What are the alternatives?
The real alternative is unlocking the bootloader and flashing the phone to a stable global version, for example, the current MIUI 10 Stable for December.
As the latest experiments from users have shown, the transition from RU to Mi is carried out without any visible problems. Having correctly reflashed through Fastboot using the Mi Flash Tool, you can later block the bootloader back, this will not lead to problems with cyclic downloads and the phone will not become a “brick”. Reverse bootloader lock is important for Xiaomi phones with NFC.
In the future, all updates are available via OTA. You can freely upgrade to the new version by receiving a notification by air.
Miui russia vs global
The Russian firmware has all the advantages and functionality of the global version, but differs significantly from it in terms of the release schedule. Some regional nuances, Russian in localization and in some models Yandex services instead of Google do not count.
For which smartphones is Xiaomi available?
MIUI Russia firmware is available for Xiaomi phones, which are officially sold in Russia from 2020. The first smartphones were Redmi 5 and Redmi 5 Plus.
Full list (updatable):
- Redmi 5. V18.104.22.168.NDARUFD,
- Redmi 5 Plus. V22.214.171.124.NEGRUFD,
- Redmi Note 5. V126.96.36.199.OEIRUFA,
- Redmi S2. V188.8.131.52.OEFRUFA,
- Mi Mix 2s. V184.108.40.206.ODGRUFA,
- Redmi 6. V220.127.116.11.NCGRUFD,
- Redmi 6A. V10.0.6.0.OCBRUFH,
- Mi Max 3. V10.0.2.0.OEDRUFH,
- Mi 8. V10.0.13.0.OEARUFH,
- Pocophone F1. V18.104.22.168.OEJRUFD,
- Redmi Note 6 Pro. OEKRUFH,
- Mi 8 Lite. V22.214.171.124.ODTRUFD,
- Mi 8 Pro. OECRUFH.
37 Xiaomi smartphones can already be upgraded to miui 12 on Android 10. full list and links for download
Most often, residents of the Middle Kingdom and India will be the first to receive the firmware. The lucky ones from South Asia follow them, then the time of the Europeans comes, and at the very end regional firmware appears. Some models have global status. This allows you to get the firmware earlier than others, but not everything is smooth here either. Xiaomi manages to first send out globals to the residents of China, and to everyone else on a leftover basis. It’s not for nothing that now in China dozens of devices already have a stable version of MIUI 12.
Why are we worse? That is great. Today we provide our readers with an excellent opportunity to download the firmware themselves. It is important to understand that it will be in English. Also, Google services may not be there. If this does not scare you, if this is not your first time doing the firmware, follow the link. there you will find the same list as in the image above with working transitions to the MIUI 12 download on Android 10.
P.S. Some lines include two models. If you did not find the download link for the smartphone you need, take a look below (as in the image below), there is a link to the previous version of the MIUI 12 firmware.
Android 10 update information for Xiaomi and redmi smartphones. miui general. Mi community. Xiaomi
It is recommended to upload cover images with 720312 resolution
What is Russian firmware and why is it needed?
Russian MIUI firmware is an artificial firmware developed on the basis of the global one. In fact, it is a regional offshoot of the mainstream software, distributed only among phones officially sold in Russia.
According to the “legend” the release of this version was a requirement for certification and official sale of Xiaomi smartphones in Russia.
[miui 10] how to update firmware to miui 10. miui instructions. Mi community. Xiaomi
If the device was not identified (the characteristic code of the device will appear in the table) press [Refresh]
If, after that, there is no information about the device, then we are looking for a problem. the drivers did not get up or the drivers got up crookedly, we reinstall.
After installing the firmware, TWRP will be overwritten by the native recovery. If you install TWRP after that, then immediately roll Root, otherwise you will get bootloop.
1st STAGE. early July
Mi 6, Mi Mix 2 / 2s, Mi Mix, Mi 5, Mi Note 2, Redmi Note 5 / Pro, Redmi S2.
2nd STAGE. around the middle of July
Mi 5s / 5s Plus, Mi Max / Prime, Mi Max 2, Redmi Note 4 / 4X (Qualcomm), Redmi 4X, Redmi 4A, Redmi 5A, Redmi 5/5 Plus, Redmi Note 5A / Prime.
3rd STAGE. early August (OTA updates)
Mi 3 / Mi 4, Redmi Note 3 Qualcomm, Redmi 3S / 3X.
This is not the final list of devices, it is quite possible that it will be replenished.
Note: As stated in Yaroslav’s theme. MIUI 8.7.12. changelog
Why updates for ru stable take so long
As mentioned above, an important difference between the Russian MIUI firmware is the release date. But at the same time, this is also a big disadvantage. When purchasing a phone, the user cannot see in advance on the box what kind of firmware it costs. And the official Chinese developers mark only the main version, designating it as “Global”. There are no tags “Russia” or “For sale in Russia”.
Hundreds of people from China and India are painstakingly working on the creation of the global version. A whole official division of the Xiaomi corporation. But with the Russian firmware, everything is completely different.
In the first case, these are entire teams of programmers, designers, beta testers. A whole community, living its own life and going through all stages of development, hidden from the eyes of ordinary people. And even this community sometimes does not have enough time and energy to cope with work on time, as there are a lot of phones from Xiaomi.
In the second case, the RU version is invented by only about eight people. Of course, they are officially obliged to provide users with the result no more than a month and a half after the release of MIUI Stable Global. However, the Xiaomi corporation itself and its Chinese leadership does not directly affect the progress of work in the Russian segment and is not responsible. Only in quarterly reports can you find out about real problems from official sources.
All the ways to update Xiaomi to the latest Android version
Unlocking the bootloader is necessary for flashing through TWRP, but it entails a complete formatting of the device. Before carrying out the procedure, make a backup.
There are two ways to unlock: official and unofficial.
- For the official method, you need to go to the unlocking site and apply there to unlock the bootloader. To do this, you need to register on the site, indicate the reason for unlocking in the application and wait for approval. The term of consideration is from three to ten days. After you have been approved for unlocking, you need to download the Mi Flash Unlock program and follow the instructions in it.
- The unofficial method implies the installation of ADB and drivers for the smartphone, you can find them on the official ADB website. After installing the program, we transfer the phone to fastboot mode (volume down and power buttons at the same time) and connect it to the computer. Open the console in the ADB folder by holding down the Shift button and enter “fastboot oem unlock”. That’s it, the bootloader is unlocked, we restart the phone.
Update via Fastboot-mod and MiFlash
This update method is much more complicated than over-the-air firmware, but in reality it is the most correct and safest.
Before any manipulation with the phone, make a backup of the device.
Install Android 10 On ANY Xiaomi Device (IN DEPTH TUTORIAL)
- PC running Windows 7, 8, 10 of any bit, but preferably x64;
- MiFlash program. this utility will allow you to flash your Xiaomi phone;
- downloaded firmware file in “.tgz” format, this is the fastboot version;
- Xiaomi smartphone with Qualcomm processor;
- original (preferably) USB cable.
MiFlash is downloaded from the official website as an installer for Windows. You can download it here. The drivers necessary for the system are also installed with it.
- Install and run MiFlash.
- Unzip the firmware archive into a separate folder (check that there are no Russian characters in the file path).
- Turn off the phone, then hold down the volume down and power buttons.
- The smartphone will start in fastboot mode.
- We connect it to a PC using a USB cable.
- Information about the connected device will appear in the MiFlash window, if this has not happened, click the “refresh” button. If after that the PC does not see the device, try reinstalling the drivers or reconnecting the smartphone.
- Click on the Select button, and select the path to the previously downloaded file.
- At the bottom of the program window, select the flashing mode: “Clean all”. complete cleaning and the most correct installation, “Save user data”. updating the system with saving data, and “Clean all and lock”. completely cleaning and locking the bootloader, after which the smartphone will be shown to the “factory” state.
- Press the “flash” button, the firmware process will begin.
- You can monitor the progress bar in the program itself. Do not disconnect the device from USB while data is being written.
- Upon completion, there will be an inscription “Succes” in the column “Results”.
- Disconnect the phone from the PC and turn it on by long pressing the power button until the logo appears.
The first launch after flashing can take a long time.
Even a non-working device can be reflashed using the Miflash program. The main thing is not to rush and do everything strictly according to the instructions.
Over the Air Update. OTA
New firmware versions are regularly released on Xiaomi smartphones. Usually, in the notification curtain, the device prompts the user to download the update automatically, in other words, using OTA.
OTA. Over The AIr, literal translation “over the air”. The system is updated via the internet, without using a PC or any wires.
In addition to Internet access, a Mi-account must be configured on the smartphone, since notifications of new versions of the MIUI system come through it.
This method does not require any special knowledge and does not take much time.
The battery must be fully charged first. Some smartphone models will not be able to start the automatic update process if the battery charge is below 30 percent, and some require a minimum of 60%. It is best to update the firmware while holding the phone on charge, because if it is discharged in the process, the installation will go wrong.
2. Go to Settings. About phone. System updates. Check. The smartphone will see the update file, if available. You must agree with the installation offer and restart the device.
You cannot use your smartphone while the update is in progress. Upon completion, it will reboot itself into the MIUI system.
Some Xiaomi models may not “pull” the new firmware version due to a weak processor or low Android version.
Trick To Install Android 10 Q. On Any Xiaomi or Other Android Device Without Root or PC
If you have root-rights or custom recovery installed, an over-the-air update is not recommended, it is better to run it manually through the recovery system or Miflash. How to do this, we will figure it out below.
Flashing the phone via TWRP
- First of all, download the firmware you need. Where and how this can be done is indicated above.
- Place the zip file on the memory card.
- Reboot into recovery. turn off the device and simultaneously hold down the power button and volume up.
- Now all partitions need to be cleared except for the SD card. Make a backup first, TWRP provides such a function.
- Press the Wipe button and check the boxes Dalvik Cache, System, Data, Internal Storage, Cache and swipe to confirm. The smartphone will be completely cleaned. For the correct installation of the firmware, this item is required.
- After that, we go back to the recovery menu and go to the Install item.
- Select the firmware file and swipe to the side again.
- The process of updating the system will start. It may not be displayed on the screen in any way, you just need to wait a while and do not touch the phone.
- After the installation is finished, the screen will display “Zip Install Complete”.
- Select “Wipe dalvik cache” and “Reboot system”.
- The device will reboot into the updated system, this will be indicated by three dots on the screen. The first launch takes a long time, do not turn off or restart the phone during this period.
Perform all the above actions at your own peril and risk, preferably after the end of the warranty on the device.
Three point firmware
If your Xiaomi does not see new versions, you can use the three-point update. The process is similar to the previous one, except that you need to find the firmware file yourself.
Download the firmware files only from the official site, as any slightest virus can destroy the system. The exception is custom firmware for experienced users, they can be downloaded from thematic forums.
To update through the official website, we need a phone with Internet access, or a PC and a USB cable for a smartphone.
Find on the official website the most recent version suitable for your phone and download it.
After downloading the file, place it on the Xiaomi memory card in the downloaded_rom folder, you can do this using a USB cable if you downloaded the file from a PC, or by transferring it if you used a phone.
7. Next, you need to go to Settings. About phone. System update.
The update process starts. After its end, the device will automatically reboot into the already updated system.
It is strictly forbidden to migrate from one firmware version to another. That is, if the weekly version is installed on the smartphone, we set the weekly version, if stable. stable. If you select a different version, all files on the phone will be deleted, and the smartphone will return to factory settings.
If a window with an error appears when choosing a firmware, then the versions of the current and the installed system do not match. Also try to transfer the file to the device again, perhaps it was not written correctly.
Updates may not come automatically due to server overload, so users from different cities receive notifications at different times. Otherwise, Xiaomi’s servers will simply “collapse” and no one will be able to update. Therefore, if you have not received a notification about the new version, download it on the official website and install through the “three dots”, there is nothing complicated about it.
With the correct choice of the version, all available information will be saved on the phone, and the flashing process will take no more than half an hour.
Update Android if your phone no longer receives updates
If the phone does not update over the air or does not start at all, you can always use the recovery or recovery mode.
On the standard, pre-installed recovery on Xiaomi, there is no possibility of flashing the system. You will need to install a modified recovery, for example TWRP.
We perform all subsequent actions only after obtaining root rights. If you are not ready to part with the device warranty, this method is not suitable for you.
First you need to install TWRP itself and unlock the bootloader. If you have installed root rights, then the bootloader is already unlocked. If not, we’ll figure out how to unlock it.
How to update Xiaomi to MIUI 10
Xiaomi developers made us happy and released the first public beta versions for almost all devices. But still, many have questions about the method of firmware, as well as whether it is worth doing it at all. In this article we will look at the simplest ways of flashing, as well as share some observations about the work of MIUI 10 8.7.12 in general, using the example of Redmi 5. While writing this article, the first update to 8.7.19 arrived
Flashing Xiaomi smartphone to MIUI 10
And before we start to paint the methods, we will immediately list the caveats:
- Perform all manipulations only with an unlocked bootloader. Only in this case your hands are untied and you can restore the device to work in case of possible errors by installing a previously working version. These include: the firmware version is not correctly selected, the sudden disconnection of the wire during the firmware, and the like. If the bootloader is blocked, then in 99% of cases you will receive a brick. How to unblock the device, as well as how to unlock the Xiaomi bootloader, you can read in this article.
- At the moment, only public versions of MIUI 10 have been released, which are intended for testing. Various bugs, jams, flaws, excessive energy consumption and heating, rapid battery discharge, etc. are possible in them. If you are not ready to sacrifice the comfort of the stable operation of the device in use, then I recommend not to update now, but to wait for the release of the stable version of the firmware.
- On some models of Xiaomi smartphones, rollback to the previous firmware will not be possible. All devices that, with updates, will receive the version of Android 8.1 in the future cannot be rolled back, otherwise they will receive a brick and how to restore the device after that there is no information yet.
- Be sure to create a backup of your data in Mi Cloud so that after installing the new firmware you can quickly restore contacts, settings, installed applications, gallery and more.
And most importantly, if you are not sure of your actions. I have never encountered the firmware of smartphones before and at the same time have not yet decided whether or not you need to install MIUI 10 right now. Then my recommendation is to postpone this venture and wait for a stable version and update over the air.
Well, in general, this is not all, but the most important thing is to know. Now about directly flashing a smartphone to MIUI 10. There are many flashing methods: TWRP, Mi Flash, Mi Flash PRO, XiaomiTool, through three points and others. They differ by the type of firmware on TWRP, Recovery and Fastboot.
The forums recommend flashing using TWRP and Fastboot. But the success of the firmware using TWRP is very dependent on the version of the program, which means that you may need to iterate over the versions until you flash your device. After the first try, it will turn into a brick. The firmware will be installed on any of the versions, but it will start only after installation on the device that supports your device. Fastboot firmware distributed at the moment, not all are installed and I have repeatedly come across that when I try to flash it gives an error.
Therefore, the last and absolutely working way remains. this is the choice of the Recovery firmware! Which has never let me down yet and is very easy to install. And the main thing is that an inappropriate version will not be put into a brazen one, so if you make a mistake, at least you will not spoil anything
MIUI 10 installation methods
The first way. Installation using Mi Flash Pro. In this case, you need to go to the ROM tab, select the model of your Xiaomi device from the list and select the most current firmware. Since 8.7.12, for other models, the last figures may differ, this is a firmware for developers, then we choose it, and not stable, which so far only MIUI 9.
We transfer the phone to Recovery mode. To do this, simultaneously press and hold “Volume” and “Lock”. After rebooting, a menu will appear, use the volume buttons to go down to the “Connect whith MiAssistant” item and press the “Lock / Disable” button to confirm. After that, we connect the USB cable to the computer, which will be graphically displayed on the device screen.
After connecting, go to the Recovery tab and in the field with three dots select the path to the downloaded firmware archive. If you have difficulty determining the path, then go to Downloaded and copy the path from the downloaded firmware, and then paste it into the field. By default, the firmware is downloaded to the “Redmi_X_Global” folder, where X is the model of your device, but you can set your own by going to the Setting program before starting the download.
What is remarkable about this method. If, after selecting the firmware, you press Flash, then no cleaning of the device occurs in most cases. Installation takes place in update mode. Yes, with this method, the firmware becomes 20 minutes, but after rebooting you get your device with completely saved data, you just need to enter the password, if available, and continue using the device, but already on MIUI 10. All your files and settings will be saved. But in some cases, it may go differently, so worry about creating a data backup in Mi Cloud in advance.
Be careful, when rolling back on devices that are not yet banned, the data is also saved. But there is a problem, if you managed to install component updates on MIUI 10, then some of the built-in applications may not start. I have not checked everything, but the gallery does not start 100%. In general, the return should be done either after 3 points, or click “Wipe user data”, because there may be other bugs that are not so noticeable. And in the impudent put it will turn out only 9.5, in my case 9.6.3 with data clearing. If you immediately try to put on top of 8.7.19, then it gives an error related to the version of the android and the bootloader did not give me an update to the developer. But after restoring applications and data from the backup to 9.6.3, updating the components, a miracle happened again and the installation of the recovery went as usual, with which I can’t put my mind to it))) For this it is worth applauding the Xiaomi developers, they know how to make funny notes into the boring life of their firmware testers)))
Second way. Installing the firmware through three points. This method is much simpler and goes much faster, but if in the first the data is saved, then in this case, at startup, the data will have to be cleared. Otherwise, you will not be able to install it.
Download the firmware archive for Recovery from the official forum or Community Xiaomi. (Personally, I download it to a computer and then transfer it to the phone using a cable, so the download is many times faster.) Transfer via a cable to the phone’s memory.
We go Natroyki. About the phone. System update. Click the three dots in the upper right corner and select “Specify Service Pack”. Then we agree to clean the device and wait for the installation to finish.
As you can see, the methods are quite simple and everyone can do it. By the way, when you have unlocked the bootloader, you can without problems through three points and roll back in the same way to the previous version.
Well, now I will share a little my observations about the changes in MIUI 10, it is worth switching to it on a permanent basis.
- The battery has started to drain faster. After the updates arrived from the Play Market, as well as component updates, the battery consumption decreased, but it is still higher than it was on the stable 9.6.3
- It takes longer to launch applications for the first time than before. On the same 9.5 and 9.6.3, the launch was noticeably faster.
- Wi-Fi connections dropped several times. Everything works fine, I took a walk with the mobile internet turned on, and the Wi-Fi connection is no longer happening. Was treated by reboot.
- Not yet finalized fonts in the notification curtain, and in the notifications themselves.
- Occasionally the system freezes and stops responding to gestures, it goes away on its own in a minute.
- Sometimes thoughtfulness is possible when controlling gestures.
With the update to 8.7.19, the battery drain has decreased significantly, there is some thoughtfulness when you first start applications, but otherwise the OS works without bugs. The camera added blur when shooting macro and pretty decent.
As for the rest of MIUI 10’s work on Redmi 5, I did not notice any flaws. Animations are smooth, I did not notice any brakes in messengers and built-in applications, everything works fine.
Of the improvements that arrived with the update. the quality of the photo has been improved. Low-light shots are better and sharper, less noise.
The built-in browser has become much faster and, in my feeling, almost on par with Chrome in terms of page loading speed.
Added a new gesture to quickly return to the previous open application.
The design of security and weather, alarm clock has been significantly changed. Added some new sounds to the system.
These are the most significant and noticeable improvements to date.
But before you update, be sure to think about the fact that this is still a BETA version. And with each new update, not only improvements and fixes may arrive, but also new errors and bugs.
Automatic update over the air
The main advantage of this method is saving files in the gadget’s memory. The method is called OTA, derived from the English Over The Air. You can use it if you have a Mi-account. You can find out if an update is available by doing the following:
- Go to the “Settings” of your smartphone;
- Open the tab “About phone”. “System updates”. “Check now”;
- Wait for a while until the system finishes searching for software.
If so, a window will appear prompting you to download the software package. After the installation is complete, an automatic reboot will be performed. All innovations will become available immediately, so you don’t need to do anything else.
- ease of use;
- no need to connect the device to a PC;
- instant detection of available versions.
Minus two. a mandatory reset to factory settings in the presence of root rights, the inability to use on unofficial firmware.
How to update Xiaomi: All the ways
There are several methods for updating to the current version of the system.
What versions support the update at the moment
The list of smartphones that can be updated to the latest version consists of fifty models. These include devices that went on sale this year; devices from Mi8 Lite to Mi 9T Pro; Mi Mix 2s, 3; Mi Max 3; Pocophone F1; Redmi Note 9S and 8 Pro. Earlier Redmi Note series Android 10 can only be downloaded by Closed Beta users.
By the time the 11th version of the OS is released, the owners of the above gadgets will also be able to update. The company promises to provide an upgrade option for Poco X2, its Pro version by the end of the year; Redmi Note 8 and 8T.
Tips before updating Android
It is not recommended to turn off the gadget during the installation of the service pack. it can lead to loss of performance. To avoid this, you should charge the device battery to at least 50%. Downloading a new version requires the device to be in data transfer mode for a long time, which reduces battery life. We also recommend making a backup through Google services. To do this, you have to follow the steps:
- Open “Settings”;
- Go to the “Restore and reset” tab;
- Enable the “Data Backup” function by setting the slider to “On”.
MIUI also has a backup function, with which you can create local and cloud copies.
Connection speed directly affects the amount of time it takes to install. To make the process go faster, you need to connect to a 4G network. file transfer over it is better than over 2G and 3G. By default, downloading is supported only via Wi-Fi in order to protect against unintentional traffic loss, which is especially important when you are in roaming or have an Omega-byte tariff. If you need to enable updating via a cellular operator, you need to change the settings in your phone. To do this, follow the steps:
- Open the settings section, go to the “About phone” tab, then to the “System update” section;
- Click on the disclosure button of the drop-down menu (dots in the upper right corner);
- In the list, select “Settings”, remove the checkbox from the item “Update via Wi-Fi only”.
Due to circumstances beyond the control of users, one part of the clients can download updates, and the other cannot. It is recommended to wait until the appropriate opportunity appears or try the following:
- Change location to Singapore (“Settings”. “System and device”. “Advanced”. “Region”);
- In the “Advanced”. “For Developers” section, enable MIUI optimization by clicking on the version name 5 times in the “About phone” tab.
How to update Android on Xiaomi
For 10 years of its existence, Xiaomi has managed to break into the electronics and household appliances market, presenting the world with devices of different directions: from floor scales to electric scooters. The company ranks third in the global ranking in terms of smartphone production. Her gadgets use the Android operating system, developed by experts from Google.
The brand’s products are not inherent in the problems of planned obsolescence. the manufacturer keeps up with the times and puts official releases in a timely manner, which can be installed using several methods. For security reasons, it is recommended not to postpone incoming updates. In addition to improving data protection, new versions bring with them improvements in graphical shells, changes in soundtrack, fresh functionality.
Flashing via Recovery
During the installation of the new firmware, the old data will be deleted, so be sure to backup using one of the methods described in the article. As part of the process, you will also need to download the software package from the official brand website to your computer or smartphone. For quick navigation, do not move the archive to any folder. the option with placement in the root directory is optimal. Next, you need to perform several step-by-step actions:
- Turn off the device, wait for the vibration signal;
- Turn on the gadget by simultaneously pressing the power button and increasing the volume;
- Do not release the keys for 8-10 seconds;
- Select the interface language, select “Install update.zip to System”, on the next tab, read the risk warning and click on the “Yes” button;
- Wait until the progress bar is filled, exit the mode by clicking on “Reset”.
There is an alternative method of transition: in the settings section “About phone” in the item “System update” you need to open the menu and click on the “Restart to Recovery mode” button, and then confirm your actions.
Flashing via Fastboot
This flashing method assumes the use of the MiFlash computer program available for Windows. Unlike the previous method, where if the instructions are followed, data will be lost, the recovery of which is possible thanks to backup, here the files remain when they are in the “Save all user data” mode. Technical limitations in the operation of the application require unpacking it and the firmware archive into folders that do not contain any characters, except for the Latin alphabet and numbers.
The procedure is, in principle, not complicated:
- The first step is to specify the path by pressing the “Select” button to select the firmware file;
- Next, we indicate the path to the firmware file that you downloaded from the official Xiaomi website;
- Now click Refresh. If there are no errors, information about the firmware and progress will appear in the cells of the table. Take a look at the screenshots below for how it should look;
- In the bottom line, you need to select the item to save user information. Clean all. firmware with complete deletion of information, save user data. firmware with saving user data, but correct operation of the software is not guaranteed, clean all and lock. full reset to factory settings;
- Next, you need to switch the smartphone to Fastboot mode by holding down the volume down and power off buttons;
- The screen will display an image of a hare in an earflap and the corresponding inscription. It remains only to connect the gadget by wire and click on “Flash”, and then wait for the end of the process. During the firmware, it is important not to allow the cable to be disconnected, exit from Fastboot.
The first launch after the firmware will be long. this is due to the performance of one-time work to optimize the file system of the gadget and the implementation of the initial configuration. All that remains for you is just to wait for the end of the procedure.
Manual update. “three points” method
The method of making an update through the “three dots” was named in Honor of the menu expansion button. Using this method involves downloading the latest firmware from the manufacturer’s website on your own. Before that, you need to figure out which type is installed. There are four types: global, European, Russian, Chinese. You won’t be able to upgrade from, for example, the Russian version to the global one, so you should follow these steps to understand which version of the firmware you have installed on your phone:
- Open the “About phone” tab in the “Settings” section;
- In the line “MIUI version” pay attention to the text part, which usually consists of 7 characters;
- Check the fourth and fifth letters (Mi. worldwide, RU. Russian, EU. European, CN. Chinese or custom Vietnamese).
With this information, you need to go to the Xiaomi website, from where you can download the compatible firmware to your PC or the internal storage of the device. If you don’t know where exactly, follow these steps:
- Go to the website https://ru.miui.com;
- In the top menu, click the “Firmware” item;
- You will be redirected to a page with all the firmware for different devices;
- In the firmware section, select your phone model and click Submit;
- You will be redirected to a page where different firmware will be posted;
- Select your version and click Download;
- As soon as the file is downloaded, then you will need to drop it onto your phone.
Next, you have to perform the following steps to update the phone through the firmware:
- On your smartphone, open “Settings”, then go to the “About System” tab, at the bottom of the screen, click on “System Update”;
- In the application, press the number “10” several times to display the item “Select firmware file” in the menu opened by the button with the image of three dots;
- In the drop-down list, select the appropriate item, specify the path to the file (when using an external media, you must first connect the phone to it);
- In the window that appears, click “Restart and Update“.
Attention! If you cannot go to step 4 due to an error, you need to check the integrity of the downloaded archive and find out if it is suitable for a specific device. If the problem persists, it makes sense to contact the official Xiaomi forum or thematic forums, where the Russian-speaking community also predominates. Also, if problems arise, you can leave your comment under this material, and we will help you solve the problem as soon as possible.
An unofficial method for installing custom firmware is based on using the Recovery utility, which is installed into the smartphone’s memory. Then the user downloads the version of the software they like. The program recognizes files like update.zip, so the user renames the archive with the files. After launching the utility, you must select the Recovery mode and specify the procedure for Install update.zip to System One. After the file transfer is completed correctly, a request is made to restart the smartphone.
The second method is based on Fastboot mode, which is activated on Xiaomi products by simultaneously pressing the power activation and volume down buttons. Key manipulation is performed after the phone is powered off; Before installing the firmware, you need to download and install the MiFlash utility. The firmware files are unpacked into a separate folder, the link to the distribution kit is indicated in the MiFlash program window. After pressing the Flash key, the reprogramming of the smartphone begins, which does not require user intervention.
The methods allow you to install new firmware on Mi5S phones and other smartphones from Xiaomi. Informal techniques require the release of the bootloader lock, which protects the operating system kernel. Devices manufactured before the fall of 2015 had an unlocked bootloader, but with subsequent updates, an automatic lock occurred. Removal of protection is made through the filing of an official request. After reprogramming, it is recommended to restore the lock, which increases the safety of the Xiaomi smartphone.
How to update
The manufacturer provides for an official software update. Smartphones receive a notification over the Internet, then the user accepts the offer or saves the base operating system. The design of smartphones allows unofficial update methods, allowing you to install modified skins that differ in appearance and a list of features.
When updating, keep in mind that the manufacturer does not intend to use improved versions of the operating system on some models. For example, on Xiaomi Redmi Note 4, it is impossible to install Android higher than version 7.0. The user can add additional functions by installing third-party firmware (custom software products). It should also be borne in mind that installing a new modification of the Miui utility does not mean automatic installation of a fresh version of the Android shell.
To check for a new software version in a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X or Xiaomi Mi 5S smartphone, you need to activate the menu, and then go to the product settings section. There is a separate paragraph in the menu that allows you to update the components. If the smartphone finds an available version of the program, then a number on a red background is included in front of the section name. After entering the section, the user selects the desired version of the program, indicates the location of the file on the drive, and then presses the start button.
The firmware distribution kit is pre-downloaded from the technical support section of the smartphone manufacturer’s website. When selecting, you need to specify the phone model, then a list of firmwares will be displayed on the screen, which indicates the version of the base Android system and the modification of the Miui shell. To save a file to a drive or hard drive, you need to click on the download start button.
The size of the distribution is 1.5-2 GB, the download time is 30-200 minutes (depending on the bandwidth of the communication channel). When downloading, you should select the global firmware. Developer version is used by program developers and testers.
The manufacturer has provided the ability to automatically install new software versions. In the update settings menu, select the item that allows automatic download and installation of files. The transfer of program components via a Wi-Fi communication channel or a combined method (via Wi-Fi and a wireless 4G Internet connection) is provided. The user can block the download by checking the box opposite the “do not update” parameter.
To install Android 7 on a Xiaomi Redmi 3 or 3S smartphone, you will need to follow these steps:
- Go to the technical support section on the manufacturer’s website, and then find the model of the smartphone that you want to update in the list of equipment.
- In the window that opens with available firmware versions, a global modification is selected (denoted by Global Stable).
- The distribution kit is downloaded to the phone’s storage. If the user used a computer, then the files are transferred to the smartphone using a memory card or via a connecting cord.
- Go to the phone settings menu, and then go to the section containing information about the equipment.
- Press the update start button. a field with 3 dots will appear in the upper right corner of the display. Press on the touch panel of the screen located near the dots.
- An additional dialog box indicates the path to the firmware distribution.
- After checking the integrity of the files, a button appears on the display to start the installation process.
- Wait for the completion of the procedure, which lasts from 5 to 10 minutes. During the update, the smartphone may reboot itself several times.
Android update on Xiaomi smartphones
Xiaomi mobile phones are based on the Android system, supplemented by the proprietary Miui utility. As the upgraded versions of the operating system are released, the user is faced with the need to update Android on Xiaomi. The use of new versions of Android expands the functionality of the smartphone and fixes operational problems, but before updating, you must make sure that the phone and the software product are compatible.
Which models can be upgraded to Android 10
The manufacturer announced the possibility of installing the Android 10Q operating system on smartphones of the Mi 8 series (standard modification and versions Pro, SE, EE and Lite). Owners of the Max 3 or Mix 2S and 3 equipment will also be able to take advantage of the new product from Google. The possibility of upgrading the operating system version is retained in products A2 (standard model and modification Lite) and A1. The rest of Xiaomi smartphones do not support the installation of the Android 10Q program.