How to connect a computer to a router via a network cable (LAN)?
As a rule, most of the problems arise when connecting to a router over a wireless network. And connecting via a network cable should not cause any difficulties. But, I have already met similar questions several times, and decided to write a small instruction with a photo in which I will tell you how to connect a computer (or laptop) to the router using a LAN cable.
And what to write about here, they took a cable, connected it to a router, then to a computer, and everything is ready. But still, it may come in handy for someone. As a rule, modern routers have 4 LAN connectors. This means that you can connect 4 devices via a network cable. And they will all receive Internet from a router, or work in a local network. By the way, read this article on setting up a local network.
We will need:
We take our network cable, it looks like this (you may have a slightly different one, I will enter a different length):
Connect one end of the cable to the yellow connector (LAN) of our router.
It doesn’t matter which of the four connectors you connect the cable to.
Now connect the other end of the cable to our computer or laptop.
This is what the network connector looks like on a computer:
After connecting the network cable, one of the four indicators on the router should light up, which indicate the connection to the LAN connector.
Now we look at the computer screen. If on the notification panel (bottom, right) you see this connection status (as in the screenshot below). All is well. Internet is already working.
But, in such a seemingly simple way, problems can also arise. Now some of the most popular, we will consider.
Problems connecting the computer to the router via a network cable
After connecting, the status on the notification panel may NOT change, you will see the computer crossed out with a red cross.
In this case, first of all, you need to check the cable with which you connected the computer to the router. How to do it? For example, you can take another cable, or the cable that runs the Internet directly to the computer. If this connection status changes (even if a yellow triangle appears). That’s the problem with the cable. Perhaps there is something gone. Just change it.
It is possible that the network card is simply disabled. Let’s check. Go to Control Panel \ Network and Internet \ Network Connections and find Local Area Connection there. If the status is Disabled next to it, then right-click on this connection and select Enable.
If there is no such connection as Local Area Connection at all, then most likely the driver is simply not installed on your network card. Download and install the driver. If there was a disk included with the computer (laptop), then most likely it contains this driver.
Plugged in the cable but the connection without internet access
And this can be. This problem looks like this:
First, you need to determine what the problem is. This could be due to a problem on the router side. For more on this, see this article.
But I’ll tell you in a simple way. If other devices work normally from this router, and the Internet is on them, then most likely the problem is on the computer itself. It’s clear :).
And as a rule, this problem is one.
Go to Control Panel \ Network and Internet \ Network Connections again and right-click on Local Area Connection. Select properties. Then select “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP / IPv4)” and click the Properties button again.
Set to get IP and DNS automatically and click OK.
This should help.
But, do not forget that, for example, there may be technical problems with the network card (perhaps it just burned out) and other very different reasons why a variety of problems may arise.
Here is such an instruction, everything seems to be simple, but it turned out not very small. Hope it is useful to someone.
Option number 1: We connect the computer to the router
You have a router in your apartment configured and connected to your provider. And you don’t know how to connect the cable from it to your laptop? Then see below how to do it.
- Take a patch cord (an internet cable with RG 45 connectors on both sides), usually it comes with the router. Insert one end into any LAN socket of the router, the other into the computer’s network card. The twisted pair cable coming from the provider must be inserted into the “Internet” or “WAN” connector, the name of the port depends on the manufacturer. See an example in the photo below.
- After inserting the patch cord into both devices, you will see the LED on the router light up. And on the PC, the red cross in the lower right corner will disappear. Now you can start making settings on your computer.
How to connect a laptop to the Internet via a cable
Not every Internet user knows how to connect a laptop to the Internet via a cable. Many people find it much easier to pay once to set up a router and use wireless Internet. But there are situations when the router is broken or the Wi-Fi module on the laptop is out of order. In such cases, you have to at least temporarily connect a network cable to the laptop and configure the work of the World Wide Web. We will show you how to do this, step by step all the actions that need to be performed.
What to do if the internet doesn’t work
We have already discussed this issue in one of our articles. Therefore, we will NOT re-describe all the options for breakdowns and their elimination. Users in whom, after connecting and configuring, the worldwide network did not work, can see the article: reasons why the Internet does not work on a computer and their elimination.
Configuring static and dynamic connections
There are two options for configuring the network card: dynamic or static.
Static connection. with this connection, your ISP will provide you with fixed settings. That is, your IP address will never change, it is usually specified in the contract. On the world wide web, the IP (external) will also be constantly the same.
A dynamic connection is the opposite of a static connection. With this method, the IP addresses will constantly change after each reconnection to the provider. For example: turn off the router and turn it on, all IP addresses change.
How to connect an internet cable to a laptop or computer
In order to connect a network cable to a computer, you don’t need to know anything special. Anyone can cope with this task.
How to create a dynamic connection
- To create this type of connection, we also need to log in to the network card. To do this, follow the same steps as for Creating a static connection. See above points 1, 2, 3.
- Once in the “IP version 4 (TCP / IPv4) Properties” section, set the period opposite the line “Obtain an IP address automatically”, “Obtain DNS server address automatically”. Click “OK” to complete the installation.
Done, setup done.
All the advantages of wired internet
No matter how anyone says, and without cable Internet anywhere. Any provider, when connecting a new subscriber, first of all puts the cable into the apartment. And then, at the request of the client, it configures the Wi Fi router so that there is wireless access to the worldwide network. Wireless internet is, of course, very practical and undeniably highly demanded. But the wired connection also has its advantages, and now we will tell you about them.
- When connecting to the Internet with a cable, the Internet speed is 2-3 times higher than that of any wireless one. For example: a network cable (twisted pair) with a maximum speed of 100 mb / s, and in an optical cable it is even 1 GB / s.
- For those who like to play online games, the latency from PC to game server (Ping) is very important. The longer the delay, the more the game will slow down. The user connected via Wi-Fi will experience more latency than those connected by cable.
- The cable connection is NOT afraid of any radio interference and does NOT depend on all kinds of obstacles. What can not be said about Wi Fi, it can hardly pass through walls in the house and is very susceptible to radio interference.
How to configure PPPOE connection
PPPOE connection type in CIS countries The most common. A large number of Internet service providers use this type of transfer to provide services. Since it is easy to configure and has a high degree of protection of transmitted information.
- Click on the “Network” icon with the right mouse button. Next, click “Control Center.”.
- In the new window we click the term “Create and configure a new.”.
- Next, you need to select a connection option. Click “Internet Connection”, “High Speed (with PPPOE)”.
- In the window that appears, you need to drive in the data provided by the provider.
If your provider uses VPN, ADSL, L2TP to provide the Internet, then see the detailed setup instructions in our previous article: how to configure wired Internet on a computer.
How to set up a static connection
To create this connection, you need to take certain steps.
- Click on the “Network” RMB icon and select “Control Center.”. Next, in the window that appears, on the left side, click on the line “Change adapter parameters”.
- A window with available adapters for this computer will open. Right-click on the “Ethernet” icon, “Properties”.
- Click once in the “IP version 4.” section, after highlighting this item, click “Properties”.
- In the window that appears, put the points “Use the next IP address”, “Use the next DNS address.”.
- Next, we take these settings from the provider and drive them into the sections. We press
That’s all, you have configured the static connection.
How to set up the Internet on a computer via a cable
Immediately after connecting the cable, you must pay attention to the icon of the network devices. If the icon has any additional indicators, then most likely your computer is already connected to the global network. However, the most common variant is the yellow exclamation mark floor of the network connections sign. This means that the network card has recognized the cable, but there is no internet connection. In this case, additional connection settings will be required, which will be discussed below. And the last option is a red indicator in the form of a cross floor sign of network connections. This indicates that the cable is not plugged into the network card. In this case, make sure that the wire is inserted all the way (usually accompanied by a characteristic click) and if the situation has risen, try replacing the cable. If this does not help, then connect to another device. It is possible that the network adapter itself is not working correctly.
To configure the connection, right-click on the network connections icon and select “Network and Internet Settings”. In the window that appears, click “Configure adapter settings”.
Go to the connection properties of your network card.
In the menu that opens, find the item “IP version 4 (TCP / IPv4)” and select its properties. Then it all depends on the type of network construction used by the provider.
If your ISP provides a dynamic IP, then you must choose to automatically obtain an IP address and DNS server. If the IP is static, then the operator must PROVIDE you with all the necessary data to fill in the fields.
How to connect to the Internet via cable: method
According to the principle described above, the connection is made directly. This does NOT require additional cables. The wire that the provider held out to you just needs to be inserted into the network card. After that, you can proceed to the next step. setting up the connection.
How to connect a laptop to the Internet via a cable
Connect the laptop directly via a cable and set up an Internet connection.
The main advantage of a laptop over a classic desktop computer is its portability. All laptop developers dance around this. The devices are made Not only light and compact, but also energy efficient, so that users are tied to any place as little time as possible. For example, when a gadget needs recharging. The same goes for a wireless Internet connection without it, you can forget about portability. But there are times when you need to connect to the World Wide Web directly using a cable. For example, if the router is out of order. Today we will tell you how to set up the Internet on a laptop via a cable.
PPPOE connection setup
Some providers, instead of IP-addresses, provide the user with data for authorization. login and password. In this case, you will need to create a new connection type. To do this, press the Win R keys and in the window that appears, enter the command: control.Exe / name Microsoft.Networkandsharingcenter
In the window that appears, select the item “Create and configure a new connection or network”.
Then “Connect to the Internet”.
“High Speed (with PPPOE)”.
And at the end, enter the data that the provider told you when connecting. If necessary, upon request to the service center, the data can be re-provided.
After that, click the “connect” button and the Internet should appear. As you can see, all the methods described above are very simple. The setup is always the same regardless of the type of device (PC, laptop, netbook, etc.), so you’ll probably get it right. Now you know how to connect and configure the Internet on a computer via a cable. However, this is not all. It happens that after the above actions, access to the World Wide Web does not appear.
Pros of a wired connection
We agree that Wi-fi is much more convenient than connecting via cable, but the latter has a number of undeniable advantages:
- Internet speed when using a wireless LAN is much slower than when using a cable.
- Router Acts as a kind of intermediary between the source of information on the network (server) and the receiver (your computer), which leads to increased latency. This point can be important for online gamers. When connecting directly, ping (latency) will always be lower than when connecting using wi-fi.
- The wire can be extended to anywhere in the apartment, but the coverage area of routers, especially budget ones, leaves much to be desired. In addition, the wire is much cheaper than any repeater that amplifies the wi-fi signal.
How to connect the Internet via cable: method
The connection itself does not require any special skills, even a beginner can handle it. If you need both Wi-fi and any device connected with a cable, then this method will suit you.
Almost any router comes with an Internet cable with RG 45 connectors at both ends.
One end must be plugged into any available LAN port on the router. Depending on the model, there may be several such connectors, through which one to connect is not so important. The other end must be inserted into the network card of the PC (or laptop). The twisted pair cable, which is pulled by the provider when a new subscriber is connected, is inserted into the WAN connector in the router. On any device with wi-fi on board, there are indicator lights that show which connector is connected. If you did everything correctly, then the lights will be on (usually green).
What to do if the Internet did not appear
There are some of the simplest preventive actions for troubleshooting:
- Diagnosing network problems is often useless, but in some cases it can really help. To launch it, click on the icon of network devices in the lower right corner of the desktop, select the Corresponding item and wait for the search process to end.
- Resetting TCP IP parameters can sometimes be helpful. Run Command Timeline as administrator and enter the following commands one by one without punctuation marks: netsh winsock reset; netsh int IP reset. Then restart your computer and check the connection.
- Another simple but effective method is to uninstall the network adapter drivers. To do this, find your network card in the device manager, right-click on the icon and select “Remove device”. Do not worry, at the next start, the operating system will automatically restore the latest driver from the embedded database. This action avoids software conflicts with your network equipment.
But if a user has a question how to connect the Internet to a laptop, then first you need to decide on the choice of a provider. To do this, it is recommended to analyze the following conditions:
- Possibility of cable connection to the system of the communication service provider;
- The price of the services provided;
- Providing the provider with an acceptable data transfer rate for the subscriber’s requirements at an optimal cost;
- Availability and speed of response of the provider’s technical support service;
- Additional criteria (promotions, special discounts, etc.).
Further, in order to connect to the wired Internet, you need to form an application on the official resource of the selected provider or by phone. Also, if possible, it is recommended to simply personally visit the nearby office of the communication service provider to draw up a contract.
How to properly connect wired internet to a laptop
Nowadays, it is already difficult to find the owner of a laptop that is not connected to the Internet. Despite the increasing development and spread of communication via Wi-Fi connection, access to the Internet via cable attracts with its indisputable advantages, since K. It is more reliable and at the same time the lowest cost. Below are detailed guides on how to properly connect a stable wired internet to your laptop, as well as how to set it up for future work.
- Connection procedure
- Preliminary activities
- Setting procedure
- Windows XP
- Windows 8
You must perform the following sequential steps:
- Through “Start” enter the “Control Panel”;
- Then go to the “Network and Internet” tab;
- Then open the section “Network Control Center and General Access.”;
- They will call it “Setting up a new sub. Or networks “;
- Then click on “Connect to work place”, call “Next”;
- Click “to the Internet (VPN)”;
- In the input field “Internet address” and “name”, print the one specified in the agreement with the service provider and check the box “Do not connect now.”, they will call “Next”;
- Then, in the next window displayed, type your name and access code to connect to the network;
- Name “Close”;
- Re-enter the “Control Center Setiama and General Dost.”;
- Go to the section “Changing adapter parameters”;
- Check the correctness of the display of the Internet address;
- Next, open the “Settings”, where you need to uncheck the box “Include the domain for logging into Windows”;
- Then go to the “Security” tab, where specify L2TP IPSec VPN (may differ depending on the company providing communication services). Check the box “CHAP password verification protocol”;
- Name “Ok”.
- Done! Now the Internet on the laptop with Windows 7 is configured.
There are 2 types of connection in total:
- Through the network wire.
The setup process after connecting via a network cable differs slightly depending on the version of Windows running on the PC. But the procedure itself is very simple, since it is only required to insert the cable from the provider into the socket of the laptop’s network card. All laptops have a connector on the side of the case.
The connector requires the installation of a wire coming from a distribution device installed in the house.
In the case when the user solves the problem of how to connect a laptop to the Internet, on which the good old Windows XP is installed, then only a few steps should be taken:
- Open “Control Panel” through “Start”;
- Then go to the “Network Connections” section;
- Then they will name the PKM on “Local network connection”, click on the “Properties” line;
- Click once on the line “Internet Protocol (TCP / IP)” and then call it “Properties”;
- Next, in the displayed window, mark the item “Use the following IP”, indicate the data specified in the subscriber’s agreement with the provider;
- Done! Internet configured.
You must perform the following sequential steps:
- Enter the “Control Panel”;
- Go to the “Network and Internet” section;
- Then open the “Control Center for Setiama and General Dost.”;
- Place a check mark on the item “Setting up a new connection. Or networks “;
- Specify the section “Internet Connection”, will be called “Next”;
- Then it is recommended to install “High Speed (with PPPoE)”;
- Print the name and access code specified in the agreement with the service provider, check the box “Remember this password”;
- Name “Connect”.
Note: after entering the parameters, sometimes it is necessary to restart the laptop for correct operation.
General rules for connecting high-speed Internet
The data required for connection is specified in a special contract. If you want to turn on the router, you will need to make other settings described in the specification for the device. If the network is not automatically detected, you will have to configure the TCP / IP protocol yourself.
In Windows 7 and 8, the connection is made in the following order:
- From the Control Panel, open the Network Control Center section.
- In the side menu on the right, you need to follow the link that directs the user to the window to change the adapter parameters.
- Here you also need to select the existing adapter and call the context menu by right-clicking. Here select the line “Properties”.
- Next, open the properties of protocol version 4 (TCP / IP) again.
- From the subscription card issued by the provider, enter the address of the DNS servers and IP.
In Windows 10, the connection is made as follows:
- From the Start menu options, go to Network and Internet.
- Next, you will need to open the adapter options settings.
- Next, complete all the points, starting from the 3rd, Described for Windows 7 and 8.
Further, no action is required. the connection should work at full speed automatically. If you connect via a router, the order may differ for different providers, so to set up the Internet, first find out the full information on the corporate website from the provider providing this service.
Preparing to connect the cable internet
To set up an Ethernet connection, first connect a network cable to your laptop. You can also connect a router to it, which, after configuration, will be able to distribute Wi-Fi to any other devices, providing a pretty decent speed.
The “twisted pair” wire is laid from the switch at the entrance to the place where you plan to make an exit point to the Network. A special tool is used to mount an RJ-45 plug on the cable, which you need to plug into the corresponding socket on the side panel of your laptop.
Connecting to the Network Will not be possible without the necessary drivers for the network card. To check the correctness of their installation, do the following:
- Windows XP. Go to the control panel, clicked “Start”, select the network connections section.
- For Windows 7 and older. Go from the control window to the network and general access settings section, then select the change settings for the adapter.
If in the window that appears next, you see the line “Ethernet” or an entry saying that there is a connection, then the driver is installed correctly.
If the window that opens is empty, the driver is probably not installed.
Ways to connect a laptop to the Internet
You can connect a laptop to the wired Internet in several ways:
- Via a USB modem, which is convenient, for example, in the country, but such a connection often provides sufficient speed and is usually more expensive;
- Using Wi-Fi if there is an access point, for example, when a Wi-Fi router can be turned on with a stationary computer with the Internet;
- This can be done via a wired Ethernet network, which provides the highest speed, in connection to which we will talk about.
Connecting the laptop to the Internet via a cable
A laptop is often used as a home computer, as a result of which the problem of accessing an inexpensive Internet, which, in addition, has a high speed is relevant for it. These qualities are today more consistent with an Ethernet connection, therefore, we will tell you how to make the correct Internet settings on a laptop.
Alternative internet for summer cottages
Note that in the country, where it is not possible to connect to the Internet via a cable, the best choice would be to use a USB modem. With its connection, as a rule, there are no problems:
- Insert the SIM card into the modem, then connect the device to the laptop;
- The system will detect a new device and offer to install a program that allows you to use the modem on your device;
- You may then have to enter the PIN code indicated on the card, after which the modem will automatically connect the laptop to the Internet.
In a word, you can connect to the Internet, which would have a high speed even in the country, through a cable or a router, while the procedure for setting up the connection may sometimes differ slightly.
Connecting a laptop to the wired Internet: turning on, configuring and converting
A laptop is a full-fledged computer, which can work anywhere without being connected to the mains, you can easily take it with you on vacation, study, or dacha. In terms of functionality, a modern laptop is not inferior to a home computer and therefore has recently begun to replace it frequently. It is NOT difficult to connect it to an inexpensive high-speed internet
Laptop adapter to connect to the Internet
A network card is an additional device that allows a computer to interact with devices that distribute the Internet from a provider. The main purpose of a network card is to combine computer devices with each other.
When manufactured, with the exception of older models, laptops are equipped with a network adapter. This makes it possible to connect to the Internet without purchasing a separate part. For laptops, not those with a built-in wireless adapter, there are external adapters that can be connected via USB or another device port.
How to connect an old laptop without a network card, or the device does not support the new network standard? If the network card does not work, then the external adapter can completely replace it.
Note! There are many external compact adapters on the market that connect via USB and they are great for laptops.
How to connect a laptop to the Internet
Modern models are equipped with built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth. everything that a home computer has. The procedure for connecting a laptop to the Internet is simple and practically does not differ from a similar operation on a stationary computer. There are today two types of connecting a laptop to the Internet. wired and wireless, which can be done in several ways: connect to a network cable, Wi-Fi device, network card or turn on to a second computer. Some techniques, in order to make an online inclusion, do not require special costs, and for the second, you need to buy auxiliary equipment.
You should choose the Most suitable method for connecting your computer to the Internet, using:
Note! The choice may depend on the activity and location of the user.
How to connect wired internet to laptop? High speed internet is best achieved with optical links. For a wired connection, the so-called twisted pair is used. a type of cable consisting of one or more pairs of conductors, which are twisted together.
A cable is laid into an apartment or office, through which an Internet signal is received. It connects it to a netbook or to a device that distributes the signal between the appliances connected to it. The first method is relevant in large organizations and offices, but at home it also makes sense to connect a wired connection to at least one computer, since it has a number of advantages:
- The speed of receiving and sending information with a wired connection is about 2 times higher than that of Wi-Fi;
- When exchanging files with the server, the latency is minimal;
- resistant to interference;
- Signal strength depends on obstacles in the path of passage and the influence of external factors.
Note! The disadvantage is that the mobile laptop becomes a stationary computer tied to a cable.
It is convenient to connect to the Internet through a DOCSIS TV cable, since you can use a TV and a computer from it, and it pays two services to one company. Here the signal goes to a cable modem connected to a PC or router, and is distributed to the TV and online.
The world’s most widespread wired Internet is ADSL, which provides high-speed network communications over copper wires of telephone lines. The advantage of ADSL is that there is no need to stretch new channels for communication.
Note! The use of the phone and the Internet can occur simultaneously, and without interfering with each other thanks to a device installed at the input. ADSL. a splitter designed to convert an incoming or outgoing signal into digital, and vice versa.
Advantages of ADSL communication:
- Permanent connection and Internet access;
- There is a need to lay an additional cable;
- Simultaneous use of the telephone and the Internet on one telephone line;
- Relatively low price for equipment and provider services.
The second type. wireless, provides an Internet connection through radio waves. Advances in technology make it possible to use more than one computer at home. Wi-Fi is a special equipment that will transmit the Internet with the ability to connect several devices to it at once. It is convenient to set up a Wi-Fi access point and transmit a signal to any connected equipment at the same time, allows you to turn on the Internet from a smartphone, tablet or laptop anywhere where there is an access point. This method is becoming more and more popular, and this type of Internet is very convenient for people who are in constant motion. Convenience is that the devices work without a cable.
Note! After connecting the Internet to the house, the cable must be connected to special equipment. a router, which will perceive signals, converting them into Wi-Fi and transmit them to devices (phone, computer, TV).
- Wireless connection;
- Accommodation in any convenient part of the house;
- Can be connected by multiple devices at the same time.
For a laptop to work, you need to configure the operating system for personal computers. Windows (Windows. derivative after translation) is the name of one of the systems. This is the most important program that controls your computer. If the operating system is not installed, then when the computer starts up there will be only a black screen with different letters and numbers. There are different versions of customization in the Windows operating system, and they will be slightly different from each other.
Laptop does not connect to the internet via cable
You need to immediately check if the power cord is securely connected to the laptop, make sure that the device sees the power on. Plug the electrical wire into the network (Ethernet) connector on the motherboard.
Check the settings for obtaining an IP address. Most ISPs work with automatically obtaining an IP address. Unplug the cable from the network board, wait a few seconds and insert it back. The connection to the computer network should be restored.
To restart a computer. A soft restart completely clears or restores the contents of the RAM and resumes work on the computer or on another device.
If you are using a router, and from it the cable is connected to the computer, then its configuration may have gone wrong. You can pull out the cord from the router and plug it directly into the system unit.
Note! A situation may arise that the router has broken down. They are practically NOT repaired, you need to buy another.
Problems can also arise from the provider. You need to call him and make sure that everything is in order with the Internet connection.
The difficulty may appear from the fact that the network card is disabled.
The account has run out of money. Some providers are reporting this. If there is such a message, then in the subscriber’s personal account, you can see the status of the account, or call those. Support.
Note! Computer viruses can block entry. Malicious programs are so named for their ability to “infect” many files on a computer. You need to check the entire system using antivirus.
How to connect the Internet directly to a laptop
Today, every user of a smartphone, tablet, laptop or second gadget needs the function of connecting to the Internet, but not everywhere mobile or wired Internet is available. In this case, a low-cost, universal device with a USB output, which connects to the Internet via wireless technologies, will help.
A small device can look different, so you can choose it according to your taste. In appearance, it may resemble a USB flash drive into which a SIM card is inserted.
To connect, you will need to select a tariff, use the menu to activate the SIM card and the balance on it. Insert the modem into the laptop and click the “Connect” button in the program menu.
Note! Laptops equipped with modern internet receiver, mobile and comfortable.
Modern devices Must be mobile and NOT dependent on electrical wires. Reliability and speed of communication allows you to increase productivity. Choosing a wireless Internet for a laptop is not a very difficult task that can be solved simply and quickly. The latest technology makes it faster and more reliable.
Ethernet. One-stop solution
After the euphoria regarding DSL technology and the use of cable modems to provide broadband access gradually faded away, attention was drawn to operational, technical, organizational and legal problems related to these services. In order to meet the ever-growing demand for more and more high bandwidth, both providers and equipment suppliers have increasingly begun to consider an alternative to broadband access. connecting via Ethernet with the introduction of fiber optic cable.
What are its advantages?
Gigabit Ethernet is very, very relevant, because it is practically the ideal ratio of performance and price, representing an almost ideal choice for backbone applications Not only in some INDIVIDUAL corporate networks, but also for building full-fledged operator networks. A fairly good solution for wiring inside a particular building is multimode or singlemode fiber, as well as twisted pair, belonging to the fifth category. Designed initially to provide LAN connectivity for local computers, this network ultimately became one of the most economical, but at the same time allows you to achieve extremely high bandwidth, especially when compared to DSL, as well as various wireless and cable modems.
A typical architecture that is used in the networks of modern providers is the implementation at the first stage of 10-megabit or 100-megabit Ethernet channels, which are routed to separate rooms or apartments of a certain building, and are connected to the building services using a specialized switch from Cisco Catalyst. In order to provide connection to USB via Ethernet or MAN city network, a full-fledged gigabit or even multi-gigabit Ethernet connection is formed. Aggregation of the schedule of various ring metropolitan networks is carried out using a third-level switch.
A service provider that is committed to providing broadband may Provide its customers with an Internet connection that will run directly to Individual users or to entire small businesses. By providing the services of an Internet provider in the urban area, the company can also offer new complex services with added value. In order to ensure the most efficient use of the ETTNA network, the service provider must make sure that subscribers spend the maximum possible amount of time and money in the internal network instead of consuming resources of access to global resources.
How such networks are connected?
Modern metropolitan areas have a large number of buildings, which are extremely attractive to network service providers. These are commercial business parks, office complexes, apartment buildings, universities and many other similar objects. In order to provide a new connection to the Internet through a router using Ethernet, network service providers use specialized “dark” fiber. Among the main advantages, which distinguishes this technology, it is worth highlighting the maximum possible speed and distance of the network. up to 100 km without using any intermediate amplifiers or regeneration. At the same time, it should be noted that such an Internet connection through a router using Ethernet implies potentially unlimited bandwidth, and this is already very, very tempting for providers.
What is Ethernet?
The solution to the problem is broadcasting speech, images and various data through an extremely simple, but at the same time relatively inexpensive Ethernet network. The unique advantage of this solution is that its use with fiber as a transmission medium allows you to achieve gigabit access through the network directly from the premises of the customers themselves.
DSL and its fall
Since 2000, a real breakthrough in the field of broadband access began in Europe, and many operators began to actively offer their DSL services, and some of them completely demonopolized their subscriber channels in order to provide access to them for many other alternative operators. Today’s cable TV operators began deploying cable modems to provide their customers with combined Internet and cable TV services, and governments almost overnight began auctioning broadband FWA licenses.
It should be noted right away that no one connects the Internet via a telephone using Ethernet technology. The connection itself is carried out as follows:
- Go to the tab “Devices”.
- Push the button “Create a”, which is on the toolbar.
- We choose from the options available to us “Ethernet connection” (options are in the list “Connection type”), then press the button “Forward”.
- If your board is already in the list of equipment, then in this case you need to select it from the list under the Table of Contents “Ethernet card”. If it is not in this list, then in this case you need to select the item “Other Ethernet card” in order to use the equipment available to you. It should be noted right away that the installation utility completely independently determines whether the Ethernet devices it supports are connected, therefore, it offers you their configuration. If the setting was carried out by you during the installation, then in this case the devices will be shown in the list in the tab “Equipment”.
- If option was selected “Other Ethernet card”, then after that a window with a table of contents will appear “Select adapter”. In this window, you will need to select the manufacturer, as well as the model of your board and the name of the device itself. If the first such card is installed in the computer, then in this case you can choose eth0 as the name, and then simply change the number with each new card. In addition, the program “Network configuration” will also allow you to carefully tune your network card resources. After completing all procedures, click “Forward”.
- In the window “Configure network settings” you will need to choose between a static IP address as well as DHCP. In the event that your device receives a different IP address, you do not need to specify the hostname for each subsequent connection to the network. Press again “Forward”.
- Now press “Apply” and use the Internet.
Connecting via Ethernet: tips and instructions
Today, Ethernet connectivity is the only technology that is potentially ready for a fairly rapid development of any type of service or application. Of course, the best is the enemy of the good, but people are so eager to make internet connections more reliable, faster, and cheaper that sometimes it seems like they are not. Thus, recently, a new technology has emerged and has begun to become widespread. people are choosing to use Ethernet over traditional connectivity options.
All new. Long forgotten old
It is worth noting that this technology has been quite actively used before, but only recently have specialists begun to consider it as a full-fledged analogue of the existing connection options. Initially as Equivalent, and over time as the most promising among all existing approaches to the device of an access network. According to the specialists of Cisco Systems, whose equipment is actively used today by almost all leading Internet service providers, the main advantage of this technology is that it is used not only to PROVIDE access to the Internet, but also to provide a number of other services. including voice transmission, building corporate networks and many others. At the same time, the cost of this solution, if we consider it from the point of view of operating and capital costs, in most cases is lower in comparison with the use of traditional technologies such as ATM / FR or SDH.
In parallel with the growing competition between alternative and traditional operators in the field of local communication lines, these same operators are beginning to optimize their own networks in order to ensure a more profitable cost of providing their services to the end user. In most cases, a single package is used, which includes the transmission of data, speech, multimedia, as well as providing full access to the Internet.
Also, ISPs providing Ethernet connectivity can attract new customers by leveraging future-proof solutions by adopting a variety of network architectures that can be used to rapidly grow bandwidth-intensive applications including IP video surveillance as well as a variety of multimedia applications.