Transferring the installed operating system
If the user wants to replace the hard drive with the transfer of the system, that is, so that he does NOT have to install a new Windows and configure it, you can use the Windows cloning function. Two utilities are suitable for THESE purposes. Mini Tool Partition Wizard and AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition. Both programs allow you to replace memory, rather than reinstalling the system.
- The new drive should be placed in a box that will allow you to connect it via the USB connector, like an external drive.
- In the main window of the application, you should find the item “resizing”. You should first indicate that you need to work with the second hard disk (new).
- On the new memory, you need to choose the amount of free space that will become Windows storage space. DO NOT get carried away too much, and it is best to see how much the system is currently taking up space and allocate the same amount for it with a margin of 30-40 GB for the updated and software installation.
- After choosing a place for the new section, a scheduled task will appear in the scrap, which must be activated with the “apply” button. A window will open with the parameters set by the user, click “go” and the “yes” button in a new window.
- After the end of the procedure, go back to the start window of the application and click “OS transfer.”. Now install the old drive as the source.
- The “Clone Wizard” window will appear in which you need to name “next” and specify where to save the system clone. In the next window, the user just needs to click “next”, since the system offers to delete all data from the old disk and create partitions on it.
- In the next window, the utility will ask which partition to write Windows to, indicating the one that was created previously, and again click on. Another window appears with English captions and an “end” button. Clicked on it, the system transfer will begin. When the procedure is over, you can start replacing the disks.
Replacing the hard drive on a laptop
Unfortunately, the hard drive in a laptop deteriorates over time. This can happen due to physical damage, or due to the fact that its resource has been depleted. Sometimes a replacement is necessary if the old drive is slow and you just need to upgrade the system. How to change the hard drive on a laptop with or without saving the system is described in the text below.
How to replace
After buying new memory, users are faced with the problem of how to remove the old disk and replace it. At first glance, this seems like a difficult task, but in fact, inserting a hard drive into a laptop is one of the simplest tasks that does not require any knowledge. All you need is a Phillips screwdriver. The algorithm of actions is as follows.
- The laptop must be unplugged and the battery removed.
- I turned the gadget upside down, you need to carefully examine the case. Most manufacturers provide an option to replace the drive, so it makes access to it quite easy. The user needs to find a small cover at the bottom. In devices from Asus, it is wide for the entire length of the device, in equipment from Acer, it is rather small and resembles a small hatch. In any case, the user is NOT required to remove the entire bottom panel to remove the hard drive. The cover, under which the memory is hidden, is usually attached to 3-4 small bolts, they must be unscrewed. Then the cover can be removed very easily. It is enough to pick it up with a sharp object.
- Right under the cover is the memory. To get it, you need to Unscrew the bolts that hold it. In most situations, there are two of them, but in the case of HP laptops, the number can reach 4 pieces. It is important to carefully inspect the drive so as not to miss the bolts.
- When the bolts are removed, it remains to remove the hard drive. In order to do this, you need to pull it to the side opposite to the one where it is connected to the motherboard. This can be seen from the plastic connection. Usually, for convenience, a plastic tab is provided, which will help to pull out the drive. You need to pull it. No excessive effort is needed here, the memory will easily come out of the mounting slots.
- In place of the old drive, you need to put new memory. This is done in the reverse order. the disc is placed in the compartment and pushed into place. Now you need to tighten it with bolts and screw the cover into place.
After installing a new disk, you can immediately start working if the system was cloned, or install a new Windows. The procedure is familiar to many, so it makes no sense to dwell on it separately.
When replacement is needed
Many users believe that it is necessary to change the hard drive on a laptop at a time when the old one is out of order. This has its own logic, but obviously, after waiting for the drive to break down, the user is likely to lose the data that is stored on it. Of course, service centers can extract them, but this is not possible in 100% of cases, and it is not a fact that all information can be obtained from a broken HDD. In order not to face such an unpleasant situation, you should catch the moment when the still working hard disk should be changed.
- Extraneous sounds are heard. the drive clicks, crackles or runs louder than before.
- Data began to disappear.
- Some folders and files stopped opening.
- The system periodically reports that the HDD needs to be formatted.
- The drive gets very hot during operation.
- The system spontaneously reboots, while reinstalling the OS does not fix the problem.
- When turned on, the system says that the internal memory of Tenders.
Any of THESE signs indicates that the time has come to replace the hard drive on the laptop, and this must be done as soon as possible.
Selecting a new memory
Replacing a drive is a good reason to simultaneously upgrade your system. When choosing a new hard drive, you should decide on its type:
The first variant of HDD is most likely analogous to old memory. Pros. low price and large volume, cons. shorter service life and speed of work.
SSDs are a new type of drives that have no moving parts, which increases their lifespan. This memory is faster than a conventional magnetic storage device and consumes less power. Cons. less memory, high price.
SSHD is an intermediate option, which has an average price, good Windows boot speed, but at the same time, the volume can be quite high, unlike SSD solid-state memory. Such drives are increasingly found in modern laptops. Changing a regular HDD to SSHD will also be a good solution, which will increase the speed of the gadget and save a large amount of information.
When replacing, you should find out the connection interface. SATA 2 or SATA 3 (the second option is faster), as well as the thickness of the old memory. The rest of the parameters. rotation speed, cache size and memory size of the user selects, based on personal preferences and financial capabilities.
How to start the disk “Windows” on laptop?
To complete this action, you must perform the following steps:
- Insert the boot disk into the drive.
- Restarts the device and enter the BIOS. To do this, when loading the device, press the key “Del” (in the event that the user does NOT know which button is responsible for starting the BIOS on his device, it is necessary to look at the bottom of the screen when starting the equipment, as a rule, the required key is indicated opposite the inscription “to enter setup “).
- Next, the user enters the BIOS menu. To perform actions in this window, you must use the laptop keyboard.
- Then choose “Advanced BIOS Features”.
- In the window that appears, select launch using CD-ROM.
- Then, saving the settings by pressing the F10 key.
- Next, the laptop will start to reboot, and a window will appear with the inscription “Press any key to boot from cd or dvd”, press any key.
- In the installation window that appears, click “proceed” and carry out the installation procedure “Windows”.
Launch the disk on a laptop
So, before starting the disc on a laptop, you should find out if the drive reads this format. To do this, look at the marked value on the drive: if the required format is in the list, it means that it will not be read by the laptop hardware. To start the disc on a laptop, you must follow the steps below:
- Click on the Eject button of the drive to open it.
- We fix the disc in the spindle for fixing. It is important to insert the disc in the correct direction, otherwise it will not be readable. If there is an image on the disk, then it cannot be installed image down. In the event that it is double-sided, then closer to the hole of the disc they write its side (immediately taking into account that the lower side will be read).
- We close the tray, while on some models it is necessary to spin the disc first.
- We are waiting for the disk to be found by the laptop.
Now the user knows how to start the disk on the laptop. But in the event that the disc is NOT readable and the user has done everything correctly, this may be a sign of a device malfunction or damage to the disc surface. To check one of the problems, we start another disk in the drive: if it is readable, then the problem is in the disk, if not, then. In the equipment, in this case, you should contact the master.
Instructions on how to start a disk on a laptop
In the modern world of the Internet, where you can watch movies and listen to music online, as well as download any program you need from the Web, the need for disks is gradually disappearing. But at the same time in users from time to time the question arises of how to start a disk on a laptop. Before answering this question, it is worth noting that, in addition to DVD and CD-ROM disks, there are boot disks “Windows” and laptop hard drive.
How to start a hard drive on a laptop?
If the laptop stopped seeing the hard drive, then most often it’s all about the drivers. To update the driver, use the following instructions:
- Open the device manager: to perform this action, in the search bar in the menu “start” we write “device Manager”.
- In the window that appears, select disk devices.
- Right-click on the equipment we need.
- We choose “update drivers”.
- In the window that appears, click on the option in which the system itself will find the necessary driver and install.
Practice shows that there can be no serious problems with starting disks on a laptop. This article not only answers the question of how to start a disk on a laptop, but also how to start “Windows” and hard drive.
Laptop hard disk
If you see two or more covers on the bottom of the laptop, then check which one is the hard drive under. Often the hard drive is mounted inside a laptop in a tin case or frame. In order to release it from the case, you will have to Unscrew one or two screws. With their help, this case was fixed in the case of your laptop. After this step, you must disconnect the hard drive from the SATA connector. To do this, you just need to gently pull it slightly to the side. Well, then you can safely remove the disc. Try to perform all actions carefully, DO NOT use too much force, as you can break or damage laptop parts. If something does not climb somewhere, then apparently this one should NOT be done from there. Each block has its own connector. As the saying goes “Protection from fools “
When you remove the hard drive case, insert a new hard drive into the case. To do this, also unscrew the screws on the sides of the case, then insert a new disc. Do not forget to secure its threads with the same screws.
When the new drive is installed in the case, also connect it to the laptop, securing it inside the case. After all THESE actions, you can close the lid.
Each laptop model has its own characteristics during assembly and disassembly. Therefore, if you have any difficulties with disassembly, look on the Internet for a detailed diagram of a laptop of this model or series. I highly recommend Youtube as it is clearer there, you should just repeat.
Removing the hard drive
After the battery has been removed, you must unscrew the cover at the base of the laptop. A Phillips screwdriver is used for this. The screws holding the cover must be loosened. After that, the cover should be moved to the edge of the case, lifted and the tabs removed. Thus, it will be disconnected.
The hard drive is located here, connected by a cable to the board. This cable must be disconnected by pulling on the black tab. Then you can remove the hard drive from the bay. Then you should remove the hard drive cable and remove the rubber stoppers from its edges. Here you need to remember that these rubber stoppers are different, and you must not forget in which position to insert them back.
The next step is to unscrew the four screws from the hard drive and save them to avoid losing them. Now you need to remove the transparent panel from the hard drive. Place the hard drive in an anti-static package.
When a hard drive needs to be replaced?
The reasons for changing the hard drive may be the following:
- Hard drive failure;
- Lack of memory;
- Disc wear to avoid breakage
- Slow work speed.
Parsing the laptop
How To Change Hard Drive On A Laptop Rather Than Having The Necessary Knowledge? Everything is not as complicated as it might seem at first glance. The whole procedure takes a maximum of 15-20 minutes. The first thing to do is turn the laptop over and unscrew the screws holding the back cover. Depending on the model of the device, there may be several covers on the bottom. In this case, you need to know which one to Unscrew, and where the hard drive is located. Before unscrewing, the laptop must be unplugged and the battery removed. Then wait until all elements have cooled down. Next, an example of how to change the hard drive on an HP laptop will be considered.
Removing the battery
To remove the battery from an HP laptop, turn it upside down and flip the latch to the open position. Then lift the front edge of the battery and remove it from the laptop.
The battery is inserted in the reverse order: you need to insert the front part into the connector and press the inner edge until it clicks.
How much does it cost to change the hard drive on a laptop?
If the replacement is made by the master, then it can reach 20,000 and above.
How to change the hard drive on a laptop: a practical guide
Many laptop owners face a problem when the operating system stops loading or freezes. Advanced users begin to reinstall Windows, but they fail, and the message about the absence of a hard drive can panic. What to do and how? Change the hard drive on a laptop? But what will happen to the data that remains on it?
DO NOT despair! If you have enough knowledge and skills to fix the breakdown yourself, you can refer the device to specialists. They will be able to change the hard drive on a laptop in a short time. In this case, the price will be much higher, because you will have to pay not only the cost of the hard disk, but also the service for its replacement. It is possible that the foreman will charge a fee for diagnosing and finding problems. And if it is necessary to restore information, then this will also lead to costs.
Hard drives vary in capacity, speed, cache size, form factor, and interface. The main parameter is capacity, that is, the amount of stored information that can fit on it. An interface is a type of connector for connecting a hard drive to a motherboard. Form factor is size (for 2.5-inch laptops). The cache size is a place to store temporary information. And an important parameter is the speed of rotation of the disk, on which the speed of work depends.
Installing a new hard drive
First, you need to screw the hard drive to the panel with four screws that held the removed disk. In this case, the hard disk should be installed with the sticker facing down. Next, fix the rubber stoppers on it and connect the cable to the corresponding connector. Then the hard drive must be placed in a compartment on the laptop case and the cable must be connected to the board. Next, close the cover, tighten all the screws and put the battery back in place.
If you follow these instructions, even the most misunderstood users will not wonder how to change the hard drive on a laptop.
If the hard drive was removed in order to repair it, then after fixing the problem, you can put it back in the same order. Remember that information on a failed hard drive can be recovered. But it is not recommended to do this on your own, as you can accidentally destroy all the necessary data. This should be done by a professional.
What to do with the old hard drive after changing the hard drive on the laptop to a new one? If it is serviceable, then it can be used as an external medium to retrieve or store information.
It is important to remember that the new hard drive does not contain an operating system and will have to be reinstalled. This can be done both independently and by contacting the service center.
Can I replace the hard drive in my laptop
For those who do not know what a hard drive is, let me remind you that this is a device designed to store information (documents, pictures, music, system files, etc.) for a long period of time. This article will deal with the issue of replacing SSD drives in a laptop.
Can you change the hard drive on your laptop model? Almost all laptops produced in the last ten years are sold with removable hard drives. Of course, there are exceptions, especially for ultra-thin laptops, in which many of the nodes are combined and NOT interchangeable. In most cases, you will be able to understand whether it is possible to change the hard drive in your laptop just by looking at the back cover. if there is no special removable panel, then most likely the hard drive is NOT replaced. Although there are models in which to replace it you need to completely remove the back cover.
Take out the old hard drive
So, after the preparatory work that was described in the previous chapter, turn the laptop over so that it is the lid at the bottom. Next, determine the position of the access panel under which the hard drive is located. Depending on the computer model, this can be a small panel designed exclusively for the hard drive, or a more extensive cover that gives access to all interchangeable laptop elements.
After determining the position of this panel, take a Phillips screwdriver and remove all of the mounting screws. Then remove the cover.
Some laptops have special protection for the hard drive, for example, rubber bumpers, like the laptop, like in the photographs. This protection protects the hard drive from mechanical stress when the laptop is shaken. Sometimes you need to disconnect these elements from the hard drive or first from the laptop case to remove the hard drive. After that, you need to disconnect the hard drive from the socket, for this simply pulling it in the opposite direction from the attachment point. Also, the hard disk can be mounted on a cable, then first we take out the hard drive, and then disconnect the cable from it. That’s it, now you can delete the old, Unnecessary hard drive.
What you need to replace a hard drive
So, this guide to replacing the hard drive in your laptop assumes that you complete all steps in NOT more than 30 minutes. For work, you need a small Phillips screwdriver, as well as the new hard drive itself. Before starting to replace the hard drive, follow these steps:
- Turn off the laptop and unplug the charging cord
- Remove the battery from the laptop
- Press the laptop power button several times to completely discharge the residual electricity
- Perform all work on a soft surface so as not to scratch the laptop lid.
This guide provides only general information on how to change the hard drive on a laptop and will apply to most existing models. However, each individual model may have its own nuances and features. Which you can find out by reading the manual for using the laptop, or by visiting the official website of the manufacturer.
How to change the hard drive on a laptop
When your laptop runs out of space. Users are thinking about whether it is possible to change the hard drive on a laptop to more capacious ones? This feature is available in all modern laptops. Also, the need for this upgrade arises if the old hard drive began to malfunction or slowly, or even out of order. In any case, if your device is still under warranty, then it is better to Contact the service center for Specialized assistance, and do not try to fix the problem on your own.
Install a new hard drive into the laptop
The process of installing a hard drive into a laptop is a reverse procedure for removing it, i.e. You need to do the same in reverse order. Winchester can only get in one position. THOSE. You don’t put it upside down. the terminal simply won’t connect, so if the hard drive doesn’t go through, you might be proud of it on the wrong side. Be careful. brute force can damage the contacts.
What to do next? I hope you remember that after replacing the hard drive, your laptop became completely empty (all old files remained on the old hard drive). Therefore, you will have to install Windows first. To do this, you can first create a bootable USB flash drive for Windows 7,8,10, which you can learn more about, follow the link. Naturally, if you want to use all the data from the old hard drive, then you will need to transfer them to the new hard drive. Having previously saved the information in the virtual cloud, or in the old fashioned way, transfer the data directly.
Thus, you can change the hard drive on a laptop yourself, rather than resorting to the help of computer repair services. This procedure in most cases will be very easy and straightforward. manufacturers are trying to make free access to all replaceable elements. You can watch a short video of how to change the hard drive on a laptop yourself.
How to change the hard drive on a laptop?
In this article, we will talk about the common cases of the location of hard drives on modern laptops. If you do not find in this article, information on how to change the hard drive on your laptop, proceed in accordance with the disassembly diagram.
In this article, we will talk about common cases of the location of hard drives on modern laptops. If you do not find in this article, information on how to change the hard drive on your laptop, proceed in accordance with the disassembly scheme, or better contact the specialists. It is simply impossible to consider all the options within the framework of one article.
A hard disk or hard drive (from the English. Hard (magnetic) disk drive) is a device for storing information, which is based on the principle of magnetic recording. Winchester is the main storage device for the vast majority of computers. When replacing a hard drive, there are two things to consider:
1) Connection interface. Most laptops are equipped with SATA (newer) or IDE (aka PATA) hard drives. To determine which interface your laptop is using, remove the old hard drive. SATA uses a 7-pin connector, while IDE uses a 40-pin.
2) Physical size (form factor). In laptops, HDDs are installed 2.5 inches wide, so when choosing a new hard drive, you need to stop at hard drives of this size.
All other characteristics will not affect the replacement of the hard drive, unless you are using a non-standard laptop that works with old file systems that DO NOT support large logical drives.
Removing the old hard drive
First you need to disconnect the laptop (not only disconnect from the power supply, but also remove the battery). Most laptops do NOT need to completely remove the hard drive cover to remove the hard drive. Find a small cover (about 8 x 12 centimeters) that is attached with two bolts and is marked with a small cylinder pattern. Some models have several such covers. For example, Hewlett-Packard notebooks provide space for a second hard drive, and on the bottom there is a cover for accessing the RAM, marked schematically with a transistor pattern. If the covers are NOT marked in any way, you should simply unscrew each until you find the device you need. The winchester in a skid is inserted into the connection interface. In some cases, the sleds are screwed to the laptop case, and then they must be unscrewed. Then remove the hard drive from the connector by pulling it away from the connector. To do this, a special plastic tongue is provided on the slide, by pulling it you can easily pull out the hard drive. In no case should you try to do this by using a screwdriver or knife as a lever, as you risk damaging both the connection interface and the laptop case. The sleds are attached to the Winchester with four bolts, they will need to be unscrewed.
Installing a new hard drive
Do the same operations in reverse order. Screw the sled to the hard drive, then insert it into the connector on the laptop, put the cover back in place and screw it on. If, after installing the hard drive and attempting to install Windows, the hard drive is not detected, then most likely the reason is the use of the original driver of the hard drive connection interface on the laptop, which is absent in the distribution of the installed Windows. In this case, you need to download the driver from the manufacturer’s official website, and then, using a special program, such as nLite, create a Windows assembly.
How to change a hard drive?
Replacing the hard drive on the computer. Not the easiest procedure, especially provided that he is alone on the computer and, accordingly, also acts as a bootable one. In this article, we will tell you how to change the hard drive on your PC or laptop without losing information. The article also explains how to change the hard drive letter in the volume name.
Replacing the hard drive with a PC
So, if you need to recover a single bootable disk, the best way to get started is to save all your Most Valuable data either on an external drive or on optical media. There is also another, easier way to transfer data to a new hard drive. In this case, connect the new HDD directly to the motherboard and transfer the required information from the old one. We also assume that you have basic information on the computer “iron” and is able to connect and disconnect the hard drive from the computer. Now in more detail on points.
- On an optical media CD or DVD, you need to create an image of your hard disk (more precisely, a system image, unless, of course, you want to install a new operating system).
- Then you need to remove the old disk, or, leave it in place, just plug in the new one. If you copied the disk image to optical media, load it and restore the disk image to a new disk.
- If you decide to use the original disk as a storage disk, you need to enter the BIOS (you can most often enter this preoperating system by holding down the key “del” or keys “F10”, “F8”, “F2” or “F1”. Sometimes there are keyboard shortcuts “ctrl” “alt” from “ins” or “esc”) and change the boot order of disk drives so that the new disk (now the system one) boots before the old one.
- After the system inventorying new hardware, restart your computer. Everything, the operation is completed, the equipment is ready to use.
Replacing the hard drive on a laptop
Of course, when replacing a hard drive on a laptop, there are a number of features that we will talk about. First, buy a 2.5-inch hard drive for your laptop, as these are the drives installed on laptops. New laptop computers Equipped with SATA interface, old ones. Typically IDE. Find out before buying an HDD for your laptop. I must say that the rest of the parameters of hard drives have practically no effect on their installation on “laptop”, so pay attention mainly to width and interface.
In principle, for laptops, the scheme for replacing a hard drive is the same as for stationary PCs, but let’s dwell on some design features in more detail. In a laptop, you just need to unscrew the cover and pull the hard drive out of the connector. If the sleds, with which the drive is attached to the laptop, are screwed to the case, they must also be unscrewed. In order to avoid mechanical damage and possible loss of information in any case DO NOT use foreign objects to remove the hard drive.
How to change the drive letter
Usually a person may need to replace a drive letter for several reasons. In the case when certain programs assign a certain letter to a disk, but cannot work under a different letter of the disk (this is typical for programs such as, for example, bank-client programs). Also, users often want to see a list of disks in a specific order. So, let’s start describing the procedure for replacing a drive letter. Many people advise using certain programs such as Acronis or Partition Magic for this, but note that the system itself has everything you need to change the drive letter index without any additional applications.
Find the section on your computer “Disk Management “. Here are some ways:
- Through the Start menu. IN “Control panels” we press “Administration” and further “Computer management”. And on the left we find the item “Disk management”.
- Via “My Computer” in the “Control” menu.
- Another way. In the Start menu, click “Execute” and type the command diskmgmt.Msc.
In the menu that appears, you need to name it with the right mouse button on the disk we are interested in and simply select the item “Change drive letter or path to disk.”. If you need to swap the letters in logical drives, then first assign one of the drives a different letter, then the second drive the letter of the first, and finally the first. Second letter.
HDD vs SSD
According to statistics for 2016, one of the most popular procedures in service centers is replacing an HDD with an SSD. Increasingly, laptop owners are replacing their old magnetic hard drives with modern solid-state drives. Solid State Drive appeared in 2009 and immediately gained popularity. Here is a conventional Hard Disk Drive, whose job is to rotate, SSD has a fundamentally different work on the basis of chips.
Before installing an SSD on a laptop, it is useful to weigh the pros and cons.
How to replace a laptop hard drive at home
Many active laptop users faced a breakdown of the hard drive or simply wanted to replace it with a larger or faster one. Replacing the hard drive with a laptop is not something impossible, an ordinary Phillips screwdriver is enough and NOT more than 20 minutes of free time.
Often, when a hard drive breaks down, it is impractical to repair it, and after saving or restoring the necessary information from it, it is better to replace it.
Advantages of an SSD over a conventional hard drive:
- Lower power consumption;
- Improves work speed several times;
- Improved ergonomics;
- Does not make noise and does NOT heat up;
- No vibration.
Step-by-step process of replacing HDD to SSD in iMac:
- Unplug the power cord
- The monitor glass is held in place by magnets. We attach the suction cups to the glass at the top of the screen and detach it with a smooth motion;
- We unscrew the matrix. Use a T10 screwdriver to unscrew the side hexagons, there should be 8 of them. The sides of the aimag are magnetized, so tweezers can be used for the convenience of removing the stars;
- Gently detaching the die. Lift up, disconnect the wire from the motherboard, then lift it a little higher and disconnect the ribbon cable and another wire;
- Using a T8 screwdriver, unscrew the hexagons holding the HDD;
- Removing the old HDD and detaching it from the holder;
- Installing a new hard drive and reassembling everything in reverse order.
The screwdrivers can be magnetized for easier removal and tightening of the hex.
The subtleties of working with MacBook Pro
Replacing HDD with SSD in MacBook Pro has recently become widespread in users. This is not surprising, because replacing HDD with SSD in a laptop is due to the desire for faster and more comfortable work of your pet, and Apple fans are NOT an exception here.
For esports players, installing an SSD in a laptop is a must.
After the upgrade, you will receive:
- Productivity increase;
- Reduced noise;
- Reducing weight;
- Increased working time;
- The device will heat up less.
There may be various reasons for replacing an SSD on a MacBook, a breakdown or a lack of space, and it is not at all necessary to contact service centers. Anyone who can work with a screwdriver can replace the hard drive on a MacBook Pro. Below you can watch a very detailed video on replacing an SSD drive on a MacBook Pro.
Prepare the PH0 and T6 screwdrivers and get to work:
- Turning the device upside down and unscrew the screws.
- Carefully lift the lid and remove it.
- The hard drive is held by a 2-piece mount, unscrew the one closer to the HDD.
- Since it is necessary to remove the hard drive from the laptop carefully, and without damaging it, the manufacturers provided the device with a special tongue. Pulling the tab, raise the hard drive and remove the second part of the mount.
- Replacing a laptop hard drive requires caution. Gently detaching the ribbon connecting the hard drive to the board.
- We unscrew the hexagons located on the sides and screw them into the new SSD.
- We install a new media and reassemble everything in the reverse order, the replacement of the hard drive in the laptop is completed. The old hard HDD can be used as an additional external drive.
Let’s look at how to remove a hard drive from a laptop step by step:
- Copy all important files to removable media;
- Disconnect the laptop from the network and turn it off;
- We take out the battery;
- Turning over and find a rectangular cover (sometimes, but very rarely with the inscription HDD or a hard disk icon);
- We unscrew the bolts (usually 4 pieces) and remove the plastic cover;
- Find the hard drive located in a metal basket and secured with a pair of bolts;
- We unscrew them;
- Before removing the hard drive from the laptop, we find a special tab. Gently pull this tab, remove the disk from the connector, then unscrew the bolts and take the disk out of the basket.
Installing the HDD in a laptop is carried out by performing the procedure in the reverse order. If you are lazy to read or do not understand anything, then watch the video.
Diagnostics and replacement
Signs of an imminent hard drive breakdown:
- Clicks and strange noise. This nuisance indicates a quick breakdown of the reading heads or damage to the device chip. Physical damage or power surges could be the cause.
- A message appears on the screen that the disk is NOT formatted. One of the sectors may be destroyed or damaged. The reason may be a virus, power surges or important system files deleted by inexperience.
- Unintentional system reboot. The system may be infected with malware that returns to the boot sector.
- Appearance of a notification that the device was not found. Possible erroneous change of boot priority in BIOS or virus infection of the system.
Among the disadvantages are:
- Higher cost;
- Small capacity;
- Less MTBF (number of write / rewrite cycles) than older HDDs.
And here is a short video that clearly shows what the replacement of a conventional hard drive with a solid-state drive will give.
Why do I need to split (partition) a hard drive?
In fact, there are enough reasons: from banal convenience to security. Imagine having to reinstall your operating system, which means that your C drive will be completely formatted.
Of course, it’s good if you have time to transfer important files to another medium in advance, but if not? For example, after a virus attack. In other words, is it worth the risk and keeping all data in one place?
It will be correct to divide your hard disk into several partitions (into two or more) in advance, where the operating system and other software will be stored on one disk (Drive C :), and the most important information, such as photos, videos, documents, in another disk (for example, let it be drive F :).
Next, I suggest watching the video or Read the article.
How to partition a hard drive in Windows
How to partition a hard drive in Windows? Basic requirements: it should be simple, fast and safe.
The simplest, so to speak, regular way is to divide the hard disk by means of the operating system itself. The main advantage is that everything is done in Windows Explorer. Below I will demonstrate how to do this using the example of Windows 7.
I believe that most users are familiar with the situation when when buying a new laptop or computer there is only one C drive in the system. And now we will analyze all the questions that arise in this situation, having previously laughed at ourselves a little with the help of a funny service using artificial intelligence technologies.
How to split (split) a hard drive into two partitions
Let’s get started: Start → Computer → Management, or right-click on the icon My Computer → Management → Disk Management.
Before us is a typical picture, which is typical for most new computers and laptops. there is only one C drive. The second section is System Reserved (Reserved by the system). It is hidden and its main purpose is to store Windows boot files. This section does not need to be touched
Also, here you will see all the information about the Hard disk, which is connected to your computer. Using the built-in Windows 7 disk management feature, you can accomplish a variety of tasks:
As you can see, the built-in disk management functionality in Windows is comparable to the capabilities of a number of paid programs.
The picture below shows that I have one hard disk, which is 250 GB → Disk 0 Disk has two partitions.
Let me remind you that only four partitions can be created on an MBR disc. Three main ones (they are marked in dark blue) and the fourth one is additional, it is also logical. This is especially true for laptops, which often have hidden partitions for storing the operating system image, Special utilities, drivers, etc.
Using the example of disk 0 (i.e., the main hard disk), we will carry out all the operations. By the way, before dividing the hard drive, I strongly recommend defragmenting it. How to do it. see here.
Let’s start dividing the volume (drive C) with a size of 249.9 GB into two parts. Select the volume with the right mouse button and in the drop-down menu use the item “Shrink volume”.
Next, a request for space for compression occurs, that is, what size can be compressed.
We get the answer: Available space for compression → 200449 MB. Be very careful, as repeating this operation may cause some difficulties.
Specify how much we will Compress: Size of the compressible space. I indicate the size of 150,000 MB (of course, you will have your own numbers), which equals 146 GB. The size of the compressed space is the size that you take from drive C for a new partition.
Of course, a lot depends on the total size of your hard drive and how much software and games you will install in the future, but the approximate size of the C drive after compression, and should not be less than 60 GB. Usually 60. 150 GB is left for the C drive.
Please note that “Total size after compression” automatically changed the setting to 105,898 MB or almost 103 GB.
As I said above, “Compressed space size” is the size of your future disk (F :), and “Total size after compression” is the size of C drive after compression. For example, if your hard drive is 500 GB, then 100-150 GB is enough for the C drive, and the rest (400-350 GB) can be reserved for the disk (F :).
Now we just have to click “Compress”. After a short process, NOT distributed space appeared, and we will transform it into a simple volume. Let’s bring the mouse ON NOT allocated space, then Right-click and select “Create Simple Volume” from the drop-down menu.
The wizard for creating a simple volume will start, just click “Next” and agree.
Now you can assign any letter for your future drive (take, for example, the letter F :).
And here I strongly advise you to choose the NTFS file system. Despite the terrible inscription: “Formatting the partition”, your data, which is now on the C drive, is not in danger, since we are creating and formatting a new volume.
That’s all. Done.
As promised, our new volume F:
He, only in the conductor.
It’s so simple, fast and safe you can and should create partitions on your computer.
The method of partitioning a hard disk using operating system tools is NOT the most universal, and sometimes it does NOT cope with the task at all. In THESE cases, I recommend using third-party software. For example, Acronis Disk Director or Partition Master Free. How to partition a hard disk using the Partition Master program read here.
I also recommend my articles on file recovery, choosing the right antivirus for data protection and an overview of software for hiding folders from prying eyes.
That’s all. Subscribe to updates. See you in new articles.