The laptop is frozen. What to do? How to restart a laptop if it freezes
User laptop stuck? What to do? We will have to answer this question further. After all, every user can face a freeze of the operating system. Often, in the case of laptops, you can reboot the PC using a more extensive list of techniques. They will be discussed further. Unfortunately, restarting the OS in case of glitches is not always safe. And this must be taken into account first of all. Therefore, we will try to study safer overloading techniques first.
Laptop frozen and WON’T turn off? The following advice may be suitable for users who work with laptops without batteries, that is, with the battery disconnected.
If the computer cannot be restarted, it must be turned off. Disconnecting the laptop from the power source is NOT the best, but very effective method.
In SIMple terms, the user SIMply has to remove the power cord from the laptop. If the laptop was initially NOT connected to the battery, an emergency shutdown of the OS will occur.
Attention: this technique is used in extreme cases. It can cause quite serious damage to the computer and the operating system in general.
This does NOT mean at all that turning off the power of the laptop is contraindicated. Sometimes this approach is the only method to solve the auto products problem. Therefore, every modern user should know about it.
How do I restart my laptop if it freezes? Sometimes it happens that the operating system stops responding to any user actions. In this case, as a rule, a reboot does not help. I have to emergency shutdown the laptop.
You can also do this in several ways. We found out why the laptop freezes. Regardless of the reason for the “glitches”, in some cases, the user must emergency shutdown with the OS. To do this, just press the laptop power button and hold it in this position for a few seconds (5-10).
What will happen? The computer will be emergency shutdown. After enabling it, the user will be offered several options for loading the operating system. For example, in safe mode and normal.
Coming to help
What if my laptop has a black screen? The previously listed techniques will help to correct the situation. But what if they did NOT work?
Under certain circumstances, users can try to shutdown the laptop like this:
- Disconnect the power cord.
- Upside down laptop.
- Disconnect the battery from the main body.
- Insert it back.
It is done! After the above steps, the user can turn on the computer again. This technique is not relevant for all laptops. It is not suitable for devices whose batteries are NOT removable. Therefore, removing the battery does not always help to get rid of glitches and freezes.
Sources of problems
Laptop problems can happen at any time. As a rule, this leads to slow operation of the OS, and then to a complete freeze of the computer.
The most common causes of “glitches” are the following factors:
- Software incompatibility;
- Lack of RAM;
- Processor load;
- System crashes;
- Incorrectly installed operating system;
- Downed OS settings.
Often, a rollback of the system or an increase in RAM helps to correct the situation. But first you have to turn off your PC. Laptop freeze? What to do? How do I reboot or shut down my laptop? All possible scenarios will be discussed below.
If the computer “stalled” and does NOT restart in the usual way, you must force restart the OS. This is a normal phenomenon, the technique is used in practice quite often.
You need to act like this:
- Press Ctrl Alt Del on the keyboard.
- In the lower right corner, click on the arrow button. Next to it there will be an image of shutting down the PC.
- Select the “Restart” function in the menu that appears.
It is done. In fact, everything is not as difficult as it seems. And now it is clear what to do if the laptop has a black screen or a SIMple freeze. But this is just the beginning. There are actually several other ways to deal with laptop glitches.
Reboot without shutting down
Laptop freeze? What to do? If the operating system is still responsive to user input, you can try to restart without shutting down the computer. This practice exists, but it is not used very often.
So, it is proposed to act like this:
- Open the functional menu in any way (through “Start” or Ctrl Alt Del).
- Select the “Logout” option.
- Wait a while.
So users can re-enter the operating system without shutting down the computer. Although, as practice shows, exiting the OS is rarely used in practice.
Old OS and reboot
We managed to find out why the laptop freezes. And we also had to familiarize ourselves with the main ways of reloading the OS. How exactly to proceed? Each user decides on his own, taking into account the auto goods situation.
Laptop freeze? What to do? For older operating systems, you can only restart your computer using the keyboard. Not always, but very often.
The user just needs to press Ctrl Alt Del several times (with short pauses). After that, an Emergency PC restart will be performed.
Eating and waiting
How to restart a laptop if it freezes and does NOT respond to user actions? It all depends on the circumstances. After all, sometimes it is possible to reboot by SIMply disconnecting the laptop from the network.
What if my laptop has a non-removable battery and is powered directly from power? SIMilar circumstances, if you exclude shutdown using the Power button, predict only one scenario. Expectation.
What does it mean? You need to follow these instructions:
- Unplug laptop from power cord.
- Try to restart the computer using the previously listed methods (using the keyboard).
- Wait a few hours.
You can do without step 2. That is, just unplug the laptop and wait. True, you need to be patient. The wait will be long. Until the device battery is fully discharged. Even in a freeze state, the OS consumes energy.
What will happen? The computer will just run down and shut down. After that, it remains just to connect the laptop to power through the wire, wait a few minutes (not necessarily, but desirable), and then turn it on using the Power button.
If the screen turns white when you turn on the laptop, or it is not completely white, but with stripes, then this is a sign of hardware damage. In this case, there may be three damaged nodes:
- Flex cable from the motherboard to the matrix;
- Damaged matrix;
- Malfunction of the components of the motherboard.
Before going to the service, it is recommended to check the reasons for the failure yourself. Obviously, it will not work to repair the motherboard at home, so it remains an extreme option, and the user can only hope that it is not about it.
To check if the matrix is damaged, just connect a monitor or another laptop to a laptop via HDMI and VGA. Further, on the keyboard, you should find a button that switches the picture from the native screen to the additional one. It is located on one of the F buttons with the drawn screens. Pressing it and Fn at the same time can start displaying on the spot monitor. If the picture appears, then the problem is really in the matrix itself. What happened to her, concepts without disassembly is impossible, but there are a lot of reasons for breakdown. shock, burnout, end of service life. In any case, a trip to the service center is required to replace the display.
If the matrix behaves incorrectly during operation. a white screen appears, the picture flickers, stripes appear, or when you try to change the position of the display, the image stops being displayed, it is likely that the problem is in the loops. It is impossible to change them on your own, and moreover, when the loop breaks down, the entire matrix is usually changed. But sometimes the problem is that they have moved away from their mounts, and it is enough just to reconnect everything.
To check the functionality of the loop, you need to disassemble the laptop, for this you need to find a disassembly diagram or an overview. Further, it is worth visually assessing the condition of the plume: mechanical damage is visible, it can be a fracture, crack, black bloom and other signs. If nothing of the kind is noticeable, then you should disconnect them and reconnect. It is quite possible that after this the problem will go away by itself.
A white screen on a laptop is a sign of a malfunction of the card driver or the monitor itself, or the action of viruses. The first thing that needs to be done when such a situation arises is to install an antivirus on the laptop and carry out a complete cleaning of the system. If this cannot be done due to the fact that the device does not have time to complete the procedure for searching and eliminating viruses due to the appearance of a white screen, you should enter the safe mode and clean it.
A good option for such cases is to use the Dr.Web CureIt utility. It is free and does not require installation on the device. It is quite SIMple to work in it, you just need to select the directories that you want to check, and then click “eliminate threats” if any viruses were found. However, the choice of antivirus is a personal matter of each user, so there is no specific recipe here.
If cleaning the gadget from malicious software did not help get rid of the white screen, then you need to update the drivers. There are several options. download them directly for devices responsible for graphics, or update all software at once. It is better to update everything, since the update, in principle, needs to be done regularly.
There are special utilities that allow you to automatically carry out all the procedures. Driver Pack Solution is a good example. The user is required to launch it, then the program itself will find all the appropriate update package for all device drivers.
Reasons for the appearance of a white screen on a laptop
One of the problems that a user may encounter with everyday use of a laptop is a white screen. This phenomenon is infrequent, but possible, so you should figure out what caused the white screen on a laptop. The reasons can be divided into system and hardware reasons. The first group is removable at home, the second will require contacting a service center.
A white screen is unpleasant, but the good news is that there are few reasons for it. You can check them all yourself, but not all are renovated at home. In any case, by following the recommendations proposed above, it is quite possible to get rid of the problem, but if this does not help, then the service center will come to the rescue.
Typical causes of failure
- Power failure, battery, charging, or mains problem. For example, when the battery is critically low, the laptop may shutdown.
- Failure of the display, loop, backlight lamps
- Overheating, abrupt shutdown of laptops by protection, failure of the south or north bridges. Cooler problems, clogged ventilation
- Windows errors
- Incorrect system and BIOS settings
- Excessive amount of software, games, “heavy” programs, especially those infected with viruses. This causes errors in the OS.
- RAM or CPU issue
- Lost contact in the slots of the device modules. It turns out due to shaking, mechanical damage, dust inside the computer case
- Liquid spills, falls, bumps and carelessness.
- Individual malfunctions. Depends on design features, manufacturers and models (see PC manual).
What to do. the laptop turns on, but the screen is black?
The matter lies in the following reasons:
- Have you recently switched your laptop to an external monitor with the original one turned off? Check if “dimming” is turned off by a couple of buttons.
- “Clogging” of the hard drive with unnecessary and non-working files, lack of cleaning and optimization. Clean up your Hard Drive and Registry. After removing the trash and overloading, an image will appear and the device’s performance will improve.
- All indicators are on, judging by the sounds, ventilation is working, and loading is in progress. Display only does NOT show signs of life. Defective card or matrix. Are there images when connecting an external monitor? Exactly. card breakage. Few users can handle its replacement, call the workshop.
- Problems in the monitor cable and its connectors. Check the connections and the loop itself, Reconnect.
- Could jam the shutdown button on the screen. Happens from damage or liquid ingress. In older laptops, it is located on the front panel. It is more difficult with the newer ones, here the button is in the turning mechanism. Laptops are disassembled to repair it.
- The backlight is defective or its inverter (transformer) burned out. In this case, there are first image distortions, along the edges of the monitor or completely. The display in such cases may be white or gray. The backlight is working, but the screen is black. a malfunction in the matrix or its connection. Unsuitable lamps are changed in workshops. Same with the transformer, yes, sometimes it needs to be restored. They inject transformer oil with a syringe, etc. Constantly disassembling the PC. Easier and more profitable replacement.
Black screen on laptop. what to do?
- Battery recovery
- Power supply repair
- Cleaning from dust and dirt
- Laptop makes noise
- The battery is NOT charging
- Laptop screen replacement
- Black screen on laptop
- Laptop power problems
- Why does the laptop restart itself
- Laptop won’t turn on
- HDMI port not working on laptop?
- Laptop keyboard not working
- Laptop turns off frequently?
- The laptop heats up and shuts down
- The laptop does not see the Wi-Fi network?
- Laptop imaging problems
The laptop does not turn on or you see a “black screen”? Firstly, there is no need to worry and rush to contact a specialist. Most often, you can eliminate the cause yourself. “Home recipes” will NOT work, then Contact the service center. complex components, is done only there. Yes, and minor repairs, soldering of parts, if you are NOT a radio amateur or computer technician. necessarily in the workshop. We have everything necessary to eliminate the “black screen” and other breakdowns of the laptop.
How to deal with problems yourself?
It is quite possible to restore your PC on your own. If the work concerns hardware settings or an uncomplicated change of modules (when they are NOT soldered). For a rough diagnosis, use the above list of the causes of the malfunction. Consider safe and effective ways to troubleshoot problems:
Connect your laptop to the network, it is probably just dead. See battery status. No effect? We inspect the connection along the circuit: outlet, charger, computer. Disconnect and stir the plugs.
Use a different monitor, does an image appear? Then you can try to fix the screen problem. View the system settings, it is better to return them to the basic ones. As a last resort (if you have the skills), try to disconnect the matrix cable, check and clean the contacts. The loop is damaged. it is useless to mount a new one. If all else fails, the matrix is most likely faulty. Then you cannot avoid the help of a specialist.
Did the PC work long and hard? Overheating possible, let it cool well. Vents Must NOT be obstructed. Did you hear the noise of the cooler, hot air? If the ventilation is out of order, the computer turns off automatically. Parts may suffer from severe overheating, the south bridge often burns out. Replace Thermal Grease and Purchase a Cooling Pad.
Rollback or reinstallation of the OS helps (only the display does not work). In this case, errors and settings are reset. For a start, you can limit yourself to returning to a restore point (when everything was fine). DOES NOT work. reset completely (if there is ATS on a USB flash drive or disk).
- Disconnecting your computer from an electrical outlet.
- Remove the battery.
- Press the power button for 30-60 seconds (charge reset)
Resetting BIOS to factory settings.
- Turn on, press the Del and F2. F12 keys
- In the menu, click on Load BIOS Setup Defaolts or Load Safe-Fail Defaolts.
- Reboot, done.
BIOS reinstallation helps. The order is:
- Download the installation file from the manufacturer’s website
- You need to enter data in the support section in the model and OS so that there is no error
- Before installation Make sure the battery is charged and the power adapter is connected. Power outage during BIOS setup kills laptops. We are waiting for the end of the process.
Inspect the installed software and games. Probably, the reason for the problems is precisely in them, remove unnecessary and problematic programs and games. It is more convenient to do this with SIMple utilities like Glari Utilities and CCleaner.
Removing the RAM module with cleaning the connectors helps to light the screen.
- Disconnect the power, remove the battery
- Next Unscrew the separate RAM cover or Remove the laptop cover
- Take your time, bend the fasteners, take out the modules. Use a thin object, not a pointed object, if there is no tool
- Clean slots
- There may be additional contacts, then it is better to insert the module strip into them at an angle of 45 °
- Further in reverse order
Clogging of connectors and ventilation occurs due to dust. The structure must be cleaned regularly, once every 1-2 years. In some modifications, the RAM may be soldered, then replacement only by the master.
Liquid spilled. Thorough drying is necessary if there is a lot of moisture Remove the cover. Only after that, perform the above manipulations. Helps cleaning connectors, reinstalling the RAM bar.
The laptop suffered serious mechanical damage (impacts, falls from a height), are there cracks in the case? Better to contact the service center, there may be damage to the motherboard.
For any action, you must carefully read the user manual.
Devices of different types, models, firms have design and control features. The manual may contain descriptions of rare problems inherent only to this computer. If the problem is serious, you cannot fix the breakdown. Stop there. NOT skillful intervention in equipment is more expensive than ordinary repairs in service centers.
After entering the BIOS password, there is a Windows 7 boot icon, the monitor has turned off (went into power-saving mode), the f8 key does NOT work.
- Try to reset the BIOS, took out the battery from the motherboard.
- Power saving mode will not work immediately after starting the computer, rather the problem is related to one of the components. Check the connection of the card with the motherboard, card with the monitor, etc.
- If everything is in order with the BIOS, and Windows 7 boots, reinstall the OS. This seems to be the easiest way to get rid of the black screen.
After changing to Windows 7 from 32bit to 64bit, a black screen began to appear. Everything works when connected to a TV.
The 64-bit version may not have drivers installed on the monitor or card. Check on the manufacturer’s website if the monitor supports this OS. There is a suspicion that your vga monitor is not supported by this edition of Windows. Try to boot Windows in Safe Mode or with the “Enable Low Resolution Mode (640×480)” option.
I am using VirtualBox with Linux. Turned off the virtual machine, after boot. black screen with an underscore on the left.
If you save the state on the virtual machine (Suspend), in principle, no problems should arise. If you turn off the virtual machine, then Linux tries to boot when you turn it on. Why a black screen with an underscore appears after a Linux reboot is a separate question. Check the key settings of the virtual machine. If the error persists, try installing Linux on Vmware Player.
When I turned on the computer, nothing appeared. The camera is working and the computer is on. What is the problem. RAM or hard drive?
To diagnose the problem, it is advisable to recall previous events. Whether the computer showed any symptoms of a crash (hard disk noise), whether you deleted system files on the disk, etc. This will help narrow down the list of possible causes. Next. Trace at what stage the black screen appears. If the hardware initialization is successful, then the problem is in the operating system. That is, instead of starting Windows. In this case, we advise you to reinstall the OS from a bootable USB flash drive or disk.
I changed the card. I start the PC. there is a BIOS, and then just a dark screen. This is because of the drivers?
Maybe. Go to Windows Safe Mode, uninstall old drivers and install new ones. Then restart your PC. If it doesn’t help, read the full article text.
Black screen during the Windows reinstallation phase
I get a black screen and a cursor, I reinstalled Windu and still I can’t reinstall it until the end. After the first reboot, during the installation process, when Windows boots, a black screen and a cursor.
- Try using a different installation disc or version of Windows.
- The reason for the black screen and interrupted download can be either software or hardware. For example, the hard disk contains bad sectors or a usb flash drive, or the disk from which Windows is being installed is damaged.
- Try to install the operating system on a different hard disk partition.
Using a bootable disk (Live CD) to fix errors and diagnose a black screen
When a black screen appears, it is advisable to check your computer and operating system for viruses. This can be done using a “live CD”. We recommend using the 4MRescueKit boot disk to enter the system recovery mode. In addition to actually checking for viruses, livecd 4MRescueKit includes data recovery modules, file backup and a disk manager like PartitionMagic. Even if this does not help get rid of the black screen of death, you can at least prepare for reinstalling the operating system or diagnose the health of the hard drive in this mode. Live CD fixes problems regardless of version: it could be Windows or Linux.
4MRescueKit Download Kit Helps Eliminate Software Errors on Disk
Worst Thing That Can Happen: A Hard Drive Failed
Summary. In this guide, I tried to remember and collect from the Internet the most complete list of problems due to which a black computer screen appears. The OS version does not really matter, Windows 8, “dozen” or even outdated XP. If none of the methods helped, something is not clear, or you have your own ways to solve this problem. Please ask questions and add your ideas in the comments.
Monitor or component problems
The reason for the black screen may lie on the surface: the monitor does not work. This may be due to the loss of contact between the monitor and the card, or the power cable is damaged / not plugged into the outlet. So be sure to check the connection.
As for the laptop, it is unlikely that the matrix “fell off” from the motherboard. To disable it, you need good reasons: for example, mechanical impact on the screen. In this case, you will see that there are obvious damages on the screen: scratches, broken pixels, etc.
In addition to the monitor, we recommend examining the system unit. Check if the card is seated in the corresponding slots on the motherboard, whether there is power supply to all PC components. This should be done only if you have the skills to assemble / disassemble a computer / laptop.
Disable unnecessary programs and services from Windows autorun
There is a wonderful utility called msconfig, with its help you can speed up Windows boot. Although modern computers load the OS quickly, boot optimization can remove the black screen for a few seconds.
- Start. Execute. In the window, enter msconfig.
- Services tab. Here you can disable unnecessary services.
- Startup tab. To enable / disable programs at startup.
In Windows 10, startup items can be disabled through the Task Manager (Startup tab). The status bar displays the status of the application.
Start Windows in Safe Mode on your computer
One of the most likely reasons why Windows or another operating system won’t load. System conflict due to which the OS cannot work correctly after turning on the PC. This can be caused, for example, by the fact that the user installs an incompatible program or drivers that conflict with Windows, and when the laptop / PC is turned on, the conflict will make itself felt from an unpleasant side. In the form of a black screen. How to remove it?
Fortunately, the developers of Windows have provided the possibility of a safe mode of entry into the operating system, which is designed specifically to eliminate various compatibility issues. By entering safe mode, you can remove all problems on the computer, resolve conflicts, then load Windows in normal mode.
So, to enter Safe Mode on a computer:
- Remove from the computer all media and devices that may affect the boot Windows (flash drives, disks, etc.)
- Restart or turn on the computer, depending on its current state.
- To enter Safe Mode, hold down the F8 key during boot. If there are several operating systems on the PC (laptop or desktop), then select the appropriate one from the list and then press F8 again to go to the safe Windows boot mode.
Further, in the boot parameters in safe mode, you can select one of the items and solve the problems of a black screen on a laptop or desktop computer.
Use a restore point to roll back the system on the computer and fix problems on the computer
It happens that the reason for the failure of the OS is impossible to identify, removing drivers and programs that cause conflicts does not help: anyway, when the computer boots up, a black screen appears.
What to do about the problem? Reinstall the operating system? If Windows still starts up when you turn on your computer, don’t rush to “bury” it. We recommend that you first try to roll back Windows to a working state using a restore point (you can do this by booting into safe mode). For more information on how to rollback the system, read the link.
If the computer does not start. Using the previous Windows restore point
Resolving driver conflicts if the computer does not start, a black screen appears
An example of a SIMilar problem:
Installed Windows 7, 10, restored to factory settings (native Windows image). But nothing helps. SIMply put, with Windows 10 for the first time, everything is buzzing and everything is fine, but as the drivers get onto the card (intel hd3000 and radeon 7600), flickering and a black screen occur, after which recovery and safe mode do not work. That is, Windows 10 dies, after installing drivers a black screen.
If you think that the black screen problem may be related to a conflict of card drivers on a computer or laptop, then:
- In the Secure Boot menu, select “Enable Low Resolution Mode”.
- After successfully logging into the operating system account via Device Manager or Control Panel, remove the conflicting ATI / NVIDIA driver.
- Reboot your computer
- Possible conflict between motherboard and card drivers. You need to try different combinations of drivers. To avoid reinstalling Windows every time you experiment, create a restore point and roll back to the previous restore point when a black screen appears.
- If the OS boots in normal mode correctly (the Desktop and the Windows cursor appear), then the black screen problem is really related to incorrect behavior after installing the drivers. Go to the card manufacturer’s website and download the latest version to your hard drive, try updating the drivers again.
- If the black screen continues to appear, try the other solutions outlined in this guide. For example, remove “harmful” programs.