Recovery from Windows
If the settings previously made on the computer did not bring any critical changes, then you can restore Windows to the time when the OS was working normally. In this case, user data will practically not be affected, and some settings will be reset.
This option is universal for many system problems, not only on Acer laptops, but on many others as well. To restore Windows, your computer must have a Restore Point. However, it is not always done by the OS, and even more so the user forgets about it. You can use the Windows installation image as an alternative to the Recovery Points. It must fully match the version of Windows that is currently installed on the computer.
Let’s look at how to restore Windows settings on an Acer laptop using the installation image:
- Insert the USB stick with the image into the USB connector and restart the computer. Immediately after the boot starts (before the Windows logo appears), press the Esc key. A menu will appear where you need to select your USB flash drive from the options presented.
- A window for selecting the language and keyboard layout will appear. Specify the parameters that are most convenient for you.
Next, click on the inscription “System Restore”, which is located in the lower left part of the window.
Regardless of the operating system, the Recovery utility will be installed on the laptop, which allows you to restore the computer. Depending on the laptop model and the BIOS version on it, the utility can restore the settings both with the complete removal of data from the system, and with their preservation.
It is also important to note the fact that this utility can only be used in cases where the device has not previously formatted the hard disk, and the OS has not been reinstalled. Otherwise, when executing this option, you may have problems.
First you need to activate the Recovery utility in the laptop BIOS:
- Restart your computer and enter BIOS. Login is performed before the operating system is fully loaded using the Delete or F2-F12 keys. Also, sometimes there can be a combination of CtrlF2, CtrlF8, etc.
- In the BIOS interface, control is performed using the arrow keys and the Enter key. In the top menu, select “Main”.
Now you can use the built-in recovery utility:
- While the laptop is rebooting, call the utility interface using the F9 or F8 key.
In the window with the choice of action, use the “Diagnostics” parameter.
A list with possible actions will open. There should be an item “Reset the computer to its original state”.
A warning appears stating that the computer will be reset to factory settings, but that the user files will be deleted. If you agree, then click “Next”.
In the last window, use the “Reset” or “Reset” button. The further process will be performed automatically. However, you may still need minimal participation in changing some parameters and setting new settings.
The main disadvantage of the considered option is the fact that everything with the settings will be deleted user data from the local Windows disk.
You may additionally need to roll back the BIOS settings, but this is already a topic for a separate article.
Restoring factory settings on an Acer laptop
The Acer laptop has all the options to reset the settings to the factory state. In total, there are several available ways to return to the manufacturer’s settings, which will be discussed in this article.
How to restore settings on an Acer laptop
There are three recovery options that can be performed depending on the previously made changes. In all cases, user data stored on the computer may be lost, so take care to save it to a third-party media in advance.
On some laptops, a special utility from Acer may be installed, which allows you to perform certain actions with the computer, for example, create backups of the operating system, as well as perform factory reset and other tasks. You can use the program only in cases when the operating system boots relatively normally or if it is possible to run it in “Safe Mode“.
- Open the Acer eRecovery Management software using any convenient means. For example, in Windows 7, you can start it by clicking on “Start” and finding the folder “Acer eRecovery Management”.
- In the utility window that opens, click on the “Restore” item, which is located on the left side of the interface.
- Here, among all the options, select “Restore factory settings of the operating system.” Note that this option not only implies a factory reset, but also deletes user data from the local C drive.
- A window will appear where you need to select the “Yes” option if you want to continue. After that click on the “Start” button.
This article has covered all the available options for a factory reset on an Acer laptop. If you have any questions and suggestions for the article, then write them in the comments.
How to reset Acer from BIOS?
Turn on the laptop and press “ALT F10” when its logo appears until it responds to your work.
It will then boot into a blue screen that says, “Choose an option.” Select “Troubleshoot” to continue.
On the next screen click on “Reset this PC”.
Select files to delete and proceed with Acer hard reset.
The laptop will also reboot several times during the whole process and finally settings are necessary.
How to bypass BIOS
There is a way that allows you to do without bios, but it does not always work.
- When the laptop turns on, use the keyboard shortcut ALT and F10.
- Most likely, the system will ask you to enter a password. It all depends on whether the laptop was reset before. If you are performing this procedure for the first time, the password is standard. six zeros. If the settings were already reset, they could set a new password.
- Then we do everything, as in the previous method.
Note! In the process of returning to the standard settings of the laptop, all data contained on the system disk is also reset. But this must be done in order to completely correct the problem that has arisen.
How to restore acer laptop to factory settings
There are several ways to do to reset Acer to factory settings, both in Windows itself and using the BIOS. During this process, make sure your laptop is plugged into a wall outlet and unplugged from other drives. Review of the new smartphone ZenFone AR.
Reset Acer settings without deleting personal data
Refresh option restores Windows without deleting your personal files or custom Windows settings. Do the same as in the video despite the fact that it is in English.
Installed apps and programs outside of the Windows Store are not saved.
- Select “Customized recovery” (“Save user data”) and click “Next”.
- Select “Refresh” and click “Reset”.
Resetting Acer using the Recovery Management utility
Acer Recovery Management. Acer ARM factory reset utility has options to reset your computer with or without erasing personal data.
Click Windows-Q, enter Recovery, and then select Acer Recovery Management from the search results. For Windows 7, search for “Acer Recovery Management”. If you are prompted to allow the program, select “Yes”.
Cases in which a laptop needs to be reset to factory settings
Regardless of the reasons for which you needed to roll back the laptop settings, there are two options for the situation:
- the laptop is working properly and the system boots by itself. In such a situation, it is possible to simply run the factory restore program if the operating system is functioning;
- the system refuses to boot. That is, the laptop does not turn on completely. At the same time, various errors pop up on the blue screen.
Note! If you do not want to lose files stored on your hard drive, copy them to external media or cloud storage in advance before proceeding with the process of rolling back your laptop to the original system settings.
A recovery partition is a partition on your computer’s hard drive that contains reinstallation data. How to hard reset Xiaomi?
In some situations, it becomes necessary to reset the laptop to factory settings. For laptops of different models, this can be done in different ways. Consider How to Factory Reset Acer Laptop.
The first option is to use a troubleshooter. A dialog screen appears if the device for some reason shut down incorrectly. You can force this option by simply turning off the laptop using the power button. The next time you turn it on, a dialog box appears asking you to select “Troubleshoot”. You can also call this menu if you press the F8 button before loading the OS by selecting “Additional boot options”.
A dialog box titled “System Recovery Options” will open. Here you need to choose the option that suits more, for example, “Startup Repair” or “System Restore”. Following the prompts of the utility, you can restore the laptop to factory settings. The method will not work if the required files are missing or damaged.
The second option is to boot from the system image, but in the options offered, select not “Full installation”, but “Restore Windows functionality”. The setup wizard is slightly different, but it also performs all operations in an automatic mode. In this case, the last working state of the OS will be restored. until the moment when “lags” and “glitches” have not yet appeared. In both cases, depending on the power of the device, in order to reset all settings, it may take up to half an hour.
HP laptop factory settings
To restore factory settings on a laptop of this brand, turn it off, and also remove the disc from the optical drive, flash drive from USB ports and card reader and disconnect all peripheral devices.
The laptop is reset using the following algorithm:
- After pressing the power button, you need to hold the F11 button until the boot window of the proprietary Recovery Manager utility appears.
- Select the System Recovery option.
- A dialog box will appear, which will offer to save the data that the user is working with. Convenient if he forgot to do it.
The utility also works in automatic mode, so the intervention of the owner of the device is not required. Restart may be required, in some cases repeatedly.
Acer laptop factory settings
To return the Acer laptop to the factory settings, you must first turn it off. After turning it on, hold down the Alt button, pressing F10 several times. once a second, until the system asks for a password. If no changes have been made, the default is the default factory default password. To reset the settings. six zeros. In the dialog box that opens after this, you need to select the Factory Reset option.
In notebooks of this brand, a factory reset is possible using the eRecovery Management utility. If it is not installed, then you can download the application on the official Acer website. The required function is located in the “System Restore” section.
How to restore a laptop to factory settings
Many users need to restore factory settings on a laptop in order to restore it to work: the device freezes, “glitches”, runs slower than it can, and generally behaves somehow incorrectly. Usually, the reason for this work lies in the accumulated junk and “junk” files that prevent the operating system from functioning normally.
The mistake of a novice user is that, when such problems arise, he hurries to reinstall the operating system, adding an extra “headache” to himself. You will also have to install all the necessary software and perform some Windows settings. However, there is a much simpler solution. to return the laptop to factory settings, thereby making the device work normally. In this tutorial, let’s look at how to perform a factory reset on laptops of different brands.
Factory Reset Dell Laptop
After turning on the device, you need to press and hold the F8 button until the “Advanced Boot Options” window appears. Then we act according to the following algorithm:
- Select “Troubleshoot”.
- In the “Recovery Options” window, assign a more convenient system language and keyboard layout.
- Then select the user from whose account the system restore will be performed.
- In the next dialog, select the Dell DataSafe Rectore utility.
Then follow the prompts of the Restore Wizard by selecting “Restore factory settings from checkpoint”. Using the same utility, you can not do a full reset, but restore the last working OS configuration.
Factory reset your Toshiba laptop
To reset such a laptop to factory settings, you need to run the preinstalled utility. What you need to do:
- Turn off device.
- When turned on, hold 0 on the digital block to the right.
- When a squeak appears, release the button.
Further. you need to follow the prompts of the program, agreeing with all the questions. As in the previous cases, the recovery is fully automatic.
In this version of Windows, a utility to reset the laptop to factory settings is included in the base software package. Keep in mind that you can also use the same methods as in the case of the “Seven”. restore settings through additional boot options or using the Windows installation disk.
In order to use the basic utility, you need to do the following:
- Move the cursor from top to bottom on the right side of the screen to display the service menu.
- Select the item parameters. the cogwheel icon at the very bottom.
- Go to the “Change computer settings” section.
- Select “Update and Recovery”.
- Choose the option that suits you. Lossless Recovery, Complete Windows Reinstall, or Custom Boot Options.
In fact, recovery without data loss is not a reset, as it restores information from the last checkpoint. In our case, you need to choose the second option. that is, completely reinstall the OS. The system will recover if the hidden partition containing the necessary files has not been removed.
After you click the “Start” button, the System Restore Wizard will start. Follow his prompts by responding to the dialog pop-up messages. After the factory reset, the computer will restart and you will get Windows as it was after you bought the laptop. You may need to install missing drivers yourself.
ASUS laptop factory settings
To reset a laptop of this brand to factory settings, the manufacturer has created a special utility. Instructions for using it:
- Go to BIOS and disable the fast boot option (called Boot Booster). To do this, before loading the operating system, press the F2 button. The required option is in the Boot section. The Boot Booster parameter must be assigned the Disabled attribute by selecting it with the Enter button and the required option in the drop-down list. Before starting the laptop, you need to save the changes using the F10 button.
- Before rebooting, to do a factory reset, you need to hold down the F9 key. The loading screen should be activated.
- After the utility prepares the files necessary for recovery, you will be asked whether you really want to return the laptop to factory settings.
- The operating system recovery process is automatic without user intervention. At this time, the laptop should reboot several times. All that remains is to wait for the automatic update of all the necessary drivers or install them yourself.
Reset Windows 8 and 8.1 settings
In this manual, there are several ways to reset Windows 8 settings, while in addition to the reset options provided by the system itself, I will describe a couple more that can help if, for example, the system does not start.
The procedure itself can come in handy if the computer begins to behave strangely, and you assume that this was the result of the last actions on it (setting up, installing programs) or, as Microsoft writes, you want to prepare your laptop or computer for sale in a clean state.
How to reset Windows to factory settings if the system won’t start
Computers and laptops with Windows 8 preinstalled have the ability to start a factory restore even in cases where the system cannot be started (but the hard drive is healthy).
This is done by pressing or holding certain keys immediately after switching on. The keys themselves differ from brand to brand and information about them can be found in the instructions specific to your model or simply on the Internet. I also collected common combinations in the article How to reset a laptop to factory settings (many of them are also suitable for stationary PCs).
Reset by changing computer settings
The first and easiest way is to use the factory reset feature implemented in Windows 8 and 8.1 itself. In order to use it, open the panel on the right, select “Settings”, and then. “Change computer settings.” All further screenshots and descriptions of items will be from Windows 8.1 and, if I’m not mistaken, they were slightly different in the original eight, but it will be easy to find them there too.
In the open “Computer Settings” select “Update and Recovery”, and in it. Restore.
The following options will be available to you to choose:
- Recovering your computer without deleting files
- Remove all data and reinstall Windows
- Special boot options (not covered in this guide, but the first two reset items can also be accessed from the special options menu).
Selecting the second item completely reinstalls the system from the recovery partition, returning the computer to factory settings. With this procedure, if your hard drive is divided into several partitions, it is possible to leave non-system intact and save important data on them.
- When performing a reset by any of these methods, the recovery partition is standardly used, which is on all PCs and laptops with preinstalled Windows.In case you installed the system yourself, a reset is also possible, but you will need the distribution kit of the installed system from which the files for recovery will be taken.
- If the computer was preinstalled with Windows 8, which was later updated to Windows 8.1, then after a system reset, you will receive the original version, which will need to be updated again.
- Additionally, you may need to enter your product key during these steps.
Using a restore point
I wrote in great detail about working with these tools, how to create, select and use them in the Windows 8 and Windows 7 Restore Point guide.
Well, there is one more reset method that I do not recommend using, but users who know what is what and why it is needed can be reminded of it: creating a new Windows user, for which the settings, with the exception of the global system settings, will be recreated.
Distribution of new, sometimes interesting and useful materials from the remontka.pro website. No ads and free computer help for subscribers from the author. Other subscription methods (VK, Odnoklassniki, Telegram., YouTube, Yandex.Dzen)
Hello! When restoring without deleting files, nothing will be deleted from the D drive either? and if I transfer my self-installed programs to the D drive, will they not be deleted from there? thanks in advance!
Will not be deleted. But: most likely they will not work, because as the programs are installed, they not only write their data to Program Files, but also to system folders.
I can not return to the factory settings, asks for an installation disk, his skill was not originally how to be.
You can do it yourself from the original image in the same edition of Windows as installed. For example, using the official utility on the Microsoft website.
Create a bootable USB flash drive or disk with the same system that is installed on your computer.
After clicking “Start” (in both options), the system requires installation or recovery media. I insert a bootable USB flash drive (created by WinSetupFromUSB from an ISO downloaded by MediaCreatinTool, the same version and bit depth as the installed OS), and the system writes: an invalid media is inserted. The same reaction to the recovery disc. Advise what to do.
Hello. Create a USB flash drive with Windows of your version and edition, but using the official Microsoft utility from here microsoft.com/ru-ru/software-download/windows8 (i.e., do not download the ISO in the Media Creation Tool, but create an installation drive directly from it)
The second option: boot yourself from the USB flash drive that you already have (be sure in the same mode, I assume that the EFI in which the system is running), and in the installer, after choosing the language, on the screen with the “start” button at the bottom left, click “System restore”. then there will be a reset option.
Dmitry, thank you very much! Everything turned out successfully according to the first option, although it is not clear.
From a bootable USB flash drive created in WinSetupFromUSB, I have installed Windows and Linux more than once without problems.
Nothing is saved in my C disk, the files that I copy there just disappear what to do?
I don’t know why this might be so. In other places, the?