There can be many reasons. For example, there is no power supply, one of the components is not tightly connected enough, incompatibility of parts after the upgrade, incorrect connection of the monitor, BIOS / UEFI software glitches.
Also, the computer may not turn on in the event of a malfunction:
- video cards;
- random access memory;
- power supply or power source;
With disassembly, without replacement of components
These methods require PC assembly / disassembly skills.
- Try pulling out the memory sticks and cleaning the contacts (with an eraser). If there are several memory strips, try connecting them in turn to different slots. Sometimes it helps to just pull and insert modules.
If the problem started after replacing the memory, then blow out the slots on the motherboard. perhaps dirt has got into them.
- To fully start the computer, you need a motherboard, processor, RAM, video card and power supply. Disassemble your computer or laptop and disconnect all unnecessary devices, leaving only the ones listed. If the computer starts, connect the hardware one by one.
- Sometimes, the computer does not turn on due to incorrect BIOS settings. There are several ways to bring them down. First, find the battery on the motherboard, remove it, disconnect the power cable from the computer and wait a little. Then reinsert the cable and battery. Second. find a jumper next to the battery (three pins, two of which have a partition). Pull out this baffle and set it to a different position (if it was previously on pins 1 and 2, it should now be on pins 2 and 3). Turn on the computer, then turn off and reinstall the partition in the previous position (yes, exactly 1 and 2). Try turning on the computer again.
- If the problem started after removing and installing the processor, remove it again and check that the feet on the socket are not bent. If there are defects, take the computer to the master or very carefully align the legs with a needle. Also try to loosen the cooler mount a little. if you tighten it too much, the motherboard may bend, causing it to malfunction.
- Examine the motherboard for chips, severe scratches, cracks, and swollen capacitors. If something like this is found, bring it to repair or replacement.
- If the computer does not turn on when reassembling (or disassembling), carefully check that the power is connected to the motherboard for the processor (4-pin or 8-pin):
if there are any, it is necessary to hand over the board for repair or replace it with a new one.
Replace BIOS battery. It can be found on the motherboard:
This article discusses options when, when trying to turn on the computer, we do not even see the first splash screen (maximum, information from the monitor like “No signal”).
- If your computer turns on but freezes before the operating system boot screen saver, go to Computer stops loading.
- If we see a message about bootloader or disk failure, skip to Disk boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter.
Computer or laptop does not turn on
Diagnostics of components
To perform some of the steps described below, we need accessories. They can be asked from friends or work. Otherwise, the computer will have to be carried to the service.
- The problem may be with the south or north bridges. On the motherboard, the latter is closer to the processor, and the southern one is farther away. In this image, the processor is labeled with the number 1, the north bridge. 10, and the south bridge. 4:
in order to be sure exactly which of the circuits belongs to which bridge in your computer, you need to refer to the documentation for the motherboard.
Most often, they fail when they overheat or receive static voltage. A factory defect or damage to contacts is also possible. Unfortunately, it is practically impossible to diagnose these components at home, since this requires specialized equipment and skills. The most you can try is to lightly press on the bridges or warm them up with a hairdryer. If after these steps the computer turns on for a short time, then one of the components must be replaced. The replacement itself also needs to be done at the service center. It is very important to contact a trusted center, since an unscrupulous master can simply warm up the bridge with a soldering hairdryer, and take the money as for a full replacement. But after warming up, the computer will not work for a long time, maximum. 3-4 months.
Depending on the nature of the problem or after which it was the computer that stopped turning on, you should focus on the following:
|When turned on, the computer does not make noise and does not show any signs of operability||There is no power supply, the motherboard is faulty, or the power button of the computer does not work.|
|Stopped turning on after assembly or disassembly (for example, after cleaning)||Some of the wires may have been hit. If the processor was removed, the legs could be damaged. Components not fully inserted. Screws or CPU cooler too tight (or loose). Monitor is not connected correctly.|
|The malfunction appeared after replacing components||All the reasons from the previous point. Dirt getting into slots. Incompatibility of new components with old ones. Outdated BIOS.|
|After moving the computer to a new location||It is necessary to check the tightness of all wires. Perhaps one of the wires or components inside the system unit has come off. If there are multiple video cards, make sure the monitor is connected to the correct.|
|The problem appeared by itself||No power supply. Failure of one of the main components of the PC. Monitor cable disconnected.|
|There was cotton and / or there was a smell of burning||Most often, the motherboard or power supply burned out.|
And so, there can be quite a few reasons why the computer does not start, as well as solutions. We will analyze all methods of troubleshooting in more detail and divide them into 4 stages.
If the computer is under warranty service, then it is not recommended to perform checks for which you will need to open the seals and pull out the components.
Do not turn on the computer / laptop / all-in-one with the following symptoms:
- “No Signal” appears.
- The computer just makes noise with coolers.
- It turns on, hums with fans for 1-2 seconds and turns off.
- Nothing happens. The monitor screen is just a black screen. The computer shows no signs of life at all.
This can happen on its own, after cleaning or after replacing parts. Also, it can be a new, just assembled computer.
Crashes and RAM errors
Below we will consider the typical errors that occur after a memory breakdown occurs:
- The appearance on the screen of a blue “screen of death”.
- Heavy programs do not start.
- Games crash.
- Screen is distorted.
- The laptop has turned on but the system will not boot.
- After turning on the laptop beeps.
- Internet browsing has become slow, pages take a long time to load.
Almost all failures and errors in the operation of RAM can be eliminated. Installing new RAM or adding strips will solve the problem. Remember that the installation of the RAM should be done by a professional computer technician. An experienced specialist will be able to correctly set the bars without disrupting the performance of other elements. The additional RAM module is added very neatly. Installation must be carried out in stages, observing safety rules. The speed of the computer will help to increase and clean up the RAM.
Replacing the RAM
Often the masters of service centers are faced with the need to perform a complete replacement of RAM or customers are asked to install new strips. Adding slats, as well as replacing RAM, is a task for a professional computer technician who will competently disassemble the device and professionally perform the work.
What symptoms will indicate to the user problems with the RAM:
- The laptop becomes unstable
- The device shuts down spontaneously
- The system does not start and cannot boot
- Periodically there is a blue “screen of death”
- The system works slowly with braking.
Random access memory is a very serious component, failure of which can result in significant costs for the user for serious repairs. The operative is responsible for the speed of the computer. All tasks, commands and requests go through RAM, and when the memory is no longer enough to do the work, the computer starts to “slow down”. The first thing to do is contact a professional computer technician who will diagnose and determine what needs to be done. In some cases, the problem can be solved by adding new strips to the old RAM. Sometimes it is enough to replace one bar to restore the computer to work. All installed elements must be of high quality and reliable. It is better to entrust the tasks of adding 2 planks to a professional.
How to check memory
Before installing an additional module, it is necessary to check the operability of the memory. The first way to check is manually. It is necessary to clarify the memory number and bus frequency on the bar, check the compatibility with the processor. A visual inspection of the operative can only be performed by a professional competent master. It is necessary to make sure that there are no mechanical damages, deformations and melted contacts on the strips. If there are signs of oxidation and contamination, the foreman will perform the appropriate work. The second method is to check the operability of the RAM through the Windows Memory Checker program. Any user can handle this task. Before installing additional memory, you need to determine what kind of RAM is currently on your device. It is also important to determine how many slots the PC has. The easiest way is to put the same memory in order to avoid discrepancies in the models. The computer will not function normally if an unsuitable RAM strip is added. Wizards add memory to any laptop, regardless of manufacturer. The easiest way is to entrust the task to a professional who will quickly select suitable components and promptly complete the installation. It is not difficult to install additional memory modules, but such work should be performed by a trained specialist.
Laptop RAM problems
RAM plays a very important role in any laptop or desktop computer. It is an integral part of a computer device that is responsible for the performance of applications. It is the random access memory that stores temporary data and those instructions that the processor needs to perform certain operations. Only a competent master or an experienced user can change the RAM or add new slots. Without experience and certain skills, user actions can cause a number of serious problems. Sometimes, after an incorrect change of RAM, the computer stops loading.
Problems after replacing memory
After replacing the RAM, the computer may behave differently. Some users are satisfied, because the laptop starts working normally and much faster than before the RAM was replaced. But memory replacement does not always lead to positive results.
Below is a short list of problems that users have repeatedly encountered after replacing memory or adding new strips:
- The device turns on, but the screen displays a black background and an error warning. This is normal after replacing the module. The problem is eliminated through the BIOS settings (usually using the F1 button).
- When turned on, the PC beeps, but does not turn on. In this case, the first thing to do is to check if the modules are installed correctly. If the beeps persist after checking, the problem may be a faulty memory module.
- The device does not turn on at all and does not beep. In this case, the device must be shown to the master, having previously checked whether the module is correctly installed, whether the battery is inserted into the laptop.
- Sometimes the replacement module by model is not suitable for the laptop. If you performed the replacement yourself, make sure that the module matches your PC model.
- Before increasing the amount of memory on your device, you should make sure that your PC supports the memory module with the desired size.
Remember that it is advisable to entrust all work related to disassembly, repair and modernization of computer equipment to a professional. If you intend to increase the amount of RAM on a laptop, it is better to contact a service center or a private contractor who will perform the work correctly and promptly.