Laptop does not detect wireless internet: why?
Many faced a SIMilar problem. The most offensive thing is that a failure could happen at any site, at any link. Popular routers that people use to connect today are configured in about the same way. On the part of the laptop, certain actions are also required, almost completely identical for all models.
Reasons for not detecting wireless networks:
1) Your router is not configured to receive a signal, it is turned off for some reason, started to glitch or freeze;
2) The reason lies in the computer; NOT made Appropriate settings, hardware slider or wireless button is disabled (it is usually located on the case)
3) the Internet was not paid for or the provider turned it off for other reasons;
4) The owner of the access point to which you are trying to connect unauthorized (without permission) is blocking your connection;
5) Antivirus program blocks the World Wide Web;
6) IP addresses entered automatically.
There are many reasons. Explain situations when the provider restricts your actions or you are trying to connect to a “stranger” No, but we will not. In such cases, issues need to be resolved with money or personal charm. And here all instructions are useless.
The laptop does NOT recognize Wi-Fi: 3 Possible problems
Why can’t my laptop see Wi-Fi? Access points are almost everywhere. But there is no way to connect to the Internet. Because the laptop seems to be “blind”. Everything seems to be done right.
The required settings have been made. And the computer is deaf. Why?
Finding a solution
Why can’t the computer see the USB flash drive? The reason may be in the computer or in the flash drive. Likewise with wireless Internet.
To solve a problem, you need to classify it. Where is the link failure?
1. The router does not receive an audio signal without connecting to the Internet.
2. The laptop does NOT connect to the signal transmission device.
3. The signal is on, the computer sees the network, but it is still impossible to access the Internet. For some reason.
Problem The router does not work.
The easiest way to make sure it works is to connect the laptop to it via a network cable. If everything is fine with the router, the internet connection will happen.
External signs of device inoperability:
A) “is silent” Corresponding indicator on the case;
b) there is no Internet connection in the administrative panel in the WAN tab.
What can be done?
1. Turn off and turn on the router (suddenly it freezes).
2. Check if the router and network card are turned on.
3. Check the settings for connecting to the provider. If necessary, re-enter them manually.
4. Call the provider and ask if everything is in order with the network.
Problem The laptop won’t connect to the router.
The device receiving the signal is working. Other computers, smartphones, phones, and the like see the router. And a specific computer does not see anything.
1. Check the network connection on your computer (in the “Network Connections” tab).
2. We check the settings of the router and laptop. Through the “Control Panel” we find the network interface responsible for the connection. The path to it is different in different versions of the operating system. But usually the adapter is signed as “Wireless Network Connection”. Go to “Properties” and find the protocol of the Internet version. We go back to “Properties” and check if the IP address, default gateway, subnet mask are specified. Perhaps this data was NOT entered at all. Then we enter them (they are obtained from the router).
3. We check on the device case whether the corresponding button is enabled.
Problem The laptop sees networks, but the Internet is not working.
1. We reinstall the Wi-Fi transmitter drivers (they are on the laptop manufacturer’s website).
2. Check for the presence of auto transitions to “sleep mode”. This setting often gets in the way. Therefore, the automatic transition to sleep mode must be disabled.
3. Make Wi-Fi a secure network for your computer. Perhaps the firewall perceives it as a threat and then DOES NOT let it go. The procedure can be performed through the “Network and Sharing Center”. We go there and just select the desired network.
Try disabling your antivirus software while checking. Perhaps the problem is her. Any of THESE methods should help.
Do network diagnostics. Although many will be rather skeptical about this advice, sometimes it can also help. Right-click on the wireless network icon in the tray and select “Troubleshoot”. Windows will check, and if it finds a problem, it will suggest solutions.
If after diagnostics a message appears: The gateway is set by default, but not available, then in a separate article you can read about ways to solve this error.
If after that, the laptop still does not see Wi-Fi, check if the wireless Wi-Fi adapter is enabled on the laptop.
Find on one of the F1-F12 buttons the wireless icon, mine is F2. Also, on the button itself, near the power button or touchpad, there should be a light indicator, which indicates that the wi-fi is on. It is in my case, if the wi-fi is disabled, the indicator light is on. To enable it, press the combination FnF2.
You also need to check that the network card is enabled. To do this, click on the wireless network icon in the tray with the right mouse button and select “Network and Sharing Center”.
In the next window, click “Change adapter parameters”.
If your “Wireless Network Connection” is grayed out, right-click on it and select “Enable”.
After that, the icon should become colored. This indicates that the network adapter is on and the laptop can connect to the Wi-Fi network.
The laptop does not see the Wi-Fi network and does NOT connect to Wi-Fi
Many users sooner or later face this problem. There may be various reasons why Wi-Fi does not work on a laptop. Perhaps you recently installed a new operating system, bought a new router, or upgraded an old one and others.
In general, if you also find yourself in such a situation, and you cannot connect your laptop to a Wi-Fi network, then in this article we will consider several ways that should help you connect a laptop to Wi-Fi.
Let’s start with the SIMplest thing. restart your router. To do this, unplug the power supply from the outlet, wait 10 seconds and turn it back on. Then reboot your operating system.
Check the network adapter drivers. Click “Start”, write “Device Manager” in the search bar and follow the link found.
Expand the list “Network adapters”. The required adapter will be called something like: model name and “Wireless Network Adapter” (may be written Wi-Fi).
First you need to make sure it is turned on. Therefore, click on it with the right mouse button, and if there is an item “enable” in the menu. Click on it.
Now pay attention that there is no yellow exclamation mark or red cross next to the adapter. If you have it as in the figure below, then everything is fine with the installed drivers. If you have one of the mentioned signs (in the figure I indicated with an arrow how it might look), you need to install or update the driver.
If you had a disk with your laptop with drivers for installed devices, use it and reinstall the driver. If this does not help, and the laptop still will NOT be able to connect to Wi-Fi, go to the official website of your laptop manufacturer, download the drivers for the network adapter from there and install them.
You can read about installing drivers in the article: how to install a driver on hardware.
Also, to update or install missing drivers, you can use the free Driver Pack Solution.
Checking the WLAN Auto Configuration Service
This service is responsible for the wireless network adapters, and if it is not running, then the adapters will be unavailable, respectively, the laptop will not be able to connect to Wi-Fi.
We go to the “Start” menu and write to the search bar “Services”. Go to the corresponding item.
Then in the list we look for “WLAN auto-configuration service”. Click on it with the right mouse button and, if it is disabled, click “Run”.
Checking router settings
Router settings can get confused, and not always through the user’s fault. Perhaps the network password was SIMply changed.
If your wireless network icon is muted, and there is a yellow asterisk next to it, click on it with the mouse, select a network and try to connect to it, I previously found out if the access password has changed. The reason may be this.
Now let’s go to the router settings. There is already a detailed article on this topic on the site, follow the link, you can read it.
If, for some reason, they are lost, you need to configure them. In my case, you need to follow the link “Wireless Network Settings Wizard”. You may have slightly different menu items, it all depends on the model of the router, but you need to do the same.
Make sure you have a checkmark in the “Enable wireless connection” box.
Then you can change the network name and access password, select the wireless mode (b, g, n). This is what concerns the router itself.
Also take a look at the Network Information (LAN) section. You may need to change the settings here in agreement with the provider.
For those who receive an error when trying to connect: Network settings saved on this computer, and do not correspond to the requirements of this network, the article at the link can help.
I hope at least one of the tips helped you solve the question: why the laptop does not connect to Wi-Fi, and now your device is successfully connected to the network.
There was a SIMilar problem. I decided in the same way. Thanks for the tip!
Everything worked fine. But unexpectedly, a certain Wi-Fi network disappeared. The laptop sees the rest of the networks, but it doesn’t. However, the phone perfectly catches this network and connects to it. YOU works fine with it. But the laptop does not see it. the laptop can connect to networks, but does NOT want to.
1.Dmitry, try turning off and on the router.
2. Change the network name in the router settings, for example to 12345
3.Change the broadcasting channel to any other than the current one
4.Turn off temporarily encryption where the password is specified i.e. Login without password.
5.Reset the router to factory settings, update the firmware if available, set up the connection to the provider and immediately check the laptop’s definition of the wireless network of the router, if everything is in order, you can further configure the router in terms of Wi-Fi and other settings.
Apparently we are talking about a driver for a Wi-Fi module, which can be downloaded from the laptop manufacturer’s website. But you better first make sure that the desired channel is set on the router, on the tab responsible for Wi-Fi. If there is “Auto”, then perhaps the reason is this.
Good afternoon. The laptop stopped connecting to the Wi-Fi network. In the list of networks, he does not see it at all. The phone and other laptop can see this network perfectly and connect to it as before without any problems. The driver on the laptop was deleted, reinstalled, there is a result.
Hello. All devices in the house see the router except the laptop. Previously, there was no such problem, but for about two weeks I have been suffering with this: the laptop sees the router only when I change its name. And after turning it off, it drops again. So I had to change the name several times. How can you fix the problem and make sure that the laptop sees the router constantly and connects to it automatically?
The situation is as follows: the mat was changed on the laptop. Fee. There was 7 Windows, revived, the data was all preserved. But now the trouble with Wi-Fi does not see the distribution from the router, but accepts the distribution of norms on the phone. What can be and how to treat?
Most likely yes, if you wish, try reinstalling the system on the same windows7, installed a new wireless driver from the manufacturer’s website, this should solve the problem. If the network is visible from second devices, then the laptop‘s Wi-Fi adapter should also see it.
Windows 8 sees wireless networks up to channel 11. In the settings of the Wi-Fi router or access point, change the channel to any of the interval 1-11, and everything will be.
In Win 8.1 Note suddenly stopped seeing its Wi Fi network, but perfectly saw “strangers”. At the same time, the phone and other computers continued to work normally with “its” Wi fi. The above and below stated “dances with a tambourine” did not help, Until I changed the channel selection mode from “Auto” to specific on the router in the “Wireless network” settings five “. thanks!
Good afternoon, tell me, my laptop does not see my Wi-Fi, it sees all the neighboring ones, but mine is available, if you connect the wire directly to the laptop, the Internet works. How to be? I already found SIMilar problems here, but I did not understand what needs to be updated there and how I can solve this problem, please explain in more detail, I am not very strong in laptop settings. Thanks in advance.
Try to change the name of the Wi-Fi network in the settings of the router, for example, to 12345, turn off / turn on the router and devices that DO NOT see your network.
If it does not help, restore the factory settings on the router (the name of the Wi-Fi network will be the default) and manipulate the Wi-Fi settings in the router, check if the Wi-Fi network is visible on all your devices
Hello, tried it does not help. I stitched the phone on Windows background 7, everything is fine. We changed it back to Windows, the mobile does not see again. I tried it on the second computers on 8 does not see and 7 see. Worth protection wep. How to put wpa, I believe that this is the whole point.
How to share the Internet on HTC
To use your HTC smartphone as a tethering device, follow these steps:
- You need to go to “Settings”, then click “Sharing wireless Internet.” It is necessary to select the item “” in the menu.
- In the list that opens, the line “Router settings” is required.
The following procedure is different for different models. First, we will consider how HTC to distribute the Internet for those phones that have been produced since 2013. In this case, do the following:
- You need to pull the icon in the upper right corner down. This will open the menu for setting.
- Go through the “General access” term “Advanced” to the settings of the router.
- On the page that opens, you need to write the name of the network to be created, select the encryption system (it is recommended to select WPA2 with the introduction of AES) and Tick the “turn on the router” period.
- A password is required to access the wireless network. It will need to be indicated on the devices connected to it.
After completing the listed actions, the network will turn on and will be ready to work.
Older HTC variants (released before the end of 2012) will now be considered. Here you need to perform the following operations:
- In the settings section, select wireless connections.
- By clicking on the link “”, choose the term “USB-modem / Access point”.
- In the list that opens, open the router settings and enter the network parameters (name, password, encryption method).
- It is necessary to tick the box “Mobile Wi-Fi router”.
After that, the access point becomes active and begins to distribute access to the worldwide network.
Why the distribution doesn’t work
By default, a Sony, Android or other phone does NOT share internet. For it to do this, you need to configure it correctly. If an accidental failure occurs, then the easiest way to restore functionality is to restart the phone and the device that gets access to the Internet from it. Sometimes the connection is restored as a result. If restarting was not enough, you need to make sure that the configuration was done correctly. This will help you figure out why the Internet is not working.
To do this, go to the “Network and Internet” section. In the list of parameters you can see the term “Access point and modem”. In different models, the name may be Different, but it can be recognized by the meaning of the title. Among the parameters there is a switch “Access point“. It must be turned on.
Next, you need to correct the parameters of the created wireless network. The parameters are indicated here: name, password, frequency range (2.4 or 5.0 GHz). After entering the data, you need to save.
For verification, it is recommended to change the input parameters and make a test connection of the second device. Sometimes the connection may NOT be established due to the network being NOT password protected. In this case, you need to install it and try again.
The reason some devices may NOT connect is because the frequency range is 5.0 GHz. In this case, you need to change it to 2.4 GHz.
To make it easier to log into the network, you can try a very SIMple password. This is necessary in cases where problems arise due to the inconvenience of typing a long and complex password.
Sometimes it is impossible to make a connection due to the fact that the Xiaomi phone cannot receive the Internet. In this case, the provider’s settings play an important role. It is necessary to check if they are indicated correctly on the smartphone.
Fixing an error when distributing a network over Wi-Fi on Android
When you cannot get the Internet from a smartphone with Android installed, Possible reasons are as follows:
- This may be due to the work of the antivirus. It usually has a firewall that blocks communication if it suspects that the smartphone is in danger in this case. Sometimes it is possible to go into the settings of the antivirus program and fix the situation. In most cases, in order for it to stop blocking, uninstalling this program can help.
- Since there are often third-party programs installed on your phone, one of them can block the wireless connection. This may be a prerequisite for Android not distributing Wi-Fi. However, it is possible that this behavior is due to the presence of a virus. If you have malware, you can SIMply install an antivirus program and scan your phone. If an intervention is detected, it is enough to perform the treatment procedure. If we are talking about one of the installed programs, then it is recommended to uninstall one by one until Wi-Fi or mobile Internet becomes available again.
- Sometimes there may be a situation where the Wi-Fi connection works, but no network is available at the moment. In this case, you need to take care of receiving and distributing mobile Internet. To do this, go to the settings, go to the “Mobile data” section and enter the relevant parameters.
Another possible prerequisite for a Wi-Fi hotspot not working on Android is that the smartphone has the wrong network settings. In such a situation, you need to contact the telecom operator and invite the relevant data to it. After entering them, the Internet should work.
If the computer does not have a wireless adapter, then in this case, you can use a smartphone “Samsung”, “Sony” or any other as a USB modem. It does not require any settings on a PC and starts working immediately after the phone is connected via the USB port. To do this, you need to have the operating system Windows 7 or later installed on your computer.
Note! To activate this mode, you need to enter the section related to wireless networks in the settings. Where additional functions are discussed, you must select the option “USB Modem”.
Eliminate OS crash
Sometimes, why the phone does not distribute Wi-Fi to the laptop is due to the fact that there are general problems in the operating system. Such a situation, for example, is possible in cases where a virus infection has occurred and system programs cannot work in normal mode.
Important! In some cases, an antivirus program is able to correct the consequences of its destructive effects, but this is not the case in all cases.
To eliminate them, you need to perform the following actions:
- Reset the operating system to factory settings. Before that, you need to dump all the necessary information onto other media.
- If you regularly performed the synchronization procedure using Google, you should not worry about this. the data is completely safe. However, you must take care of the safety of your documents and other information yourself.
Updating the OS to the latest version may help:
- In the settings you need to go to the “Archiving and reset” section. To carry out this procedure, you need to follow the prompts on the screen.
- Next, go to the option and start the system update.
After that, access to the worldwide network should work at the same speed. If this does not happen, you need to update the firmware on your smartphone. Although you can do it yourself, it is recommended that you seek professional help. This procedure is not available only on “Android”, but also on “iPhone”.
However, this option has significant disadvantages:
- The phone is tied to the computer.
- This way the connection is often slow.
It is possible to distribute using Bluetooth. Why do this depends on the availability of the appropriate devices. To enable this option in the wireless settings (Additional functions) find the term “Bluetooth modem” and activate this feature. Only devices with the required adapter can access such a network.
Why is the Wi-Fi hotspot not working on the phone
The smartphone can be used to PROVIDE wireless Internet access to second home or office devices. However, in some cases, the phone does not distribute the Internet through the access point. In this case, it is necessary to consider all Possible causes, find the one that occurs, and take the Appropriate measures.
Important! Providing access to the worldwide network is convenient in cases where a suitable service package is installed or if there is no other access option, but there is a need for this.
It should be remembered that if you turn on the Internet with the distribution of access, then this dramatically increases the consumed traffic. Therefore, it will be a wise step to monitor it regularly in the process. It is impossible not to pay attention to this only if you have unlimited access to the worldwide network.
A Meizu or other phone can only distribute access if it is connected. Therefore, in the event of communication interruptions, you need to check the quality of the connection.
The smartphone can act as a router, creating its own wireless network. To do this, it is enough to configure it in the necessary way.
Troubleshooting Wi-Fi network connection problems on laptops
All laptop owners may sooner or later face the fact that the laptop does not see Wi-Fi. The complexity is, in principle, widespread, and some of the solutions will help any wireless network user. The article will give a full answer to the question of what to do if the laptop does not see the Wi-Fi network. Consider what causes can lead to such consequences, how to deal with the difficulty of auto products and the nuances of elimination on various platforms.
- Check your laptop for the presence of a mechanical button or a mode switch for the wireless adapter, and try to turn it on (there are times when people accidentally cling to an unnoticeable toggle switch, and are 100% sure that nothing like that happened from the laptop). You can also try the Fn key combination “button with the Wi-Fi network icon”
- It is not difficult to check whether the driver is installed correctly, there is an instruction.
The case when the laptop does not see Wi-Fi networks at all
In such cases, when you turn it on, you DO NOT detect any wireless networks as such. In the “tray” (the space, which is in the lower right corner by default settings and is represented as a line with notes), instead of the connection icon, you will see a red cross. It is also possible that the icon will be standard, but the computer does not see Wi-Fi, and you are sure that there are wireless networks within the receiver’s radius (it is easy to check using a phone or other device with a Wi-Fi adapter). The difficulty is obvious, and in another case, it would be necessary to call the wizard, but after reading this article it will be possible to solve such a problem yourself.
The case when the laptop does not see a specific network
The difficulty when your laptop does not see Wi-Fi is also solved. Let’s say the device does NOT find the router’s network, but sees signals from a neighboring office or building without difficulty. This difficulty is puzzling, especially if you look for a solution in a laptop (the malfunction is not always located in the computer, sometimes it does not catch Wi-Fi due to third-party reasons).
- The most common reason why a laptop does not see Wi-Fi is that the laptop’s wireless adapter is turned off. Often it is accidentally turned off manually, although there are times when this happens due to the fault of the installed software. It can be disabled by system, by a combination of buttons on the keyboard or in the wireless networks menu. It is also possible to physically disconnect by means of a button on the laptop case.
- A possible prerequisite for the complexity is the absence or incorrect installation of the drivers for the network card, when installing the wrong version of the software (Software) for the network card, or installation failure.
- The reason that the laptop stopped seeing the network is the absence of active wireless networks within the range of the device.
The reason that the laptop does not find a specific network is very often (in about 85% of cases) one. Due to the fact that wireless networks have entered our life very densely, often in large cities there are about 10 routers distributing Internet for one reception signal. Each new access point that appears looks for a free range. In the settings of wireless networks, for the most part, automatic range search is set. When you turn on the laptop, It does not find Wi-Fi later, which accidentally tuned in to the range of the neighboring Wi-Fi connection.