How to connect a laptop to a TV via HDMI
One instead of ten is the advantage of HDMI for transporting high definition video and audio signals. If some eight years ago, only TVs, players, game consoles with the SOURCE engine, media centers of the latest generation were equipped with such a connector, then today it has become a standard. Any modern multi-content playback device without HDMI looks like a museum exhibit, because since its introduction in 2003, this protocol for high-definition signal transmission, combining quality and space saving, has surpassed other standards.
- Testosterone tablets
- Liver casserole. how to quickly and tasty cook at home according to step-by-step recipes with a photo
How to connect a laptop to a TV
- Make sure you have the correct connectors. To connect a laptop to a TV, each of them must have an appropriate connector, otherwise you will have to look for alternative connection options.
- Connect the HDMI cable to the connectors of the laptop and TV, after disconnecting both devices from the power source. Insert the plug, turn on PC and large screen electronic device for further setting.
- Set the correct signal source on the TV through the menu settings using the remote control and selecting the appropriate item that appears in the drop-down list as HDMI.
- Customize your TV and laptop screens to find the best picture for you.
- The hardware method involves simultaneously pressing the keys on the fn f4 laptop (on Lenovo, in others it is the button with the TV on the quick panel) and then choosing one of four options for connecting to the blue screen. To activate the appropriate mode, you just need to press the Enter key by selecting the desired item.
- The software method of connecting two devices provides for setting through the laptop display and the desktop, where by pressing the right mouse button you need to find the line “Screen resolution”. Go to the “Multiple screens” section, and there select the optimal playback mode in the drop-down menu list.
- Adjust the sound manually if you see an image when you connect, but no sound. On a laptop through the “Start” find the “Sound” tab, and then. “Playback”. In it, using the right mouse button, you need to find two lines: “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disconnected devices” in order to set a check mark next to each. Then turn off the PC speakers in the Speakers tab so that the audio signal travels through the cable to the TV. The sound will be heard there.
Varieties of HDMI cable
To play computer content at the highest quality level, when the connection is due to certain requirements or restrictions, it is possible to use different types of HDMI cable:
- Standard. It is the simplest type, it has a small bandwidth. For home devices, this type of cable is optimal, unless there are high demands on video and sound quality. These properties are significantly affected by the length of the cable, how well the plug is fixed, and which video card is installed on the PC.
- Standard with Ethernet. This is an advanced cable type that provides two-way data transmission, provided both devices support Ethernet HDMI technology.
- High Speed is the type of cable that provides maximum resolution, bandwidth and versatility. With its help, it will be possible to connect absolutely any home devices.
- High Speed with Ethernet. high quality high speed cable with additional data transfer function using Ethernet HDMI technology.
- Standard Automotive is a cord designed for use in vehicles. A significant difference between this type of cable from the previous ones is its resistance to vibration, since special connectors rigidly fix the connection. Even the latest type of HDMI cable is protected from sudden changes in temperature and exposure to high humidity.
Advantage of connecting laptop to TV via HDMI cable
The indisputable advantage of this cable when connecting two devices is the high quality of the simultaneous transmission of video signal and sound, while other types of connection are inferior in characteristics. It is possible to connect a PC (Lenovo, ASUS) with any of the popular home devices. Philips, Sony Bravia, Toshiba. in two main ways: using a cable and wirelessly.
Watching any content on a large screen in comfort. simply by connecting a large plasma screen with a cord. You can make the signal clear without watching a video from YouTube. Attach the plug securely, provided the two devices to be connected have an HDMI jack. If at least one of them does not have such a port, you will have to use other connection standards:
- Via a beveled rectangular VGA connector (found on the back of every device). With its help, it is easy to transfer the image, but not the sound to a regular (analog) TV, so you need an additional cable for the audio signal.
- RCA input is available on all new TVs, but you will not be able to connect a laptop “through the tulip”, since this connector is a rare occurrence in them. But even if the PC has room for a yellow plug (composite video), then you will have to connect headphones to transmit the audio signal.
- You can do without HDMI if you use a USB port and cable. The TV must be equipped with such a connector, and the laptop must be able to connect new equipment, otherwise video viewing will not be available. There is another option. connecting via a USB adapter, but for this you need to purchase the Q-Waves Wireless USB AV kit. It is connected to an electronic device with a large screen through the VGA or HDMI port, and the adapter itself is inserted into the PC. This device works with a limited range, so the TV and laptop should be near.
- Without a cable, you can connect a laptop to a TV via WI-FI, if the latter supports this connection and is equipped with an adapter for wireless connection.
- Top 10 foods to help protect your lungs from coronavirus
- Maternity capital for the formation of the mother’s funded pension
- How to find out if a mobile phone is tapped
How to connect a laptop to a TV via HDMI
The HDMI interface is one of the most common means of communication for digital devices today. With the help of it, sound and video can be transmitted in high quality and with minimal loss. Almost all modern laptop and TV models are equipped with HDMI connectors. Other interfaces. VGA, DVI, Scart. are also widely used, but inputs / outputs of such formats are not available on all devices. For example, you are almost guaranteed to find the same DVI on any video card or monitor, but it is often absent on laptops and TVs. Also, some TVs may not have a VGA connector, although it is mandatory on laptops.
Let’s say right away that there is not much difference with which wire to connect the laptop to the TV. Whether it’s HDMI, VGA or DVI, the sequence of steps and the final result don’t differ much. The only thing that Honor needs is that the DVI and VGA interfaces are only capable of transmitting video signal, so the sound will have to be connected using a separate audio cable.
Connecting wires and setting up the TV
So, let’s begin. We will connect an HP laptop with Windows 10 preinstalled to an LG TV running webOS. This is what the HDMI connectors look like:
We connect with the equipment turned off. We plug one end of the cable into the laptop connector, the other into the HDMI 2 connector of the TV.
We turn on both devices and wait for Windows to load on the laptop. As for the TV, while it is broadcasting the TV program (the antenna cable has not been disconnected). We take in hand the television remote control and find the control button for signal sources. It is usually called Source or Input.
We press it and in the menu that appears on the TV screen, select HDMI-2.
After some thought, the TV should display the laptop desktop.
In our case, it slightly went beyond the boundaries of the TV screen. To fix the problem, it was necessary to go to the Settings on the TV (Settings button), then select the “Screen” item and set the “Screen Format” as “Initial”.
The image now fits perfectly within the boundaries of the TV screen.
Setting up displays in Windows 10
We click on the desktop with the right mouse button and in the context menu select the item “Display settings”. The displays can be configured directly on the page that opens, or by going to the advanced settings using the link “Additional display settings”.
In the drop-down menu, there are several options for how the displays work: “Duplicate these screens”, “Extend these screens”, “Show only by 1”, “Show only by 2”.
By default, duplicate mode is active. This means that the same is displayed on both laptop and TV screens. The second option provides for the ability to transfer working windows of programs between displays and broadcast on each of them your information. The purpose of the last two modes is clear. the picture will be displayed only on one of the two screens, the second will turn off.
Here, in the Parameters, it is possible to set the screen resolution and make some other settings.
We will not focus on them, everyone will be able to experiment on their own and adjust everything for themselves. We completed the main task. connected the laptop to the TV via an HDMI cable.
Setting up displays in Windows 7
The above information on configuring displays is relevant for Windows 10, where display settings are made through the Settings utility. In Windows 7, all actions are performed in the Control Panel, although the essence remains the same. Let’s go to the desired configuration page by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting “Screen Resolution”.
The interface of the settings page will be slightly different than in Windows 10, but the meaning remains the same, so it’s easy to figure it out.
The HDMI interface allows you to transfer not only video, but also sound. However, it may happen that you have connected and configured everything seems to be correct, but the sound on the speakers built into the TV is not reproduced. To eliminate this problem, go to the Control Panel. Sound. On the “Playback” tab, the TV should be selected as the default device, in our case LG TV.
If the device is turned off, then you need to turn it on. If it is not displayed at all, then right-click on the window and check the “Show disconnected device” checkbox. Next, turn it on and everything should work fine.
We connect the laptop to the TV via HDMI and Wi-Fi
Probably, many laptop owners have a desire to display the image from their laptop on a display with a large size and resolution. Such a screen is better suited for viewing high quality photos and videos, and the graphics of modern games will look more beautiful and realistic on it. The most obvious and simple solution to the issue is to connect a monitor from a stationary computer to a laptop. However, all the latest TV models that run their own operating systems also provide the ability to interface with a PC. In this article, we will just tell you how you can connect a laptop to a TV wired and without using wires (via Wi-Fi). Note that we are not talking about a simple broadcast of video and photos from a laptop on the TV, but about a full duplication of the desktop and all Windows functionality, i.e. using the TV as another monitor.
Let’s consider another way to connect a laptop to a TV, this time wirelessly using WiDi technology and a Wi-Fi network. Let’s make a reservation right away that this method is only suitable for laptop computers assembled on the basis of Intel components. Plus, WiDi technology must be supported by your TV. Be sure to install the latest firmware on your TV, as older software versions may not provide WiDi connectivity.
Before proceeding directly to configuring the wireless connection between the laptop and the TV, you need to make sure that both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network (one router). For LG, to check the connection, go through the settings menu to the “Network” section.
If the TV has not previously been connected to Wi-Fi, you need to set up the connection. There should be no problems with a laptop.
Each TV model will have a different location for the WiDi toolkit. LG has the following steps to access it:
Now the TV is ready to connect the laptop, all that remains is to perform the necessary actions in the Windows 10 interface.
We go through the Parameters utility to the “Screen” section and click on the link “Connect to a wireless display”.
A panel will appear on the right, on which, after a few seconds of searching, the TV should be displayed, in our case LG webOS TV.
Click on it to start the connection and wait for the procedure to end. If everything goes well, the message “Connected” will appear on the panel under the name of the wireless display.
The TV will display the Windows desktop of the laptop.
By the way, the projection mode can also be changed, as we did when connecting devices with an HDMI cable.
In principle, the goal is achieved, it remains only to check if the sound works.
Finally, we note that if you want to connect your laptop to the TV in the most reliable and stable way, then, of course, it is better to use an HDMI cable. Wireless connections are prone to interruptions, and image transmission may experience delays, especially in games.
If you have something to tell about the topic covered in the article, write below in the comments.
Image output settings in Windows
If the connection cord and interfaces work, but the system unit still does not display the picture on the TV screen, then the problem lies in the operating system settings. How to properly configure the system unit for different OS versions is described below.
- On the desktop you need to open the task menu and find the item “screen resolution”.
- We select the item “connect to the projector” and click duplicate so that the image remains on each monitor. If you need to completely transfer the picture to TV, then click on “projector only”.
- After entering the control panel, you should select the submenu “design and personalization”.
- In the “screen” section, we find “multiple displays” and select “duplicate” or “extend the table only to the second display”.
- In the screen parameters, select “display” and scroll to “multiple displays”.
- If all the connections are correct, then the second screen will be immediately displayed, it remains only to indicate how exactly to use it. duplicating or as the main one.
Connection port malfunction
Any connector can have mechanical damage or burn out during a power surge, which are not uncommon in our electrical networks. Experienced masters advise to connect the HDMI cable with devices disconnected from the network, even the antenna cable is recommended to be disconnected for this time.
There is also such a very rare reason why the TV does not see HDMI: it simply does not have additional power on the video card, and without this the connection will not work.
Setting the resolution and frequency
Sometimes, after following the above recommendations, the picture is still not broadcast. In this case, the reason may be that the TV and the system unit are not compatible in their parameters. For example, for an old SD or HD TV, the FHD resolution on the PC video card is too high. In this case, it is worth entering the screen settings according to the above algorithms and, having selected the second display (TV), lower the resolution for it.
The second reason that can affect the image is frequency. By default, the PC graphics card is set to 60 Hz. For TV it is worth trying to gradually decrease the value.
Important to remember! Some TV manufacturers have a connection to a PC, and there is a special mode for this. It can be combined with the image adjustment or selected separately. Through it you can select the appropriate resolution for the PC.
Some Samsung TVs had an issue where a window appeared with the text “HDMI mode not supported”. There were many recommendations on the forums to combat this, but it turned out that this is a problem with the factory firmware, and in order to fix the defect, you need to contact the manufacturer’s service center, where the new software is installed. Modern Samsung TVs do not have such nuances.
Not a single product, even the most reliable brand, is immune from factory defects, especially when assembled by hand. When buying, the image quality and sound are checked, but they never check specific connectors and connection jacks on the TV. at best, they make sure that they are available, and even then not all buyers. It often happens that the cable itself does not work, although it has not been used for so long. It is necessary to connect the same cable, but to another device, if it functions normally, then the reason that the computer does not see the TV lies in the latter. It is necessary to diagnose the TV in order to recognize similar signals.
How to update software on a video card
If the difficulties with the connection after the recommendations above have not gone away, then updating the software for the PC associated with the display of the image can help. The driver may be out of date, damaged, or simply missing. In such a situation, you should open Device Manager and look at the “video adapters” tab. To do this, select on the icon “my computer” in the menu “control”, which opens by clicking on the right mouse button.
If a red or yellow icon is lit next to the adapter, then there is a problem with this node. To update, you can immediately open its properties and select automatic driver update, but it is more efficient to download it from the manufacturer’s website.
Advice! The update can be found using the DriverPack Solution utility. Its convenience is that it scans the system itself and looks for all the necessary drivers.
We carry out diagnostics
What should be done if the TV cannot see the laptop via HDMI? Video cards of all modern products support such a connection: HDMI is installed on the TV on almost every model. If the laptop was connected according to all the rules, but still there is no image, then we connect the laptop to the TV, while sequentially checking all possible problems.