Basic BIOS settings for installation “Windows
Before proceeding with the installation of the operating system “Windows” on an HP g6 laptop, you must set the Corresponding settings in the BIOS.
Placing the HP Pavilion g6 in the workplace. How to enter BIOS. It is already known. Go to the menu “System Setup” and open the Boot settings sub-item. Here, using the F5 and F6 keys, move the device with the installation image “Windows” (flash drive, CD) to the very top of the priority tree. This action will allow the system at startup to start the installation process from the specified media. Before exiting BIOS settings in the “Exit” it is necessary to select the item with saving the settings and confirm the selection. After restarting the laptop, the installation process will begin.
Having mastered the information on how to enter the BIOS on HP Pavilion g6, Windows 8, 7, XP, you can install without much difficulty.
What is BIOS and how to enter it?
BIOS is an element of the software of a computer device, implemented at the microcircuit level and allowing operating systems to use the entire arsenal of its hardware.
A special version of this program is also stitched into the HP Pavilion g6. How to enter the device BIOS, we will consider further.
The procedure for entering this setup menu looks like this:
- With the laptop off, press the power button.
- Press Esc several times quickly.
- Press the F10 button.
- How to enter BIOS HP Pavilion g6 solved. On-screen settings menu.
It is worth noting that changing the settings in this menu should be made by users who have an idea of what he does and why, otherwise there is a high probability of the laptop malfunctioning and its malfunction due to incorrect changes.
Learn more about BIOS menu items
How to enter BIOS on HP Pavilion g6 has already been said. Now let’s analyze each item of the BIOS settings menu separately.
It contains basic information about the installed processor, RAM, BIOS version, device ID and its elements. It is also possible to configure the system date and time.
Password settings for entering BIOS when connected to a hard drive and enabling / disabling additional security elements.
Includes elements for checking the operation of the main elements of the hardware and displaying information about their status.
After entering the BIOS of the HP Pavilion g6 it was possible, at this point users can change the menu language, enable / disable the processor virtualization technology (if supported), configure the cooler operation mode. And also in the submenu “Settings” Boot set the boot priority of storage media.
Everything is simple here: you can select the exit mode with saving changes, without saving, or reset the settings to factory settings.
HP Pavilion g6: how to enter BIOS and what it is for?
Not so long ago, the American company Hewlett-Packard released its g6 line of notebooks, which is positioned as a mid-budget with a reserve for the entry-level business class. The main elements of the external finishing of the case of such devices were glossy plastic elements with the introduction of a structured surface of the cover, as well as metal elements of the moving structures of the case. Screen matrices are used by TN-film, which provide the necessary level of display of both information for work and multimedia applications. The stuffing of the devices varies from the initial working capacities to educational and game ones, which allows the user to choose the device “for himself”. G6-series laptops are running under control “Windows”, “Linux” and “chromosomes”. The connecting link between the operating system and the hardware of these laptops is a special system of BIOS settings. Here the user can enable and disable peripheral devices integrated into the product, change the boot priorities of hard drives and external media, and fine-tune SEPARATE elements of the laptop.
Benefits of Correct BIOS Setup
It is always better to read and understand the instructions for setting up something rather than troubleshooting later problems. So in the case of owning a laptop HP Pavilion g6. How to enter the BIOS and configure it correctly before installing / reinstalling the operating system is very important to understand when mastering the device. A properly configured BIOS allows the device to operate stably, quickly and without crashes. Therefore, if you install a new operating system without making changes to the BIOS settings, you may experience problems in the performance and functionality of the device. It’s better to finish the process 100% than to stop halfway.
With this knowledge it is easy and simple to unleash the full potential of the HP Pavilion g6 notebook. How to enter BIOS and configure it correctly, now you know.
General information on entering the BIOS boot menu
Just as to enter the BIOS (or configure the UEFI software) when turning on the computer, you must press a certain key, usually Del or F2, so there is a similar key to invoke the Boot Menu. In most cases, these are F12, F11, Esc, but there are other options in which I will write below (sometimes information about what you need to press to call the Boot Menu appears immediately on the screen when you turn on the computer, but not always).
over, if all you need is to change the boot order and you need to do this for some one-time action (installing Windows, checking for viruses), then it is better to use the Boot Menu, and not put, for example, booting from a USB flash drive in the BIOS settings.
In the Boot Menu, you will see a list of all devices connected to the computer from which it is potentially possible to boot at the moment (hard drives, flash drives, DVDs and CDs), as well as, possibly, the option to boot the computer network and start restoring a laptop or computer from a backup partition.
Features of entering the Boot Menu in Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 (8)
For laptops and computers that originally came with Windows 8 or 8.1, and soon with Windows 10, entering the Boot Menu using these keys may NOT work. This is due to the fact that shutdown for THESE operating systems is NOT in the full sense of the word shutdown. This is rather hibernation, and then the boot menu may NOT open when you press F12, Esc, F11 and the second keys.
In this case, you can do one of the following:
- When you select “Shutdown” in Windows 8 and 8.1, hold down the Shift key, in this case the computer should turn off fully and when you turn on the key to enter the Boot Menu, it should work.
- Restart your computer instead of turning it off and on, when restarting, press the desired key.
- Disable Fast Startup (see How to disable Fast Startup in Windows 10). In Windows 8.1, to do this, go to the Control Panel (the view of the control panel is icons, not categories), select “Power supply”, in the list on the left, click “Actions of the power buttons” (even if it is not a laptop), Disable the item “Turn on fast launch “(for this you may need to click” Change parameters that are currently unavailable “at the top of the window).
One of these methods should definitely help with entering the boot menu, provided that everything else is done correctly.
Other models of laptops and motherboards
For other laptop models, as well as PCs with different Motherboards, there are fewer features, and then I will simply give the Boot Menu entry keys for them in the form of a list:
- HP all-in-ones and notebooks. F9 or Esc followed by F9
- Dell Laptops. F12
- Samsung Laptops. Esc
- Toshiba Laptops. F12
- Gigabyte motherboards. F12
- Intel motherboards. Esc
- Asus motherboards. F8
- MSI motherboards. F11
- Asrock. F11
It seems that I took into account all the most common options, and also described the possible nuances. If suddenly you still cannot enter the Boot Menu on any device, leave a comment indicating its model, I will try to find a solution (and DO NOT forget about the points related to fast boot in the latest versions of Windows, about which I wrote above).
How to enter the Boot Menu on Lenovo laptops
For almost all Lenovo brand laptops and all-in-ones, you can use the F12 key to enter the Boot Menu when turning on.
Also, additional boot options for Lenovo laptops can be selected by clicking the small arrow button next to the power button.
The next most popular model of laptops and monoblocks with us is Acer. Entering the Boot Menu on them for different BIOS versions is carried out by pressing the F12 key when turning on.
However, on Acer laptops there is one feature. often, entering the Boot Menu by F12 on them does not work by default, and in order for the key to work, you must first enter the BIOS by pressing the F2 key, and then switch the “F12 Boot Menu” parameter to the Enabled state, then save the settings and exit the BIOS.
How to enter the Boot Menu on laptops and computers
Boot Menu can be called at startup on most laptops and computers, this menu is a BIOS or UEFI option and allows you to quickly select which drive to boot the computer this time. In this manual I will show you how to enter the Boot Menu on popular laptop models and PC motherboards.
The described feature can be useful if you need to boot from a Live CD or a bootable USB flash drive to install Windows and not only. you do not have to change the boot order in the BIOS, as a rule, a single selection of the desired boot device in the Boot Menu is enough. On some laptops, the same menu gives access to the recovery section of the laptop.
First, I will write general information on entering the Boot Menu, nuances for laptops with Windows 10 and 8.1 preinstalled. And then. for each brand: for Asus, Lenovo, Samsung and others laptops, Gigabyte, MSI, Intel motherboards, etc. At the bottom there is also a video showing and explaining the entrance to such a menu.
Entering the Boot Menu on Asus (for laptops and motherboards)
For almost all desktop computers with Asus motherboards, the boot menu is entered by pressing the F8 key after turning on the computer (at the same time when we press Del or F9 to enter BIOS or UEFI).
But there is some confusion with laptops. To enter the Boot Menu on ASUS laptops, depending on the model, you need to press when turning on:
- Esc. for most (but not all) modern and not so models.
- F8. for those Asus laptop models whose name begins with x or k, for example x502c or k601 (but not always, there are models on x, where you enter the Boot Menu by pressing the Esc key).
In any case, there are not so many options, so you can try each of them if necessary.
Video on how to enter the boot devices menu
Well, in addition to everything written above, the video instruction in the entrance to the Boot Menu may be useful to someone.
How to enter the HP BIOS on a laptop
The most proven way is to look at the specifications for your device. Very often, developers indicate how to open the BIOS on a laptop and HP is no exception. However, the documentation is very often lost, so you should use the second method.
There are special key combinations that must be pressed at a certain point during computer startup. It should be noted that even within the same manufacturer, combinations may differ depending on the specific model. To be sure to enter the BIOS, follow these steps:
- Turn on or restart your device.
- During boot, press a key or several keys, which are responsible for entering the BIOS on your device. In order not to miss the moment when you need to press the hotkey, try to continuously press the desired key during startup.
- After this, the BIOS will start.
But, how do you know which keys are responsible for starting the BIOS? We have already said that there is no universal recipe. It all depends on the specific model. Therefore, let’s take a look at all the combinations that can only be. If you do not want to surf the Internet in search of the Coveted Hotkeys, you can find the right combination by typing. We will consider all the options.
HP notebook PC: how to enter BIOS using a key
- F10 is a hotkey located at the top of the keyboard. This is the most common option, which works in the vast majority of cases. Therefore, you should try it first. But if the start of the bios did not happen, do not worry. There are many other variations that may work.
- Esc is a key that will NOT directly enter the BIOS, but it can help you. The thing is that many models from HP have a special menu with which you can either enter the BIOS, or return the device to its original state, or select the priority media. That is, a kind of BIOS for minimum wages, or rather its basic functions, which many people use most often. Press Esc and then look at the screen. The corresponding inscription will tell you which hotkey you need to press.
- F11. it is very rare, but it is also worth trying it if the previous two methods did not help.
- F6, F8, F2, Del are even rarer and are implemented literally in a couple of notebook lines from HP. But you shouldn’t forget about these keys either. Suddenly one of them will help you?
How to enter BIOS on an HP laptop?
Every self-respecting user should be able to enter the BIOS: it can be used to fix many problems. We will tell you how you can do this using the example of one of the most popular brands. HP.
Everyone has long known that laptops are more problematic devices from the point of view of operation when compared with stationary computers. This applies to both hardware and software. The operating system on a full-size PC works more stable and rarely goes into a blue screen. Therefore, it will be useful for any laptop owner to know how to start the BIOS. Its correct configuration will get rid of many problems. One of the most popular brands on the market is HP. Therefore, we will consider several ways in this example of this manufacturer.
What is BIOS
BIOS is a set of firmware that implements the software interface of the operating system for working with the computer hardware and devices connected to it. In simple terms, this is a tool for basic configuration of the operating system and components. The BIOS is hardcoded into the motherboard and is NOT part of the operating system. Therefore, you can always enter it. And there is an entrance to the launch of the OS itself.
The most common way to use the BIOS is to reinstall the operating system when you need to select the priority media from which to boot. However, the functionality of the basic I / O system is huge and every year it becomes more and more. The current bios can do much more than their predecessors. Here is a list of the most common functions that are found in any, even the simplest, set of firmware:
- Sets the priority media to boot from. We wrote about this just above.
- Setting up the processor and cooler. CPU overclocking, in contrast to video card overclocking, is carried out in the BIOS. And this is done by adjusting parameters such as: voltage, bus frequency, multiplier and the second. In modern motherboards, you can adjust coolers depending on the temperature, building a kind of graph. You can read about overclocking separately here.
- Time, date and time zone management.
- Adjust security settings, such as setting a password.
- Monitor the main indicators of components. This is very useful because many programs display imprecise values. While the BIOS always shows reliable information. Provided that the latest firmware is installed, of course.
And this is not the entire list, but a set of the most popular and necessary tools. If you wish, you can always find tutorials on the content of your specific set of motherboard firmware.
How to open BIOS on HP laptop instead of using hotkey
It will start the BIOS It is possible not only with the corresponding key. This can be done from the operating system itself. We think that it is not necessary to clarify that this method will not work for you if the operating system does not boot. If your Windows is functioning normally, follow these steps:
How to enter BIOS in an HP laptop?
The need to launch the interface arises for various reasons. In some cases, users need to change the boot priority from the HDD to a bootable USB flash drive in order to further update, reinstall or install the operating system. Secondly, you can view detailed information about connecting equipment to any computer or laptop (motherboard, RAM, video card, processor, frequency and number of cores, etc.).
Often, the Basic Input / Output System is used to test and change the configuration of hardware components. It is worth noting the useful option to reset the BIOS settings to factory settings, which will come in handy in case of software glitches and malfunctions in the OS. So, let’s figure out how to enter BIOS on your laptop.
Video. HP laptop startup process in Windows 8 and 10
For a start, it is better to seek help from the supplied instructions for the computer. But the happy owners of modern laptops are usually deprived of this opportunity. In the box with the device, in addition to the power supply and the warranty card, other documentation is often simply lacking. And there is no single standard for entering the initial settings for entering the BIOS on a laptop either. Different manufacturers start this process differently. But the owner of the HP Pavilion device may require a good reaction to quickly find, and even quickly press the desired button or key at the first start. In this case, you must not miss the moment when a hint is visible on the monitor on how to enter the initial settings on a laptop.
But that’s not all. Modern laptops replace traditional mechanical HDDs with solid state drives (SSD). Performance and responsiveness are improved, so the boot process for Windows 8 and 10 is almost instantaneous. Accordingly, there is a chance to press the corresponding button on the keyboard on time.
But the question of how to open access to the basic HP settings for Windows 8.1 or 10 can also be solved quite simply:
- Clicked on the Start button, we find in the menu the line “Options”.
- In the “Update and Security” section, you need to select the “Recovery” line and activate the Restart now button.
- Getting into the system close menu, where the choice of action is offered. You need to select the “Diagnostics” section.
- The “Additional parameters” window drops out. It remains to select “UEFI Firmware Options”.
- Getting input directly into the BIOS of the HP laptop.
This method is suitable for a single entry.
But you can make the startup permanent on every boot of the Windows 8.1 or 10 system:
- Through the Start button we find the section “Control Panel”.
- Choosing the item “Power supply”, follow the link “Actions of the power buttons”.
- In the window that opens, we find the link “Parameter changes that are currently unavailable.” Opposite the line “Enable fast startup (recommended)” is unchecked. It remains to click the Save changes button.
Now the next time you start the system on HP, it will be much easier to see the BIOS settings.
For HP Pavilion G6 laptops, the BIOS is made in such a way that, even at the start of the system, users can start the built-in programs by itself, which can help in diagnosing or configuring the laptop. It is even possible to reinstall Windows if a bootable system image was created beforehand. All operations are activated by special keys, with which you can call, for example, a program for analyzing the operative and the entire hard disk. You can see all the information about this laptop.
How to start BIOS on HP laptop. How to know if you are already in BIOS?
For those who are doing this for the first time, I will give an example of the most common BIOS on Hewlett-Packard and Compaq Presario laptops with an interface from American Megatrends Inc.
The main screen is light gray. At the top is a blue line with a list of tabs “Main”, “Advanced”, “Power”, “Boot” and “Exit”. They may differ depending on the version. The same BIOS is used in second-hand laptops, for example, on Lenovo Ideapad.
Guessing the button to enter the BIOS
Well, let’s get started. It would be nice if you get your laptop ready right away and try the options I suggest. Do not be afraid to do this, because if you entered the BIOS and exited it without changing anything, then nothing will happen to your PC.
Easy ways to get started.
We overload or turn on the laptop, after making sure that it is supplied with energy and does not accidentally go out. As soon as you have pressed the “On” button, watch the screen closely. Your task, having seen the Compaq (red) or HP (Sina) logo, has time to press the coveted key before the OS starts up. (Don’t be surprised, Compaq is now property and part of Hewlett Packard) And here we have a variety of options:
- The computer will tell you which button to press. Usually this is an inscription of this type “Press F10 to run Setup” or something similar.
- Also, HP laptops may have more detailed prompts due to a specially designed menu.
They will indicate buttons for SEPARATE functions that are available in the BIOS, but are called separately: system information, diagnostics, select a boot device (F2), directly install the BIOS (F10) and system recovery. By the way, this is very convenient.
- The third situation is when the hints are comments.
As you can see, I have already mentioned the “F10” key twice and this is no coincidence. On most models of Hewlett-Packard notebooks, this is the one designed to enter BIOS. If this option did NOT work (and this is quite possible, but do not worry about this), then try the following buttons: “F1”, “Delete” or “Esc” (when you press it, you can get to the menu described in the previous paragraph).
All of them, by the way, are Recommended by the HP Official Support site. But even if, and they did NOT help, do not despair, perhaps you have some kind of unique laptop model. And it certainly has its own key for the BIOS. So go through the keyboard from F1 to F12, and then do the same in combination with and “Fn” or “Shift”. The probability of hitting this method is 99.9%.
In general, entering the BIOS by pressing one button is not a difficult task.
Easy options to enter HP BIOS in Windows 8.1 and 10
Unlike Windows 7, XP and Vista, users of “eights” and “ten” may NOT see the menu of system buttons when turning on laptops / netbooks due to the active fast boot mode. Let’s consider the procedure for disabling this function:
- Right-click on the Start menu;
- Select “Control Panel”;
- We need a section “Power supply”, if it is not displayed, Change the display from categories to large or small icons (located in the upper right part)
- On the left side of the window that opens, select “Actions of the power buttons”;
- Then go to the section “Changing parameters that are currently unavailable”;
- A little below, in the same window, a tab with OS shutdown settings will appear;
- To disable Fast Startup, uncheck the “Enable Fast Startup” item and save the specified changes;
- Now try turning off the laptop, and the next time you turn it on, a screen with the necessary information will appear.
How to enter BIOS settings from a laptop from the welcome screen?
The method is useful for Windows 8 and 10 owners with a locked logon. That is, you only have a welcome window asking you to enter the password, but you either forgot it or witnessed the consequences caused by malware or incorrectly installed drivers.
- Press the “Power” button and simultaneously hold Shift;
- A small window will open, click on Restart;
- Then we act in the same way as the above paragraph from our article.
How to sign in to the HP Pavilion G6
Let’s go into the BIOS on the HP Pavilion G6 in steps:
- Turn off the laptop or reboot.
- Enable, and at boot, when the black screen of the monitor is activated, press and hold the ESC button on the keyboard.
- Enter the start menu, where the embedded program will offer a choice of keys:
- F1. provides all the information about the HP Pavilion G6 laptop: type of processor, amount of RAM, etc.
- F2. A set of diagnostic programs. You can check the operation of the RAM, the status of the hard disk.
- F9. It is possible to select a device, DVD drive or flash drive from which the system will start.
- F10. Enter the settings of the BIOS itself.
- F11. System Restore.
Now it remains to press the F10 button on the keyboard. The BIOS of the HP Pavilion G6 laptop will open.
Shell developers specifically give the user the opportunity, even before starting the operating system, to do without Special Programs.
How to enter BIOS on HP all-in-one?
Turn on or restart your computer. While the monitor screen is blank, press the F10 key to open the BIOS options menu. On some computer models, you enter the BIOS settings menu by pressing the F2 or F6 key. After opening BIOS go to boot options.
How to disable UEFI HP in BIOS?
To disable Secure Boot on HP Notebooks Do the following: immediately when you turn on the laptop, press the Esc key, a menu should appear with the ability to enter BIOS settings by pressing the F10 key. In BIOS go to System Configuration tab and select Boot Options.
How to enable UEFI in BIOS?
There is also a traditional, well-known method to enter the BIOS (it is also suitable for UEFI). press the Delete key (for most PCs) or F2 (for most laptops) immediately when the computer is turned on, even before the OS starts to boot. Typically, the boot screen below displays the following message: Press Key_Name to enter setup.
How to enable UEFI on ASUS?
3 ways to enter BIOS / UEFI on ASUS laptops
- Turn off the laptop first;
- Then press the F2 button;
- Do not release the F2 button while turning on the device;
- F2 button Do not release until BIOS / UEFI main page appears.
How to enter the advanced BIOS on an HP laptop?
How do you get in? When turning on the laptop (to the boot screen), press ESC. After holding down the English “A” and Do not let go of it, press F10 several times without FN. A new tab “Advanced” should appear in the BIOS.
How to enable UEFI on HP?
Multiple BIOS entry options on HP
- F1. view system information;
- F2. diagnostics;
- F9. view the boot menu;
- F10. enter BIOS / UEFI settings (maybe what we need!)
- Enter. continue boot (Windows).
How will BIOS run on HP? How to switch from UEFI to BIOS?
Press the DELETE key (possibly F2) when the computer boots up and enter the UEFI-BIOS. Go to the “Security” section and, having found the “Secure Boot” parameter, switch it to the “Disabled” position. In order for the changes to take effect, press the F10 key and Confirm saving the changes by selecting “Yes”.
How to enter BIOS on HP Pavilion g6 laptop?
In order to enter the BIOS on the HP Pavilion G6-2283ER, you need to do the following:
- Turn off laptop
- Turn on and at boot, after a few seconds press the ESC key.
- A black screen will appear, on which the laptop will prompt you to make a choice. Press the F10 button.
- And voila, here’s the BIOS for the HP Pavilion G6-2283ER laptop.
Questions and answers in the field of it technologies and PC customization. How to enter BIOS on a laptop
For different laptop manufacturers, the procedure for entering the BIOS of a laptop may differ
For desktop computers, most often, manufacturers follow the traditional method of entering at the push of a button. And it’s not about the developer’s desire. Here, the command that is embedded in the BIOS chip is used, and the BIOS programs are written by other companies, for example, Award, AMI. That is why this question turns out to be standardized. The BIOS on a laptop is usually created by the computer manufacturer itself, not the motherboard, so there may already be differences here.
How to enter BIOS? Now, only a reaction can help, which will allow you to quickly press a key during the start of the computer and at the same time get to the moment when a prompt to enter the BIOS is displayed on the monitor screen, or you will have to search for the desired button by trial and error.
There is nothing dangerous in this technique. Even if some unknown program is launched, just turn off the laptop and turn it on again. You should NOT press the whole keyboard at once, because. In this case, even if the result is achieved, it will not be known which button worked.
The following buttons must be pressed: Del, F10, F11, F12, F1, F2, Esc, Tab. These buttons are most often used, perhaps because of the extreme position on the keyboard of the second buttons. How to enter the BIOS of a specific laptop model can be written on the manufacturer’s website.
How can I enter the BIOS of an HP laptop?
It’s good when the laptop works in a way that does NOT cause any complaints. Nevertheless, in the life of any computer, there are situations in which you have to resort to tuning, in particular, you may need to reconfigure the BIOS. If you look at any forum on setting up computers, there are constantly voiced questions about how to enter the BIOS of HP, ASUS and other manufacturers, this suggests that there are nuances in laptops related to this.
The BIOS is always entered at PC startup, as soon as an image appears on the monitor screen. And for this, a prompt is usually shown in the first few seconds after switching on. But the problem with modern laptops is that they start up so quickly that the user only has time to see the splash screen of the loaded Windows, and almost immediately the desktop appears.
Itguides.Ru. HP Notebook Features
HP notebook PCs have their own peculiarities of working with the BIOS subsystem (BIOS)
For HP notebook computers, several buttons are used to launch the BIOS at once. precisely, with their help, various programs built into the BIOS are launched, which, according to the manufacturer, may be needed most often.
The main among these launch buttons is Esc. After pressing it, a short menu will appear on the laptop screen, in which all possible options will be offered.
- F1. System Information. Information about the computer (such as which processor is installed, the amount of memory, hard drive, etc.).
- F2. System Diagnostics. Running programs written in the BIOS chip to check the stability of the RAM and hard disk surface.
- F9. Boot Device Option. Boot device selection. To do this, there is absolutely no need to run the BIOS setup program, just select from the list the drive or drive from which you want to start the system.
- F10. BIOS Setup. Directly launching the BIOS setup utility.
- F11. System Recovery. Launch Windows recovery program.
This set of programs allows you to do without starting the setup program, because A password can be set on it, which is much more difficult to reset in a laptop than in a system unit. After all, there is no such easy access to the jumpers on the motherboard, and you have to be content with the buttons on the keyboard.
All operations displayed on separate keys represent a well-thought-out complex of programs for diagnostics and computer settings. If you need to reinstall Windows, just make a bootable CD during installation. If the system suddenly fails during setup, then you can check the most important components. these are the RAM modules and the hard drive. You can also simply restore the system from a backup previously saved on the hide partition of your hard drive.
Check out the other startup options before entering Setup. Perhaps they will help solve all the problems without in-depth study of BIOS.
Thank me, share the link with your friends on social networks:
Stage 1: Preparation
This stage involves obtaining all the necessary information on the laptop and downloading files for updating. The only caveat is the fact that in addition to data such as the full name of the laptop motherboard and the current BIOS version, you also need to find out a special serial number that is assigned to each HP product. You can find it in the documentation for the laptop.
If you have lost documents for a laptop, then try looking for the number on the back of the case. Usually it is located opposite the inscription “Product No.” and / or “Serial No.”. On the official HP website, when looking for updates for the BIOS, you can use the hint where to find the serial number of the device. Also on modern laptops from this manufacturer, you can use the FnEsc or CtrlAltS key combinations. After that, a window with basic information about the product should appear. Look for terms with the following names “Product number”, “Product No.” and “Serial No.”.
The rest of the characteristics can be found using both standard Windows methods and third-party software. In this case, it will be much easier to use the AIDA64 program. It is paid, but there is a demonstrative free period. The software has a wide range of functions for viewing information about the PC and conducting various tests of its functions. The interface is quite simple and translated into Russian. The instruction for this program looks like this:
- After starting, the main window will open, from where you need to go to the “Motherboard”. You can also do this using the navigation menu on the left side of the window.
- Similarly, go to “BIOS”.
- Find the terms “BIOS Manufacturer” and “BIOS Version”. Information regarding the current version will be located opposite them. It needs to be saved as it may be required to create a crash copy that will be needed for Rollback.
Also on the official HP website it is recommended to find out the full name of your processor, as it may also be needed when searching. To do this, go to the “Central Bank” tab and find the line “CPU # 1” there. The full name of the processor should be written here. Save it somewhere.
When all the data will be from the official HP website. This is done as follows:
- On the site go to “Software and drivers”. This item is in one of the top menus.
- In the window where you are asked for the product number, enter it.
It is also recommended to read the review for the downloaded BIOS version by clicking on the link of the same name. There it should be written which motherboards and processors it is compatible with. If the list of compatible ones includes your central processor and motherboard, then you can safely download.
Depending on which flashing option you choose, you may need the following:
- Removable media formatted in FAT32. It is recommended to use a USB flash drive or CD / DVD as a medium;
- A special BIOS installation file that will update from under Windows.
Stage 2: Flashing
Flashing by the standard method for HP looks a little different than for laptops from other manufacturers, since they usually have a special utility integrated in the BIOS that, when booted from a flash drive with BIOS files, starts updating.
HP has such a comment, so the user has to create special installation flash drives and follow the standard instructions. On the official website of the company, when you download BIOS files, a special utility is downloaded along with them, which helps to prepare a USB flash drive for updating.
The following tutorial will allow you to create the correct image for updating from the standard interface:
- Find SP (version number). Exe in the downloaded files. Run it.
- A welcome window will open, in which click “Next”. In the next window, you will have to read the terms of the agreement, check the item “I accept the terms in the license agreement” and click “Next”.
Now the utility itself will open, where, again, there will initially be a window with basic information. Scroll through it using the “Next” button.
Next, you will be asked to select an update option. In this case, you need to create a USB flash drive, so I mark the “Create Recovery USB flash drive” item with a marker. Click “Next” to go to the next step.
Here you need to select the medium where you want to record the image. Usually there is only one. Select it and click “Next”.
Now you can proceed directly to the update:
- Restart your computer and enter BIOS instead of removing the media. You can use the keys from F2 to F12 or Delete to enter (the exact key depends on the specific model).
- In the BIOS, you only need to prioritize the computer boot. By default, it boots from the Hard Drive, and you need to make it boot from your media. Once you’ve done that, save your changes and exit the BIOS.
Now the computer will boot from the flash drive and ask you what you need to do with it, select the “Firmware management” item.
This will open a utility that looks like a regular installer. In the main window you will be offered three options, select “BIOS Update”.
At this step, you need to select the “Select BIOS Image to Apply” item, that is, the version to update.
After that, you will find yourself in a kind of file explorer, where you need to go to a folder with one of the names. “BIOSUpdate”, “Current”, “New”, “Previous”. In new versions of the utility, this item can usually be skipped, since you will already be offered the necessary files to choose from.
Updates BIOS on HP laptop
The BIOS hasn’t undergone so many changes compared to its first variations, but for a convenient PC use it is sometimes necessary to update this basic component. On laptops and computers (including those from HP), the update process does NOT differ in any specific features.
Updating the BIOS on an HP laptop is a little more complicated than on second-hand laptops, since a special utility is NOT built into the BIOS that, when launched from a bootable USB flash drive, would start the update procedure. Therefore, the user will have to carry out special training or update using a specially developed program for Windows.
The second option is more convenient, but if the OS does not start when you turn on the laptop, then you will have to abandon it. Likewise, if there is no internet connection or it is unstable.
Updating from Windows
Updating through the operating system is recommended by the PC manufacturer itself, since it is done in just a few clicks, and the quality is NOT inferior to that which is done in the usual interface. Everything you need is downloaded along with the update files, so the user does not have to search somewhere and separately download a special utility.
The instructions for updating the BIOS on HP notebooks under Windows are as follows:
- Find the SP (version number).Exe file among the files downloaded from the official website and run it.
- The installer opens, where you need to scroll through the window with basic information, clicked “Next”, read and accept the license agreement (check the box “I accept the terms in the license agreement”).
Another window with general information will appear. Scroll through it by clicking “Next”.
Now you will be taken to a window where you need to select Further actions for the system. In this case, mark the “Update” item and click “Next”.
During the update via Windows, the laptop may behave strangely, for example, spontaneously reboot, turn on and off the screen and / or the backlight of various indicators. According to the manufacturer, such oddities are normal, so there is no need to hinder the update in any way. Otherwise, you disrupt the laptop.
Updating the BIOS on HP laptops is easy enough. If your OS starts normally, then you may fear to do this procedure directly from it, but you need to connect the laptop to an uninterruptible power supply.