Setting up a laptop that will distribute Wi-Fi
First, let’s configure the access point. ASUS K56cm laptop, which will distribute Wi-Fi, I already have an Internet connection.
And on the notification panel, the status of the Internet connection should look like this:
If everything is like mine, then you can start setting up the connection.
Connecting the laptop to the created wireless connection
Turn on Wi-Fi on the laptop and click on the status of the Internet connection in the notification panel. As you can see in the screenshot below, there is our network, which I named “f1comp”. Click on it, then click on the “Connect” button.
A window will appear asking for the security key for the network that we created above. Enter the password, if you set it, and click “OK”.
Attention! At this moment, a window will appear on the computer that distributes the Internet, in which you need to select “Public network”. You can also select “Home Network”, but when I selected “Home Network” my laptop did not connect to the Internet, but this is most likely due to the fact that NOD32 Smart Security 6 blocked the connection.
Then on the laptop that we connect to the Internet, I have this Toshiba, the status should appear that the laptop is connected to the “f1comp” network we created and there is access to the Internet.
All friends, this is a victory :)! We just turned a laptop into a Wi-Fi router and connected another laptop to it.
Setting up a computer-to-computer connection
We continue to configure the laptop, which we will use as an access point. We need to create a connection to which another device will connect.
Right click on the Internet connection status and select “Network and Sharing Center”.
On the left click on “Manage wireless networks”.
Click the Add button.
Choose Create a computer-to-computer network. Such a connection can be used Not only to connect to the Internet, but also to create a regular local area network via Wi-Fi, for example, to exchange files. I wrote about how to set up a local network via a router in the article How to set up a local network via a Wi-Fi router? Detailed instructions on the example of TP-Link TL-WR841N.
In the next window, you can familiarize yourself with the functions of this connection, and click “Next”.
Next, we need to specify the name of the network. This name (SSID) will be displayed on devices that will connect to this access point. You can specify the name you want.
If you want your network to be password protected, then I advise you to leave WPA2-Personal. If you want the network to be open, then select “All authentication”.
Security key. enter the password for the Wi-Fi network. Just choose harder than mine # 128578; I am so, for example.
I advise you to check the box next to “Save this network settings”. Click “Next”.
Next, we see information about the network we created, namely the name and password (although it is hidden). But the most important thing that we need to do in this window is to click the button “Enable Internet Connection Sharing.” If you do not click this button, then when you connect to the network on this laptop, there will be only a local network, and the Internet on the connected devices will not work.
As you will see the inscription “Internet Connection Sharing is enabled”, the window can be closed.
Our laptop, which will distribute the Internet, we have configured. Now let’s try to connect another laptop to it, I have this Toshiba Satellite L300.
We use a laptop as an Internet access point (Wi-Fi router). Setting up a computer-to-computer Wi-Fi connection
Hey. Recently I saw a comment on the site asking how to use a laptop as a Wi-Fi router. The laptop is connected to the Internet via cable and how to make it so that it distributes the Internet via Wi-Fi to other devices.
After seeing this comment, and remembering that it is indeed possible to create a computer-to-computer connection over Wi-Fi, I decided that this is a great topic for a new article. Here is the comment itself:
In general, I want to use the laptop as a Wi-Fi router (the laptop itself is connected via a regular cable). Through a computer-to-computer connection, I want to connect a beech to it, so that I can use the Internet on a laptop and on a beech comment. Is this possible? The problem is that I connected everything and the icon on the taskbar shows on the netbook that there is Internet access. But when I open the browser (I have an explorer and google chrome), then it does not enter the Internet, and I cannot understand what the problem is??
Really good question, which probably interests many. For example, you have a laptop with Wi-Fi connected to the Internet via cable. For example, you have another laptop or netbook. And you want to connect your new device to the Internet via Wi-Fi. You don’t have a Wi-Fi router yet, well, you haven’t bought it yet, or you don’t want to install and configure it at all.
In such a situation, you can use a laptop connected to the Internet as a Wi-Fi router (access point). Wi-Fi adapter, which is in Notebook, can work Not only for reception, but also distribute a signal. You just need to make some settings, create a “computer-to-computer” connection and the laptop will distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi.
Tested and working!
For the experiment and quality of this article, I have two laptops ASUS K56cm and Toshiba Satellite L300. Connect ASUS to the Internet via cable, it will distribute the Internet with us, it will play the role of a Wi-Fi router. And we will connect the Toshiba laptop to ASUS via Wi-Fi and use the Internet on it. over, on a laptop, which will work as an access point, the Internet should also work. Let’s get down to business.
As you probably understood, I wrote this article (like almost everything on this site) and SIMultaneously performed the settings on two laptops. So all the information has been tested in practice. As you can see, everything worked for me, and I hope that you also learned everything from you.
As always, you can leave your questions in the comments to this article. Good luck.
How to share Wi-Fi from a laptop?
There are a number of specific rules for how to distribute the Internet from a laptop. There are three ways in total, and each of them has its own disadvantages and advantages.
The first method (the most expensive) is to purchase a router. In this case, you will be able to establish independent Internet access via a smartphone, and not depending on the operation of a laptop. But when setting up a purchased router for an Internet provider, users may encounter a number of problems.
The second way is to use a Wi-Fi adapter in AP mode. Unfortunately, it is not always available and difficulties may arise when setting up the Internet.
The third method. using Wi-Fi in AdHoc mode. has SIMilar disadvantages.
How to distribute Wi-Fi via a laptop without a router?
The question of whether a laptop can share Wi-Fi without using a router is very popular among users. Is it possible to do without, it would seem, the main element in the formation of a home network? It turns out, yes. You just need to know the methods and apply them correctly.
Method number 1
You can distribute the Internet from a regular laptop with a Wi-Fi module using a special program called “Connectify”. In this case, you do NOT need to install a virtual router, and the setup process will take you a few minutes. The program must be downloaded, installed and run. After launch, a hotspot is set and, if necessary, a password. Since the connection is protected by WEP2, it is not necessary to set a password. After that, specify the Internet source for the PC operating system. To do this, go to “Properties” and select the network you created.
Generally, you should focus on Local Connection 2 or Local Area Connection. The Connections pane will display “Available Connection”. The program also reflects the Internet distribution process. Now you know one way how to distribute Wi-Fi from a computer.
How to distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi from a laptop
What if you have a router at home, but you have cable internet and a laptop, and you want to use Wi-Fi from your smartphone? How to distribute the Internet over Wi-Fi? To access the Internet from your phone, you do not have to purchase a router for this. An ordinary laptop can act as an access point.
Unfortunately, this method has a drawback. the network created in this way is unlikely to have a long range. But this situation can be easily resolved by purchasing a special Wi-Fi amplifier.
Method number 2
Here, too, you will NOT do without the use of special software. But this time you will need to download the Mhotspot program. Its advantage is that the installation is not necessary. the application is SIMply downloaded and launched.
When you open the program, a window with three buttons will appear. First, click on the “SetupHotspot” button to configure the access point. Then fill in the required fields: the name of the access point (it will be displayed when searching for networks) and the password (at least eight characters long). If you do NOT want anyone to use the network you created, you must protect it with a password. Click “OK” to save the changes, and then the “Start” button to create an access point.
How to share Wi-Fi over the created connection
But that’s not all. Now let’s figure out how to distribute Wi-Fi through the created connection. To do this, you need to go to the Network and Sharing Center in the Network and Internet section of the Control Panel and select the Change adapter settings section. Find there an icon with the name “Wireless Network Connection 2” and hover over it. When you do this, you should see a tooltip with the text “Microsoft Virtual Wi-Fi Miniport Adapter”. If you want, for convenience, you can rename the connection, for example, “VirtualWi-Fi”. Then find the active connection, open its properties, go to the “Access” tab and check the two boxes. That’s all you need to do, the hotspot is ready to connect from your smartphone.
Now you know how to distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi using a laptop and you can safely use the Internet from your smartphone without installing an expensive router. It turned out that this is not nearly as difficult as it seemed at first glance. If you already use a router at home, then this method may be useful to you on a trip, in the country or in any other place where there is a wired Internet, but there are problems with finding a Wi-Fi access point.
Windows 7, 8 and 10
It is required to perform the following actions:
- Log in to the “Network or Sharing Center”;
- Name “Setting up a new connection or network”;
- Click “Configure PC-PC wireless network”;
- Indicate your code and name of the Wi-Fi;
- Then, in the “Network and Sharing Center” menu, click “Change adapter settings”;
- In the next displayed menu on the connection, call the context menu and enter the “Properties”;
- And in the next menu in the “Access” tabs, allow the use of the network to other users.
Using the Network and Sharing Center
The first way is to directly create a wireless access point through integration with the graphical component of the operating system. To put it SIMply, we will create an access point from a laptop using the Network and Sharing Center. To do this, do the following:
- Find the Network icon in the Start Taskbar, right-click on it and select “Network and Sharing Center”.
- Select “Create and configure a new connection or network”.
- Then select “Connect to a wireless network manually”.
After you have done the above, you should see the “Connect to a wireless network manually” window in which you will need to set various parameters for a new connection:
- Network name: you can put any name that just comes to your mind.
- Security type: usually set to WPA2-Personal.
- Security Key: This is your password for the wireless hotspot.
Once you fill in all the fields, click on the “Next” button. After that, you will be able to distribute Wi-Fi from your laptop. However, before that, you need to take one more small step. Open Sharing. To do this, do the following:
- Go to the “Network and Sharing Center” again.
- Go to the properties of the network through which you have access to the Internet.
- Then go to the “Access” tab.
- Check the box next to “Allow other network users to use this computer’s Internet connection”.
- Then we set the parameter “Connecting home network. Wi-Fi” and click OK.
That’s all. No software for distributing Wi-Fi from a laptop is required at all. If the above method did not help you in solving an urgent issue, which is rather strange, then you can do the same, but only through the Command term.
Common Difficulties When Creating a Wireless Network
Often, when organizing a Wi-Fi access point, people face the following difficulties:
- If a message appears stating that the wireless network cannot be started, it is recommended to update the hardware software from the official resource of the company that released the wireless adapter;
- If some mobile gadgets cannot get a connection with the created Wi-Fi, then you need to check the settings of the antivirus utility and firewall, which often SIMply block access.
This application is already paid, but there is also a free version at www.Connectify.Me/hotspot. Works in all Windows. Despite the excellent functionality, it has a couple of drawbacks, since By default, it is immediately introduced into the list of automatically launched utilities when the OS boots, and also SIMultaneously installs an application that is completely NOT necessary for ordinary users, which, although harmless, sometimes bothers, asks to register it.
To work with it, you must perform the following steps:
- Open the application and name “Next” in the displayed menu;
- Then do nothing in the window that appears, immediately click “Use Hotspot Lite” and in the next menu they will SIMilarly call the same button. Only after THESE actions will the utility menu open;
- Then you need to configure. For this purpose, in the “Password” section, create and enter your own code, and in the “Internet to Share” specify the connection;
- This will be called “Start Hotspot”;
- An advertising message will be displayed, you just need to close it and then start using the network.
Is your PC equipped with a Wi-Fi device?
The first and most important condition for the successful completion of the task is to make sure exactly whether the PC can distribute a wireless Wi-Fi signal without using a separate router. As noted above, for this it must be equipped with a special device. To do this, you need to perform the following SIMple sequence of actions:
- Open the “Network and Sharing Center”;
- Then go to the “Change adapter settings” tab;
- If there is a shortcut with the name “Wireless connection”, then everything is fine with you and you can continue to study this manual (the connection, if inactive, then it must be activated)
If the last third condition in the user was not with a satisfactory solution, then how to improve a laptop or PC that is not equipped with special factory wireless adapters so that it can also perceive and distribute a Wi-Fi signal? And the answer is very SIMple. If there is no Wi-Fi device, it must be installed.
For example, in stationary PCs, this adapter with an external antenna looks like this:
There are also universal devices suitable for both types of computers, made outwardly SIMilar to a USB flash drive. these are the so-called “USB Wi-Fi adapters”.
How to organize a distribution through the team term?
For people who don’t want to install additional applications on their PC, luckily Windows has a tool. The aLGorithm of actions consists of the following sequential steps:
- While holding “Win”, you need to name it “R” and type “ncpa.Cpl” in the displayed window;
- Then click “Ok”;
- A list of connections will be displayed, where you need to call the context menu from the wireless connection and then call it according to the line “Properties”;
- Then, in the window that appears, go to the “Access” tab;
- Place a check mark on the item providing access to other devices, use the connection to the global network of your laptop or PC;
- Then click “Ok”;
- Open command term with extended rights;
- Type “netsh wlan show drivers” and press Enter. Make sure that the network is supported (if not, it is recommended to install the original drivers from the hardware manufacturer’s resource. Wi-Fi device);
- Next, enter “netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = (print your name here) key = (print your password on Wi-Fi here)” and press “Enter”;
- If a positive resolution message appears, then you can type: “netsh wlan start hostednetwork” and click “Enter”;
- Your network is now active;
- In order to determine the state of the network and other parameters, type in the console: “netsh wlan show hostednetwork”;
- All! Now, already knowing the access code to the created wireless network, you can connect to the Internet from any gadget that has the appropriate function;
- If you want to stop distributing Wi-Fi, then you need to type “netsh wlan stop hostednetwork” and call “Enter” or restart the PC.
How to share Wi-Fi from a laptop?
If you don’t have a Wi-Fi router, but you want to have wireless Internet at home, then you have come to the correct link. In this article we will answer two main questions: “Can the laptop share Wi-Fi?” and if so, “How to distribute Wi-Fi from a laptop?”.
We will immediately answer the first question and will NOT delay. yes, your laptop is capable of playing the role of a Wi-Fi router, and quite successfully. And you do not have to download any third-party utilities or programs for this, since you can do only with Windows system forces. So, let’s begin.
There are several ways to create a Wi-Fi hotspot from your laptop, but we will consider only two of them, since it is with them that you will achieve the result you need with a 100% guarantee.
Using Windows tools
The toolkit in Windows XP, 7, 8 and 10 successfully copes with the solution of the problem under consideration.
No Special Programs
The good thing about this method is that it does NOT require installing any additional software. But there is also a drawback: you have to tinker. In order for the laptop to start distributing the Internet, you should do the following:
- In Windows 7, click “Start”, enter in the search bar: cmd. A list of results will appear, among which you need to find the “Command line” item. RMB will name it (right-click) and run as administrator. In a newer version of the OS, everything is easier: click on the icon with the operating system logo, and then find the “Command line” item.
- Next, you need to copy the following code into the input field: netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = “My Wi-Fi Name” key = “password” keyUsage = persistent.
- In this case, My Wi-Fi Name must be changed to any other connection name, and password. to a password of 8 characters. Latin letters and numbers are allowed. To continue, you need to press the enter key. Next, the system will display a message about the successful completion of the operation.
- Then you need to write the following line: netsh wlan start hostednetwork. Then press Enter again.
- To open the directory with available connections, you need to call the menu with the WinR key combination, enter: ncpa.Cpl. After the work done, an icon with a new wireless network should appear there. Now you need to call the context menu by right-clicking on the connection icon, then go to Properties.
- In the “Access” tab, give consent to all users (tick the corresponding item). In the same window, find the newly created connection. Save changes and close the window.
After that, wi-fi will begin to be heard. To stop the process, you need to register: netsh wlan stop hostednetwork.
After the computer is turned off and on again, the work will have to be done again. It is possible to automate the process. For this you need:
- Open Notepad.
- Put there a term with the network name and password, added the following code: netsh wlan start hostednetwork.
- Save the file added at the end of the name. Cmd.
- Open folder with startup.
- Copy into it Saved file.
Now the laptop will broadcast Wi-Fi automatically every time you turn it on.
How to make a laptop share Wi-Fi?
If everything is in order with the adapter, and the hardware capabilities of this PC allow you to create a wireless access point based on a computer, then you can force the laptop to distribute Wi-Fi in three different ways:
- – through the “Network and Sharing Center”;
- – using the command line;
- – using special software (via the Connectify program, etc.)
In this article, we will look at how to distribute Wi-Fi from a laptop without programs, i.e. By manually configuring windows 7.
Your Setevichok. Everything in local networks and network equipment
Can a laptop share Wi-Fi without a router?
As you know, the “classic” way to create a wireless access point is to connect additional network equipment. a router, which will be a kind of connecting link between all nodes of the local network.
But sometimes you need to “share the Internet” directly or organize wireless file sharing between Several devices with minimal financial costs.
And in this article we will analyze how to make a laptop distribute Wi-Fi without a router, and what Windows 7 setup is required to connect to the Internet.
As a rule, the need to distribute Wi-Fi from a laptop arises when connecting to the world wide network via a USB modem or working with wireless peripheral devices (connection to laptop Wi-Fi Printer etc.).
However, not every modern laptop is capable of such a network feat: This function directly depends on the capabilities of your PC’s network card.
Finding out if a laptop can distribute Wi-Fi without a router is easiest using the “command line”. To do this, go to “Start”. Execute. “СMD”, in the window that opens, enter the command netsh wlan show drivers and press the “Enter” key (for Windows XP / Windows 7).
If the command “passes” without errors, then find the line “Hosted Network”, which characterizes the ability of your laptop to distribute Wi-Fi.
How to distribute wired internet from a laptop to another computer?
The easiest way to make a laptop share Wi-Fi is to create a new network through the “Control Center” on windows 7 OS.
So, to distribute Wi-Fi without a router via a laptop:
1. Go to the “Start” menu. “Control Panel”. “Network and Internet” in the subsection “Network and Sharing Center”.
2. Select in the main window the item “Setting up a new connection or network”.
3. In the window that opens, select “Configure the wireless network computer-computer”, click “Next” and again “Next” (in the information section).
4. In the next window, enter the settings for the new local network:
- – Network name (SSID). the name of the Wi-Fi access point, which will be reflected in the “search for available connections” of the second computers;
- – Security type. choose “standard option” WPA2-Personal;
- – Security key. a unique password for connecting to the local network.
Set the marker to “Save this network parameters” and click “Next”.
5. In the new window, click “Enable Internet Connection Sharing” and close the wireless network setup wizard.
Now the laptop is able to distribute the Internet and exchange information with other computers. To connect to Wi-Fi on a third-party PC, just go to the “Network Control Center”, select the desired access point by SSID and enter the installed Authentication data.
Unfortunately, this is far from a universal method, since in most cases it is required to distribute Wi-Fi from a laptop to various android devices (in order to save mobile traffic) or connect to peripheral functional nodes (network printer, etc.).
How to share Wi-Fi over a laptop on Android?
In addition to the above method, you can share Wi-Fi from a laptop using the command line. The advantage of such a connection is that you can distribute the Internet without being tied to the operating system of the receiving device: to a tablet, phone, etc.
So, for a Windows laptop to distribute Wi-Fi, you need:
Netsh WLAN set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = “your network name” key = “password”
(For example, netsh WLAN set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = “setka” key = “horowiikluch”)
To create a new wireless access point.
(If this operation is successful, a system message will appear: “Hosted network started”)
In the window that opens:
After following these instructions, on all computers within the Wi-Fi range of your laptop, when “searching for available wireless connections”, a new access point with the SSID you specified will appear.
How to Share Wi-Fi from Computer to Phone via Command Timeline?
To distribute the Internet from a computer to a phone via Wi-Fi:
- – a notification about the successful placement of the network you created (“MyNewNetwork”) will appear;
- – in the “Device Manager” (“My Computer”. “Management”) there will be a device named “Microsoft Virtual Wi-Fi Mini-Port Adapter”;
- – Click on the created connection and open “Property”. “Access”;
- – set both options to share and select a new connection from the list.
To enable the network, open Command Prompt again and enter “netsh wlan start hostednetwork”.
This command must be entered every time the computer is turned on. by the very same you determine when to GRANT access to your network.
To disable. “netsh wlan stop hostednetwork”.
To change the username or password. “netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid =” Wi-FiNewName “key =” New password “keyUsage = persistent”.
For password recovery. “netsh wlan show hostednetwork setting = security”.
In addition, to SIMplify the connection of the phone via Wi-Fi to the computer, you can make a mini-utility that will contain a command to start the network:
Bat files, and especially Vbs files, require an enabled English keyboard layout.
However, such a network has a significant drawback: the computer will distribute Wi-Fi to the phone and other devices only in the “active” mode of operation, but the network will become unavailable even if the PC SIMply goes to sleep. Therefore, it is recommended to immediately turn off the “Hibernation” mode.
Your Setevichok. How to distribute Wi-Fi from computer to phone via Windows 7 interface?
To begin with, let’s analyze the option with a Wi-Fi connection using Windows 7: This is the SIMplest and most versatile way to create a network between a computer and a phone.
- – To transfer files from computer to phone via Wi-Fi, the PC must have an active internet connection;
- – Create a new connection “Wireless network computer-computer”;
- – Fill in the name of the network (let’s call it “MyNewNetwork” for example), security type (WPA2. PSK) and a key (create a password) for the created network, and click “Save settings”. “Next”;
- – Click Turn On Connection Sharing. This completes the transformation of the computer into an access point. In the “Sharing Options” section, set “enable” on all required items
Now from your phone Search for available Wi-Fi points, find the network you created (“MyNewNetwork”) and Connect to it by entering the security key.
How to connect a phone to a computer via Wi-Fi?
Connecting your phone to a computer via Wi-Fi can significantly save expensive 3G traffic and create your own wireless network even without access to a router. And in this article we will look at how to distribute Wi-Fi from a computer to a phone, as well as touch on the technical features of such a non-standard Wi-Fi network.
So, among the most common ways to connect a phone to a computer via Wi-Fi, we can mention creating a Wi-Fi connection using Windows tools and using the command line. By the way, the computer here acts Not only as an access point, but also as a repeater.
How to connect a phone to a computer via Wi-Fi: automatic network operation
You can also configure automatic turning on and off the network if the Internet needs to be distributed for a limited time.
Create a 2.Bat file: one with the on command, and the other, respectively, with the off. For this:
- – “Start”. “Control Panel”. “System and its maintenance”. “Administrative Tools”. “Task Scheduler” (or maybe “Scheduled Tasks”);
- – Set your own task for each file (enable / disable): let’s say that you will have Internet distribution every day from 12:00, and the second file with a shutdown will be launched every day at 16:00.
Sometimes there is an error “Failed to connect to the network.” or it just goes “permanent” get IP address without internet access.
The reason that Wi-Fi does not work on the phone (but on the computer does) may be: