Can windows 10 laptop share Wi-Fi
The main requirement is that the laptop must have at least two network interfaces installed in the system. You can have two network cards or one network card and wireless adapter. If you only have one network interface, you cannot convert your laptop to a router.
Also, on Windows 10 computers, the process of creating an access point is called Internet Sharing.
You need to create and configure a wireless network that will connect to the Internet using a second network interface.
For a better understanding, the task you must complete here is Step by Step Instructions.
Download and configure a special program. I recommend this one, but there are others.
It is possible without a program, but it will be a one-time network. After a reboot, everything will need to start from scratch.
Offered by me in Russian is free and has never let me down.
Create a wireless network in the program.
Connect a new client to the wireless network.
Setting up Wi-Fi distribution on a windows 10 laptop
To customize the distribution, open the control panel and click on the “Network and Sharing Center” section. Then click on the term “Change adapter settings” in the menu on the left.
Now, if you have created a wireless one using the program offered to download above, you should see the adapter: “Local network connection2 or with the name of the network”.
If there is no such adapter, then your laptop has such functionality Plasma.
Let’s assume that there is an adapter. At this stage, you need to expand the Internet for all users.
To do this, click on the adapter from which you get the Internet. If you have it wired, then Ethernet, if it is modem, then accordingly to its adapter.
Then, right-click on “Properties” and go to the “Access” tab. There you must allow the created network to distribute the Internet. this will be an access point.
That, it would seem, is all, but it was not so. All that is written above, you will find on the second sites.
Only for me, for example, this was not enough. It is also necessary to register the corresponding values on the sending and receiving devices.
How to make a Wi-Fi hotspot in a laptop on windows 10
Looking for a way to convert your hp, asus, lenovo, acer, samsung or toshiba laptop to a Wi-Fi router (wireless router)?
If you have several PCs, including Android devices and only one cable or modem Internet, you can set up Wi-Fi distribution on a laptop with windows 10, that is, convert the laptop into a wireless router.
Before we talk about the process of how to distribute Wi-Fi internet on a laptop with windows 10, it is important to know the requirements.
Modern laptops are all capable of distributing Wi-Fi Internet, but those that were bought 10 years ago can NOT pull such a function.
How to get laptop to share Wi-Fi windows 10
Right-click on the laptop, which will distribute the Internet through the adapter connection2, select the IP protocol version 4 and click its properties. There you need to register the values as in the picture below.
NOTE: it is possible that your Internet will be crushed when the settings are automatically selected. this did not work for me.
If you do as in Describing, you may end up with different DHC server values. How to find out?
Sign in network control center and see as shown in the picture below.
That’s not all. Also you need to change the value of the IP version 4 protocol, on the laptop receiving the Internet. Here they are.
That’s how it is. Just keep in mind, this is how it works on my laptop with windows 10. I don’t know how your devices will behave.
Take this into account and DO NOT get angry if you get errors. You can try the following.
Now type. Netsh Winsock reset. and press Enter. The shutdown command will tell you to restart your computer. Enjoy!
Configuring a laptop with built-in tools
The process is implemented by adding an additional Wi-Fi adapter. He will act as a router. First of all, we launch the service utility:
Netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = “Your network SSID” key = “Wi-Fi access key” keyUsage = persistent
All tasks are performed by the administrator. When the command is completed, the network interface will be added. The name will differ depending on the default locale. Locale is the language used by the OS. In the Russian-language version of Windows, the device should be called “Microsoft Virtual Wi-Fi mini-port adapter”, and in the English version. “Microsoft Virtual Wi-Fi miniport adapter”.
To activate the interface, you need to make sure that the “Network and Control Center” added a connection that was not there before. Usually this connection is called “Wireless Network Connection 2”, but it may differ from the usual one. To activate the connection and the laptop began to work as a router, you need to do the following:
Netsh wlan start hostednetwork
If the command works without errors, the laptop will become a router, clients will be able to connect to it to use the Internet. To configure it is not necessary to use a laptop, there is a possibility of how to use a computer as a Wi-Fi router. Such access can be configured if a Wi-Fi PCI card is present on the computer and Internet access is used through it.
If the use of the command line is too complicated for the user, then you can use the built-in Windows assistant, which step by step will allow you to create a virtual access current. To start this wizard, you need to go to the “Network Management Center” and select “” Create a new connection “. A dialog box will open, where the necessary data is entered:
- In the first step, you need to select “Wireless network settings”;
- The next window is for informational purposes only. And hardly anyone will read it;
- Then enter the “Network name”, “Security type” and “Security key” and click “Next”;
- A notification appears stating that the network is configured, ready to use, and a recommendation that you need to enable sharing of this network. Of course, this must be done by clicking on the appropriate link;
- Press the button “Close”.
And finally, you need to allow the broadcast of the identifier on the air and allow access, if necessary, to network resources. To do this, you need to click the link “Additional adapter parameters” and put the necessary switches in the “Enable” position.
This is the first way to explain how to use a laptop as a Wi-Fi router.
How to check if a laptop can be used as a router
First of all, you need to make sure if you can use your laptop as a Wi-Fi router. Settings can only be made on computers and laptops with Windows version older than 7. In Windows XP, this feature was not implemented. Another problem may be that the module lacks the SoftAP function or the function of software implementation of such a possibility. This is easy enough. You need to run “netsh wlan show drivers”.
The contextual parameters of the wireless module will be displayed on the screen. We find the line “Hosted Network Supported” and if it says “Yes” or “Yes”, then now you can configure the system.
How to set up a laptop as a router and distribute Wi-Fi
The use of a laptop as a Wi-Fi router occurs when you need to quickly organize the exchange of data between two devices or in the case when it is not possible to use a regular factory Wi-Fi router. For this, it is absolutely necessary to use a specialized server OS. Everything “unfolds” on a regular Windows 7 of any edition. There are several ways to make a Wi-Fi router out of a laptop: using standard Windows tools. And application of Special utilities.
Using third-party utilities to share Wi-Fi
The second way is to use the resources of independent software vendors. For example, there is a Wi-Fi router program for a laptop called Connectify. This is not the only option, but as an example, consider working with it. On the Internet you can find many more SIMilar small utilities for organizing access.
In order for this utility to work fully, it is advisable to turn off the antivirus before starting, stop the firewall (the service must remain enabled). Let’s add the utility to the list of trusted or exceptions.
Launched the program with administrator rights, a small window with an intuitive interface will appear. Required fields to be filled:
- Wi-Fi Name. Enter the name of the network, i.e. Its SSID;
- Password. password for access;
- Internet. a field with a drop-down list where you need to select the connection through which the distributing laptop exits.
- Wi-Fi. a field with a drop-down list in which a virtual adapter is selected.
- Mode. a method of encrypting data on the network.
The final stage is setting up the connection through which the laptop, acting as a router, receives the Internet. It is necessary in its parameters to allow sharing for Internet access. This is done on the “Access” tab. You can click “Start Hotspot”. Everything should work now.
The utility has a shareware license, and the full version costs 10, so you can use its free analogue MyPublicWi-Fi. The utility has an intuitive interface and it is NOT difficult to understand its work. It is also necessary to fill in the fields described above and perform the same actions with setting up an Internet connection, i.e. Allow its use.
Here are all the steps that serve to help you use your laptop as a Wi-Fi router. You can use the standard features of the operating system, or you can use third-party software, but this is already a matter of taste.
How to distribute the Internet from a laptop connected via Wi-Fi via a network cable? Setting up a network bridge
Hello friends! Today I needed to connect a regular desktop computer to the Internet in order to update the antivirus on it. Wi-Fi is available on it, and it’s very difficult to connect a network cable directly to the router, it’s just that the router is not installed in a very convenient place. And my laptop is connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi and I decided to try to connect a stationary computer to a laptop via a network cable and use a network bridge to distribute the Internet to the computer through the laptop.
Everything is somehow confused :). But now everything will become clear. I thought that it is possible Not only I may have such a situation and my advice may be useful to someone else.
This means that I had Internet on my laptop, which I received via Wi-Fi. The task was as follows: to connect a stationary computer to a laptop via a network cable and make it so that the computer and laptop have access to the Internet, and not just a network.
Setting up a network bridge
The laptop has internet. We connect the computer to the laptop using a network cable (for how to crimp a network cable, see the article How to crimp an RJ-45 network cable correctly). On the computer, the Internet connection status will be network without Internet access. We need to make sure that there is access to the Internet.
To do this, go to Control Panel. Network and Internet. Network and Sharing Center (or right-click on the Internet connection status in the tray and select “Network and Sharing Center”). Then select “Change adapter settings”.
Hold down the Ctrl key and select two connections. I have this Wireless Network Connection (through which the laptop is connected to the Internet) and Local Area Connection (this connection is used to connect the computer to the laptop via a cable).
Selecting these two connections and right-click on one of them. Selecting “Bridge Configuration”.
We are waiting a bit until the bridge settings are created and we have a new “Network Bridge” connection. And the two connections, wireless and LAN connection, should get the status “connected, connected”.
If during the creation of the Network Bridge a message appears that it is impossible to continue because one of the connections is configured to share the Internet, then do this:
Right click on one of the two connections and select Properties. Then go to the “Access” tab and see that there is no checkmark next to “Allow other network users to connect to the Internet.” If this checkbox is checked, then remove it. Also check another connection.
On a computer that is connected to a laptop via a network cable, the Internet should appear, at least everything worked for me. I updated the antivirus on my computer and I no longer needed the Network Bridge. If you also want to delete the Network Bridge, then just right-click on it and select “Delete”.
If you encounter problems during setup and connection, try disabling your antivirus. Very often they block all kinds of connections.
That’s all I wanted to tell you in this article. Perhaps my advice will be useful to you.
Can a laptop share wi fi
If you have Windows 7 or 8 installed, then you can try making a distribution using computer functions. To do this, click on the shortcut “Wireless network” and select “Properties”.
Now, we need to click on the “Access” button and put a checkmark “Allow other users to use the Internet connection”.
Don’t forget that now we need the command line. To do this, go to “Start”. “Standard”. “Command Line”.
In the line we will need to write the following code “netshwlanshowdrivers”. Just write it without quotes.
I have a Plasma distribution, since I write from a computer that even has a router. But this should be written if your distribution is supported:
Now that you have checked, through the command term, that all the rules are working, then you will need to write the following code “netshwlan set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = softhardware.Ru key = softhardware”, where ssid is the name of your network, and key is the password from your wai fay.
Well, if you have a network running on your laptop, then it will be able to distribute. The operation is very SIMple, as you can see, so it can be done in a couple of minutes, if, of course, you know what and where to register. I hope that I did not miss anything and the information was useful for you.
Best regards, Yuri Vatsenko!
All blog articles
Can a laptop share Wi-Fi
Hello everyone, Yuri is in touch and on this sunny day, I would like to write a post on whether the laptop can distribute wi fi. To be honest, I myself did not know about this topic until I dug a little on the Internet.
It turned out that it is possible, and there are different ways in which we will talk in this article, so read carefully and write your comments.
In fact, for this purpose it is better to use some kind of routers, even if you have to spend a little on them, but you can get a good Wi-Fi connection. And now, without such a network, it is very difficult, sometimes you sit in a cafe, and then they write you on Skype that you need to discuss this or that project.
In general, Wi-Fi is difficult to overestimate, since without it it is now very difficult for a modern person.
Method 1 consists precisely in buying this router. Well, if you spend 1500-2000 rubles, you will be able to distribute the Internet and get great respect from others. Well, I’m just kidding, I don’t know for what purpose you need to distribute, perhaps for yourself.
Method 2 is programs for distributing wi fi. Among which you can download for free such as: mHotspot, MyPublicWi-Fi, Connectify, virtual router plus, CommView for Wi-Fi, Inssider. Programs, as already said free, download, Install and start working on the Internet.
Method 3 is a little more complicated, it consists in the fact that you have to write commands on the command line. Yes, it turned out to be a tautology, but it is, if you do not know how this is done, then read this post carefully.
Can a laptop share Wi-Fi: 4 comments
Yuri, can you help me on Windows 10?
How exactly can you help? Email me what happened.
I have a netbook connected from a router via you-fi, why should I still distribute an Internet from it?
Well, xs, the very fact that you can do this is already good. And so, perhaps, through the netbook, the wi-fi signal will be stronger.
How to organize a distribution through the team term?
For people who don’t want to install additional applications on their PC, luckily Windows has a tool. The aLGorithm of actions consists of the following sequential steps:
- While holding “Win”, you need to name it “R” and type “ncpa.Cpl” in the displayed window;
- Then click “Ok”;
- A list of connections will be displayed, where you need to call the context menu from the wireless connection and then call it according to the line “Properties”;
- Then, in the window that appears, go to the “Access” tab;
- Place a check mark on the item providing access to other devices, use the connection to the global network of your laptop or PC;
- Then click “Ok”;
- Open command term with extended rights;
- Type “netsh wlan show drivers” and press Enter. Make sure that the network is supported (if not, it is recommended to install the original drivers from the hardware manufacturer’s resource. Wi-Fi device);
- Next, enter “netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = (print your name here) key = (print your password on Wi-Fi here)” and press “Enter”;
- If a positive resolution message appears, then you can type: “netsh wlan start hostednetwork” and click “Enter”;
- Your network is now active;
- In order to determine the state of the network and other parameters, type in the console: “netsh wlan show hostednetwork”;
- All! Now, already knowing the access code to the created wireless network, you can connect to the Internet from any gadget that has the appropriate function;
- If you want to stop distributing Wi-Fi, then you need to type “netsh wlan stop hostednetwork” and call “Enter” or restart the PC.
With the introduction of applications
There are a significant number of applications designed specifically for organizing the distribution of a wireless signal from laptops, but, unfortunately, most of them are packed with unnecessary and sometimes harmful additions in the form of ads and programs that are embedded in startup. Below are the proven utilities, the installation of which will NOT entail negative consequences for the user and his computer.
Is your PC equipped with a Wi-Fi device?
The first and most important condition for the successful completion of the task is to make sure exactly whether the PC can distribute a wireless Wi-Fi signal without using a separate router. As noted above, for this it must be equipped with a special device. To do this, you need to perform the following SIMple sequence of actions:
- Open the “Network and Sharing Center”;
- Then go to the “Change adapter settings” tab;
- If there is a shortcut with the name “Wireless connection”, then everything is fine with you and you can continue to study this manual (the connection, if inactive, then it must be activated)
If the last third condition in the user was not with a satisfactory solution, then how to improve a laptop or PC that is not equipped with special factory wireless adapters so that it can also perceive and distribute a Wi-Fi signal? And the answer is very SIMple. If there is no Wi-Fi device, it must be installed.
For example, in stationary PCs, this adapter with an external antenna looks like this:
There are also universal devices suitable for both types of computers, made outwardly SIMilar to a USB flash drive. these are the so-called “USB Wi-Fi adapters”.
Several steps are required:
- Through “Start” enter the “Control Panel”;
- Then go to the “Wireless Network Wizard”;
- In the displayed menu, they will call “Next”;
- Specify the name of the network. Check the boxes “Manually assign network key” and “Use WPA encryption.”;
- Name “Next”;
- After that, enter your Wi-Fi access code and click “Next”;
- Specify “Set network manually”;
- All! You can start using.
Using Windows tools
The toolkit in Windows XP, 7, 8 and 10 successfully copes with the solution of the problem under consideration.
Can a regular laptop share Wi-Fi without using a router
Currently, more compact and almost not inferior in functionality, laptops are quickly pushing out of their homes and apartments users of stationary computers. In addition to laptops and netbooks, there are usually many different devices and mobile devices in the house that have the Wi-Fi function, so most users, before buying a router, think about the urgent question: “Can a laptop distribute Wi-Fi without a router?” It is necessary to immediately answer this, that it may well be Wi-Fi and, moreover, it is quite effective for home use conditions.
However, it is not enough for a user to just be able to make a wireless Wi-Fi router out of a laptop, and he also needs to know how to do it. Below are detailed instructions on how to use a laptop as source of a wireless signal, but these same guidelines are quite applicable when organizing the distribution of Wi-Fi, using a stationary computer equipped with a special adapter. Of course, there is an important condition. the PC itself must have a connection to the World Wide Web via a mobile network or wired.
- Is your PC equipped with a Wi-Fi device?
- How to organize a distribution through the team term?
- With the introduction of applications
- Connectify Hotspot
- Using Windows tools
- Windows XP
- Windows 7, 8 and 10
- Common Difficulties When Creating a Wireless Network
Windows 7, 8 and 10
It is required to perform the following actions:
- Log in to the “Network or Sharing Center”;
- Name “Setting up a new connection or network”;
- Click “Configure PC-PC wireless network”;
- Indicate your code and name of the Wi-Fi;
- Then, in the “Network and Sharing Center” menu, click “Change adapter settings”;
- In the next displayed menu on the connection, call the context menu and enter the “Properties”;
- And in the next menu in the “Access” tabs, allow the use of the network to other users.
This application is already paid, but there is also a free version at www.Connectify.Me/hotspot. Works in all Windows. Despite the excellent functionality, it has a couple of drawbacks, since By default, it is immediately introduced into the list of automatically launched utilities when the OS boots, and also SIMultaneously installs an application that is completely NOT necessary for ordinary users, which, although harmless, sometimes bothers, asks to register it.
To work with it, you must perform the following steps:
- Open the application and name “Next” in the displayed menu;
- Then do nothing in the window that appears, immediately click “Use Hotspot Lite” and in the next menu they will SIMilarly call the same button. Only after THESE actions will the utility menu open;
- Then you need to configure. For this purpose, in the “Password” section, create and enter your own code, and in the “Internet to Share” specify the connection;
- This will be called “Start Hotspot”;
- An advertising message will be displayed, you just need to close it and then start using the network.
This free app works great on Windows 7, 8 and 10. You need to do the following:
- I downloaded from “www.Mypublicwi-Fi.com/publicWi-Fi/en/index.html” and after installing the utility, the laptop or PC must be restarted;
- Then you must open the application with administrator rights;
- In the opened main menu of the utility, you need to specify the name of the network and the access code;
- Then specify what to broadcast on Wi-Fi and click “Set up and Start Hotspot”.
Creation of Wi-Fi access through the command term
To connect your phone to the Internet via a laptop, that is, using a virtual router, you can also use the command term. This procedure may seem complicated to an inexperienced user, however, by strictly following the instructions, you will be able to turn on the wi-fi point in just a few minutes.
To start distributing Wi-Fi from laptop to phone, you need:
- Enter the command entry mode as administrator. To do this, in the “Search” line (called using the WinQ keys), enter “Command line” or cmd. In the drop-down list, click RMB on the corresponding line and select “Run as administrator”.
- Initialize the Wi-Fi network using the first command shown in the image. In it, the TestShare parameter designates the name of the future network, and the numbers in order are the input password (at least 8 characters). The second command on the list can start the registered network, and the last one can stop it.
To distribute the Internet via a laptop to a phone or other device, you need to enable sharing to the newly created Wi-Fi point. To do this, go to the “Network Connections” section and call the properties of the network through which the Internet is connected to the laptop. After that, in the “Advanced” tab, put a “birdie” opposite the corresponding item, and in the drop-down list, select the name of the created virtual router.
Creating a wireless access point using the Windows menu
The easiest way to create a virtual router is to use the “Network Control Center.” function built into the OS. This requires:
- In the system tray, right-click on the WAN access icon and select the Required item.
- In the window that opens, activate the function “Create a new connection”, and then go to the section “Connecting to a Wi-Fi network manually” (“Setting up a PC-PC network”).
- Set the name of the future wireless network (for example, VirtualRouter), security type and access key. Using the security key, you can prevent third parties from connecting to the Wi-Fi. It is recommended to use WPA2-Personal for protection, which allows you to set a password of 8 characters or more. If your phone cannot find a WPA-2 protected network, try changing the encryption to WEP or abandon the password altogether.
- To create a Wi-Fi point, click “Next”.
After the virtual router is created, in order to successfully use the Internet through it, you may additionally need to enable public access. This is done as follows:
- We go to the “Network Control Center.” and calling the properties of the network through which the laptop is connected to the Internet.
- In the “Access” tab, check the item “Allow other users to use the Internet on this PC”.
- We select the device with which the phone or other device will be connected. In our case, access will be provided via Wi-Fi.
After all the steps have been completed, we turn on the Wi-Fi on the mobile gadget and start the search for available networks. In the drop-down list, select the network name that was specified when creating a virtual Wi-Fi router, and specify the specified key.
Creating a Wi-Fi hotspot via Connectify
The MyPublicWi-Fi utility may experience problems if the Internet to the laptop is not connected via a cable, but via a USB modem. In this case, it’s better to use the Connectify app. There is a paid and free version of this program. For periodic use, the second option is sufficient. To enable the distribution of Wi-Fi from computer to phone using Connectify, you must:
- Download and install software on a laptop.
- After the first launch of the utility, you may need to select its version. Lite or Pro. We mark the first option, since Pro is available only for users, paying about 45 for the program.
- The application menu is almost indistinguishable from MyPublicWi-Fi. Here you also need to register the name and password of the access point, indicate the source of the Internet and the interface through which the mobile phone will be connected. In the Sharing Mode line, you additionally need to specify the type of network: open or closed with authorization.
- To start distributing the Internet via Wi-Fi, click Start Hotspot.
Using a bat file
Creating a Wi-Fi access point through the command period is inconvenient because every time you turn off the PC, you need to re-register all the commands. Therefore, this method of turning a laptop into a router can only be used for a one-time Internet connection to the phone.
The execution of the above commands can be fully automated. To do this, you need to write a small script in a standard Windows text editor, and then save the document on the laptop desktop under any name in the Bat format. To start distributing Wi-Fi using a virtual router to your phone, you just need to run this document with administrator rights. An example script is shown in the figure, where YourSSID and YourPassword are the name of the wireless connection and the access key to it.
Creation of a virtual router through additional software
If none of the above methods helped to activate the distribution of the Internet on the phone, you can try to create a virtual Wi-Fi router using special software. There are a lot of such utilities on the network, but among them the most convenient are:
How to distribute Wi-Fi from a laptop
You can easily connect your phone, tablet or other device to the high-speed internet connected to your home through a Wi-Fi router (router). However, such a device is not always at hand (for example, you went to the country house, took a laptop and a wireless USB modem with you). In such cases, you can use the Internet on a mobile gadget through a laptop, entrusting it with the functions of a router. Let’s consider how to make a laptop a Wi-Fi hotspot.
Sharing Wi-Fi with MyPublicWi-Fi
This application is absolutely free and has a user-friendly interface, albeit in a foreign language. With it, you can make a Wi-Fi hotspot in just a few clicks:
- Download and install the utility on a laptop. The latest version of the program weighs about 1 MB, so there will be no problems with downloading.
- Run the application as administrator.
- The utility itself consists of three tabs: Setting, Clients and Management. In the first tab, you can specify the connection name (Network name), set the password (Network key) and select the connection that the laptop uses. Be sure to check the box “Enable Internet Sharing.” To start the virtual router, click LMB Set Up and Start Hotspot.
- In order for the program to automatically load after each start of the PC, go to the Management tab and select the Corresponding item. You may need to prohibit users of the created network from using the Download Master and mTorrent file sharing services. To do this, check the top box, as shown in the figure.
- To find out who is connected to your point, go to the Clients tab.
Ways to create a wireless access point
Any modern laptop is equipped with a wireless adapter, which can be used as a Wi-Fi router. To do this, you need to create a kind of virtual bridge connecting network equipment (Wi-Fi adapter and network card).
To get this routing, you can use the following tools:
- Standard Windows OS tools (graphical application “Network Control Center.”, command line or bat-file)
- Additional software.
Whichever method is chosen, the following conditions must be met:
- The laptop must be running Windows 7 or higher. In earlier versions of operating systems (for example, in Windows XP), support for Wi-Fi networks is implemented at a low level. Therefore, it is not a fact that you will be able to turn on the distribution of the Internet on old operating systems.
- The laptop must be equipped with a Wi-Fi adapter. To find out if a wireless adapter is installed on your computer, you can go to the “Device Manager” and in the “Network adapters” tab, see the required information. The Wi-Fi adapter is called the Wireless 802.11 type.
- The PC must have a wired or wireless internet connection.
Possible difficulties when creating a Wi-Fi access point
When creating a new Wi-Fi access point, users often encounter minor difficulties. The table shows the most common problems that can interfere with the distribution of the Internet from a laptop, and Possible solutions.
Virtual Router Plus
This is the easiest way to share Wi-Fi from your laptop. Download the program and run it. The menu is SIMple: only three fields. In the first, the name of the network is entered, in the second, the password (at least eight characters) and in the last section, select the method of distributing the Internet: Wi-Fi. That’s it, click on the “Start” button and enjoy the availability of Internet connection.
Ways to share Wi-Fi from a laptop
It is quite SIMple to use a laptop as a Wi-Fi access point, and the speed provided by using this device is sufficient for comfortable work on the Internet. It is possible to distribute via Wi-Fi from a laptop using:
- Windows built-in tools.
- Third party software.
There are a lot of programs that allow you to distribute via Wi-Fi from a laptop, but not all provide a high-quality connection. However, for certain tasks this is sufficient. In turn, to distribute a signal to “Windows” 7,8,10 from a laptop, Using the built-in tools, there are really only two ways.
It is also possible to distribute Wi-Fi from a computer, but in this case, a wireless adapter must be installed on it. It is rarely installed in the factory assembly, most often an external device is used. This adapter resembles a wireless mouse radio and provides a good Bluetooth and Wi-Fi signal.
Preparing the laptop
If the laptop is connected to the network via a Lan-cable and you need to distribute “Wi-Fi” from the laptop as a router, there is nothing difficult. The main thing is to create a regular connection so that the device itself has access to the Internet. You also need to check the functionality of the built-in network adapter.
It is easy to check the operation of the network cable. When it is connected to a laptop, the Internet Access icon appears in the lower right corner of the taskbar:
The main reason why the laptop does not distribute Wi-Fi and there is no Internet connection is a cable malfunction or its insufficiently tight contact with the socket. In this case, the icon looks like this:
After connecting the cable, it’s time to test the adapter’s operation. To do this, go to “My Computer”. This is done as follows: open the “Start” menu or click on the Windows button. Next, find the “Computer” button, they will call it. In the menu that opens, right-click in any free area and select the last item. “Properties”.
In the upper left corner, find the “Device Manager” section, click on it and find “Network adapters” in the list. The drop-down menu will display all installed. It is necessary to find a term where there is a reference to NetWork, for example:
Click on it with the right mouse button (RMB), if there is an item “Enable”, activate it, if there is such a comment, it means that it is already working and you can start setting up “wi-fay”.
The necessary virtual Wi-Fi access point for the laptop to SIMultaneously receive and distribute a signal, in this case by Windows 7 (and any other “Windows” will not be able to cope), needs advanced software. You can go a more trivial way and install an additional removable adapter, but further it will be told how to do without unnecessary costs, using special software.
After downloading and installing this program, run it as administrator in windows and proceed to the configuration step. The standard menu is used here, as in previous programs. One difference: in the last column, you can select the maximum number of users, they can connect to the network. The program creates Wi-Fi, Using only a Lan-cable as an Internet connection, but it allows you to both distribute the Internet from a computer to a phone, and to another laptop without problems and very quickly.
Security when distributing Wi-Fi from a laptop
To protect your personal data and isolate yourself from unwanted “parasites”, you need to set a good password on the Wi-Fi system. For this, it is not recommended to choose standard examples available on the Internet, but to come up with your own from eight or more characters. It is also desirable that the key contains letters and numbers mixed.
In addition, when thinking about a password in the listed programs, you can choose an encryption code. Most secure. WPA 2.
Ways to quickly distribute Wi-Fi from laptop and PC
There are times when it becomes necessary to access the Internet from a phone or tablet, but, as luck would have it, there is not a single Wi-Fi network at hand. In this case, it is not necessary to buy traffic or look for a free access point. Advanced users and “IT specialists” know how to distribute Wi-Fi from a laptop and computer if an adapter is installed on it. We hope these methods will help everyone else quickly start distributing Wi-Fi without a router and provide themselves with a stable connection.
Sharing Wi-Fi with Built-in Tools
The first way to make a Wi-Fi hotspot on a laptop is very SIMple and appeared in Windows 10 systems older than 1607. This all happens in the graphical menu and without using commands.
First you need to open the “Start” menu, found on the left in the “Options” column. Open it and launch “Network and Internet”. Among the list of suggested options, find and open the “Mobile Hotspot”. Then it will immediately turn it on by dragging the slider, or click on the “Change” button and enter your own password and the name of the future connection. Everything, after that the point will work. The answer to the question of how to properly distribute Wi-Fi on a laptop has been found.
Distribution of Wi-Fi using programs
If during the creation of the Windows 7 Wi-Fi access point difficulties arose and the system does not work, you can look for the cause for a very long time. Easier to use programs. They automatically connect all services, start the virtual router manager, so that the user practically does not have to do anything. Also, some programs from the laptop “create” a repeater. It turns out like this: in order for it to distribute Wi-Fi, it is not necessary to have a computer connection via a Lan-cable. You can distribute the Internet and at the same time receive it yourself via Wi-Fi from a second laptop or even a phone. But, of course, not every free version of the application provides such an opportunity.
Sharing Wi-Fi using the command line and netsh
The second way to distribute the Internet from a laptop is to use the built-in Windows tools. They are also called. Wireless Hosted Network, they are on all versions, starting with the “seven”. Guided by this instruction, using the command line, it is also possible to distribute Wi-Fi on a laptop.
To get started, go to the Windows menu and enter “cmd” in the lower window “Find programs and files”, in the proposed programs you can see one single entry: “cmd.Exe”. Right click on it and run as administrator. In the black window that opens, copy and paste the following command: netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = “1111” key = “11111111” keyUsage = persistent.
Where 1111 is the network name and eight ones is the Wi-Fi password. This data can be changed to more familiar to the user, the main thing is that the password should consist of eight or more characters.
This is the core team of distributing Wi-Fi through the team term. If everything is done correctly, an entry will appear informing that the Virtual Wi-Fi network has been created:
It remains only to launch a virtual network so that the laptop distributes Wi-Fi. To do this, copy and enter another command: netsh wlan start hostednetwork. On successful launch, you can see that the Hosted Network is running.
If after all that has been done, the Internet does not work when distributing from a laptop, you must additionally enable the virtual adapter created by the system. It usually starts automatically, but there are bugs as well. It is used so that you can connect to the created Wi-Fi from second laptops and from Android. To do this, go to the “Device Manager”, in the “Network adapters” section and enable the virtual adapter that appears in the list. How to turn adapters on and off is described above. Only now our adapter has a specific name. Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter.
If you decide to enable the Wi-Fi hotspot on a laptop where Windows 10 is installed, you need to check if sharing is enabled. To do this, click the PMK on the “Start” window, find “Network connections”, click on them PMK, go to the “Properties” tab, “Access” and set both checkboxes in the menu so that everything uses the connection.