A USB cable is used to connect devices. The user can switch songs and adjust the sound through the radio menu. The USB connector allows you to supply power, so you can remove the cable connecting the tablet to the car’s electrical circuit.
How to connect a tablet to a car radio
Standard ports are used to connect the tablet to the host device. On some of the radio tape recorders, it will be necessary to manufacture converting blocks that provide signal transmission. The owner chooses the switching method at his own discretion based on an analysis of the capabilities of the head unit.
Wireless transmission requires pairing the tablet and radio together. The advantage of this method is the reduction in the number of patch cables and the ability to manage playlists from the main device menu. Here is the only cable used to power the equipment.
Advantages and disadvantages
The advantages of using the tablet as the main device of the car:
- Show additional information (visual effects or equalizer graph) when playing music;
- Ability to choose the appearance of the interface;
- There are additional programs and functions (for example, a navigation system with display of traffic jams or installation locations of speed control devices)
- Function of playing music content via the Internet.
Disadvantages of the radio from the tablet, noted by the users of the equipment:
- The need to find a place for placing and installing additional brackets;
- When installing the device in place of the standard equipment, the instrument panel must be revised;
- The appearance of the tablet does not fit into the interior of the car;
- Requires connection of additional power circuits and patch cords.
Installing the tablet step by step
Algorithm for installing the tablet in the car:
- Before you put a tablet instead of music, you need to fit the adapter frame, which will fit instead of a 2 DIN radio. If the equipment is installed in addition to the player, then modification is NOT required.
- Conduct power supply from the fuse box or from standard blocks. Connect the cord to the connector on the tablet.
- Connect the pre-routed cables from the amplifier unit.
- Test system performance.
Choosing a seat and holder
Many owners install a tablet instead of a radio tape recorder on the floor of the main device screen, mounting a bracket on suction cups to the dashboard. To increase the reliability of fixation, it is allowed to install a transitional element on screws, which are screwed into a plastic frame. Before screwing, dismantle the elements, and then make sure there are no electrical wiring or air ducts under the location of the lining. The bracket can also be fixed on the grille of the central deflector of the ventilation and heating system.
It is allowed to mount the tablet in the car on the lower part of the windshield or on the overhead console. The disadvantage of this method is the reduced field of view, since the tablet computer covers part of the windshield. If the tablet is intended for passengers in the rear row of seats, the equipment is strapped to the headrest of the driver’s or passenger’s seat. There are special ready-made solutions that allow you to integrate the tablet screen into the headrest body.
Instructions for connecting a tablet through an amplifier.
First you need to remove the head unit (use the repair manual for your car), then prepare the wiring for connecting the amplifier and tablet. They can be connected through the wiring of the cigarette lighter or radio, but this will not be entirely correct and may lead to a short circuit. Therefore, we will pull the wiring for the amplifier from the battery. Important: Be sure to install a fuse on the cable through which the plus will pass, as close as possible to the battery Using a waterproof case for fuses.
To route the cable from the engine compartment, it is necessary to make a small hole in the wall between the passenger compartment and the engine compartment, if such a hole already exists, it should be used. In any case, be sure to use a rubber sleeve to prevent rubbing of the wire insulation against the metal.
I had a hole in my car near the central tunnel through it, and a cable was pulled to the amplifier installed under the seat.
To connect the acoustics to the amplifier, I recommend using an adapter, such as in the photo, it will save you the need to cut and then solder the wires, so that it is clear where which cable is Use scotch tape and paper with marks.
Here is the amplifier output two cables to the audio adapter.
To connect a tablet, you need a stereo mini cable for RCA (do not take Chinese for two rubles, the sound quality depends on them), it is also recommended to make shielding of the audio circuit
Which tablet to choose
Before purchasing a tablet for a car, the owner of the car must analyze the criteria for choosing equipment:
- The reliability of the product depends on the manufacturer. Some devices have an operating system and additional programs installed by default.
- The size of the screen, which affects how the tablet is installed in the car. It is recommended to purchase equipment with a display with a diagonal of 7 inches or higher.
- Monitor resolution. To display the video signal, it is necessary to use HD or FullHD compliant products. Additionally, the viewing angle of the monitor and the presence of an anti-reflective coating are analyzed, which allows viewing information in sunlight.
- The performance of the applied microprocessor and the volume of the built-in storage. It is recommended to purchase devices equipped with 2-4 GB of RAM and equipped with a solid state drive with a capacity of 16-32 GB.
- Possibility of Internet access and commutation with navigation satellites. The tablet navigator must support work with GPS and GLONASS satellites and be equipped with a slot for installing SIM cards of a mobile operator, which will allow you to receive information about traffic jams via the Internet.
- Built-in battery for use outside the vehicle.
The device is used to connect tablet equipment to an old-style radio tape recorder. The node is a block with a microprocessor and USB or AUX ports. External equipment is connected to the ports, the electronics of the unit converts the signal, which is transmitted to the amplifier of the Cassette player. The design of the module depends on the manufacturer and the characteristics of the cassette recorder.
Let’s say you’ve found a suitable location and set up your tablet computer on a tripod or in the radio cavity. The next task is to find power for the gadget. You probably won’t want to take the device home after every charge to replenish the battery. It will be great if the standard radio has a USB connector. Then you just need to connect the tablet with a USB cable to the dashboard.
Don’t you have such a connector? It’s okay, there are cigarette lighters in all models, even the oldest ones. You need to purchase a special adapter from the cigarette lighter to the USB cable of the tablet. You can also make it yourself if you have skills in working with electronics.
There is also a third option. connecting directly to the car’s power system. This method is chosen if the car owner does not plan to take the tablet out of the car. Charger contacts connect to car wiring.
IMPORTANT! It is not recommended to use a car battery voltage converter. Despite the fact that your gadget will be constantly charged, its battery will NOT last more than two months. Voltage surges are NOT allowed for such devices.
Most often, a 7-inch tablet is bought for a car. The compact device is charged using a 5V charger. The minimum amperage must be 2 Amperes.
Finding a place to install
The second option is more complicated, but also functional. you put the tablet computer in place of the radio. The advantage of this method is that the tablet will be securely fixed, the wires will not stick out.
How to make a car radio from a tablet
A car is appreciated primarily for its reliability and power, and not for its electronic filling. But as time goes on, the radio tape recorders resemble a full-fledged computer with a built-in navigator and player. Owners of older cars also want to upgrade their “steel horse”. And this can be done using a tablet, which will replace the car radio.
Here are some reasons to do this upgrade:
- It will be even more convenient to enjoy music, you can quickly switch between tracks, create playlists;
- While idle in traffic jams, you can play applications, watch videos or update your pages on the Internet;
- Full personalization. the tablet allows you to create an interface to your liking;
- When connected to the Internet, music and video can be played in real time.
As for the shortcomings, there are only two of them. The device needs to be securely fixed to the dashboard. this is an additional job for the driver. Careless installation can damage the wiring. If this does not bother you, then you can safely go to the instructions for installing the tablet instead of the radio.
There are several guidelines for choosing a car tablet that will be useful for you:
- On the gadget, the main buttons are located on the screen. easy control on the road.
- The diagonal of the screen does not have to exceed seven inches if you plan to put a tablet instead of a radio.
- It is worth giving preference to gadgets with 3G and GPS support. Such a device will replace your navigator.
- Pay attention to the design of the tablet computer. it should look harmoniously with other elements of the interior of your car.
We hope that our tips will help you install your tablet instead of a radio.!
The first question when installing: where to put the amplifier? It is not entirely reasonable and not always possible to put it in the trunk. The most rational solution is to hide the unit under the front passenger seat.
Installing the tablet instead of the radio is done in the following sequence:
- To route the wires to the battery, you will need to remove the cover from the operating panel. In many cars, there is a hole in it for access to the engine compartment. If there is none, then Armed with a drill with a drill, I correct this ill-conceived conveyor production.
- A rubber sleeve is applied to the hole. so that they do not fray during operation. The main thing is to choose the right size.
- The power cord of the amplifier is shorted to the battery. 2 wires from the amplifier are connected to the adapter, it is advisable to use the soldering method with heat shrinkage. in view of the greater reliability of the connection. The rest of the adapter ends are fed to the speakers.
- In the nest of the radio tape recorder, fasteners for the tablet are fixed using a sealant or epoxy resin. After the adhesive has dried, the device is mounted.
- Next, the tablet is connected using an RCA cable (red and white). On the fuse box, select a cable that does NOT supply voltage when the ignition is deactivated.
As you can see, it is not difficult to install a tablet in a car instead of a radio with your own hands. The main thing is to be careful and carefully insulate the wire connections.
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator at [email protected] to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.
Information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
To fully replace the car radio with a tablet, you need to properly connect the sound. Of course, you don’t have to bother and just sync over Wi-Fi. But if you want to transform the gadget into a real on-board computer, you should know some of the features of installing a tablet in a car instead of a radio with your own hands.
Features of connecting a tablet instead of a car radio.
Theory of connecting sound to a car through a tablet
The power amplifier takes an input signal, usually a preamp level signal. Although MP3 player, mobile phone, and tablet can directly control the amplifier (via the headphone jack), they are often connected to the amplifier using a gantry with auxiliary inputs, special iPhone-type inputs, USB data inputs, etc., and pre-outs. The Max line output voltage for some devices is about 1 VRMS and is standardized for Android headsets. There the maximum value is 150 mV at 32 ohms. To install a tablet in a car instead of a radio and amplify the sound signal, you need a goat or preamplifier with outputs, which have higher parameters (
2-4 B). Your amp will work anyway, but you probably will NOT be able to get the most out of it. Or in other words, the output of your device is lower than the input signal, which is usually required by an amplifier. At some point, you will have to improve the gadget, there will be problems with distortion, also more voltage passing through the wires can mean lower noise caused by the signal. Low voltage signal is more susceptible to “noise” and you will NOT be able to fully control the amplifier.
You need to install a 12v switch to turn the amplifier on and off (most drivers simply forget about this). And every time you connect directly to an amplifier via jack / RCA, you risk damaging your speakers if the amplifier is on. You also run the risk of draining your car battery every time you forget to turn off the amplifier. The ignition can also be used to turn on the amplifier, but this also has a negative effect on the speakers. Most people who have ever come across a DIY external amplifier are familiar with the voltage gain. the factor at which the amplifier actually amplifies the input signal from the source. This parameter alone can have significant implications for actual performance when the amplifier is first introduced into the system and can replace the tablet. A lack of understanding of the impact that different voltage amplification levels can have on your system may well be a prerequisite for poor sound from an external amplifier.
An amplifier has a fairly simple task: take a signal from an input voltage from source and “make it bigger.” Every 6 dB of gain is equal to a voltage doubling; as such, hypothetically, an amplifier with a voltage gain of 30 dB would increase the voltage by 2 to 5, or 32 times. The ideal voltage gain may vary depending on the preamplifier. Using source with poorly implemented preamp outputs can be a problem when connected to a high power amplifier with low voltage gain and high input sensitivity, which is the amount of voltage required from the preamplifier to provide full power amplification.
Suppose you need to install a tablet that can transmit 1 volt RMS from the preamp outputs; If you connect this unit with a powerful amplifier, you may be very disappointed if its voltage rise is below average. 27 dB. A gain of 27dB equates to a 22.6% voltage increase, which means our amplifier will produce 22.6V RMS or a whopping 64W into an 8 ohm load. Even if the amplifier is designed for 1000 watts, there will be no sound, since the device distorts the signal to the amplifiers, and a very high level of amplification will lead to malfunctions of the gadget. Choosing your hardware carefully can help you get the most out of your hardware.
All new cars are equipped with an additional audio jack. It is usually located on or near the radio. In some cars, such as the Honda CRV, it is located in the center console between the front right and left seats. Use a simple 3.5mm cable to connect your tablet. Change the mode to AUX and you can hear everything. Older cars may have a “secret” audio jack located on the radio. In the instructions, this information is often almost never mentioned, so Google is there to help. If you don’t like the idea of plugging the cable into the AUX jack every time you want to listen to music, you can purchase a Bluetooth receiver.
Methods for the implementation of the task
Installation of the tablet can be carried out using the holder. on the dashboard (dashboard), ceiling or glass. This is the simplest option, which does NOT require special skills and impressive cash costs. However, it has 2 serious drawbacks: unreliability (especially when it comes to holders with suction cups) and bulkiness, since the gadget will take up too much space, especially if it has a diagonal of more than 7 inches.
Due to the disadvantages listed above, it is recommended to install the tablet in the car instead of the radio (in other words, in its place). Such a procedure will require more time and financial costs, but the final result will definitely please. the device will sit “tightly”, and do not steal such valuable space next to the driver. It is on this option that we will stop.
If your car is old enough and has a cassette recorder, you can use a special adapter to play sound through stereo. Just insert it into the baking sheet and connect to the audio jack on your tablet. Done!
5 easy ways to connect your Android tablet to your car radio
There are several more ways to connect the tablet to the car radio. Which one you decide to use depends on the characteristics of your equipment.
How to make a car radio from a tablet
Many drivers are unhappy with the capabilities of the standard media system. functional models are expensive, so a very rational solution seems to be: use a tablet instead of a radio. Such a gadget costs from 3-4 thousand rubles, and its capabilities leave most media systems far behind.
If your radio supports Bluetooth connection, you can simply turn on Bluetooth on your tablet in Settings. Network Connections. Then make your Android “accessible” or “visible”. On the radio, turn on the search for devices, after which you will be asked to enter a PIN code. Once connected, you can enjoy playing all your music or make phone calls wirelessly.
If your car has a USB port, it is likely that the radio will play music through it. In addition to tracks, you can play music from a flash drive. Copy the music files to your device and then connect it with a USB cable. This method is usually NOT suitable for online music. Files Must be physically stored on the device’s internal memory. Also does not work for phone calls.
How to make a car radio from a tablet: a reliable option for good music in the car
Few cars can boast good music and entertainment systems. Standard devices, especially budget models, are more like props than a full-fledged and modern gadget. The reason for this is the desire of manufacturers to save on functions, and not related to the basic characteristics of the vehicle. There is logic in this, because there are many options to independently install a system with a sufficient set of functions. One of them is to use a regular tablet for THESE purposes.
Which tablet is right
Any tablet is suitable for use as a radio tape recorder. But for full use, it is advisable to choose a gadget that has the following functions:
- GPS module;
- Capacitive screen;
- Diverse communication capabilities (wi-fi, Bluetooth, SIM card)
- Radio module.
Why is it needed
The answer to the question lies on the surface. With the introduction of a tablet, you can create a full-fledged multimedia system in your car. And there are a lot of options for using it. In addition to listening to music and radio, you can use the gadget as a GPS-navigator, display the readings of the on-board computer, DVR, rear view camera. Additionally, you can fully use the Internet capabilities of the device, including receiving real-time information about traffic jams, repair work, and so on.
In addition, it will not be a problem to organize a speakerphone. In traffic jams or for passengers, you can watch clips, movies and any other video clips. And the use of specialized applications will even allow you to diagnose a car.
Pros and cons
In addition to the described functionality, using a tablet as a car multimedia system has a number of additional advantages:
- The cost of the device itself, the amplifier and the wires is incommensurably less than the cost of a head unit comparable in terms of capabilities. Even Chinese counterparts will cost several times more.
- Installing the tablet is not at all necessary in the place of the radio. You can think of a placement option in a more convenient location.
- You can use your old gadget, for example, with a planted battery.
- Tablet performance is higher than in specialized systems, so the operation will be more stable.
The main disadvantage is the difficulty of accurately fitting the device into the interior of the car, so that looking at the upgrade does not have the feeling of a “collective farm”.
How to install
Before installing the tablet as a radio, it is advisable to prepare the necessary tools and materials in advance. These include:
- Directly the device itself;
- Plastic letter to which the gadget will be attached;
- Electric drill or screwdriver with accessories;
- 2-3 Phillips screwdrivers;
- Adhesive or epoxy.
After that, you need to get the head unit. Take out battery power for tablet and amplifier. Fasten the plastic into the niche freed from the radio tape recorder, having previously adjusted it to size. Power wires are pulled through a hole in the plastic. At the end, the device and the amplifier are powered, after which it must be hidden, and the tablet must be attached to the plastic.
Of course, in practice, not everything is as smooth as in theory. Making a high-quality multimedia system from a tablet on your own will require certain skills and qualifications. But, as they say, the eyes are afraid, but the hands are doing. The main thing is not to rush and be careful.
The easiest way to use your tablet
In order not to be smart about connecting a gadget instead of a factory radio, many simply install the device on the floor of it. On the market you can find a huge number of suction cup holders, which makes it easy to make such a “tuning”. All that remains is to connect the tablet to the cigarette lighter and enjoy a modern device.
However, holders are unreliable, as the tablet can easily fall off and break when the car hits a bump. Therefore, many people decide to install it instead of the radio.
We replace the radio with a tablet (with the connection of an additional amplifier)
First of all, you need to choose the “right” gadget. There is no point in chasing too expensive items. However, the tablet must meet several requirements:
- It is best to choose a device that has many functions. It is important that it has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS navigation.
- If the availability of radio stations is fundamental, then it is better to give preference to models from little-known manufacturers. Larger companies have long abandoned this module.
- The tablet must be able to connect a SIM card. In this case, you will be able to configure the navigator and the problem with the radio will disappear. You can listen to any stations via the Internet, do not worry about interference.
- It is better that the product has a separate input for power, so that you do not have to completely shovel the tablet and organize it yourself.
- The screen of the device must be capacitive. Resistor models are more “sharpened” for the stylus, so they respond worse to finger pressing.
After that, you can proceed to the direct installation. To do this, you need to prepare:
- An electric drill and a set of drills for it, a soldering iron and several Phillips screwdrivers.
- Plastic sheet with a thickness of about 5 mm (its dimensions will depend on the size of the “seat”).
- External audio amplifier for cars.
- A piece of power cable (connect a fuse to it).
- Speaker wires and mini RCA cables.
- Adapter AZ-FM.
After that, we perform the following manipulations:
- We organize food for the “amp” and the tablet itself. To do this, we pull from them the cable with the fuse installed on it to the battery and connect it to one of the Terminals.
- By drilling a small hole in the engine compartment for the cable (it should be slightly larger than the wire). We insert a rubber sleeve inside (so that it is not frayed and closed).
- Output the cable to the passenger compartment and connect it to the amplifiers (it is most convenient to place the “amp” under the driver’s seat, and hide the wires under the rug).
- The output from the amplifier to the adapter is two cables and feeds mini cables for RCA to the tablet itself.
- We take out the head unit (the dismantling process may differ depending on the model, so it is better to find instructions from the car).
- We measure the hole in which the old “tape recorder” was located and add 1 cm for future use. Cut out the plastic letter to size and set it in an empty niche. We fix the plastic with epoxy (it is best that the letter is attached at least 6 points).
- In the center of the drill sheet, a hole for the power cable and for smaller audio cables.
- We paint the plate in the color of the dashboard.
- We install holders in the corners of the niche (you can use the corners from any tablet tripod), fix them using the same epoxy.
Helpful! Since the tablet is large, it is best to place it as high as possible. Then you DO NOT have to bend over to press buttons.
In theory, everything looks good, but in practice, it is not always possible to integrate the tablet so easily.
How to make a car radio from a tablet
The owners of almost any car are always unhappy with the functionality of the built-in radio. This is not surprising, because most often the manufacturer puts such “tape recorders” for show. In fact, standard devices can please, perhaps, with the ability to play MP3 files and the ability to listen to the radio. At the same time, the music works either quieter or worse, and sometimes the radio tape recorder turns off altogether.
To create a full-fledged multimedia center, listen to your favorite tracks, watch movies, use a rear view camera and a navigator, you can install many modern devices. However, it is much cheaper to use a regular 3-4 generation tablet. You can install it yourself or confuse the car service employees.
What problems can arise
Most of the machines are equipped with a digital CAN bus. Therefore, simply putting the tablet on does not always work. We’ll have to find a way to “make friends” the gadget with a standard amplifier. The easiest option is to purchase a small AZ-FM adapter. It helps to “trick” the stock system, which begins to see the tablet as a standard radio. But, in this case, the volume will not be enough. Then you will have to put an additional “amp” anyway. The easiest way to do this is to use any old radio tape recorder. It connects to AUX, then goes to AZ-FM and then to the stock amplifier. But, this is too long a chain. In addition, the adapter is not so cheap, about 900-1000 rubles.
Therefore, the easiest way is to disassemble the AZ-FM and solder the resistance on it. But the background can remain. You can try to evaporate the wires from the tablet, bring the mass to different places. However, additional noise may still remain even if connected directly to the battery. Then we buy a filter (for a car radio) and the noise disappears.
However, a tablet running on its own OS will no longer integrate itself with an automotive system. Therefore, you need to think about how to set it up.
We program the tablet
First of all, you need to make the planets turn on after ignition. To do this, you can use the useful microDroid utility. However, in some vehicles, the “music” should turn on a few seconds after the engine is turned on. Therefore, you can use the more “sophisticated” program Tasker (although the utility is paid, it will cost 100 rubles). It allows you to fine-tune the inclusion of the gadget.
You also need to think about the organization of the media player. You can find a huge number of skins and choose the most convenient one for yourself. But, as a rule, car owners prefer Astro and Google Music utilities. The second option is more convenient, but many note that after the next update, the program was endowed with a too light interface, which is why the playlist and navigation on a sunny day are much worse visible.
Someone uses everyone’s favorite WinAmp to create playlists and then uploads the tracks to the tablet. However, in this case, problems may arise with determining the time of playing music and the Russian-language names of songs. By the way, Google Music often has the same problem. In this case, you can use the Multi File Translator or TagScanner programs or similar. They will automatically rename tracks using Latin script.
Besides listening to music, other problems can arise. For example, you need to decide how:
- Make it so that switching between the screen with the playlist and navigation is carried out with one touch;
- Stretch the image to full screen, and not losing control buttons;
- Control the music itself (pause, select the next track, etc.) without leaving the navigation mode.
In this case, two solutions are optimal:
- Button Savior. It is a simulator of Android OS hardware buttons. The program has a clear interface, so you can easily customize it for yourself.
- Full! Screen. This program will allow you to display the picture in full full-screen mode, without displacing the system buttons. The space is filled in the most convenient way. In this case, you can program the buttons depending on the longitude of pressing them. At the same time, the program allows you to display on the screen Not only the main keys (Menu, Back and Home), but also controls for playing music.
Additionally, you can install utilities for monitoring vehicle systems (for example, you can display diagnostics from ELM 327).
Media center from an old tablet
If support for SIM cards is not available in all tablet models, then Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are built-in everywhere. Therefore, we download music to a tablet or, for variety, simply put one of the many streaming services such as TuneIn Radio, SoundCloud or Spotify Music. Then it’s a matter of technology: either via Bluetooth to a speaker, or via a mini-jack to any device with an audio input or speakers.
System Resource Monitor from an Old Tablet
A solution for true geeks. We put the Remote System Monitor program on the computer on the computer, create a password on the computer, connect from the tablet and look at the full information about the computer hardware, including:
- Temperature (processor, video accelerator, hard drives, etc.)
- CPU and GPU workload;
- Use of RAM, video memory and paging file;
- Voltage display;
- Full information about hard drives, including write / read speed;
- Fan speeds and the ability to control them (if provided)
- Network data transfer rate.
System resource monitor from old tablet
And finally, a little nostalgia. If old by today’s standards tablets and phones do NOT handle modern games, they can still serve as a tool to go back to the nineties. There are many different emulators in the market for NES (ours is better known for its clone Dendy), SEGA, GameBoy, PS and others.
Most emulators already contain games, in others, you must first download game files or archives. Well, for a more comfortable game, you can use the Sixaxis Controller, which allows you to use Sixaxis and Dual Shock 3/4 joysticks. By the way, I have a great Chinese clone, bought on eBay.
If your first “console” was a stationary computer, then you can install DosBox Turbo, which supports Voodoo Graphics, IPX Networking, PCI Devices and Windows, including DirectX. This means you can take DOOM, Quake, Warcraft 2, Starcraft 1, Fallout 2, Diablo 2, Age of Empires 2 and other classic masterpieces with you on the road.
Minimum requirements: Dual-core 1.2 GHz, Adreno 220 / Nvidia Tegra 2, 256 MB RAM (but 1 GB is better), 2 GB free memory. A full list of supported games can be found on XDA.
Low-cost video surveillance system
There can be several scenarios for using video surveillance, but let’s focus on the “Video baby monitor” option in a local Wi-Fi network. The tablet can be used from two sides: as a monitor with a network or IP camera (for example, hang over the front door or from the window or from the balcony. Watch the car) or it can act as such a camera. I don’t have a separate IP camera, so I’ll show you how the tablet works in conjunction with the Nexus 5.
Voice assistant from an old tablet
The tablet can easily be converted to Amazon Alexa for the Poor. It is enough to put it on the charger, deactivate the screen off and ask questions via Ok, Google. You can also use the Russian assistant. the assistant of the GUD or Yandex Alice. If Google is suitable mainly for simply searching for information on the Internet and verbalizing it with a voice, then the last two programs support a much wider range of commands.
Dusya can make reminders, translate text, read news, count, control smart home and home theater, set timers and alarms, search for public transport routes, has access to and integration with Tasker. Well, with the help of scripts (they can be installed through the application), it will be possible to significantly expand the built-in capabilities of the assistant. For example, play with a bot in the city, find and put music from VK, write a message in WhatsApp and Viber, call a taxi, listen to a random anecdote or riddle, and so on. Well, one of the most useful functions will be voice-over for notifications from other programs.
Alice has a smaller set of features, but some of them are useful for starting music, playing games, searching for information, as well as managing a computer.
List of functions and directory of DUSi scripts
Tablet as a camera
Everything is very simple here: we change applications in places and watch what is happening on the phone. If you need to complicate the task and watch the stream outside the home, it is easier to use a special service, for example, Ivideon. After a simple registration, it will give access to the connected cameras via a browser. The above IP Webcam just has integration with Ivideon (enabled in the settings).
Ivideon has a convenient application that allows you to connect to cameras from anywhere in the world. One of the notable features of the program is push notifications when movement is noticed in the camera’s field of view. At the same time, you can watch a ten-second video captured when motion is detected. A paid subscription activates the recording of the entire stream from cloud cameras. To be able to transmit a stream from a regular webcam, you must additionally supply Ivideon server.
Viewing a video stream via a mobile network and push notifications Ivideon
Photo frame from an old tablet
The tablet can be easily transformed into a photo frame to display the desired photos or albums. There are enough programs in the market for this. For example, Photo Slides is a simple photo frame, many settings, DLNA support in beta. Among the settings are the duration of the photo display, the refresh rate, effects, the choice of displaying only photos that match the current orientation, the floor clock of the photo, launch only when an external power source is connected. In the paid version, you can additionally select a moving panorama, set up a scheduled launch.
For those who want to see photos, including from social networks, there is a Dayframe application (Photos Slideshow). It can display photos from. Dropbox, Flickr, Instagram, Tumblr. 500px, Google and Google Photo.
What to do from an old tablet
New Android devices appear with enviable regularity. Old ones slow down and can no longer cope with modern games and resource-intensive applications. It’s a pity to give or throw them away, but no one wants to buy them.
It’s time to dust off old tablets. Using the Nexus 7 tablet as an example, I’ll show you what to do from an old tablet. It is not quite standard to use an old tablet in various scenarios. In this article, we will NOT dwell on banal readers and recipe books for the chef, but move on to a higher level.
Information panel for the machine
All that is needed for this is to choose the most convenient holder for the tablet in the car (personally, I prefer the fastener in the CD slot, no one uses it anyway) and put the program to your liking on the tablet. Again, the choice is quite large.
It is worth trying Android Auto, the same one that comes pre-installed on various cars. It is for phones only, but the latest installation file can always be found at apkmirror.com. Important notifications, navigator hints, music controls appear on the main screen. And below there will always be shortcuts to launch Google Maps, phone and Google Play Music.
Dashboard for a car from an old tablet. Home screen and navigation in Android Auto
Also in the market you can find AutoMate and Car dashdroid. The first shows the nearby places, weather forecast and speed limits, has voice control, as well as integration with Torque, which will allow you to view data from car sensors using an additional accessory that works via OBDII.
The second has support for audio players (Spotify, Play Music, Pandora, Poweramp and others), voice control and a customizable home screen.
But, in my opinion, the tablet with the launched Car Launcher AG fits into the interior most harmoniously. Customizable buttons for radio, music player, navigation, browser. Shows the speed and parking time. Displays weather, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth status, current music control and brightness settings.
Dashboard for a car from an old tablet. Car Launcher AG interface
Of course, there are more serious options for using the tablet in the car. On the thematic forums, there are many projects for complete integration with the car media system, in addition to the head unit as the main device, providing the buttons on the steering wheel. But that’s a completely different story.