How to turn off your laptop if it freezes?
It happens that during operation, the system suddenly stops responding. This could be due to a hang of a particular program or Windows itself. In this case, you need to try to turn off the laptop using the CtrlAltDelete combination. This will open a menu with a choice of actions. If the program freezes, then you need to select the task manager and exit it. Then switch off in the usual way. If you need to immediately turn off the laptop, then you should select the already familiar “Shutdown” button.
When the system hangs tight and does NOT react even to the above-described key combination, shutdown is possible only in one way, hard. To do this, you need to hold down the power key for a few seconds and the laptop will turn off.
Lesser known ways to shut down your laptop
Windows developers have worked hard to provide users with many options for how to turn off a laptop.
Briefly about those methods that are unknown to many computer scientists:
- Shutdown with AltF4 keys. When you press this combination, a system update window will appear with a suggestion to shutdown.
- Shutdown through the command period, which opens by pressing the WinR keys. In the window that appears, write the shutdown / s command.
- Shutdown using the additional “Start” menu, which can be called by pressing the WinX keys. Further, as in the standard method, it remains to select the desired items.
- Shutdown laptop on schedule. The method is quite simple and it will NOT be difficult even for a beginner to understand it. In order for the laptop to turn off every day at the same time (for example, at 00:00), you must call the command period (WinR) and enter the following command:
Schtasks.Exe / Create / RL Highest / TN Shutdown / SC Daily / ST 23: 57 / TR “% WINDIR% \ system32 \ shutdown.Exe / s / t 180 / c.
Here, 180 indicates the seconds before shutdown. In this case, 3 minutes (180 seconds) is set.
To stop the schedule, the following phrase is entered in the command term: shutdown / a. This command cancels the shutdown schedule.
- Shutdown laptop through a shortcut. Every user knows what it is and how to create it. The shortcut can be placed in a convenient place and when you double-click on it, the gadget will turn off. In the command term, you need to enter shutdown / s / t0, where 0 is the time to shutdown, which you can set at your discretion.
How to turn off a laptop. The easy way
Any computer user is undoubtedly aware of basic things like shutting down. Shutting down your laptop is no different than shutting down your computer. To do this, just click the “Start” button in the left corner of the screen and select “Shutdown”.
On Windows XP and Windows 7 operating systems, this process is the same:
- First, you need to close all programs and windows, and also turn off USB devices such as speakers, scanners, printers, etc. Free the floppy drive and remove flash drives.
- After that, you can call the “Start” button and click “Shutdown”.
- After the screen turns off and the laptop stops making noise, you can close the lid.
How to turn off a laptop. Everyone should know!
Not all Laptop owners know how to properly turn off the device. Many of them believe that it is enough to close the lid. But this is not the case! This article will discuss how to shutdown a laptop by any operating system and under different circumstances.
But not everyone knows that after closing the lid, the laptop will go into standby mode. But in order to completely disable it, this is not enough. It is important to save information and NOT lose the work process, and for this you need to know how to turn off your laptop correctly. Even a child can figure it out.
How to turn off a laptop in Windows 8. Several ways
So with Windows 7, everything is crystal clear. But many users of laptops with new operating systems are confused, because the familiar to everyone “Start” button is simply missing in place. And the system interface is significantly different from previous versions.
There are about a dozen different ways to turn off your laptop in Windows 8.1. The simplest of them is to open a hidden panel. Move the mouse cursor to the right side of the monitor. Then select “Shutdown” and “Shutdown”. You should know that this panel is also opened by pressing the WinI keys. This method is standard and may seem boring for advanced users.
Another method. This shutdown is through the lock screen. This is necessary when the user started the laptop and realized that he was not going to work on it at the moment. There is nothing difficult in this shutdown method, since it is identical to the previous one. Press the shutdown button and select the desired action. The lock screen can be called by pressing on the WinL keyboard.
Shutting down the laptop with the latest OS
Today, the newest operating system is Windows 10. And most users have already switched to using it. There are no special ways to turn off a laptop on Windows 10. To do this, just use one of the methods described in this article.
How to properly shut down your laptop
The surest way to turn off a laptop is to shut it down by means of the operating system. To do this, if you have Windows installed, go to the start menu and select “Shut down the system” in the lower right corner. For OS versions lower than Vista, after clicking this button, a dialog box will appear to confirm the shutdown.
I would also like to Dispel the myth that shutting down the laptop with the power button is dangerous for it. There are simply two options for turning it off using the power button:
- Normal shutdown mode
- Emergency shutdown
In the first case, when you press the power button, the computer will begin a standard shutdown process, the same as pressing the System Shutdown button in the Start menu. This mode is triggered by a short press of the power button. But also with a short press, you can put the computer into sleep or hibernation mode, it depends on the additional power settings in your operating system. Select the mode that will be triggered by a short press of the button in the “Control Panel” will go to the “Power supply” section and Selecting in the upper left corner item “Actions of the power buttons”. In the window that appears, you can configure the OS reaction to pressing the power and sleep buttons (if any).
In the second case, you need to hold the power button for about 8 seconds, after which the laptop will be turned off without first shutting down. This mode is more dangerous, as there is a possibility of damage to the hard disk and all non-Saved data is lost. It should only be used if the laptop is frozen and does NOT respond to all other attempts to turn it off for about 10 minutes. Now we know how to turn off a frozen laptop that has a hardware “Reset” button.
Also in the power settings, you can configure the shutdown of the laptop by closing its lid. In this case, the shutdown will occur after you lower the display lid. But I would NOT recommend such settings. As you can accidentally close the laptop, or your child can. It is much better to set a sleep mode for this action.
How to turn off your laptop?
Modern computer. This is a very complex device, on the correct operation of which many aspects of our life depend. The basis for the reliable and stable functioning of a computer is a good operation of the power supply unit and a stable voltage in the network. When it jumps, I can often have various problems with the computer, hard disk malfunctions, or even motherboard malfunctions.
The very first PCs could be turned off by simply unplugging the power cord, and they were not in any danger. But modern computers will NOT tolerate such treatment, and in the best case, after booting, you will be prompted to check the disk for errors. I don’t even want to think about the worst outcome of events.
The procedure for shutting down a personal computer is not quite complicated, just select “Shutdown” in the main menu of your operating system, and it will be turned off. But there are some differences in shutting down laptops and stationary PCs. And so, let’s try to find the answer to our questions about how to turn off the laptop.
Is there a need to completely disconnect the laptop
You will not find a definite answer to this question. Some advise turning it off every time it is not in use, while others, on the contrary, insist that it would be better to work 24/7. So it’s up to you to decide if you need to turn off your laptop. But, my advice to you is this: no one canceled the maximum operating hours for any electronic elements, so it’s better to turn it off if you are not going to use it for at least an hour. For other cases, standby or sleep is suitable.
Of course, you do not have to turn off the laptop, but then most likely in a few years your hard drive or display backlight will fail. In order to save the resources of the display, you can set the time-out for turning it off in the same power supply settings or turn it off with a special button. If you do not know how to turn off the screen manually on a laptop, look in the instructions attached to it for a description of the function buttons, most likely the manufacturer brought this function to the keyboard.
How to unlock a Windows laptop if you forgot your password
Modern Windows security tools help to protect personal data stored on a personal computer or laptop from unwanted users. However, how can the owner of the computer unlock the laptop if he has forgotten his password from the account? As a last resort, you can always reinstall the operating system, but there are simpler ways to recover or crack a lost password. This login is much faster, since it does NOT require reinstalling Windows and setting up numerous software.
- Entering Safe Mode
- How to remove a user password in an administrator account
- Admin command line
- Ophcrack utility
This article discusses two easy ways to recover your password and unlock your Windows system. The first one uses the login in safe mode on behalf of the administrator using the BIOS, after which the current password of the specified user is changed.
The second method is carried out using specialized account hacking software.
Admin command line
Similar actions can be done a little faster if you are not afraid of the lack of a graphical interface. The console launched on the administrator account can help with this. You need to do the following:
- By simultaneously pressing the Win R keys (in the Russian layout this is the letter “K”) call the “Run” dialog.
- Enter “cmd” in the blank text box and press Enter.
- In the console that opens on behalf of the administrator, you need to write “net user account_name new_password” without quotes and press Enter.
The data will be changed, after which you can restart the laptop and log into the operating system.
Entering Safe Mode
If you want to perform this operation, you need to do the following:
- Turn on the personal computer (or restart the laptop if it is on).
- Wait for a short beep of the BIOS (single high beep).
- Start pressing the F8 key. In general, it is enough to press it once at a certain right moment, but it will be much safer to play it safe. No extra clicks can happen.
- A screen with a list of available Windows startup modes should load before you. If the computer just started to boot the system, as usual, it means that you did something wrong. In this case it is necessary to repeat steps 1-3.
- You need to enter “safe mode”. You can also use command line mode if you are comfortable working with it. Select the required one using the arrows and press Enter.
- Wait for the computer to boot the system, after which you will need to log in with an administrator account. It has a password by default. If you or other users have changed the computer configuration, you will not be able to log in in this way.
- Click “Ok” in the window that welcomes you to diagnostic mode.
How to remove a user password in an administrator account
In diagnostic mode, you can work on a laptop, almost like in a regular OS. However, many familiar functions will NOT be here. The first thing that catches your eye is the lack of a driver for a graphics adapter. Here the user can delete the password, which he forgot, as an administrator. To do this, you need to do the following:
- Launch the Start menu using the appropriate checkbox button on the left side of the Quick Access Toolbar or by pressing the Windows key.
- Open “Control Panel”.
- Go to the “User Accounts” category.
- In the list provided, find the account the user needs, the password for which he forgot.
- On the left side of the window there is a list of available functions. You must select the item “Change password”.
- New information must be entered twice. If you want to remove the password, you must leave both fields empty.
- Then you need to click on the “Save” button.
- Restart your laptop or computer.
This software is designed to crack lost passwords. With it, you can easily unblock access to the system. Ophcrack can be run on a variety of platforms or as a LiveCD. This can be useful if you only have one account that you cannot log into at the moment.
You can download the utility by following the link http://ophcrack.Sourceforge.Net/. This is the official site of the program developer. Choose regular version or LiveCD.
The LiveCD image must be installed on a bootable USB flash drive (for example, using the UltraISO utility). After that, you need to restart your computer, go into BIOS settings and select boot from a USB flash drive.
On the main screen, users will be able to choose between Graphic Mode and Text mode.
Text mode is faster and more stable than graphic mode, so it is best to work with it. Go to it download a little while the program will try to find the lost password. After that, you can log into Windows and remove it in the settings.
Utilities for working with Wi-Fi. Driver check
If these methods did NOT work, the installation of the necessary drivers is checked. The problem is solved in two ways:
- Driver self check.
- Lenovo Official Site.
Win R is pressed, devmgmt.Msc is inserted into the window. The Device Manager opens, then select the underlined term in the “network adapters” and click on it with the RMB. Click “update drivers”, then they will call “update automatically”, wait until the computer checks the drivers itself. Then reload it.
Drivers for the adapter for a laptop are freely downloaded from the Lenovo website:
- Find Lenovo site. Site address https://support.Lenovo.com/kr/ru/;
- Go to the “Downloads” item on the site;
- In the item “Drivers” find the driver file, the name contains Wireless or Wi-Fi and which corresponds to the laptop OS;
- Upload the file and run;
- Install the driver according to the instructions.
Launching Wi-Fi on the motherboard
If everything is fine with the network adapter, but Wi-Fi does not appear, you need to check the possibility of disconnecting the adapter antennas from the motherboard. During assembly, they might not be connected or they were disconnected during transportation. Then the Internet does NOT start on a laptop when it is distributed through a router. Remove the bottom cover and see if the antenna wires are connected to the motherboard.
Quick Wi-Fi setup on Lenovo laptops and all-in-ones
Steps to quickly set up Wi-Fi:
- Make sure that airplane mode is inactive in Settings.
- View in Settings. Network and Internet Wi-Fi. enable.
- Diagnose problems.
- Check adapter connection.
Important! All pre-installed Windows operating systems, regardless of version, have a network management utility from Lenovo. The program is named Wireless or Wi-Fi. Here you can change the current position of the adapter. The program is on the Start menu or All Programs menu. The utility shortcut can be located in the Windows Control Panel.
To activate, you need to connect the router to the network and connect a network Internet cable to it.
Next, it is checked whether the computer “sees” the router. To do this, LMB needs to be named according to the connection icon located in the taskbar, usually between the battery charge icons and the keyboard language. A window will open in which the network connected to the laptop will be visible, and if the message “connected, protected” appears, then the module is connected. If the message “connect” appears, then the user will need to enter the network security key.
When the router is connected for the first time, the network name (SSID) and password are entered, which is written directly on the router (at the bottom of it).
Important! In the future, it is recommended to change the password with your own, so that no one can pick up the key to the user’s Wi-Fi.
Wi-Fi activation by monitor cover
There is a method how to turn on Wi-Fi on some Lenovo models using a simple operation with its cover. You just need to close the laptop for a while and then open it. During this time, the adapter will restart and will look for a connection to connect.
But before this process, you must turn off the sleep mode or shutdown by closing the lid in the system energy saving adjustment.
Wi-Fi power keys
There is another way to enable Wi-Fi as on Lenovo laptops. Lenovo made a specific keyboard shortcut. These are the Fn and F5 keys. It also has an antenna icon. Fn is pressed first, then the button with Wi-Fi is pressed.
To see if the module is working in the laptop, press the Windows key, enter System Windows, then. Control Panel, then. “Network and Sharing Center”. “Changes to adapter settings”, the Network connections will become visible. If a red cross is visible on the wireless connection, you need to press the PCM wirelessly, first by selecting “Enable” or “Diagnostics”.
Lenovo Energy Management
If the wireless Internet keys do not respond to the laptop, the user can select the Lenovo Energy Management program on the Lenovo website. Program link: https://support.Lenovo.com/kr/ru/search?Query=Lenovo%20Energy%20ManagementSearchType=Customer%20searchsearchLocation=Homepage.
Note! The utility activates the buttons to launch Wi-Fi. If the installation is done correctly, a message will appear on the screen where you can select “Enable” or “Disable” the wireless connection. The main advantage of this program is that later it will independently join the network.