Power supply defective
If there is mechanical damage to the unit, the battery will also not be charged.
- Disconnect the laptop, pull out the plug;
- Take out the battery, return the plug back;
- Plug in the power supply, turn on the laptop.
The computer should turn on, run on AC power without a battery. If not, the power supply is defective. A wire may be broken or there is not enough power to charge.
Laptop battery does not charge: reasons and solutions
Samsung, Sony, and Toshiba computer owners alike face the problem of charging laptop batteries. Each accumulator has a limited number of charge / discharge cycles, depending on the model, their number varies from 2 to 5 thousand. Although the power decreases over time, it is not always necessary to solve the problem by replacing the battery. It is difficult to determine on your own why the battery is not charging on a laptop of a certain company, but we will tell you how to fix it in different ways.
In some laptops, during production, utilities are installed that monitor the charging of the device. They increase the battery life while preventing full charging.
You can check the availability of utilities in the notification area of the laptop (system tray). The charging icon may look different from the standard one. this is a sign of the presence of the utility.
Modern systems independently regulate the process of energy use, so installation of additional applications is not necessary.
The battery is overheating
Over time, the cooling systems become clogged with dust, which leads to overheating of the computer in general and the battery in particular. Equipment heats up faster in a dusty, stuffy space. Overheating is one of the reasons for the malfunctioning of the battery during the hot season.
How do you know if the battery is overheated? At first it works properly, after a while the system displays a message that charging is not being carried out. The first thing to do is to clean the computer from dust. Seek Specialized Help.
Reset BIOS settings
It is not always possible to determine why the battery is not charging on a laptop of a certain company, but this solution is suitable for all models.
- Disconnect the power supply;
- Take out the battery. In most cases, they are removable, in order to remove them, it is necessary to move the locking elements;
- Hold the start button for a few minutes;
- Return the power supply, DO NOT insert the battery back;
- When turning on the system, you must hold down the button to enter the BIOS settings. Different combinations may be used for different computer models. F2, del or F12 are often used;
- It is necessary to reset the settings to the pre-installation ones (column “Restore Defaults”.) And save the action;
- Hold down the start button to turn off the computer;
- Disconnect the power supply, insert the battery;
- Connect the power supply and start the laptop.
A common problem occurs when a new laptop battery is NOT charging.
There are situations of the following nature:
- Windows shows the computer is plugged in but does NOT charge, even if the charge level is zero.
- The power supply is connected to the mains, but the system says there is a connection. The indicator blinks to indicate low.
- In rare cases, charging is performed while the computer is turned off.
If this is the first time the problem occurs, you should make sure that the power supply is connected to the computer and to the outlet. If a surge protector is used, make sure it is working properly. Most blocks are assembled from several parts, so before you start solving the problem, you need to disassemble and reassemble it.
Battery does not charge
A previously healthy battery may stop working if the computer is new. If the laptop battery is connected but does not charge and the power supply is working properly, there are several solutions.
New laptop battery won’t charge. Checking programs
When the diagnostics show little wear, the problem may lie in the running programs. Perhaps some of the previously installed applications running in the background are interfering. It causes the system to go into power saving mode.
To check, you need to open the Manager (CtrlShiftEsc) and find programs that use the processor. Removing unnecessary applications will increase the computer’s self-service time.
Why the battery is NOT charging at all?
Initially, we note that laptops of any brands, including Acer and Asus, may NOT be charged. There are many reasons for the malfunction.
BIOS power management issues
After updating the Windows OS or incorrectly turning off the equipment (for example, a power surge), users may notice that the laptop is not charging from the charger, and a corresponding notification appears in the tray. Trace what exactly caused the failure, it is often impossible, therefore, troubleshoot a universal method. resetting the BIOS settings. ALGorithm of actions (valid for all brands of devices):
- Turn off the laptop;
- Disconnect from the power supply (network);
- Remove the battery;
- Press the “ON” button and hold it for 1 minute;
- Turn on the laptop (without placing the battery in the case)
- Go to BIOS while holding down a function key on the keyboard (Del, F2 or F12. depending on the manufacturer);
- Reset settings through the Exit menu. here you need to select the Load Defaults item (on the main page there may be other options, for example, Load Optimized Defaults or Load Fail-Safe Defaults)
- Save changes on exit;
- Turn off the laptop;
- Install the charger, the power cord to the power supply.
- Turn on the device.
Overheating of the battery
Software or hardware malfunctions may not be a prerequisite for the fact that notebooks from Asus, Acer, HP, etc. are NOT charged from the charger. Elementary overheating due to dirt can be a factor in the malfunction. A large amount of dust, debris, fibers accumulates in the case.
The problem can be solved by an elementary cleaning of the case, and prevented by the correct implementation of the device:
- DO NOT work on a PC on a bed, sofa, pillows, blanket, etc.;
- Cleans the case 1-2 times a year;
- Place the device on a firm and clean surface.
Devices of the budget category are considered very sensitive to dirt and dust. Therefore, if the Lenovo laptop does not charge from the charger, the first step is to check the cleanliness of the case.
Factory defective charger or battery initialization errors
A notification that the unit is not charging may appear on brand new devices as well. Reasons 2. lack of battery and its incorrect initialization. In the first case, only the purchase of new components (exchange and replacement under warranty) will help. It is wiser to entrust the battery malfunction check to a service center representative. In the second case, if the laptop does not charge from an Acer charger or another brand, you need to do this:
- Turn off the device and disconnect from the network;
- Remove the charger (if it is removable, you do not need to untwist the case);
- Hold the ON button for 20-30 seconds;
- Install the battery;
- Connect the device to the network;
- Turn on equipment.
When using HP equipment (new or already in use), it is turning off and on the device that is the most effective way to solve the problem. If after that the laptop battery does not charge, the reason is different, for example, the power supply.
A private method for a removable battery: remove the charge, remove the battery, hold “ON.” 60 seconds, connect the battery, charger, do not turn on the device for 15 minutes. Enable.
A private method without removing the battery: turn on the equipment, remove the charge, click on “ON.” until the laptop shuts down completely and another 60 seconds. Install charging. DO NOT touch equipment for 15 minutes. Enable.
Why the battery is NOT fully charged?
NOT completely. it means that Windows OS cannot issue a notification about 100% battery charging. The number of percentages is unimportant, the main thing is NOT 100. Situation: the charger is connected and working properly, but the battery is recharged only by 2-70%. Consider the reasons.
The laptop does not charge from the charger. the reasons and their elimination
Laptop battery. a battery designed for 2,500-4,500 thousand discharge-charge cycles. With intensive use of technology, serious problems associated with the natural consumption of its resource should begin NOT earlier than in 3-5 years. But this is in ideal working conditions. In 4-6 cases out of 10 with a problem when the laptop battery is NOT charged when it is connected to a power source, the user encounters after 1.5-2 years of equipment operation. How to be in this situation? Replace worn out batteries with a new one? Take your time with the purchase. Our experts have identified and described the main causes of the malfunction, as well as led their remedies.
Faults in the power supply unit (plug, connection cable)
The problem arises during long-term operation of equipment. The situation is as follows: the charger is connected, but not charging on the laptop, and a notification appears in the messages to the user (in the tray). “connected, but not charging” or “Charging not in progress” (for Windows 10). Initially, you should make sure that the cable is correctly connected to the port, the plugs are installed in the outlet. If there are errors in the comments, proceed as follows (valid for ASUS equipment and second-brand devices):
- Turn off the laptop;
- Disconnect the power supply cable;
- Dismantle the battery;
- Install the power supply cable;
- Click “ON” on laptop keyboard.
Factory utilities controlling charge management
These are not all reasons. Battery Will not charge if there is insufficient power, worn circuit components, battery controller or connector. Only a specialist can establish the exact reason. Therefore, if the elementary ways to solve the problem (described above in the text) did not help, it is worth involving a master. Remember: reckless removal of software products and drivers, rollback of updates can lead to data loss.
Description of the problem
It is not uncommon for a laptop to not see it when the battery is in good working order and correctly installed. In such cases, there is a red cross on the corresponding icon located in the taskbar. When you hover the mouse cursor over it, a message appears. “Battery not detected”.
Additional factors indicating a battery malfunction:
- Unit does not store incoming charge.
- Charge indicator light blinking or off.
- The battery is NOT detected by the computer.
- The charge is constantly kept at the same level.
Battery life and battery wear and tear will vary depending on how long your laptop can run without charging. If you do not solve the problem, then you will need to bind the gadget to an electrical outlet.
A SIMilar alignment is possible if you constantly keep the device connected to the mains. Over time, the duration of the computer’s operation from a single charge will decrease. This is due to the negative effect of constant currents on the battery. As a result, the laptop completely loses it from sight.
Removing and Installing Microsoft ACPI Battery Driver
Reinstalling the device driver is another step that can give the desired result and correct a difficult situation. Sequencing:
- SIMultaneously clocks on two keys: Windows and R.
- In the dialog space called “Run”, type. devmgmt.Msc and press enter.
- In the section “Device Manager” next to the column “Batteries” put a plus or a tick.
- The right mouse button denotes “Microsoft ACPI Compliant Battery”, and the left mouse button is “Delete”.
- Confirm the performed manipulations with Ok.
It remains to restart the computer and check the correct functioning of the battery.
Running a diagnostic test
Running the diagnostic program allows you to establish the cause of the malfunction and solve the problem according to the proposed scenario. There are built-in (Imtec Battery Mark) and online tests. To activate the first option, you will need:
- Turn on the laptop and press F12.
- In the menu that appears, select “Diagnostics”.
If the check results are negative, go to the “ePSA Checklist, PSA error codes and troubleshooting steps” section. Further manipulations are coordinated according to the instructions issued there. Upon successful completion of the diagnostics, it is concluded that the original source of the problem is the operating system.
For an online check, you need to download a utility corresponding to a specific brand of computer. So, on HP it is Support Assistant, Dell. Support Assist.
Other types of problems
If none of the suggested actions are effective, it is worth considering a few more options for fixing the malfunction.
- Accumulation of charge residues. suitable for laptops with a removable battery and means clearing the temporary memory from unnecessary information. For which they completely disconnect the PC, including from the network. Remove the battery from the socket, then press the power button and hold for 20-30 seconds. Reinsert the battery and start the computer.
- Replace the battery with a new one. if the icon in the taskbar from the inside is crossed out with a red cross. This designation indicates high wear and tear of the equipment. They do the same when the battery quickly loses its charge and often needs to be recharged.
- They change the wire. when it is damaged or has been in operation for a long time, the slightest movement of it causes interruption of the contact, and charging stops. It’s not about the battery, it’s about the power supply.
These reasons are not so common, but they have a place to be.
BIOS is software that is embedded on the motherboard of your computer. By resetting it to the initial version programmed by the manufacturer, it is sometimes possible to restore the full interaction of the device and the battery. A SIMilar situation develops when the factory settings were changed or a new battery was installed.
This can be done directly through the BIOS, provided that the computer is running on the power adapter.
The following aLGorithm is adhered to:
- Unplug the device and remove the battery.
- Take out rechargers from the network.
- Press the Power button and hold for at least 30 seconds.
- Connect the laptop to an outlet without installing a battery and start.
- Enter BIOS.
The entrance to the BIOS system is carried out by pressing the corresponding button at the time of startup, which differs by device model. mainly F1, F2, F12, Del or Esc. There are hints at the bottom of the menu to pay attention to.
Select Load Defaults or Standart CMOS Features and agree to save the settings when prompted.
The final step will be to turn off the PC, unplug it, insert the battery and turn it on again. Often such SIMple manipulations lead to a positive result.
The main reasons and methods of detection
Why the laptop does not see the battery:
- Technical problems in the battery;
- Incorrect connection;
- OS crash;
- Motherboard problems.
To determine the exact cause, it is recommended to diagnose the mobile device.
The first thing they do is replace the battery with a working one. If it is found, then it’s all about the battery. Otherwise, they are looking for a malfunction in the motherboard.
Since not everyone has a spare battery, there are other options for checking.
Checking adapter functionality
The power adapter must be fully functional for stable charging. Check it in the following way:
- Restart the computer.
- In the first seconds of start-up, press the F2 key and wait until a message appears about the transition to the settings. Entering Setup.
The BIOS modifications check if the power adapter type is correctly set. If the word “comments” is opposite, then they make sure that the device is connected to the PC. When an adapter is assigned an Unknown status, perform a series of system-suggested corrective actions. When properly detected, move on to find the root cause.
To get the battery working on your own, it is recommended to try several methods:
- Reset hardware settings, resets the BIOS;
- Charges the battery without connecting a computer;
- Repair or reinstall the system;
- Run the troubleshooting program;
- Reinstall battery driver.
Running the Microsoft Fix-It Program as a Troubleshooter
The built-in Windows troubleshooter can help resolve the battery issue. Available only for versions 7, 8/8. 1 and 10.
- Press the Windows R key combination on the keyboard.
- In the autogoods dialog box, type the Control command and launch it with Enter.
- In the search bar located in the control panel, enter Trouble shooter and click on “troubleshoot”.
- In the “System and Security” tab, activate the “Power” icon.
Then you need an administrator account to log into Windows. If during startup the prompt “User Account Control” appears, you must accept it.
Checking the power supply
The first step is to check all sections of the power supply between the outlet and the laptop, starting with the first. Then check the power filter from which the laptop is powered for operability, eliminate damage to the power supply (by trying to turn on the computer with the battery removed) and make sure that it is correctly connected to the laptop. By eliminating the most obvious causes of the malfunction, the remaining problems can be assumed.
Incorrect battery operation can also be caused by software. There are two most common cases. third-party charge management software, failure of low-level settings or drivers.
The first is identified by a non-standard power supply icon in the operating system taskbar. A third-party program (Battery Mode, Battery Care, BATExpert and others like them) must be detected and removed from the “Programs and Features” menu, accessible through the “Control Panel”, which, in turn, is called through the “Start” menu.
Low-level software crashes are resolved as follows:
- Turn off the laptop, unplug it and remove the battery.
- Hold the power button for one minute.
- Connect the network adapter and turn on the laptop.
- To boot the operating system, press F10 (esc or F1, and then F10, depending on the laptop model) to open the BIOS.
- Find the item Load Default Settings or Load optimized defaults and apply it. BIOS settings back to factory settings.
- Exit and Save changes.
- Turn off laptop.
- Connect the battery and AC adapter, and turn on the laptop.
If the problem was in the wrong settings, then after THESE manipulations the charging process should work.
Why the connected hp laptop battery is NOT charging and what to do about it?
Every laptop user will sooner or later face a battery malfunction. This breakdown is inevitable due to the nature of the battery. It has a limited number of charge and discharge cycles, therefore, in fact, it is a consumable.
That, however, does NOT exclude the possibility of failure of the actual battery components or other sections of the supply network. In addition to the end of the working life, incorrect charging can be caused by:
- Incorrect operation of the charge controller;
- Damage to system board elements;
- Software failure;
- Problems in the section of the power supply between the outlet and the laptop.
Depending on the nature of the breakdown in a particular case, you should choose a suitable way to solve it. If the battery health is low or the charge controller malfunctions, the best option is to replace it. No special skills are required for replacement (except for models with built-in battery). The main thing is to choose the right block. So that it is fully compatible with the laptop.
A special marking, which includes the designation of the laptop model and the part code, will help to acquire a known suitable model. However, the reason for the unstable operation is not always related to the problems of the battery itself. Consider other options.
The least favorable type of failure is damage (regardless of the cause) to the laptop motherboard. The distribution of electricity in such a complex system corresponds to the mass of elements. here are millimeter resistors in rather complex microcircuits, power controllers.
Connecting a known good battery with minimal wear will help to detect breakdowns. If, after manipulating the software and using the battery properly, the symptoms persist, then most likely the matter is precisely in damage to the power circuits on the board.
It will NOT be possible to fix such a problem without Special skills and tools. The only option is to apply for a professional repair to the appropriate workshop. Wizards will carry out the necessary diagnostics and replace the failed component.
What to do?
In cases of difficulties with the battery after prolonged operation (more than 3 years), in 90% of cases, replacing the battery will help, and not working as a result of severe wear of elements or a malfunction of the controller.
If the battery stops charging suddenly, for example, after updating or reinstalling the operating system, then it makes sense to check the software. In particular, download and install the current version of the chipset driver from the manufacturer’s official website.
And in situations where all the user’s actions do not bring tangible results, it remains only to contact the specialists. You should not neglect the possibility of warranty service (if its term has NOT expired).
We fix physical problems
Inoperative power supply
We described earlier why this element may NOT work. Lee, another important point has not been sorted out. overheating. In this case, the element heats up very much during operation and afterwards, it must be cooled. Also, perhaps the reason is in mechanical stress.
The laptop does not respond when the charger is connected
The charger and battery are designed in such a way that over time, laptop owners have trouble charging their PC. The unit cannot charge and there is no charging indicator on the computer screen. This happens with very frequent use of the device on battery power and when working in sleep mode.
So, consider what needs to be done when the unit cannot turn on.
First you need to determine: is there really a malfunction in the laptop’s power supply. To do this, turn on the laptop and see if it works or not. If, when turned on from the mains, the laptop is working, but there is a battery, then the matter is in the battery. The laptop cannot start at all, even when the power is on. the matter is in the electronics or in the power supply.
Checking the battery
To check the battery status, just download the program. She will also monitor the condition. Here’s a list:
These programs will help to indicate the real capacity.
Mechanical damage to the battery
In order to understand whether the unit has undergone mechanical damage, you need to Pay attention to the sound of its operation. Usually, if damaged, there will be a crackling sound or smell of burnt wire. If so, you should urgently contact the service center!
Laptop is NOT charging
Perhaps the battery is working properly and it is not at all about it.
Although batteries do have their own lifespan, there are situations where the battery cannot be charged and still remains functional. If the device does not turn on at all, then first you need to check:
- Is the charging connector installed in the port from the laptop?
- Check the connector that connects from the outlet to the power supply unit.
When the two steps have been taken, you can start diagnosing the network (outlet). It is quite possible that it is not working. If you find out that the network is working properly, the problem lies elsewhere.
Most often, a power supply unit (rectangular box), that is, charging, may be related to a malfunction. The unit could have burned out from the inside, which means that technical wear or voltage drops occurred.
To check the operation of the computer and the battery, you can use the power supply from a second laptop. But before implementation, you need to check its output power. it should be the same as in the faulty one. If there is no spare power supply, then the service center will help to establish the causes of the malfunctioning state.
Start checking the power supply for functionality if there is a second laptop with the same element. So, you need to pull out its end and insert the block from the first computer to check for operability. If it works, then the problem is with the first PC or its power supply.
If the result is comments from the above actions, then it is important to contact the service center. But, if the problem is in the laptop, then you can try to manipulate it.
Resetting the BIOS
Resetting this feature will fix the problem, not the charging device.
- F2 or Delete. keys on the keyboard to enter BIOS (in some cases, the F10 key).
- Then select the term “Load Setup Defaults” (factory settings). Then, in the window that appears later, you should confirm your intention to reset the settings.
- It remains only to close the BIOS and leave the production settings in effect: select “Exit Saving Changes” (initial line).
In almost all cases, the charging problem is solved if the problem is in the computer itself. Sometimes, a program that monitors charging can interfere. remove it.
The battery is NOT fully charged
Situations in which the battery cannot be fully charged are problems such as deterioration of controllers and chemical elements in the source. Incorrect operation of controllers is also detected by a special program. If this is not the problem, then you need to disable third-party programs for PC control.
How to uninstall programs in Windows7
We also select start and control panel. Then, we select “programs and components”. If the removal of the program monitoring the charging did not help to get rid of the problem, then we are looking for the problem in the power supply.