How to overclock a processor on a laptop via BIOS
And so, how to overclock the processor on a laptop through the BIOS? This action can be dangerous, it is better to handle all the settings with the utmost care. To get into BOIS, you will need:
- Reboot laptop.
- Press the Delete or F2 key at the beginning of the download. It all depends on the manufacturer. So, on an HP laptop, the entrance is carried out on ESC, and to open the BIOS, you must additionally press F10.
- Go to the section responsible for overclocking. Names can vary greatly.
- Now you need to open a section that may have a name like “CPU Operation Speed”. At this point, you must put “Manual”.
- In “FSB Frequency” (name may differ, but must contain FSB). At the set FSB frequency, the processor frequency is calculated.
- “CPU Ratio / Clock Ratio” must be increased by 10.
Thus, you can overclock the AMD processor on a laptop. After completing all the manipulations, it remains only to press F10 to save the changes, and at the same time exit the menu.
It is risky to increase the frequency by more than 5-15% at once. the cooling system may not cope with the increased heat generation and the laptop will automatically lower the processor clock speed, or even freeze and shut down. Those with experience gradually increase the frequency and then watch for changes in the operation of the system. Here’s how to speed up the processor on a laptop using BIOS.
Beginners should try increasing the fixed frequency. It is necessary:
- Go to BIOS.
- Find the “Power BIOS Features” section.
- Go to “AGP / PCI Clock”.
- Set 66/33 MHz.
- Find “HyperTransport Frequency”.
- Reduce from 600 to 400.
- Save changes.
After the performed manipulations, productivity will increase. This is how you can overclock the i3 processor on a laptop.
3 ways to overclock your laptop on your own
Is it possible to overclock the processor on a laptop? Yes, accelerating the processor gives you more performance and allows you to run OS-intensive applications. An easy and popular way to speed up is to use BIOS for this, but there are other options: programs that will really help.
Overclocking is not available on all laptops, only gaming models support it. They have powerful processors, and, thanks to a powerful cooling system, the chip does not melt as overclocked.
How to overclock a processor on a laptop using the SetFSB utility
SetFSB. using this utility will give an impetus to overclocking the processor, which is performed in a couple of clicks. It is functional, but you need to use it carefully. there is a considerable risk of damaging your laptop. Therefore, all the following steps must be performed very carefully.
The maximum frequency increase that is possible using the utility is 10-15%. A larger increase is real only with an enhanced cooling system; you will also need to redo the power supply of the chip.
The version of the program available for free download is 184.108.40.206. No installation required. Since it is possible to overclock the Intel Pentium processor on a laptop with this utility, it also supports many modern and old models. But for older laptops, stress tests are recommended to ensure overclocking is possible.
Before you start overclocking, you need to check your PLL, as well as find out the clock generator number. If PC owners can see everything on their own, for this they need to disassemble the system unit, then users with laptops first need to study the list of supported devices. But there is an alternative option, SetFSB is able to recognize the PLL itself.
- Run the program.
- Login to “Diagnosis”.
- Go to “Clock Generator” and click on “PLL diagnosis”.
- Click on the “Get FSB” button.
- Go to the section “PLL Control Registers”.
- Then find column 07 in the table. It is designated as Vendor ID.
You will need to check the protection against overclocking:
- In “PLL Control Registers” go to column 09 and click on the first line.
- Find the sixth bit in “Bin”. The counting is from one, so if the field starts from zero, then the sixth bit is the seventh digit in the count.
- If the value is 0, the PLL hardware code must be connected;
- If the value is 1, the mod is not needed.
- Go to “Control”.
- Choose your chip in the “Clock Generator”.
- Click on “Get FSB” (the current frequency will be displayed at the bottom of the window).
- Move the slider in the center a little to the right. This will increase the processor frequency. The rest of the sliders do not need to be touched. The optimal boost level is 10-15 MHz (the adjustment range increases when you check the “Ultra” item).
- Press the button “SetFSB”.
If the PLL is specified incorrectly or the frequency is too high, the laptop may shutdown. In parallel with SetFSB, it is advisable to keep the CPU-Z type program enabled in order to monitor the processor temperature. The test should last at least 10 minutes. In case of stable operation, you can continue to use the laptop, or continue experimenting with the frequency.
The problem remains. after rebooting, the laptop will work in the same mode. To avoid this, you need to write an autoload script. You will need:
- Open “Notepad”.
- Enter the line C: \ Desktop \ SetFSB 220.127.116.11 \ setfsb.exe –w15 –s668 –cg [PLL model].
- Save as.bat.
- Copy the shortcut of the file to the Startup folder.
–W15. timer before starting the program s668. overclocking level, it will be different, to find out the exact value you need to look in “Control”. In a small box, two numbers are marked, you must take the first. The laptop will now always apply the specified overclocking settings.
Do I need to overclock the laptop processor
To get the best performance, the power user is able to overclock the processor on a Windows laptop on their own. Laptop manufacturers have foreseen a similar outcome and have taken all necessary measures to ensure that the user does not need it.
The processor can automatically reduce its speed when idle and increase under load. However, there is a certain “ceiling” that remains unused and which can be used. The brand of the laptop does not matter here: Asus, Acer, lenovo, HP are overclocked in the same way, only the processor model, BIOS and OS are important.
There are two ways to overclock in total: increasing the multiplier (if not locked) and increasing the bus reference frequency. In the first case, you need to focus on the marking of the processor. At AMD, the overclocking capability is given by the inscription FX, and Intel uses the letter K in the processor name.
Important! Before you start overclocking, you should put good cooling on the processor, it will come in handy.
Why the computer began to work slowly, you can find out here.
How to speed up the processor on a Windows 7 laptop?
- Open “Start”.
- Login to “System”.
- Go to “Power and sleep”.
- In “Additional power options” click on “Show additional schemes”.
- Select a mode in which high performance is possible.
Notebook battery will now drain faster, but performance will be higher.
How to speed up the processor on a laptop
Often users try to figure out on their own how to overclock a processor on a laptop. This is done in several proven ways: BIOS, SetFSB, or using the built-in Windows tools. They should be chosen based on the convenience and capabilities of your laptop.
How to overclock a processor on a laptop without BIOS
The best option is to use the internal tools of the system. In the case of Windows 7 and 10, the path is in Power Management. Depending on the set power mode, the laptop is able to decrease or increase its performance in order to conserve power. By setting the appropriate mode, the user is able to speed up the processor.
How to speed up the processor on a Windows 10 laptop:
- Click on the battery icon in the tray.
- Click on “Power supply”.
- Find the battery icon in the opened mobility center.
- Set the “High performance” mode in the drop-down menu.
This has been observed to increase productivity by up to 30%. The method is guaranteed, works with all laptops and allows you to slightly speed up the processor on an i5 laptop.
Helpful Video. 5 Ways to Speed Up Your Laptop:
https://opartnerke.ru/kak-razognat-protsessor-noutbuka-samostoytelnno/ ~ images \ kak-uvelichit-chastotu-processora-na-noutbuke_1.jpeg https://opartnerke.ru/wp-content/uploads/2020/ 04 / kak_razognat_processor_noutbuka_samostoyatelno.jpg 2020-05-30T21: 11: 3706: 00 Alexander PC computer, PC acceleration Is it possible to overclock the processor on a laptop? Yes, accelerating the processor gives you more performance and allows you to run OS-intensive applications. An easy and popular way to speed up is to use BIOS for this, but there are other options: programs that will really help. Overclocking is not available on all laptops, only gaming models support it. Alexander Alexander firstname.lastname@example.org Administrator Reviews of smartphones and Internet services
How to overclock a processor!
Nobody gives guarantees that it will be possible to increase the frequency by 50%, but with simple actions it will not be difficult to increase the processor frequency by 20-30%.
MSI Control Center II
The program is designed to control the state of the system and its overclocking. The entire utility interface is divided into two main sections: “Oveclocking” and “Green Power”. The functions for overclocking the system are grouped in the first section. It also contains information about the status of devices: temperature, power consumption, etc.
The second section “Green Power” contains information on the overall energy efficiency of the system. Also from this menu you can turn on and off the LED indicators of the motherboard.
To eliminate interaction with the BIOS and simplify the overclocking process, special utilities will help, suitable for both a wide range of systems and certain.
- CPUFSB is a modern tool for complex chip tuning and monitoring of individual components. Fully translated into Russian, supports a lot of motherboards. To work, you will need a few settings. choosing component models, changing the frequency and multiplier, saving parameters before rebooting and after.
- Utility SoftFSB, which allows you to configure everything at once literally on the fly. It does not need to introduce functions, the interface is intuitive, the menu is detailed. You can control the frequency, temperature and voltage by moving the sliders.
- ASRock OC Tuner is a utility designed for ASRock motherboards that combines a huge range of overclocking, monitoring and tuning functions.
- MSI Control Center II is a tool with a self-explanatory name. Performs all the functions declared by competitors. Easy to work.
- ASUS Turbo V EVO. CPU overclocking software: instant parameter change, easy setup, support for various components.
Overclocking the processor at home
Probably everyone already knows that it is possible to increase the speed of a computer and its optimization not only by replacing a part with a new one, more powerful and therefore more productive, but also by means of a test to overclock the old one. For those who did not previously know about such a possibility, this article will help you deal with this possibility.
Overclocking (overclocking) is an increase in the performance of the processor, video card, system card and computer RAM. When it comes to the processor, this means an increase in frequency, voltage and multiplier factor.
Manufacturers constantly leave 20-50% of the safety margin, which increases the maximum operating time in a stable state. For example, your processor running at the optimal frequency of 1.8 Ghz has the maximum possible frequency of 3.0 Ghz. This means that with the correct sequence of actions performed during overclocking, it is possible to increase the frequency to 3.0 Ghz. However, it is not a fact that the percent will be able to work in this state for a longer period than at a frequency of 1.8 Ghz.
Changing multiplier parameters
The multiplier is also amenable to changes that affect the increase in frequency.
For example, at a frequency of 1.33GHz: 133. bus, 10. frequency multiplication factor. If you change the coefficient to 15, then instead of 1.33 GHz you can get 2.0 GHz.
However, there is one point. the processor must have an unlocked multiplier. Usually such processors are labeled as Extreme, but in cases where the processor is Black Edition or Intel processor AMD. But do not be upset if the processor version is not Extreme, because with the right approach, you can achieve good results. Although, rather, it is impossible to do here without increasing the voltage. For example, an ordinary light bulb is the same processor, but its design is hundreds of thousands of times simpler than that of a processor. But despite this, the principle of their work is about the same: the more voltage is applied, the brighter the result of their work will be.
- Information. You will have to collect all the data about the system, motherboard memory and the overclocked “stone”, for example, the factory clock frequency and voltage. This will help to pre-determine the starting state of things and limit future potential. If you have no time to crawl under the cover of a personal computer or in the BIOS menu, then CPU-Z will resolve all issues.
- Temperature. The CPU cooler should dissipate the thermal energy perfectly even before overclocking. It is better to forget about the box type of cooling (usually provided with the processor) and go to systems based on heat pipes, which perfectly remove excess energy. Hence the conclusion. the more powerful the cooler, the higher the potential for future overclocking.
The debate about how best to overclock the hardware continues. Security advocates sin on the unreliability of software, while those who prefer to overclock the processor through a program fend off its simple use. With the right actions, any method will be effective.
There are several manufacturers of motherboards. Overclocking software is also targeted at various manufacturers. Overclocking an intel processor with the wrong utility can cause serious damage to the system. The places where such programs are downloaded usually contain information about the list of supported models of processors and motherboards. Therefore, before overclocking an intel processor, it is better to check the above list.
SetFSB is deliberately designed for fast and easy CPU overclocking. With its support, you can safely change the system bus frequency without rebooting the operating system, bypassing the BIOS.
It is not recommended to use this program for beginners. Overclocking actions can be harmful. High probability of damage to both the processor and the motherboard.
The program has a completely understandable interface, and the entire overclocking process takes place by step-by-step movement of just ONE slider.
If this laptop is supported by the program, the data on the chip frequency will be visible in the lower right corner.
The sequence of actions is extremely simple: increase the bus clock speed in small steps and test with the Prime95 program.
Windows also improves performance
Overclocking the processor in a laptop is a little difficult, but possible. Mobile device manufacturers, of course, have thought about protection and taken care in advance to provide the best performance at the maximum frequency when it is necessary to speed up the work. When the processor is idle, the frequency automatically drops. But you can increase performance without harming the laptop by system means by changing the power supply mode.
For this, the Windows operating system has a software tool. “Power Supply”. You can find it by going to the Control Panel. The picture below shows the window that will appear in Windows 7 or 8.1.
It is necessary to go to the section “Power supply” and select the item “High performance”.
This is how you can “overclock” a laptop processor without the risk of breaking something. The performance gain will be immediately noticeable.
How to properly overclock a processor on a laptop
When you buy a laptop, you expect good performance based on its cost. And still it is not enough. But you can increase the processing speed of the central processing unit (CPU) from that declared by the manufacturer. Therefore, the question arises: how to overclock the processor on a laptop in order to get more efficient work for the same money. There are several affordable and safe options that we will look at in this article.
A small utility that is able to measure the performance of a computer. The sizing process is based on performing the computation of the Mersenne primes. This action takes full advantage of the laptop.
Optionally, you can check both the RAM and the processor itself. While the program is running, you need to be prepared for the fact that the computer will noticeably slow down.
The frequency is increased in small steps until a hang-up occurs. Once the performance has been saved, the Prime95 test must be terminated and exited from the CPU setup program.
Overclocking with dedicated apps
For relatively old laptops, it is possible to overclock the processor using the small SetFSB program paired with the Prime95 program.
Further execution of any overclocking method is associated with the risk of damaging the laptop. All actions must be performed with extreme caution, in small steps.
It is necessary to understand that as much as possible you can achieve a slight increase in the processor frequency. within 10-15%. Further increase is possible if the cooling system is prepared and the power supply of the chip is changed. Since during overclocking, along with an increase in frequency, heat generation also increases. By the way, modern processors have a two-level overheating protection system. If the temperature threshold is exceeded, the processor automatically forcibly lowers the frequency and voltage, which leads to less heat generation. If the temperature does not drop below 95-110º, the laptop either shuts down or freezes.
Overclocking via BIOS
In some models, it is possible to overclock the laptop processor by standard means from the BIOS. To get into this system, you need to turn on the laptop and press a certain key on the keyboard. A hint about which button to press will be visible for a few seconds on the monitor screen. For example, on the screen of the HP monitor, the text shown in the figure below will appear.
After this condition is met, the initial menu will appear, which will indicate the key that must be pressed to get into the BIOS.
Let’s consider the sequence of actions that must be performed to overclock the processor:
- There are several tabs in BIOS, you need to select the “Advanced” tab.
- In the list, you must select the line “JumperFree Configuration” and confirm your choice with the Enter key.
- Go to the “AI Overclocking” section. By selecting “Overclock Profile”, you will be able to select the power mode for the AMD CPU.
- In order to check the functionality of the changed values, you will need the Premier95 program. With its help, you can check the correctness of the changes made. If during the tests with this program the laptop freezes, then the set value of the CPU power does not fit and it must be returned to its previous value or decreased by changing it up one line. If all tests by this program were successful, then the value can be raised by moving one line down. So the possible options must be repeated until the laptop turns off. You can stop at the operating parameter of the power supply.
- After the selection and checks, it remains only to save the selected values and restart the laptop.
It should be warned that most of the time manufacturers lock the CPU to prevent the user from changing the clock frequency themselves.
Let’s start with the question “why
It seems that the laptop is only 3 years old and has never let down, performing any tasks (play a new shooter, watch new video rental, recode a video).
But now it cannot cope with half of the needs. What do you have to do. change your laptop? But you can try to “revive” your electronic friend by overclocking the processor. Performance will increase slightly. If you do everything right, the results will please. In addition to increasing the clock frequency, memory starts to work faster, and as a result, the speed of applications increases slightly.
But overclocking a laptop processor is half the battle. You have to pay for everything in this life:
- Performance will increase, but power consumption will also increase. This means that battery life will inevitably decrease.
- In addition, now the laptop will warm up much more. We’ll have to think about the cooling system or, at least, not overlap the special slots on the bottom and side.
- CPU lifespan is likely to decrease.
Before overclocking, you need data on the chip installed in the laptop. The CPU-Z utility will help you with this. This information is required for the SetFSB program.
How to overclock a processor on a laptop?
Overclocking the processor is the increase in the speed of the chip in comparison with the manufacturer’s declared performance. The most popular way is to increase the clock speed. In this case, the processor cycle is slightly reduced in time, but it does the same for this cycle. This means that the speed of calculations is growing. The advent of multi-core processors gave rise to another overclocking option. unlocking the cores disabled by the manufacturer. But this is the lot of professional overclockers, and we will leave the witchcraft with cores outside the scope of this article. Let’s consider just a few of the safest options for overclocking a laptop processor.
Easy Windows overclocking
The safest thing for laptops is “overclocking” by changing the power supply mode.
Open the Power Supply program in Windows 7 or 8.1.
We set “High performance”. a special power supply scheme that requires maximum performance from the processor.
Thus, we overclocked the laptop processor using regular means and without any risk.
Overclocking programmatically using special utilities
Here begins a description of overclocking methods that involve a certain risk for the average user. Therefore, do everything carefully and with very small steps. For example, if the frequency of the processor is 1 GHz, then it is stupid to demand from it to conquer the peak of 1.5 GHz. The maximum that can be done safely is 10-15%. All other figures are achieved only by special means with a change in the cooling system and power supply of the chip.
She does not know how to overclock the processor. But CPU-ID will give us full information about the chip that is installed in our laptop. Knowing this information, we can understand how much additional gigahertz we can calculate.
Download the special utility SetFSB. This program is able to control the CPU clock speed without using BIOS.
Carefully study the list of laptop models supported by the utility. You will not find the most recent ones in this list, since the situation with the program’s support is not clear at the moment. But the utility supports old laptops, released approximately before 2014. The sequence of actions is simple. Increase the clock speed of the processor bus with a small step and look at the result.
We test the laptop for stability after overclocking. The fact that the laptop after overclocking works when the Internet browser is launched is already good. But we need to check if it can withstand a more serious load. The Prime 95 utility will help us. Its advantage is the minimum file size and no need to waste time on installation.
If you run the CPU-Z program described earlier during the test, you will see that the processor is operating at the highest frequency that it is allowed to. If something is unstable: the appearance of a blue screen, freezing, then the frequency should be reduced.
Overclocking a laptop processor: step by step
Attention! When overclocking the processor yourself using our advice, you need to remember the following things:
- Overclocking the processor increases performance, but also increases power consumption. This means that your laptop’s battery will last for less time and the chip will warm up more strongly. Ensure good ventilation inside the case. At the very least, do not block the special slots located on the bottom and back of the laptop.
- In the long run, overclocking can reduce processor lifespan.
Overclocking laptop processor via BIOS
Overclocking the processor is also possible through the BIOS settings. But this applies only to individual models. And, I must say, quite rare. It should be understood that a laptop is primarily a mobile device with a long battery life. The overclocking capabilities of the processor are not as wide as those of personal computers, but there are some things that can be done. The general course of action is something like this.
- We enter the BIOS. Depending on your laptop model, you should hold down or press the Del, Esc, or F12 key frequently while turning on the power. There may be other key combinations as well. It depends on the manufacturer, so read the information about your laptop online or in the user manual.
- The item under which the settings are hidden can be called differently. For example, CPU FSB Clock or CPU FSB Frequency. All we can do is increase the bus clock speed a little.
- We increase the clock rate. Restarting the laptop.
After overclocking, be sure to test the reliability of the laptop with the Prime 95 utility.
Why is overclocking a laptop processor done?
Let’s start by asking why. Getting more performance for the same processor cost seems like a profitable solution. In addition, as the clock frequency of the chip bus increases, the memory tends to perform faster as well. As a result, applications start to work a little faster. It’s fair to say that in modern desktop chipsets, you can overclock CPU and RAM in different ways. But not in laptops.
Where might you need more performance from a laptop processor? Obviously, in games and heavy applications like Adobe Photoshop, which are very CPU-intensive. Modern browsers also actively use the processor on “heavy” pages on the Internet. Website developers today are actively using the multimedia capabilities of HTML 5 and Flash. That is, great performance is required in almost all daily tasks of a laptop user.
Do I need to overclock my laptop?
Laptops are not designed for CPU overclocking. On the contrary, the manufacturers of mobile chips have done everything to ensure that such overclocking is not required by the user. The frequency automatically decreases when the processor is idle, and increases when the system needs a chip. The most reliable way not to break anything is to use switching the laptop power supply circuit. The processor will stop dropping the frequency, which will give you a slight performance boost over economy modes. For the sake of fairness, we recall that the high-speed mode automatically turns on if you simply plug the power supply plug into the laptop. For not the newest models of laptops, there is an additional alternative to overclocking the processor. the SetFSB utility. And you can check the stability of the new overclocked state with the Prime 95 program.
How to overclock a processor on a laptop
Every second user has thought at least once about how to increase the performance of a laptop. After all, due to this, the device will work faster with many games and applications. The most common option is to overclock the processor and increase its clock speed. But how complicated is this procedure, often referred to as “overclocking”? Is overclocking a laptop chipset safe? What unpleasant consequences should you be afraid of? Finally, how do you increase the processor power on your laptop yourself? You will find answers to these and many other questions in this article.
Step-by-step instructions on how to overclock a processor on a laptop using Windows
You now know all the pros and cons. It’s time to talk about how to overclock a processor on a laptop. To do this, you need to go to BIOS.
However, before overclocking the processor, do the following:
- Clean your laptop from various “rubbish”. That is, delete unnecessary files from the hard drive of the device.
- Optimize Windows. For example, remove unnecessary applications from startup or disable services that you do not use.
- Eliminate system errors.
- Update your drivers.
- Check your laptop for viruses. And best of all with a few programs.
The fact is that many people start to overclock the processor on a laptop. But in fact, the device slows down and freezes for trivial reasons. the operating system is not configured properly, malicious software interferes with the operation of the computer, etc. So first we eliminate all errors, remove unnecessary files and viruses, speed up the CPU speed by installing fresh drivers, etc As soon as we have finished with this, we can proceed to the procedure for overclocking the processor.
The easiest and safest way is to change the power mode. This overclocking option works on any laptop from any manufacturer. Asus, Lenovo, Acer, HP, Samsung, Dell, etc. For example, consider the whole process on a device running Windows 10:
- Through the “Start” go to the “System” section.
- On the left, select the item “Power and sleep mode”.
- Next, click on “Additional power options”. The corresponding button will be on the right.
- Now in the window that appears, expand the menu “Show additional schemes”.
- Set the marker to the “High performance” mode.
Advantages and disadvantages
Processors from both Intel and AMD lend themselves to the overclocking procedure, or, more simply, “overclocking”. Indeed, many of them operate at only 60-70% of their maximum power. This fact allows you to overclock many CPUs, bringing the indicator closer to 100%. However, how effective and safe is all this??
Therefore, for a start, it is worth deciding how useful is overclocking the processor on a laptop. In addition, you need to talk about the negative consequences that may appear after increasing the power of the chipset.
Let’s start with the pros. Perhaps he is only one. But significant enough. After all, without spending a single ruble, you can get a more powerful processor. But there are a little more cons:
- increase energy consumption;
- battery power will be consumed faster;
- the device will become hotter;
- the service life of the processor itself will decrease.
It should be noted that overclocking a processor on a laptop is not only risky, but also difficult. This is due to the fact that on laptops, the performance gain is always small. You also often have to deal with overheating. The compact size of all the “insides”, the close arrangement of components and a miniature cooling system only contributes to this. As a result, many laptop models, already at the initial stages of overclocking, get so hot that they constantly turn off and freeze.
Therefore, before you start overclocking a laptop processor, seriously evaluate all the pros and cons. It may be safer and more reliable to simply save money to buy a more powerful laptop. If you do decide to increase processor performance, then remember that the maximum increase in power that you will get is 10-15%. No other way. It is already unsafe.
If you need to increase the performance of the CPU at times, then all this is achieved only by special means with the modernization of cooling and power systems.!
Overclocking the processor on a laptop via BIOS
You can also overclock the laptop processor through the BIOS. This is done in different ways. However, we recommend that you start by setting a fixed frequency. For this:
- We go to the BIOS menu. How to do it? For example, on an ASUS laptop, you need to press the F2 key at boot time. If you have a laptop from another manufacturer, then try to click on Esc, F6, F8, F12, Delete when turning on.
- We are looking for the Power BIOS Features section.
- Next, we are interested in the AGP / PCI Clock tab, in which we set the value to 66/33 MHz.
- Then we find the HyperTransport Frequency parameter and slightly reduce its frequency. Up to about 400 or 600.
- We save all the changes. Press F10. Restarting the laptop.
After these manipulations, the laptop should show higher performance. It is also possible to increase the parameters of the system bus. This is done again through the BIOS:
- In the POWER BIOS Features (or Advanced Chipset Features or simply Advanced) section, select the CPU Clock tab. It can be called differently. For example, Clock Ratio, CPU Bus or CPU Ratio.
- Increase the value displayed here by 10 units.
- Save these changes by pressing the F10 button. Restart your laptop.
- Now you need to test your laptop. The Everest program is suitable, through which we monitor the temperature of the central processor. It is important not to allow it to exceed 70-90 ° C (depending on the CPU model). If the value is higher, then go to BIOS again and lower the FSB frequency.
- If the laptop shows stable performance, you can increase the value by another 10 MHz. And so on until it starts to get very hot or a blue screen appears, freezes or other problems arise that mean that the overclocking threshold is exceeded.
How to overclock a laptop processor using a utility?
Overclocking is a complex process. Therefore, some manufacturers release special software with which you can easily increase the power of your laptop. True, some users may have difficulties here as well. Therefore, we will tell you in detail how to overclock a laptop processor using the SetFSB utility.
- First of all, download the SetFSB program from the Internet.
- The next step is to define the PLL chip on the laptop processor. It is she who forms the frequency for various components. How do you know which chip is on your device? Use a search engine and try to find the specifications of the motherboard installed on your laptop. Among the various information, the PLL microcircuit can also be indicated. Naturally, you can remove the back cover and look directly at the marking of the microcircuit.
- Launch SetFSB. In the “Control” section in the “Clock Generator” window, select your PLL chip model.
- Click the Get FSB button. After that, information about various frequencies and the current processor frequency (Current CPU Frequency) will appear in the main window.
- We put a tick in front of the Ultra item. Move the center slider below to the right. Literally at 10-20 MHz. Click the SetFSB button.
- Next, we test the laptop. To do this, you can use any program. For example, Preime95. If the laptop passed all the “tests” with dignity, then we return to the SetFSB utility and increase the frequency by another 10-15 MHz.
- And so on until the laptop starts to freeze or reboot. This will mean that you have found the threshold for performance. On the contrary, we’ll have to “roll back” and reduce the frequency by 10-15 MHz.
For reference! Some processors, such as the popular intel core i3, i5 and i7, are difficult to overclock. The fact is that the manufacturer has already set them up for maximum performance. All that can be gained from custom overclocking is a 5-8% increase in power.
There are many other CPU overclocking programs out there. For example, for AMD chipsets, these are AI Booster and AMD OverDrive. For laptops with an intel processor, we can recommend the Intel Desktop Control Center.
The main task facing the laptop user is to increase its performance. Of course, you won’t be able to improve the processor on a laptop. the chip is soldered to the motherboard and cannot be replaced. But to find out what bottlenecks in your laptop model will allow a small free utility PassMark PerformanceTest. It will conduct a test of all installed equipment in about 7 minutes and display its rating in general and in comparison with other computers in the world.
With its help, for example, you can determine that in order to speed up your PC, it is better to first replace the RAM with a faster one and install an SSD instead of a very slow HDD.
If you already have the most optimal components installed, then it is worth checking the system settings to increase performance. After all, a laptop is a mobile computer, mostly powered by a built-in battery. By default, to conserve battery power, Windows sets the CPU settings to medium. Setting the options in the “Power supply” section to “High performance” will speed up the computer up to 30%.
To do this, in Windows 10, right-click on the battery icon in the tray on the right, and select the “Power supply” line from the menu. Next, in the window that opens in the left pane, click “Windows Mobility Center”.
Find the battery icon in the options and select “High Performance” from the drop-down menu. But Honor has it that in this mode your laptop will drain the battery very quickly. Balanced mode will allow you to use the full power of the processor when powered from the mains and reduce it to acceptable if you unplug the laptop from the outlet.
How to speed up the processor on a laptop: detailed instructions and programs
When buying a laptop, users often make a compromise, preferring compactness and portability to the detriment of performance. But they are always willing to try to overclock the processor on a laptop. CHIP will tell you how to do it.
Most modern laptops are equipped with powerful enough processors to handle office tasks. But this may not seem enough if video or photo processing is required. In this tutorial we will show you how you can speed up your laptop processor. But let us immediately warn you that this can be fraught with consequences, including the effect on the stability of the system and power consumption.
How to speed up a processor on a laptop using overclocking
We note right away that not all models have the ability to increase the processor frequency on a laptop. This function is available mostly for gaming models and devices with a relatively powerful processor and a good cooling system.
In general, not many people know that almost any modern (and not so) laptop is already initially equipped with an automatic system for overclocking the processor and RAM. The manufacturer immediately indicates the frequency of the processor in standard operation mode and the maximum frequency to which the processor is overclocked under load. It is at the maximum frequency that the laptop cooling system is designed, which allows it to work stably, without freezing and without losing user information. This mode was determined by the test method at the manufacturer’s factory, but as an average value.
You can try to speed up the processor by increasing the bus frequency, which will affect both the CPU temperature and the stability of the RAM. Perhaps it is your copy that will withstand the increased frequencies, but the maximum that you will achieve is a 5-10% increase in performance. At the same time, it is worth remembering that the resource of your laptop’s components can be seriously reduced.
To find out if your laptop’s processor can be overclocked, use the free CPU-Z utility. In it, find out at what frequency the CPU operates and if there is a chance to increase it.
After that, install the free utility SetFSB, with the help of which the laptop processor will be overclocked. This program will increase the speed of the CPU by increasing the clock frequency of the PLL (Phase Locked Loop) chip located on the laptop motherboard. It is not recommended to perform any actions for users who do not have the appropriate skills, because this may damage the PC components.
As an alternative tool, you can use the shareware program CPUFSB.
For the overclocking process, you need to know the PLL of your laptop’s motherboard. You can find this code in the family of this equipment. One way is to go to the laptop-schematics.com site of diagrams for laptops, find your model there, download the diagram and search for your PLL in the System Block Diagram section according to Clock generator. Or it makes sense to look for it on this forum. In our case, no schematic was found for Dell.
This means that you will have to look for it either on the board itself, disassembling the laptop, or by using the selection method, which is very dangerous and not rational. But you can overclock the processor in another way, which we will discuss below.
And for those who have found their PLL, all that remains is to launch SetFSB and find it in the “Clock Generator” list. After setting a suitable frequency, it is advisable to check the system for stability using the Prime 95 utility.
Overclocking the laptop automatically in two clicks
As we mentioned above, most modern laptops automatically overclock the bus speed when the load on the processor increases. For owners of laptops based on NVIDIA GPUs, proprietary utility NVIDIA nTune is offered.
It will automatically set the maximum performance for intense games or tune the system to be as quiet as possible, for example, when watching a DVD.
General information about the frequency of the computer processor
Before starting to execute the instruction, it is advisable to understand at least a little theoretical questions about processors and their clock frequency.
In short, processor frequency is a measure of the number of simultaneous operations performed by the processor per unit of time. Most modern processor microchips are rated at 1 GHz to 4 GHz. It is a mistake to believe that if you “overclock” the processor, that is, increase its frequency, the number of simultaneous actions will increase. No, the number of tasks will be the same as before overclocking, but the computer will cope with them significantly faster than before. The number of operations performed is affected by the number of processor cores (most modern laptops are quad-core), and the frequency is responsible for the speed (information processing speed).
How to increase the frequency of the processor on a laptop. effects
Here are some more key points to check out:
- Increased energy consumption. The higher the frequency, the more power the computer needs to perform the same operations. If you have a stationary PC, this indicator is not particularly important, but for laptops autonomy is one of the main characteristics.
- Increased heat dissipation. The compactness of laptops is not only an advantage, but also a disadvantage: all the parts, unlike the system unit of a desktop PC, are located at a close distance from each other, and the cooling system is also not particularly reliable. Therefore, it is advisable to avoid prolonged overheating or use special cooler stands for a laptop.
- Non-warranty cases. If the user performs any manipulations with the processor incorrectly, which will lead to critical overheating of the computer components, this situation is not considered a warranty. That is, you will pay for the repair out of your
- Before overclocking the processor frequency, think about the consequences of the work, especially if you are not a professional in computer affairs. All actions are performed at your own peril and risk, so strictly follow the instructions.
Is it possible to increase the frequency of the processor on a laptop?
It may happen that the hardware resources on a low-powered computer are not sufficient to keep graphically complex games or programs like Adobe Photoshop running smoothly. The power of the device is largely influenced by such an indicator as the clock frequency of the processor. If desired, it can be increased slightly by doing some manipulations. You will learn about these manipulations and how to increase the processor on a laptop (that is, its clock frequency) in this article.
Changing the power plan
This is the safest way to increase performance using system tools. Change the power plan to increase the supply of electricity to your PC’s components, while increasing the speed of the entire device. Do the following:
- Right-click on the battery icon. It is located in the lower right corner of the monitor on the Quick Access Toolbar.
- In the list that appears, click on the inscription “Power supply”.
- Select “High performance” from the drop-down list by ticking this item.
- Confirm the changes made.
Of course, in this way you will not overclock the processor frequency several times. However, this method allows you not to lose the factory warranty, and is absolutely safe for computer components and the operating system as a whole.
Changes in BIOS settings
Another way to increase the performance of the processor on a laptop is to change the parameters in the BIOS subroutine. Go to the BIOS menu when you restart the device (F1-F12, Delete or Escape keys on different laptop models, depending on the manufacturer). You can find the required key “by typing” or find information on your model on the Internet. After you enter the BIOS, look in the sections for the item “CPU Frequensy” or “CPU Lock” (also depends on the manufacturer) and set the desired value of the system bus frequency. Confirm the actions performed, exit the menu and restart the device.
Check if the processor temperature has increased significantly as a result of your manipulations. Download and install one of the programs designed for this (for example, Aida 64). Without opening any other programs, check the temperature at minimum load. If it rises above 50 degrees Celsius, it is imperative to lower the set value of the processor frequency.
How to increase processor performance on a laptop: the easy way
If you have no desire to understand the BIOS interface, install a program that can slightly increase the maximum frequency. They automatically perform the required actions for you. You need to choose software depending on the processor manufacturer:
- AI Booster or AMD Overdrive (for AMD notebooks);
- Intel Desktop Control Center (for Intel notebooks).
- Read the instructions carefully before using the programs.
There are different methods of overclocking a computer processor, but each one is a rather serious risk. You can simply “burn” the processor if something goes wrong. Therefore, it is best to decide before buying a laptop what exactly you need it for and select a computer with sufficient power.