How to make a stylus for your phone
New generation phones do not need to be poked with a pencil or stick in order to press a symbol, it is enough to touch them with your finger. the phone will react to heat. But not all fingers allow you to accurately press the symbol he needs, but the heat shield on a wand or pencil simply will not respond. In this video you will see how you can make a thermal stylus for your phone with your own hands.
Materials for making the stylus:. an ordinary helium pen;. a pen-pen;. a piece of foil in size, like a chocolate bar;. a small piece of sponge or washcloth;. a small piece of cellophane or cellophane bag.
We will use a helium pen for the case.
From the pen-pen, we only need an elastic band, the plastic itself can be thrown aside.
Let’s start assembling. The stylus sponge should be slightly damp, but not very wet.
If you’ve seen phone reviews before, you may have seen that a wet sponge passed over the glass left streaks on the display. So that there are no drops on the display, we will need a bag for this.
To begin with, we cut off a small piece of the bag and wrap a damp sponge in it so that there are no traces of stains on our screen. The sponge should be rolled into a tight circle.
We need to insert a sponge wrapped in a bag into an elastic band. After we have inserted the sponge, we need to push it with a regular rod to the second base. The sponge should be pushed slowly, the bag should be fully opened at this time, i.e. you will only push the sponge itself, and the bag will only envelop it.
A small ball should stick out of our gum (sponge in a bag).
Next, we need a piece of foil, it can be strengthened by folding it into a double layer. Ideally, the foil should be rolled into a small flagellum. Handle the foil with care. It must not be allowed to break. You can use not foil, but vinyl film or a paper clip.
Now we very carefully insert the foil into the elastic so that the foil touches the sponge. We should get a thin metal rod made of foil, which touches the sponge with one side, and with the other side it should envelop the walls of the handle. The part that will stick out from the elastic can be bent or cut.
Gently insert the handle itself into the gum, while the foil should go from the sponge to the side.
So we got a thermal stylus, which looks like an ordinary helium pen.
Foil will also work as a tip. But we will use it in a different way. You will need:
- an unnecessary pencil without an eraser. At least one end should be flat. a pencil sharpened on both sides will not work;
Place the pencil on a piece of foil and wrap it in three to four layers. Leave foil ponytails on both sides.
You should have ponytails on the sides.
This area will be used as a stylus tip
Done. This stylus is more accurate than the previous one. It is quite suitable even for drawing on a smartphone (not as accurate as with a pencil or a pen on paper, but still). If the stylus works every other time, flatten the tip even more by ironing it with your finger.
Why didn’t we wrap the pencil tip with foil? The fact is that capacitive screens react to current loss with a certain threshold. The small area of the tip would simply not give the desired result. the phone would not recognize such a touch.
Make a 2-minute stylus
The simplest but most effective method is to make a stylus from a cotton swab. In addition to the stick itself, you will need foil. Simply wrap the stick with foil and then wet the tip of the resulting stylus. Vata, soaked in water, will become a good conductor.
You can improve this stylus by making it longer. Now you will need more scissors and a pull-out handle:
- Remove the rod from the handle.
- Cut off one end of a cotton swab.
- Insert it with the cut end into the handle. The cotton tip will stick out like a long rod.
- Now wrap this whole structure in foil. Please note that you will have to hold the pen by the foil to use. do not wrap just the very tip.
- Dip the tip of a cotton swab in water.
If desired, for convenience, you can cut off the second end of the cotton swab and insert it into the handle, wrapping the entire structure on top with foil
When using this stylus, always touch the foil with your fingers. Moisten the tip periodically in water again if the touch response becomes unstable. This stylus is the most convenient to use, and the smartphone will react to it quite sensitively.
To adjust it for painting, squeeze the tip with your fingers to seal the cotton with foil. Repeat this periodically. over time, the cotton wool will again “blur” and become too soft for drawing.
For a capacitive display, we will definitely need a conductive material.
Types of touch screens
Before you start making a stylus, you need to know what type of screen your smartphone has: resistive or capacitive.
The resistive screen responds to the touch of any object. Its principle of operation is based on a thin and flexible membrane that sits on top of the display. When we click on it, it connects to the main part of the display. We will not go into technical details. what interests us is that the resistive screen responds to pressing with any object. This means that the resistive display stylus can have a tip of any solid material.
Resistive displays are now almost never used for smartphones and tablets. They have found application in e-books, projectors, PDAs. This is largely due to the fact that they do not tolerate low temperatures poorly. it is better not to go out into the cold with such a device.
The capacitive display only responds to touching conductive objects. Our finger is just that. The principle of operation of a capacitive display is also quite simple. A weak alternating current is applied to the display. Current leakage occurs when the display is touched by an object with conductive properties. The sensors record this and instantly calculate the coordinates of the touch. The stylus for such a screen must have an electrically conductive tip.
How do you determine the type of display? Very simple. take the pen cap and slide it across the screen. Reacts? So the display is resistive. Zero reaction? Capacitive.
Making a stylus with your own hands
Now let’s try to make a stylus from scrap materials.
We get a stylus like an expensive phone without spending a penny
Multifunctional styluses aren’t cheap. But in fact, these are not such complex devices (for the most part). Today we will make quite simple, but working styluses from scrap materials.
What is a stylus for??
A stylus is a small, bunched or pen-shaped writing wand that can be controlled by a computer graphics tablet or touch-sensitive devices. Today, a huge variety of these accessories are made, but you can make a stylus for iPad with your own hands.
- The accessory is very convenient when writing on the screen, because it is not very convenient to display symbols with your fingers
- To work with graphic editors, tables or diagrams, a stylus is a must, since small elements require high precision. This is why the stylus is the best tool for designers and artists.
- Using a stylus will make your screen less dirty
- If you think about hygiene, the stylus is much less likely to carry bacteria than dozens of hands touching the screen.
- Game lovers will find it much more convenient to use a stylus rather than fingers
- And, of course, for girls who wear long nails that prevent their fingertips from touching the screen, a stylus is the best solution.
Homemade stylus for iPad
By inventing the legendary iPhone, released back in 2007, Steve Job made a real revolution. controlling the phone became possible with your fingers! But why not use your usual stylus? The answer is simple: you take it out, then you take it away, then you take it out again, and, in the end, you lose it. Nevertheless, for some programs, primarily for drawing, this accessory is required. In this regard, we will consider the question of how to make a stylus for the iPad with your own hands and from handy materials.
Making a stylus. the way
The first method is the fastest and simplest, but the present invention will be disposable. The fact is that the salt water used in its construction will dry out quickly. Such an accessory will be quite enough for several hours, but after that it will need to be moistened in water.
To create such a device, you will need:
- Empty pen
- Insulating tape
- Scissors / threads
- Sanitary stick / cotton wool
This method is clearly shown in this
First, roll the foil into a tube and place the handle in the empty cavity so that the foil takes up all the space in it, sticking out a little. Then wrap the protruding piece of foil with a veil, securing it with thread, or insert half of the sanitary stick into the handle so that the soft tip sticks out.
Then, wrap foil over the entire handle and secure the material with duct tape. All parts of the accessory must be in close contact with each other.
In order for the device to work, you need to place the tip of the homemade stylus in salt water for a few seconds. We need salt water to conduct energy. Your stylus is now ready!
Making a stylus. the way
The second method will help you create a more durable stylus.
To invent it, you will need:
- A pen
- Protected wire
- A piece of polyethylene foam
First, remove the rod and all other parts from the handle, leaving only the tube. Cut off a piece of polyethylene foam so that it can fit in the handle, but still grip tightly. Cut a piece of shielded wire so long that it is 2-2.5 times longer than the handle. Free the part of the wire that extends beyond the length of the handle from the protective rubber (in simple words “strip” the wire).
Wrap the bare wire around half a piece of polyethylene foam. Insert the structure into the handle so that the free part of the polyethylene foam sticks out of the handle by a centimeter.
Now, in your stylus, one side of the pen is covered with polyethylene foam, and the other end of the wire sticks out from the other. Separate the protective rubber from the protruding end and coil the wire around the handle. Secure it with duct tape. Now smooth the end of your stylus a little, and it’s ready.!
If you like, you can make the stylus tip of any size. Thus, you will have the perfect tool for controlling iPad, and especially for drawing.
Our service offers the purchase of computer, digital and video equipment from Apple on the most favorable terms
Get professional advice from a licensed Apple technician now
All rights reserved, for any copying of the material, a link to the site ¶¶¶ is required. Aggle Service Center is a post-warranty (unauthorized) service center. The information presented on the site is not a public offer.
Moscow, avenue Vernadsky, 39, office 425 in the business center “Vernadsky”
Apple products, trademarks and registered marks are the property of Apple Inc.
You can make a stylus for a capacitive screen with your own hands in a slightly different way. For example:
- Take an aluminum tube, attach a piece of anti-static sponge to one of its ends, which can be found in chip boxes.
- You can build a stylus with your own hands from the same pen without a rod, replacing the cotton wool with paper, and foil. for metal packaging made of chocolate, coffee, tea, etc.
- Some users prefer to use a thin battery as a stylus, bringing its negative pole to the screen.
- You can use one anti-static film rolled into a tube, securing its shape with pieces of tape.
- Lightweight, non-scratching aluminum stick. also a good stylus. Only its head should not be too small, otherwise the screen simply will not “see” this object.
Do-it-yourself capacitive stylus assembly
- ballpoint pen;
- aluminum foil;
- cotton swab;
- scotch tape;
The assembly of a capacitive stylus looks like this:
- Remove the refill from the ballpoint pen.
- Cut off half of the cotton swab at a sharp angle. Insert it into the place of the rod in the handle with the cotton head outward.
- Fix the cotton swab in the handle with tape.
- Take a piece of foil and wrap it tightly around the handle, stepping back 1 cm from the cotton head.
- Secure the foil wrapper with a piece of tape. DIY stylus ready!
To use this device, you need to have a glass of water on hand. for optimal performance, the fleece will have to be moistened from time to time. The capacitive screen does not deteriorate from the moisture of the stylus. Also remember to keep your fingers on the foil at all times. this is necessary in order for static electricity to act on the display.
Resistive, capacitive and heat shield
If you are eager to make your own stylus, then first of all find out the type of touch screen of your device. this will directly affect the materials for your craft:
- Resistive screen. This type reacts to absolutely any touch. finger, sushi stick, pencil, etc. Choose what you like best and your stylus is ready!
- Capacitive screen. This touchscreen only reacts to the touch of conductive objects. Man, too, to some extent relates to them. our fingers, like ourselves, conduct electricity. This quality is possessed by all organic substances and creatures, as well as most metals.
- Heat shield. As the name implies, the display will only respond to the touch of an object that emits heat. That is why it is difficult for us to work with such screens in the conditions of Russian frosts.
DIY stylus for thermal and capacitive screen
The market of modern gadgets decided to remind us again of the already forgotten stylus. Branded “sticks” were recently presented by Apple; Samsung is releasing a line of S Pen styluses for its Galaxy Note product. Such a device is also convenient for those who like to draw on the screen of their smartphone or tablet. It is quite possible to make a stylus with your own hands quickly and without the use of expensive materials.
DIY thermal stylus assembly
- feather pen;
- gel pen with rubber band for fingers;
- a piece of foil;
- a piece of a dish sponge or washcloth;
- a piece of cellophane.
How to Make an iPad Stylus Pen Easy Tutorial | Toy Caboodle
- Leave the body only from the helium pen, and from the pen. gum.
- Dampen the sponge with water.
- To avoid streaking on the screen, wrap the sponge in cellophane.
- Now insert the cellophane-covered sponge into the handle. You can push it with the same helium rod, slowly. so as not to harm the bundle. As a result, only a sponge ball wrapped in a bag should be visible from the handle.
- Remove the finger elastic from the handle.
- Having folded a sheet of foil twice, twist a thin flagellum out of it.
- Place this foil rod so that one end touches the sponge and the other wraps around the body of the pen.
- Make several turns of the flagellum, put the elastic in place. The part of the foil that will stick out over the elastic can be cut off. Stylus made!
As you can see, make a stylus with your own hands. a pretty “cheap and angry” easy way, either for a thermal or for a capacitive screen. For a resistive display, any convenient handy item can be used as a stylus.