Diagnostics of the video card. Notebook
If fans of powerful games use a laptop, they should pay attention to keeping the graphics card in top condition. First of all, the diagnostics of the laptop video card is important, and you need to monitor timely cleaning, because the video card can overheat from pollution and fail at any time. Very often the question arises: is it possible to replace the video card on a laptop?
If a discrete laptop video card breaks down, then you can try to repair it yourself before taking it for repair. The only thing to try is to warm up the video card. But, as mentioned above, even if the heating is of high quality, in any case, sooner or later, the video adapter will fail. To extend the performance a little, you should put a reliable cooling, which will firmly fix the chip. This option is problematic because finding proper cooling is not easy. The best solution would be to replace the video chip on the laptop with a new one.
A discrete adapter in a laptop allows you to replace a similar one and, if necessary, replace a video card with a more powerful one.
Diagnostics of the video card. Purchase
When purchasing a video card, especially if it is supported, first of all, you need to check its condition. It’s easy to stumble upon a breakdown, because when the graphics adapter burns out, most often it warms up and comes back to life for a while. There are certain methods to check the performance of the video adapter. First, you should inspect the map itself:
- Are the capacitors swollen? A common phenomenon that appears through problems in the wiring, due to a sudden turn off of the light in the apartment or high surges of energy. If the video card is completely closed, then it will be difficult to see the swelling. In this case, you need to take it to the service center.
- The presence of scratches. Even if they are insignificant in appearance, they could touch an important component, and you need to carry the card for verification
- Any break, crack. Then the repair of such video cards can in some cases cost much more than buying a new one.
If such damage is not found, then it is worth checking the condition, so to speak “from the inside”. It is necessary to carry out such diagnostics of a video card through specialized programs.
Diagnostics of the video card, how to check its performance?
Diagnostics of the video card allows you to get the most out of your computer more quickly. It is responsible for processing the graphic image and displaying the image on the monitor screen. When buying a video adapter, as a preventive measure and at the first signs of malfunction, you should check its condition and quality. You can make sure that everything is working well or you can fix problems in time with a visual inspection or check with a special program. What if the monitor won’t turn on? Is the breakdown of the video card related to the fact that the computer does not work? How exactly to understand if everything is so with an important computer part, and what to do if the video card does not work? We will cover these issues in this article.
Diagnostics of the video card. The computer does not see her
Frequently asked question: why the computer does not see the video card?
- Most often this is a wrong installation. Check if it is correctly and fully installed
- Due to the motherboard itself. it could break or the video card connector was damaged
- The computer does not see the video card due to a malfunction. External reasons, as mentioned above, you can try to determine on your own, but in any case, you should send it for repair
- The video card does not start due to incompatibility of hardware or OS, most often this happens after purchase
- Lack of drivers. This problem can be solved by checking their presence through the device manager. If this is really the problem, the drivers need to be downloaded and installed.
Diagnostics of the video card. Programs
The “AtiTool” program will also help to check the full performance of the video card:
- It must be downloaded, installed and run
- Nothing changes in the parameters, everything is already configured
- You need to press the “Show 3D view” button and leave the computer for 15 minutes (a specific cube should appear)
- It remains to monitor the temperature of the graphics core. If less than 65 degrees Celsius, then the graphics core is in good condition, if more than 85. be sure to check for faults
- It is required to trace the yellow dots. If there are more than 10 of them, then this is a signal of overheating or a weak power supply unit
- After that, you should proceed to inspect the kernel if there is a correctness control. Clicking on the “Scan For Artifacts” button will start the scan, which takes 15 minutes. If after it is written “No errors for sec”. this means that there are no errors
Diagnostics of the video card. The difference between a computer and a laptop
In fact, the difference between PC and laptop video adapters is very big. Let’s take a look at the main differences:
- The laptop’s integrated graphics card is an integrated part of the motherboard. Replacing such a video card in a laptop is impossible. However, there are laptops with discrete video adapters that need to be replaced. The advantage of the PC is the expanded possibilities of increasing the performance of the card, as well as its replacement
- The difference is in the dimensions of the board itself and the chip. they are smaller in a laptop than in a computer.
- There is also a difference in the types of cooling. The heat package inside the laptop cannot be improved, unlike the large system unit
- Laptop video cards are not overclocked, some manufacturers even prohibit overclocking of their devices
- The speed of work. Real gamers prefer the computer, because there is much more performance. A laptop with specially adapted gaming graphics cards is no match for a stationary system based on the XFX video adapter
Identifying the active video card in the case of a laptop
As mentioned above, computers with several modules are already commonplace. However, there are various models. In addition to the classic options that are installed inside the case, there are also external graphics adapters, which are an independent component.
Taking the whole situation, most often the system works in such a way that video cards are automatically selected depending on what loads the computer is experiencing. For example, if you are working with documents, the built-in module is sufficient.
At the moment when interaction with modern games and demanding programs begins, the system automatically starts using a discrete module so that the power is fully enough.
The following will provide ways on how to determine the active video card on a laptop.
How to identify the active graphics card on a laptop
Today, there are laptops and PCs that have not one, but two or more video cards in their system. It is important to be able to identify the active among them at the moment. Below I will tell you about how to understand which video card works on a laptop using the available and simple methods.
DirectX Diagnostic Tool
In the most recent versions of the Windows operating system, there is a special built-in DirectX utility, which is an effective tool for implementing diagnostics. We are talking about areas such as graphics and sound.
With DirectX, you can easily find out which graphics adapter is active. To get information, follow the instructions:
- Open the desktop and hold down the “WinR” key combination.
- Enter the command “dxdiag” in the window that appears, and then click on “OK”.
- The corresponding settings will appear in front of you. You will need to select the “Display” tab.
- Find the “Device” section of the content. Information for the module that is currently active will be displayed there.
This method is also based on the use of tools built into the Windows operating system. To achieve the desired result, you need:
- As in the previous case, use the “WinR” combination to bring up the “Run” window. In the line enter the command “msinfo32”. After that click on “OK”.
- In front of you you will see the “System Information” window, all information will be collected here. On the left side select “Components”.
- From the list that appears, first click on “Multimedia”, and then select “Display”.
Note! After completing all the actions, wait a little, the system needs to collect all the relevant information.
To get the most information directly about the graphics card, you need to use the GPU-Z utility. This is specialized software for displaying detailed information about your graphics cards. Apart from this, there are some options for making settings.
To find out which of the modules is currently running, you need:
- Install the program and run it on the PC.
- At the top of the window, select the item “Video card”.
- At the very bottom, find a line with a drop-down menu, which is signed with the name of a functioning device.
As you can see, getting the data is easy. In the event that everything works without failures, you can easily open information about another module, which is also installed in the system.
Here, as in the previous case, you do not need to download anything, since you are working with the Windows tool. It is very informative, because it contains information about running processes, startup, services. over, the dispatcher monitors the working devices, which in this case is just right.
To get the information you need, follow these simple instructions:
- Hold down the “CtrlShiftEsc” key combination in order to open the Task Manager in front of you.
- Among all the tabs, select the one labeled “Performance”.
- There is a menu on the left side, find the items where there is a signature “GPU”.
In principle, this completes the search for information, since you can see everything you need. In addition to displaying the currently working video adapters, you can also see how heavily each of them is loaded. Here you can clearly see how the work is distributed between the modules during certain operations.
This is the third consecutive way that uses the built-in tools of the Windows operating system. We are talking about the “Device Manager”, where you can view information for all elements connected to the computer.
Directly to the instructions on how to use the dispatcher to find out everything regarding the graphics adapter:
- Right-click on the “Start” button, which is located in the lower left corner.
- Among all the options presented, select “Device Manager”.
- A window will open in front of you, which will contain a lot of different information. Find the inscription “Video adapters” and click on it.
- You will be able to see a list of all those modules that are generally present in the system. At the same time, at the moment it is impossible to find out which of them works.
Note! You have the additional option to disable this or that adapter. Right-click on it and select the “Disable device” option. It should be noted that in order to successfully implement the task, you need administrator rights.
How to determine which video card is currently running
Every active computer user strives to maximize the performance of his device, especially in demanding applications and games, since the speed and comfort of work depends on this.
Today, almost every modern PC or laptop is equipped with two graphics cards:
- Embedded. Embedded in the processor or motherboard. The weakest in terms of performance, so it consumes less power, which is especially noticeable on laptops.
- External. connected separately. Differs in high performance and consumes significantly more energy.
Many users have a question, how do you know which video card is currently working, built-in or discrete? This is what we will talk about in this article.
An excellent utility that will help us understand which video card is currently running. I can’t help but notice a number of its advantages: free, ease of use and lightness.
- All you need is to download the utility and click on the “NvOptimusTesTViewer” icon to launch it.
- Then a small window will open, in which you need to check the option “Show applications rendered by DGPU”.
- The bottom window will display the entire list of running applications via a discrete video card.
Thus, we can check which video card is used during the game or when starting graphics editors. For owners of AMD Radeon cards, I suggest using one of the following methods, which we will talk about below.
Configuring video card switching
Usually, if there are two graphics cards installed on a PC or laptop, they should switch automatically, depending on the load. For example, when starting programs that load the system, the discrete is automatically activated, and during normal tasks (listening to music, working with text editors), the internal.
But there are times when switching in automatic mode does not work. It is then that you need to configure the switching between adapters yourself. How to do this, I already wrote here.
Another great free utility, first of all, it is designed to view the characteristics of the board: memory size, memory type, memory and core frequency, active pci express interface, etc. But you can also use it to see which video card is running at the moment.
- After installation, run the utility and go to the “Sensors” tab.
- At the very bottom of the window, select the video card we are interested in.
- We launch any program or game, look at the “GPU Load” indicator, if the utility we launched runs on the video card we have chosen, in this case from a discrete one, this indicator should increase.
Disabling the built-in card
If you need only the external card to work in all cases, then you need to disable the built-in one. There are several ways to do this.
So, we have sorted out 4 ways to monitor the board, and now you yourself can find out for what tasks this or that card is used.
Before proceeding with the repair, you need to check which video card is running on the laptop. To do this, on the desktop or in the “Start” menu, you should find the shortcut “My Computer”. You need to right-click on it and select the “Device Manager” option.
After that, you need to find the “Video adapters” tab and click on it. The graphics adapter that is installed on the laptop will be displayed. It will be visible only if the drivers are installed.
Detailed information about the video card will be provided by the DxDiag utility. There are two ways to find it:
- Go to the “Start” menu and enter the name of the program in the search bar.
- Activate the WinR key combination, and repeat the first step.
This will open a window with all the information regarding the DirectX software. You need to select the “Display” tab, and all the information about the graphics chip will be displayed there. This is the easiest way to check the graphics card on a laptop.
Another option. this is to use the GPU-Z program, which shows all the characteristics of the video card.
The AIDA64 program can also help identify the graphics adapter. She, like the device manager, is able to display temperature readings, parameters and the general state of all equipment that is connected to the motherboard.
How to check a video card on a laptop. Breakage Symptoms and Testing Options.
Modern laptops always have two video cards. one is built-in and the other is called discrete. Its parameters are much higher than the characteristics of the integrated graphics processor, although you can completely do without it in the event of a breakdown, but how to find out its characteristics? Next, we will consider options for how to check the video card on a laptop.
If any graphical malfunction is found, it is worth immediately handing over the laptop to a computer service, where a specialist can determine the nature of the breakdown and fix it.
Before checking a video card on a laptop, you need to identify external problems. Since the graphics adapter transmits the image to the monitor, external breakdowns can be detected on the screen. There will be stripes or squares on it, which are called artifacts. Their presence indicates damage to the graphics chip of the video card.
Occasionally, you may notice screen flickering when launching time-consuming applications or computer games. This may mean that the video card cannot cope with the load and requires immediate diagnosis in the workshop.
If the question arises of how to check a video card on a laptop, it means that eight short beeps were heard when the laptop was started: this is how the BIOS reacts to the inoperability of the graphics adapter.
To use this utility, you need to download and install it. During installation, you must confirm the user agreement and complete the process. After the program window opens, you need to select “Settings” and disable the built-in video card in them, that is, the program will not test it.
To start testing, press the Burn-in Test button. Before starting, the program will warn you that during testing, the video card will undergo strong heating. This is the most popular way to check the graphics card on a laptop.
When the test starts, a round “donut” will appear on the screen, which resembles the iris of the eye. In this case, the video card will be very hot, so it is not recommended to check it for more than twenty minutes. Average operating temperature of the graphics chip in the program. 75 to 95 degrees Celsius.
With adequate operation of the video card, the program will equalize the temperature parameters in two to three minutes. If the graphics adapter is defective, the temperature will continue to rise. This test cannot be compared to even the most powerful game. This is one of the most reliable ways to check the performance of a video card on a laptop.
The ATI Tool utility will help to check if the video card is working on the laptop. This program can test video cards from any manufacturer. When you start the utility, a window will open in which there are sliders that display the parameters of the video card.
You need to select the button called Show 3D. After that, a window with a fuzzy cube will appear. The temperature that is considered optimal when carrying out the test in this program. 85 degrees Celsius.
In the event of a malfunction, the temperature will continue to rise and many yellow dots will appear on the cube. Test time should not exceed ten minutes.
Another free assistant for testing a video card. this is OSST. Unlike most programs, it does not require installation on a computer: you just need to unpack it from the archive and use it.
After starting it, you can select the test parameters, which include the test time. To start the test, press the green button. A red iridescent circle will appear on the screen.
The presence of artifacts during testing, an increase in the standard temperature or its instability will help to detect video adapter problems.
How to check the video card on a laptop
A number of additional tests can be performed to validate the discrete GPU. They will display the quality of the component under loads of varying degrees and its real functionality.
Before moving on to software checks, it is worth inspecting the video card visually. To do this, you need to remove the back cover of the laptop (first turn off and disconnect from the power supply).
Scratches, chips, flux drips negatively affect the operation of the device. If there are problems with the image (streaks, streaks and other artifacts), this may also indicate its malfunction.
With the help of special programs (3DMark, AIDA64), you can check the temperature of the video card, its 3D characteristics, memory frequencies, fan speed and other important specifications. In the event of visible problems, the laptop can always be taken to the service center, where they will conduct a comprehensive and high-quality diagnosis of problems.
Signs of poor graphics card performance
The main manufacturers of graphics cards for PCs and laptops are MSI, Gigabyte and ASUS. Regardless of the high quality of the products, a video card of any brand may eventually become unusable due to constant overloads, insufficient cooling, or, at least, a factory defect. Typical signs of poor video card performance are:
- Image on the monitor. Noises, horizontal or vertical lines, and screen twitching are the first signs that your GPU is not working properly.
- Sounds. When turning on the computer or laptop, characteristic beeps (beeping) may occur. So the video card warns that it will soon stop working. Also, during the operation of the PC, various sound defects may occur (sound looping, for example).
- Other signs. Various errors and problems in the operation of the computer can be associated with any component, however, the video device works constantly from turning on to turning off the PC. Therefore, the probability of its breakdown is several times higher. Even if the screen has a high-quality picture, it is worth conducting diagnostic testing.
How to test a video card
The classic way to test a video device on a computer is to conduct stress tests. They allow you to accurately assess its performance. This is especially true if you have purchased a new video card and are checking your old one for comparison. You can also test it in another way. Install and play a couple of hours of modern games (The Witcher 3, Battlefield 4, WOT, etc.). If you managed to achieve comfortable graphics settings and high FPS, while the picture does not twitch or lag, then there is reason to believe that everything is in order with the video card.
Programs and benchmarks create a certain graphic load from minimum to maximum in 20-30 minutes, determine the capabilities of the graphics processor and all its components. During the stress test, in the first minutes, it starts to work at the limit of its capabilities, the temperature rises and the fan speed increases.
With a passive cooling system (radiator without a cooler), the load creates critical conditions for operation. For example, the temperature can rise to 95-100 degrees, which is the maximum value for many video cards. After downloading and installing the appropriate program, you can see:
- the exact version of your video card;
- average and maximum GPU temperature;
- cooler rotation speed;
- performance on 2D, 3D parameters;
- Direct X performance and other data.
Today, you can also check the performance of a video card online using specialized services from the manufacturers of this equipment. This opportunity is provided by Nvidia (for the GeForce line) and AMD (Radeon). There are third-party services, but their use should be approached with extreme caution.
Visual inspection for integrity
In some cases, the video card may be faulty due to physical defects. Therefore, before conducting software tests, carefully inspect it, paying particular attention to:
- Capacitor condition. They perform the function of smoothing the electrical voltage passing through them and ensure the smooth operation of the video device. Due to frequent voltage surges, capacitors can become unusable and swell, which inevitably leads to disruptions in the operation of the device. They are located on the board itself, so visual inspection is not difficult. Also, capacitors are solid-state and completely closed. In the service center, their performance is checked using a multimeter.
- Cracks and scratches. Damage to the integrity of the graphics card can lead to the failure of their internal modules, so it is important to check the discrete video card on a laptop or PC at a service center. A crack on the case, for example, can provoke a malfunction of the cooling system, and without it, a video card can burn out very quickly. Problems are also possible due to accumulated dust on the fans that regulate the operating temperature.
Troubleshooting at the physical layer is usually quite expensive. An alternative would be to purchase a quality tested used video device with a guarantee.
How to check the performance of a video card on a PC and laptop
The need to check the video card on a computer or laptop may appear in such cases:
In order not to contact the service center, you can use special programs (stress tests) that allow you to quickly and with the highest degree of accuracy detect all malfunctions and assess the state of the GPU. Careful inspection also reveals damage caused, for example, by non-compliance with the rules of transportation.
Selection of programs for testing
Today, you can test a video card with various utilities, for example, FurMark, ATITool, OCCT, 3DMark, AIDA64, etc. AIDA64 is considered free and the easiest to use. In addition to the qualitative stress test, this program is used as a comprehensive solution for system improvement, physical observation and program analysis at all levels.
In the list of functions, select GPGPU Test. After that, the performance and maximum capabilities of the video card will be assessed by a number of criteria. Then you can run the stress test.
“For most mid-range PCs and notebooks, a 10-minute stress test is sufficient. An artificial load forces the video card to work at its limit, and if there are problems in its operation, a prolonged test can lead to the final breakdown of the equipment. “.
FurMark is another free program for effective stress testing. With its help, you can test gaming video cards (with overclocking) and simply with the expected high performance. It is recommended to disable Xtreme burn-in before starting, as this function creates an overload. You should also close all open programs and applications to get the most accurate result. In the event of a malfunction, the utility will notify about possible causes:
- incorrect setting;
- unstable / insufficient power supply;
- problems in the operation of the cooling system.
Results of software testing
The health of the video card is assessed based on the results of the stress test. We can conclude that it is in order if during the checks no problems were revealed (bugs, freezes, PC reboots) and, in general, the graphical load test was passed with a smooth picture (without blinking and distortion). Such a video device does not need to be additionally checked at the service center.
Temperature is also an indicator of the normal performance of a video card. Average indicators should fluctuate at the level of 60-70 degrees with a periodic increase to 80-85. If during testing most of the time the temperature of the equipment exceeded 80 degrees, then most likely it has low performance and problems with cooling or thermal paste (relevant for laptops).
Checking with standard Windows tools
If you find any obvious problems during a stress test or a simple test described in method 2, it is recommended to view the state of the video card through the standard Windows utility:
- Call the “Run” line using the WinR keyboard shortcut. Enter the command there: dxdiag
To apply it, press Enter or “Ok”.
If in the previous stages no problems were identified in working with the video card, then you can perform in-depth testing. It is done more so that you can correctly calculate the potential of your video card when using heavy programs and / or when overclocking.
To conduct stress tests, you need to use specialized software, for example, FurMark:
- Open the program. In its interface, you can see the current temperature of your video card and a brief summary of the characteristics.
- Below you can set the settings for testing. For example, there you can set the screen resolution manually or choose a ready-made option from the presets provided.
- After making the necessary settings or leaving them by default, click on the button “GPU stress test”.
Windows 10. How to Check Which Graphics Card You Have
A window will appear with a warning that a heavy load will be given to the video adapter, which will lead to its overheating. Click on “GO!” To start testing.
The quality of the animation of the ring should be judged on the quality of the video card itself. If it moves in jerks, certain parts of it are not worked out, then most likely there are some problems in the operation of the video card. Normal test duration without overheating and serious freezing varies within 10-20 minutes.
Checking characteristics in specialized software
With the help of specialized programs, you can view the characteristics of a video card, as well as perform primitive tests for its performance. Let’s consider interaction with a video card using the AIDA64 program as an example. It has a relatively clear interface with Russian language support.
First you need to find out the characteristics of the video card:
- Run the program and open the “Display” branch that is located on the left side of the window.
- There open the item “GPU”.
- The main part of the window will provide basic information regarding your video card.
As an example, you can run a small test for the performance and health of a video card called the “GPGU Test”:
- In the upper part of the program window, open the context menu of the “Service” item.
- There select the option “Test GPGPU”.
How to find out if a video card is working on a laptop
A video card is one of the most important components of a computer, which determines its performance in games and professional programs that are somehow related to graphics processing. Even for the correct display of video on sites, you need at least some more or less modern graphics adapter.
The need to check the performance of the video card arises in cases where the quality of the adapter is in question or provided that you have previously replaced it. Verification is necessary not only to detect any defects, but to assess performance capabilities.
If you have recently begun to notice a significant drop in the performance of the video card and the fact that it has become frequently and very hot, then it is recommended first of all to conduct a visual inspection for damage or dirt. It is recommended to resort to visual inspection in the following cases:
- Bugs began to appear in computer games and specialized graphics programs and / or they stopped running altogether. Also in them, productivity could simply seriously fall. This rule is applicable in cases where previously this or that program / game was launched and worked flawlessly;
- When watching a video in a player on a computer or in a browser, it starts to slow down or other problems appear with its playback;
- Frequent mistakes appear. Sometimes or often you may see the Blue Screen of Death;
- Various artifacts appear on the screen. For example, color bars, pixels, dark areas or very bright areas;
- The quality of graphics drops noticeably and the computer takes a long time to process even simple operations;
- Nothing is displayed on the screen or a porridge of multi-colored pixels is displayed.
These problems are not always associated with the video adapter. Often they can go along with it, for example, in case of a malfunction of the connectors, the screen itself, outdated drivers, etc. In any case, it is recommended to check the video card for external damage.
In the case of a laptop, this will require disassembling the case, which can be done according to the following instructions:
- Unplug the laptop from power. Additionally, remove the battery from its housing.
- Remove the back cover. In most cases, the design allows you to remove it by unscrewing the bolts and / or removing the latches. However, there are those models where it will not be possible to remove the cover without the intervention of specialists. Fortunately, such models are very rare.
- Examine the “insides” of the laptop for any physical defects such as scratches, bumps, etc. The video chip in laptops can have a different appearance, but most often it can be identified by the manufacturer’s markings, for example, AMD or NVIDIA.
- If during the inspection a lot of dust and debris was found inside the case, then cleaning is recommended. Perhaps it was because of the dust that all the problems were.
The verification process itself can be conditionally divided into several types:
- Visual inspection;
- Checking the characteristics of the video card in special programs and / or tools;
- Conducting a stress test in special programs;
- Health check using standard Windows tools.
Software verification involves examining the current characteristics and conducting stress tests, during which the performance indicators of the video card will be measured under conditions of different loads on it. After analyzing the data obtained, you can determine how well the video card works.
Testing is recommended only when you have a reason to do so. For example, before installing some heavy game / program that requires the resources of the computer’s graphics core. It is not recommended to run stress-testing a video card too often, as this may negatively affect its performance in the future.
On some sites, including the official resources of video card manufacturers, you can find an offer to check your device online. Unfortunately, you should not expect an adequate check, since at best they will ask you for the current model of the video card and compare it with the ability to launch and the correctness of some games. However, the video card is used not only in games, plus the fact that you know if you can go Fifa or not will not help in detecting problems with the device.
Based on this, it is best to use proven utilities for troubleshooting and testing video cards. Online services are now unable to offer an adequate solution.
How to find out the model of the integrated video card
Most laptops, if not designed for gaming, have integrated graphics. that is, built into the processor. In this case, the “Device Manager” will not indicate specific specifications of the model, but only its name. for example, Intel HD Graphics.
To find out the detailed characteristics of an integrated video card, you need to find out which processor the laptop is running on. It is easiest to see it in the “Start” menu by right-clicking on the “Computer” section and opening “Properties”.
You can also find the processor name through Device Manager by going to Control Panel. System and Security. System as described above. After that, go to Google for the CPU model and find out all the parameters of the graphics chip that is installed in it.
How to see which video card on a Windows laptop
You can check which video card is running on a laptop without extraneous programs and disassembling the device. just look at the Windows settings. The model name of the graphics card is indicated in the “Device Manager”, display settings and in the manufacturer’s proprietary utility.
Device Manager and System Information
The manager works in both old and new versions of Windows. all screenshots in the article are taken in Windows 7.
The “Device Manager” menu is hidden under the address “Control Panel”. “System”. “Device Manager”. It’s easier to enter the name of the utility in the search bar in Start and select the first option from the list of found ones. The manager lists all the components of your laptop; the name of the video card is specified in the “Video adapters” tab.
If there is no video card in the list at all, but “Unknown device” is indicated, take a look at this article. In the section “Looking for Device ID” we described in detail how to solve the problem.
If you find it easier to use the Command Prompt rather than the Start Menu, open it with the [Windows] [R] keyboard shortcut and type msinfo32. In the section “Components”. “Display”. “Name” the name of the video card will be indicated.
Exit to your desktop and right-click. Select “Screen Resolution”. In the “Additional parameters” tab, go to the “Adapter” section. the specifications of the video card installed on the laptop will be indicated there.
How to find out which video card is on a laptop
Our instructions will help you determine which video card is on your laptop.
What video card on a MacBook
If you are using an Apple laptop, you can find its specifications on the manufacturer’s official website under the Mac section. Another option is to use the capabilities of the system: open the menu “About This Mac”. “System Information”. Graphics card specifications will be listed under Hardware. Graphics / Monitor.
Information about the video card can be easily viewed in the manufacturer’s proprietary program. The Nvidia Control Panel can be opened from the desktop by right-clicking and navigating to the section of the same name. The graphics card model will be listed under “System Information”. “Components”.
The same is the case with the utility from AMD: from the desktop, go to AMD Radeon Settings and look in the “Overview” and “Hardware” tabs.
How to find out which video card is on a laptop through third-party programs
If you have any system optimization or analysis software installed on your laptop, you can use it to determine the video card.
In CCleaner, the name of the video card is indicated in the header of the program window.
In the CPU-Z application, which can be downloaded here, the graphics card model can be found in the “Video card” section.
In TechPowerUp GPU-Z, this information is located under the Graphics Card tab.
To find the model of a video card in AIDA64, you need to go to the “Computer”. “Summary Information”. “Display”. “3D Accelerator”.
DirectX Diagnostic Tool
Modern versions of Windows have a built-in DirectX diagnostic tool designed to work with graphics and sound on the system. To find out the active graphics adapter in this application, you need to follow these steps:
- Press the Win R key combination to launch the Run window. Enter the dxdiag command in its line and click “OK”.
In the window that opens, go to the “Screen” tab. Here, in the “Device” section, you can see detailed information about the active device.
The next step is another pre-installed Windows component that allows users to find out detailed information regarding connected devices. The same principle can be used to run it as for the DirectX tool:
- Start the “Run” snap-in with the Win R key combination. Enter the command msinfo32 and click “OK”.
- The System Information window opens. On the left side, open the drop-down section “Components”.
In the list that opens, select “Multimedia”. “Display”. Within a few seconds, the application will collect data and display detailed information about the working video cards.
To resolve this issue, you can also turn to the built-in Windows “Device Manager”, which allows you to track all the hardware visible and used by the operating system for various tasks.
- Right click on the Start menu at the bottom left of your computer screen and select Device Manager.
A list of connected video cards will open, which displays both working devices and connected ones, but not working. If necessary, you can disable any graphics adapter by right-clicking on it and selecting “Disable device”, but this requires administrator rights.
Determining the active video card on a laptop
GPU-Z is another handy application that allows advanced users to monitor the detailed characteristics of graphics devices and the status of their sensors, as well as perform additional configuration of the video card. To check a working device, you need to do the following:
- Download and run GPU-Z.
- At the top of the window, go to the “Video Card” tab.
- Below, in the area with detailed characteristics of the adapter, find the drop-down menu with the name of the device.
If everything works correctly, you can open the characteristics of another video card connected to the computer.
The latter method involves the use of the Task Manager, which serves a variety of purposes. Here you can configure processes, startup, various services, as well as track information on working devices. The algorithm looks like this:
- Hold down the Ctrl Shift ESC keys at the same time to open the “Task Manager”.
- In the window that appears, go to the “Performance” tab.
- In the left menu of the section that opens, find items with the name “GPU”.
The image above shows the Task Manager for Windows 10. Windows 7 and earlier have a slightly different interface, but the algorithm is the same.
Here you can not only find out the currently working video cards, but also track the workload level of each of them. This clearly shows the principle that the system uses two adapters at the same time for different tasks.
AIDA64 is an extensive computer diagnostic application that provides the user with a wealth of information regarding connected devices, etc. With its help, you can find out not only the currently working video card, but also other details of the graphics module. Stick to the following algorithm:
Go to the category “Summary information”.
Wait a few seconds while the program collects information about the system, and scroll down the menu that opens to find the “Display” category. Opposite the item “Video adapter” you will see the name of the device that is currently working for graphic display on the monitor. As mentioned earlier, when two or more devices are connected, the system uses both adapters at once to optimize performance. You can familiarize yourself with this principle in more detail in the following ways.
Determining the active video card on a laptop
In most cases, the system independently switches between video cards as needed. For example, if a user launches an application with complex 3D graphics, the OS uses a discrete device so that it has enough power to implement the tasks of the program or video game. You can determine which adapter is currently running on your computer using third-party programs and built-in Windows capabilities.