Checking device connection
You can also use any known method to open Device Manager. If you do not know them, we advise you to read our special article.
Read more: 3 ways to open Task Manager on Windows
Then look for the “Cameras” section among the catalogs. Ideally, the device should be located exactly here.
If there is no equipment in the indicated place or the “Cameras” section is absent altogether, do not rush to get upset. You should also check the Imaging Devices and USB Controllers catalog. In some cases, this component may even be located in the section “Sound, game and video devices”.
Please note that in the event of a software failure, the camera may be marked with an exclamation mark or a question mark. At the same time, it can even act as an unknown device.
If the device was not found in all of the above sections, you should try to update the laptop configuration. To do this, in the “Device Manager” go to the “Action” section, then in the drop-down menu click on the line “Update hardware configuration”.
After that, the device should appear in one of the above sections. If this did not happen, it is too early to despair. Of course, there is a possibility that the equipment is out of order (problems with contacts, a loop, and so on), but you can try to get it back by installing the software. We will talk about this further.
After you have made sure that the camera is in the “Device Manager”, you should try to reinstall it. This is done very simply:
- Open the “Device Manager” again.
- Find the equipment you need in the list and click on its name with RMB. In the context menu, select the item “Delete”.
SOLVED!! We can’t find your camera windows 10 (Error code 0xA00F4244(0xC00D36D5)
Then you can reboot the system and check if the camera is working properly. If the failure was minor, everything should work.
Installing and rolling back drivers
By default, Windows 10 automatically downloads and installs software for all hardware it can identify. But in some cases you have to install the drivers yourself. This can be done in different ways: from downloading from the official website and ending with the standard means of the operating system. We have devoted a separate article to this issue. You can familiarize yourself with all methods of finding and installing a video camera driver using the example of an ASUS laptop:
In addition, sometimes it is worth trying to roll back a previously installed software version. This is done very simply:
- Open “Device Manager”. We wrote about how this can be done at the beginning of the article.
- Find your video camera in the list of devices, click on its name with RMB and select the “Properties” item from the context menu.
In the window that opens, go to the “Driver” section. Here you will find the “Roll Back” button. Click on it. Please note that in some cases the button may be inactive. This means that the drivers for the device were installed only 1 time. There is simply nowhere to roll back. In such situations, you should try to install the software first, following the above tips.
If you still managed to roll back the driver, all that remains is to update the system configuration. To do this, click the “Action” button in the “Device Manager” window, then select the item with the same name from the list that appears.
Then the system will try to download and install the camera software again. You just need to wait a little, and then check the device’s performance again.
Solving the problem with the camera not working on a laptop with Windows 10
Periodically, certain hardware components of a laptop can fail for a number of reasons. We are talking not only about external peripherals, but also about built-in hardware. In this article, you will learn what to do if the camera suddenly stops working on a laptop running Windows 10.
Solving camera problems
Please note right away that all tips and guides are applicable only in cases where the malfunction is of a software nature. If the equipment has hardware damage, then there is only one way out. contact a specialist for repair. We will tell you how to find out the nature of the problem further.
Windows 10 update
Microsoft releases updates for Windows 10 quite often. But the truth is that sometimes they disable the system at the software or hardware level. This also applies to cameras. In such situations, the developers try to release the so-called patches as soon as possible. To find and install them, you just need to re-run the update check. This can be done as follows:
Click on the desktop key combination “WindowsI” and click in the window that opens on the item “Update and Security”.
This will open a new window. On the right side of it there will be a button “Check for updates”. Click on it.
A search for available updates will start. If the system detects any, they will start downloading and installing immediately (provided that you have not changed the update installation settings). It is necessary to wait until the end of all operations, then restart the laptop and check the operation of the camera.
If the above steps do not work well, it is worth checking the Windows 10 settings. It is possible that access to the camera is simply not enabled in the settings. You need to do the following:
Click on the “Start” button with the right mouse button and select “Options” from the list that appears.
Then go to the “Privacy” section.
On the left side of the window that opens, find the “Camera” tab and click on its name LMB.
Next, you should make sure that access to the camera is open. This should be indicated by the line at the top of the window. If access is disabled, click the “Change” button and just toggle this option.
Also check that specific applications can use the camera. To do this, on the same page, go down a little lower and move the switch opposite the name of the required software to the active position.
Then try to test the camera again.
File system damaged
Another reason why a laptop usually does not see the built-in WEB-camera. In short, a file system is a way of organizing and storing information. And at the slightest error in it, the performance of certain components is disrupted.
- Open “Computer”.
- Right-click on the disk where the OS is installed. Usually this is drive “C”.
- Open the “Properties” section.
- Move to the “Service” tab and click on the check button.
- Check all available options and click “Run”.
- Add to the schedule by clicking on the corresponding button.
To start checking, you need to reboot the system. All errors found will be corrected.
The second problem, which may very well be, is the corruption of the system files responsible for the correct operation of the software.
- Run command line “cmd”.
- Enter sfc / scannow.
- Send the command for execution by pressing “Enter”.
- Wait for the check to complete and reboot the system.
This is a system tool that automatically restores important files from the backup area.
Troubleshooting laptop WEB-camera problems
In fact, there are many reasons that have a direct impact on the correct operation of a web device. These are mainly: uninstalled, installed with an error or incompatible with the current version of the OS driver, software problems or system errors.
So, now let’s talk in more detail why this happens, what to do if the laptop does not see the WEB-camera and how to return it to operation.
[ Solved ] Can’t open Camera in windows 10 | We Can’t find your Camera Solved
How to enable it
After fixing all the problems, the webcam will be available for use. To enable it, special key combinations are used, most often these are:
- Fn and Esc, Fn and F6 or Fn and F10.
- There are other combinations as well. Look at the keyboard and find the icon you want, click on it in combination with the FN key.
You can also open “Start” and enter “camera” in the search bar.
First, open the device manager and make sure that you have all the necessary drivers installed.
- Open the processing devices section and make sure that the icon with the WEB-camera is present. Also, make sure that there are no red or yellow signs next to it and in the “Devices” section, indicating that the software was not installed correctly.
- If the icons are present, then you need to go to the office. the website of the laptop manufacturer (MSI. ASUS. ACER, etc.), enter the model of your laptop into the search (you can see it on the box or on the back) and download the necessary drivers.
- Then install them. The procedure is actually extremely simple, I will not dwell on it.
After the installation is complete, remember to restart your PC.
There are times when, due to various failures, the WEB-camera software fails and the laptop does not see it. Then, before installing a new driver, you need to remove the old one.
- We go into the device manager, click on the name with the right mouse and open “Properties”.
- Move to the “Driver” section and click “Remove”.
- We confirm the actions by clicking “OK”.
- Restart your computer.
Now you can proceed to installing fresh software.
If the device manager does not see the WEB-camera, it simply is not in any section, then most likely the problem is in its malfunction.
Solving Compatibility Issues
In some cases, the laptop may not see the built-in WEB-camera due to problems with the compatibility of the installed software with the current version of Windows. Then the troubleshooter comes to the rescue, originally built into the OS.
- Open “Start” and enter “previous” in the search.
- Click on the appropriate item.
- After opening the main window, click “Next”.
- A scan will start, during which you will be prompted to select the faulty component. If the required component is not there, select “Not in the list” and specify the path manually. Click “Next”.
- Select the “Diagnostics” option and select the OS in which it should definitely work.
What else could there be
- The webcam is completely or partially out of order.
- Damage to the cable connecting the WEB-camera to the motherboard.
- Faulty motherboard. Usually in cases with a laptop, an overheating of a separate component occurs.
You cannot fix all this on your own. It is necessary to communicate for help to specialists, for example, to us, for a more thorough diagnosis and repair.