All About Local Area Network in Windows 10: Create, Configure, Modify, and Troubleshoot
A local area network is often used for business purposes, when the user of one PC needs to quickly access a certain file or disk of another device. However, in private use, such a network is also quite useful. For example, if you have two computers or laptops, then you can transfer data via a local network, and not using removable media. It is much easier, faster and more reliable.
How to create and configure a local area network in the Windows 10 operating system?
Earlier we wrote about how to create a homegroup on a PC running Windows 10. In creating a local network, we need a workgroup, while on all PCs that you are going to connect to the local network, the same names must be assigned. You can check the name of the working group as follows:
After the name of the working group is the same on all PCs, we perform the following steps.
The preparatory phase is over. As a result of the actions taken, all computers should have the same workgroup name, enabled network discovery, file and printer sharing. These actions are aimed at ensuring that computers are connected to the same router. In some cases, it is required to register a static IP address in the subnet in the connection properties.
Now, in order to provide access to disks on a PC over a local network, it is worth doing the following:
- We are looking for a folder that we want to make available to other users and right-click on it and select “Properties”.
- We return to the properties of the folder. Go to the “Security” tab. Click on the “Change” button, and in the new window. “Add”. We select the item “All”.
- Restart your computer.
- To access this folder, you need to go to “Explorer”. Here, in the left menu, select “Network” or your group. Open a folder open for access.
To change the network type or network location on Windows 10, you need to follow these steps:
- Click “Start”, “Settings” and select “Network and Internet”.
- In the next window, if you want to make the network private, then drag the slider to the “Enabled” position. Thus, you will change the type of public network to home.
- In the next window, you need to drag the slider to the “Enabled” position to make the network private or to the “Disabled” position to make the network “Public”.
You can also change the network type using the command line. To do this, enter the following commands in PowerShell:
- Set-NetConnectionProfile.InterfaceIndex interface_number.NetworkCategory Public. a command for a public network, where instead of the interface number we insert “InterfaceIndex X”, which can be seen in the results of running the first command.
- Set-NetConnectionProfile.InterfaceIndex interface_number.NetworkCategory Private. command for private network.
How to map a network drive in Windows 10?
In order not to climb into a network connection every time, once again open tabs, Win 10 folders can be thrown into the disk and simplify the speed of working with the system. A network drive is intended for this purpose. To connect it in Windows 10, follow these steps:
- In the Start menu or on the Metro tiles, look for the My Computer icon and right-click on it. Select “Map network drive”.
- Next, in a new window, select the drive letter and specify the folder that you want to make a network drive. To do this, click “Browse” and specify the path to the folder.
What to do if Dune can’t see network folders in Windows 10?
The popularity of the Dune console has not declined over the years. But with the upgrade to Win 10, many users faced the problem where Dune sees the computer on the network, but cannot display files and folders. There is a solution to this problem.
- In the “Control Panel”, namely in the homegroup settings, you need to specify which folders you want to allow for public access. You may not have specified separate folders for the Dune prefix.
- Install FTP data transfer protocol on your PC and share folders for Dune.
- Disable the firewall that can block access to the media player.
- We carry out the correct connection, namely: we connect the LAN connector of the Dune player to the router, turn on the power of the player and wait up to 3 minutes until the media player receives an IP address.
- As soon as the menu appears, select “Pop up menu”. Next, select “Create a network folder”.
- Enter the parameters of your network drive or look for them in the “Network Browser” item. The network drive should be listed here.
To access folders, files and drives on PCs running Win 10, enter “ftp: // ip_address” or “\\ ip_address” in Windows Explorer, where “ip_address”. Player’s IP address.
What to do if the PC does not see the network or it disappears?
After upgrading to Win 10, many users encountered a number of errors related to connecting the computer over a local network. Such errors are manifested in the fact that the PC does not see the network, or sees computers, but does not give them access. Also, the network may disappear. What to do in this case?
If your network disappears or the PC does not see it at all, we perform the following actions:
- Opening “Notepad”.
- Enter the following characters.
If the PC does not see the network after the registry tweak, check the connection cable, group name. It may also be that the changes made in the “Network and Sharing Center” did not take effect. To do this, you need to reboot the device.
If your PC sees the network, but does not allow you to perform any actions, then it is worth updating the network card drivers. We also recommend disabling the antivirus for a while, as it can block the access of other devices to the local network.
How to fix error 0x80070035 when network path not found in Windows 10?
The error 0x80070035 encountered by Windows 10 users indicates that the application that is responsible for accessing the Internet cannot find the network path. That is, network detection does not occur and the program crashes.
To set up a local network and get rid of error 0x80070035, you need to find out what type of node is being used. To do this, in the Win 10 command line with administrator rights, enter “ipconfig / all”.
If you have “One-way node type”, then error 0x80070035 may occur. To fix it, go to the registry editor. To do this, press “WinR” and enter “regedit”.
Then follow the branch “HKEY_LOKAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ NETBT \ Parameters”. Find and delete parameters such as “NodeTYPE” and “DhcpNodeTYPE”. Restart the PC for the changes to take effect.
For more information on error 0x80070035 in Win 10, follow the link.
For instructions for this chapter in video format, see:
Even in the absence of a router, it is possible to connect two laptops to a local network. For this we use a built-in wireless module (adapter). Starting with the VISTA version, and in newer ones, the “Connection Wizard” is used for this purpose.
In this case, you should configure one device to receive a signal, the other to send. Consider their location as well, as concrete walls and other obstructions can block the signal.
If we are talking about laptops, it is better to first configure them when they are located next to each other, and only then determine the maximum distance between them experimentally.
When a Wi-Fi transmitter is installed on both devices or the module is turned on (if these are laptops), you can proceed to the settings of the first. To connect computers to a network, there is the following instruction:
- Open “Control Center”. This window is opened by clicking on the shortcut to access the Internet in the tray (on the top ten through the “Network and Internet Settings”).
- Enable new connection setup.
- Select the connection type “Configuring the wireless network Computer-Computer”. Then the system will tell you that this network is temporary, and if there is a connection to another network, the current connection may be disconnected.
- A window will open asking you to enter the future SSID (network name), encryption method and future password. The most efficient type is WPA2, although since the connection is local, the password may not be used at all. over, if there are no third-party users in the coverage area.
- After entering all the data, a window will open informing you of the completion of the configuration. The network appeared among the available connections and will work until other users are connected to it.
Before connecting a second PC, you will need to change the access to the provided data. Similar to setting up a network using a router, you will need to open the parameters of directories or disks and allow full access to them for other users. You will also need to activate network discovery.
On the second device, it remains to enable the search for new wireless networks, find the created one and click “Connect”. You may be prompted for a password (if you provided one). After that, you can use any information that is open to access.
This solution allows you to connect 2 or more laptops or computers using the built-in Wi-Fi module. On the host computer, the message “Waiting for connection” will appear in the tray. this indicates that the network is ready to work.
Through a home router
An easy way to connect network equipment is to use a router that is in every home. It does not matter what kind of connection is used. patch cord or “over the air”. At the same time, all combined devices receive their own IP address and access to the Internet, which allows data exchange between them.
For clarity, you can see
To connect 2 laptops to each other via Wi-Fi, use the following instruction:
- When the router is running and configured, activate the Wi-Fi transmission modules (install them if we are talking about a stationary PC).
- Go to “This computer”, select the “Computer” tab, click “Properties”. On both PCs, the name must be the same in the “Workgroup” field. Standard. Workgroup.
- Next, open the “Control Panel”, click on “Home Group”, click on “Create Home Group”, if there is none yet. Make sure to use home network as the network type in the Internet settings. If you have a group, you can start customizing it.
- You need to highlight the items available for the second PC and change the additional options related to sharing.
- They need to activate network discovery, open access to printers and files. Better to give up password protection. On the top ten you need to go to the “Control Center”, go to “Change advanced sharing settings” (in the menu on the left).
- It remains to go to the “Control Center” and open the “Network Map” near the active connection. A new window will show you how to connect your router, internet, and connected PCs. Just click on the connected device to open access to it.
In the default settings, access to a part of the data located on the C drive is open. You can manually open access completely:
- Right click on a disk or directory, access to which you want to open from another computer.
- Open the menu “Sharing”, select “Advanced setup” (for a disk), “All” (for a directory). If you open access to the disk, just select “All” and tick the suggested permissions.
The instruction allows you to connect computers via Wi-Fi. Now there will be no restrictions in the exchange of information, and PCs will equally have access to the Internet.
Using this method, difficulties may arise, including connection errors, the requirement to enter a password, and more. This is due to the peculiarities of Windows, which has some vagaries in the field of security.
In such cases, the following settings should be checked:
- Firewall or antivirus software options. Both tools can block the connection, so it is a good idea to turn them off to check if they are interfering with the merge.
- Account settings. You should try to create identical records with identical codes and names. Do not set an empty access code. You can create a Guest by granting all available permissions.
- It is possible that both computers have different dates and times. This one also stands at Honor.
To check if the connection is working, you can use the command line:
- Open the “Network Map”, hover the cursor over the laptop to see its IP address.
- Press the WinR combination, type cmd to launch the text interface.
- Enter ping, enter the IP address of the device after a space.
- If the packet transfer is in full swing, there are no problems.
Thus, it is possible to connect not only two computers via a Wi-Fi router. The only thing is that the more devices connected, the lower the data transfer rate can be.
However, in order to noticeably slow down the speed, more than 20 users must be connected.
How to network computers over Wi-Fi: step-by-step instructions
As the field of use of computers is constantly expanding and the amount of data increases, the emergence of networking was only a matter of time. There are currently different ways to create a network connection between networked devices. So, it is possible to connect them with a cable, creating a local network, or, if there is a Wi-Fi router, make a wireless connection. If there is no router, Wi-Fi adapters will help us to solve the problem.
Internet connection is optional, so there will be no difficulties with how to connect PC to PC via Wi-Fi. As for stationary PCs, they need to connect a wireless signal transmitter (in laptops, they are provided by default).
To connect two laptops with a network cable, use a simple guide:
- Plug both ends of the cable into the ports connecting to the network interface card.
- List one workgroup and give different names to laptops. To do this, you need to right-click on “My Computer” and click on “Properties”. These parameters are located there. After the changes, it is imperative to reboot the system.
- On each laptop, open the “Control Panel”, select “Network and Internet” and go to “Network Control Center”. Select your network adapter and go to its properties.
- Select the “IP version 4” protocol item and specify the settings below.
Check that the values are correct on the first computer:
- IP address: 192.168.0.1;
- Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
- IP address: 192.168.0.2;
- Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0;
- Default gateway: 192.168.0.1;
- Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
After saving, you can open the explorer and go to the “Network” shortcut. It will display the second laptop connected to the local network. To work with files and directories on both devices, you will need to open shared access, which was already mentioned in the section “Via a router”.
The article turned out to be voluminous. If you look at it, the topic is not at all complicated. However, the instruction is written on the example of Windows 7. It can be applied to other operating systems, the principle is similar. If you suddenly have questions or something didn’t work out, write in the comments. We will definitely look and try to help.!
Note: This guide is applicable when both your Android device and computer are connected to the same Wi-Fi router.
First of all, you need to configure a local network on your computer (even if there is only one computer) and provide network access to the necessary folders, for example, with video and music. How to do this, I wrote in detail in the previous article: How to configure a local area network LAN in Windows.
In further instructions, I will proceed from the fact that everything described in the above article has already been completed.
How to connect Android to LAN Windows LAN
This article is about how to connect your Android phone or tablet to your local Windows network. Even if you do not have any local network, and there is only one computer at home (but connected to a router), this article will still be useful.
By connecting to the local network, you will be able to access the Windows network folders on your Android device. That is, for example, in order to watch a movie, it will not necessarily be dropped on the phone (it can be played directly from the network), and the transfer of files between a computer and a mobile device is also facilitated.
Connecting Android to Windows LAN
In my example, to connect to a local network with Android, I will use the free file manager application ES Explorer (ES Explorer). In my opinion, this is the best file manager on Android and, among other things, it has everything you need to access network folders (and not only that, for example, you can connect to all popular cloud services, including and with different accounts).
After installation, launch the application and go to the network connection tab (your device must be connected via Wi-Fi through the same router as a computer with a configured local network), the transition between tabs is easily done using a swipe (gesture with a finger with one side of the screen to the other).
Next, you have two options:
- Press the Scan button, then an automatic search for computers on the network will occur (if the desired computer is found, you can immediately interrupt the search, otherwise it may take a long time).
- Click the “Create” button and specify the parameters manually. When manually specifying the parameters, if you configured the local network according to my instructions, the username and password will not be needed, but the internal IP address of the computer in the local network will be needed. It is best if you specify on the computer itself a static IP in the subnet of the router, otherwise it may change when the computer is turned on and off.
After connecting, you will immediately get access to all network folders to which such access is allowed and you will be able to perform the necessary actions with them, for example, as already mentioned, play videos, music, watch photos or something else at your discretion.
Distribution of new, sometimes interesting and useful materials from the remontka.pro website. No ads and free computer help for subscribers from the author. Other subscription methods (VK, Odnoklassniki, Telegram., YouTube, Yandex.Dzen)
Hello! When connecting via LAN to a PC, it is impossible to go to some folders, it says to me: STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED (3221225506): Could not connect to \. Folders drive C, D and ADMIN
I only have a guess: On Windows 10 (if you suddenly have it), you need to have administrator rights to complete the C drive to the root. Perhaps, when connecting, full access is requested, and since the connection is not an administrator, the corresponding message.
These, like a carbon copy of articles in the internet, that footcloths in the warehouse.
So I don’t really need to see / enter / transfer files to folders on Windows (laptop) on a local network via wi-fi with Android (Z28 Pro TV-box without root, with a USB HDD connected), I need ALL of this, but only on the contrary, I need to see the contents of the folders on the HDD connected to the TV set-top box from the laptop. I’m tired of looking for suitable software!
Another fable. Does not work. Shows folders, but does not open. Put permissions in general for all full.
Thank you, it turned out to connect to the configured home grid at once with both the tablet and the TV box.
Everything works well. It is only necessary to keep the media files in the corresponding PC libraries, or change the location of the libraries to the directories with media files.
Tell me how to set up a download from Android to a folder on the local network? There is a local file storage on the raspberry pi, and it is not always advisable to do extra. movement if Smart is in hand.
I’m afraid I don’t know how to do this for any downloads at all. But: Google suggests that, for example, some Android torrent clients (such as atorrent and ttorrent are indicated) allow uploading to network folders immediately. Hence, I assume that some browsers may have such simple abilities.
Setting up a home network on a computer is a very hazy business. Over the years, I returned out of curiosity to this topic. Almost never managed to create a home network with all my devices.
At first, everything was almost automatically set up and worked for several days, fell off a couple of times, but rescanning helped, and now it writes Authorization error and nothing helps,
And no changes were made to usernames, passwords on the computer and on the phone.?
Dmitry, here I discovered that the ES conductor was cut out from the Play Market six months ago. Available through off. the site is in the form of an APK, but still it will not be convenient for everyone to install through APK, and if they were removed, then there was a reason. I propose to rewrite the instruction with an example of another file manager. For example, I configured it through the Total Commander LAN plugin. On the one hand, it’s a problem to install two applications and not one, but on the other hand, they are light in weight, and work.
Yes, the conductor knows about ES and agrees that he doesn’t belong here anymore. And in the article about “the best file managers” too. Made a note, I’ll get to making edits one day.
Hello. I started the program. Computers appeared on the network. I want to open. I can not. the window-connection to smb drops out; //. You need a login and password. And-all.
This means a login password for a computer user with access to the necessary folders, provided that they are publicly accessible. For example, you have a User on the PC with the password Passsword and use them accordingly.
And if the user on the PC is passwordless?
In the sharing properties, uncheck “password protected access”, here it is described in the last section: https://remontka.pro/shared-folders-disks-Windows-10/
My question popped up on the page. Then he disappeared. What have I violated! 11
Nothing, I think. Most likely, your cookies are disabled or cleared), and that’s gone. Now I will answer all the comments, yours will also appear.
Hello! I have a question of a slightly different nature (perhaps for a whole article). There is an Android emulator on win 10, there is a smartphone I wanted to play with a friend over the network, he’s on the phone, I’m on the emulator, but I don’t know how to connect everyone to the same network, the emulator creates a virtual Mac address and ip. I will also be grateful for a link to the resource where this issue is covered.
Hello. Does the game support this. playing on a local network? Then, it seems (but I write this without checking, I could be wrong), it should work like that, the IP address that is in the emulators on the virtual adapter, it is usually within the local network and is “visible”.
How to connect a printer over a local network
If you have several computers and only one printer, then you probably had to run from one computer to another with a USB flash drive in order to print a document. This is very inconvenient because it takes a lot of time and makes you break away from the current work. The solution to this problem may be a network printer. In this article, we will talk about how to connect a printer via a local network.
In this article, we will only describe the process of connecting a printer over a local network. In order for you to be able to use this instruction, you must have already built a local network and the printer must be connected to one of the computers.
Sharing the printer.
In order to connect the printer to a computer over a network, you need to open public access to it. To do this, open the Start menu and go to “Devices and Printers”.
If you are using Windows 8, then you need to open the start screen with tiles and search for “Devices and Printers”.
After that, the operating system will prompt you to open this window. In the “Devices and Printers” window, you will see printers, as well as other devices connected to your computer.
Here you need to right-click on the printer that you want to make available over the network, and select the “Printer Properties” menu item.
After that, the “Printer Properties” window will open in front of you, here you need to go to the “Access” tab. On the “Sharing” tab, you must enable the “Share this printer” function.
After enabling sharing, close this window by clicking on the “OK” button. That’s it, now your printer is available on the local network.
We connect the printer via a local network to another computer.
Now we need to connect this printer to another computer over the local network. To do this, open the “Devices and Printers” window on the second computer and click on the “Add Printer” button.
After that, the “Add Printer” window will open in front of you, in it you need to click on the “Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer” button.
After searching for printers, the operating system will prompt you to connect the printer to which you previously opened access.
All you need to do is select the found printer and click on the “Next” button. This completes the process of connecting the printer via the local network.
But, if the operating system has not found the printer you need, then click on the button “The required printer is not found in the search.” After clicking on this button, the system will prompt you to enter the printer address manually.
The printer address must be entered in the following format: “\\ Computer IP Address \ PrinterName”. For example: \\ 192.168.1.2 \ HP.
After searching for the printer by IP address, the operating system will inform you that the printer has been successfully connected over the network.
After this message, the connected network printer will appear in the system and will be available for use.
The creator of the site comp-security.net, the author of more than 2000 articles on computer repair, working with programs, setting up operating systems.
Appreciate. Very clear and without useless terminology, Thank you
Thank you, everything is short to the point and written very clearly.
And how to find out ping on a neighboring PC if it is under a password?
What is a network printer
A network printer is also called a shared printer. This is a printer that is accessible by computers that are not directly connected to it. The printer is connected to only one computer, but other computers that are on the same network with the “host” computer can print to it. This is a very convenient feature as it eliminates the need to transfer files or use the main computer for printing.
Until recently, the Homegroup function was responsible for shared network printers. In Windows 10 1803, it is no longer supported and will slowly disappear from the system. Fortunately, the ability to use a network printer is still there. Users can still configure the printer as a shared printer and access it from other computers.
For reference, many modern printers support remote (or “server”) printing. If your printer has such an option, use it because it works more efficiently and more conveniently (such a printer will be accessible remotely even if the computer to which it is directly connected is turned off). Check out the user manual or check the specs on the official website. For cheaper or older printers, you will have to use the features built into Windows 10.
How to make a printer networked in Windows 10
In order not to run from computer to computer with documents on a flash drive or upload files for printing to the cloud once again, Microsoft has built in Windows the ability to use a shared network printer and shared network folders. In this manual, we will show you how to make the printer networked so that you can print to it from another computer that is not directly connected to the printer.
How to connect and configure a network printer
Configuring a printer over a local network begins with a computer to which the printer is physically connected, that is, with a USB cable. Make sure all required drivers are installed, the printer is turned on and working.
Important: network printing will not work if a computer with a physical connection to the printer is turned off.
- Click Win I and go to Devices. Printers & Scanners. Click on your printer and then click Manage. I don’t use a printer, so this article is based on the Send to OneNote 2016 “printer” example. Don’t be confused by the strange name. The procedure will be exactly the same for traditional printers.
After that, your network printer will be listed in the list of all devices and you can send your documents to it from applications.
How to Set Up a LAN Network | Internet Setup
Can’t set up a network printer
It happens. If you are having difficulty setting up your printer over a local area network, there are a few tips that can help you. In general, the system for setting up and operating shared printers is quite simple. If the printer works on the primary PC, then it will work on other computers on the network. The main thing is that nothing prevents devices from communicating with each other on this very network.
Both computers must be on the same private network, and network discovery must be enabled in the settings. Perform the following procedure on both computers:
- First of all, make sure the network settings are the same on both devices. All PCs must be on a private network. To check this, press Win I and go to the Network & Internet section. Condition. Change network properties.
- Make sure you have the network profile set to Private.
- Then go back to the Network & Internet. Status section. Click Sharing Options.
- Your current network will be indicated by the Current Profile checkbox. Make sure you have Enable Network Discovery and Enable File and Printer Sharing options enabled.
- Save changes.
The problem may also be caused by the translation of the PC name into an IP address when specifying the path to the printer.
- Try the IP address \ Printer name instead of COMPUTER NAME \ PRINTER NAME. For example, not Taras-PC \ Test Printer, but 192.168.1.9 \ Test Computer. The IPv4 address of the computer can be found in Parameters. Network and Internet. Status. Change connection properties. Properties. Ipv4 address.
- After that, make sure that the firewall is not blocking the sharing. In the lower right corner, click on the Windows Defender icon and click on Firewall and Network Security in the new window. Then click Allow application through firewall.
- On the new window, under Allowed programs and features, look for File and Printer Sharing. Make sure the checkbox is next to the network you are using. If not, click Change settings, check the boxes, and then click OK.
If you are using third-party firewall applications, the procedure for enabling sharing will be different, but the principle is the same.
How to connect devices to the network?
Now let’s move on to how to connect all computers and gadgets to your home network. Here you need to perform a number of actions, indicated below.
To share any folder, the first thing to do is disable the password. To do this, perform the following manipulations:
- enter the section “Changing the parameters of the home group”;
- click on the column “Change additional parameters of the general access”;
- turn on network detection by placing an icon opposite the corresponding inscription;
- open access to folders and devices by checking the box next to the inscriptions with the word “Enable”;
- disable the password by placing an icon opposite the corresponding inscription.
For two computers
Immediately a disclaimer. both computers must be connected through one router to the same Wi-Fi network. All actions must be repeated on both PCs. And I will also remind you about safety! If your network is not password-protected and your neighbor who loves freebies is hanging on it, after creating a local network, you risk that your files, photos, videos will become a neighbor’s property. Like this!
You can make a local network for two computers via cable and Wi-Fi. I will describe the second option. All settings are described using the example of Windows 7, but they are also relevant for other operating systems.
- Make sure both PCs work in the same group. How to do it? I’m telling you. Click WinR and write the sysdm.cpl command. Click “Ok”. We need the item “Working group”. It is necessary that both computers have the same name. You can change it. Don’t forget to do the same on the second PC.
- Through the control panel, we need to get to the “Change advanced sharing settings” section. We are looking for the inscription “Current profile” and make the changes we need. In the window that opens, you will need to activate all the items that begin with the word “enable”. Except for the item at the bottom of this page. “Sharing with password protection”. Here we need to disable.
- We do a reboot. That’s basically all the settings. You can check. Go to “My computer”, then “Network” and you will see all devices that are united by a home group.
For a video tutorial on creating a home network for two PCs, see here:
The password suggested by the system is difficult to remember. You have to keep a piece of information at hand all the time. For this reason, it’s easier to come up with your own code. To change the password, proceed as follows:
- they enter the section for selecting a home group or click on the inscription indicating that they have joined it;
- in the window that opens, click on the “Change password” column;
- enter new data and save changes.
To access your home network on your phone or any other gadget, you need a special program. The easiest way is to use ES File Explorer. To do this, you need to download it to your gadget, after which it is recommended to do the following:
- start the program;
- enter the “Network” section;
- click on the “LAN” button;
- click on the inscription: “Scan”.
After the operation is completed, access to the files will be opened.
You can also use the Asus Share Link utility to exchange data wirelessly. Such a program is available for installation on any Android device. To use the utility, perform the following manipulations:
- download the program to a computer or laptop;
- install the utility using the appropriate prompts;
- reboot the device.
After that, perform similar actions on the gadget:
- the program is downloaded to a tablet or phone;
- when the installation is complete, the utility is run.
To share files, devices sync. To do this, proceed as follows:
- the program is opened on a computer or laptop, as well as a phone or tablet;
- add files on one device or drag them with the mouse, and then click on the button: “Send”;
- on the other device, click on the inscription: “Accept files”;
- add the device to the trusted list to accept files without confirmation.
You will also be wondering how to connect a printer to a homegroup:
No access to shared folder
To resolve this issue, we recommend that you check your shared folder access settings. Perhaps this is where the mistake was made. In some cases, you can also solve the problem by disabling the antivirus program for the duration.
Granting access to folders
Although the homegroup has been created, all files will not be automatically shared. To view folders and files from two or more computers or gadgets, you must manually connect to the group. The main thing is to know how to connect all devices to your home network.
After creating a home network on Windows, you can connect other computers to the network. The operation takes only a few minutes. To connect, you need to view the active networks. In the column, an inscription should appear in the home group about the opportunity to join it. You must click on the link.
If there is no such inscription, you should change the network to your home network. To do this, proceed as follows:
- enter the tab: “Public network”;
- go to the home group by clicking on the corresponding inscription.
When the correct options are selected, you can connect. They do it like this:
- go to the section: “Share with other home computers”;
- click on the “Join” column;
- select all items to be accessed from all devices;
- click on the column: “Next”;
- enter the password in the corresponding window;
- click on the column: “Next”;
- click on the button: “Finish”.
How to Setup or Configure LAN Internet Connection to Laptop or Desktop PC
If you need to connect several devices to your home network, this manipulation is performed on all devices.
Configuring a Local Area Connection in Windows XP
Press the Start button. In the menu that appears, select “Control Panel”. Then, in the control panel, click on the “Network Connections” icon. If such an icon is not visible, first, on the left in the column, click on the link “Switch to classic view” and now again find the desired shortcut.
Now right-click on the “Local Area Connection” tab and select the “Properties” option.
In the window that appears, in the central list, select the option “Internet Protocol TCP / IP” and just below on the right, click on the Properties button.
Make sure that the “Obtain IP automatically” and “Obtain DNS server address automatically” options are checked in the window that appears. Then close all windows by clicking OK. The local area connection is now set up.
To change the MAC address of the network card, after completing step 2 of this instruction, in the window that appears, click on the Configure button.
Go to the “Advanced” or “Advanced” tab and on the left select the “Network address” or “Network Address” option from the list. In the “Value” or “Value” field, enter the MAC address consisting of 12 characters (Latin letters and numbers) without spaces, dashes and periods. The required MAC address can be found by calling the technical support of subscribers, having previously found out your username or contract number.
If you did not find the option “Network Address” or “Network Address”, you can change the MAC address using the program.
Configuring a Local Area Network Connection in Windows XP and Windows 7
This article will help you set up a local area network (LAN) connection in Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7, as well as how to change the MAC address (Mac address) of a network card if necessary.
It may be necessary to configure a local network on a computer if the provider uses an Internet access binding to the subscriber’s network equipment.
It is necessary to change the MAC address of the network card on a computer or laptop if, since connecting to the provider’s network, you have changed your computer or laptop, replaced the network card in your computer, or if you periodically connect a second computer or laptop to the Internet without installing a router.
You can find out the MAC address that should be indicated on the network card of a computer or laptop by calling the technical support of subscribers.
Select your computer’s operating system and task:
Configuring a Local Area Connection in Windows 7 or Vista
Press the “Start” button. In the menu that appears, select “Control Panel”. Then in the control panel we find the section “Network and Internet” and under it click on the link “View network status and tasks” or click on the shortcut “Network and Sharing Center”.
In the appeared section “Network and Sharing Center” on the left in the column, click on the link “Change adapter settings”.
If, when configuring a local network, the “Network Location Setting” window appears asking you to select a network location, select the “Home Network” option.
Now that you have gone to change the adapter options settings, find the “Local Area Connection” shortcut and right-click, then select the “Properties” option.
In the “Status. Local Area Connection” window that appears, click the Properties button.
In the new window “Local Area Connection. Properties” select the option “Internet Protocol Version 4” in the window and click the Properties button below and slightly to the right.
In the new “Properties: Internet Protocol Version 4” window, make sure that the “Obtain IP automatically” and “Obtain DNS server address automatically” options are checked. Then close all windows by clicking OK. The local area connection is now set up.
To change the MAC address of the network card, after completing step 5 of this instruction, click the Configure button in the window that appears.
Go to the “Advanced” or “Advanced” tab and on the left select the “Network address” or “Network Address” option from the list. In the “Value” or “Value” field, enter the MAC address consisting of 12 characters (Latin letters and numbers) without spaces, dashes and periods. The required MAC address can be found by calling the technical support of subscribers.
If you do not find the option “Network Address” or “Network Address”, you can change the MAC address on the computer using the program.
How to connect two laptops to each other over a local network?
Nowadays, a laptop is present in almost every home, because it is the most convenient and practical type of personal computers. However, sometimes users need to transfer files from laptop to laptop, and the appropriate media may not be at hand. In this case, the best solution would be to connect two laptops to each other via a local network, and in this article we will consider all possible ways to connect mobile PCs.
So, there are two most common ways to connect and / or exchange information between two personal computers.
How to connect laptop to laptop via WI-FI?
The easiest way to create such a local network is to connect a laptop to a laptop via WI-FI. Since all modern laptops are already equipped with a built-in WI-FI module, you can only do with the standard means of the operating system, and you do not need any additional software or equipment.
To connect 2 laptops wirelessly, you need:
- – on one of the computers (for example, from which the data will be transferred) open the “Network and Sharing Center”. “Change adapter settings”;
- – on an existing network, open the menu and select the “Properties” item in the presented list;
- – then open the properties of the “Internet Protocol 4 (TCP / IP)”: the parameters for obtaining the “ip address” should be set to “Automatic”;
In addition, you should disable password protection in the “All networks” section;
- now you need to create local wireless network between two laptops: open “Command Prompt” (WinP hereinafter cmd) and enter the command “netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = key =”, where “ssid =” is the name of the network to be created, “key =” is the security key for connecting to networks;
- now it only remains to start the network: for this, the same “Command Line” is used with the command “netsh wlan start hostednetwork”;
- the network is active, now from the second laptop, search for available “WI-FI networks” and connect to the network created at the previous stage by entering the security key;
- to connect to the target device, enter in the address bar “Explorer”. double slash \\ IP_address of the connected laptop: it may look like this \\ 192.168.1.2, the address can be found in the section “Network status”. “Information.
How to connect laptop to laptop via network cable?
The second method involves the insignificant cost of purchasing a “LAN cable” crimped in a crossover (reverse) method, and the process of setting up a local network between laptops is much simpler than that described above. But you have to pay for the connection speed with the mobility of the local network. And the settings will really take no more than a couple of minutes:
- – connect laptops to each other with “LAN cable”;
- – in the “Network and Sharing Center” open “Change adapter settings”. properties of “Internet Protocol 4 (TCP / IP). Network connections can also be accessed with the “ncpa.cpl” command;
- – write in the line “ip address” 192.168.0.1, the subnet mask will be determined automatically, and the main gateway can be left blank;
The entire local network between the two laptops is configured. You can connect to a computer according to the same principle: \\ ip_address or open “My computer”. “Network” and find the laptop you need in the list.
If the required device is not detected, check if you have selected all the checkboxes for network discovery in the “Change advanced sharing settings” section.
In conjunction with this method, you can use third-party programs to transfer files from laptop to laptop: the free program “HFS” (HTTP File Server), which does not require installation, is perfect for this work.
How to connect laptop to laptop via USB?
If these options are not suitable for you, you can use the Easy Transfer Cable adapter to connect the laptops to each other, using the USB ports of the laptops.
(for example, “Windows Easy Transfer Cable” from “ST Lab”).
So, to connect a laptop to a laptop via USB, connect the computers with the Easy Transfer Cable adapter and run the Total Comander program on both PCs. Next, on each computer, open the “Network” submenu and select “Establish a connection via LPT / USB port”.
Now you need to choose which laptop will act as a “Server”, and which one will act as a “Client” (a kind of flash drive).
But this method is not ideal, there are also disadvantages here:
- – the computer that will receive the file may be unavailable until the transfer is complete;
- – errors may occur when transferring between different-bit operating systems (between 64-bit and 32-bit or vice versa);
- – errors when transferring files between OS with different languages.
Of all the above methods, the best option for creating a laptop-to-laptop LAN is the wireless option. It is more mobile as it does not require any wires and does not significantly affect the performance of laptops. In addition, when connecting a laptop to a laptop via WI-FI, you can connect an unlimited number of devices with a sufficiently high data transfer rate.