Adapter is off
Why won’t my laptop connect to my home Wi-Fi network? On some laptops, the internal transmitter power button is on the side. Some models include Wi-Fi hotkeys. Maybe you accidentally pressed this button and just turned off the module itself. Perhaps it has turned off itself will go into standby mode or such a setting is in power saving mode. Then you will see a red cross on the connection. The instruction is suitable for all versions of the Windows operating system.
- Run the command execution program, clicked WinR.
- We register ncpa.Cpl.
- Turn on the wireless module. if it is grayed out.
Also look for the Wi-Fi power button on your laptop. It can be as a combination with the “Fn” key, then the second button will be in the “F” row. This is often FnF2, F3, etc. But it can be a separate switch or a button.
Password does not match
Most likely. you just enter it incorrectly. But it doesn’t matter, you can change it if you go to it using WPS. It is such a less secure connection, with a default password or PIN. This PIN is on a label under the body of the device.
- We press the WPS button. it is located somewhere on the router, mainly on the back side.
- Now we are again trying to connect to the router via Wi-Fi.
- When requesting a password, enter the data from the label. All of you are connected via Wi-Fi. You can continue to use this connection, but it is better to change the password from the wireless network.
- Now you need to enter the address of the router in the address bar in the browser. It is located on the same piece of paper.
- Next, you will be asked to enter your username and password. these data are located there.
- In the admin area you need to find any section “Wi-Fi”, “Wireless”, “Wireless connection”, “Wireless network”, etc.
- In this section, you need to find where the password is changed and change the security key. Save changes and restart the router. turn it off and on.
The first way
It doesn’t matter what kind of laptop you have, HP, Lenovo, DNS, etc. It is best to download hardware software from the official site.
- First, we need to find out the full name and model of the laptop. one company is not enough, since they produce a lot of such devices.
- Just take a look at the label on the bottom of your laptop. Sometimes the name is written on the front side.
- Here we have an Acer Aspire 5745G laptop.
- You can enter the full name of the laptop model, but in my case the search engine did NOT give the desired result. Therefore, first of all, we go to the official website of the manufacturer. In this case, Acer.
- As soon as you get to the main page, you can enter the name of the model in the search term. But it is not always possible to find drivers this way. Therefore, find a separate section “Support” or “Drivers”. You need to understand that the sites are different and each manufacturer puts this section in their bins, so you need to look. In any case, you can enter the word “Drivers” into the search by clicking on the magnifying glass.
- Next, you will be asked to enter your serial number, SNID, or model number. For some reason I couldn’t find my laptop by model number, and I found it by SNID. SNID. located there on the label.
- Hurray, he found my laptop. Now select the “operating system” that you have installed. And click on the plus sign next to “Driver”. A complete list of firewood should open. We find any package labeled “Wireless”.
- We were given three packages. You can install the most recent version, but I advise you to download all three.
- Install the latest version first. We reboot the computer and look at the operation of the adapter. If the adapter does NOT connect, go ahead.
Reconnect to wireless network
Now we will try to reconnect to this network. This error is typical when relatives from a phone or tablet can connect via Wi-Fi, but from this laptop there is.
The second way is easier
If you got confused on the manufacturer’s website and could not find a working driver, you can download “DriverPack Offline Network” from the site. https://drp.Su/ru/foradmin. But be careful before installing, this package also has the ability to install any garbage. Therefore, after installing the driver, go to “Programs and Features” and remove all associated programs installed. DO NOT be lazy to do this, as these programs significantly slow down your computer.
- Right-click on the connection and then select “Network and Sharing Center”.
- “Management of wireless networks”.
- Remove home network.
- Then try to connect to it again.
Installing new drivers
Often. this thing really helps, especially if you DO NOT see the network you need. Since we have the Internet, we need to download the drivers or using a direct connection to the router. Just take the network cable and plug into the socket of the laptop’s network card, and the other end into the router (yellow port).
If there are wires, you can distribute Wi-Fi with the Internet from your phone or tablet, but if there are problems with the drivers, you may NOT be able to connect. At worst, contact your friends who have a computer or laptop with a working Internet. I’ll break down two approaches:
- Downloading from office. Site;
- From a third party site.
But I advise you to download hardware software from the website of your laptop manufacturer.
Internet distribution from phone
If you distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi to a laptop, but he does not see it or cannot connect, then there are several solutions. Some smartphones have a limitation on connecting devices. Just go to the “Access Points” settings and see if there is such a parameter. If it is, just set the maximum number of devices.
I faced this problem myself. Trying to distribute the Internet from a mobile phone to a laptop, and the laptop saw all the networks except this one. Oddly enough, reinstalling the drivers on the laptop helped. I’ll cover this in the chapter below.
Laptop won’t connect to Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi tips and help Gyda
There can be several problems here. One is on the side of the router, the other on the side of a laptop or computer with a Wi-Fi module. Of course, this is too simple for an explanation, but in the article I will analyze all the problems with both the laptop and the router.
Let’s reboot our router first. If he abruptly stops connecting to Wi-Fi or does it for a suspiciously long time, then this may indicate that the device is overheating. Our task is to find a small ON / OFF button and turn off our transmitter.
But turn it on after 5 minutes. let it cool down. If after turning on the wireless network did not work, then proceed to the instructions below.
DOES NOT connect to wifi on windows 10 laptop
If the laptop does not connect to a Wi-Fi network and the user has taken the above recommendations, it will not be superfluous to try resetting the TCP / IP protocol parameters manually, for which it is necessary:
Open the Command line on behalf of the administrator (the “Start” menu. the “System Tools. Windows” section. select “Run as administrator” in the properties of the “command line” item);
At the command prompt of the window that opens, enter the command: netsh int IP reset c: \ resetlog.Txt
to restart a computer.
It should be noted that Microsoft has also created a specialized utility for the convenience of users (available at: https://support.Microsoft.com/ru-ru/help/299357/how-to-reset-tcp-ip-by-using- the-netshell-utility in the “Easy fix” section) which allows you to interactively perform the above procedure for resetting TCP / IP parameters.
Also, in some situations, updating the IP address received from the router can help correct the situation with connection errors. To do this, enter the following two commands in turn at the command line prompt:
- Ipconfig / release
- Ipconfig / renew
This command will force the update of the IP address of all network adapters installed in the system.
Why Laptop Can’t See Wi-Fi. Typical Causes of Wi-Fi Connection Problems
Portable devices such as a laptop, today are closely related to the life of any modern person, being an indispensable tool for processing information of any nature. One of the main advantages of this type of computer, in addition to its mobility, is the ability to connect to the Internet, or to second devices on the local network (printers, other computers, file storages, etc.), regardless of the location of the user. at home, in the office, in a hotel.. airport, cafe or even a park. Such opportunities are made available thanks to the built-in laptop wireless LAN adapter using Wi-Fi technology.
Problems with connecting to Wi-Fi can cause serious inconvenience to the user when using the laptop, greatly reducing its consumer qualities. The most common reasons include:
- Errors in the operation of network services of the Windows operating system;
- Incorrect operation of the Wi-Fi adapter of the computer due to its malfunction or incorrect functioning of the device driver;
- Changed (for example, by the network administrator) or incorrectly entered credentials to access a specific Wi-Fi network;
- Malfunction or incorrect settings of the Wi-Fi network router;
- Considerable distance from a Wi-Fi router or / and location near source of strong electromagnetic interference.
Let’s consider in more detail the most common situations, as well as ways to eliminate them.
The laptop does not connect to wi-fi although wi-fi sees
If the laptop does not connect to the laptop’s Wi-Fi, but it sees Wi-Fi, then to solve the problem, you need to do the following steps, described in detail in the article.
What to do if your laptop won’t connect to Wi-Fi
If the laptop does not connect to Wi-Fi, then the first thing to do is restart the operating system. In view of the presence of many Windows system services, on which the correct operation of the wireless network depends, under a certain set of circumstances (enabled automatic updating of device drivers, operating system, utilities preinstalled by the laptop manufacturer, as well as the second application software), a situation may arise in which your computer is really capable of fixing the problem.
The second step you need to take is to check the availability of the wireless network you want to access. You can do this by viewing the list of broadcasting wireless networks from a mobile phone equipped with a Wi-Fi module, or by requesting wireless networks, which displays Windows, for which you need to search for available wireless networks.
In the event that the desired name of the wireless point is absent, or the connection to it is unstable (there is no access to the Internet), one of the reasons may be a malfunction of the router itself, whose task is to create a wireless network with routing of connected devices in the right direction. As in the first example, sometimes it is possible to fix the situation by restarting the router, because As a result of power outages, overheating or overloading of the device itself, it is possible that some internal processes loop and, as a result, its improper functioning. The variant of a Wi-Fi router malfunction is more likely if there are connection problems in several clients connected to it at the same time.
With the normal operation of the second computers in the same wireless LAN, we will consider a number of measures to find out the reason why the laptop does not connect to Wi-Fi.
Incorrect operation of the built-in wireless adapter can be one of the reasons why the laptop does not see the Wi-Fi network. The correct operation of the Wi-Fi module can be checked in the section “Network adapters “located in the” Device Manager “of the operating system, to access which there are several ways:
- Open the “My Computer” (This PC) Properties dialog box with the Windows Pause \ Break key combination and go to the “Hardware” section. “Device Manager” or immediately go to the corresponding link (on Windows 10);
- By calling the “Device Manager” snap-in with the “Run” utility (Windows R), in the line of which you need to type the process name “devmgmt.Msc” and click “OK”.
In the opened “Device Manager” window, you need to make sure that there are no problems with the Wi-Fi module. its direct presence in the “Network adapters” group, as well as that there are no system warnings (exclamation or question marks).
If the name of the Wi-Fi adapter is displayed correctly, it is possible to assume that the module is working properly, and the premise that the laptop does not see the Wi-Fi network is likely to be incorrect settings of the connection parameters. Otherwise, to fix the problem, you may need to check the network adapter drivers.
The Wi-Fi module driver is also checked in the “Device Manager” snap-in, where in the “Network adapters” group you need to select the properties of the wireless adapter. Check the following points in the Wi-Fi adapter dialog:
- System messages in the “Device status” section on the “General” tab. make sure that the recognition device is working normally;
- Check the “Events” tab for system messages about the operation of the device;
- Make sure that on the “Driver” tab all fields are filled in correctly (there are no entries “No data”, “Unknown supplier”, etc.).
To exclude incorrect operation of the adapter, due to the device driver, it is advisable to reinstall it, first downloaded the latest version of the software from the laptop manufacturer’s website. Before reinstalling or updating the driver, you must first remove the device from the system, click on the “Remove” button on the “Driver” tab, and then launch the updated version of the driver downloaded from the manufacturer’s website. As a rule, it has its own installer, which will perform all the further necessary installation procedures on its own.
Incorrect connection parameters can also be a prerequisite for which the laptop does not see Wi-Fi. The configuration procedure is carried out in the “Network and Internet” section located in the “Control Panel”. To configure Wi-Fi, in this section, select the “Connect to the network” link and, having selected the required network, click on the “Connect” button. It should be noted that to connect to a Wi-Fi network, you need to know its full name and access key (password). Upon successful completion of the sounded procedure, properly and configured by the router, the connected workstation should already get access to the Internet.
If the tasks of connecting to a Wi-Fi network include the need to manage shared access to files, folders and printers from second computers on the local network, then the next step after successful authorization in the Wi-Fi network is to configure the Homegroup. This snap-in will allow you to make the required settings for sharing both files and folders, and second devices (printers, scanners, etc.).
You can check the password and change it, if necessary, in the “Network and Internet” section located in the “Control Panel”, where you need to click on the “Network and Sharing Center” link and select the property of the required connection. To view the account information in the opened dialog box of the network connection status, you must click on the “Wireless network properties” button. Password verification is available on the “Security” tab. By default, the password is displayed with hidden characters, which can be seen by placing a check box opposite the timeline “display entered characters”.
One of the reasons why the laptop does not connect to Wi-Fi may be the security setting of the router, namely the set MAC filter permissions. The MAC filter is configured directly in the section dedicated to the security of the wireless network, located in the settings of the router itself. To allow a laptop to use a Wi-Fi network through a router, in the security settings of the router there must be an entry on the connection of the physical address of the network card of this device.
You can access the settings of the router by going to its IP address. The exact IP address of the router, as well as the login and password for accessing its settings, can usually be found from the stickers on the back of the device (provided that the accounts have not been changed by the user). Upon successful authorization on the router, to facilitate its correct configuration, most devices predict the use of the “Assistant”, which allows you to step by step configure the network in such a way as to ensure the desired operation of all connected devices at the proper level in the shortest possible time. It is advisable to make finer settings of the router only after reading the operating manual of the router posted on the manufacturer’s website.
It should be noted that it is advisable to configure the router using a wired connection to it (most routers are equipped with a specially made network cable. crossover).
DOES NOT connect to wifi on windows 7 laptop
Finding the reasons why the laptop does not see Wi-Fi with Windows 7 installed is practically no different from the recommendations given for Windows 10. A feature may be the presence of warnings issued by the User Account Control (UAC) component. For successful completion of the procedures, it is necessary to allow the actions performed in the above recommendations.
Another method that can help in solving the problem is to create another Wi-Fi hotspot on a laptop.
The easiest way to create a software access point is to use the command line, at the prompt of which it is enough to enter the following commands in turn:
- Netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = “Name of the access point to create” key = “Access password for the created access point” keyUsage = persistent
- Netsh wlan start hostednetwork
This procedure creates a virtual Wi-Fi access point (Virtual Wi-Fi) to which all other devices are allowed. This will allow you to check the health and correct operation of the adapter installed in the laptop.
If you need to turn off Virtual Wi-Fi, just enter the following command in the command line: netsh wlan stop hostednetwork
Laptop won’t connect to wifi but phone connects. all the ways to fix this problem
It happens that the laptop does not connect to Wi-Fi, but the phone connects, and any other device other than the laptop itself. How to recognize the cause of the problem, and what to do in THESE cases? This article will list recommendations on what to look for first and what are the most common reasons. We will also clearly demonstrate how to solve this problem.
Wi-Fi icon crossed out with a red cross
Previously, your laptop connected to a wireless network, but today, for no reason whatsoever, it does not see Wi-Fi networks at all. It is possible that the reason is the power adapter turned off. Check if it is connected and working properly if the laptop was disassembled. If there is, you should try to turn it on using a key combination or using a special switch on the case (if any), and through the window with network connections.
Also scan the system for viruses and try reinstalling the network drivers.
In some cases, this issue can occur when installing Windows (versions 7, 8, 8.1, and 10). The problem is with the drivers. over, sometimes not only in the network. At the initial start of the system, the Wi-Fi adapter is usually disabled, and you cannot turn it on by pressing a key combination. This is due to the fact that not all drivers for the function keys are installed with the system. Check if other combinations Fn F1-F12 work. If not, it is recommended to install all available drivers from the web resource of your laptop manufacturer so that the function keys work, and then turn on the Wi-Fi adapter using them.
Connecting, but a message appears. Restricted Access
It happens that a laptop connects to the network on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10, but the inscription “Limited access” appears. What does it mean? This indicates that the computer has an Internet connection, despite the fact that it is connected to a router.
The first step is to check if the case is in the laptop. Try connecting to the network from another device, such as a phone. If you can’t connect to the Internet on any device, then it’s the router. It needs to be rebooted. If this does not help, you should double-check the data for Internet access specified in the web interface (login and password issued by the provider). If everything is correct here, then it is possible that the problem is on the operator’s side.
The Internet is available on second devices, and is not available only on a laptop. Here the problem is in the hardware or system settings of the device. First you need to try to deactivate the Wi-Fi adapter and turn it on again, using a key combination or through the “Network Connections” window.
Less common reasons why the required network is displayed, but the Internet does not connect:
- Conflict with antivirus software. Try disabling your firewall and other security utilities, then reconnecting to the network.
- Incorrect IP settings. Most often, it is enough to set auto-acquisition of IP and DNS.
- The limitation may appear due to energy saving. It is necessary to uncheck the line “Allow the disconnection of this device to save energy” in adapter properties in device manager.
- The problem is in the network driver, you can try reinstalling it.
Network password does not match
The password is not suitable only if it is incorrect. Perhaps it has changed and you do not know the new combination. Or they themselves have forgotten it. But in this case, you can always connect to the router via WPS (if the device supports this feature).
It requires the PIN code indicated on the device label.
The required combination in this case is indicated at the bottom right.
The connection procedure is as follows:
- Press the WPS button on the device.
- We connect to the access point from the laptop, enter the PIN indicated on the stickers on the device. After successful connection, it is strongly recommended to change the key to access the network, for security reasons.
- We open any convenient Internet browser and type the ip-address (or web address) of the router in the address bar at the top. In this case, it’s http://tplinklogin.Net.
- We enter the input data, which are also indicated on the label in the terms “Username” and “Password”.
- In the web settings panel, open the section related to the wireless network (depending on the manufacturer and firmware, its name may be “Wireless network”, “Wireless”, “Wireless connection” and so on).
- We find the item related to changing the password, enter a more reliable combination with the introduction of numbers and letters of different registers (but without using the Cyrillic alphabet).
- Keeps the changed settings and restarts the router by pressing the power button.
The main reasons for this malfunction
Wi-Fi icon is NOT displayed
It often happens that the wireless module turns itself off for no apparent reason. In this case, it is enough to turn it back on. For this, most laptops have a special key combination. Usually this is Fn one of the buttons in the top row F1-F12.
Also on older models there are dedicated switches for activating and deactivating the wireless module.
Wi-Fi network may NOT work due to the activated “Airplane” mode, which is enabled through the notification bar in Windows 10. On laptops, sometimes the wireless network adapter may be disabled in order to save energy.
If the key combination does not help, then proceed to the next sequence of actions (the instruction is relevant for Windows 10):
- Call the “Run” window by pressing the WinR button combination and write the command “ncpa.Cpl”.
- The “Network Connections” window will open. If there is a wireless connection, then right-click on it and turn it on. If there is, go to the next item.
- Open the “Run” window again and this time write the command “devmgmt.Msc” to call the device manager.
- We look for and expand the item “Network adapters” and look for the Wi-Fi module. As a rule, its name should contain the word “Wireless”. If it is not there, then it is not detected by the system and is in the “Other devices” line as “Unknown device”. Driver problem.
The driver may be damaged due to the installation of third-party programs or viruses. It is recommended to scan the system for virus activity and reinstall the network drivers, downloaded from the manufacturer’s official website. If the laptop has ever been disassembled, it is possible that the module was simply forgotten to be plugged back.
Mechanical damage to the adapter may also occur. In this case, it is better to take the laptop for repair or replace the adapter.
Detailed instructions for reinstalling the driver:
- We go to the official website of the laptop manufacturer (Asus, Acer, HP, etc.).
- On the site you need to find a section with drivers.
- Next, you need to select a laptop model.
- Choosing the system version.
- Install the driver, after which you need to restart the laptop.
Reboot all devices
Before proceeding to any of the following solutions to the problem, if the laptop does not connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi, you need to start from Elementary. by restarting the router and laptop. This is often enough to connect to an access point.
The router can be rebooted by pressing the power off button on the back of the case and then turning it on after a couple of minutes. What should I do if my laptop won’t connect to a wireless network, but Wi-Fi works on my phone? If after restarting the router and laptop the problem persists, then proceed to the methods listed below in the article.
The desired network is NOT displayed
If the wireless adapter is turned on, and the laptop sees the Wi-Fi network, but your access point is not visible, this is most often in such cases, the problem lies in the router. The most common reason is the distance (or many obstacles) between the router and the computer is too far, which makes the Wi-Fi signal bad and NOT picked up by the laptop. To check if this is the case, bring the devices as close to each other as possible and try connecting again. Also, the problem may lie in the settings of the router:
- Disabled wireless mode;
- Incorrectly assigned radio channel.
In the case of a radio channel, you need to reconfigure it in the web interface of the router. Depending on the device model and firmware version, this parameter can be located in different menu items. But, as a rule, it is located in the section related to the wireless settings.
It is necessary to set a channel in the range of 1-11 (despite the fact that 13 channels are available on some devices, it is not recommended to set the last 2, since in this case some devices will NOT be able to connect to the network). Most often, the network is not visible precisely because of the established border channel (12 or 13). After changing the parameters, saving the settings and restarting the connected router.
Wi-Fi stops working after waking up from sleep mode
If the adapter does not work after exiting sleep mode, then the point is to save power. In order to prevent the Wi-Fi module from turning off in order to save energy, you need to do the following (the instructions are relevant for Windows 10):
- Open the Device Manager (you can start it using the command “devmgmt.Msc”).
- We need the properties of the network adapter.
- In the section “Power management, uncheck the box.
- Click OK to confirm the changes.
So, in this article, we have considered all the Possible causes of this malfunction and demonstrated how to solve them. If you have any questions or difficulties, be sure to write about it in the comments. our experts will be happy to help you!
Quick fix if there is no Wi-Fi connection
- Reboot the router. Disconnect from the power supply for 1 minute.
- Restart your laptop or PC.
- We reconnect to the Wi-Fi network if the laptop sees it.
- Bring the gadget as close as possible to the router. There is a possibility that the Wi-Fi transmitter on the router has burned out, in this case it will work only if the device is very close to each other.
We check the Wi-Fi driver, reinstall
The fastest way to check the driver is through the “Device Manager”.
- Click on the shortcut “My Computer” with the right mouse button, select “Properties”, “Device Manager”.
- A window will appear, select “Network adapters” from the list, click on the RMB line “Realtek 8821AE Wireless LAN.” (you will have a different name for the wireless adapter), select “Properties”.
- In the window, click “General”. At the bottom it will say “Device Status”
- Suddenly you see an exclamation mark or a yellow triangle on the wireless network adapter, then there is a problem with the driver. Remove the old one completely, download the latest one from the manufacturer’s website and install. In the “Driver” tab you will find all the necessary data in the version and manufacturer of the driver.
An excellent solution for users who do not want to search for drivers across the world wide web is to install the free DriverPack Solution program. This utility will check your entire computer for outdated or missing drivers. After that, you will be presented with a choice of drivers that you can install, you just have to tick the boxes and watch the installation.
Check if Wi Fi is activated on the laptop at all
There are not so many ways to turn on Wi-Fi, all the fastest can be found in our separate article: how to turn on Wi-Fi on a laptop. Everything is written here in simple language, it will be clear even to the user for the second time he sat down at the computer. Just read and follow everything step by step.
All faults that may be on the laptop
Let’s take a look at the most common problems. Which are most often found in users. Because of which the laptop does not want to connect to Wi-Fi networks.
We check if everything is in order with the router
The first thing to do is to check if everything is ok with your router. After all, the prerequisite why your laptop does not connect may be in it. Let’s go to check.
- Take any other device (smartphone, tablet) and try to connect from Android if it does not connect, then the reason is found, the router is guilty. Try to log in to it and check all the settings, there is a chance that he reset them to the factory default.
- Go to the router and change in the section “Wireless”, “Wireless settings” opposite the line “Channel” instead of “Auto” put any channel. This must be done, because the router in the “Auto” mode can deliver the 13th channel, alas, not all gadgets are able to work in it. Therefore, it is better not to risk it and set the Wi-Fi broadcast channel itself. And in the same section, pay attention to the checkbox, which should be opposite the terms “Enable Wireless Router Radio”, if it is not there, be sure to check it. She is responsible for enabling the wireless network.
- Look at the indicators on the router, at least three LEDs should be on:
- – Power.
- – Wi-Fi.
- – WAN port
- – If the computer is connected with a cable then LAN will still be lit.
DO NOT light up WAN, then check the cable, which comes from the Internet provider, just pull out and re-insert the RG 45 plug.
- Check if you have a MAC filter configured on your router. Go to the “Wi-Fi” tab, “MAC filter”, then in the line “MAC filter restrictions mode” select “disabled”. This is so that any devices can connect to the wireless network.
5 Try to set a new password for the wireless Wi-Fi network on your router, if you do not know how to do this, see the article: how to set a password on a Wi-Fi router. Then all over again, connect with a new password.
Makes adjustments in power management
This step below may help some users. After completing it, your PC will stop disabling the wireless adapter during sleep mode. Wi-Fi connection will always be on.
- We go to the “Device Manager”, as described above in the article. Click on the network adapter with the right mouse button, select “Properties”.
- From the top row, click on the “Power Management” section, here you need to uncheck the box “Allow the disconnection of this device.”, Click “OK”.
Now let’s try Connect on Windows 10 if it doesn’t connect, then read the article further.
Laptop won’t connect to Wi-Fi network on Windows 7,8,10
There is a situation when a laptop is turned on, and for some reason it does not connect to the wireless network, despite the fact that it has connected a hundred times before, and then an unpleasant surprise. Let’s try to figure out why the laptop does not connect to a Wi-Fi network, what is the reason and how to fix it. Let’s consider in detail two possible culprits, the first is a router, which could stop working normally, the second is the laptop itself. It also contains many different factors affecting the operation of the Wi Fi module, which could fail.
Update the IP on your PC
It’s easy to do it using the command line. Let’s start.
We start the command term, for this we write in “cmd” in the search.
A black window will pop up where you need to enter commands one by one. The first is ipconfig / release, which will remove the IP and disconnect the laptop from the wireless network.
The second command is ipconfig / renew, the laptop will connect to the same Wi-Fi network and get a new IP. Let’s try to connect on Windows 7, if not, go to the second method. By the way, this method is also suitable for Windows 10.
Having tried all the methods written in the article did not give any result? Try to look for the reason why Wi-Fi stopped working on a laptop in another article, perhaps there are solutions to your connection problem.
The laptop stopped seeing Wi-Fi networks
Does your laptop NOT connect to Wi-Fi networks and can’t see them? In this article, we will NOT talk about this problem, since this topic was already described in the previous article. You can read it by clicking on the link: why the laptop does not see the Wi Fi network, here you will find a detailed description and solution to this problem.
Computer side problems
If it so happens that an error appears when trying to connect to Wi-Fi, then first of all, you need to diagnose the problems. This will allow concepts, what is the problem and in which direction to “dig”.
How to connect Wi-Fi on a laptop using troubleshooting:
- Find the Wi-Fi icon in the notification area (the so-called system tray in the lower right corner of the desktop).
- Click on the icon with the right mouse button and select “Troubleshooting”.
- Next, carefully read the information on the screen and follow all the recommendations. As a result, the system will try to fix the problem. But even if the problem is not resolved, a report will appear at the end of the diagnosis, which will indicate the problem.
If the troubleshooting did not help, then go to the second method. Pay attention to the signal level here. If the signal is weak (1-2 sticks), then the PC may NOT connect to the network. This happens due to too much loss of data packets (the response time is exceeded and the connection is disconnected). Therefore, if the signal is weak, move the laptop closer to the access point.
Also, the computer may have various network failures, as a result of which it sees the network, but does not connect to Wi-Fi. This may be due to a large amount of accumulated cache or as a result of some settings, installation of programs that have access to change adapter parameters, and so on. All this can be solved in one universal way. by resetting the network parameters. After the reset, you need to restart your computer.
What to do if PC sees Wi-Fi but won’t connect
Nobody can be surprised by wireless technologies. They have so deeply entered the life of modern people that it is already difficult to imagine life without them. But the usual is not always simple: from time to time, everyone is faced with such a problem when the laptop does not connect to sees Wi-Fi, but sees the network, and there is no access to the Internet. This can happen for various reasons: we will look at the most common problems and their solutions.
Problems on the side of the router
As a rule, in the event that a router is not connected, it is the settings that need to be checked. We have already discussed the Wi-Fi standards and the type of data encryption above. check them first. It is recommended to set Wi-Fi 802.11 bgn mixed mode. So it is with the type of encryption. If everything is fine with this settings, but the router still does not allow devices to connect, then you should restart it. Unplug it from the outlet for at least 5-7 minutes, and then plug it back in.
If this does not help, but you should reset the router to factory settings. This can be done by pressing and holding the special button “Reset” or through the parameters: “System tools” “Factory settings”.
Sometimes a reset does NOT fix the problem. In this case, you will need to update the router software. Instructions on how to do this, as well as the firmware itself, can be found on the official website of the manufacturer of your router.
So, we have considered the most common problems, why the computer sees the network, but does not connect to Wi-Fi, and ways to solve them, which are universal and will help you in a variety of situations.
It should be understood that the problem when the computer sees but does not connect to Wi-Fi can be both on the side of the PC and the router. Therefore, you should always check your network first. To do this, simply try connecting other devices to the router, such as a smartphone or tablet. If other gadgets connect to the router without problems, then most likely the problem is on the PC side.
Do not forget about the technical characteristics. For example, we know that Wi-Fi standards are different and are denoted by a letter. There are quite a few of them, but three main ones are used in everyday life:
- 802.11b. opened in 1999. To broadcast the signal, the frequency is 2.4 GHz. Maximum data transfer rate 11 Mbytes.
- 802.11g. opened in 2003 and operates at 2.4 GHz. However, the speed increased to 54 MB.
- 802.11n. The most modern and fastest standard, which operates at 5 GHz. The maximum connection speed can be up to 300MB
As you can see, the standards operate at different frequencies. In theory, 802.11n can work at 2.4GHz, but this often causes various problems. Therefore, ideally, the standards on the sending and receiving devices should match. Nowadays, the vast majority of routers work with all three modes at once, but not all of the router models support this. Therefore, it is worth checking the specifications.
Sometimes connection problems can be caused by data encryption. That is, if you put a password on your wireless network, then the router encrypts data according to a certain scheme. Sometimes it happens that the computer simply does not support the type of data encryption that is installed in the router and cannot decode the signal. Therefore, it is worth trying to remove the password for the wireless network in the router settings and check if the PC will connect to an open network. To do this, enter the settings of the router, go to the “Wi-Fi Security” section and here Disable protection.
If the PC connects to an open network, then it’s about encrypting the data or the password itself. Therefore, to protect your network, go back to the router settings and set the encryption type WPA-PSKWPA2-PSKmixed. this mode is supported by almost all devices.
These were the main parameters. Now let’s look at what causes the problem when a laptop sees a Wi-Fi network, but cannot connect.
What to do if the laptop sees Wi-Fi but won’t connect
I work as a private computer foreman. I have been professionally engaged in computer repair for over 12 years, as an amateur since the 90s.
For two years she worked as the head of a service center specializing in connecting subscribers to the Internet and computer assistance.