there is a solution, it consists in the following action plan:
- Try turning on both devices at the same time. If the picture is not distorted, then the parameters correspond and suit each monitor.
- When narrowing the format, disconnect additional equipment. Returning to normal values indicates that the reason lies in the second monitor.
- In this case, go to the permissions and settings of the technique through a computer.
- Adjust everything as described above and select the desired metric. The key here is adjusting to the main screen. Do not forget to select the device you want to edit in the menu.
A less common cause, but it also occurs. To solve it, go to the control panel using the start key. In the relevant section you can read information about the available drivers and video cards. Usually, the computer has standard factory versions, which over time may become outdated and NOT provide the full scope of all system capabilities.
In this case, you should go to the official website and download the required update. After that, the program will offer to remove the hardware and install a new one, or just update the driver. Choose one of the options and wait for the download. After that, restart your computer and then check the image settings.
You can try to change the settings of the monitor itself, the size of the resulting image also depends on this. If the monitor is adjusted to some values, but others are set in the menu, then there will be a display problem. Parameters can be changed manually or automatically. Since the difference is a special comment, we recommend using the AUTO button on the front panel to quickly select the appropriate configuration. The system will do everything for you and will quickly help you return the video to its previous values.
If none of the above list helped you, you should consult with friends or contact people who understand technical devices.
Quite often, users of the Windows operating system face a problem when the image on the monitor shrinks or is not displayed on the full screen. All this can also be accompanied by an increase in desktop icons and general blurring of the image.
In this article we will tell you why this situation can happen and how to restore and expand the monitor screen if it has narrowed.
Incorrect resolution in graphics settings
Most often, users who have recently changed the system software are faced with a similar situation. It can also happen after opening computer games with modified video parameters. If after that your screen is narrowed and the video shows poorly, you should perform the following manipulations step by step:
- Start the device and open the desktop.
- Right-click on any free space to display a list of possible actions.
- From the proposed options, select one of the possible for editing depending on the software version: resolution, parameters or screen personalization.
- When choosing personalization, additionally go to the screen line, and then to the resolution settings.
- Now all that remains is to choose a specific value for your monitor. Usually, next to a suitable format is the corresponding inscription with the value “recommended”. It matches the required parameters. If it doesn’t fit, go through all the options until the desired format and configuration appears.
If the picture is narrowed, we restore the size with the monitor buttons
If you are worried about how to expand the monitor screen, if the entire image has narrowed, how to restore it, for THESE purposes it is useless to touch the settings of the system itself. If there are black parts of the screen at the edges of the narrowed image, you need to adjust the picture on the monitor itself. As you might guess, it doesn’t matter what version of Windows 7 or 10 you have installed.
Buttons for settings on monitors from different manufacturers may differ in location and name.
The principle of action is the same:
- First of all, you need to get into the menu of your monitor. usually this is the largest button on the monitor panel and is located in the middle.
- Then select the image settings. this item may also be called differently.
- When the settings are displayed, select the screen orientation and use the arrows (buttons on the monitor panel) to select the desired size. So that the picture is positioned correctly, without running beyond the boundaries of the monitor and Do not leave black bars.
- Then Confirm the settings and exit the menu.
Monitor setting buttons
These options must be saved and NOT lost when all subsequent computers are turned on. If after restarting the monitor settings are not saved, your device is not working properly and needs a technical inspection by specialists.
Reasons why the screen is narrowing
In order to determine the correct sequence of actions for troubleshooting, you should find out the reason why the failure occurred. Typically, screen narrowing can occur for the following reasons:
- Incorrect configuration or accidental failure of parameters.
- Old driver version or format mismatch.
- The lack of a driver for the monitor video card.
- Connecting additional monitors may change the aspect ratio.
- A crash can occur when the system is rebooted and as a result of a factory reset.
- Random jump to other screen settings.
As you can see from the list presented, the case is related to the internal settings of the system. Recovery will NOT take you long and will NOT be difficult. In our article, we will talk about the available format extension options.
What to do if the screen on a laptop is narrowed
If you are reading these lines, then most likely you have encountered a problem when your monitor does not display a full picture, but narrowed at the edges. Sometimes changes also affect desktop icons. they become larger. Also, the picture may become blurry. This article will discuss how to expand the monitor screen with software and hardware if it has narrowed, and how to restore it.