Do network diagnostics. Although many will be rather skeptical about this advice, sometimes it can also help. Right-click on the wireless network icon in the tray and select “Troubleshoot”. Windows will check and if it detects a problem, it will suggest solutions.
If after diagnostics a message appears: The gateway is set by default, but not available, then in a separate article you can read about ways to solve this error.
If after that, the laptop still does not see Wi-Fi, check if the wireless Wi-Fi adapter is enabled on the laptop.
Find on one of the F1-F12 buttons the wireless icon, mine is F2. Also, on the button itself, near the power button or touchpad, there should be a light indicator, which indicates that Wi-Fi is on. In my case, if Wi-Fi is disabled, the indicator light is on. To enable it, press the combination FnF2.
You also need to check that the network card is enabled. To do this, click on the wireless network icon in the tray with the right mouse button and select “Network and Sharing Center”.
In the next window, click “Change adapter parameters”.
If your “Wireless Network Connection” is grayed out, right-click on it and select “Enable”.
After that, the icon should become colored. This indicates that the network adapter is on and the laptop can connect to the Wi-Fi network.
Checking the WLAN Autoconfiguration Service
This service is responsible for the wireless network adapters, and if it is not running, the adapters will be unavailable, respectively, the laptop will not be able to connect to Wi-Fi.
We go to the “Start” menu and write to the search bar “Services”. Go to the corresponding item.
Then in the list we look for “WLAN auto-configuration service”. We click on it with the right mouse button and, if it is disabled, click “Run”.
Check the network adapter drivers. Click “Start”, write “Device Manager” in the search bar and follow the link found.
Expand the list “Network adapters”. The required adapter will be called something like: model name and “Wireless Network Adapter” (may be written Wi-Fi).
First you need to make sure it is turned on. Therefore, click on it with the right mouse button, and if there is an item “enable” in the menu. Click on it.
Now pay attention that there is no yellow exclamation mark or red cross next to the adapter. If you have it as in the picture below, then everything is fine with the installed drivers. If you have one of the mentioned signs (in the picture I indicated with an arrow how it might look), you need to install or update the driver.
If you had a disk with your laptop with drivers for installed devices, use it and reinstall the driver. If this does not help, and the laptop still will NOT be able to connect to Wi-Fi, go to the official website of your laptop manufacturer, download the drivers for the network adapter from there and install them.
You can read about installing drivers in the article: how to install a driver on hardware.
Also, to update or install missing drivers, you can use the free Driver Pack Solution.
The laptop does not see the Wi-Fi network and does NOT connect to Wi-Fi
Many users sooner or later face this problem. There may be various reasons why Wi-Fi does not work on a laptop. Perhaps you recently installed a new operating system, bought a new router, or upgraded an old one and others.
In general, if you also find yourself in such a situation, and you are unable to connect a laptop to a Wi-Fi network, then in this article we will consider several ways that should help you connect a laptop to Wi-Fi.
Let’s start with the simplest thing. restart your router. To do this, you need to unplug the power supply from the outlet, wait 10 seconds and turn it back on. Then reboot your operating system.
Checking router settings
Router settings can get confused, and not always through the user’s fault. Perhaps the network password was simply changed.
If your wireless network icon is muted, and there is a yellow asterisk next to it, click on it with the mouse, select a network and try to connect to it, I previously found out if the access password has changed. The reason may be this.
Now let’s go to the router settings. There is already a detailed article on this topic on the site, follow the link, you can read it.
If, for some reason, they are lost, you need to configure them. In my case, you need to follow the link “Wireless Network Settings Wizard”. You may have slightly different menu items, it all depends on the model of the router, but you need to do the same.
Make sure you have a checkmark in the “Enable wireless connection” box.
Then you can change the network name and access password, select the wireless mode (b, g, n). This is what concerns the router itself.
Also take a look at the Network Information (LAN) section. You may need to change the settings here in agreement with the provider.
For those who receive an error when trying to connect: Network settings saved on this computer, and do not correspond to the requirements of this network, the article at the link can help.
I hope at least one of the tips helped you solve the question: why the laptop does not connect to Wi-Fi, and now your device is successfully connected to the network.
Good afternoon. The laptop stopped connecting to the Wi-Fi network. In the list of networks, he does not see it at all. The phone and other laptop can see this network perfectly and connect to it as before without any problems. The driver on the laptop was deleted, reinstalled, there is a result.
Reset the tablet to factory settings, enable the hotspot on the tablet, but without a password, and not by choosing the type of encryption.
Try to find the Wi-Fi network of your tablet from the laptop. It may be necessary to reinstall the Wi-Fi adapter driver on the laptop and / or install a newer system on the laptop.
The situation is as follows: the mat was changed on the laptop. Fee. There was 7 Windows, revived, the data was all preserved. But now the trouble with Wi-Fi does not see the distribution from the router, but accepts the distribution of norms on the phone. What can be and how to treat?
Thank you so much! And it worked for me after I changed the channel to the 1st
Hello. Try replacing your router temporarily. If other devices see the network, then the problem is probably in the laptop. Download the Wi-Fi adapter driver from the manufacturer’s official website and reinstall it.
Thanks, it helped me too!
How exactly and where do I tell you I can’t find
thanks for the answer!
I found out through a laptop on which XP, that broadcasting on channel 13, if you install the latest driver, it will work on channel 13, or is this a feature of 7?
Maybe there are regional settings that allow you to perceive channel 13?
Check with friends if your network is visible, theoretically everything is fine.
Good afternoon, such a problem. The tablet does not find the Wi-Fi hotspot in the phone. Although my point in the phone is visible through a laptop and another phone. What to do
My Wi-Fi does not see ONLY my network on a laptop, why, does anyone know? Shows 15 neighbors in the house, but mine is not! Do you need to delete something in Windows or the registry? (There is a router. On a Windows XP laptop. over, a netbook, 3 phones and a tablet work via Wi-Fi).
Why the laptop does not see the Wi-Fi network, solutions to this problem
The situation when the laptop does not see the Wi-Fi network is quite common. Any user can face this problem. But to fix the problem, not everyone can do it. Therefore, we decided in this article to tell in detail why the laptop does not see the Wi-Fi network. Let’s touch on the main reasons and, of course, how to eliminate them.
The first reason. Checking the router
First you need to check if everything is in order with the router. The easiest way to make sure the router is working is with a tablet, smartphone, netbook. Turn on and scan the radio, you will see a list of networks available for connection. Find the network you need, try to connect. If the gadget connects without any problems, then everything is in order with the router. And if the gadget does not see your Wi-Fi network, then there is a problem with the router.
Let’s take a look at simple troubleshooting steps that anyone can do:
Wi-Fi adapter problem
Don’t know why the laptop can’t see the wi fi network? Try to remember how old he is. Perhaps he is already 10 years old, then it is NOT surprising, any device has a lifespan. You will hardly be able to disassemble the laptop and check the Wi-Fi adapter. Better Contact the service center, they will carry out a full diagnosis. Then you will hear the verdict.
Signs of problems in which you need to seek help from specialists:
- The module works, but there is no Wi-Fi connection and does NOT respond to commands.
- The adapter stopped memorizing the entered settings. Because of this, the laptop sees but does not connect.
- The adapter is missing in the task manager.
- Began to connect only at a distance of NOT more than one meter.
- Periodically disappears, or the Wi-Fi on the laptop disappears completely and the reboot does not help.
Do you have Wi-Fi after a thunderstorm? It is not surprising, because after such weather conditions, routers are brought en masse to service centers. Not everyone knows that Wi Fi routers are very afraid of thunderstorms. After such a bad weather, it often happens that the router is working, everything is glowing, but there is no Wi-Fi, the reason for this: the Wi-Fi module burned out. Therefore, we recommend that in case of a strong thunderstorm, disconnect the power supply, pull out all network cables (twisted pair) from the back of the sockets. Just pull it out carefully, it is not necessary to jerk too much, otherwise you will have to tear off the RG 45 plug. Then you will have to read our article on how to crimp the network cable yourself.
Due to a voltage drop (as well as a number of other reasons), the settings could fly off. In this case, you will see your Wi-Fi network under a different name. These will be the default settings. Ideally, we recommend that you reset the settings again before configuring. To do this, take a match and press the “Reset” button, held down Hold for 15-20 seconds. Now you can safely start entering parameters on the router. If you do not know how to do this, then on our website find an article with a full description of how to connect and configure a Wi-Fi router.
Reboot the router
There is an “ON / OFF” or “On / Off” button on the back of the device, you just need to press it. On the front panel, the LEDs will all go out, and then press this button again, the LEDs will light up again. It is also possible to simply pull out the power supply from the 220V outlet and insert it back after 5 seconds.
We carry out troubleshooting
The diagnostic option rarely helps, but it’s worth a try. Click on the Wi-Fi icon, which is located in the tray (next to the time). Several options will pop up, select “Troubleshoot”. The check will last a couple of minutes, at the end of Windows will give options.
The second reason. Malfunction in the laptop
After making sure that the router is in good order, we continue to find out why your computer does not see Wi-Fi. Now we will calculate the fault on the PC. Of course, we will NOT disassemble the laptop and check the serviceability of the Wi-Fi adapter, but here are simple troubleshooting methods that any user can perform, we will give.
What to do if a laptop does not see a specific Wi-Fi network
There are situations that are even more interesting: your laptop computer just perfectly sees other people’s wireless networks, but the “native” does not notice. We advise you to read the discussion thread on this issue when the laptop does not want to see a certain Wi-Fi network. In this case, the instructions on how to set up Wi-Fi on a laptop will not help: you will have to act a little more radically:
- Referring back to the list of router settings, try changing the network name as well as the encryption method. It is not recommended to completely cancel the latter: this greatly increases the risk of virus infection.
- Above we mentioned the automatic determination of the “Channel” parameters. If it doesn’t help, try to manually iterate over all the available options, each new time checking to see if a connection has appeared.
Among other things, after changing the settings, scan your machine for virus codes. Quite rarely, but infection can also lead to the laptop not seeing one or more access points. To scan and eliminate the found threats, you can use any Anti-Virus product, including the so-called emergency disks.
Comments (1). Make sure the problem is not with the ISP
As already mentioned at the beginning of the article, very often the question why Wi-Fi on a laptop does not turn on, you need to ask not yourself, but your provider. The problem caused by the incorrect operation of the incoming signal can only be solved by the network operator. Among other things, some companies, at their discretion, change the basic signal settings, rather than bothering to notify users about it.
Do not want to call? You can first look for information on the provider’s website. the page should have at least a brief notice of repair or maintenance work.
Depends on the provider and DNS connection settings. Without accessing the server, you will NOT be able to use the browser. despite the fact that the laptop will still recognize the network, and some online services will continue to work as usual.
To check the server settings, follow the instructions:
- Using a combination of Windows and R buttons, call the text term, then enter and apply the ncpa.Cpl query in it.
- Go to the properties of the connection you are using. It is quite logical that in case of problems with the wireless network, it will be a Wi-Fi adapter. the name will contain a corresponding mark or the word Wireless.
- Go, Finding yourself in the new window, to the item, the title of which has the IPv4 mark. this parameter will help answer the question of why the laptop does not see the Wi-Fi router.
- For the first of the custom fields in the next box, set the automatic address detection — even if you are currently using something else. For the second, set the main address to 8.8.8, and the backup address to 188.8.131.52. These are Google’s DNS settings. There is also an option from Yandex: 184.108.40.206.
Now, for the changes to take effect, click “OK”, and then, a couple of times updated the desktop, check if the connection to the network has been established.
Reboot your router and laptop
This recommendation cannot be called either new or original. and nevertheless, it often works, freeing you from more complex manipulations. In particular, in cases where your machine does not properly wake up from sleep or hibernation state. This method will be especially effective if you are using a dynamic IP address. The principle is simple: old data that was successfully used in “sleep” is saved in the PC memory, and the provider has already allocated a new address. such a mismatch does NOT make it possible to connect to the Internet until a restart.
Of course, you know how to connect your laptop to Wi-Fi. Usually more than one device is connected to Wi-Fi, which is quite expected to increase the load on the router. As a result, sooner or later there is an urgent need for a RESTAR router. You can do this by simply unplugging the plug and plugging it back in a couple of seconds. or by using the power / reset button located on the case.
These simple steps help much more often than you might expect. After restarting both devices, we recommend that you again make sure that the wireless network is visible on the second gadgets. otherwise, contact your provider, as indicated in the first tip.
Check if Wi-Fi is enabled on laptop
Another similar situation is not less common: you cannot enter the network only after it is disabled on your laptop. To exclude such a possibility, pay attention to the icon located on the right side of the quick access panel. Despite some differences in the latest generations of Windows, the verification process will proceed in approximately the same way, and then Here is the most general algorithm:
- If you see a similar icon in your tray, accompanied by a notification that there are no available connections, congratulations: you just found out why the laptop stopped seeing Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi turns on in a few steps. follow the further instructions.
- The first option involves using the buttons on your laptop’s keyboard. Find in the function row (F1-12 keys) the image of the antenna with diverging waves. and, Using the intermediate Fn button, press the main one. The wireless network is instantly activated. and the Internet will appear in a few seconds.
- Unfortunately, this feature is not available for all laptop models. If you haven’t found it in yourself. it’s okay: the second option for turning on the set is no more difficult than the first. All you need is the left mouse button, according to the description above.
- Next. find in the appeared row of tiles “Network” and click on the title.
- Finally, press the Wi-Fi button. In five to ten seconds, you will be able, as before, to enjoy a Stable Internet connection. of course, if this was the only problem.
One more situation is not excluded, too similar to the one just described to be put into a separate section. Perhaps your network adapter is inactive for some reason. that’s why there is no signal. To turn the map back on, try the following:
- Using the “Control Panel” open the sub-item “Network Control Center” (the method is suitable for Windows 7). Are you using the next generation OS? Then just click on the already described icon with the right button and select the link “Network and Internet settings”. Here you can understand why Wi-Fi does not work on a laptop.
- In the window that opens, no matter what version of the operating system you are using, find the item offering to change the adapter parameters, and go to it.
- Now, having looked at the list of available devices (the latter can be both physical and virtual), find your adapter and, using the right-click on the title, activate it again. the “Enable” option will help you.
If the laptop still does not connect to Wi-Fi, check the operation of the router
Another likely cause of misunderstanding is malfunctioning of the router itself. Checking the device is not difficult. try this algorithm:
- Make sure, referring to the settings menu again, that the device has the latest firmware version. If this is not the case, download and install it yourself using a flash card or in any other available way.
- Nothing comes out? Then simply Reset all previously saved parameters to the factory settings. this can be done both from the program menu, and by means of a physical button or a connector on the case.
- If you can’t directly update the firmware, try another option. Set the floor to the current one first, and then, after restarting the router, try to update again.
Check if the wireless wifi adapter driver is working
Very often, a prerequisite for the inability to use a wireless network is the violation of the integrity of the system driver. The problem could arise both as a result of your careless actions, and due to an unexpected failure or incorrect removal of any program.
To fix the situation, try this option:
- Calling the system search window, type in the query “Device Manager”. Use the first link in the list of found.
- Open the Network Adapters subsection. Here find your. by name and the presence of the word Wireless (“Wireless”). Sometimes, instead of the latter, there is simply a Wi-Fi mark. in any case, you will NOT pass by the network card.
- First of all, using the right mouse button, we activate the selected adapter. This can be done through the topmost item of the list appearing on the screen, “activate”.
- If the icon located next to the name of the adapter contains additional characters such as an exclamation mark or an oblique cross, the laptop does not connect to Wi-Fi precisely because of a driver problem.
- We’ll have to update the service utility using the same context menu. You can use the disc supplied by the manufacturer for reinstallation, the data saved on a USB flash drive or hard disk, or download the latest version from the Internet that is relevant specifically for your adapter.
Upon completion of the manipulations, we strongly advise you to restart the laptop, and only then check whether your actions were successful.