What to do if the laptop is noisy, warm?
To improve the performance of the laptop and in order for the sounds it makes to become quieter, there are several optimal ways, one way or another related either to the features of the external device or to the laptop software.
Updating BIOS and drivers
Many users, while upgrading the technical components of their laptop, often forget about upgrading the software. It is no less important for sufficient hardware performance, especially when it comes to updating (flashing) the BIOS and drivers. If you visit the website of the laptop manufacturer every six months or a year and update the software in the form of at least drivers, then this will allow you to get rid of the moments when the laptop is noisy or very hot. In addition, software improvements will significantly increase the speed of your laptop.
Important nuances and tips for updating BIOS:
- Do NOT download new versions from anywhere except the official site, and then, after you find out the model of the motherboard;
- If the update takes place using official programs, the process becomes simpler and clearer. There are “but”. You are at risk, as Antivirus applications and other third-party processes can cause the laptop to freeze;
- During the update, you need to protect yourself from any problems with the power supply, as this can damage the motherboard significantly;
- It is recommended to save the old, familiar BIOS variations on a separate media in advance, in case of poor update performance;
- It is recommended NOT to select alpha versions that are in testing.
BIOS flashing optimizes laptop processes, including fan speed.
Updating drivers is simple: Visit the manufacturer’s website, download them individually or in a pack, run and, following the prompts, install the drivers as a normal program.
Reducing the rotation speed of the cooler
Elimination of unnecessary noise is also carried out locally. You can download software that controls the fan speed. Such programs capture temperature changes inside the laptop case, automatically adjusting the pace of movement of the blades. This way the cooler will operate at optimal efficiency and you will avoid a lot of noise.
Often, such utilities are not necessary for the high-quality performance of the laptop, however, some laptop models require this control of the fan speed, since initially they do not have sufficiently sensitive temperature sensors.
Due to the low sensitivity of THESE sensors, the cooler may slow down NOT immediately, as soon as the temperature of the processor and video card has dropped, but after a while. This delay leads to rapid wear of the moving parts of the cooler and to constant noise.
You should be very careful to use such software, as there is a possibility of program failure and, as a result, dangerous overheating of the laptop.
Reducing hard disk noise
The grinding noise of your apparatus. Nothing more than the positioning of the hard disk readheads, they make a loud noise. Do not rush to panic, plug your ears, look for a new device. Just look in the settings yourself “hard”. There is a head control function, a priori it is disabled by default. With the help of Special programs, you can turn it on, thereby reducing the reading speed and removing the Noise accompaniment. Of course, this slightly reduces the performance of the hard disk, while at the same time significantly added years of service to it.
QuietHDD is considered the best program for this. It is not difficult to understand it:
- Download and unzip the program, run as administrator;
- Find the application icon on the taskbar;
- Call the context menu with a right click and select “Settings”;
- Go to tab “AAM Settings”;
- Move both sliders to the left to the minimum value;
- Save all with button “Apply”.
After executing this algorithm, the working parts “hard” will slow down, and it will stop buzzing, grinding or clicking. In order for the application to start its work simultaneously with turning on the laptop, you need to copy the startup file to the Desktop, Mark the launch as administrator in Properties and move this file to Autostart, which can be found in the panel “Start”.
How to reduce laptop noise: 4 main reasons and how to fix them
At low loads the laptop behaves quietly, but if you run quite demanding games, resource-intensive programs or, for example, work with high-quality video materials, then the cooler immediately makes itself felt. A certain hum appears. During the day, when both the house and the street are filled with sounds, this noise is not particularly noticeable. But during night work, when you DO NOT want to wake up your family, the hum of coolers and the innards of the laptop draws attention. Why does it make noise and what needs to be done to make the laptop work quickly and quietly.
Why does the laptop make noise
The internal structure of a laptop assumes three parts that can serve as source of extraneous sound: cooler, hard drive, drive.
The cooler is always noisy, as it is a small fan that drives air for cooling “viscera” laptop. If you do not give the laptop a large load, then the noise level from the fan will be barely noticeable. An increase in the load on the processor immediately intensifies this rumble, as the cooler is accelerated in order to have time to supply cold air inside the laptop case and prevent overheating of spare parts.
2. CD / DVD drives are also very noisy. Now, of course, information on discs is not yet very popular, but even an empty drive sometimes makes loud sounds, and when reading or writing to a disc, the noise becomes very loud. There are programs that regulate the communication speed of the drive, but they slow things down considerably. The best solution to this problem would be to remove the discs in time at the end of work with them.
3. The last reason a laptop is noisy is the hard drive. It is its magnetic heads that make grinding sounds with a click. This does not always happen, but only with intensive work: you read “heavy” information “hard” accelerates and starts to work in hard mode.
Blocking into the cooler, small particles of debris slow down its operation, make it difficult to rotate, causing a loud buzz and noise. Regular cleaning of the coolers will help keep the machine running and avoid loud noises during operation.
Recommendations for cleaning laptop from dust:
Use synthetic bristle brushes. They shed less and have better quality Clean the surface “viscera” laptop;
2. It is recommended to clean the laptop not less than once every six months;
3. When cleaning, it is better to change the thermal paste as well. Lubricate the moving parts of the coolers;
4. The cleaning process is recommended to be carried out on a table, not on a bed, floor or chair, otherwise all the necessary screws may be lost;
5. To unscrew the bolts, it is more convenient to use a magnetized screwdriver, so that it is easier to get the screws out of the slots and NOT to lose them;
6. Laptops under warranty are advised not to clean themselves, since opening the back cover will void the warranty;
7. Experts strongly recommend to find materials on how to do it correctly before disassembling a laptop;
8. Required tools for physical cleaning are: screwdriver set with matching bits, fine brushes, alcohol wipes.
Regular care of the laptop, expressed in cleaning from dust and changing thermal paste, will reduce the noise of a running fan, keep the laptop from heating.
Programs for changing the rotational speed of the cooler
By right, SpeedFan is considered the simplest and most functional software for controlling a cooler. Intuitive interface and automation-based operation. The best companions for a program of this nature.
The application can easily adjust the rotational speed of the coolers. This will not cause any difficulties for you:
1. Install software;
2. Launch it;
3. In a matter of seconds, the program will collect information about all working laptop coolers and display the data in a list;
Remember two blocks of information in the working window.
The first block shows the speed of the cooler, expressed in the number of revolutions, and the program determines which fan belongs where. Sometimes, of course, She is not able to perform this task and then you can change the characteristics at random.
Second block. Changing the speed of coolers by percentage. By experimenting with these parameters, you can adjust the cooler speeds and, trusting your hearing, choose an acceptable speed. Please note that your choice will also affect the temperature inside the laptop. It depends very much on the intensity of the blades. Therefore, the speed of coolers should be taken into account even more carefully: the volume of the device and the cooling of its “filling” depend on it.
To enable SpeedFan when the computer starts up, click on the fields in the equivalent items of the program option. You can enter them by clicking on the button “Configure” and selecting the tab of the same name “Options”.
Another good cooler control software is MSI Afterburner. This utility works exclusively with graphics card coolers. After installing and opening the program, you can see that there is only one cooler regulator slider. Since it works in automatic mode by default, you need to switch to custom mode for self-configuration. If the cooler of the video card makes a lot of noise, then you need to choose the optimal value for its rotation speed. The parameters take effect when the button is pressed “Apply”.
The right window of the application shows graphs of temperature changes, the speed of the blades as a percentage and in revolutions per second.
Also, this program is known for the fact that it has a function that allows you to set different fan speeds under different temperature conditions. You can find this function, go to “Settings”, then open the “Cooler” tab. Choose “Custom Auto”. Set additional points on the graph, which will be programmed by the fan. After the settings, the program will independently adjust the rpm to the user.
All the actions described in this article are focused on the timely care of the laptop, both from a purely technical side and from the software side. And if regular cleaning of the laptop from dust is necessary in any case, then experts advise using other ways to reduce noise only in situations where the laptop is buzzing outside heavy loads, games or resource-intensive programs.
Updating drivers should be done once every six months or a year if the new software on the official website has significant differences from the existing one, and the BIOS should not be updated unnecessarily. Nevertheless, most often the laptop makes too much noise precisely because of the dirty cooler and old thermal paste, so it will not be difficult to get quiet operation from it.
How to update motherboard BIOS
Updating BIOS and drivers
Developers often release driver and BIOS updates that correct previous errors. It is in the BIOS that the temperature of the sensors and the rotational speed of the cooler blades are set. Therefore, a software update can help eliminate fan noise.
Websites with necessary drivers for users of the most popular models:
What actions can be taken
There are several options for correcting these problems:
- Cleaning from dust and dirt;
- BIOS update;
- Application of the program to change the rotational speed of the cooler;
Below we will take a closer look at each of the options, which will certainly help you reduce noise during operation.
How to reduce laptop noise
If your fan buzzes too much when working with a laptop, then this manual is specially designed for you. In this article we will figure out why the fan makes noise and what should be done to get rid of the annoying sound.
Changing the rotation speed of the cooler
If the fan in the laptop is making too much noise, then a special program SpeedFan will help you, which will allow you to change the speed of the blades. It receives all the necessary information from the temperature sensors, which your laptop is equipped with, and makes it possible to adjust the speed of revolutions based on the data received. By correctly adjusting the indicators, you can remove the noise of the cooler by limiting its rotation speed.
If the temperature of the processor rises too high, then the program automatically starts the fan at full power to protect the laptop from overheating. Therefore, if after the settings you made, the laptop began to make noise, then there is nothing to worry about.
Cleaning from dirt and dust
If the cooler in your laptop begins to make a lot of noise and overheat, then this may mean that it is excessively dirty. It is recommended to regularly clean the laptop, but for this it is not at all necessary to carry it to the service center, because everything can be done at home.
If you decide to clean your laptop yourself, you need to:
- Disconnect the device from the mains, disconnect the battery.
- Unscrew all screws and carefully remove the rear panel. It can be equipped with special latches, so you should carefully make sure that they DO NOT interfere with.
- Using a cotton swab, remove dust from the accessories of the device. Do not rush so as NOT to damage anything or catch.
- Using a vacuum cleaner or a special can of compressed air Collect or blow off (“reverse” function) residual dust.
- Now with special care Reassemble the laptop by carefully tightening all the bolts.
If there was a lot of dust in the device, then after cleaning you will immediately notice a positive result: the computer will heat up less and work much quieter. However, prevention does not always help, for example, when the mechanism is worn out, in which case a complete replacement may be required.
There are several obvious reasons why the laptop hums a lot:
- Overheating and, as a consequence, high rotation speed of the cooler blades, which leads to a high noise level.
- Dust and dirt in the cooling system, which interfere with its full and uninterrupted functioning.
Everything is quite simple, but there are a couple of nuances. For example, if your device makes a lot of noise only when certain games or programs are turned on, then you should not worry and take any action, as this is quite normal.
All that is needed in this situation is preventive actions every six months in the form of cleaning from dust and grease. If your laptop makes a lot of noise when programs that do NOT load the computer are running, you should try to do something.
How to prevent and reduce laptop noise?
- Use the laptop on a firm and clean surface. If you place it on a bed or sofa during operation, the ventilation holes are likely to block. Perhaps your laptop gets very hot and constantly makes noise for this very reason, since warm air does NOT come out, the temperature inside rises and the fan starts to run much faster and makes more noise. Especially if you have it in play.
- You can influence the temperature of the laptop using a special stand with coolers. It is able to lower the temperature to 10 degrees, making it much easier for the cooler to cope with the load placed on it. Such devices are extremely common and universal for all laptop companies, be it sony, asus or Samsung.
- Check back periodically for BIOS and driver updates. As we have already found out above, this has a significant effect on the operation of the entire system, and perhaps your device makes a loud noise and rattles for this very reason.
- DO NOT ask why the laptop is heating up and the fan is noisy, if you do not clean it from dust at least once every six months. This is especially true for the fan blades, as it is responsible for cooling the laptop. It usually cracks or buzzes due to the large amount of accumulated dust and drying out of the grease, which also needs to be changed regularly.
- When working with CD / DVD discs, always remove them from the drive after use. In the opposite case, the computer will read information from them at every start-up and, accordingly, the drive will make a significant noise.
Now you know how to quickly and without any problems reduce the fan noise yourself at home, and you can help Not only yourself, but also your friends and family.
Next, we analyze why the laptop starts to make noise over time
The temperature inside the beech can rise constantly.
This is monitored by a special sensor, which, when a critical temperature is reached, first increases the speed of the cooler or fan, and then if the temperature is critical, then it turns off the beech altogether, to prevent burnout of any part.
Let’s take a closer look at the moment when the cooler starts to work at increased speeds, because this is exactly what we need in order to understand why the laptop cooler makes noise.
As mentioned above, the sensor inside, registering an increased temperature (and this is a common thing, for example, in games, the temperature should rise. this is the usual reaction of the main parts of the beech to an increased load), the speed of the cooler starts to increase.
This is logical in order to reduce the rising temperature, you just need to spin the fan at a higher speed.
Everything is good, but the effectiveness of this serves when the hot air outlet in the beech is clogged with dust.
Therefore, the cooler starts working at an increased speed, thus becoming loud and noisy, but this usually helps only up to a certain point, and after a while it does not help at all.
The way out in this situation is most often to carry out the procedure for cleaning the laptop from dust, you can read more about this process in the article Cleaning laptops in Minsk.
If you are tired of the noisy and unstable work of beech, then you can contact our service, and our masters will fix this problem efficiently, reliably and inexpensively.
We considered the issue of noise in a laptop, why this happens, what to do and how to act in this situation.
back to the main page
Sorry! But you’ve already left your voice.
- 15 May 2014
- Author: Alex Rempc.By
Next, we get an increased temperature inside the beech and, accordingly, additional heating of all already hot parts, this is especially often felt outside:
- Keyboard heating
- Heats up the side seat where air is blown out, but it does NOT feel like the air is coming out
- Heating the entire beech body
We recommend reading the article the laptop is warming up.
Why does my laptop crack? How to eliminate cooler and hard drive noise?
You can often hear that the laptop crackles, rumbles, makes noise and does not allow to work quietly. In this article, we will consider the possible causes, consequences and solutions of this problem.
Reducing fan noise
If the laptop starts to make noise only during startup of resource-intensive processes (games, videos, etc.), then no action is needed. Clean it regularly from dust. this will be enough.
Dust can be the main prerequisite for overheating the device, and noisier operation of the cooler. It is necessary to regularly clean the laptop from dust. The best way to do this is to take the device to a service center (especially if you have NEVER encountered cleaning yourself).
For those who want to try cleaning the laptop on their own (at their own peril and risk), I will describe my simple way here. He, of course, not a professional one, and He will not tell you how to update the thermal grease and lubricate the fan (which may also be needed).
1) completely disconnect the laptop from the network, remove and disconnect the battery.
2) Next, unscrew all the bolts on the back of the laptop. Be careful: the bolts can be located under the rubber “feet”, or on the side, under the sticker.
3) Carefully remove the back cover of the laptop. often than not, it shifts in one direction. Sometimes there may be small latches. In general, DO NOT rush, Make sure all the bolts are unscrewed, nothing interferes with anything and does not “clings”.
4) Then, using cotton swabs, you can easily remove large pieces of dust from the case of parts and circuit boards of the device. The main thing is not to rush and act carefully.
5) fine dust can be “blown away” with a vacuum cleaner (most models have the ability to reverse) or a can of compressed air.
6) Then it remains only to assemble the device. Stickers and rubber feet may need to be new. Be sure to do this. the “legs” provide the necessary clearance between the laptop and the surface on which it stands, thus ventilation occurs.
If there was a lot of dust in your case, then with the “naked” eye you will notice how your laptop has become quieter and less heated (like measuring the temperature).
Updating BIOS and drivers
Developers often release driver and BIOS updates that fix previous bugs. It is in the BIOS that the temperature of the sensors and the rotational speed of the cooler blades are set. Therefore, a software update can help eliminate fan noise.
Websites with necessary drivers for users of the most popular models:
Related posts:. Reducing rotation speed (caution!)
To reduce the noise level of the laptop, you can limit the fan speed with the help of Special utilities. One of the most popular is Speed Fan (you can download it here: www.Almico.com/sfdownload.php).
The program receives information about the temperature from sensors in the case of your laptop, so that you can optimally and flexibly adjust the rotation speed. When the critical temperature is reached, the program will automatically start the rotation of the fans at full power.
In most cases, you need this junk comments. But, sometimes, on some laptop models, it will be very useful.
Updating Drivers and BIOS
Many users underestimate software updates as such. But in vain. Regular visits to the manufacturer’s website can save you from unnecessary noise, and from the excessive temperature of the laptop, and will add speed to it. The only thing is, when updating the BIOS, be careful, the operation is Not entirely harmless (how to update the BIOS of a computer).
Several sites with drivers for users of popular laptop models:
Why does the laptop make a lot of noise (buzzing)
If the noise appeared after 1-2 years, but before it was NOT. This is already a reason to think about it. When, at the time of loading the operating system, when watching movies, launching games and other programs, the fan starts to work very loudly, which means, with a 90-95% probability, time cleans the laptop from dust, if this has not happened before. And here is the dust and what else can be besides dust is described in more detail below.
How loud is the cooler
In order to understand how much the cooling system is clogged with dust, it is necessary to measure the temperature of the processor, video card using Special programs, for example hwmonitor. If in an idle state, i.e. When only the operating system is running without additional programs and the processor load (the indicator can be viewed in the task manager) is no more than 50%, the temperature should not be more than 75C, under load the temperature of any sensor should not exceed 95C. If the laptop buzzes a lot and the temperature values exceed the above-described limits. most likely, the problem is a clogged cooling system. the exit is cleaning the laptop inside, while, WITHOUT having experience in disassembling such equipment, it is recommended to contact the specialists, in order to avoid component breakdowns, repair which are not cheap. If your laptop is noisy and the temperatures are below the above limits, it does NOT mean that it is not dust. The fact is that the operating temperatures of different models are different, therefore only high limits are indicated above, which are applicable to all devices. On average, modern models require cleaning every 1.5 years, so even if the temperatures are normal and the cooler hums strongly, it is recommended to do a preventive cleaning.
Why is the laptop noise (buzzing)
The noises that a laptop makes can be divided into 2 groups:
- 1) Electrical, which appear during the passage of current through capacitors and other electronic components. A characteristic feature of such a sound is crackling with some frequency, i.e. It can quickly disappear, change, increase. If the crackles have NOT increased since the purchase, then most likely everything is in order with the device. Sound can change under load.
2) Mechanical. In this article, we only consider mechanical, i.e. Everything that will be described below refers to mechanical noise. There is a fan in the mobile computer, it cools the cooling system with a stream of air, which is thrown out through the cooling radiator from the case. Over time, due to the radiator, a large amount of air passes through, including dust, which settles on the radiator grill, thereby creating an obstacle to the outgoing air flow, at this moment the device tries to keep the temperature the same and the only way out in this case is to increase the rotation speed of the cooler blades so the laptop hums a lot. If your cooler makes a lot of noise, regular preventive dust cleaning will help in 95 cases out of 100. It is important to make a reservation: the fan of any laptop makes a lot of noise under load.
signs when the fan hums a lot due to dust
- 1) The laptop shuts down without warning (i.e. no error signs appear, but just shutdown) under load, i.e. When you start playing a game, watching a movie, chatting on skype, or launching other programs. The device has built-in sensors for measuring the temperature inside and when the values reach critical values, the device turns off. Disconnection can occur for another reason. If an error message appears on the screen before disconnecting, most likely it is not dust and overheating.
2) The laptop is very hot, the case is hot.
3) The cooler is constantly humming, although this was not the case before.
4) The laptop slows down, hangs, works slowly, this also triggers the protective system against overheating, when the temperature exceeds the norm, performance decreases and freezes appear. When the laptop slows down, the fan makes a lot of noise and the case heats up. To more accurately understand whether the laptop slows down due to dust and whether the cooler hums more than it should, it is enough to measure the temperature inside, for example, using the hwmonitor programs, if the values at the time of freezing are higher than 90C, then the problem is that the laptop is noisy, most likely dust, if less than 85C the reason is more software.
Why is a fan running loudly a bad sign?
If the cooler hums a lot, this is a sign that the temperature inside is above normal, i.e. Cooling does NOT cope with the cooling function assigned to it, and at high temperatures, the service life of components is significantly reduced and can lead to the fact that a chip on the motherboard will burn out. for example, a video card chip, a north or south bridge, replacement of which will be quite an expensive pleasure. How to recognize whether a laptop is noisy above normal or not is described below.
Unnatural cooler noise
It should be noted right away that the fans rarely break down (in 90-95% of cases, cleaning from dust and lubricating the cooler helps). Above, we considered the moments when there is just a monotonous (constant) sound. Below we will consider the case when there are tapping sounds in the noise, sounds similar to grinding. Lubrication of the cooler can be recommended here, but chances are 50/50 that will help, i.e. In half of the cases it can help, in the other half of the cases only replacing the fan will help. Replacement is 2-3 times more expensive than preventive cleaning, so it is recommended to first clean, if necessary, lubricate the cooler, and if it does not help, then think about replacing. It also happens that after cleaning from dust, the noise still remains strong, but even, in this case, in about half of the cases, lubrication can help.
If a laptop is noisy, and you have not previously had experience in disassembling such equipment, it is recommended to contact a specialist, because The cost of repairs after damage to components can be several times higher than high-quality dust cleaning.