Blog of the young admin. How to find out the processor frequency?
In the last month alone, I posted two articles on the site, one way or another related to the processor. In one of them, you can find out how many cores are in the processor, and the second article will tell you about how to find out which processor is installed on a computer or laptop. Today I will analyze one more question related to the processor, namely, I will tell you how to find out its clock frequency.
What is Clock Speed? I decided NOT to reinvent the wheel, but simply turned to Wikipedia for a definition. Here’s what it says:
In simpler terms, the clock frequency is one of the most important characteristics of the processor, since the speed of the device depends on it in particular. That is, the performance of the processor depends on the clock frequency, although NOT completely and NOT in all cases.
And now let me tell you how, in fact, to find out this value, if you do not know.
A fascinating blog of enthusiastic IT specialists. Documentation
When buying a processor, documentation is always given, where you can fully see the name of this device. For example, it can be: Intel Core i7-4790k 4GHz / 8Mb / 88W. Pay attention to the 4GHz specification. this is the 4 GHz Clock Speed.
In some cases, the processor is shipped unmarked in packaging. It doesn’t matter, take the invoice and look. it will always indicate the exact name of the device, where, among other things, you can see the clock frequency.
This fully applies to those cases when you are purchasing an already assembled system unit. And if in this case all the characteristics are NOT indicated on the invoice, it is possible that this was done with intent to mislead the buyer (instead of expensive components, cheaper ones are installed). be careful.
As for laptops, everything is the same here. But in the case of the latter, you can also type the model number in a search engine and see which components are installed in the device.
Third party software
Of course, you can find out such a parameter as the CPU clock speed using third-party software. Which program is better for you, I cannot say, because there are a great many of them and in fact everything depends only on your own taste. But I can say that the CPU-Z utility has long earned its trust, besides, it is distributed completely free of charge.
Download the utility, run it (there is a portable version, and not requiring installation) and right on the main CPU tab, find the Specification indicator, where your processor model will be indicated.
IN SEPARATE cases, if for some reason the above methods do not suit you, you can use the BIOS, but this is quite an extreme option.
Go to the BIOS (most often you need to press the DEL or ESC key before loading the operating system), then find the Processor item. Most often it is located right on the main Main tab. Here you will see the processor model.
If suddenly something did not work out for you, you can always ask your question through the comments.
There is also a simpler option, thanks to which it is not necessary to raise the documentation. You can use the utility built into the Windows operating system.
All you need is to find the “Computer” icon on the desktop (if it is not there, open the Start menu “and you will see it there), right-click on it and select” Properties “.
This will open a window to view basic information about your computer. One of the items will be “Processor”. Here is the complete information about him.
Post comments “How to find out the processor frequency?
Thanks, CPU-Z helped out a lot!
Everest frequency on the computer will show?
Why do you need Everest, it is paid. Yuzai cpu-z.
Silly question, why the processor speed is 2.20, and in the task manager 2.50-60 in idle? I did NOT overclock. Thank you in advance!
Hello !! Help out. AMD FX-9590, in fact, has a clock (base) frequency of 4.7 Ghz, and it shows 4.00 Ghz for me, how to beat this? Thanks in advance
What to fear?
Replacing a laptop processor with a more powerful one is accompanied by a number of nuances:
- Users who do not have experience in assembling a computer can make a mistake with the selection of components, which can lead to breakdown of the entire device. If you act carelessly, you can damage many units, and you will be forced to spend a fairly large amount to restore or buy a new device. If you are NOT confident in your abilities, it is recommended to contact a specialized service center, where the work will be carried out by specialists.
- If your device is under warranty, then any action of such a plan immediately removes it from warranty service. Having changed the processor and then, having found significant breakdowns, you will have to pay for the repair of the device yourself.
Intel core 2 duo replacement
If your motherboard has become unusable, then you also most likely need to replace the laptop processor with a more powerful one. Asus Intel core 2 duo. laptops and computers with 64-bit processors. Their production was started back in 2006, and today processors of this model are veterans among modern devices. At the time of its release, it was famous for its speed and availability. All devices that are currently working on this typewriter, unfortunately, are outdated and require modernization. But this processor is so old that the motherboard on which it is installed is Plasma modern processors. If you want to make your device running Core 2 Duo faster and more modern, then you should also think about buying a motherboard.
What to change?
Replacing a laptop processor with a more powerful one is a rather complicated process. It will be problematic to find the microprocessor model that fits the motherboard. For example, on stationary computers this process is much easier, since the market is teeming with different units for one or another type of board. During the selection, some of the components are eliminated, including expensive and powerful models, and users have no choice but to look for their part among the broken devices. All of these devices can be found at various auctions, where they are sold at ridiculous prices, but you shouldn’t wait for huge performance gains after installing them. Your laptop will get faster, but the result will be far from your expectations.
Replacing the processor step by step
Replacing a laptop processor with a more powerful one in lenovo y580 is rather primitive and proceeds according to the following scenario:
- The first step is to choose the model that matches the type of connector on your motherboard. This stage is considered quite responsible, since your choice may be completely useless and lead to a waste of money.
- The next step is to prepare all the necessary tools that will be needed during the modernization process. Basically, it’s a small screwdriver and a tube of thermal paste.
- After disassembling the laptop, you need to remove the cooling system from your processor.
- We remove the processor and clean the place of its installation from the old thermal paste.
- Before installation, you should thoroughly coat all components with thermal paste.
- Installing parts in reverse order.
- We assemble the laptop case and check the performance of your device.
If the components are installed correctly, the laptop will work and you can start working with it.
Replacing a laptop processor with a more powerful one: Step by step instructions
With the invention of the laptop, almost everyone was able to be free. This device allows you to carry with you all the necessary tools for office work, as well as leisure and entertainment. Having got out into nature, you can still control your affairs or entertain yourself with your favorite game. Thanks to this, all mobile devices have gained great popularity. In the life of every user, there comes a moment when his device is no longer as powerful and fast as it seemed before. With the release of new programs and games, system requirements become higher, and your laptop is no longer able to work with them. Replacing a laptop processor with a more powerful one has become the most popular device upgrade. Modernization is the replacement of old, weak components with modern, more powerful ones. The processor is faced with the task of performing a number of functions, which puts users. All these tasks are performed in the operating system, and their solution ensures acceptable device performance. Often, to completely solve the problem of a weak computer, you have to replace the motherboard and the processor.
When to replace?
Replacing a laptop processor with a more powerful one can also be caused by many technical reasons. The main ones are:
- Power surges.
- Damage to the electrical network in an apartment, office, etc.
- Physical damage.
Replacing the heart with your laptop will make it much faster, but remember that every device has a certain resource. And, accordingly, it is impossible to install not any processor, namely the one that fits your motherboard. Basically, the replacement is relevant on initially powerful devices, which, after 3-5 years of use, become not as relevant as at the time of purchase. Manufacturers should be thanked for the opportunity to increase productivity, at the expense of very low costs.
If your device’s “brain” has completely deteriorated, then only replacing a laptop processor with a more powerful one can help you. AMD is the second largest processor company. It is also the largest GPU manufacturer. The products of this company are famous for their good performance and low price. The main competitor of this company is intel. AMD, with the release in 2010 of its first 6-core processor, which is designed to compete with the mainstream i5 and i7 models, broke into the market and took the leading position. AMD’s lineup is very diverse. In his arsenal, you can find a processor for almost all motherboard models, and these components have a very wide price category. Each user can choose to match their needs and wallet size.
If you bought a laptop, but some of the system parameters do not suit you, then replacing the laptop processor with a more powerful one will also help you. HP is a well-known and well-established company almost everywhere. They produce quite powerful laptops with the possibility of further upgrades. Replacing the processor on this device is practically no different from other manufacturers. And the installation, like everyone else, begins with the selection of components. HP makes its devices mainly on well-known processors from intel. This company is a leader among manufacturers of components and in its model range you can always find a processor, practically, for any motherboard.
Replacing i3 with i5
But, as a rule, it is when the device is upgraded that the laptop processor needs to be replaced with a more powerful one. I3 to i5 is the most common modification of changing processors. At the moment, in the portable electronics market, there are more and more laptops with a good resource and room for improvement. Basically, all laptops have pre-installed intel processors in their arsenal. These devices are the best option for a compact laptop, which, if necessary, can be improved to such characteristics that some desktop computers cannot boast of. The most common modification is to replace the i3 processor with an i5 processor, since the difference between them is enormous. The i3 processor is the little brother and runs on two cores, but there are also models equipped with Multiple Processing Threads, which brings it closer to the performance of an i5.
Step-by-step instructions on how to overclock a processor on a laptop using Windows
You now know all the pros and cons. It’s time to talk about how to overclock a processor on a laptop. To do this, you need to go into BIOS.
However, before overclocking the processor, do the following:
- Clean your laptop from various “rubbish”. That is, delete unnecessary files from the hard disk of the device.
- Optimize windows. For example, remove unnecessary applications from startup or Disable services that you DO NOT use.
- Eliminate system errors.
- Update drivers.
- Check your laptop for viruses. And best of all With several programs.
The fact is that many start overclocking the processor on a laptop. But in fact, the device slows down and freezes for trivial reasons. the operating system is not configured properly, malicious software interferes with the computer, etc. So first we eliminate all errors, remove unnecessary files and viruses, speed up the CPU speed by installing fresh drivers, etc. As soon as you are done with this, you can proceed to the procedure for overclocking the processor.
The easiest and safest way is to change the power mode. This overclocking option works on any laptop from any manufacturer. Asus, Lenovo, Acer, HP, Samsung, Dell, etc. For example, consider the whole process on a device running Windows 10:
- Through “Start” go to the “System” section.
- On the left, select the item “Power and sleep mode”.
- Next, click on “Additional power options”. The corresponding button will be the case.
- Now in the window that appears, expand the menu “Show additional schemes”.
- Set the marker to the “High performance” mode.
How to overclock a processor on a laptop
Every second user at least once thought about how to increase the performance of a laptop. After all, due to this, the device will work faster with many games and applications. The most common option is to overclock the processor and increase its clock speed. But how complicated is this procedure, often referred to as “overclocking”? Is overclocking a laptop chipset safe? What unpleasant consequences should be feared? Finally, how do you increase the processor power on your laptop yourself? You will find answers to these and many other questions in this article.
Pros and cons
Processors from both Intel and AMD lend themselves to overclocking or, more simply, “overclocking”. Indeed, many of them operate at only 60-70% of their maximum power. This fact allows overclocking of many CPUs, bringing the indicator closer to 100%. However, how effective and safe is all this??
Therefore, for a start, it is worth deciding how useful overclocking a processor on a laptop is. In addition, you need to talk about the negative consequences that may appear after increasing the power of the chipset.
Let’s start with the pros. Perhaps he is only one. But they are quite substantial. After all, it does not spend a single ruble, you can get a more powerful processor. But there are a little more cons:
- Increase energy consumption;
- The battery will be consumed faster;
- The device will become hotter;
- The life of the processor itself will decrease.
It should be noted that overclocking a processor on a laptop is not only risky, but also difficult. This is due to the fact that on laptops, the performance gain is always small. It also often has to deal with overheating. The compact dimensions of all the “insides”, the close arrangement of components and a miniature cooling system only contributes to this. As a result, many laptop models already at the initial stages of overclocking get so hot that they constantly turn off and freeze.
Therefore, before you start overclocking a laptop processor, seriously evaluate all the pros and cons. It may be safer and more reliable to simply save money to buy a more powerful laptop. If you do decide to increase the processor’s performance, then remember that the maximum increase in power that you get is 10-15%. No other way. It is already unsafe.
Overclocking the processor on a laptop via BIOS
You can also overclock the laptop processor through the BIOS. This is done in different ways. However, we recommend starting by setting a fixed frequency. For this:
- We go to the BIOS menu. How to do it? For example, on an ASUS laptop, you need to press the F2 key at boot time. If you have a laptop from a second manufacturer, then try calling Esc, F6, F8, F12, Delete when you turn it on.
- We are looking for the Power BIOS Features section.
- Next, we are interested in the AGP / PCI Clock tab, in which we set the value to 66/33 MHz.
- Then we find the HyperTransport Frequency parameter and slightly reduce its frequency. At about 400 or 600.
- Keeping all changes. Press F10. Rebooting the laptop.
After THESE manipulations, the laptop should show a higher performance. You can also increase the parameters of the system bus. This is done again through the BIOS:
- In the POWER BIOS Features section (or Advanced Chipset Features or simply Advanced), select the CPU Clock tab. It can be called differently. For example, Clock Ratio, CPU Bus or CPU Ratio.
- The value displayed here is increased by 10 units.
- Save these changes by pressing the F10 button. Reboot the laptop.
- Now you need to test your laptop. The Everest program is suitable, through which you monitor the temperature of the central processor. It is important not to allow it to exceed 70-90 ° C (depending on the CPU model). If the value is higher, then go to BIOS again and lower the FSB frequency.
- If the laptop shows stable performance, you can increase the value by another 10 MHz. And so on until it starts to get very hot or a blue screen appears, freezes or other problems arise, which mean that the overclocking threshold is exceeded.
How to overclock a laptop processor using a utility?
Overclocking is a complex process. Therefore, some manufacturers release special software with which you can easily increase the power of your laptop. True, some users may have difficulties here as well. Therefore, we will tell you in detail how to overclock a laptop processor using the SetFSB utility.
- First of all, download the SetFSB program from the Internet.
- The next step is to define the PLL chip on the laptop processor. It is she who forms the frequency for various components. How do you know which chip is on your device? Use a search engine and try to find the specifications of the motherboard installed on your laptop. Among the various information, the PLL microcircuit can also be indicated. Naturally, you can remove the back cover and look directly at the marking of the microcircuit.
- Launch SetFSB. In the “Control” section in the “Clock Generator” window, select your PLL chip model.
- Click the Get FSB button. After that, the main window will display information about the various frequencies and the current processor frequency (Current CPU Frequency).
- We put a tick in front of the Ultra item. Move the central slider located below to the right. Literally at 10-20 MHz. Click the SetFSB button.
- Next, we test the laptop. To do this, you can use any program. For example, Preime95. If the laptop passed all the “tests” with dignity, then we return to the SetFSB junk and increase the frequency by another 10-15 MHz.
- And so on until the laptop starts to hang or reboot. This will mean that you have found the threshold for performance. On the contrary, we’ll have to “roll back” and lower the frequency by 10-15 MHz.
There are many other CPU overclocking programs out there. For example, for AMD chipsets, these are AI Booster and AMD OverDrive. For laptops with an intel processor, we can recommend the Intel Desktop Control Center.
How to find out the number of cores in a processor: instructions for Windows 10
With the development of computer components, the number of processor cores is steadily growing. This metric has long become synonymous with hardware performance: more cores mean more tasks that can be processed in parallel. In addition, many resource-intensive programs and games are designed for a large number of logical threads to improve optimization.
You can find out the number of CPU cores in different ways. We will learn about the simplest and fastest of them, and do not require the installation of Special programs.
CPU Information in Device Manager (Windows 10)
Another utility that allows you to quickly find out all the basic characteristics of the installed CPU is Windows Device Manager.
The number of processor cores in Windows 10 can be obtained in the following way:
- Find the shortcut on your desktop “This computer” or enter the name in the search bar;
- Right-click on the shortcuts and select “Properties”;
- You can also open the Device Manager utility window by going to the dialog “Execute” and entering the command “devmgmt.Msc”;
- The System window will appear. On the left side of the screen, select “Device Manager”;
- In the menu, you can see data about all components of the computer. Find the item “Processors” and open it. Menu terms appear, the number of which is equal to the number of PC cores. You can immediately read the name of each of them, manufacturer and frequency.
“A plus” this method. you can see the Details of each physical core of the device in real time. Disadvantage. Using this option, you cannot find out the number of processor threads.
Through the Task Manager
This system utility. This is a treasure trove of data in the state of the device and its technical characteristics. Calling the Task Manager, you can find out all the necessary information, which will allow you to find out how well the CPU copes with tasks.
How to find out how many cores and threads are in the processor:
- Calling the Task Manager by pressing the Ctrl Alt Delete hot keys or by finding the program through Search;
- Go to the “Performance” tab;
- The section will open immediately “Central Bank”. Below the resource usage diagram, information about speed, operating time and much more will be displayed. Here you can also see a help on the number of threads, which are otherwise called logical processors.
- The number of streams is displayed in the left column opposite “Streams”.
- The number of cores is available through the right column in the row “Kernels”.
The presented method is good for its speed. You can get all the necessary information about the processor, how many cores and threads it has, in a few clicks.
Official website of the manufacturer
Once you know the manufacturer of your PC or laptop processor, it is easy to check the detailed specifications of the model on the main website of the CPU manufacturer.
For example, for the manufacturer Intel, the processor specifications can be found as follows:
- Go to Intel website.
- In the search bar, enter part of the processor name and press Enter.
- Find your processor in the search results.
- Click on the link to go to the technical specifications.
- In the Performance section find 2 lines: Number of threads and Number of cores.
If you have a second manufacturer’s device model (for example, AMD), just enter its name in any search engine and go on the first request. It will lead to the manufacturer’s official website and contain detailed performance information.
Viewing data in the CPU via “System information
Windows 10 has a built-in application for viewing complex information about the system, here you can also find information about the processor. This can be done in a couple of simple steps:
- Open the window “Execute” using search or a combination of hotkeys Win R;
- In the window that appears, enter the msinfo32 command;
- Click the button “OK”, to open the panel “System information”;
- On the right side of the screen, find the term “CPU”. It will indicate the CPU manufacturer, the number of physical cores and threads, and the processor frequency.
Utility “System information” provides extremely reliable information about all computer components.
Receiving data through the console
If you prefer to work with your computer’s command line interface (or PowerShell console), you can get the Processor Information you need with just one command. over, it does not have to enter it on behalf of the administrator.
- Open the team term through dialogue “Execute” by pressing on the Win R keyboard.
- In the window that appears, enter the command “cmd”.
- In the console enter “WMIC CPU Get DeviceID, NumberOfCores, NumberOfLogicalProcessors”.
- After a second of delay, a list of PC processors is displayed, and for each of them. Number of cores and logical processors.
Additional software often provides the user with more options than the built-in applications. Windows 10 has a lot of its own utilities, but you can learn everything about the processor using third-party tools.
The CPU-Z application offers wide functionality, which allows you to find out almost any data in the processor (including the number of processors) in a couple of clicks.
- You can download the utility at the following link on the Official page.
- After downloading the CPU-Z distribution, run the application;
- In the CPU tab, at the bottom right, the fields will be Presented “Cores”, as well as “Threads”: how many cores and threads are active in the processor, respectively;
- The same program provides useful information such as data on processor voltage and cache size.
If you have never seen the BIOS interface and DO NOT know how to work there, then it is better to leave this method. The instruction looks like this:
- You need to restart your computer to enter the BIOS menu. By the time the Windows logo appears, press the Del key or the keys from F2 to F12 (the required key depends on the specifications of the computer).
- In the “Main” section (opened by default immediately upon entering the BIOS), find the term “Processor Type”, which will indicate the name of the manufacturer, model and at the end the current frequency.
How to find out the processor frequency
Here the processor clock frequency is highly dependent on the performance and speed of the system. This indicator is NOT constant and may vary slightly during the operation of the computer. If desired, the processor can also be “overclocked”, thereby increasing the frequency.
You can find out the clock frequency both using standard methods and using third-party software (the latter gives a more accurate result).
CPU-Z is a program with an easy and intuitive interface that allows you to view in more detail all the characteristics of your computer (including the processor). Free distribution.
To see the frequency, just open the program and in the main window pay attention to the line “Specification”. The name of the processor will be written there and at the very end the current frequency in GHz will be indicated.
AIDA64 is a functional program for working with computer components. The software is paid, but there is a demo period. In order to view the data in the processor in real time, it will be quite enough. The interface is fully translated into Russian.
The instruction looks like this:
- In the main window go to “Computer”. This can be done both through the central window and through the left menu.
- Similarly, go to “Overclocking”.
In the field “CPU Properties” find the item “CB Name” at the end of which the frequency will be indicated.
It is worth remembering that the CPU clock speed is measured in hertz, but is usually indicated in either megahertz (MHz) or gigahertz (GHz).
It is also worth remembering that if you use the standard frequency check methods, you will NOT find such a word as “frequency” anywhere. Most likely you will see the following (example). “Intel Core i5-6400 3.2 GHz”. Let’s sort it out in order:
- “Intel”. these are the manufacturer’s names. Instead, it can be “AMD”.
- “Core i5” is the name for a line of processors. Instead, you may have written something completely different, however, this is not so important.
- “6400” is the specific processor model. You may also have different.
- “3.2 GHz” is the frequency.
The frequency can be found in the documentation for the device. But the data there may differ slightly from the real ones, because The docs say the average. And if before that, any manipulations were made with the processor, then the data can be strikingly different, therefore it is recommended to obtain information only by software.
Standard system tools
The easiest way of all, since K. No additional software installation or BIOS required. Find out the frequency using standard Windows tools:
- Go to “My Computer”.
- Click the right mouse button in any free space and go to “Properties”. Instead, you can also right-click on the “Start” button and select “System” from the menu (in this case, go to “My Computer” not necessary).
A window with basic information about the system will open. In the line “Processor”, at the very end, the current power is written.
It is very easy to find out the current frequency. In modern processors, this indicator is no longer the most important factor in terms of performance.
How to speed up the processor on a laptop: detailed instructions and programs
When buying a laptop, users often compromise, preferring compactness and portability to the detriment of performance. But they are always not averse to trying to overclock the processor on a laptop. CHIP will tell you how to do it.
Most modern laptops are equipped with powerful enough processors to perform office tasks. But this may not seem enough if video or photo processing is required. In this tutorial we will show you how you can speed up your laptop processor. But immediately warn that this can be fraught with consequences, including it may affect the stability of the system and power consumption.
How to speed up a processor on a laptop using overclocking
We note right away that not all models have the ability to increase the processor frequency on a laptop. This function is available mostly for gaming models and devices with a powerful processor and a good cooling system.
In general, and not many people know that almost any modern (and not so) laptop is already initially equipped with an automatic system for overclocking the processor and RAM. The manufacturer immediately indicates the frequency of the processor in standard operation mode and the maximum frequency to which the processor is overclocked under load. It is at the maximum frequency that the laptop cooling system is designed, which allows it to work stably, does not freeze and does NOT lose user information. This mode was determined by the test method at the manufacturer’s factory, but as an average value.
You can try to speed up the processor by increasing the bus frequency, which will affect both the CPU temperature and the stability of the RAM. Perhaps it is your copy that will withstand the increased frequencies, but the maximum that you can achieve is a 5-10% increase in performance. At the same time, it is worth remembering that the resource of the components of your laptop can be seriously reduced.
In order to find out if it is possible to overclock your laptop’s processor, use the free CPU-Z utility. In it, find out at what frequency the CPU works and if there is a chance to increase it.
After that, install the free utility SetFSB, with which you will overclock the laptop processor. This program will allow you to increase the speed of the CPU by increasing the clock frequency of the PLL (Phase Locked Loop) chip located on the laptop motherboard. It is not recommended to perform any actions by users, and those who do not have the Appropriate skills, because. This can lead to damage to PC components.
As an alternative tool, you can use the shareware program CPUFSB.
For the overclocking process, you need to know the PLL of your laptop‘s motherboard. You can find this code in the family of this equipment. One way is to go to laptop-schematics.com site of diagrams for laptops, find your model there, download the diagram and search in the System Block Diagram section according to Clock generator and find your PLL. Or it makes sense to look for it on this forum. In our case, there was NO scheme for Dell.
And this means that you will have to look for it either on the board itself, disassembling the laptop, or by using the selection method, which is very dangerous and NOT rational. But overclocking the processor is possible in the second way, in which we will describe below.
And for those who have found their PLL, all that remains is to launch SetFSB and find it in the “Clock Generator” list. After setting a suitable frequency, it is advisable to check the system for stability using the Prime 95 utility.
The main task facing the laptop user is to increase its performance. Of course, you won’t be able to improve the processor on a laptop, because. The chip is soldered to the motherboard and cannot be replaced. But to find out what bottlenecks in your laptop model will allow a small free utility PassMark PerformanceTest. It will conduct a test of all installed equipment in about 7 minutes and display its rating in general and in comparison with other computers in the world.
With its help, for example, you can determine that to speed up your PC it is better to replace the RAM with a faster one first and install an SSD instead of a very slow HDD.
If you already have the most optimal components installed, then it is worth checking the system settings to increase performance. After all, a laptop is a mobile computer, mostly powered by an internal battery. By default, to conserve battery power, Windows sets the CPU settings to medium. Setting the parameters in the “Power supply” section to “High performance” will speed up the computer up to 30%.
To do this in Windows 10 Right-click on the battery icon in the case tray, and select “Power supply” from the menu. Next, in the window that opens in the left pane, click “Windows Mobility Center”.
Find the battery icon in the options and select “High performance” from the drop-down menu. But it is worth considering that in this mode your laptop will lose battery very quickly. “Balanced” mode will allow you to use the full power of the processor when powered from the mains and reduce it to acceptable if you unplug the laptop from the outlet.
Overclocking your laptop automatically in two clicks
As we mentioned above, most modern laptops automatically overclock the bus speed when the load on the processor increases. For owners of laptops based on NVIDIA GPUs, a proprietary utility NVIDIA nTune is offered.
It will allow you to automatically set the maximum performance for intense games or tune the system for the quietest possible operation, for example, when watching a DVD.
Controlling processor frequency in Windows 10
Most modern processors use various energy saving technologies such as Intel SpeedStep or AMD Cool’n’Quiet. These technologies are based on dynamically changing the processor frequency depending on the load in order to reduce power consumption and heat dissipation.
For understanding, consider the general principles of these technologies.
The processor has performance states (P-States), which are a combination of the frequency multiplier (Frequency ID, FID) and supply voltage (Voltage ID, VID). The processor clock speed is obtained by multiplying the system bus (FSB) frequency by FID, respectively, the larger the multiplier, the higher the frequency, and vice versa. The number of states supported depends on the characteristics of the processor (max. Frequency, multiplier, etc.).
During initial boot, the BIOS generates a description of possible performance states. This description is read by the operating system at startup, consistent with the ACPI interface. During operation, the operating system monitors the processor load, when the load decreases, it calls the processor driver and puts the processor in a reduced state. By lowering the frequency and voltage, the processor will consume less power and, accordingly, heat up less. Well, when the load increases, the operating system again invites a change in the state of the processor, but in a larger direction.
When and in which of the states the processor is transferred, the operating system decides automatically, in accordance with the current energy saving policy. But, besides this, Windows has the ability to manually set the adjustment range, limit the minimum and maximum state.
My computer has an Intel Core I7 4790K. According to the specification, it has a base frequency of 4GHz, and with the introduction of Turbo Boost technology, it can accelerate to a maximum of 4.4GHz. In order to see the current speed of the processor, run the “Task Manager” (CtrlShiftEsc) and go to the “Performance” tab. As you can see, at the moment the load is small and the processor is working half-heartedly, the frequency of its operation is 1.84 GHz.
Let’s try to twist the processor frequency settings a little and see what happens. To start the power management snap-in, press the WinR keys and execute the powercfg.Cpl command.
In the window that opens, select the current power supply scheme, click on the link “Setting the power supply scheme”
And click on the link “Change advanced power settings”.
The frequencies of the processor correspond to the parameters “Minimum processor state” and “Maximum processor state” located in the “Processor power management” section.
Note that in laptops, there are two settings available for each setting. The first is responsible for the frequency of the processor during autonomous operation (from battery), the second. when operating on mains.
Let’s check how changing the settings affects the processor frequency. First, reduce the maximum state to 20% and check the result. As you can see, the operating frequency has dropped to about 0.78 GHz, which is just about 20% of the base frequency.
Interestingly, I failed to lower the frequency below 20%. When set to a value below 20%, the frequency continues to remain at the same level, i.e. For my processor 800MHz is the minimum supported frequency.
To find out why this is, run the CPU-Z diagnostic utility. As you can see, in our case the bus frequency is 100 MHz, and the multiplier changes in the range from 8 to 44. Hence, we get the possibility of changing the frequency from the minimum 800 MHz to the maximum 4.4 GHz in 100 MHz steps.
But switching is carried out not for each factor, but more discretely. In other words, the number of performance states is NOT the same as the number of multiplier values. All available states can be viewed using the RightMark Power Management utility. For example, only 15 states are available for the processor under test, and switching between them occurs with a variable step of 200-300 MHz.
But what does the minimum processor frequency affect? To check, we will set the value of the minimum frequency to 100% and make sure that the processor speed immediately rises almost to the maximum and reaches 4.3 GHz. And this despite the fact that the processor load was only 14%.
There is one more setting that is responsible for the frequency of the processor. By default, it is hidden and in order to see it, you need to make some manipulations in the registry. Therefore, open the registry editor (WinR.Regedit), go to the section HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Power \ PowerSettings \ 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 \ 75b0ae3f-bce0-45a7-8c89-c9611c25e parameter and find the parameter its value is 2.
After that, the “Maximum processor frequency” parameter will appear in the settings window. As the name suggests, this parameter is responsible for limiting the maximum frequency of the processor, its value is set in megahertz. By default, the parameter value is 0, which means there are no restrictions.
Let’s set the limit at 1500 MHz and check the result. Indeed, the limiting works and the frequency does not rise above the specified value.
It must be understood that frequency control works in the same discrete manner as in the case of states. For example, when setting the maximum frequency to 1200 MHz, the real limitation will be around 1000 MHz. This is not surprising, because switching is still performed between P-states, and the closest minimum value is chosen.
You can also change additional processor power settings from the Shell using the powercfg utility. First, let’s display all the available power settings with the command:
Find the required characteristics in the results obtained. Each section and parameter can be identified by its GUID or alias (Alias). For example, in the settings group “Processor power management” GUID 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00, and the alias SUB_PROCESSOR, for the “Maximum processor state” parameter, GUID 75b0ae3f-bce0-45a7-8c89-c9611c25e100 and the alias PROCTHROTTLEMA.
Knowing the necessary aliases or GUIDs, you can operate with the settings. So you can see the value of the “Maximum processor state” parameter with the following command (SCHEME_CURRENT means the current power supply scheme):
Powercfg / query SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMAX
In command, parameter values are shown in hexadecimal, i.e. The value 0x00000064 means 100%.
Please note that both AC and Battery options are available on the command line. The command will differ depending on the required option. So, the / SETACVALUEINDEX switch is responsible for setting the power supply from the mains, and the / SETDCVALUEINDEX switch is used for battery power. The difference is only in one letter, so you need to be careful and try not to confuse them. For the example below, the maximum processor state for mains power is up to 50%:
Powercfg / setacvalueindex CHEME_CURRENT SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMAX 50
Let’s check the result. As you can see, the current value is 0x00000032 (50%).
So, we made sure that the processor frequency adjustments in Windows 10 are there and even work. But in order to get a positive effect from them, you need a competent approach. The first step is to decide what you want to get as a result. increase productivity, increase battery life, lower temperatures, or something else. Then you need to find out the main parameters of your processor, such as bus frequency, multiplier, maximum operating frequency. And already Proceeding from this, empirically select the optimal values for yourself.