Unfortunately, a common cause of laptop keyboard not working is Windows 10 update installed.
If you find problems with the keyboard after the next update, remove the updates.
To do this, go to system settings and select Update and security. Next. View the update log. You will see the recently installed updates, after which the laptop keyboard crashed. Click Uninstall updates and restart your laptop.
Update your keyboard driver.
Don’t waste time trying to figure out if there might be a problem with the driver. Just update it.
This is a common way to fix the keyboard not working problem on a laptop. It is also effective if individual keys do not work, and not the entire keyboard.
Right-click on Start and select Device Manager. Go to the Keyboards section and right-click on an available keyboard. Select Update Driver Software. Next. Automatic search for updated drivers. If it’s not a driver, Windows 10 will tell you that the device has the latest driver.
To be 100% sure that the problem is not with outdated laptop software and not with a conflict in the operation of individual components, we suggest you go to the manufacturer’s website and update the software manually.
To do this, in the basement or in the menu of the manufacturer’s official website, find the Drivers and Support (Drivers and Utilities) section. Enter the model or serial number of the device and update any suggested software.
Cleaning system junk and cleaning the registry.
It can also cause your laptop keyboard to stop working. In order to tidy up the Windows system, install the free version of the CCleaner program from the official website.
Clean the operating system and restore the integrity of the registry in accordance with our instructions. After that, restart your laptop.
Create a new task.
If the keyboard does not work after logging into your account. find the ctfmon.exe process through the task manager.
If it is not there, start manually via File-Start new task.
Then select the menu Edit. New. String parameter. Name. ctfmon, value.% systemroot% system32ctfmon.exe. Reboot your laptop.
Do not complete this step if you are not comfortable with the screwdriver in your hand. We will need to disassemble part of the laptop case and check why the keyboard does not work. One of the possible reasons is a ribbon cable connecting the keyboard to the motherboard.
Open a video on YouTube with a disassembly of your particular laptop model. Be sure to unplug it and remove the battery before starting work. Wear rubber gloves to avoid static electricity. Take pictures of every step of the disassembly so that there are no problems with assembling the laptop.
By lifting the upper part of the case with the keyboard, check if the ribbon cable is connected. The mount is short and well-fixed, but sometimes falls out (usually after a non-professional repair).
Disconnect the ribbon carefully (by pulling the white latch left and right). Check for any signs of oxidation or tearing. If everything is in order with the loop, most likely there is a problem with the microcontroller.
Take out the laptop battery.
It sounds strange, but it often helps. If the laptop keyboard stops working, disconnect the power completely.
Unplug the power cord, close the cover, turn the laptop over, and remove the battery. Check if it is swollen. If so, it is forbidden to use it, work from the network.
If the battery is okay, reinstall it and turn on the laptop.
Setting up laptop power.
If the keyboard in Windows sometimes does not work, but after restarting the system starts working again, try the following method.
Right-click on Start, select Power Management. In the right menu, find Advanced Power Options.
In the left menu of the window that opens, select Action of the power buttons. Uncheck the box Change settings that are currently unavailable.
Uncheck Enable Fast Startup. Save settings and restart your laptop.
Laptop keyboard not working: repair instructions
One of the most popular problems of laptop owners is the keyboard does not work on a laptop.
There can be a lot of reasons for this. both hardware and software. And you can often fix the problem yourself.
How do I turn on the keyboard on my laptop if it doesn’t work? We offer you 9 ways to fix your laptop, as well as temporary solutions to help you do without the built-in keyboard.
These tips are universal and apply to any laptop. ASUS, Lenovo, or another laptop manufacturer. The instruction assumes work in the Windows operating system. It doesn’t matter which version of the OS you have installed. Windows 10, Windows 7, Vista or Windows 8.
Checking the system for viruses
Often, such a problem can be provoked by various malware, while the mouse may also not work.
Download Dr.Web CureIt! and check it completely Windows for viruses or other threats. When you find them. get rid of everything you found.
If the uninstallation does not help, then reinstall the operating system, which means that important Windows files have been damaged. You can try to do a system restore first. Click on the Windows icon in the taskbar and copy the value there. “recovery options”, open the application and start the process.
Interesting! System Restore rarely helps in solving this problem, so the best thing to do is reinstall the OS.
Doesn’t work when logged in
In this case, most likely, a special service, ctfmon, did not start. Let’s turn it on.
Right-click on the taskbar and open the “Task Manager”. In it, go to “File”. “Start a new task”.
Enter. ctfmon.exe, and click on OK. If everything works, then add the service to startup.
Also, start a new task, but this time type. regedit.
Go to this path. \ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrenTVersion \ Run
In the window to the right of the left column with folders, click on an empty space where there is nothing with the right mouse button and create a string parameter. Give it a name. ctfmon. Open it and put the value.% systemroot% system32ctfmon.exe
Laptop keyboard not working: why and what to do?
The keyboard on a laptop can stop working due to various reasons. Many of them can be found by yourself and fixed, especially if the problem lies in the operation of the operating system or BIOS.
In this material, we will consider these reasons and solutions, how they can be easily corrected without resorting to the services of a master.
We recently looked at some interesting and useful methods by which you can quickly compress PDF online. Now we will consider in detail and with pictures what to do if the keyboard on a laptop stops working.
Important! To be able to type something while you can use the on-screen keyboard or any other wired USB model.
Determine the reason
Before starting, let’s make sure it works at all, for this you can try to enter the BIOS when you turn on the system by pressing the DEL key.
If you succeed in entering and navigating through the BIOS items, it means that the problem is in the system, and not mechanical. If it does not work, then just carry it to the service center, they will determine exactly what the problem is: a loop, a microcircuit or another, and they will immediately fix it.
Interesting! If only the right block with the number buttons does not work, then just press the Num Lock key and everything will work right away.
What to do if the keyboard does not work on a laptop
We will remove and re-restore the laptop keyboard drivers, often this method helps to bring it back to life.
Right-click on the Windows icon in the taskbar, and go to “Device Manager”.
Remove the keyboard from the appropriate section, and restart Windows. Sometimes there may be several devices at once. delete all.
If filled with water
First of all, immediately disconnect the laptop from the power supply and remove the battery from it. Never leave it on. a short circuit may occur.
Immediately take it to the service center so that it can be disassembled and dried there, you can hardly do this at home, because special tools may be needed.
It is not recommended to simply dry on a battery or a hair dryer. any moisture that gets on the board can cause oxidation of the contacts and they will have to be cleaned.
Important! If tea, coffee or other sugary drinks get in contact, even if they just wet the keyboard a little, it will most likely have to be disassembled. trivial sticking of the keys will occur. they will be sticky even when everything is dry.
Restarting the laptop
First of all, you need to do a hard reboot of the laptop so that the operating system boots with clean / updated parameters.
Press START and reboot the system or hold down the power button on the device and wait for the moment when the reboot starts, then release it.
Important! If this method does not work, you can pull out the battery for a few seconds, then insert it back. The effect will be the same.
Interesting! Such a reboot can be done once a month, so the laptop will work much faster and more stable each time after it. All cache files are flushed and Windows essentially boots up to date. Read more about this in the article. how to restart a laptop.
burned out microcircuit
The main reason, which is difficult to foresee in advance. this is when the microcircuit burned out. First of all, you should check the touchpad, as well as the ports that are located around the perimeter of the device. It is important to pay special attention to the USB connector and RJ-45 (for cable). When they are inoperative, you will need to contact a service center. If the warranty period has not yet expired, then a replacement must be requested. Only a person who has relevant experience in this area can get rid of such a problem.
If the ports have a working state, you can hope for a positive outcome. The most common cause may also be the ribbon cable that connects the motherboard to the keyboard. In such a situation, in order to open access to the socket, it will be necessary to disassemble the laptop. The keyboard is fastened using latches, which should be slightly pry off with a plastic card, and then remove the required module.
Laptop keyboard not working: what to do?
Don’t panic if your laptop keyboard isn’t working. What to do in such a case? In many situations, getting rid of this problem can be quite simple. In this case, the brand of the device used does not matter. The reason that provoked this breakdown can be completely different: the most elementary or quite serious.
viruses and driver crashes
When the failure has nothing to do with the hardware, then it should be looked for in the software area. Some viruses act in such a way that they can “destroy” the keyboard driver. To verify that this assumption is correct, you should scan the system for the possibility of introducing spyware. After the reboot process, you need to put the drivers in place. In many situations, these actions bring a positive result.
For these purposes, it is necessary to reboot by periodically pressing F8. With its help, you can call the menu for selecting additional boot methods. In it, you must select the usual “safe mode”. When the OS starts up, you should follow the steps described below.
You need to try to remove the problematic utility or click on “Roll Back”. The last action can bring results in a situation where a driver update was made before that, which affected the performance of this device. After that, the previously valid version of the software must be restored.
Open “My Computer” and then click on “Properties”.
We go to the “Dispatcher” and select a special section with the keyboard.
It has a certain look in the screenshot:
Right-click on the keyboard and open the “properties” item.
This item will be useful for owners of a separate digital block.
Some of them, through their carelessness, often press the Num Lock button, which ensures the operation of this unit. turns it on and off.
features of some models of prevention
When releasing devices, some manufacturers try to ensure the ideal quality of their work. As a result, when the battery is low, certain elements, including the keyboard, may stop working. To restore its full action, you need to connect the laptop to the network.
Users who prefer to eat at the time of work should be sure to clean the keyboard from crumbs. To do this, you can use a can with compressed air inside. Thanks to the high pressure, small food particles trapped in crevices and grooves will be quickly removed. It should be remembered that in no case should you use a damp cloth or screwdriver to get rid of them.
In order to get rid of the problem with a non-working keyboard, you need to carefully read the instructions described above. Initially, you can try to find a way out by checking the software system for viruses, etc. Quite often, spyware hides behind system files and disrupts the full operation of the device.
In addition, a combination of keys such as Fn NumLock, which activates the number pad, can also help. The installation of additional drivers taken from unknown sources can also be considered as a reason for the failure. You should also be careful when installing software utilities such as MKey that provide button remapping. In some situations, the system can take them for a threat and exit from a working state.
In any case, when these problems arise, do not despair and immediately buy a new laptop. If necessary, you can find a way out of this situation by connecting a stationary keyboard via the USB connector.
The keyboard on the laptop does not work, what to do?
The laptop keyboard stops working as often as the keyboard on a regular desktop computer. True, if the keyboard of an ordinary PC can be easily and quickly disconnected and a new one connected (at least for testing), then with a laptop it is somewhat more difficult
In general, there are many reasons why the keyboard does not work on a laptop. In this short article, I want to disassemble the most common.
If the keyboard stopped working suddenly, without any serious reason (for example, the device fell), then the first thing I recommend to do is to check whether it “does not work completely” or only in Windows?
The fact is that some viruses and especially drivers (for example, on Bluetooth), if they fail, can disable the touchpad and keyboard. The fastest way to check this is to go into the BIOS.
Fix Lenovo Keyboard Not Working Windows 10/8/7. [3 Solutions 2021]
If you entered the BIOS and the keys work there, then most likely the cause of the malfunction is in Windows. In this case, you can try booting into Safe Mode (or using the LiveCD) and check if the keyboard works. If it works. the reason is in Windows 99.99%! In this case, one of the easiest solutions to the problem is reinstalling Windows (or finding a faulty driver, you can find out in Device Manager).
Device Manager: Missing Drivers.
If you have not entered the BIOS, the keyboard does not work completely and the point is not in the drivers or Windows crash. In this case, I recommend trying to connect a mouse and keyboard to the USB port and see how they work. If they also do not work, the problem may be in the burnt chip on the mat. board (you can’t do without a service center).
As I said above, this is a very popular reason for keyboard failure. It occurs in most cases due to USB and Bluetooth drivers. To solve it: you can roll back the system (restore) if there are restore checkpoints; remove faulty drivers; reinstall Windows.
Go to the control panel and start recovery (in Windows 8/7: Control Panel \ All Control Panel Items \ Recovery).
You can also start recovery via a bootable USB flash drive (for more details on recovery: https://pcpro100.info/kak-vosstanovit-Windows-7/).
I have some good articles about this on my blog. I will give links to them here. In general, you need to: remove completely faulty drivers, and then download the drivers from the official website of the device manufacturer.
Is the battery OK
The fact is that some laptop models, due to the specific design, may not work correctly with the battery. Those. if it is connected to a laptop and is discharged (or simply does not work), then the keyboard may stop working. It is easy to check if you disconnect the battery from the laptop and connect it to the mains.
Notebook: bottom view (green arrow indicates space for the battery).
If the touchpad on the laptop works, the connected keyboard and mouse to USB also work. maybe it’s a cable: it could just move away (either due to loose contact, or when the device was moved). Also, the cable from the keyboard could be incorrectly connected if you recently removed the keyboard (for example, when cleaning a laptop, and indeed when disassembling the device).
A fracture (bend) of the cable is also not excluded (this may be due to an unsuccessful laptop design.
Laptop keyboard: flex cable for connecting to the device.
Important! To remove the keyboard from the laptop, pay attention to its outline: there will be small latches on the top and bottom (sometimes on the left and right) sides. It is convenient to pry them off with a regular screwdriver, and then carefully remove the keyboard. You need to act slowly, the train in some models is thin enough and it is very simple to damage it. If you have never disassembled your laptop before, you should probably contact the service center.
By the way, in some laptop models. removing the keyboard is not so easy, you must first unscrew the additional mount.
If multiple keys do not work
If dust (or small particles, crumbs) gets under the keys, they may stop working. Quite a common reason for the inoperability of individual keys on the keyboard. The fight against this scourge is simple: to clean the dust and not take the device to the kitchen (as many people like to do).
If a liquid containing sugar or salt (for example, tea or lemonade, juice) is spilled on the keyboard surface, the process of corrosion will begin. By the way, because of this, not only the keyboard can fail, but also the motherboard and other devices of the laptop.
- Disconnect from the power supply completely and as quickly as possible (remove the battery from the device case, disconnect the power supply);
- Turn the device over: so that all the liquid drains;
- Do not turn on the device until it is completely dry (usually 1-2 days).
- It is advisable to show the device at a service center. The fact is that even if the device works after switching on, the corrosion process that could begin is not excluded. And soon, the laptop may fail (especially if “aggressive” liquids have been spilled: coffee or tea with sugar, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, juices, etc.).
In my opinion, there are 2 effective ways to temporarily solve the problem.
1) Connecting an additional keyboard to the USB port (if, of course, they work).
2) Enabling the on-screen keyboard (it will especially help out if 1-2 keys do not work for you, which you need to press from time to time).
How do I enable the onscreen keyboard? Go to Control Panel \ Accessibility \ Accessibility, then turn it on.
With prolonged use, wear of internal parts, or rather conductive tracks, pressing mechanism or other parts, may occur.
Exactly what has worn out, you can find out by disassembling it and using a special device that measures the current strength. You can restore the tracks at any service center, this is done very quickly.
If moisture gets in
The most common reason for some keys not working is sticking. In this case, acidification of the contacts occurred, and in order for everything to start working back, it is necessary to completely disassemble the device and process the contacts and other parts with a special solution, more often with alcohol.
This is often difficult to do on your own, especially if it’s a laptop. Therefore, take it to the nearest service center and ask for it to be disassembled and cleaned. In time, everything about everything will take about 30 minutes. since the procedure is quite fast and affordable.
Important! If you have just flooded the keyboard with water, tea or other liquids, especially if it is a laptop, unplug it from the power supply to avoid a short circuit. And immediately take it to the service center to be cleaned if you do not know how to disassemble it yourself.
We clean from dirt
Dust, hair, and other debris can get caught in the key, preventing the contacts from triggering when pressed. At first, try simply blowing, shaking, brushing to remove dirt.
If it does not work, then the button can be removed by yourself, gently prying it with a flat screwdriver or a special tool. In this case, it is important to disconnect the keyboard itself from the power, if it is a laptop, disconnect it.
As soon as it is removed, you need to clean everything and wipe the contacts, preferably with an alcohol solution. Often this is what helps and the keys start to work, they stop sticking and unwanted actuations go away.
Important! It is highly not recommended to disassemble the keyboard yourself, especially if it is a laptop. It is easier, cheaper and faster to take the device to a service center, they will do everything as quickly as possible.
Unlocking certain keys on a laptop
It may well be that certain keys were simply locked in Windows with special codes, to unlock them, press the buttons at the same time: FN WIN, FN Num Lock, FN Pause.
If it didn’t work, then that’s not the problem. By the way, it is better to look at such codes for your laptop in the instructions, they may differ on different models.
The button on the keyboard does not work. what to do?
Some buttons on the keyboard of a laptop or computer do not work. this situation occurs quite often and for the most part you can solve it yourself.
There may be several reasons, and almost all of them can be corrected without having to carry the device for repair. This problem does not always require replacing the entire keyboard and this is very good.
You already know what to do if the keyboard does not work, there we examined in detail the reasons and options for solving its complete inoperability. Now you will learn what to do if some keys on the keyboard of a laptop or computer do not work.
If such a problem began a year or two after the end of the warranty period, then most likely this is a feature of this keyboard model.
In case of mechanical damage, anything can happen, from damage to the cable, key mechanism, to a broken board. In any case, you need to do the disassembly and look inside what was broken.
In the case of a laptop, this must be done, since, in addition to the keyboard itself, other components could be damaged. If you do not know how to disassemble. take it to the master.
Interesting! In most cases, it is cheaper for a laptop to purchase a new keyboard and install it in a service center than to repair an old one if it is severely damaged. Consider this when choosing.
The button on the keyboard on the laptop and PC does not work
Let’s immediately consider the reasons why some keys on the keyboard do not work and what needs to be done in this situation in order to solve the problem as quickly as possible.
Software bugs are very rarely the cause of this failure. You can, of course, try to remove the gadget drivers in the device manager and restart the system, but this is unlikely to help.
Perhaps this is the most common answer to the question of why the keyboard does not work. The symptoms are very simple: after turning on a device that has not been used for a while, the keyboard refuses to function. What can be done in this case?
- Reboot the laptop using the mouse. In more than half of the cases, this procedure helps to resolve the software glitch. In the absence of a positive effect, go to the next point.
- Restart the reboot and in the process enter the device BIOS (TAB, F10 or DEL keys). If at least one of the indicated keys worked, then the keyboard is definitely not damaged.
- Exit BIOS and finish booting the system. Next, you need to return to the previous version of the software, when the laptop keyboard was functioning normally.
- If the previous methods did not help, you will need to reinstall the OS. It should be understood that this procedure will entail the removal of all information from the laptop’s memory, so you should resort to it only as a last resort, not forgetting to copy important data to removable media.
It is possible that something has broken inside the device. Most often this happens with a train. a special cable that connects the pins on the motherboard to the connector located on the display. Those who know how to disassemble and assemble laptops assure that it is not difficult to find a loop. In addition, you can find many video tutorials on this topic on the Internet. However, before proceeding with disassembly, make sure that the warranty period has already expired. A device that is under warranty should not be disassembled. it is better to take it to the place where it was purchased, or to a service center. There will be a free repair or exchange for a new, serviceable device.
If you managed to disassemble the device and find the loop, you should:
- Inspect the cable for damage or oxides.
- If there are none, wipe the train with a regular eraser. It is better not to use alcohol and other chemicals, so as not to spoil the part.
- Assemble the device, turn on and check the keyboard performance.
Dust and dirt
If the keyboard does not work on your laptop, dust may be the cause. It is assembled in large quantities under the buttons and leads to malfunctions up to the complete failure of the component. What to do in this case?
- Remove buttons from the keyboard (this is easy on most laptops).
- Clean off dust, remove dirt and clean contacts with a rubber eraser.
- If you cannot remove the keys, you will have to disassemble the device, which is almost half of the laptop.
It’s no secret that many of us like to have a snack, drink tea or coffee at work. And at least once this or that is spilled on the laptop keyboard. At the same time, the differences between a desktop and a laptop are that for the first such a case is not critical, and for the second it is associated with big troubles, up to a complete failure.
If the keyboard gets wet, you need to:
- turn off the power of the laptop;
- get out the battery;
- turn the device over so that the liquid flows out;
- disassemble the laptop and put it in a dry place;
- you can use a hairdryer to dry.
Drying of the device is carried out within 2 weeks, after which you can assemble it, turn it on and test it for performance.
What to do if the keyboard does not work on a laptop
Keyboard. This is a set of keys for controlling the laptop and entering information, arranged in a specific order. If its presence is not required for tablets and smartphones, then it is simply impossible to operate a laptop without this device. Therefore, if the keyboard turns off, for further work it is necessary to identify and eliminate the cause as soon as possible.
In most cases, a non-working keyboard does not mean that you will have to change the laptop itself. There are many possible causes of breakdown, and, as a rule, they can be eliminated on their own. The most common factors that the keyboard stopped working are:
- crash in software;
- damaged drivers;
- problems with the laptop;
- ingress of dust, dirt or liquid.
The only option that requires repairing a laptop or keyboard is the breakdown of components or the device as a whole. In other cases, you can solve the problem yourself.
Drivers directly affect the performance of a device, especially in laptops, where each component has its own driver. And if one is damaged or removed, the keyboard will not work. What to do in this case?
- View the model name of the laptop on its case.
- Go to the device manufacturer’s website and find a driver for your keyboard.
- Download and install the driver to the laptop.
- Reboot device.
Most likely, after performing this procedure, the keyboard will find its working capacity.
If the notebook is dropped or struck with something heavy, various parts may be damaged. Including it can be a keyboard. In this case, as a rule, one or several keys do not function. Only replacing the keyboard can help here. over, it is better to entrust this to the specialists of the service center, since it is very difficult to replace the keyboard on your own.
The same should be done if the keyboard “died” for no apparent reason, and no means could bring it back to life.
What to do if the buttons on the laptop keyboard do not work?
A malfunctioning keyboard is an annoying nuisance when it comes to a stationary computer, because peripheral devices are easy to replace with new ones. If the laptop keyboard does not respond to pressing, the owner will have to find out the cause of the breakdown in order to solve the problem on his own or entrust the repair to a professional technician. Even an inexperienced user will be able to cope with the task, who is ready to carefully read the instructions and consistently perform simple actions.
If individual keys are faulty
A common case is the lack of response only for some buttons or a group of keys during normal operation of the rest. This happens due to clogging of the keyboard or turning off part of it by the user. Small debris (food crumbs, dust, scraps of hair, sand and other unobtrusive objects) falls into the space between the buttons, sticks to the membranes under them, accumulates, compresses and interferes with pressing.
If the keys of the digital block do not work on the laptop, you need to check whether this part of the keyboard is turned on: an indicator on the case of the device should light up, which is indicated by an icon in the form of a lock with the number “1” inside. If there is no indication, press the Num Lock button (on many laptop models, you must first hold down the Fn button) to turn on the unit.
The reasons why the keyboard stopped working on a laptop fall into two categories:
- Hardware. These include physical problems. These are breakdowns of electronic components, mechanical damage, clogging, oxidation of contacts, ingress of liquids.
- Software. This group includes failures of system settings and drivers, the results of malware.
Keyboards break down due to the carelessness of the owners, unsuccessful falls of equipment, exposure to adverse external conditions, wear of parts. In this case, you will have to remove some buttons or the entire keyboard unit and even disassemble part of the laptop case.
Software failures occur due to viruses entering the system, incorrect software updates, user reconfiguration of parameters, and also due to a random combination of circumstances. Malfunctions of this type must be confirmed or excluded in the first place, because the absence of a result will indicate the mechanical nature of the breakdowns.
The steps to identify and eliminate software errors are as follows:
- Enable keyboard via command line. It happens that users turn off some options and forget about the changes they have made. The command processor is launched from the Start menu (Accessories section) or from the System32 folder (in the Windows folder on the system drive). By right-clicking on the menu bar or application file (cmd.exe), a context menu appears, one of the sub-items of which is to run as administrator. In the input line using the on-screen keyboard, you need to type the command rundll32 keyboard, enable.
- Unlock the keyboard in a special program. The laptop can be equipped with software that blocks input in case of unusual user behavior (such applications are developed for families with small children). The order of actions in different programs is different: in some you need to uncheck the “Lock Keyboard” line, in others. use certain keyboard shortcuts.
- Restart your laptop. Random problems disappear after rebooting.
- Try to enter BIOS. To do this, at the very beginning of the process, press the F2, F10 or Delete key (these are the most common options that may not work on certain models; you can find out the desired combination in the user manual). Lack of response is a sign of equipment malfunction.
- Check the system for viruses. It is best to use a LiveCD from one of the antivirus software developers.
- Boot the OS in safe mode (boot options are called by pressing F8). If the buttons on the laptop keyboard still do not work, then you need to reinstall the driver, which can be downloaded from the manufacturer’s portal. To do this, you need to find out the PC model and enter a combination of numbers and Latin letters into the search bar on the company’s website. First you need to remove the driver: by right-clicking on the “Keyboard” line in the Device Manager, select the appropriate item and wait for the process to end. Then double-click on the downloaded file to start a reinstallation.
- Roll back the latest OS updates. If the keyboard stopped working after the next upgrade, you should return to the previous working state (previously created system restore point).
The ineffectiveness of these actions is a sign of problems with the equipment.
The laptop is flooded with liquid
Water or drinks containing sugar, gas, dyes and other components can break the keyboard and seriously damage the laptop motherboard, because here all the critical parts are in one case.
In this case, immediately turn off the laptop, unplug it, unplug it, remove the battery and turn it over to drain the liquid. Then wipe the body with a dry cloth. If the drink was sweet, then first use a damp cloth and leave to dry for several days at room temperature.
It is not always possible to restore the keyboard after an accident, as water and substances dissolved in it corrode metal contacts and spoil plastic parts. Dust quickly builds up on sugar-sticky surfaces, and the key mechanism inevitably begins to seize.
The only way out is to completely replace the keyboard unit and its connection elements. You will also need to check the condition of the microcircuits that have gotten wet, for which you need to contact a computer repair shop.
If a small amount of ordinary water gets on the device, you can try to repair the keys on the laptop yourself. The device will need to be turned on after drying to make sure there are no fatal damage to the board and to check the functionality of the buttons. Then the laptop should be turned off and disassembled. The methods and the possibility of removing individual buttons or a block are entirely different for different laptop models.
It is recommended to first find photo or video instructions for a specific device or series of laptops. The search is carried out by the name of the manufacturer and the model in the form of a combination of letters of the Latin alphabet and numbers.
Below is an instruction on how to fix the keyboard on a laptop after pouring water on the equipment:
- Disassemble the block with buttons, remove the keys.
- Wipe the parts gently with a soft dry cloth.
- Carefully peel off the polyethylene board from the metal base.
- Wipe the board with a cotton swab moistened with distilled water. Do not use solvents!
- If necessary, cut off the caps from the board, which are located under the problem buttons, in order to clean the contacts. The caps also need to be wiped dry.
- Glue the cut caps onto the dried board using super glue.
- Reassemble the device in reverse order.
If the problems persist after the described procedures, the laptop will need to be returned for repair.
Repairing a broken keyboard
Below we will describe how to repair a laptop keyboard without the help of a wizard. Even an unsuccessful attempt at repair will be useful, because the user will be able to identify the malfunction and contact the service center with a precisely formulated problem.
- Turn off and unplug the laptop.
- Alternately pry off the keyboard latches (located at the edges, but it’s more convenient to start from the top ones) using a flat screwdriver, a narrow knife blade or other similar object and lift the edges of the block.
- Remove the block and place it on a brightly lit, level and hard surface.
- Disassemble buttons. To do this, remove the keys, then plastic swinging lifts. You can follow the instructions from the network for a specific laptop model.
- Clean buttons, space between them, contacts from debris, traces of liquid, corrosion. Replace damaged keys.
- Remove the top cover of the device, disconnect and check the keyboard loop. If you suspect that the problem lies deeper, you can continue disassembling the computer (you should first study the photo or video tutorial from more experienced users or specialists).
- Assemble your laptop without haste. In order not to confuse the keys, it is convenient to navigate by a pre-made photograph of the device.
At the end of the repair, you need to turn on the device to check its operation.
Loop contact problems
The keyboard is connected to the laptop motherboard using a flexible cable, which can be disconnected or frayed, and its contacts can oxidize. Because of this, communication between the input device and the main microcircuit of the computer is disrupted.
To fix the problem, you should disassemble the case (according to the instructions for this laptop model), inspect the loop, check the condition of the contacts. You can remove traces of oxidation with an eraser. Then insert the plug into the connector, assemble the laptop and turn it on for testing. It is better to replace a part that has lost its integrity at a service center.
Cleaning the keyboard
You can remove dirt from under the keys on a laptop yourself, which requires cleaning, which is carried out in the following sequence:
If you act carefully, without undue effort, carefully follow the instructions, then a home keyboard repair will be successful and help save money that would otherwise have to be paid to the master.
Coolers can be heard, but the laptop screen is not working
So, you know what to do if your laptop won’t turn on. But there are also cases when it starts, but its screen remains dark. What to do in this case?
Take a close look at the monitor. Perhaps you still manage to consider something? If so, then the screen, most likely, is in order, but the backlight does not work. You can enable it using the hotkeys on the keyboard. Each model has its own and most users are well known.
2. Another way to check if the screen is working is to connect an external monitor to the laptop. If a picture appears on it, then there is no doubt and the cause of the malfunction is determined.
3. Often the problem is hidden in a discrete video card. This element sometimes overheats and breaks down. By the way, some video cards are prone to breakdowns more often than others. For example, nVidia graphics cards have a short lifespan.
To prevent such damage, do not hold the laptop on your lap or in any other position with the ventilation holes covered. It is advisable in such cases to use special stands that do not impede air circulation.
If your laptop is not a gaming laptop, then do not devote too much time to games on it. And one more thing. do not forget to monitor the temperature of the video card. If the reason is in it, then remove or simply turn it off. on some laptop models, switches are specially provided for this. With the missing discrete video card, your device will continue to work, you just have to temporarily say goodbye to some games.
Of course, the reason why the laptop boots up and won’t turn on can be more serious. For example, in some cases, the problem is with the processor or firmware, motherboard or memory. But you are unlikely to cope with such difficulties on your own.
A message is displayed about the inability to start from the boot device
As a rule, we are talking about a variety of messages in English. If you encounter something like this, remove all flash drives from the device, and remove the disk from the drive. Restart your laptop. If your actions have not brought any positive result, then the problem most likely lies in the work of the hard disk. Such a malfunction can be of both software and hardware nature.
In the first case, reinstall Windows. If after that your laptop began to work as before, then this means that the problem was software and now it has already been resolved. If reinstalling the operating system did not save the situation, then it’s time to contact the service department, whose employees will solve this malfunction at the hardware level.
What to do if the laptop does not turn on: 6 main situations and ways out of them
No one is safe from laptop breakage. But the good news is that most of the problems that arise in the operation of this device can be solved. It is only necessary to determine the cause of the breakdown and its nature, and then act according to the situation. All laptop problems are either software or hardware. It is necessary to accurately diagnose the malfunction, and then you will already know exactly what steps to take to eliminate it.
So, why the laptop does not turn on and what to do?
Turns on and freezes after the splash screen
Sometimes, for some reason, the laptop does not start in any way. And sometimes it still starts, you can see the initial splash screen and basic information about the device on the screen, and then the device freezes. Either nothing happens at all, or information appears about errors that interfere with the full operation of the machine.
- Don’t be intimidated. The most common reason for this is the BIOS settings. You just need to enter the BIOS and reset all parameters. “Load BIOS Defaults”. After that save and exit.
- Sometimes it happens that the laptop freezes, reports the detected error and asks to press a certain button. For example, “Press F1 to continue”. As a rule, after pressing it, it continues to turn on and then works as usual. And although such a solution to the problem is the simplest, you should not ignore the very fact of informing about the error. Most often this happens if the battery in the motherboard of the laptop starts to run out or the BIOS settings get lost. Please note that you need to contact the service center to replace the battery.
- Of course, problems with a laptop can be more serious. For example, malfunctions associated with the operation of the hard disk manifest themselves in a similar way. In this case, there is a chance to determine the presence of problems by ear. If the hard drive is faulty, then you will hear the engine trying to start unsuccessfully under a slight crackling of the heads.
- Another reason why the laptop won’t turn on is RAM. Some device models provide access to its brackets. You can try removing them and gently cleaning the contacts. If this does not help, then start the machine, leaving only one memory module at a time. In the event that your device has only one bar, then put it in another slot and start the device again. There is a great chance that these actions of yours will help solve the problem.
The laptop does not turn on and shows no signs of life
The worst thing that an ordinary user of this device can imagine. What to do in this case?
- Often, if the laptop does not start, then the problem lies in its power supply. Therefore, first of all, check if there is a light in the house and voltage in the outlet.
- If there were no problems with electricity, you should proceed to inspect the power supply. Perhaps it began to work intermittently, or it broke completely. The surest way to be sure of this is to get the exact same power supply, only in working order. Connect it to your laptop and see if your device turns on.
- Often the breakdown of the power supply is very trivial. broken wires or broken contacts in the connectors. By the way, in the future, one simple rule will help to avoid problems with the charger. When charging the laptop, first plug the plug into the device, and then plug the adapter into an electrical outlet. The fact is that with a different connection order, a spark appears, which spoils the contacts.
- If a similar power unit does not save the situation, then it is time to move on to more decisive actions. Remove the battery from your device, wait 10-15 minutes, and then turn on the device. If it turned on without problems, then secure it and put the battery in its original place.
- Another reason why the laptop does not turn on, sometimes lies in the devices connected to it. Disable them all, including even the Wi-Fi adapter. Try to start the device again. If the laptop turns on, then return the external devices one by one to understand which one triggered the problem.
These are the steps you can take yourself when your laptop won’t boot. If none of them led to the desired results, then the problem should be looked for in a non-working motherboard, broken internal contacts and more. And only an experienced master will help with this.
The laptop is constantly rebooting or shutting down
If your device is constantly shutting down and rebooting, then it is most likely a serious hardware problem. Perhaps the fault is in the short circuit in the south bridge, which caused it to overheat. Or, dust has gotten into the cooler, which has caused excessive heating inside the processor. If so, the fan will run at high speeds, but it will still not cope with the problem. As a result, your laptop will periodically shut down and reboot. This will happen at a variety of times, regardless of external reasons. You are unlikely to be able to solve the problem yourself this time, so immediately contact the service center.
But before that, make sure it’s not a bad diet. If the laptop battery runs out, the device can turn on and then immediately shut down.
After loading Windows shows the screen of death, errors on the black screen and reboots
Another fairly common problem is when, when you turn on the laptop, Windows starts to load, but then the boot is interrupted and the device restarts. The screen turns blue or black and displays numerous error messages.
As in the previous case, the problem can be of both software and hardware nature. And again, restarting Windows will help to understand what exactly happened to your device. Reinstallation of the operating system can be started from a bootable USB flash drive. If you succeed in doing this, then the problem can be considered solved. If not, then you can’t figure it out without the help of specialists from the service center.
Thus, if the laptop does not turn on, then this is not a reason to panic. In many situations, you can diagnose and fix the problem yourself. You just need to analyze your recent actions with this device. For example, if you spent many hours playing a game shortly before the breakdown, then your video card is most likely overheated. Try a little and you will be able to bring your device back to life again.