Setting a password for a local account
If your system uses a local Windows 10 account, but it does not have a password (for example, you did not set it when installing the system, or it was not when upgrading from a previous OS version), you can set a password for the user in several simple ways.
Setting an account password using the command line
There is another way to set a password for your local Windows 10 account. using the command prompt. For this
- Run the command line as administrator (use the right click on the “Start” button and select the desired menu item).
- At the command prompt, type net users and press Enter. You will see a list of active and inactive users. Pay attention to the name of the user for whom the password will be set.
- Enter the command Where username is the value from item 2, and password is the desired password to log into Windows 10) and press Enter.
Done, just like in the previous method, it is enough to lock the system or log out of Windows 10 so that you are prompted for a password.
How to enable Windows 10 password if its request has been disabled
In cases where you are using a Microsoft account, or when using a local account, it already has a password, but it is not prompted for, it can be assumed that the password prompt when logging into Windows 10 has been disabled in the settings.
To turn it back on, follow these steps:
- Press WinR keys on your keyboard, type control userpasswords2 and press Enter.
- In the User Account Control window, select your user and check the box “Require username and password” and click “OK”. You will also need to enter your current password to confirm. Attention: a separate instruction on what to do if there is no item Require username and password to be entered.
- Additionally, if you have disabled the password prompt when you wake up from sleep and you want to enable it, go to Settings. Accounts. Login options and on the right, in the “Required login” section, select “When the computer wakes up from sleep mode”.
Additionally, pay attention to the following nuance: the latest versions of Windows 10, during installation and updating, may prompt you to set a PIN and use it to log in instead of a password. This is where the instruction How to remove the Windows 10 PIN may come in handy.
Adding an account password in Settings
- Go to Start. Settings (gear icon on the left side of the start menu).
- Select “Accounts” and then. “Login Options”.
- In the “Password” section, if it is absent, you will see a message stating that “Your account does not have a password” (if this is not specified, but it is proposed to change the password, then the next section of this instruction will suit you).
- Click “Add”, enter a new password, repeat it and enter a password hint that you understand, but cannot help outsiders. And click “Next”.
After that, the password will be set and will be requested the next time you log into Windows 10, exit the system from sleep, or lock the computer, which can be done with the WinL keys (where Win is the key with the OS logo on the keyboard), or through the Start menu. click by the user icon on the left. “Block”.
A quick way to put a password to log into Windows 10
If you are using a local account and have not yet set a password for it, you can use the following simple method to set it up in the latest versions of Windows 10:
- Press CtrlAltDelete keys
- In the menu that appears, select “Change password”
- In the next window, do not fill in the “Old password” field (if it is not there), but set a new password and confirm it.
- Click the arrow to the right of the password confirmation field.
Done, now the login password for your user will be set.
How to set a password on Windows 10
In this instruction, step by step on how to set a password on Windows 10 so that it is requested when you turn on (log in), wake up from sleep, or lock. By default, when installing Windows 10, the user is asked for a password, which is subsequently used to log in. Also, a password is required when using a Microsoft account. However, for a local account, you can leave it blank (leave blank), and for a Microsoft account, disable the password prompt when logging into Windows 10 or set a PIN instead of a password (however, this can also be done when using a local account).
Next, we will consider various options for the situation and ways to set a password for entering Windows 10 (using the system) in each of them. You can also set a password in the BIOS or UEFI (it will be prompted before logging in) or install BitLocker encryption on the system drive with the OS (which will also make it impossible to turn on the system without knowing the password). These two methods are more complicated, but when using them (especially in the second case), an outsider will not be able to reset Windows 10 password.
Important note: if your Windows 10 account uses an account named “Administrator” (not only with administrator rights, but with this name), which does not have a password (and sometimes you see a message that some application does not can be launched using the built-in administrator account), then the correct course of action in your case would be: Create a new Windows 10 user and give him administrator rights, transfer important data from system folders (desktop, documents, etc.) to the folders of the new user, and then disable the built-in account, which was written about in the material Windows 10 Built-in Administrator Account.
Distribution of new, sometimes interesting and useful materials from the remontka.pro website. No ads and free computer help for subscribers from the author. Other subscription methods (VK, Odnoklassniki, Telegram., YouTube, Yandex.Dzen)
Hello Dmitry! If you put on 10 ki os linux that will turn on 10 ka or linux
Hello. If everything is installed correctly, a menu for selecting the bootable OS will appear.
Maybe not, but all the same. Installed Vin 10 from scratch and updated to the latest version. In the beginning there was a local account, then I switched to the Maykrosov one (for synchronization, etc.), now I switch back to the local one, everything is as it should be (old password, new) after rebooting I go with a local account, but after the next PC startup, I need to password of the Maykrosov account and, accordingly, I go under it. How do I always have a local account? Previously, I also switched from one account to another, but no problem! In general, it does not matter under which account to work, but I want to know this is a bug or I am doing something wrong?
Replied to your same comment in the article about “how to delete a Microsoft account”.
Good day! Disabled the password when entering Windows 10. After rebooting, a black screen with a mouse cursor appeared. What to do?
Hello. It is unlikely that the matter is that you disabled the password request (it should not have such an effect). So I don’t know. first try to wait, then, if you don’t wait, turn it off (for example, by holding the power button for a long time) and turn it on again.
As a last resort, you can use restore points from safe mode.
Previously (in win7), a password request appeared when the monitor woke up, it was possible to leave for 10 minutes without putting the computer to sleep. In Win10, you can only require a password after the computer has slept. Maybe there is an option to ask for a password when the monitor wakes up?
Securing Windows 7 Login
If you are a fan of an earlier version of the system, then you will not have any problems installing protection either. The procedure is almost the same as described for version 10. The main differences are the path to the accounts menu and the sequence of further work with them.
Step-by-step recommendation on how to set a password on Windows 7:
- Open the start menu “Start”, then click on “Control Panel”
- In the computer settings window go to “User Accounts”
- Then click “Create your account password”
- In the upper fields of the next window, you need to enter the code and repeat it. Those who are afraid to forget the entered combination can add a reminder in the line for the hint. However, you need to understand that such a hint will be visible to all other users.
- Press the button “Create password”
Done. It remains only to reboot the PC to activate the new protection.
How to put a password on a computer or laptop for Windows 10, 7
and more information is stored electronically on computers, laptops, personal gadgets. It is already difficult to imagine a mountain of paper documents or video recording on external media. everything is stored on a PC. At the same time, important data needs reliable protection. For example, it is often required to secure working documents from strangers, to protect it in case of loss or theft of a laptop. Or perhaps you need to prevent family members, especially children, from having access to personal data.
There is an easy way to save personal materials. to organize a secure login to the OS. First of all, the user needs to figure out how to put a password on a PC. And you need to perform just a few simple steps:
- Login to user accounts using the start menu
- Select the option to create a password
- Enter the selected cipher and confirm it
It’s simple, but for each operating system, this path is slightly modified. Let’s take a closer look at how to set up protection for Windows 7 and 10. Let’s talk about the rules for creating a reliable cipher, as well as ways to change the code.
How to secure data on a PC, laptop
The easiest way to protect your information is to put a password on your account when you start Windows. You can create several records for each user if someone else uses the computer besides you. In this case, the third party will not have access to your data. Or create a “Guest” account with limited access to information.
how to set the password “width =” 723 “height =” 506 “srcset =” https://blog.comfy.ua/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Foto-2-5-400×280.jpg 400w, https: //blog.comfy.ua/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Foto-2-5.jpg 768w “sizes =” (max-width: 723px) 100vw, 723px “/
Remember, the more unique the cipher you choose, the harder it is to break. Do not set a simple code like 1234. Do not use your date of birth, the birthday of your relatives or loved ones as a combination. These passwords are easy to crack. Better to choose an association that is familiar only to you.
The cipher will be more reliable if it consists of letters and numbers. When entering characters, make sure that Caps Lock is off or on the contrary. as you like. But each time you enter a combination, it must be in the same position it was in when you created the password. Otherwise, you will not be able to log in. The same goes for the input language. All characters must be exactly the same as when creating the cipher. language, capital letters.
How to set a password on Windows 10
Due to its simplicity and ease of use, the latest version of the OS from Microsoft is very popular among users. Thanks to its capabilities, protection can be implemented without much skill and effort.
Let’s consider how to put a password on a Windows 10 computer or laptop:
- From the Start pop-up menu, find the Settings icon (gear-shaped, located on the left). Click on it.
- A window titled “Windows Settings” will appear. Among the sections presented, you need to select “Accounts”
- In the window that appears, on the left pane, find “Login Options” and select this item
- On the right, in the “Password” section, select “Add”
- A window “Create password” will appear, where there will be only three fields. Enter the code at the top, repeat it below
- In the third field, you can create a hint for the cipher. This is an optional option. It will help if you forget the entered combination.
- Click Next and then Finish
The login password has been set. Try restarting your PC and logging into your account using the new protection.
A little advice. If you leave the laptop, put it on standby or set the auto-transition time. Then, when the system is reactivated, it will ask for the login code again. This will keep your device safe when you are away for a short while. And there is no need to turn the PC on and off every time or worry that someone will open important documents while you are away.
How to change your password
There are situations when the user realizes that the selected code is not reliable enough and it is better to change it. In this case, the sequence of steps for your operating system is the same as above. Only instead of the “Add” inscription on Windows 10 there will be a “Change” option. And Windows 7 instead of “Create a password for your account” will offer “Change your password”. After that, you enter the old cipher, create and confirm a new combination. Done. The system is protected again.
There is a second, easier way to change the security code:
- Hold down the Ctrl Alt Del keys
- A menu will appear where you need to select “Change password” for “ten” or “Change password” for “seven”
- Then proceed according to the standard scheme. enter the old code and twice the new code
It is not difficult to create reliable protection for a computer or laptop. Minimum time and effort and your data is safe.
If you need more serious protection, install special programs. They can help you keep important work or personal records. But be careful, download them only from trusted sources so as not to harm your PC.
Now you know how to password protect a computer that has one of the above operating systems installed. We hope our tips were helpful to you.
Find out even more interesting information.
How to set a password on Windows 8, 8.1
If it becomes necessary to restrict access to the device, you can use the protective functions. The key on the laptop for games will restrict children’s access so that they do not waste time on entertainment, but study. You will be able to hide information from nosy relatives, colleagues or friends.
Before installing Windows 8 on a laptop, you must go through the following steps:
- On the desktop, using the mouse, the pointer is placed on the slide-out menu, where the “Options” section is located.
- In the line that opens, some settings will appear, from which you will need to click “Change parameters”.
- After that, the “Users” tab is selected, a window appears where “Create password” is located.
- A distinctive feature is that on OS Windows 8, 8.1 it is proposed to install several types of encryption: graphical, simple or 4-digit pin-code.
- The user selects the option that suits him, presses “Next” and “Finish”.
After carrying out the manipulations, the entry into the system is possible only after the correct combination is entered. A strong password will protect the gadget from unauthorized entry and hide personal data.
How to set a password on Windows 7?
To prevent strangers from using the laptop, to hide important information from prying eyes, the correct option would be to install a protective combination. Before you put a password on a computer, you need to come up with a set of characters that will only be known to the owner of the gadget.
Installing the cipher is possible on any laptop model with Windows 7. It is necessary to pay close attention to the language layout on the keyboard, the CapsLock key. The procedure is carried out in the following sequence:
- Click “Start”, after which a menu will appear where you should find “Control Panel”.
- The listing contains “Accounts and Security”. From the proposed variations, you must select “Add and remove accounts”.
- Lists with all users are displayed on the monitor. The entry for which the password is set is selected. If there are several of them, then the process is carried out by analogy.
- From the proposed list, select the line “Create a password”.
- The combination is entered several times to avoid mistakes when entering characters. It is also recommended to leave a hint.
- After rebooting, you will be prompted to enter a password.
Now, before entering the system, you must enter the security key.
Why set a password on a laptop?
Setting a password on a laptop will help protect against unauthorized entry directly or over the network, as well as prevent viruses or other spyware from infecting the system.
The main advantages of setting passwords are:
Confidence that no one will turn on the laptop without the knowledge of the owner, use the device for personal purposes.
2. There will be no Internet connection, which will exclude the possibility of connecting to unverified or foreign local networks.
3. There will be a possibility of storing important information and documents on a computer, while fears that data can be stolen will be significantly reduced.
Password setting should be done responsibly. The safety of the device will depend on this. The main rule when choosing a key is that it should not be simple. It is not recommended to use the following data:
That is, the password for a laptop for work should not contain personal information that is known to a large number of people. According to the advice of experts, the best option for a cipher is a combination of 7 to 14 characters. In this case, both letters and numbers can be used. In some cases, symbols are allowed: brackets, dashes, dots, pounds, and others.
The installed password on the computer will be an excellent opportunity to protect personal information from intruders, spyware and unauthorized access to the PC.
How to put a password on a computer or laptop? Setting a password on Windows 7, 8, 10
Today, almost everyone has a personal computer or laptop. They are compact and portable devices that can operate both from the network and using a battery.
- touch panel;
- powerful battery.
All this is contained in a robust housing that resists damage. A computer is a stationary device, the main element of which is the system unit. But in the modern world, first of all, it is necessary to take care of the security of information. The best option is to set a password on a computer or laptop. How to do this for different versions of Windows, we will explain further in the material.
How to put a password on a Windows 10 computer?
Entering a security key on a PC is a necessary action that will help hide important information from strangers or curious children. Correct installation will be the result of the fact that the combination will be requested when you turn on the laptop or wake it up from sleep mode.
The code is prompted to enter when installing the Windows 10 operating system. If you do not do this immediately, you can install it later. To do this, actions are carried out in the following sequence:
After the changes at boot, after turning on the laptop, for example Asus models, it will ask for a password. If there are several users on the PC, then you can install the key for each. This action will protect important data, keep it safe.
How to set a BIOS password?
The system is a collection of firmware that is used to operate a gadget with devices connected to it. Before you put a password on the BIOS, you need to understand how efficient this process is. This is a fairly reliable protection, it is installed in order to prevent changes in the settings in a laptop for study or other purposes.
To set a password, you need to enter the BIOS. You can do this when you turn on the computer after pressing the F2 or Delete button.
This procedure is carried out in the following sequence:
- After entering the system using the arrows there is a button “Security”. security.
- By clicking it, a window will appear on which you need to go to the line “Set Supervisor Password”. put the password. To activate the item, press the Enter button. The peculiarity of the installation is that you can only use the keyboard, not the mouse.
- 6 characters are used to enter the key. It is recommended that you create a password that is difficult to crack.
- After installation, press the Enter key.
- At the end of the procedure, the settings are saved and the computer restarts.
It should be remembered that when you change the password again or make changes in the BIOS, you will first receive a request for the old key. If it is not entered correctly, it will be impossible to change the parameters. In this case, you need to remember the password and not confuse it with others.
Installation of protective combinations on various operating systems, as well as on the BIOS, will hide information from prying eyes, nosy colleagues or friends. To prevent children from spending free hours for entertainment, parents put passwords to enter the OS. This will secure your internal data.
See “How to set a password on a computer in Windows”.
How to put a password on a laptop? Instructions and methods
There can be quite a few situations when you need to install protection in a computer system in the form of a password to access your personal data or programs. Most often this concerns the fact that family members of the user (most often children) can uncontrollably enter the system and perform undesirable actions in it, and such that it will simply “fly off”. In offices, passwords are most often used to protect confidential data if several users are registered on the same terminal. Sometimes it is necessary to protect even some installed applications so that no one other than the user can launch them. In general, there are plenty of options. How to set a password on a Windows laptop of any version on board will be discussed further.
How to set a password on a laptop with Windows 7?
So, let’s start with everyone’s favorite seventh version of this operating system. How do I put a password on a Windows 7 laptop? To do this, you need to call the standard “Control Panel” and go to the section of user accounts.
Here you need to open your registration and select the item to create a password. After that, in the data entry window, you will need to register the invented combination, then confirm it and press the password creation button.
Now let’s see how to put a password on a laptop if the protection is intended for another registered local user. In this case, the procedure is exactly the same, only you first need to use the section for managing another registration, and then select the desired user. In both cases, the passwords will become active either after a reboot or upon logging out to change the user.
Installing protection on programs and files
We figured out how to put a password on a laptop when turning on or when entering the operating system. Now, briefly about how passwords are set for programs, user files and directories.
For office documents, you can use the built-in password protection with encryption, for archives you can use your own tool of the corresponding programs, for folders, utilities like Folder Lock or Anvide Seal Folder are best suited, for games the Game Protector program is considered the most powerful. Also, for all options, encryption programs like Bitlocker (built-in Windows tool) or VeraCrypt look good.
In general, in order not to set passwords, and even with the use of additional software, provided that you are an administrator, you can simply restrict other users in access rights to a particular object by performing the necessary actions through the properties of a file or folder.
Password types and their creation in BIOS
Now let’s talk about how to set a password on a laptop using the capabilities of the primary I / O system. Why is this protection option good? Yes, only because passwords at the entrance to the system, if desired, can be cracked, but passwords in the BIOS. not (unless, of course, you consider a complete reset of the settings by removing the CMOS battery for 15 minutes).
There are two types of passwords on the primary system. These are usually Administrator (Supervisor) and User. If a password is set for a user only, you will have to enter it every time you log on to the system and when you try to access the BIOS settings. Setting a password for the administrator is effective only when entering the parameters of the primary system.
So, how to put a password on a laptop in BIOS?
Enter the main menu and find the BIOS Setting Password item or simply BIOS Password there. Usually it is located on the main tab (Main) or in the security section (Security). Using the enter key, bring up the combination input window, enter the password, and then save the changes on exit (F10).
Access protection installation options
Let’s start by looking at the main areas of action that even the most inexperienced users can use to create password protection. There are not so many options, and in most cases they relate to setting passwords for the local user registration, which will be requested at logon. This option is classic.
After performing the appropriate actions at the entrance to the system, a screen appears with icons corresponding to each registered user, when you click on which, a field appears with the requirement to enter the set password.
To provide a higher level of security, you can set a password in the BIOS options. After such actions, it will become impossible not only to log into Windows, but also to change the settings of the primary I / O system itself.
As an additional tool, you can use the setting of passwords for access to programs, folders or files, if the application of protection for the first two cases is not provided.
How to set a password on a Windows 10 laptop?
With the tenth version of the system, everything is also simple. In principle, the first option can also be applied. Getting to the standard “Control Panel” in this modification is quite problematic, therefore, in order not to go through various menus and sections, the easiest way is to call the “Run” (Win R) console and write the control command in it.
However, you can use another technique. Let’s see how to set a password on a Windows 10 laptop using the new system features. First, through the “Start” menu, you need to call the settings section and go to accounts.
In the menu on the left, the entry parameters item is selected, and on the right in the password block, the button for changing it is pressed, after which it remains to do the above-described actions to enter and confirm the combination.
Note: for all systems, creating a hint can be used as a lifeline in case you forgot or lost the password.
Setting a password in Windows 8 (8.1)
Now a few words about how to put a password on a laptop using a similar method, but already in systems of the eighth modifications using the basic capabilities of the Metro interface. To do this, you need to move the cursor to the lower right corner in order to access the main options, then go through the parameters item to the section for changing them.
Next, login options and login options are selected. After that, as in the first case, you need to enter the password and confirm it with saving the settings.
Note: in the eighth version, you can use not only the usual combinations of letters, numbers and symbols, but also set a pin code or a pattern, provided that the device screen supports touchscreen mode.
Windows login password
The first option is Windows password access protection. What is its advantage? It’s simplicity. The downside is low reliability. You can set passwords when entering the OS as follows:
- Let’s take a look at Windows 7 as an example. The first step is to go to the Control Panel (via Start). Further in the tab “User accounts”.
- In the window that opens, click on “Create a password for your account”.
- Now you need to fill in all the fields. They are called “new password” and “password confirmation”. When doing this, pay attention to whether you have Caps Lock turned on. Also, remember that the strongest password contains uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers and special characters.
- Optionally, you can enter a hint at the very bottom line. Thus, if you suddenly forget your password, the system will remind you of it. But, of course, not in complete form. So, if necessary, write down the password somewhere on a piece of paper.
For laptops with Windows 8, the algorithm is somewhat similar to what is relevant for devices with Windows 7. However, there are some differences. Therefore, to set a password on a laptop with a “eight”, adhere to the following scheme:
- Hover your mouse over the top-right or bottom-right side of the desktop. Then move it up or down.
- A menu will open where you need to select the “Options” section (usually at the very bottom).
- In the window that opens, click on “Change computer settings” and go to the appropriate section.
- We select “Login Options” on the left or “Users” right away, depending on the OS version. Next, you need to find a key that will be called like “Create password”, “Change password”, etc.
- A window will appear on the monitor. Enter the password in it, repeat it and, if necessary, set a hint.
- Click “next” or “done”. So you “password-protected” the laptop.
Set a password on a laptop via the command line
Some users will prefer the alternative, which also allows you to lock access to the laptop and protect the valuable information stored on its hard drive. All you need to do is use the command line.
- The first step is to press the “Windows X” key combination. Next, select “Command line (administrator)” from the list. In Windows 10, you can simply click the magnifying glass icon in the lower left corner. Then enter cmd. Then the command line will open.
- We register “net user” and press enter. After that, a list of users will appear on the screen. This is necessary to see the correct spelling of the name / login.
- Now we enter the command “net user Name Password”. Naturally, “name” and “password” must be replaced. For example, net user user1 qwerty.
- If you do everything correctly, the system will inform you about it. The message “command completed successfully” appears.
How to put a password on a laptop
Windows 10 laptop password
For devices with top ten, there are several protection options at once. On such a laptop, you can set both a symbolic and a graphic password. You can also restrict access to your Windows 10 laptop using the PIN and Windows Hello features.
To activate any of the methods, you need to go to the “Settings” section, then. in the “Login Options”. Here on the left you can choose the type of password protection that you like. All you have to do is click “Add”.
It should be remembered that the pin code and graphic password are available only for a Microsoft account (under the local administrator, these functions are inactive).
By the way, there are frequent situations when the user’s password for logging into Windows 10 is set, but for some reason the system does not ask for it when the laptop is turned on. This is usually because the corresponding input requirement setting is disabled. To activate it, you need to press the WinR key combination, and in the window that opens, type control userpasswords2. Then click on OK.
Laptop BIOS password
There is also BIOS password protection. It is more resistant to hacking. At the same time, it not only restricts access to the same account, but also prevents unauthorized changes to settings in the BIOS. In addition, to disable BIOS password protection, the “cracker” will need to remove the battery from the motherboard. And this whole procedure takes a lot of time and effort. So the user does not have to worry that someone will use the device in his absence.
So, to put a password on a laptop through the BIOS, you need:
- Go to the corresponding menu. Each manufacturer (acer, asus, Samsung, HP, lenovo, etc.) prefers certain keys. The most popular options are F1, F2, F10, F12, Del, Esc. All that is required is when you turn on and boot the OS, press the desired button. Thus, you will be taken to the BIOS menu.
- Find a section where you can set a password. It can be called in different ways. For example, “Security”, “User Password” (for a regular user) or “Supervisor” (for an administrator).
- Set a new password. To do this, select the appropriate section and press Enter. Then we write the code.
- Save password and exit BIOS menu. To do this, go to the Exit item and select “Save and Exit Setup”. Or first press F10, select “YES” and then Enter.
Now you need to enter the password every time you turn on the laptop. Otherwise, Windows loading and access to any information stored on the computer will be denied.
However, what if you forgot your password? As we said above, you can disconnect the battery for powering the special flash memory, which stores the BIOS microcode with all the settings. To do this, you will have to disassemble the laptop a little. There is another option. a forgotten password can be reset programmatically. How? Using special passphrases (the so-called standard BIOS password). However, each manufacturer (ASUS, Acer, Samsung, Dell, etc.) is unique.
It happens that a particular laptop model has a dozen options for individual codes for resetting the settings and the BIOS password. Therefore, it is not so easy to pick them up. First you need to find out the BIOS version, and then find on the Internet a list of standard passwords, which you then have to enter one by one.
setting a password in BIOS (UEFI)
If you have several operating systems on your computer (possibly those versions where you cannot set a password for the account), then you can put a password in the BIOS, and you will need to enter it every time you try to turn on the computer (laptop).
By the way, let me stress that if an attacker takes out the hard drive from your laptop, he can read all of your data. This type of protection is only suitable for protecting against curious colleagues and household residents (i.e. in cases where there is no possibility that your HDD will be taken away from you).
Please note that there are two types of passwords in BIOS:
- User password. user password, will be required every time the laptop is turned on (which is what most people need);
- Supervisor Password. supervisor password (required when entering BIOS).
How to put a password on a laptop
In general, it’s never too late to think about security (and never too early!), Especially since some files can be more expensive for the heart than the cost of the laptop itself.
However, I want to say right away that the question was not asked quite correctly. Usually, by setting a password on a laptop (computer), many understand setting a password for a Windows account (i.e. when Windows starts up, a sign will appear asking you to enter a password. if it is entered correctly, the desktop will be shown). Actually, I’ll start this article with him.
However, I will add that this option is not the only one and does not always provide reliable protection. In general, in such an article, I decided to give a few more options for password protection (I recommend that you also familiarize yourself with them in order to understand the pros / cons of each option).
setting a password for a file, and encrypting a disk (flash drive)
This option, in my opinion, has much greater application. I think many will agree with me that most users do not have that much data that needs to be hidden and protected with a password. Those. there is no point in setting a password on Windows (which everyone already has).
But to securely encrypt specific files (or an entire disk partition), and so that no one except you can read this data. this is very interesting, and often necessary in practice.
In addition, even if suddenly your laptop is stolen (or lost), your data cannot be read without a password. Therefore, the method is more relevant than ever.
setting a password for files in the archive
Most common archivers (WinRAR or 7-Zip) can create an encrypted archive in which dozens of different files can be placed.
When opening such an archive, you need to enter a password, if you enter it correctly, you will get access, if not, then no. This method is convenient for those files that you don’t need to work with very often.
I’ll show you how this is done using the example of the 7-ZIP archiver.
First, select the document (s) that you want to put into the archive, and press the right mouse button. in the menu that appears, select “7-ZIP. Add to archive.”.
- archive format 7Z;
- check the boxes below: encrypt file names and show password;
- enter a password and remember it;
- to create an archive click on OK.
Actually, the finished archive cannot be easily extracted, nor can you view the list of files inside, until the password is entered.
over, I note that if you forget the password, it is unlikely that you will be able to find it so easily, it is quite difficult to crack such a file (almost impossible, in theory.).
When trying to open an archive. asked to enter a password
disk / flash drive partition encryption
If you have a lot of files and you often work with them, then you can encrypt, for example, a whole USB flash drive or a hard disk partition. over, there is both a built-in tool in Windows and third-party programs.
Below I will consider a function that is in Windows 7-10 (in Pro editions and above).
It’s about BitLocker. To activate it, just go to “This computer”, select the disk and right-click on it. the function should appear in the menu (if you do not have it, then the matter is in the Windows version, you need to upgrade).
When activating BitLocker, you will be asked to enter a password, and will be given a backup key (so that you can recover the partition if you forget your password). I omitted the windows with entering the password and saving the key. they are of no practical value (I think you can figure it out).
Actually, now the disk will be encrypted and displayed in “This computer” with a lock.
This is how the encrypted disk will look like.
When you try to open it, you will see a window asking you to enter a password. Until the correct password is entered. files on the disk cannot be opened (the disk is fully encrypted)!
When trying to access an encrypted disk. you need to enter a password
protecting the Windows account
As I said above, this is one of the most popular methods. a screen asking you to enter a password will appear every time you turn on and boot the OS (an example of how it works in Windows 10 is presented below).
Note: This is also useful when you need to move away from the PC. Just click on the WinL combination. and all information on the desktop will be protected!
Windows 10 Welcome Screen. Enter Password
Pros: fast; conveniently; reliable enough that while you walk away from the PC, no one can look. what are you working with; good protection against children.
Cons: your files and data are protected only from the fact that they cannot be viewed by someone accidentally (or people who are poorly versed with a PC).
Any average user can delete your password and gain access to data (all the more, the data itself on the hard drive is not protected or encrypted in any way. that is, you can remove the hard drive and connect it to another device, and then read all your data).
And so how to set such a password. I will give a universal method that works in all popular Windows (Vista / 7/8/10):
- first you need to call the “Run” window. a combination of WinR buttons;
- then enter the command control userpasswords2;
- press Enter (see example in the screenshot below).
By the way, if for some reason the control userpasswords2 command does not work for you, try executing it from the command line.
Next, a window should appear with all the accounts that are in Windows. By choosing one of them, you can put a password (see screen below).
Setting a password (press the CtrlAltDel key combination)
Actually, this is how you can quickly and easily protect your affairs on a laptop from prying eyes. Now, when you restart (or turn on) the device, you will be presented with a window asking you to enter the code.
By the way, if you go somewhere. press the WinL button combination (Windows will hide the desktop and until you enter the password, it will not show it).
Several options for “password” file protection
with a fingerprint scanner
I would also like to note that nowadays special fingerprint scanners are being installed on modern phones and laptops.
Such protection allows you to make the technique really personal, so that no one except you (or without your permission) can use it. After all, a PC is a personal computer.
Example of securing a laptop with a fingerprint (HP laptop) // HP SimplePass app
By the way, many people think so much about the security of data on a laptop, at the same time they do not think about it at all (about the laptop itself).
For example, it was not so rare to see how in rather large institutions the doors are left open wide open: and there are laptops and telephones on the tables. come in and take.
If you have Windows 7
- Go to the control panel through the “Start” menu and select the line about user accounts from the menu.
- Select the tab about creating a password for your account and left-click.
- Set a password following the above recommendations and a hint that will help you remember this password in case of anything.
How to put a password on a laptop
The mechanism and order of actions depends on your operating system, we will consider the most popular and frequently encountered options. Windows 7 and Windows 8, 8.1. Whatever OS you have installed, remember the main thing. the password must be such that no one but you can guess about it.
There is an option to use a password generator. a program that, given the parameters, automatically generates passwords consisting of a set of numbers and letters. However, the disadvantage of this method is that it is rather difficult to remember the generated password, and if you write it down somewhere, then there is a risk that someone else will be able to use it.
Therefore, it is better to come up with a password yourself, but remember a few simple rules:
- do not use the date of birth as a password. neither yours, nor loved ones;
- do not put your name or surname, pet’s nickname as a password;
- it is better if the password contains both numbers and letters, both uppercase and lowercase;
- if you use tokens, the likelihood that someone will be able to repeat your password is much reduced.
How to set a password on a laptop
If you do not live alone, there is always a risk that someone at home can use your laptop. However, even if you are the only one living in your apartment, you may have guests who will not resist the temptation to look into someone else’s computer. To prevent this from happening, you should think in advance about how to set a password on your laptop. This will prevent unpleasant consequences in the form of deleted files, reading personal correspondence and viewing photos by strangers.
If you have Windows 8, 8.1
- Go to the control panel as described above and in the “Computer Settings” window select the line about changing the account.
- After reaching point 3 in the menu, open the right Windows panel and in the tab select “Settings”. “Change computer settings”.
- In the appeared window about managing accounts, set a password. text, graphic or short, consisting of 4 digits.
Now you know how to put a password on your laptop when you turn it on, and you can set it at any time. If you are working at a computer and you need to step away, you just need to press a simple WindowsL key combination and the operating system will be locked. Thus, you can be sure that in your absence no one will have access to your data on your laptop.
Tablets with support for GSM and 3G modules are no longer for anyone [. ]
Some are quite skeptical about the need to install an additional anti-virus [. ]
Before you remove the antivirus from your computer, you need to understand that you need to remove antivirus programs, [. ]
Many fall into a stupor and do not know how to take a screenshot on a MacBook because of [. ]
Yak to put a password on a Windows 10 PC?
The introduction of a registration key on a PC is a necessary step, as it is also possible to provide important information about strangers or children. Correct installation will be the result of the fact that the combination will be powered when the laptop is turned on or during the sleep mode.
The code will be prompted to enter when installing the Windows 10 operating system. For the whole event, the following events are held:
When you lock a laptop, for example Asus models, the password will be supplied. If the PC has a number of koristuvachiv, then you can put the key on the skin one. Such a move to seize important dances, save them in safety.
Yak put a password on the PC’uter or laptop? Setting a password on Windows 7, 8, 10
It is practical for the skin є personal PCs and notebooks. The stench is a compact and portable device, which can function as a net, as well as for an additional battery.
- touch panel;
- pull-back battery.
All people are sent to the mіtsniy building, which is like a pereshkodzhaє approved poshkodzhen. PC’uter is a stationary attachment, the head element of a system unit. Ale in the bitter light in the first place, it is necessary to add some information about the safety of information. We shorten the option є setting a password on a PC’uter laptop. Yak tse zrobiti for new versions of Windows in materials.
Yak set a password on Windows 7?
Do not allow unknowing people to pick up a laptop, take important information from outsiders’ eyes, the correct option will be to install a legal combination. Before Tim, how to put a password on the PC, you need to come up with a set of symbols, which will be shown only to the owner of the gadget.
Installing the cipher is possible on any laptop model with Windows 7. It is necessary to respectfully put it on the keyboard, the CapsLock key. The procedure is carried out in the offensive after:
- Press “Start”, for which the menu appears, then you know the “Keruvannya Panel”.
- At the overhauled roztashovani “Oblikovy records and bezpeka”. Of the proponated options, it is necessary to vibrate “Supplementing and seeing regional records”.
- On the monitors there are lists with the help of koristuvachi. Vibrate to record, a password will be set on the yaku. Yakshko їkh kіlka, then the process is carried out by analogy.
- From the list of proponents, the row “Password reset” is selected.
- The combination is introduced only when the signs are introduced. It is also recommended to add a clue.
- If you want to rewrite the password, sign up for a password.
Now persh nіzh pottypiti in the system, you need to enter the security key.
Yak set a password on Windows 8, 8.1
Iakshcho there was a need to interconnect access to the annex, it is possible to speed up the functions. The key is on the laptop for children to access, so the stench didn’t last an hour at the races, but took up the lessons. Possibility to show up with information from cikavikh relatives, colleagues or friends.
Before you put it on a Windows 8 laptop, you need to go through the steps:
- On the working table, behind the helper Misha, the indicator on the menu is displayed, there is a section “Parameters”.
- A row has appeared in a row, there will be deyakis adjusted, for which it will be necessary to natisnuyu “Zmіna parameters”.
- When you vibrate the tab “Koristuvachi”.
- With the help of rice, you will see those on OS Windows 8, 8.1 set the type of code: graphical, simple or a 4-digit PIN code.
- Koristuvach vibiraє that option, which you go to, embossing “Dali” and “Ready”.
For carrying out the manipulation of inputs into the system, only for the correct introduction of the combination. An unauthorized password to steal a gadget from an unauthorized penetration and an extraordinary person.
Now set up the password on your laptop?
Setting a password on a laptop can help you to recover from unauthorized penetration without any middle ground, or through a net, and also to prevent infected systems with viruses or other spygun programs.
With the help of the main passwords for setting the passwords of the vistupa:
The difference is that a laptop will not be able to be wicked without the help of a master, vikoristovuvati device for special purposes.
2. There will be a connection to the Internet, so that you can turn on the possibility of connecting with non-rewired or foreign local stitches.
3. It is possible to take advantage of important information and documents on the PC, in case of a fight, but this can be stolen, meaningfully reduced.
Go ahead and set the password individually. From where I’ll lay a safe, I’ll add it. The main rule when choosing a key is that you are not guilty but forgive. It is not recommended to vikoristovuvati such danis:
That is, the password for a laptop for a robot is guilty of revenge against a special information officer, as in the home of a great number of people. For the joy of the fahivts, the best option for the cipher in the combination from 7 to 14 characters. At the same time, you can vikoristovuvatisya yak lіteri, so і numbers. Symbols are allowed for children: arches, dashes, specks, lattices and іnshі.
, how the password is set by the PC’utter will become a miraculous time to clean up the special information from malicious users, software spyguns and unauthorized access to PC.
Yak put a password on the BIOS?
The system is a microprogramme, which serves as a robot gadget with plug-in add-ons. Before you put the password on the BIOS, you need to go through some efficient process. Tse to finish the hopeful zajist, you will stand up with the mark of zapobіgannya zmіni nalashtuvan in the laptop for the new sign.
To set a password, you need to go to BIOS. It can be canceled when the PC is turned on by pressing the F2 button or Delete.
The following procedure is carried out in the coming days:
- Send to the system for the additional help of arrows, the button “Security” is used. safe.
- Having pressed її, show up at the end, on which you need to go to the “Set Supervisor Password” row. set a password. To activate the item, press the Enter button. The special setting is those that can only be cornered by the keyboard, and not by the teddy bear.
- To enter the key, 6 symbols must be used. It is recommended to use this password, which will be easy to use.
- Press Enter key for installation.
- After the end of the procedure, the procedure is saved and restarted and the PC is restarted.
A memory slid, which, when you change the password again, or if you make a change to the BIOS, will be fed to the old key for a cob. If you do not enter it correctly, it will be hard to remember the parameters. Such a problem needs to remember the password and not to cheat with others.
Installation of fixed combinations on different operating systems, as well as on the BIOS, allow you to get information from outsiders, from your colleagues or friends. Children didn’t spend a great deal of time behind rozvagami, fathers put passwords on the input to the OS. To ensure the internal data.
Wonder video: “How to set a password on a PC’uter in Windows”.