How to increase the random access memory (RAM) of a laptop in 5 steps: methods and tips
The number of required gigabytes of RAM depends on what the user needs to work with on a laptop. When is it worth increasing memory, how to choose it correctly and how to install it in a PC, the article tells.
How to install RAM in a laptop
As a rule, manufacturers of devices with several RAM slots provide for quick access to them by equipping the cases with a separate cover. If it is not there, then the entire lower part will have to be unscrewed and removed.
- Power off the laptop.
- Remove the battery. If the battery is non-removable, it will need to be disconnected after the user reaches the hardware of the device.
- Remove the screws from the cover with a screwdriver. Under it, the user will find the RAM, the strips of which are in the slots.
- If necessary, remove the old modules by gently bending the latches.
- Insert the new strip so that the grooves match. It is required to fix the modules tightly: until they click.
- Connect battery.
- Turn on the laptop.
Attention! If to access the modules it is necessary to remove not a separate cover, but the entire rear part of the case, you should be extremely careful not to damage the structure.
What is a laptop RAM upgrade for??
Upgrading RAM by setting another bar or replacing an old part with a new one is a good solution not only in cases where the RAM “flew”. The larger volume of this component of the laptop increases its performance.
- after updating the OS, the laptop began to work slower;
- during operation, the PC reports a lack of RAM;
- modern resource-intensive programs do not start, although the rest of the laptop parameters meet their system requirements.
It should be borne in mind: 32-bit operating systems can only function on a PC with a maximum of four gigabytes of RAM. Increasing this volume will require reinstalling the OS.
How to choose a new plank correctly
Let’s say a laptop has a four-gigabyte module, there are two slots for DDR4 RAM, and the motherboard is designed for a maximum of 16 GB. Then the user can increase the operative:
- twice. put 2 4GB RAM.
- four times. throw out the old bar and install two new modules of 8 GB each.
In addition to the maximum supported volume and type, when choosing RAM modules, it is necessary to take into account that the speed increases in two-channel mode. It should also be remembered that the maximum volume is indicated for all laptop sockets. For example, if a user wants to increase the RAM of a laptop, for example, Lifebook A555, up to 16 GB, he needs 2 modules of 8 GB, as described above. One bar of the maximum supported volume will not work.
Determine the number of RAM slots on a laptop
The system will display how many slots the laptop is designed for, and also show how many of them are busy. However, this information can be inaccurate, moreover, other OS versions do not give it, so it is better to use a special program. The free CPU-Z application will do. It is downloaded from the official site, you can download the archive so that the program opens without installing.
Tip: Sometimes this utility is wrong in terms of the number of slots. To find out how many sockets are installed in a laptop, you can set its exact model in an Internet search engine and see the specifications.
How to find out what type of RAM is in my laptop
You can see what kind of RAM is in the laptop using the task manager in the tenth Windows. You will need to enter the “Performance” section and find the “Speed” item. Information will be displayed not only about the frequency with which the bar works, but also about its type.
What memory is needed for laptops
Before choosing RAM, you need to understand a couple of things:
- what kind of RAM is needed: they also differ in type and speed, for example, DDR4 is faster than the third version;
- how many slots for slats are in the case.