Headphone connection without additional adapter
- In the tray in the lower right corner, you should see a Bluetooth icon. If it is hidden, then just click on the arrow that points at the top to open hidden icons.
- Now click on the “Blue tooth” icon and from the drop-down list “Add Bluetooth devices”. If the device is turned off, turn on!
- Next, you need to turn on the headphones. For me, they are activated using the power button, which you need to hold down until the device starts to burn. Some models have a separate Bluetooth button that activates the transmitter.
- The computer will try to find any devices and in the “Options” window you will see the name of the headphones and the word “Paired” if the connection was successful.
Headphone connection with optional adapter
I will also tell you how to connect Bluetooth headphones to a computer, which immediately have a built-in adapter for a PC, which looks like a flash drive. That is, even if there is no Bluetooth on the PC, you can safely use the headphones.
- Turn on the headphones and plug the adapter into the USB port.
- In the start in the search bar, enter “Device connection”, click “view devices and printers”.
- Next, right-click on a free field. select “Add devices”.
- The operating system will frantically search for connected devices. The installation of the drivers will also begin. At the very end, you will see a window with a message that the device has been added.
- Now in the same place in “Devices and Printers” we right-click on our headset and select “Bluetooth Operations”.
- The system will automatically search for the required services. At the very end, click “Listen to music”.
Now you can turn on any player, video or watch movies on the Internet, and listen to sound from brand new headphones. If errors appear during installation, then install the drivers from the disk, since usually such a headset comes with an additional disk with software. In any other case, you can download the software from the official website.
If you have a full-fledged headset with a microphone like mine (from Bluedio), then you can chat on Skype and walk around the house with headphones. This is quite convenient, although before that you need to make some manipulations with the settings in Skype.
- Launch Skype.
- Let’s go to the settings. Skype versions are constantly updated, and this button opens differently in different versions of the program. so just search for the buttons.
- We go to the section “Sound and video”. Our Bluetooth device should be in the “microphone” section. If there is “Default communication device”, then just click on this inscription and select your headset.
Already at this stage, you can try to play any music, but problems may arise. The fact is that a successful Connect does not say that after that the sound will play without problems. So, if the sound is interrupted or the headphones are silent, we go to adjust the sound.
- Go to “Start” and look for “Control Panel”.
- Further, depending on the OS version, you need to go to the sound settings. Just find the speaker icon and double click.
- The settings menu will open. We are interested in the first tab “Playback”.
- Double click on the headphones. After that, in the line “Device Application”, there should be “Use this device (incl.)”. If not, then activate the headphones. Click “Apply”.
- For every fireman, restart your computer or laptop. After that, turn on Bluetooth on the PC, then activate the headphones and try again to listen to the sound.
Computers and laptops have a built-in sound card, which makes it possible to connect headphones with a microphone to the device without any problems. Stationary PCs usually have slots for this accessory on the back and front panels. Laptops are equipped with inlets on one side. The mini-jack is a standard 3.5 millimeter in size and is commonly used. The standard jack is 6.5 mm. Used mainly on studio equipment and for monitor headphones. Micro jack, has a size of 2.5 millimeters. This micro-connector was used on old cell phones.
Also, similar connectors on a computer are subdivided by color: green is the headphone input, pink is the microphone input, other colors are used to connect the line-out, additional speakers, etc. A combo connector is sometimes used on laptops. That is, only one input is installed, which includes immediately the connection of both headphones and a microphone.
How to connect headphones from a phone to a computer
First of all, you should check the performance of the headphones themselves. The easiest way to do this. connect them to any other device: player, TV, etc. If the headphones are working properly, you should start searching for software faults:
Check if the drivers are installed on the sound card. To do this, using the search, we find the device manager in the control panel. Having opened it, we pass to the lines related to audio devices. “Audio outputs and audio inputs”. During normal operation of all devices, there will be no icons next to them: crosses or exclamation marks. If such icons are present, you need to reinstall the sound card drivers. It is also possible that the sound is reduced to a minimum in Windows. You can turn up the volume by clicking on the speaker icon located in the lower right corner of the desktop.
The process of connecting Bluetooth headphones to a laptop or PC
To be able to wirelessly connect devices via Bluetooth, including headphones, the corresponding adapter must be enabled on the laptop: if there is no Bluetooth icon in the notification area, there is a red cross on it, it is possible that it is disabled: for example, using the function keys in the top row of the keyboard, in the Windows 10 notification area or under Settings: Devices. Bluetooth & other devices. If Bluetooth does not turn on, the following material may help solve the problem: What to do if Bluetooth does not work on a laptop.
To connect Bluetooth headphones to a laptop with Windows 10 or a previous version of the system, three basic steps are enough: put the headphones in pairing mode, connect them as a device in Windows, configure the sound output and, if necessary, input from the microphone. And now in detail about each stage of the connection:
- Put your headphones into pairing mode. On different headphones, this is done differently: usually you need to either press and hold the button with the Bluetooth logo until the indicator flashes in a “non-standard” way (for example, change the frequency, color), or, in the absence of such a button, press and hold the power button / off.
- After putting the headphones into pairing mode in Windows 10, go to Settings. Devices and click “Add Bluetooth or other device”.
- In earlier versions of Windows, you can right-click the Bluetooth icon in the notification area and select Add Bluetooth Device (if the icon is not displayed, you can use Control Panel. Devices and Printers. Add Device).
- Further, in Windows 10 and in earlier versions of the system (albeit in a different interface), a search for available Bluetooth devices will be performed. Click on the found headphones.
- The headphones are automatically connected and paired with the laptop. If you are prompted for a code / password when connecting, it is usually sufficient to enter 0000 (four zeros).
- Keep in mind that sometimes the connection is not successful the first time, it also happens that modern headphones cannot be connected to very old laptops (or when using cheap, separately purchased Bluetooth adapters).
- Usually, after connecting, the sound immediately begins to be output through the Bluetooth headphones, and if there is a built-in microphone, it becomes the “Default communication device”. If it doesn’t, in Windows 10 go to sound options and select the appropriate playback and recording devices, as in the image below. Please note: do not select Headset as the output device (in this case, a profile with low sound quality will be used), select “Headphones“.
- In Windows 7 and 8.1, open Playback and Recording Devices (the Playback and Recorder panel can also be opened in Windows 10) and configure the default playback device (and recording, if you want to use the headphone microphone) by right-clicking on the desired device and by selecting the appropriate menu item. To output audio (music, sound from games), set the item “Headphones” as “Default device”, for communication using a microphone, select “Headphone” and select “Use default communication device” for it.
This completes the connection process. Please note that if the same headphones are used with a phone or other device, it is possible that you will have to reconnect to it.
How to connect Bluetooth headphones to a laptop or computer
Bluetooth headphones are more and more common due to their ease of use: most often they are connected to a smartphone, but you can also connect to a laptop, PC or all-in-one, provided they have a Bluetooth adapter for wireless connection.
This manual describes in detail how to connect Bluetooth headphones to a laptop or PC with Windows 10, 8.1 or Windows 7, what problems may arise in this case, how to solve and additional nuances that may be important. A separate instruction about Apple headphones: How to connect Airpods to a laptop.
It should be borne in mind that the quality of operation of a Bluetooth headset or headset in Windows depends on a variety of conditions, ranging from the characteristics of the Bluetooth adapter, the technical characteristics of the headphones themselves and the audio codecs they support, to less obvious factors. For example, when the laptop is connected to Wi-Fi in the 2.4 GHz band and other Bluetooth devices such as a mouse are used at the same time, the connection quality may deteriorate.
- Sound delay. It may depend on various factors: the Bluetooth adapter and its drivers, the audio codecs used, the technical capabilities of the headphones themselves. For details on possible solutions to this problem, see the instructions What to do if the sound in Bluetooth headphones lags behind.
- Poor quality mono sound. Solution: Make sure Headphone is selected in Output Device Settings in Windows 10 or Default Device in the Audio Control Panel of previous systems is set to Headphone instead of Headphone.
- Sound degrades or cuts out when using the headphone microphone. The reason for this is that when using the communication functions (“Headset”), Windows switches the headset profile to HSP or HFP (Headset Profile / Hands-Free Profile), which is intended for communication and does not provide high sound quality unlike the A2DP profile. which is used in the “Headphone” mode. There is no good solution, but you can use a different microphone for communication by setting it up as an input device in Windows, and also disable headphone communication profiles by going to Control Panel. Devices and Printers and opening the Services tab of your headphone. Simultaneous use of a microphone and high-quality sound transmission is obtained on rare devices: it depends on the adapter, its drivers and the headphones themselves.
- Bluetooth headphones have to be reconnected every time. The reason for this, as a rule, is that the same headphones are used with another device: for example, after connecting to a phone, pairing with a laptop may be lost and you need to remove the device in Windows and reconnect. Feature of most bluetooth devices.
- The headphones turn off by themselves. It can occur as a result of poor communication between them and the Bluetooth adapter due to distance or obstacles, power saving settings on your laptop: try turning on the “Maximum performance” power profile, go to the properties of the Bluetooth adapter in the device manager and if there is a “Control uncheck “Allow this device to be turned off to save energy”, check for the presence of the same tab for the headphones themselves in Windows Device Manager.
In all cases, for any strange behavior of the connected headphones, I recommend installing the original Bluetooth adapter driver without relying on the one that was installed automatically: sometimes, even the old driver for the previous version of Windows for your laptop model from the official website of its manufacturer shows the best work than any others, including the latest compatible ones. All the above points are also relevant for the scenario of connecting a Bluetooth speaker to a laptop.
Distribution of new, sometimes interesting and useful materials from the remontka.pro website. No ads and free computer help for subscribers from the author. Other subscription methods (VK, Odnoklassniki, Telegram., YouTube, Yandex.Dzen)
I constantly suffer with tws-i7 headphones. if I manage to set them up on the phone, but they only connect to the phone, then no other device sees them. If I set up on a TV-box, then they only connect to the TV-box, other devices do not see them. To connect them to the laptop, you need to turn off the bluetooth on the phone, on the TV-box, and then somehow it is possible to connect either left or right one to the laptop. The IVT_BlueSoleil program helps, but it is paid and the tablet is constantly reset, so I decided that it was easier to use ordinary headphones on a laptop, and I bought two wireless pairs: one for the phone, the second for the TV-box
I bought two USB audio adapter bluetooth 5.0 on AliExpress for a little over 200 rubles and no problem. Driver CD included.
Good day! The problem arose with the JBL TUNE700BT headphones: the headphones are connected to the laptop, but the sounds only sound mono (disgusting, and sometimes even unbearable). I reinstalled drivers for Bluetooth, sound card, removed and reconnected headphones which I just didn’t do. In the sound properties there is (playback) there are gray headphones with a red down arrow “JBL TUNE700BT STEREO connection interrupted” and it is impossible to connect them, they remain disconnected. Windows 10 x64 Help how this can be fixed?
Hello. Judging by the description, for some reason your headphones are connected as a headset, and not as headphones (i.e. as a communication device only). I won’t give a clear recipe, but in general I would try to turn off that version of the headphones in playback (through the right click), which are now active and turn on those that do not turn on.
An acquaintance called, could not connect the headphones to the laptop. The laptop did not see the headphones. It was just that after buying them you had to charge them.
How to connect headphones to a laptop
It’s pretty simple. As a rule, modern laptops already have a wireless module. It remains to be sure that it is enabled. This can be done in several ways.
A universal way. Find the key in the top row that is responsible for the wireless modules. Usually it depicts a semblance of an antenna. Combined with the Fn key, it should enable and disable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
Method for Windows 10. Go to the “Start” menu, click on the gear icon in the left column. Then follow the path “Devices”. “Bluetooth and other devices”. You will see a slider responsible for enabling the “blue-tooth” connection. move it to the right.
How to connect Bluetooth headphones to a computer or laptop
Your favorite smartphone headset can also be connected to a laptop or desktop computer. Relevant for conferences and just work from home.
Today, Bluetooth headsets and wireless speakers have largely supplanted wired models. But in their wireless headphones, you can not only listen to music on the way to work and back, but also communicate in Skype, Zoom and other similar services from a laptop or PC.
To connect the headphones to your computer via Bluetooth, put them in pairing mode. It is not difficult to do this: usually it is enough to press and hold one of the buttons. For more detailed instructions, see the documentation for the device.
Older headsets may have earlier versions of Bluetooth, while more recent ones may have version 5.0. It doesn’t matter much if you are sitting next to a computer. Unless in the next room, early versions do not always provide a reliable connection.
How to connect a headset to a computer
Please note that this is an external adapter that plugs into a USB port. There are also internal modules that plug directly into the motherboard in the PCI slot. Such devices, as a rule, have great functionality, but they have a significant disadvantage. the inconvenience of use. The USB module can be inserted into a USB extension cable, which can be carried out even in the middle of the room. Thus, the signal will reach even the farthest room. Doing the same thing with a PCI slot is much more difficult and costly.
Regardless of whether you have a built-in module or a discrete one, ideally you need to install drivers from the headset manufacturer. This is a guarantee that the device will work correctly. But you can also rely on the generic driver library, which is in Windows.
Can I connect Bluetooth headphones to my computer
In the case of a computer, you must have a USB Bluetooth module connected. Rarely on any motherboard you can find built-in Bluetooth.
So just get one and plug it into your PC’s USB port. The drivers will have to be installed automatically. If this does not happen, then install them from the disk or from the manufacturer’s website.
How to connect wireless headphones to your computer
Connection process in Windows 7
Turn on Bluetooth on the headphones by pressing the dedicated button, if there is one.
Click on the Bluetooth icon in the system tray of the taskbar and select the item to add a new device. Automatic search starts.
Select headphones in the list, click on the “Next” button to connect.
Sound should immediately start playing through them. If you want to switch the default audio playback to speakers, then right-click on the sound icon in the taskbar and open “Playback Devices”.
In the new window, select the columns, right-click on them and assign them to use as default.
Connection process in Windows 10
First, let’s check if Bluetooth is turned on at all. Click on the notification icon and taskbar tray and see if it is activated. The tiles should be blue like the picture. If it is not active, click on it.
Interesting! For more detailed instructions on how to do this, see the material. How to enable Bluetooth on a Windows 10 computer.
In the same tray, click on the Bluetooth connection icon and select the item to add a new device.
Turn on the Bluetooth connection module on the headphones, usually a button with the corresponding logo. The device will appear in the list. connect to it. If it does not appear in the list, click on the add new button.
Next, select “Bluetooth” and already here click on your headset. Once connected, sound will be transmitted through them.
To switch sound between playback devices, click on the volume / sound icon in the tray and select the desired one, for example, speakers.
How to connect Bluetooth headphones to a computer: in detail
Connecting wireless Bluetooth headphones to your computer is quite simple. The process of pairing two devices will not take you long.
Having configured everything once, the connection will be established automatically in the future. And in the future, no additional action is required.
Previous material was devoted to how to zoom out on a computer screen. Now we will consider in detail and with pictures how to connect Bluetooth headphones to a Windows 10, 7 and 8 computer.
This is how everything is done, you do not need to install any additional programs or drivers. All functions are already by default in the Windows operating system.
How to connect Bluetooth headphones to your computer
Almost all desktop computers ship out of the box without Bluetooth capability. But this problem can be easily solved. To do this, you need to purchase and connect a Bluetooth adapter to your device. Their Such adapters are sold in two flavors:
1) External, which is connected via USB. interface;
2) Internal. connects via PCI interface.
Take your pick, but it’s worth mentioning that USB adapters are easier to connect and configure. So if you are not a very experienced PC user, you should opt for it.
After purchasing and inserting into the USB connector, you should make sure that all drivers have been installed on the computer. First, connect the purchased adapter to your computer. A driver is software that enables and controls the adapter to work properly with your computer. If you are using one of the latest versions of Windows 10, it has been greatly simplified to work with Bluetooth devices. Drivers are searched for by the adapter model and downloaded from the Internet, then installed automatically, the system recognizes the model of your device, and configures it itself. However, if you continue to use Windows 7, you will have to check and install the drivers yourself. To check if your drivers are installed, you should do the following:
- Press two keys on the keyboard at the same time: Win R. A window will open in which you need to enter the following command: devmgmt.msc. Click on the OK button or press Enter.
- In a new window, this is the device manager, click the line “Network adapters” or “Bluetooth radio modules”.
If you see a yellow exclamation mark in this window, it means that you do not have the drivers installed.
And if you cannot find anything at all, make sure that the Bluetooth module is connected correctly or that it is working properly. If there are no drivers, then you will need to download the installation file for your adapter model and install it. After that, the adapter should start showing up in Device Manager without a yellow exclamation mark.
After installing the drivers to connect your computer and headphones, follow these steps:
- Turn on the headphones by holding down the button until the space around it glows red or green. This usually takes about 10-15 seconds. After that, the mode of detecting new devices and connecting to them will turn on. Then, using the right mouse button, click on the up arrow, which is located at the bottom, on the right, and find the Bluetooth icon:
- After opening a new window, click “Add device”.
- A search will start around you and a list of found devices will appear. Choose your headphones. Usually the name you will need to click on is the model name of your headphones. After that click on the “Next” button.
- You will need to enter a PIN code to connect. Enter “0000” and press the Enter key. After that, the connection process will be completed.
If you have problems finding a connected adapter, try in the settings to check the box next to allowing devices to detect this computer.
How to connect Airpods to Windows 10
If you are using the Windows 10 operating system, the connection process in it is arranged a little differently.
- Turn on Bluetooth if off. Open the notification center and activate it by clicking on the Bluetooth icon.
- Click on “Start”, then on “Settings”. Find the section called “Devices” and click on it.
- In the “Bluetooth and other devices” section of the menu, select “Add Bluetooth or other device”.
- Turn on the headset.
- On your computer, select “Bluetooth” and find your model code or name in the list of found devices. Click on it.
- When prompted for a password, enter “0000”.
- This completes the connection process.
How to connect Bluetooth headphones to a laptop or computer without an adapter
Today, many computer users have a variety of accessories. These include Bluetooth headphones. And if it is quite simple to connect them to a phone or tablet, then problems may arise when connected to a computer or laptop. In this article, we’ll talk about how this can be done and analyze the main difficulties.
The high popularity of Bluetooth headsets is explained by the convenience and comfort of their use. Since they work wirelessly, when listening to music or talking on Skype, you will not be disturbed by the wires, which are usually constantly tangled on the table or on the floor.
Usually, detailed instructions for connecting them are supplied with the headphones. However, it may be incomprehensible to you, written in a foreign language, or you have already lost it. In this case, our instructions for connecting and configuring will come in handy.
You can watch the video, which explains in detail the whole essence of the connection.
How to connect wireless headphones to a laptop
Connecting a Bluetooth headset to a laptop is a little easier than connecting to a computer. This is due to the fact that most modern laptops have a built-in Bluetooth module. So you don’t have to buy it additionally and install drivers for it.
Therefore, all you need to do to connect is to follow the instructions above without searching and installing drivers.
How to set up wireless headphones
After you connect the headset, you need to select them as the main one for playing sounds. This can be done as follows:
- In the tray, click on the speaker icon, right-click on it and select “Sound”.
- In the window that opens, find the “Select an output device” section and select your headphones there.
- If you have a microphone in your headphones, and you also want to use it on a computer or laptop, in the same window select them as an input device.
- In the tray, click on the speaker sign, right-click on it and click on the item “playback devices”.
- This is where Bluetooth Audio should be turned on. This usually happens automatically, but in some cases you will need to do it manually.
Wireless headphones are a handy device. When connecting it, you may encounter some problems and difficulties, but this is only at first. By connecting them once, you can then enjoy high-quality sound without wires or other inconveniences. We wish you success in this matter.!
How to connect headphones with a microphone?
Connecting the headset to a personal computer takes a few seconds and does not require any special skills. The switching procedure consists of the following steps:
How To Use Your Apple Earbuds/Headphones As A Microphone For Windows Computer/Pc
- We find the line outputs from the sound card of the device. The card can be built into the motherboard or discrete. In any of these cases, the headset can be connected to the front or rear panel of the system unit, so we look for the jacks and determine which of them we will connect to.
- The headphone output is indicated in green, as well as a sound wave icon or Phones. We insert a green plug into it. In some headsets, the plugs are made to match the color of the connectors, so it’s hard to make a mistake.
- The microphone jack for the PC is pink, next to it there is an icon representing a microphone, or the inscription Mic. Insert the pink headphone plug into the output. We can also connect a third-party microphone to this jack.
- We configure the equipment. In computers operating on the Windows 7, 8 or 10 platform, it happens automatically.
|Sound card connectors|
But sometimes it happens that the automatic setting did not work for some reason. Do not rush to look for the reason why the headphones do not work, follow the simple steps:
- Click on the “Computer” icon and select Manage “-” Device Manager “.
- Alternatively, you can go through the “Start” button, on the right select “Control Panel”. “System”. “Device Manager”.
- In the expanded Device Manager window, find the Sound Devices section. Sound card drivers must be registered in it.
- If the indicated devices do not correspond to reality, then search the Internet for the drivers for your motherboard.
|Setting up the headset|
Update the drivers even if there is an exclamation mark next to the line “Sound devices”. This can be done by having a disk with the necessary files or via the Internet.
You should not look for instructions on how to connect headphones with a microphone to a laptop. the procedure is similar to the one described above. The exception is the new generation of portable computers, which have a specially labeled combo output for single-plug equipment with a microphone. If there is no such socket, and there is only one plug, an adapter is used.
The functional capabilities of computers are wide, therefore, in addition to connecting ordinary headphones to a PC, there are also options for using a headset. For example, you can connect two pairs to a computer device and listen to music, watch movies, communicate in voice chats together. Use a splitter to connect. It must be inserted into the audio output of a laptop or PC system unit, and then connect both pairs of headsets.
You can use the headphones that come with your phone with your computer. Connection rules are the same as for conventional overhead models.
A desktop or laptop computer can be connected to the TV and, using conventional or wireless headphones, play games, watch movies, etc. How do I connect wireless headphones to my TV? Fast and easy. Some modern TV models already have a built-in Bluetooth transmitter, but where there is none, you will need a separate transmitter.
- We connect it to a USB or 3.5 mm jack (if necessary, use an adapter).
- We turn on the TV, activate the Bluetooth transmitter and pair it with the audio system.
- The headphone battery must be fully charged before connecting.
- If the device does not work, check the settings of the TV and the audio system itself.
How to connect wireless headphones?
A wireless headset has a number of undeniable advantages, which is why its popularity is growing rapidly. There are no problems with how to connect USB wireless headphones to a computer, everything is simple:
- Find USB ports on the front panel of the system unit.
- Insert the adapter into the USB port.
- The operating system will detect the device and provide information about the readiness to work.
- If automatic connection fails, install the driver. The driver disc is usually supplied with the headset or can be downloaded from the Internet.
- Remember to insert the batteries and turn on the power.
There are no difficulties in deciding how to connect Bluetooth headphones to a laptop, PC. This requires:
- Activate Bluetooth on the device.
- Wait for the headphones to be recognized by the computer.
- Select the appropriate network, in most cases it is named according to the brand of the product.
- Click the “Connect” button.
- Enter the password in the window that appears, it must be specified in the documentation.
- Wait a few seconds while auto tuning is in progress.
|Turn on Bluetooth|
How to connect headphones to a computer
This article will analyze how to set up headphones with and without a microphone when connected to a computer in order to speak via IP telephony (Skype, Viber, etc.), record voice messages and just enjoy the sounds of your favorite music or movie.
Types of headphones and connectors
In order to choose how to connect your headphones to your computer, it is important to know the type of headset. The process of connecting and setting up the equipment depends on this. Headphones are:
Wired are connected via a standard 6.3 mm or 3.5 mm speaker jack. There are also models available that connect to computer devices via a USB port.
There are three types of wireless headsets:
- radio wave (used in radio systems);
Wireless models speak for themselves and require a similar communication device on a PC or gadget for pairing, while wired designs are equipped with a plug and connect to a computer depending on the type of connector.
It is not difficult to understand how to connect headphones if you have an idea of what RCA, line-out is.
Line-out is a 3.5 mm jack, also called mini-jack, located on the sound card. It is present in iPods, TVs and all computer devices. Connectors are always marked. color or icon.
There are situations when all the switching steps are performed correctly, but the headphones or speakers are still not connected, that is, there is no sound. Then you need to do the following:
- Connect the headset to other equipment: a player, TV, etc. to make sure it works.
- Check if the drivers for your computer sound card are installed and need updating.
- If everything is ok with the drivers, try adjusting the sound on the system. It can be set to a minimum. The answer to the question: how to increase the volume in the headphones is as simple as possible. Click on the icon in the right corner of the work panel and drag the slider up.
- Check the settings in the Sound section. To do this, click on the “Start” button, go to the “Manage Settings” section. “Equipment and Sound”. “Sound”.
- In the section “Adjusting the volume”, solve the question of how to increase the sound in the headphones by changing the indicators using the sliders, as shown in the figure below. Here you can also check the operation of the microphone.
We’ve covered the issue of connecting different types of headphones to desktops and laptops, and we hope we’ve allowed you to make sure it’s quick and easy to do. Even if there are connection problems, you can fix them yourself without the help of specialists.
Connecting wireless headphones with a microphone to your computer
By design, wireless headphones can be divided into two conditional groups. either they are for the phone or for the computer. In the first case, we are dealing with a wireless headset for a smartphone, in the second case, with a computer headset. Not all devices from a smartphone can be connected to a computer, especially if they are created exclusively for a particular phone model, therefore we will not consider them.
About a computer headset. It usually consists of two components:
- Themselves headphone with microphone.
- And a wireless USB adapter that transfers sound from the computer to the headphones and vice versa.
Ideally, you just plug the USB adapter into any USB port on your computer, turn on the headphones (they usually have a switch), and that’s it. This usually happens in the latest version of Windows (10). The driver is installed automatically, the system itself finds the wireless device and starts working with it (you may just have to click on one or two buttons in the Windows notification area in the lower left corner).
Laptops are even easier. Since they have a built-in Bluetooth adapter, you don’t have to connect anything to the USB port at all. The only thing that may need to be done is to turn on Bluetooth itself on the laptop, for which you need to either press a special button on the case, or use a certain key combination, or click on the “Bluetooth” icon in the tray near the clock. It all depends on the laptop model.
Turn iPhone Earphones as Mic on Desktop Computer (save on a mic)
But often all or part of the operations for connecting and configuring a wireless computer headset have to be performed manually. This is how it looks on the example of Windows 10:
- When a wireless adapter is connected to the USB port of a computer, a notification about a new device may appear (or not appear) on the screen. For everything to go well, it is better to install the driver right away. it doesn’t matter if the system did it automatically (especially since the driver usually comes with a special program for controlling the headset).
- If the driver is not available, you can always download it from the website of the wireless headphone manufacturer. If this is not possible for some reason, use any program for automatic driver installation (for example, DriverHub).
- After installing the driver, turn on the headphones and / or use the Bluetooth pairing function on them (either you need to press and hold a certain button, or move the switch to the required position, or in some other way). Also, do not forget to turn on the “Bluetooth” function on your laptop.
- Now open the Start Menu and from there go to Windows Settings.
- In the new window go to the “Devices” section.
- Next, on the left side of the window, select “Bluetooth and other devices”, then click the button “Add Bluetooth or other device”.
- Another window will open, click on the element “Bluetooth mouse, keyboard, pens or audio”.
- In the displayed list of Bluetooth devices, double-click on the name of the headphones.
How to connect headphones with a microphone to a computer?
Any stationary or mobile (laptop, netbook, etc.) computer supports the connection of headphones, incl. and those equipped with microphones. But some users may have difficulty connecting some types of modern headphones due to their specific design. In addition, there are a number of computer-related malfunctions that can result in either no sound, microphone inoperability, or both.
You can read more about the lack of sound on a PC in the article on the website SoftSalad.ru.
Here are instructions for connecting different types of headphones to your computer, as well as instructions for troubleshooting common driver problems that lead to no sound or microphone inoperability.
Connecting headphones with a microphone from the phone (headset) to the computer
It’s easy to tell the difference between an audio headset from smartphones and headphones for computers. the headset has only one single plug at the end. And if you look closely at it, then instead of 3 contacts you can count 4 (two for the speakers, one for the microphone and one more. common).
As in the previous case, you need an adapter to connect a headset from your phone to a computer. It is usually referred to as a splitter. It looks like this:
Those. we connect the headset to the adapter / splitter, and the plugs of the latter to the computer.
Separately, we note the laptops that have a headset jack. Typically, such a connector is indicated by the headphone and microphone icon. It can be located either next to or separately from the standard audio connectors of the mobile computer.
Examine your laptop. it might have a headset jack. In this case, an adapter (splitter) is not required.
Connecting headphones with a microphone via USB to a computer
USB adapter for connecting headphones of “classic” design with standard Jack 3.5 connectors.
USB adapter for connecting a headset to a computer from a phone (i.e. for a 4-pin plug).
As in the previous case, for this scheme to function, you will first need to install a driver. With the further connection of headphones via USB, everything is already clear: we insert the adapter into any USB port and connect the plugs to it in accordance with the color and / or the images printed on the case (if the adapter is for ordinary headphones with two plugs).
Connecting headphones with a jack for “Jack 6.3” to a computer
There is no fundamental difference between connecting headphones with jack 3.5 and Jack 6.3 to a computer. But you won’t be able to do this without a special adapter. Because the plug for “Jack 6.3” has a larger size in diameter and height. 6.35mm versus 3.5mm for the plug for “Jack 3.5”:
There are two types of adapters from “Jack 3.5” to “Jack 6.3”:
- Stereo (two-channel), which carries sound from the computer to the speakers.
- And mono (single channel), which can be used to connect the microphone plug to the computer.
Headphones with such plugs are connected in the same way as described above. The only difference is that you first need to connect an adapter to the audio jacks of the computer.
Connecting simple (classic) headphones to a computer
The conventional category of “classic” headphones with a microphone includes devices with two plugs (sockets) for a Jack 3.5 jack (this can also include another version of the jack. “Jack 6.3”, but more on that later). Usually one of the plugs is colored red (this is the microphone jack) and the other is colored green (the speaker jack). But there are headphones in which both connectors are black or a different color.
It is very easy to connect headphones of the “classic” design to a computer:
- If this is a stationary computer, we find the red and green connectors (always located together) in the front or in the back of the system unit. these are audio channels for the microphone and headphone speakers, respectively. The audio inputs in the front of the system unit often do not work, due to the fact that the person who assembled this computer forgot / did not want to connect them to the motherboard or for some other reason. They look something like this:
- In the case of laptops, netbooks, etc. it is even simpler. these connectors are usually located on the side or front of the computer case. But sometimes they are not highlighted in green and red. Instead, a speaker or headphones and microphone are depicted next to the connectors. It is possible that image data will also be present on color connectors.
- It remains only to connect the green headphone plug to the green connector on the computer, and the red one to the red one.
If the plugs of the headphones are not painted in standard colors, then nothing terrible will happen if they are connected to the wrong jacks. We connect to any jacks and check the sound. If it is not there, we swap the plugs.
Common computer sound problems
The most common reason for the lack of sound on the computer when headphones or any other playback device are connected to it is incorrect sound settings of the operating system and / or audio card driver. This is especially true for wireless headphones and situations where additional software is required to be installed on the computer (for example, the driver for the Bluetooth module that comes with the wireless headphones).
Make sure that the necessary driver is installed on the computer (from an audio card or a USB device used instead / together with it):
- Run the key combination “Ctrl R” and enter the command “devmgmt.msc” without quotes in the window that appears, then click “OK”.
- The “Device Manager” system application will be launched. It lists and categorizes all connected and built-in devices on your computer. Our goal is to make sure that the audio driver is installed on the computer, as well as that the corresponding device is currently active.
- We check the sections “Audio inputs and outputs” and “Sound, game and video devices”.
- If a USB adapter / adapter is used to output and input sound, then its name can be given in the sections “USB Controllers”, “HID Devices (Human Interface Devices)” or “Bluetooth Radio Modules” (can be called simply “Bluetooth”).
- None of the listed devices should be marked with a yellow question / exclamation mark or down arrow icon. The first means that there are problems with the driver, the second means that the device is inactive (turned off).
- Driver problems are solved by reinstalling them. If the device is turned off, click on it with the left mouse button and select the “Turn on device” item in the menu that appears.
Now check which of the playback devices the system is currently using:
- Execute the “control” command by analogy with the first step of the previous instruction.
- The “Control Panel” will open. Go to the “Hardware and Sound” section, then click on the “Sound” element:
- In the window that appears, open the “Playback” tab. A variety of audio playback devices can be listed here. Among them, the device that is used to work with the connected headphones must be present.
- Find this device, select it with the mouse and click the “Default” button at the bottom of the window.
- Check the sound. If it does not appear, try to select by default another device present in the list.
- Go to the “Recording” tab. Here are audio recording devices, i.e. microphones. Do the same as for the audio playback device.