Instructions for restarting the computer from the keyboard
In the event of a hardware failure due to a system failure, restarting the computer can sometimes be very difficult (the mouse or touchpad on the laptop may not respond). There are several ways to restart your computer using the keyboard, which will be discussed further.
In the event that the computer is only partially frozen (that is, some equipment, for example a mouse, responds to commands), you can restart using standard methods:
- in the lower left part of the screen, click on the “Start” menu icon or call it with the “Win” key;
- then select “Shutdown” at the bottom and click on the reboot item in the drop-down list.
- you need to type the desired combination on the keyboard;
- then a dialog box will appear, in which at the bottom on the right side you need to select “Shutdown options” and in the drop-down menu click “Restart”.
- first you need to type the combination “AltF4”;
- then the window “Shutdown Windows” will appear;
- then you need to activate the “Restart” mode.
What should I do if I forgot the password from the Wi-Fi router? The solution is here.
If your phone connects to WI-FI, but does not go online. Then read the article.
You can restart your computer using the “AltF4” shortcut.
To perform it in this way, you must sequentially perform the following steps:
- first you need to press the desired combination on the keyboard;
- then a small dialog box titled “Shut Down Windows” will appear on the screen. If during a crash the mouse does not respond to commands, then using the arrows on the keyboard “Up” or “Down” select the desired mode.
Lost the WI-FI router settings? It doesn’t matter, read what to do here?
How to restart your computer using the keyboard if it freezes
You can reboot the PC not only with the mouse, but also with the keyboard.
During operation, the PC may freeze, for example, due to lack of memory, in which resource-intensive applications simply lacks RAM. Another reason for freezing can be a system crash that occurs due to driver conflict, registry errors, or malfunctioning applications.
WinC (for Windows 8 / 8.1)
For those users who have the Windows 8 / 8.1 operating system, you can restart the computer using the keyboard with the combination “WinC”.
The procedure includes:
- dial the desired combination “WinC”;
- a side panel will drop out on the right side of the screen;
- on the side panel, select the “Parameters” item;
You can reboot not only using keyboard shortcuts, but also through the command line. This option is suitable for owners of operating systems Windows XP / Vista / 7/8 and 8.1.
To restart the system via the command line, you must perform a number of sequential actions:
- first, you need to invoke a command prompt window. This can be done in several ways;
- using the “WinR” combination, you need to open the “Run” window, where you need to enter the “cmd” command in an empty field;
The second option for restarting via the command line looks like this:
- first, you need to invoke a command prompt window. Calling methods have been described above;
- then enter the following command “ping.n 0 127.0.0.1nulwmic OS WHERE Primary =” True “Call Win32Shutdown 6” and press the “Enter” key.
The third method is suitable exclusively for the Windows XP operating system:
- first you need to call the command line;
- then enter the command “rundll32 user.exe, ExitWindowsExec 2” and press “Enter”.
This method is suitable for situations where the laptop is frozen but responds to keystrokes. Sometimes this works only after calling the “Task Manager” (see the method below). Open the “Start” menu with the Win key, use the Tab key to select the column in which the shutdown button is located, and use the up or down arrow on your keyboard to get to the shutdown section. The selected item is always framed with color, which will help you not to get confused in scrolling. When you reach the shutdown icon, press Enter and use the arrow to point to the Shutdown option. Confirm the action with the Enter key.
Shutting down the computer using ALT-F4
The easiest and safest way to shutdown your computer from the keyboard is the ALT-F4 key combination. Using this key combination, you can quickly close all open windows, and when there are no open windows, the operating system will prompt you to shut down. This shutdown method works the same on all versions of the Windows operating system, including Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 10.
After a window appears on the screen prompting you to shut down, it will be enough to press the ENTER key and the computer will turn off. If you do not want to turn off the computer, but for example, reboot or go to sleep mode, then using the arrows on the keyboard you can select one of the available shutdown methods and then press the ENTER key.
However, this method of shutting down the computer using the keyboard is not fast enough. You will have to spend time closing open windows and then hitting enter again. The following ways to shut down your computer using the keyboard will allow you to shut down much faster.
Turn off the laptop by closing the lid
Especially for laptops, there is an additional method for shutting down the operating system, but not using the keyboard, but after closing the lid. You can customize the laptop in this way using the following steps:
- Go to “Start” and go to “Power Management”, as shown in the screenshot
How to shutdown laptop, computer using keyboard shortcut keys
- You will be transferred to the power settings, select the item as shown in the picture
How to shutdown laptop, computer using keyboard shortcut keys
- Next, set the parameters as follows and click on “Save changes”
How to shutdown laptop, computer using keyboard shortcut keys
How to turn off a laptop using the keyboard
Some laptops have a shutdown and restart hotkey. There is also another way. You must simultaneously press the combination “FnAltF4”. In the window that appears, select the shutdown icon. If this combination does not work, then you should use the combination without the “Fn” key.
A small list should appear, from it you need to select the “Exit” option (to select the desired option, use the TAB and arrows on the keyboard).
Next, in the right corner of the screen, select the “Turn off” icon. press Enter on it and in the small list that appears, select the desired function (as a rule: reboot, shutdown and hibernation).
Approx. : also use arrows (. →, ←), TAB key and Enter (↵) to select an option.
Shutting down your computer from the Start menu
Another option for shutting down your computer using the keyboard is to use the Start menu. You can simply press the Windows key on your keyboard and, after opening the Start menu, activate the shutdown button by navigating through the menus using the arrow keys on your keyboard and the TAB button.
For example, in Windows 10, to turn off your PC, you just need to press the Windows key, the right arrow key, and Enter. In Windows 10, you will need to do a little more actions, but everything works about the same.
How to shutdown or restart a laptop using the keyboard
Good day everyone!
Sometimes it happens that the mouse stops working and the laptop does not see it (for example, after disconnecting / connecting it). Also, the cursor can often stop “moving” when the device freezes and malfunctions. In either case, the first thing that most power users recommend is to reboot.
And you have to perform this action using the keyboard (and, as I noticed, many are simply lost, and they themselves almost “freeze”, because they are so used to the mouse that they cannot imagine how without it).
Actually, in this short article I want to give several options for how you can turn off (or restart) a laptop (PC) using just a few keyboard shortcuts. I think the article will be useful to all novice users.
Remark: in one of the previous articles, I pointed out the main reasons why the mouse may not work. You might find it useful. https://ocomp.info/ne-rabotaet-myish-chto-delat.html
Shutting down the computer using the Shutdown command
If you wish, you can turn off the computer using the keyboard by executing the command “shutdown.s.t 00”. To do this, you can first open the “Command line” with the Win-R key combination and execute the command “shutdown.s.t 00” already in the command line.
Alternatively, you can execute the shutdown.s.t 00 command directly from the Run menu, which is opened with Win-R. Anyway, after executing this command, the system will shutdown immediately.
Using the “shutdown” command, you can shut down in different ways. Below we give a few examples of the main features of this command.
Making a shortcut on the desktop to reboot
This is quite convenient if you need to perform this operation as quickly as possible, by simply opening a shortcut.
Enter the following command in the object location field:
Click on Next and give a name to the new shortcut. Now, when you open it, the system will reboot.
Making our own keyboard shortcut
If you wish, you can set your own key combination, which will open this shortcut and, accordingly, restart the laptop.
Right click on it and open properties.
Click on the field in the shortcut block and set the keys you need. Now when you press them, the laptop will reboot.
Force restart laptop. on freeze
Use these methods if your laptop is frozen and does not respond to any taps or actions at all. Remember, if there were not saved documents, then they may be lost.
Hold the on / off button on the case for a few seconds. up to 15, wait until the screen turns off. Then turn on the device by pressing the same button.
If the first option does not work in any way, then everything can be done even easier. Take the battery out of the laptop for 15 seconds and then put it back in.
If the battery is non-removable, then near the place where it is located there should be a small button in the recess for interrupting the power supply, more often you need to press it with a paper clip (see the picture). Find it and also hold it for 15 seconds.
You can wait until the device is completely discharged so that it turns off completely by itself, and then just turn it on. But, it does not always work.
How to restart a laptop using the keyboard on Windows
There are several keyboard shortcuts to make restarting your laptop quickly and correctly. You need to press the buttons at the same time for them to work.
ALT F4. First, exit to the desktop, then press this key combination. A shutdown window will open, select the restart option. You can exit to the desktop by pressing WIN D at once.
CTRL ALT DEL. Immediately after you click these buttons, the account management page will open. At the bottom right, click on the shutdown icon and select the reboot option.
ALT X. In Windows 10 and 8, this combination opens a panel with frequently used OS functions. Hover the cursor over the completion item and perform the required operation.
WIN L. Opens the lock screen, press the Enter key or any other. On the next screen, click on the shutdown icon at the bottom right of the screen and select the required item.
How to restart a laptop correctly: all methods
Rebooting the laptop is necessary so that the operating system installed on it gets rid of unnecessary garbage, works without failures and is updated.
This is a very important function that must be done at least twice a month in order for Windows or another installed OS to always work quickly and stably.
Previous material was devoted to how to flip the screen on a laptop. Now you will learn all the ways how to quickly and most importantly simply reboot a laptop using the tools of the Windows 10, 8, 7 and earlier system, using the tools of the system itself, the keyboard or the button on the case.
How to restart a laptop in Windows
Let’s consider the fastest and easiest ways to do it on Windows 10, 7, 8 and earlier.
Right-click on the Windows icon in the taskbar, hover over the shutdown item and restart.
Click on the Windows icon in the taskbar with the left mouse button, hover over the shutdown icon and restart.
Press the WIN R keys on the keyboard at once, and in the window that opens, enter the command. shutdown / r. Click on OK and the system will be rebooted within a minute.
Press the WIN R keys on the keyboard at the same time, and in the window that opens, enter the command. slidetoshutdown. Swipe the mouse from top to bottom of the screen to restart the laptop.
Interesting! Hotkeys for restarting the system can be set yourself, read about this in the last chapter of this material.
As you can see, there are many ways to do this simple operation. Do it at least twice a month to keep the operating system running quickly and smoothly.
How to restart a laptop using the keyboard. All ways
Is your laptop freezing and your touchpad suddenly unresponsive? Not sure how to restart your device? Don’t be discouraged. you can do this with just your keyboard! Today we will show you how to restart your laptop using the keyboard.
Reboot with hotkeys
Windows provides many hot combinations for accessing operating system functions. One of them. AltF4. is used to complete the current task. It turns out that you can restart your laptop using the keyboard by pressing the hotkeys:
- Press AltF4. If you have a window active, it will close. Repeat the action until all open windows are closed.
- After completing the last active task, press AltF4 again: a small window will open in front of you to complete the work.
- Use the arrows to select Restart, highlight OK and press Enter.
How to restart a laptop using the keyboard
Another option for safely restarting a laptop using the keyboard offers an emergency menu:
- Press CtrlAltDelete to open the menu.
- Use the arrows or the Tab button to move the cursor to the lower right corner of the screen. to the small arrow next to the red OFF sign.
- Press Enter and in the drop-down menu that opens, select Restart.
How to restart laptop via command line
If for some reason the first 3 methods do not help, then you can try restarting the devices using the command line. For this:
- Call command line using WinR.
- Enter the shutdown / r command.
- Highlight OK and press Enter.
What would you do if the touchpad or mouse didn’t betray you? Of course, we would reboot the hanging device through the start menu! So what’s stopping you from doing the same with the keys?
We will consider the options for rebooting for Windows 7. The algorithm of actions for other operating systems is similar.
- Press the Windows key to open the laptop start menu.
- Use the Right Arrow (→) to open the Shutdown drop-down menu.
- Use the and buttons to highlight the Reboot line and press the Enter button.
Standard restart of the laptop via the Start menu
HP LAPTOP RESET AT FACTORY DEFAULTS | HP PAVILION | HOT KEYS
This is a natural way to reboot the device: the system is given a certain time to complete all active tasks, which eliminates the possibility of data loss or other problems.
How to restart your computer through the task manager
If the previous method did not suit you, then you can use the capabilities of the task manager, which can be useful in many cases. System freezes are no exception. To restart, follow these steps:
- Press the Ctrl Alt Del key combination at the same time. A menu will appear, which is used to change the user, but you can also use it to go to the task manager.
- Use the arrows on the keyboard to scroll to the desired item and confirm the operation with the Enter key. If the keyboard does not work in this menu, then the task manager can be accessed by an alternative key combination Ctrl Alt Del. This does not require any additional action. The Task Manager window will open immediately.
- Next, press Tab once and use Space (space is the longest key) to expand the window to full-size mode.
- If you have Windows 7 installed, then use the arrows to also scroll to the “Shutdown Options” item and in the list that opens, select “Restart”, and then press Enter.
How to force restart a laptop if it freezes
Restarting the device in some non-critical cases corrects the situation. The easiest way to force shutdown of the OS is to hold down the power button, which on a laptop is located above the keyboard block in the left or right corner. Sometimes it can be located on the side, next to the drive or various ports. On a stationary machine, the power button is located on the system unit. Depending on the manufacturer, it can also be located in different places: on top, on the front panel, on the side, and so on. It should be noted that this method is completely universal and suitable for all laptop models, be it Asus, Lenovo, Acer, HP or any other.
However, it is worth resorting to such a radical method only as a last resort, when the operating system is completely frozen and does not show any signs of life. Keep in mind that many data opened in programs may not be saved, so it is better to try less categorical methods, if it is, of course, possible.
How to restart a laptop via the “Start” key
This is the easiest way, since it does not require running the built-in utilities, which, during the incorrect operation of the operating system, can additionally load the hard disk and the processor. And if the laptop is very old, then saving component resources is very important. Therefore, it is worth starting with this method.
- Press the Win key on your keyboard. Located between Alt and Ctrl in the lower left corner. If the keyboard is gaming, then this key can be moved to another place. This is done so that during the gameplay, you do not accidentally press it and minimize all running applications.
- Using the arrows on the keyboard, scroll through the entire list of installed programs and get to the shutdown icon, which is at the very bottom. Depending on the operating system, this icon may be in a different column in the menu that opens. If the mouse or touchpad does not work, then press the Tab key (located on the left side of the keyboard between Shift and CapsLock) in order to switch to the adjacent column. It may take a few Tab presses to get to the desired column. It all depends on how your Start Menu is configured.
- Once the “Shutdown” item is selected, press the Enter key and select one of the offered options: reboot, shutdown, hibernation.
How to restart a Windows 8 laptop
In Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating systems, reboot is performed by a special restart command. Press the Win C keyboard shortcut and you will see a sidebar that contains Options. Traditionally, you need to select it using the arrows and confirm the selection with the Enter key. Next, you will see a familiar menu with several options. Here similarly select reboot and press Enter.
Laptop freezes: how to restart with ALTF4 keys
The last keyboard shortcut on our list that allows you to restart your computer without using a mouse. Works in all versions of Microsoft operating systems. To do this, follow these steps.
- Press Alt F4 at the same time. You will see a small menu offering several shutdown options: shutdown, reboot, hibernation.
- Select the desired option and confirm the action with the Enter key.
Laptop stuck: how to restart using command line
You can do almost anything with the command line. Including restart the system.
- Press the Win R key combination. A small field will open in which you need to enter the cmd.exe command. The dot at the end is unnecessary. If you put it, it will give an error.
- In the window that appears, enter the shutdown / r command and press Enter. The OS will reboot.
How to restart a laptop using the keyboard
System stuck and mouse or touchpad not responding? We tell you about the simplest hotkey combinations for safely restarting a laptop.
Computer freezing is a common problem that any user sooner or later faces. It happens that the OS slows down a lot due to a weak processor that cannot cope with a high load. But most often, system freezes are associated with a critical error that prevents Windows from functioning normally. However, very often the mouse or touchpad does not respond. In order not to resort to an emergency reboot, hot keys were invented. Depending on which combination you use, a specific system utility will be opened. There are several such utilities. With their help, using only the keyboard, you can safely reboot the device. Today we are going to show you how to restart your laptop using the keyboard. However, all these methods are suitable for stationary systems.
How to restart a laptop using the keyboard
This method of restarting the computer is great when the touchpad or mouse stops working due to system failures. That is, if you need to restore the laptop to work, but a normal reboot is impossible.
To restart the computer using the keyboard, proceed as follows:
- press the CtrlAltDelete buttons at the same time;
- in the window that appears, using the up and down buttons, move the emphasis to the icon symbolizing the inclusion, which is located in the lower right corner of the display;
- press the Enter key and select “Restart” from the pop-up menu.
If the problems were of a minor nature, then after restarting the laptop, the touchpad or mouse will work again as usual.
Using the keyboard shortcut CtrlAltDelete
The first way is to use the same keyboard shortcut CtrlAltDelete. We call the command, select the reboot command in the lower right part of the screen.
By the way, from this mode you can go to the task manager and try to stop the frozen program or game. In this case, you do not have to restart the laptop.
Reboot using the command line
A more advanced option for restarting a laptop is to use the command line. To use it, do the following:
- hold down WinR;
- in the window that opens, enter the shutdown / r command in the line and press Enter.
How to restart a laptop if it freezes
When freezing while running a program or game, the system often stops responding to commands given by the keyboard or touchpad / mouse. In order to fix the freeze, in some cases you just need to restart your computer. But how to do this if, unlike a stationary machine, there is no restart button on a laptop.
The simplest and at the same time the most common way with which you can restart your laptop is by accessing the Start menu (not available in Windows 8; instead, the operating system uses the so-called charms).
- use the touchpad or mouse to launch the “Start” menu;
- click on the arrow to the left of the “Shutdown” button to open an additional menu;
- select the line “Restart”.
- swipe the right edge of the screen from top to bottom with the mouse cursor (or with your finger if you have a touchscreen);
- in the panel that appears, click on the sign that shows a gear;
- then activate the “Shutdown” button;
- in the menu that opens, select “Restart”.
- click “Start”;
- in the panel that appears, click on “Shutdown”;
- from the pop-up menu select “Restart”.
How to restart a laptop
For the entire system to work correctly, a reboot is required when the installation of device drivers, as well as some programs and games is completed. In addition, the restart function helps to cope with all sorts of freezes and restores the computer’s performance in some cases. Let’s consider how to restart a laptop using various methods that are appropriate in a given situation.
Hold down the power button
If the previous option did not give results, then you will have to use an incorrect system shutdown. To do this, hold down the power button for a few seconds. After the laptop turns off, release the button and press it again.
If, when loading the operating system, a message appears on the screen stating that an abnormal termination has occurred, for further work select the normal boot mode using the up and down keys and press Enter.