Basic methods of system recovery
In most cases, you can reset your system to factory settings or restore Windows to working system files on your computer. This does not require a special education or deep knowledge of software. It is enough to use the tips below. The following methods are considered the most effective:
- Loading the last known good configuration;
- Built-in Windows System Restore;
- Using the system boot disk.
In different situations, one of the above methods will help to make a return to the previous state. Each user should be able to debug the system, so let’s dwell on how to restore Windows in more detail.
Windows System Restore
It is usually used after the previous method, which gave NO results. The operating system has the ability to make several restore points, which record the state of all programs at a certain point. You can make such points yourself or adjust the frequency of autosaves.
Before creating a restore point manually, it is better to close running programs. We go to the “Control Panel” and select the item “System”. Next, go to the “System Protection” menu, in the window that opens, select “Create a restore point” and specify its name. After the end of the procedure, a system message will be displayed. “The recovery point was created successfully”.
To start the recovery procedure, go to the “Start” menu, click on the “Control Panel”, go to the item “Recovery. Start System Restore”. In the window that opens, you can select the last point or view all available ones. Clicked “Search for affected programs”, you will see the entire list of applications that will be changed. It is usually sufficient to select a point 3-4 days before the occurrence of faults and failures. After selecting a restore point and confirming it, the computer will restart.
In the same menu, you can restore using a pre-made image. It is pre-saved on a dvd-medium, USB flash drive or external hard drive. Today, parameters are most often restored from an image via a usb connection. it is quick and convenient.
For inexperienced users, it is better to leave all the Proposed settings by default, after several transitions I confirm the reset process, clicked the Finish button. It is worth noting that if you created a backup with errors or the media with the image was damaged, then the system startup may be interrupted. In this case, it is better to install the new environment on the computer with the hard drive formatted first.
Load Last Known Good Configuration
In different laptop models, entering Safe Mode for further system reset or recovery is carried out using the system utilities. Below are the combinations to run some of them:
- ASUS. F9;
- Dell XPS. F8;
- Lenovo ThinkPad. F11;
- Lenovo IdeaPad. dedicated OneKey Rescue key
- Toshiba. F8 or 0;
- Sony VAIO. F10 or ASSIST key;
- HP Pavilion. F11;
- LG. F11;
- Rover. Alt (hold)
- Samsung. F4.
On recent PCs with UEFI, you will need to change the defaults when selecting an OS to enter Safe Mode. detailed information can be found in the technical documentation.
Last Known Good Configuration can be used to rollback the latest drivers that you might not have installed correctly. Or get back working system files that have been affected by malware. This method of returning to the previous configuration will help with minor bugs and freezes, which appeared with the latest changes in the system. In case of more serious breakdowns, it may be useless and you will need to try other methods to get the files back.
3 ways you can reset Windows 7 to factory settings
Every PC user faced a problem when the operating system began to malfunction and rebooted frequently. This happens due to the loss of system files, a large number of viruses or technical hardware problems.
It is especially frustrating to get into a situation where Windows stops loading. This can lead to loss of data: valuable documents, music and photos.
Using the system boot disk
If Windows is severely disrupted or if viruses are severely affected, a boot disk may be required. With it, you can reset the system or roll it back to a working state and the desired settings. In safe mode, select the item “Troubleshooting computer problems”, then insert the disc into the dvd drive and in the window that opens, click on the button “System Restore”.
The program offers us a choice of several ways to set the default parameters:
- Startup Repair. finding major problems that prevent Windows from starting;
- System Restore. search for a restore point with working settings to reset;
- System image recovery. using a previously made backup;
- Windows Memory Diagnostics. check system memory;
- Command line. working with files via text term.
The recovery process is the same as with the built-in application. But working with the disk, you exclude the possibility of harmful effects on the work of viruses and second third-party software.
Hard reset to factory settings
If the above recovery methods do not work, you can try to perform a full reset to factory settings. For this, some models of laptops and PCs have a hidden system partition with a copy of Windows in a basic state.
Manufacturers offer users special utilities, thanks to which the reset process will become SIMple and straightforward. The principle of operation of such programs is SIMilar and even inexperienced users can understand them. You can start the utility using a special key or through safe mode during computer boot. If such a utility is provided by the developer, then its name will be displayed at the end of the list of parameters for recovery.
In the window that opens, we need to select the first item. “Restore to the state at the time of purchase.” After the end of the work, the computer will be rebooted, it will be rolled back to factory settings (you will need to select the default language again and create an account).
It is worth noting that all files that were previously on the hard drive will be deleted irrevocably. Therefore, we recommend that you save everything you need to a USB flash drive or other medium in advance.
Resetting Windows 7 to Factory Settings
There are several ways to reset Windows settings to factory state. First of all, you should decide exactly how you want to reset: return the Initial settings only to the operating system, or, in addition, completely clean the computer of all installed programs. In the latter case, all data will be completely deleted from the PC.
You can reset Windows settings by running the tool required for this procedure through the “Control Panel”. Be sure to back up your system before activating this process.
- Click “Start”. Go to “Control Panel”.
In the window that appears, select the lowest item “Restore system parameters”.
Next, go to the inscription “Advanced recovery methods”.
Choose the last item. As you can see, it can have a different name on different PCs, depending on the parameters set by the computer manufacturer. If you see the title “Return the computer to the manufacturer’s state” (most often this option happens in laptops), then you just need to click on this inscription. If the user sees the item “reinstall Windows”, then before clicking on it, you need to insert the OS installation disk into the drive. It is worth noting that this must be exclusively the instance of Windows that is currently installed on the computer.
The second method involves using a system restore point. In this case, only system settings will be changed, and Downloaded files and programs will remain intact. But the main problem is that if you want to reset the parameters to the factory settings, then in order to do this, you need to create a restore point as soon as you purchased a laptop or installed the OS on a PC. And not all users do this.
- So, if you have a restore point created before using your computer, then go to the Start menu. Choose “All Programs”.
Then go to the “Standard” directory.
In the directory that appears, look for the “System Restore” item and click on it.
The selected system utility is launched. The OS recovery window opens. Here just click “Next”.
Then a list of restore points opens. Be sure to check the box next to Show other restore points. If there is more than one option, and you do not know which one to choose, although you are firmly sure that you created a point with the factory settings, then in this case, select the earliest point by date. Its value is displayed in the “Date and Time” column. Highlighting the relevant item, click “Next”.
In the next window, you just have to confirm that you want to roll back the OS to the selected restore point. If you are confident in your actions, then click “Finish”.
As you can see, there are two options to reset the operating system state to factory settings: by reinstalling the OS and returning the settings to a previously created restore point. In the first case, all installed programs will be removed, and in the second, only the system parameters will be changed. Which method to use depends on a number of reasons. For example, if you did NOT create a restore point immediately after installing the OS, then you only have the option that was described in the first method of this guide. In addition, if you want to clean your computer from viruses, then only this method is also suitable. If the user does NOT want to reinstall all the programs that are available on the PC, then you need to act in the second way.
If you have reinstalled the OS and cleaned the HDD on the laptop, you can resort to using the system recovery tool. This will allow Windows to roll back to a stable state using restore points.
Restoring settings on an ASUS laptop
There are two ways to reset all settings on ASUS laptops depending on the changes you made.
Restoring factory settings on an ASUS laptop
ASUS notebook allows you to roll back all settings to their original state, but only under certain conditions. In this article, we will talk about restoring factory settings.
Regardless of the operating system installed by default, each ASUS laptop has a special “Recovery” section that stores files for emergency system recovery. This section can be used to restore factory settings, but only in cases where OS reinstallation and hard disk formatting were NOT performed on the device.
Enabling the utility
- Follow the instructions to open the BIOS of your laptop and go to the “Main” page.
Using the utility
- Restart the laptop and during its boot up in the appearance of the Windows logo press the “F9”.
From the opened list, it should be named according to the “Return to original state” block.
Confirm your consent to delete user files.
At the last step, you need to click the “Reset” or “Reset” button.
The entire subsequent process is carried out in automatic mode, requiring you to only make Some changes to the settings.
The main disadvantage of this method is the complete removal of any user files from the local disk on which Windows is installed.
It is also important to roll back the BIOS to its original state. In this process, we told in a separate article on our website.
The considered methods of rolling back a laptop to factory settings should be enough to restore the operating system and the device as a whole. You can also contact us in the comments if you encountered any difficulties.
Restoring laptop and computer to factory settings
Factory settings on a laptop may be required in a variety of cases. For example, your computer is heavily clogged with various programs, or errors often occur, the computer is very slow and nothing helps. Also, using a reset, you can get rid of the locked Windows problem.
All of these problems can be solved by resetting the laptop to factory settings. Let’s get started.
By the way, I would like to say that there are times when it is impossible to come to the factory settings. The fact is that some users who have bought a laptop, immediately, or after a while, reinstall Windows, which came with the laptop. Hidden partition is often removed to allow recovery to the hard drive.
It also happens that by calling the wizard for computers, he reinstalls Windows, then, most often, the same thing happens. the recovery partition is deleted. So it’s better to do it all yourself.
If this happens, you will most likely have to look for a data recovery drive, you can try downloading the image online. The best option, of course, would be to reinstall the system.
We will move on to those cases where it is possible to bring the laptop to the factory state.
But this will delete all data from the C drive, Windows will be reinstalled and the key will not be required to enter. After reinstalling and starting the system, the installation of drivers and other components will begin.
How to Factory Reset an ASUS Laptop
- First you need to disable the built-in Boot Booster feature that makes your laptop boot up faster. This is done in the BIOS. To do this, turn on the device, when the download starts, press F2, got into BIOS, find where this function is disabled. Go to the Boot tab and there we look for the Boot Booster item, press Enter on it and select Disabled. On the last tab, select Save changes and exit. The laptop will save the settings and restart. After booting, turn off the laptop again.
- Turn on your device and then press the F9 key. A loading screen will appear.
- The factory settings program will prepare the data for recovery, after which a message will appear stating whether you really want to recover the data. Don’t forget that everything from the disk will be deleted!
- Further, DO NOT touch anything, the recovery process is automatic. The computer will restart several times during the recovery.
How to factory reset your Acer laptop
To do this on an Acer laptop, you need to do the following:
- Turn on the laptop and, while holding Alt, press F10 several times, the system should ask for a password.
- If you have NOT restored anything before, then the standard password is six zeros (000000).
- In the window that appears, select Factory reset (reset to factory settings).
By the way, a return to factory settings can be done in the Windows operating system itself. To do this, you need to find the eRecovery Management utility on your computer, go to the Recovery tab and reset the settings.
How to Factory Reset a Samsung Laptop
In order to restore this laptop to the factory state, you need to use the Recovery Solution utility that is located in Windows itself. If this utility is available, then restart your computer and press F4, the recovery utility will start.
- Select the item Restore.
- Next, the Complete Restore item
- Selecting a restore point Computer Initial Status.
- A message appears about Reboot, click “Yes”
- Follow the system prompts.
After completing the work, you will need to restart the laptop again in order to activate the recovery made by the program.
Restoring factory settings on an HP laptop
So, to carry out this operation on an HP laptop, you need:
- Turn on the laptop and press the F11 key, the Recovery Manager will appear.
- Select the item System Recovery (System Recovery).
- If you are prompted to save the necessary data, saving.
- The data recovery process will begin, also DO NOT touch anything, the process is automatic and the computer. The computer may restart several times.
How to restore factory settings on a Toshiba laptop
To restore a laptop, you will have to carry out how many manipulations:
- Press the 0 key in the keyboard and hold.
- Turn on the laptop.
- I release the 0 key when the computer starts to face.
The second option to enter on this laptop, if the first did NOT work:
- I turn off the laptop, then press F12.
- Do not release your finger from the F12 key, turn on the laptop.
- Wait for the corresponding window to appear.
The recovery utility will start, just follow its instructions, it is not so difficult there.
I hope this article helped you in solving your problems, if you have any questions, ask in the comments.
It was the turn of the South Korean manufacturer and the answer to the question of how to return a Samsung laptop to factory settings.
Resetting your Asus laptop to factory settings:
- Turn on the computer and hold the F9 function key until the Boot Manager menu opens.
- Run “Windows Setup”.
- Check the “Restore to the first partition” option.
- Click “Finish” to start the system rollback.
You don’t need to press and enter anything else. the recovery utility will figure out how to return your ASUS laptop to factory settings.
By the way, pressing the F9 key when turning it on for the first time will NOT lead to anything, since the “Boot Booster” function is activated in ASUS notebooks by default. It must be disabled in the BIOS. To do this, enter the BIOS, in the “Boot” item, set the parameter value to the “Disabled” position.
Let us continue with the story of how to reset your Acer laptop to factory settings. You can perform this procedure from a running Windows (the utility is called “Acer Recovery Management”) or through the recovery tools.
How to reset a laptop to factory settings?
So, if you want to Get the system in the state in which it was when buying a laptop (without brakes, freezes, unnecessary programs and files), then choose a laptop of your manufacturer and Follow the described steps.
Let’s start with one of the most famous laptop manufacturers. Asus.
Resetting your Toshiba laptop to factory settings:
- Turn off your laptop.
- Press the number “0” and hold the key.
- Don’t let go of the key, turn on your laptop.
- When the computer starts beeping, Release “0”.
The screen will display the program Restore settings to factory state. you need to follow all the instructions of the restore wizard, but how to return Toshiba laptop to factory settings if you have an old model? Here you will have to use the “Troubleshooting” section, which can be selected in the menu of additional boot options (F8 key when turning on the computer).
- Select Toshiba HDD Recovery among the recovery tools.
- Press “Next” until the program does NOT start the rollback procedure (it is advisable to read the information provided).
- Provide username and password and set date and time.
After a short wait, you will see the system again in its original, factory condition.
If you are looking for how to reset your Dell laptop to factory settings, you can follow the instructions above (via Troubleshoot).
Factory reset on Lenovo IdeaPad
It is worth noting that this operation will entail the deletion of files that are stored on the hard drive, so it is worthwhile to make a backup of important data in advance. The IdeaPad notebook series can be restored to factory settings using the dedicated OneKey Rescue System, which is installed by default. So let’s get straight to the point.
- The first step is to turn off the computer and turn it on again using a special button that shows an arrow pointing down.
- After downloading the software, a special menu will appear on the Lenovo laptop screen. In it you need to select the item “OneKey Recovery”.
- Next, in a new window, you must select one of the proposed options. The best is to restore from the original backup.
- A note will appear where you need to reconfirm your decision.
- After restoring the parameters, the laptop needs to be rebooted. Now you have a computer with standard settings at your disposal.
Restoring Laptop Factory Settings | pieces of code
When a laptop starts to slow down terribly due to a heap of installed and incorrectly removed programs, system junk, a lot of temporary files and other unpleasant things, the most logical solution is to roll back the system to its original state. In this article, we’ll take a look at how to reset a laptop to factory defaults using the examples of all major manufacturers. Many users will argue that it is easier to reinstall Windows. But system rollback has the same consequences as reinstallation, but it is much faster and does not require a boot disk. In addition, users are freed from the need to search for and install drivers. after returning to the original state, they just need to reinstall the programs necessary for operation. Each laptop manufacturer equips its devices with a proprietary recovery utility. However, work with them is carried out according to the same scheme and requires compliance with a number of rules:
- During system rollback, the adapter must be plugged into the laptop so that the power is NOT interrupted. Interrupting the rollback procedure is fraught with more serious problems than just a lagging computer.
- It is better to transfer all important data from the hard disk to removable media. after successful recovery, return it back.
- Some utilities can recover only the system partition (drive C 🙂 or all partitions of the hard disk. It is recommended to perform a full recovery (in this case, all data from the hard drive will be deleted, so move them to another location. see point 2).
How to Factory Reset on Lenovo Laptop
Lenovo laptops are very popular because of the optimal combination of price and quality. Today we are going to talk about how to restore laptop to factory settings. In the work of the computer, various malfunctions can often occur, which affect the functioning of any components. Factory reset helps restore normal system performance.
How to factory reset a Lenovo laptop. How to clean a laptop to factory settings. Factory reset your Acer Aspire laptop
Operating system malfunctions, viruses and spyware can significantly affect the normal operation of your laptop. You can restore stability using software tools, but if they DO NOT help, then you will have to do a factory reset of the Acer Aspire laptop.
Important: Remember that a factory reset will delete all user information from the system disk and reinstall the operating system. SIMply put, the laptop will revert to the state it was at the time of purchase. Therefore, if possible, make sure to back up all your data before resetting.
How to reset Windows 7 to factory settings
Unfortunately, the “seven” Plasma has a quick reset to factory settings, which is an obstacle to returning the computer to its original form without using additional knowledge. If your task is to return your computer to its original state, you can use the following options:
- Due to “Troubleshoot computer problems” in “Advanced Boot Options”;
- Using your distribution kit, which came with a PC or laptop.
If you are more inclined to the second option, then you just need to boot from the distribution and select system restore there. Then everything will happen along the knurled.
In the case of the first option, you need to get to the menu “Additional download options”. For most computers (laptops), this can be done with the F8 key, which must be pressed immediately after the computer starts booting (without exiting standby or hibernation). When it is loaded, you need to select “Troubleshoot computer problems”.
Next, you will go to the “System Recovery Options” window. It contains some features that can actually be used to boot the system as a whole. Among them, either a built-in reset or a proprietary one will be hidden. In this case, for example, we have the option to restore the factory settings of a Toshiba laptop.
You will need to go to this item and follow the prompt of the built-in utility so that you can restore the factory settings. Please note that all files on the Hard Drive that you used / saved will be permanently deleted.
What is a Windows factory reset
Let’s start with the fact that the factory settings are the PC configuration, which is installed initially and is the main one for this unit of equipment. All changes that were made by the user during use “knock down” the factory settings and the computer is considered NOT new. Resetting to the settings “out of the box”. transition to the original state, ie. Getting rid of user settings in general, and in some cases, even from files and other data that are left after him.
It is recommended that you reset only when it is really necessary. Please note that if you have previously reinstalled Windows either yourself or with the help of computer system wizards, you may NOT be able to go to the factory settings. The whole point is that with an incorrect reinstallation (stupidly from one disc on which a pirated copy of Windows is written), a special recovery partition disappears on the Hard Disk, in which a copy of the installation version is stored.
This indicates that it will SIMply not be possible to go to the factory settings. you will need the same distribution kit, which was used initially, and not any other (even if the Windows versions are the same). Otherwise, you will NOT return the computer to its original form (programmatically) in any way. Therefore, treat reinstalling Windows more judiciously and seriously. if you use the services of wizards, ask them to reinstall Windows so that the recovery partition is not affected. If, nevertheless, the recovery partition has been deleted. all you can do is install any convenient version of Windows by the method of clean installation (with the removal of all data) and at least somehow, but create the appearance of a reset to factory settings.
How to reset Windows 10 to factory settings
The top ten retains the same recovery functionality as in Windows 8, but to get there, you need to go a slightly different path.
- To do this, go to “Start” and click “Options”;
- In the parameters, select “Update and Security”:
- Among the expanded list of items (in different versions of Windows 10, it may look different), we find the “Recovery” item and click it:
- The recovery tools menu items have become the second, but we only need one: “Reset the computer to its original state”;
- After clicking the “Start” button, you will be presented with two options:
a) Just delete files from your PC (without reinstalling the system);
b) Completely reinstall the system and delete files. real factory reset.
You just choose what you need and then you will need to wait for the end of the process to return to the standard settings.
The debate about which is better than Windows 10 or Windows 7 does NOT subside. This phenomenon is NOT accidental. Microsoft developers claim that nothing is better than Windows 10, and experienced users say the opposite, they say the system is more reliable than Windows 7 now.
Sometimes, when installing programs or applications, a message appears on the computer screen stating that error 5 Windows 10 has occurred. This means that the user is denied access. This happens if there are several accounts in the system.
For a long time we have not had large reviews on our site, let alone such global ones, which are associated with updating / reinstalling the operating system. This is a concise but very helpful overview of how to upgrade to Windows.
Factory reset Windows
Computers love “cleanliness”, both on the hard drive and dust-free on the hardware. If the second question can be dealt with easier. just to carry out cleaning, then with the first it is not so easy. The main problem for novice users is the desire to install more “useful” programs and the inability to properly use the computer’s disk space, which entails malfunctions in its operation. When the situation is at its peak, users have no choice but to reset Windows to factory settings. Our article will describe in detail how to restore the system to the “out of the box” view for different versions, starting with Windows 7.
How to reset Windows 8 | 8.1 to factory settings
In the case of Windows 8, things are more favorable. The system interface provides for the use of the built-in factory reset program directly from the “Control Panel”, as well as from the “additional boot options”. Let’s look at this in more detail to improve understanding.
- In this version of Windows, the usual “Control Panel” is there, but you can go an easier way to enter the desired menu. You just need to swipe the screen from top to bottom. This can be done both from the regular interface and from the Metro panel;
- Select “Options” and then “Change computer settings”:
- If you have version 8. select “General”, if 8.1. “Update and recovery”. We have the second option, so we select the Corresponding item. Then everything happens the same way in both Windows 8 and Windows 8.1;
- We select the item “Recovery” and we get three ways to restore the state of the system;
- The first option is a recovery without deleting files, i.e. Depending on which restore point will be selected. This is not a return to factory settings, so we discard this option. The second point is the complete removal of all user files, accounts on the computer, etc. The system will be reinstalled from the hidden partition if it is not removed. Otherwise, you will need the distribution kit of the version of Windows that was installed initially. otherwise you will not be able to go to the same factory settings. The third option is a combination of the first two and additional ones, which in this case are NOT relevant.
- Click “Start” under the second option and go through all the stages with the “Recovery Wizard” gradually. After that, the computer will restart and return to its original state. The process is NOT one of the fast ones, but it will be necessary to be near the PC at this time (not constantly. when the system is reinstalled, it will be possible to move away).