Types of HDMI cables
There are three main form factors that an HDMI cable can run in. The first is a simple type A with 19 pins and is used in full-size devices such as computers, televisions and set-top boxes. This is the most common type. Mini-HDMI type C is a more compact connector, which is used in no less compact devices. smartphones, tablets, netbooks and sometimes video cards. It is also equipped with 19 contacts and is NOT inferior in its characteristics to its “older” brother.
Variety of connectors. Micro-HDMI Type D is the smallest connector in the entire family. Despite its size, it also contains 19 pins and fully meets the specifications. Along with the mini-version, it is used in smartphones, tablets, camcorders and other portable devices. In fact, there are two more types. B and E. The first is only in the Official specification, and has never been used in real devices, since it has 26 contacts and is rather large. The second is quite rare. it is used in car multimedia systems. Equipped with 19 pins and has additional shielding to protect against interference from second vehicle devices. There are a huge number of adapters and adapters for other types of connectors, which allow you to output an image from a laptop via HDMI, for devices such as old TV or PC.
Where is the HDMI input on laptop and TV
On TVs, the connector can be located either on the back or on the side panel. It is not difficult to determine it, since it is unique, and you will not be able to connect another cable there.
The connector is usually labeled, so it is easy to find it. HDMI input on a laptop is also not standardized, so it can be anywhere. But most often found on the back of the device.
Connect your laptop to your TV via HDMI cable: tips and tricks
Updated May 26, 2020
The abbreviation HDMI stands for High Definition Multimedia Interface. That is, a high definition multimedia interface. Physically represents two devices connected with a cable. In our case, a laptop and TV are connected. Naturally, both of them need HDMI ports. Before you display a laptop screen on a TV, it is worth knowing that there are several versions of the interface, and the technology is constantly evolving. Depending on the version, the interface capabilities change in terms of supported resolutions, bandwidth and other parameters.
TV does not see laptop via HDMI
There may be few reasons why the TV cannot see the laptop via HDMI either. The first thing that comes to mind is an incorrectly installed signal source. On some models with 2 or more connectors, you can get confused and choose the wrong one. It is worth checking the correctness of the choice. There is also a possibility that HDMI may not work properly due to Smart TV. The situation is rare, but it does happen. It is worth trying to update the software. In all other cases, suspicion can only fall on the cable or the connector itself.
Connecting laptop to TV via HDMI
There is nothing unusual and complicated in the connection process itself. The only thing, before connecting the laptop to the TV via HDMI, it is advisable to make sure that both versions of the interfaces meet the parameters of the transmitted data.
Setting up your TV for HDMI connection
To switch TV to HDMI signal reception mode, you need to explicitly indicate this in the menu. Usually the remote has buttons like Source or Input. In the TV menu, you need to look for items with the name “Signal Source” or “Datsource”. Naturally, the setup must be done after the HDMI cable is connected to the TV and laptop.
How to set up and enable HDMI on a laptop
If on TV it is enough just to indicate the signal source, then on PC sometimes you have to tweak the connection a little. Before connecting the laptop to the TV, you can select the display type. Usually by default it will just duplicate the source screen. But other types can be specified as well. In versions of Windows 7 and higher, this can be done by pressing the Win P keys. A window will immediately open in which you can select connection options.
Calls up the projector connection menu. There are only 4 of them:
- Only a computer. The signal will not be transmitted to TV, but only to the laptop screen;
- Duplicate. The TV screen will be exactly the same as the PC screen;
- Expand. This type adds one more screen on which it will be possible to separately launch, for example, a video or open a website, while another application will be used on a laptop;
- Only a projector. The signal will not be repeated on the PC, but will only go to TV.
TV resolution usually adjusts automatically. But you can also change it manually in the operating system screen settings.
How to connect a laptop’s HDMI output to an old TV
Since the standard is young, old TVs are NOT equipped with These connectors. Therefore, you have to calculate what inputs are in the TV, and, based on this, look for an adapter or adapter for HDMI. In fact, there are not so many connectors, and they all differ in the number of contacts and shape. But for all of them there are adapters and adapters. This is what the TV inputs might look like:
Now you can determine which type of connectors is installed on your old TV, and select the Corresponding adapter or adapter.
Setting up audio transmission from laptop to TV
As we know, HDMI is also capable of transmitting sound. But this does not always happen in practice. In order to switch the sound, you need to refer to the sound settings in the operating system. To do this, you just need to right-click on the speaker icon in the notification bar and select “Playback Devices”.
Sound menu in the notification bar. A window will open which displays all Possible devices capable of outputting sound. Among them, there must be a connected TV. Right-clicking on it and choosing “Use as default” will switch the sound to TV.
Sound settings window.
How to customize the display
The algorithm for displaying a picture on the display in Windows 7 and 8 is as follows:
- Calling the context menu with the right mouse button and find the item “Screen resolution”;
Display setting in Windows XP operating system is always done in manual mode. You will have to press the buttons a little and switch the TV to AV mode.
Setting up the graphics card
After the correct connection, a picture from the computer should appear on the TV screen. If the image does NOT appear, you need to configure the inputs-outputs and adjust the resolution.
But the general algorithm of actions will always be the same:
- Before configuring, it is advisable to download and install the latest drivers for your video card model;
- Right-click on the screen and select “Properties” in the menu that appears;
- Go to the “Parameters” tab and select the “Advanced” item;
- You will see the “Properties: monitor connection module.” window in which you need to open the “Monitors” tab;
Successful completion of the connection of two devices will be indicated by a system message about the use of an additional screen.
Disease can be cured by knowing its causes. Problems connecting the TV to the computer can be resolved if you know what triggered them.
The main reasons why the computer does not see the TV:
- The connection cable is damaged, incorrectly connected or defective;
- The computer does NOT detect the TV;
- Plasma TV selected connection method;
- Video card drivers or lack thereof;
- Damage to interface ports;
- The computer has a removable video card;
- Burning of internal parts of a TV or computer.
There can be many reasons for problems in the coordinated work of two devices. If you are NOT a specialist, then with confidence you can diagnose only external problems associated with the cable.
Turn on the devices
The TV can always be transformed into a powerful multimedia platform if all devices are turned on in the correct sequence.
The connection algorithm is as follows:
- First, you need to disconnect the computer and TV from the network;
- Turn off the antenna and other peripheral devices of the TV;
In no case should the sequence of operations be changed. After connecting the devices, you need to configure them.
Why can’t my computer see TV via HDMI?
In the era of high digital technology, we can get the best from TV and computer through their connected connection. The creation of such a special connection between technical devices is possible with the assistance of DVI, HDMI or VGA connectors. But, often and for various reasons, these devices do NOT want to make contact with each other. You can always fix existing problems if you know what lies at the root of their occurrence. An approximate description of common problems will help you navigate a difficult situation and open up new ways to eliminate them.
Connect your TV
It is much more convenient to watch movies, amateur videos and photos on a large screen, especially since almost all modern video cards allow you to connect to a TV. Image quality and playback sound on a computer is significantly different from what you see and hear if you connect a blue screen to it.
There are these basic ways to connect a TV to a monitor:
- Connection via VGA interface, with which almost all modern video cards are equipped;
- HDMI cable connection (This method is widely used for high definition signals)
The connection can be realized without using different types of wires. Wi-Fi connection allows you to quickly establish contact between the monitor and the screen, and in addition, frees the house from the cobweb of cables.
Sun signal from computer to TV
The absence of a signal most often indicates that this TV model cannot be connected via HDMI. It is possible that the connection type is incorrectly marked in the option. In this case, you should try other connection methods.
The reason for the lack of a signal on the TV can be viruses, outdated drivers for the video card and cable breakage. Be sure to check the settings of the video card and choose the right type of information display. Finally, look into the BIOS, check the activity of the connection elements.
What to do if the computer cannot see the TV via HDMI?
Almost every modern TV model is equipped with an HDMI connector. Most video cards support multimedia output in this way. But if the computer cannot see the HDMI TV, you need to find out what is preventing the two devices from connecting.
Clear configuration of the TP-LINK TL WR741ND Wi-Fi router. Read more.
Troubleshooting includes the following steps:
- Step one: check the HDMI cable for serviceability and correct connection;
- Step two: check the system settings and work with the computer via HDMI cable in the TV menu;
- Step three: reinstall the graphics card drivers.
Some types of TVs simply do not support HDMI connection and you shouldn’t forget about it. These are (mostly) outdated models that are NOT equipped with a dedicated connector. In such cases, you can try other connection methods. For example via DVI or VGA.
What is HDMI?
HDMI is a multimedia interface that carries high definition video data and digital audio signals. This type of cable is widely used to connect TVs, game consoles, standalone video players, as well as audio receivers to mobile devices and computer equipment. If you have a desire to play a video or show photos on a large screen, then you cannot do without such a device.
Manufacturers of modern multimedia equipment now add HDMI connectors to the standard equipment by default. There are five main types of such ports, which are marked with Latin letters from A to D and differ in size. In addition, each type of HDMI cable differs from the second in functionality and scope.
It is also worth noting that recently, the possibilities and advantages of a wireless connection when connected via HDMI adapters have been widely discussed. Outwardly, they resemble USB-Bluetooth and differ only in connectors.
TV NOT configured
Some TV models do not have an option to automatically detect the signal source. Especially if TV synchronization with other devices was previously configured. In situations where, when connected via HDMI, the TV does not see a laptop or computer, take the remote control, and then select the list of available signal sources. Select “HDMI” from the list.
If the signal was not detected automatically when the cable was connected, then all the work must be done manually. Step-by-step algorithm of actions:
- One plug of the cable must be inserted into a port on the side or back of the TV. The second plug is inserted into the corresponding socket of the PC or laptop.
- Take the remote control and press the “Source” or “Input” button. The name may vary depending on the model and manufacturer of the TV. When the list of available sources appears on the screen, select “HDMI”.
- Go to TV settings to select a specific connector. TVs are predominantly equipped with two HDMI inputs. The connector number can be found directly below it. In the settings, select the one in which the cable was inserted. You can switch between ports using the Special buttons or numbers 8 and 2.
- To make the changes made to the settings take effect, you need to press the “Enter” or “OK” button on the remote control. If there are such buttons on the remote control, then just go down to the little acquired menu, and then select the “Apply” command. In the English version of the menu, it will be called “Apply”.
If you have any difficulties in the process of selecting a signal source, carefully study the instructions that came with the TV. It describes in detail the process of connecting additional devices using the HDMI connector.
In situations where the image was transmitted correctly from a laptop connected to a TV, and then the synchronization was interrupted, you need to start by checking the integrity of the cable. The plug may have come off or the wire was broken. Most of the problems arise precisely because the plug comes off. This could even happen due to the fact that the user just passed by. Mechanical damage to the cord is less common. Cables come in different lengths. Therefore, users have the opportunity to choose the best option for themselves. This eliminates interruptions.
If the laptop is connected to the TV, and the image is still there, then first check if the plugs are correctly inserted into the connectors. If the TV does not see the HDMI cable from the TV, try a different cable. It cannot be ruled out that connection failures were caused by damage to the wire.
Causes of problems and their elimination
Why can’t my computer or laptop see the TV? There are several reasons. We list the most popular:
- The equipment is connected incorrectly;
- Damaged HDMI cable;
- The interface on the PC, laptop or TV is faulty;
- Problems with video card drivers;
- Monitor settings are incorrect;
- The TV settings are incorrect;
- The GPU processor of a computer or laptop is out of order.
Now study in detail why the connection of the computer to the TV does not work. The main stages of equipment diagnostics:
- Assessment of the correctness of the connection diagram and visual inspection of the integrity of the wires.
- Checking Computer and TV Settings.
- Testing the computer’s operating system for viruses.
- Port health diagnostics by connecting to other devices.
- Checking for graphics driver updates.
Now let’s take a closer look at why the TV does NOT find a PC or laptop. Suggest helpful troubleshooting tips.
Inoperative connection port
Absolutely all connectors are susceptible to mechanical damage and short circuits, as a result of which the contacts burn out. Therefore, inaccuracy of the user or a sharp jump in voltage can also lead to the fact that the computer does not see the TV. Experienced experts strongly advise to connect the HDMI cable only on condition that all equipment is de-energized.
Over time, the HDMI output pad on your computer will oxidize. Because of this, the device does NOT detect the connection. Contact the service center for qualified engineers to re-solder the damaged contacts, thus restoring the functionality of the connector.
In some situations, connection problems arise due to the fact that the video card is not equipped with an additional power supply. Therefore, no synchronization takes place. Generally, it will be extremely difficult for the user to verify that the connection is working. It is extremely important to first analyze the features of the graphics adapter.
Why the TV does not see the laptop via HDMI and how to solve the problem
Synchronization of the TV and computer allows you to significantly expand the functionality of the equipment. The user will be able to run video games on the big screen, watch movies, series and TV shows. There are several connection methods, but HDMI remains the priority. In some situations, the computer cannot see the TV via HDMI. What is the cause of this problem? There are several options. Now let’s look at each of them, as well as provide useful recommendations for reconnecting.
Features of HDMI wires and the main causes of malfunction
HDMI stands for High Definition Multimedia Interface. This is a modern connector that transmits audio and video simultaneously. Almost all equipment is equipped with this interface. “Tulip” and other cables popular in the past are designed to transmit an analog signal. HDMI cable transmits content in digital content with Full HD or 4K resolution (depending on version).
Therefore, if you need to connect a computer to the TV screen, then it is best to use this particular interface. The connector provides data transmission of the highest quality and minimum latency. Unlike other wires, HDMI simultaneously transmits sound and picture to TV.
The HDMI interface was introduced back in 2002. Since then, the developers have released many different modifications. They gradually increase the carrying capacity of the cord. Developers try to timely add support for popular formats and many other useful features.
HDMI versions over 1.4 support internet signal transmission, 3D and 4K resolution. The HDMI internet connection differs from Wi-Fi wireless technology in its increased data transfer speed and a more stable and reliable signal. The most popular HDMI form factors are:
- Type A. the classic version;
- Type C. mini HDMI;
- Type D. micro HDMI.
Video card problem
Broken video card is another common reason why the TV stopped seeing a laptop or PC. The message “Sun signal” appeared on the screen, what should I do in such situations? To fix the problem, you need to update the drivers. Finding them on the Internet will NOT be difficult. You can download the update package from the official website of the GPU processor manufacturer.
You need to start by studying the technical characteristics of the video card. The fact is that not all graphics modules support the option of displaying images on multiple monitors. You can familiarize yourself with such characteristics in the documentation that comes with the video card. If all documents have been lost, then you can use special software.
To update the drivers for the GPU adapter, follow the step by step instructions:
- Go to control panel.
- In the “Display” column, select “Small icons”.
- Go to “Device Manager”.
- Find the “Display Adapters” tab in Device Manager.
- Expand the tab to see the available video cards.
- Right click on the video card, and then from the context menu select “Update driver”.
- The operating system will automatically check for new drivers. Installation takes place in the background.
As noted earlier, you can also download the drivers yourself. You should NOT download files from unverified sources. Download updates exclusively from the official portal of the video card manufacturer. Installation is carried out through an automated installer. Therefore, problems should not arise.
Incorrect monitor settings
If there are problems with signal transmission, then you need to diagnose the settings of the laptop or computer. Very often, the computer does not see the TV via HDMI precisely because of incorrect system parameters. No special knowledge is required for this. It is enough just to follow a simple instruction:
- Let’s bring the mouse to the free space of the screen, and then right-click.
- In the context menu that appears, select “Screen resolution”. This item is sometimes referred to as “Characteristics”. It all depends on the version of the operating system.
- Choose the best way to display your picture on a large TV screen. Adhere to the resolution indicated in the TV specifications.
The settings panel is much easier to turn on on a laptop. Hold down the FnF4 key combination. Hold this combination until the optimal resolution is automatically determined. As soon as the laptop or PC goes into sleep mode, the image will go blank. Therefore, it is better to turn off the automatic transition to sleep in order to establish an uninterrupted connection with the TV.
Viruses on the computer
Sometimes the laptop does not see the TV via HDMI due to the presence of viruses or malware on the laptop. Such a problem occurs extremely rarely, but in no case can this cause be completely ruled out.
To increase the level of protection of your PC or laptop, download an antivirus. You don’t have to buy a license. At first, you can get by with the free version, the action of which is limited in time. on average, about 30 days. As an example, let’s consider the process of starting a scan using Kaspersky Anti-Virus:
- We activate the program, and then start the scan command by clicking on the corresponding icon.
- Select the type of scan. “Full scan”, and then click on the “Start scan” button.
- A comprehensive scan of the operating system for viruses can take about 2-3 hours. If the antivirus has found malicious applications or infected files, then this will be written in the scan report.
Difficulties in the process of setting up a PC and TV connection via HDMI are extremely rare, but if problems appear, then they can be solved by our own efforts. An exception is broken ports. Replacing the HDMI interface or re-soldering the contact pad without professional equipment will NOT work.
How to update software on a video card
If the difficulties with connection after the recommendations above have not gone away, then updating the software for the PC connected with the image display can help. The driver might be out of date, damaged, or simply missing. In such a situation, you should open Device Manager and look at the “video adapters” tab. To do this, select the “my computer” icon in the “control” menu, which opens by clicking on the right mouse button.
If a red or yellow icon next to the adapter is lit, then there is a problem with this node. To update, you can immediately open its properties and select automatic driver update, but it is more efficient to download it from the manufacturer’s website.
We carry out diagnostics
What should be done if the TV cannot see the laptop via HDMI? Video cards of all modern products support such a connection: HDMI is installed on the TV on almost every model. If the laptop was connected according to all the rules, but there are still images, then connect the laptop to the TV, while sequentially checking all Possible malfunctions.
Connection port malfunction
Any connector can be mechanically damaged or burned during power surges, which are NOT rare in our electrical networks. Experienced masters advise connecting the HDMI cable when devices are disconnected from the network, even the antenna cable is recommended to be disconnected for this time.
There is also such a very rare reason why the TV does not see HDMI: it just has additional power on the video card, and without this the connection will not work.
Checking the signal source
On the remote control (RC), press the button to select the external input option. It depends on the specific model of the product, which button on the remote control of the TV must be pressed “source”, “input” or “HDMI” (LG, Sony or Samsung). After pressing, a menu appears on the screen with a detailed list of active inputs. We select and confirm by pressing OK or Enter, it is the desired input, which previously connected the cable coming from the laptop.
Not a single product, even the most reliable brand, is immune from factory defects, especially when assembled by hand. When buying, the image quality and sound are checked, but they never check specific connectors and connection jacks on the TV. at best they make sure that they are available, and even then not all buyers. It often happens that the cable itself does not work, although it has not been used for centuries for a long time. It is necessary to connect the same cable, but to the second device, if it functions normally, then the reason that the computer does not see the TV lies in the latter. It is necessary to diagnose the TV for the recognition of Similar signals.
Setting the resolution and frequency
Sometimes, after following the above recommendations, the picture is still NOT broadcast. In this case, the reason may be that the TV and the system unit are not compatible in their parameters. For example, for an old SD or HD TV, the FHD resolution of the PC video card is too high. In this case, it is worth entering the screen settings according to the above algorithms and, choosing the second display (TV), will lower the resolution for it.
The second reason that can affect the image is frequency. By default, the PC graphics card is set to 60 Hz. For TV, try decreasing the value gradually.
Some Samsung TVs had an issue where a window appeared with the text “HDMI mode not supported”. There were many recommendations on the forums to combat this, but it turned out that this is a problem with the factory firmware, and in order to fix the defect, you need to contact the manufacturer’s service center, where the new software is installed. In modern Samsung TVs such nuances are comments.
Image output settings in Windows
If the connection cord and interfaces work, but the system unit still DOES NOT display the picture on the TV screen, then the problem lies in the operating system settings. How to properly configure the system unit for different OS versions is described below.
- On the desktop, you need to open the task menu and find the item “screen resolution”.
- We select the item “connect to the projector” and click duplicate so that the image remains on each monitor. If you need to completely transfer the picture to TV, then click on “projector only”.
- After entering the control panel, you should select the submenu “design and personalization”.
- In the “screen” section, we find “multiple displays” and select “duplicate” or “extend the table only to the second display”.
- In the screen parameters, select “display “and scrolls to” multiple displays “.
- If all the connections are made correctly, then the second screen will be immediately displayed, it remains only to indicate how exactly to use it. duplicating or as the main.
TV does not see computer via HDMI
HDMI is a popular connector for interfacing various equipment with each other (for example, a computer and a TV). But when connecting, all sorts of difficulties may arise. technical and / or software. Some of them can be solved independently; to eliminate the second, it may be necessary to hand over the equipment for repair or replace a faulty cable.
Correct TV settings
Some TV models are unable to independently determine the signal source, especially if any other device was connected to the TV via HDMI before. In this case, you will have to kill all the settings again. The instructions for this case may vary slightly from the TV model, but its standard version looks something like this:
- Connect the laptop to the TV using an HDMI cable. Make sure that you have connected everything correctly and that the contacts do not come off. For convincingness, you can additionally tighten special screws, if provided by the design;
- On the TV remote control find any button with one of THESE names. “Source”, “Input”, “HDMI”. With their help, you will enter the connection source selection menu;
Select the desired HDMI port from the menu (many TVs have two). The desired port can be viewed by the number of the connector where you plugged the cable (the number is written above or below the connector). To navigate through the menu items Use either the channel buttons or the numbers 8 and 2 (depending on the TV model)
For some TVs, the instructions may look slightly different. In the second paragraph, instead of the proposed options, enter the TV menu (a button with a corresponding inscription or logo) and select the HDMI connection option. If the TV has several connectors of this type, then do the rest in accordance with paragraphs 3 and 4.
If this method did NOT help, use the instructions for the TV (it should say how to connect via an HDMI cable to this particular device) or pay attention to other ways to solve the problem.
If you have a cable with any intermediate adapters, for example, you can use it to connect to a DVI connector. Instead, it is better to try using a regular HDMI cable operating in HDMI-HDMI mode, as the TV / monitor may NOT accept a cable that implies the ability to connect to multiple ports at the same time. If the replacement does not help, then you will have to look for and eliminate another cause.
Let’s check the HDMI ports on a computer / laptop and TV. Pay attention to these defects:
- Broken and / or rusted, oxidized contacts. If any are found, then the port will have to be replaced completely, because. Contacts are its most important component;
- The presence of dust or second debris inside. Dust and debris can distort the signal, which will cause inconvenience when playing video and audio content (quiet or no sound, distorted or stagnant picture)
- View how well the port is installed. If it begins to loosen at the slightest physical impact, then it will have to be fixed either independently or with the help of workers of specialized services.
Perform the same HDMI cable test, pay attention to the following points:
- Broken and / or oxidized contacts. If such defects are found, the cables will have to be replaced;
Please understand that not all cables match all HDMI connectors. The latter are divided into several main types, each of which has its own wire.
Misconfigured PC / Laptop Operation Multiple screens is also a prerequisite for why HDMI connection is ineffective. If no external displays other than a TV are connected to the computer, then this method cannot be ignored, since problems arise if a monitor or other device is connected to a PC or laptop using HDMI (sometimes other connectors, for example, VGA or DVI).
A step-by-step instruction for setting up Multiple Screens for Windows 7/8 / 8.1 / 10 devices looks like this:
- Right-click an empty area on the desktop. In the menu that appears, you need to select “Screen Resolution” or “Screen Settings”.
Under the picture with the screen on which the number 1 is written, you need to click on the “Find” or “detect” item so that the system detects and connects the TV.
It is worth remembering that HDMI is capable of providing a single-stream connection, that is, correct operation with only one screen, therefore it is recommended to disable an unnecessary device (in this example, a monitor) or select the display mode “Display desktop 1: 2”. First, you can see how the image will be broadcast to 2 devices at the same time. If you are satisfied with the quality of the broadcast, then you do not need to change anything.
Updates the drivers for the video card
Initially, it is recommended to know the characteristics of your video card, since some graphics adapters are NOT capable of displaying images on two displays at once. You can find out this aspect by viewing the documentation for the video card / computer / laptop or using third-party software.
First, update the drivers for your adapter. You can do it like this:
- Go to “Control Panel”, put “Display” to “Small icons” and find “Device Manager”.
In it, find the “Video adapters” tab and expand it. Select one of the installed adapters, if there are several;
Also, the drivers can be downloaded and installed from the Internet, necessarily from the manufacturer’s official website. It is enough to indicate the adapter model there in the appropriate section, download the required software file and install it following the instructions.
We clean the computer from viruses
Least of all, problems with the output of a signal from a computer to a TV via HDMI arise due to viruses, but if none of the above helped you and all the cables and ports are in good working order, then the probability of a virus penetration should not be ruled out.
To protect yourself, it is recommended to download, install any free or paid Antivirus package and regularly use it to scan your PC for dangerous programs. Let’s consider how to start a PC scan for viruses using Kaspersky Anti-Virus (it is paid, but there is a demo period for 30 days):
- Run the antivirus program and in the main window select the scan icon with the corresponding signature.
Problems with connecting a computer with HDMI to a TV do not occur often, and if they do appear, they can always be solved. Provided that your ports and / or cables are broken, they will have to be replaced, otherwise it will NOT work.
Laptop does NOT connect to TV via HDMI
Connecting via HDMI is one of the most popular nowadays, since it allows you to transmit sound and image in good quality and as stable as possible. However, when trying to pair a laptop and a TV into a user, various difficulties are possible, with which we will continue to help you figure it out. In this article, we will look at the common problems of connecting a laptop to a TV using an HDMI cable.
Problem 2: No sound
Owners of obsolete notebook models often experience problems with sound output. The image transmitted to the TV without sound may be due to software and hardware incompatibility.
- It is necessary to manually configure the audio device using Windows. This process is described step by step in our separate article.
We also recommend that you update your sound card software for normal operation of the HDMI interface. This can be accomplished by following the standard driver update steps. Follow the links below to find all the guides you need to know about this topic.
Owners of Realtek sound cards can use a separate instruction.
Read more: Download and Install Sound Drivers for Realtek
Audio over HDMI Channel (ARC) support may NOT be supported by your device. Despite the fact that now almost all devices are equipped with ARC technology, the problem has not remained in the past. The fact is that as soon as the HDMI interface appeared, it only transmitted images. If you are “lucky” to purchase a device where HDMI of the first versions is installed, you will not be able to implement sound transmission in any scenario. In this case, you will need to replace equipment or purchase a special headset.
Do not forget that the cable, like Plasma sound output, can also be the culprit. Check the specifications of your TV and laptop to see if the HDMI port is working with sound. If there are no complaints about the connectors, you should try to replace the cable with a new one.
What to do if laptop won’t connect to TV via HDMI
Connecting a laptop to a TV with HDMI interface for some users fails. Usually, the TV does NOT output an image or sound track, and there are several reasons for this. As a rule, they can be eliminated without much difficulty by following the recommendations below.
Problem 1: No signal on the screen, there is an image
So, you have connected the devices with an HDMI cable, but the image does NOT appear. In this situation, the following actions are possible:
- The first step is to check the cable connection both on the TV panel and on the laptop itself. The cable plug must fully fit into the HDMI connector of both devices.
- Next, check the settings of the TV and the laptop itself. The number of the connected HDMI port is indicated in the TV settings, and the image output method is indicated in the Windows Control Panel. The process of connecting a PC to a TV is described in detail in our other article at the link below. We advise you to follow all the recommendations from there and if the problem reappears, refer to this article again.
Read more: connect computer to TV via HDMI
It is possible that the laptop’s video adapter is working with an older driver. It needs to be updated for full HDMI output to work. Updating software is performed both by built-in Windows functions and by means of third-party programs. Expanded in ways to get the latest driver, read the link below.
Problem 3: Broken connector or cable
Like any other technique, HDMI controllers or connectors can fail. If the above methods did not bring the desired result:
- Connect another cable. Despite the seeming simplicity of buying it, there are several tips and nuances that will make the choice right. In a separate article, we talked in more detail about choosing a device that provides a TV and laptop / PC connection.
We’ve covered all kinds of malfunctions that occur when transferring a laptop image to a TV. We hope this article was useful enough. In case you encounter technical problems (connector breakage), do not repair yourself!